PDA

View Full Version : jaguars looking into geno smith

slc chief
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Jaguars send group to West Virginia Pro Day

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 13, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/350x-545-e1349012392473.jpg?w=226 Getty ImagesThe Jaguars have the No. 2 pick in April’s draft. And they would seem to be giving the impression of doing every bit of due diligence on West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8326/geno-smith), who’s regarded as the top passing prospect available.
The Jaguars said Wednesday (https://twitter.com/jaguars/status/311992434324287488) that general manager David Caldwell (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6410/david-caldwell), head coach Gus Bradley, offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch, senior vice president Tony Khan and player personnel director Terry McDonough will be attending West Virginia’s pro day on Thursday in Morgantown. Per the West Virginia athletics website, every NFL team is expected to have a presence (http://www.wvusports.com/blogs.cfm?blog=footballBlog&story=23235) at the pro day.
The Jaguars are somewhat unsettled at quarterback. Blaine Gabbert (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6451/blaine-gabbert) has had a challenging first two NFL seasons, and the general manager who drafted him (Gene Smith) is gone. Moreover, Bradley will be Gabbert’s fourth head coach in his short pro career. Likewise, veteran Chad Henne (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4684/chad-henne) is also a holdover from an old regime. In February, Caldwell told NFL.com that there would be “a wide-open competition (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143857/article/blaine-gabbert-has-to-earn-jacksonville-jaguars-qb-job)” at quarterback.

slc chief
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
why in the chiefs thread???? because this would be awesome for the chiefs if the jaguars start showing alot of interest in geno smith. it happens every year. the closer the draft get's. the more teams start falling in love with top tier qb's. geno smith stands out above all the others. with buffalo cutting fitzpatrick and arizona desperate hopefully one of those 2 teams in a pakage deal. give us there 2nd round pick swap 1st rounders with us and we give them a 5th rounder to sweeten the deal.

jap1
03-13-2013, 09:46 PM
We would be giving up way too much if we are throwing in an extra pick. Granted we wouldn't really be losing much because moving back 5 spots likely won't change who we are after, but that is why I would settle for only swapping firsts and getting their 2nd. That is unless you are talking about trading with the jags, then we would need to throw in an extra pick.

MyManHali
03-13-2013, 10:30 PM
No worries, we have Alex Cassel!

AkChief49
03-13-2013, 11:32 PM
We would be giving up way too much if we are throwing in an extra pick. Granted we wouldn't really be losing much because moving back 5 spots likely won't change who we are after, but that is why I would settle for only swapping firsts and getting their 2nd. That is unless you are talking about trading with the jags, then we would need to throw in an extra pick.
I agree. We have the 1st pick and already talk of discounting it? I realize there is no Luck or RGIII in this draft and a discount will probably have to happen, but a 1000 points?. If we were to trade with Buffalo or Arizona and swapped 1st round picks and they gave us their 2nd rounder, they still end up with a great deal, by about a thousand points. (according to draft value chart)

texaschief
03-14-2013, 12:58 AM
No worries, we have Alex Cassel!

So clever.

In every thread. This sh!t is getting real old. It's done. Get over it or get out. 95% of this fan base is excited about the new direction of this franchise and all you want to do is piss your sour grapes all over the place. How bout you take a few months to catch your breath, calm the f@<k down, and we'll talk again when the preseason starts. I have a pretty high tolerance for opposing views because I know that I can be abrasive and not mean to as well. But I know that if I'm starting to get tired of this B.S., then there are others in here who won't speak up who are also getting tired of it as well.

Being a fan of this team now means you're an Alex Smith fan by default. Either you are a fan or you're not. Figure it out.

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 01:35 AM
So clever.

In every thread. This sh!t is getting real old. It's done. Get over it or get out. 95% of this fan base is excited about the new direction of this franchise and all you want to do is piss your sour grapes all over the place. How bout you take a few months to catch your breath, calm the f@<k down, and we'll talk again when the preseason starts. I have a pretty high tolerance for opposing views because I know that I can be abrasive and not mean to as well. But I know that if I'm starting to get tired of this B.S., then there are others in here who won't speak up who are also getting tired of it as well.

Being a fan of this team now means you're an Alex Smith fan by default. Either you are a fan or you're not. Figure it out.

In all seriousness, why is Denver who was 13-3 with Peyton Manning last year signing impact FA while we are left with Alex Cassel's 4.6 yards per pass? Is the RT we are going to draft going to be able to cover Decker, Thomas and Welker? They also signed DRC who did not have a good year last year but has potential to help their secondary.

How much does a RT with the number 1 pick improve our record? We even traded the 34th pick which could of went towards a starting corner. What in the hell are we doing to offset Denver? Are we just throwing in the towel for the next 2-3 seasons?

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 01:38 AM
So clever.

New Direction?

In 2009, we traded the 34th overall pick for a game manager QB with a limited skillset.

In 2013, we traded the 34th overall pick for a game manager QB with a limited skillset.

In 2009, we wasted the 3rd overall pick on a valueless postion.

In 2013, we're likely going to waste the only #1 overall pick we've ever had on a valueless position. (RT)

In 2009, we signed a bunch of "low-B" and "C" tier FA's while difference makers went to other teams.

In 2013, we've signed a bunch of "low-B" and "C" tier FA's and not a single difference maker.

Justin5772002
03-14-2013, 02:16 AM
MyMan.... Answer this question please....the spots that you feel we were weak at this last year, are those players back doing it again? I think you have to answer that with no! IMO we kept the strengths, and brought some guys in here to fill the most vital positions that we needed help at, therefore going in a new direction. We can't have the #1 at every position cap wise we would be dead with 4-5 #1s. AND GENO SURE AS HELL WOULD NOT BE A #1 at QB. Clark hunt already said he tried going for Peyton but that ship has sailed now its time to fix you face, wipe off those tears, support your team, and save the I TOLD YOU SOs for when you actually know for a fact based on play THIS SEASON that we have made some bad choices!!!!

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 02:31 AM
MyMan.... Answer this question please....the spots that you feel we were weak at this last year, are those players back doing it again? I think you have to answer that with no! IMO we kept the strengths, and brought some guys in here to fill the most vital positions that we needed help at, therefore going in a new direction. We can't have the #1 at every position cap wise we would be dead with 4-5 #1s. AND GENO SURE AS HELL WOULD NOT BE A #1 at QB. Clark hunt already said he tried going for Peyton but that ship has sailed now its time to fix you face, wipe off those tears, support your team, and save the I TOLD YOU SOs for when you actually know for a fact based on play THIS SEASON that we have made some bad choices!!!!

The most vital position besides qb is cb, which our GM has not addressed. He brought in Robinson but he is more of a Nickel corner, not a starter. Other than Bowe we have no answer at WR, another need position, and to make matters worse we have Alex Cassel at qb.

We better be focused on defense because we do not have a qb who will put up a lot of points. Alex Cassel didn't win games until he had the best defense in the league (along with the number 1 rushing game)

I will not support the same ol same ol like many here will. The "true" fans can keep supporting mediocrity, it's the same thing each regime change with the same results. This regime won't be any different.

The only difference is our 8 win season will come 1 year earlier and we will not likely see the number 1 pick ever again. Nothing like bringing in mediocre FA when your division leader is anchored by Peyton Manning. It's the same conservative BS.

Justin5772002
03-14-2013, 02:44 AM
But do you agree with this regime keeping the good players and getting some new players at the positions where we needed a change? So much movement on this team means they have a plan. You would rather see a 2-3 win season again next year? At least we have something to cheer for this season, half wins might not get us Super Bowl but very much an upgrade from last season! And I'm sorry I don't see a point in crying that we will never have the #1 overall pick again u can keep it I strive to win!

Justin5772002
03-14-2013, 02:50 AM
Dorsey being a talent scout should be able to bring in some sleeper players late in rounds also. Tom Brady NUFF SAID

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 02:56 AM
But do you agree with this regime keeping the good players and getting some new players at the positions where we needed a change? So much movement on this team means they have a plan. You would rather see a 2-3 win season again next year? At least we have something to cheer for this season, half wins might not get us Super Bowl but very much an upgrade from last season! And I'm sorry I don't see a point in crying that we will never have the #1 overall pick again u can keep it I strive to win!

What positions where we needed a change? We don't even have a starting CB or WR opposite of Flowers and Bowe, and when we do bring in one or the other they won't be top tier. The rumor is Sean Smith will be brought in and even Chiefs Crowd members are moaning about that move.

You don't understand, Alex Cassel is a conservative game manager. A conservative game manager who does not put up yards or throw for tds shouldn't be acquired for a second pick and considered a long term solution. He didn't start winning games until he had the best D in the league with the number 1 rushing game. He doesn't have much upside, that is nothing to be excited about.

texaschief
03-14-2013, 03:57 AM
What positions where we needed a change? We don't even have a starting CB or WR opposite of Flowers and Bowe, and when we do bring in one or the other they won't be top tier. The rumor is Sean Smith will be brought in and even Chiefs Crowd members are moaning about that move.

You don't understand, Alex Cassel is a conservative game manager. A conservative game manager who does not put up yards or throw for tds shouldn't be acquired for a second pick and considered a long term solution. He didn't start winning games until he had the best D in the league with the number 1 rushing game. He doesn't have much upside, that is nothing to be excited about.

After the 2nd day of free agency and one FA CB off the board, ALL IS LOST!!!

nigeriannightmare
03-14-2013, 08:00 AM
My Man Hali. You were right about last season. But you are wrong about Alex smih. He did not succeed until be had a good coach the defense has always been stout. The coaching offensively was terrible he got a good QB coach and played well. Secondly our new staff hasn't even practiced yet and you are throwing in the towel.

I suggest you post on CHIEFS PLANET! All that group does is ***** and whine and moan and scream detest for two guys who have had nothing but success in the NFL in Dorsey and Reid. Dorsey said and this is a quote "I'm going to build this team with a philosophy that's been ingrained in me, by bringing and drafting the BPA". He did it for Green Bay hell do it for us.

Seek
03-14-2013, 08:43 AM
In all seriousness, why is Denver who was 13-3 with Peyton Manning last year signing impact FA while we are left with Alex Cassel's 4.6 yards per pass? Is the RT we are going to draft going to be able to cover Decker, Thomas and Welker? They also signed DRC who did not have a good year last year but has potential to help their secondary.

How much does a RT with the number 1 pick improve our record? We even traded the 34th pick which could of went towards a starting corner. What in the hell are we doing to offset Denver? Are we just throwing in the towel for the next 2-3 seasons?

The sky is falling. We have not even draft yet and DOOM and Gloom. Until the Chiefs do draft a LT/RT or start working on a contract naming who they will draft. Why rub your jewels wrong with your pants in a wad.

Lord-Chiefy
03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Mymanhali. Errrrrrrrrr. Mymanorton. Errrrrrrr whatever your new name after your next ban will be..get over it! You are the most negative fan I've ever seen.

Chiefster
03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
My Man Hali. You were right about last season. But you are wrong about Alex smih. He did not succeed until be had a good coach the defense has always been stout. The coaching offensively was terrible he got a good QB coach and played well. Secondly our new staff hasn't even practiced yet and you are throwing in the towel.

I suggest you post on CHIEFS PLANET! All that group does is ***** and whine and moan and scream detest for two guys who have had nothing but success in the NFL in Dorsey and Reid. Dorsey said and this is a quote "I'm going to build this team with a philosophy that's been ingrained in me, by bringing and drafting the BPA". He did it for Green Bay hell do it for us.

Ok, I'm going to step in here. I agree with your point of view regarding Alex Smith, Ried and Dorsey, however, I will not condone the suggestion that MMH go elsewhere to post his opinions. As long as he is respectful to the other members here he is free to post whatever opinions he feels are necessary. I can't disagree with him more, but the luxury regular members have that we mods, by virtue of our station here, do not is that they can choose to "ignore" him whether by personal settings or be simply not reading his posts. I don't have to agree with MMH, but I try to make room for varying opinions regardless of how unmerited I believe them to be.

nigeriannightmare
03-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Ok, I'm going to step in here. I agree with you're point of view regarding Alex Smith, Ried and Dorsey, however, I will not condone the suggestion that MMH go elsewhere to post his opinions. As long as he is respectful to the other members he is free to post whatever opinions he feels are necessary. I can't disagree with him more, but the option regular members have that we mods, by virtue of our station here, do not is that they can choose to "ignore" him whether by personal settings or be simply not reading his posts. I don't have to agree with MMH, but I try to make room for varying opinions regardless of how unmerited I believe them to be.

Chiefster my fault. That's not how I meant it and my fault for not being more clear. I actually enjoy reading MMH's comments and respect his point of view. I was merely saying that CHIEFS PLANET is a site where negative chiefs sentiment is abundant. It shoul read I hate chiefs.com. I member on that board too but damn they are negative negative negative. I was not suggesting leave chiefs crowd was meaning to say spew the negativity over there as it is pretty much all they do. Once again my apologies to MMH.

Chiefster
03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Chiefster my fault. That's not how I meant it and my fault for not being more clear. I actually enjoy reading MMH's comments and respect his point of view. I was merely saying that CHIEFS PLANET is a site where negative chiefs sentiment is abundant. It shoul read I hate chiefs.com. I member on that board too but damn they are negative negative negative. I was not suggesting leave chiefs crowd was meaning to say spew the negativity over there as it is pretty much all they do. Once again my apologies to MMH.

Not a problem man and I get it, no apology necessary bud. I get tired of constant negativity also. :smile

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 02:54 PM

I do post on Chiefs Planet. Go To Hell and I are actually good friends. I just don't understand how we can be optimists here when we are having a similar offseason like we did in 2009. New regime change same offseason moves.

You have to admit, there was a lot of positivity coming from this username when we fired Fat Scott and hired Dorsey/Reid. I was excited, ready for the next step, then that nice fantasy came crashing down when the trade for Alex Smith happened.

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 03:06 PM

What should I expect out of Alex Cassel that would make me a believer? This is a qb who has won only when he has had a stacked team around him. Doesn't that sound familiar?

I will tell you what, since we traded so high to get him. I will make you a deal, if Alex Cassel is top 10 in YPG, rating and has a 10 win year I will leave this board forever.

Deal?

Sick Dog
03-14-2013, 04:11 PM
I do post on Chiefs Planet. Go To Hell and I are actually good friends. I just don't understand how we can be optimists here when we are having a similar offseason like we did in 2009. New regime change same offseason moves.

You have to admit, there was a lot of positivity coming from this username when we fired Fat Scott and hired Dorsey/Reid. I was excited, ready for the next step, then that nice fantasy came crashing down when the trade for Alex Smith happened.

"New regime same off season moves" are you following the same team we all are? How can you say same off season moves...Smith - QB, Smith CB, Robinson, De Vito, Daniel, Fasano, Avery...really:wtfdude:

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 04:19 PM
"New regime same off season moves" are you following the same team we all are? How can you say same off season moves...Smith - QB, Smith CB, Robinson, De Vito, Daniel, Fasano, Avery...really:wtfdude:

We traded our 34th pick just like we did in 2009 for a bum qb, and a bunch of b-/c+ acquisitions. Yes, same old story. Instead of drafting corner of Brandon Flowers calibur with our second round pick, we get Sean Smith. Smith is solid, he has good size and decent coverage skills, but only has 5 ints in 4 seasons, we are also paying this guy 6 million dollars a year.

We are making a lot of dumb moves this offseason.

texaschief
03-14-2013, 04:38 PM
With exception of the Sean Smith contract, all the FA contracts have relatively low guarantees. If these players don't pan out, releasing them would be relatively painless. If they DO pan out, worse case scenario, we're payin fair market value. The Sean Smith contract is the only one that bothers me at this point. The Chiefs are going to build the future of this franchise through the draft. Right now, they're just plugging holes... and doing a very good job of it. There's only one temaining glaring need at ILB before we hit the draft.

nigeriannightmare
03-14-2013, 04:43 PM

Kinda figured. Same sig.

AkChief49
03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
MMH has a valid point. On paper, Alex and Matt are virtually the same QB. However, I think the FA moves we have made are going to help us. I'm trying to remain positive, want to remain positive, I love me some some Chiefs!

I'm not fully on board with the Smith trade. He has, however, been a starter, was a former #1 pick, has had countless OC's to deal with etc. I still believe we gave up way too much for him. On the other hand, if he works out and wins us some games, call me fickle, I'll love me some Smith. Since we are at the bottom, there is only one direction this team can go now.

I believe with Reid at the helm we will win. Since Vermiel retired it seems every season our expectations crescendo and build up and wham! the alarm clock kicks on and Sonny and Cher are singing "I Got You Babe" and we're smashing the clock radio over and over and over.........:smile

jap1
03-14-2013, 05:49 PM
There's only one temaining glaring need at ILB before we hit the draft.

I wouldnt even call it a glaring need. After all, in passing situations, we will probably be in a nickel with Robinson/Arenas coming in for the ILB that is not DJ. And given the type of offense that Denver runs (naming them because they are who we need to unseat) we will be in the nickel a lot. So I wouldnt list a position that will be playing around 2/3rds of the downs as a glaring need. This I think can easily be filled with a 3rd-5th rounder and if done right could be the heir apparent to slide over to the primary ILB role once DJ starts to get older/slower (in 3+ years).

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 07:08 PM
With exception of the Sean Smith contract, all the FA contracts have relatively low guarantees. If these players don't pan out, releasing them would be relatively painless. If they DO pan out, worse case scenario, we're payin fair market value. The Sean Smith contract is the only one that bothers me at this point. The Chiefs are going to build the future of this franchise through the draft. Right now, they're just plugging holes... and doing a very good job of it. There's only one temaining glaring need at ILB before we hit the draft.

Of course they have cheap deals, they are not top tier impact players. If we're going to build through the draft then why did we give up a second rounder for Alex Cassel?

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 07:17 PM
MMH has a valid point. On paper, Alex and Matt are virtually the same QB. However, I think the FA moves we have made are going to help us. I'm trying to remain positive, want to remain positive, I love me some some Chiefs!

I'm not fully on board with the Smith trade. He has, however, been a starter, was a former #1 pick, has had countless OC's to deal with etc. I still believe we gave up way too much for him. On the other hand, if he works out and wins us some games, call me fickle, I'll love me some Smith. Since we are at the bottom, there is only one direction this team can go now.

I believe with Reid at the helm we will win. Since Vermiel retired it seems every season our expectations crescendo and build up and wham! the alarm clock kicks on and Sonny and Cher are singing "I Got You Babe" and we're smashing the clock radio over and over and over.........:smile

The last paragraph was pure genius. Kudos AK that deserves a like.

texaschief
03-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Of course they have cheap deals, they are not top tier impact players. If we're going to build through the draft then why did we give up a second rounder for Alex Cassel?

That's the going rate for a QB via trade. You act like the QB market was loaded with Matt Ryans, Andrew Lucks, Mannings, and great rookie prospects. Everything you hate about Alex Smith, you love about Geno Smith. It really is comical to read your hypocrisies.

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 08:00 PM
That's the going rate for a QB via trade. You act like the QB market was loaded with Matt Ryans, Andrew Lucks, Mannings, and great rookie prospects. Everything you hate about Alex Smith, you love about Geno Smith. It really is comical to read your hypocrisies.

No one is ever a lock to be great. I remember many people trashing Atlanta for taking a huge risk on a qb, how did that workout? Geno has tremendous upside, he is a player you can develop. We even went for the sure thing in 2009, we acquired a "proven" player and he ended up screwing our franchise.

You don't understand why I am upset, I am not upset at Smith coming here. I am upset at what we traded for him and how he is now looked upon as the long term qb solution. Honestly, I believe one of the best things we could of done this offseason was to trade for Smith (not a second round pick) and take Geno at number 1. But now, we have shot ourselves in the foot with committing to a conservative game manager (Cassel 2.0)

This is a qb who didn't win until he had the number 1 defense and rushing game. Matt Cassel has even had more winning seasons than Smith, and he did it in half the time.

nigeriannightmare
03-14-2013, 09:47 PM
No one is ever a lock to be great. I remember many people trashing Atlanta for taking a huge risk on a qb, how did that workout? Geno has tremendous upside, he is a player you can develop. We even went for the sure thing in 2009, we acquired a "proven" player and he ended up screwing our franchise.

You don't understand why I am upset, I am not upset at Smith coming here. I am upset at what we traded for him and how he is now looked upon as the long term qb solution. Honestly, I believe one of the best things we could of done this offseason was to trade for Smith (not a second round pick) and take Geno at number 1. But now, we have shot ourselves in the foot with committing to a conservative game manager (Cassel 2.0)

This is a qb who didn't win until he had the number 1 defense and rushing game. Matt Cassel has even had more winning seasons than Smith, and he did it in half the time.

Matt Ryan is loaded with weapons and this was his first win and second time as a one seed. You do realize Alex smith is a former one overall pick don't you.

matthewschiefs
03-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Matt Ryan is loaded with weapons and this was his first win and second time as a one seed. You do realize Alex smith is a former one overall pick don't you.

His name isn't Geno so he sucks after all the difference from being "noodle arm" or "Cassel 2.0" is .1 yards LOL

Bike
03-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Honestly, I believe one of the best things we could of done this offseason was to trade for Smith (not a second round pick) and take Geno at number 1.

Wow. First of all - there are no QB's out there. None in F/A, none in the draft. Smith was available and we got him. I'm am not saying that Smith is the answer, but he was there and we needed a QB. Done. BTW, he played pretty well the times I have seen him. The Giants/49'ers NFC Championship game was a game for the ages - and it was Smith who QB'd that team to get to that game. He will be are starting QB - so definetely worth a 2nd round pick.
2nd - Geno shouldn't even be considered a first round pick by any team. Certainly not the first pick of the first round. 3rd round talent at best. He played well against high school caliber defenses - not so well against the tougher college defenses.

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 10:44 PM

The Falcons organization was crumbling, they drafted him and he helped turn that organization around. When Matt Ryan was the aP offensive rookie of the year and going to pro bowls Alex Smith was getting boo'd out of the stadium.

Face it, Alex Smith only wins games when he has the 1 number d/rushing game to help him. That is your quarterback.

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 10:46 PM
[/B]

His name isn't Geno so he sucks after all the difference from being "noodle arm" or "Cassel 2.0" is .1 yards LOL

Have fun with your 8-8 years, mediocrity is what this board strives for. It has been apparent for years that the Chiefs as well as their fanbase are scared to death to roll the dice. We supposedly had the "sure thing" in 09 didn't we? And that ruined us for 4 years.

Lord-Chiefy
03-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Hali #$@/#/' off!! I knew you weren't a kc fan!!! "Your 8-8 years" "their fan base"?? Just @$$/$ ff

MyManHali
03-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Wow. First of all - there are no QB's out there. None in F/A, none in the draft. Smith was available and we got him. I'm am not saying that Smith is the answer, but he was there and we needed a QB. Done. BTW, he played pretty well the times I have seen him. The Giants/49'ers NFC Championship game was a game for the ages - and it was Smith who QB'd that team to get to that game. He will be are starting QB - so definetely worth a 2nd round pick.
2nd - Geno shouldn't even be considered a first round pick by any team. Certainly not the first pick of the first round. 3rd round talent at best. He played well against high school caliber defenses - not so well against the tougher college defenses.

He had a very impressive pro day today. But why take the risk when we can go 8-8 with Alex Cassel?

brdempsey69
03-14-2013, 10:55 PM

How many times do I have to tell people that every QB the Chiefs have drafted since the realignment of the AFL-NFL in 1970 has been a BUST <---- what part of that don't people get? That means ZERO success rate. Like it or not, the fact remains that this team seems cursed when it comes to drafting QB's. None of the guys that they have drafted in 43 years could beat out a scatter-armed pitcher in the Cotton States League, let alone play in the NFL.

Do not bother with the "well, we passed on Marino, Montana, Kelly, etc." type of BS, either, because it's totally irrelevant. There are no guarantees whatsoever that they would have had the same success in KC, if the Chiefs had drafted them, that they had elsewhere.

Regarding Alex Smith, personally, I don't give a damn what happened in SF, it's what happens with him now in a Chiefs uniform that really counts.

matthewschiefs
03-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Have fun with your 8-8 years, mediocrity is what this board strives for. It has been apparent for years that the Chiefs as well as their fanbase are scared to death to roll the dice. We supposedly had the "sure thing" in 09 didn't we? And that ruined us for 4 years.

You keep with this Cassel 2.0 BS. Again show me where Cassel has ever won in the playoffs? Show me I'll wait. You CAN'T. HE NEVER HAS. Alex has. Show me where smith went in a 27 game stretch winning almost 75% of his games. Again I'll wait. YOU CAN'T HE NEVER DID. As much as you want to deny it these are FACTS. Cassel and Smith are 2 different QBs. PERIOD. Do they have some things in common sure. But they are NOT the same QB. Stop pretending they are just because your mad we aren't going after your boy Geno.

He had a very impressive pro day today. But why take the risk when we can go 8-8 with Alex Cassel?

He looked good but he wasn't even the best player at his Pro day.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter)
From West Virginia's Pro Day RT @McShay13 (https://twitter.com/McShay13): Geno Smith put on a show. Tavon Austin stole the show!

Really take your lip off his rear end. It's getting sad now.

Bike
03-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Because he aint worth the risk. And he won't be a Chief.

MyManHali
03-15-2013, 12:41 AM
You keep with this Cassel 2.0 BS. Again show me where Cassel has ever won in the playoffs? Show me I'll wait. You CAN'T. HE NEVER HAS. Alex has. Show me where smith went in a 27 game stretch winning almost 75% of his games. Again I'll wait. YOU CAN'T HE NEVER DID. As much as you want to deny it these are FACTS. Cassel and Smith are 2 different QBs. PERIOD. Do they have some things in common sure. But they are NOT the same QB. Stop pretending they are just because your mad we aren't going after your boy Geno.

No, they are actually identical players. 73% of Alex Smith's passes are under 10 yards, how hard is it to have a high completion percentage when you are dumping the ball off on 3 yard flat and crossing routes? 64% of Cassel's throws were under 10 yards. If you thought we dinked and dunked last year you are in for the same thing and MORE this year.
It's easy to win games when you have THE NUMBER 1 D AND RUNNING GAME. Show me what Smith did without either one.

Why is it that he started doing well when he had a stacked team around him? Sounds like Matt Cassel in NE.

He looked good but he wasn't even the best player at his Pro day.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter)
From West Virginia's Pro Day RT @McShay13 (https://twitter.com/McShay13): Geno Smith put on a show. Tavon Austin stole the show!

Really take your lip off his rear end. It's getting sad now.
It's sad that you want a mediocre game manager verses someone that has potential. Someone we can develop from the ground up. This will be the last post I make until the start of the preseason.

MyManHali
03-15-2013, 12:43 AM
Because he aint worth the risk. And he won't be a Chief.

Cassel was worth the risk? Dude, we just spent 4 seasons on a backup who we thought had proven himself for a season in NE. If you don't take the risk you won't contend. Baltimore made the jump, Atlanta did as well. It's time we atleast TRY. Just try it for the love of god. Enough trading for other teams' backups. If we took the risk in 09 and the guy turned out to be a Jamarcus Russell it would not be any worse than it is now.

MyManHali
03-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Those are the last 2 posts I will make. I will be back when preseason starts.

matthewschiefs
03-15-2013, 01:22 AM

Throw out all the stats you want they still don't wipe out the FACT that Smith has done more then Cassel. He has won in the playoffs FACT. But go on ignoring that and keep your lips on Geno's rear end. Lets ignore a guy who has won in the playoffs in the NFL and all BOW to a guy who wasn't even the best player at his pro day.

And you keep talking about dink and dunk so again .1 yards is the difference between going down field and dink and dunk really?

I will see you in the preseason hopefully by then you will be done whineing about Geno Smith and actually be able to deal with FACTS and not the fiction that you create to hate on a guy just because he's not who you wanted.

MyManHali
03-15-2013, 02:18 AM
Throw out all the stats you want they still don't wipe out the FACT that Smith has done more then Cassel. He has won in the playoffs FACT. But go on ignoring that and keep your lips on Geno's rear end. Lets ignore a guy who has won in the playoffs in the NFL and all BOW to a guy who wasn't even the best player at his pro day.

And you keep talking about dink and dunk so again .1 yards is the difference between going down field and dink and dunk really?

I will see you in the preseason hopefully by then you will be done whineing about Geno Smith and actually be able to deal with FACTS and not the fiction that you create to hate on a guy just because he's not who you wanted.

You pulled me back in. It is true that Alex Smith has won ONE playoff game in his 8 seasons as a starter. Outside of that they are pretty identical. Smith has not even thrown for 20 tds in a single season, Cassel has done that twice. Not only do we have to worry about what kind of capable starter he can be, we also have to worry about if he can even stay on the field due to health issues.

Kaepernick who was Smith's backup has played 10 games in the NFL, and he's already a superior QB. It took Alex Smith 8 years to become half the QB Kaepernick is.

matthewschiefs
03-15-2013, 02:58 AM
You pulled me back in. It is true that Alex Smith has won ONE playoff game in his 8 seasons as a starter. Outside of that they are pretty identical. Smith has not even thrown for 20 tds in a single season, Cassel has done that twice. Not only do we have to worry about what kind of capable starter he can be, we also have to worry about if he can even stay on the field due to health issues.

Kaepernick who was Smith's backup has played 10 games in the NFL, and he's already a superior QB. It took Alex Smith 8 years to become half the QB Kaepernick is.

Smith's 1 playoff win is more then Cassel he also had his team on the way back to the playoffs and who knows what he would have done good or bad in the playoffs. Kaepernick had a great run but he was put in a much better spot then Smith was. He was never stuck with Mike Nolan and Mike singletary as head coaches. If he had been in the same spot Smith was in his first few years we don't know what he would have done.

Anther major difference between Cassel and Smith is Cassel never carried over a good run to the fallowing year. Smith did. Is Alex Smith a clear cut superstar cut that's going to take us to the next level no he's not. But he has proven that he can win in the NFL he has shown he can win in the playoffs.Even you have noted that Smith does well in the short passing game. That's what Andy Reid does with his offense. Donovan Mcnabb wasn't airing the ball out. Was he horrible to? His high for YPC was 8.38 that's not even half a yard more then Smith. There's reason to think he could do well. There's reason to question if he will be what we need. But to go on and on about "noddle arm" and "cassel 2.0" just isn't correct Alex Smith is not Matt Cassel PERIOD end of story.

jason1981
03-15-2013, 03:04 AM
Either way you look at it. For better or worse they arw two different qbs. I think smith is a cassel 5.0 just remember smith stats are not as high cuz all of his hc were defensive minded until recently. U cant just go by stats alone. Cuz they have diferent circumstances. You dont know what they were asking him to do in times or what not.

jason1981
03-15-2013, 03:06 AM
And id take a cassel 5.0 anytime. And over geno smith whos overrated and who i think will be another vince young.

MyManHali
03-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Smith's 1 playoff win is more then Cassel he also had his team on the way back to the playoffs and who knows what he would have done good or bad in the playoffs. Kaepernick had a great run but he was put in a much better spot then Smith was. He was never stuck with Mike Nolan and Mike singletary as head coaches. If he had been in the same spot Smith was in his first few years we don't know what he would have done.

Anther major difference between Cassel and Smith is Cassel never carried over a good run to the fallowing year. Smith did. Is Alex Smith a clear cut superstar cut that's going to take us to the next level no he's not. But he has proven that he can win in the NFL he has shown he can win in the playoffs.Even you have noted that Smith does well in the short passing game. That's what Andy Reid does with his offense. Donovan Mcnabb wasn't airing the ball out. Was he horrible to? His high for YPC was 8.38 that's not even half a yard more then Smith. There's reason to think he could do well. There's reason to question if he will be what we need. But to go on and on about "noddle arm" and "cassel 2.0" just isn't correct Alex Smith is not Matt Cassel PERIOD end of story.

So how on earth can you support/defend sending 2 second round picks to the 49ers? The only thing he has proven is he can win with a tremendously stacked team around him. When he didn't have that he didn't win or play well.

Chiefster
03-15-2013, 04:33 AM
So how on earth can you support/defend sending 2 second round picks to the 49ers? The only thing he has proven is he can win with a tremendously stacked team around him. When he didn't have that he didn't win or play well.

Well, he doesn't exactly have chopped liver in KC, and if we do draft Joeckel in first round I believe that will sure up the O-line, but I agree that a second round pick is a steep price to pay. Hopefully we can work some kind of trade to get back our second round pick.

matthewschiefs
03-15-2013, 12:05 PM

Well as I have stated before I do think we paid to much for him. I have no problem saying that.

The talent around Smith was mainly there before Harbaugh was there. They didn't play well just like Smith didn't. That to me shows that coaching was a problem there. And most QBS are going to struggle if there's not the talent around them.

Now let me how can you defend using the BEST PICK IN THE ENTIRE DRAFT on someone who wasn't even the best player at his pro day.

Lord-Chiefy
03-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Pro day Is a joke!!!!!!!! You never hear of a Bad Pro day they get to throw the ball to the friends in shorts!!@ what a joke!!@

doobs_05
03-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Again, did everyone forget the first 6 years of Alex Cassels ( i prefer CANex Smith myself) career? The QBs he was benched for? Do people forget that when we got Cassel he had a great year and people were saying "look what he did in NE".....with a team that was stacked. Now we are saying "look at what he did in SF" with a stacked team, a 2nd year QB came in and lead that team to a SB appearance, so either Kaep is better than Smith or SFs team is so good it doesn't matter who the is QB.

I don't mind MMH at all. He makes fair points. I remember last year everyone yelled and screamed at him because he said the chiefs would go 2-14 or 3-13. I remember one poster getting mad because he couldn't believe the chiefs would have a bad start that MMH predicted, and would not lose to the Chargers and Raiders (well we did......both games....0-6)

And whoever made the groundhogs day reference....AMAZING. We do this almost every year, we sign some FA, go to the draft and we start talking up the team, down talking the rest of the AFC West, season starts......and we are knocked back to reality. 21 years without a playoff win/AFC Championship game appearance?.......43 years since a super bowl appearance or win. AFC West title is nice, but if we don't do anything with it, doesn't mean much except you were better than 3 other teams.

....sorry small rant

matthewschiefs
03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Again, did everyone forget the first 6 years of Alex Cassels ( i prefer CANex Smith myself) career? The QBs he was benched for? Do people forget that when we got Cassel he had a great year and people were saying "look what he did in NE".....with a team that was stacked. Now we are saying "look at what he did in SF" with a stacked team, a 2nd year QB came in and lead that team to a SB appearance, so either Kaep is better than Smith or SFs team is so good it doesn't matter who the is QB.

I don't mind MMH at all. He makes fair points. I remember last year everyone yelled and screamed at him because he said the chiefs would go 2-14 or 3-13. I remember one poster getting mad because he couldn't believe the chiefs would have a bad start that MMH predicted, and would not lose to the Chargers and Raiders (well we did......both games....0-6)

And whoever made the groundhogs day reference....AMAZING. We do this almost every year, we sign some FA, go to the draft and we start talking up the team, down talking the rest of the AFC West, season starts......and we are knocked back to reality. 21 years without a playoff win/AFC Championship game appearance?.......43 years since a super bowl appearance or win. AFC West title is nice, but if we don't do anything with it, doesn't mean much except you were better than 3 other teams.

....sorry small rant

No one is forgetting Smith's first few years. You Can't. But you can't ignore how well he played the last two. You have to look at the whole story. The thing that sticks out to me is how much better that whole 49ers team played in 2011 when they got a real head coach. They were pretty bad in 2010 even we blew them out. But then in 2011-12 they were 2 muffed punts away from being in the super bowl with Alex Smith at QB. They didn't go out and get a whole bunch of new players. There players just played a whole lot better. And they did get a few new players. The poor play wasn't confined to Alex Smith under Nolan and Singletary. It was team wide. To me that points to the coaching staff or lack there of. That "stacked team" didn't all of sudden come with Harbaugh they struggled to.

Are there some things with Smith and Cassel that are similar YEP there are. But there are also some major differences in the two and what they have done. The Alex Cassel Cassel 2.0 just isn't true

MMH makes some fair points I will agree on that. I agree with him that IMO we gave up to much for Smith. But he also changes his standards based on who he likes and doesn't like. The main example is the Dink and dunk thing. He says that's all Smith has done. Well the guy he makes out to be a god amoung Qbs only averaged .1 more YPC so is it realistic that .1 of a yard is the difference between "noodle arm" and the ability to go downfield? I don't think so. There are guys he likes who he will only give you the postives on like Geno. Then there are the guys who he doesn't like who he will only give you the negative like Alex smith and Cassel.

doobs_05
03-15-2013, 04:44 PM
http://wp.advancednflstats.com/airYardsStats.php

They should do this for QBs, calculate the YAC yards out of their totals .

Also I took the completions from here http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/completions/qualified/false

(Alex was 6.1, Rodgers was 6.4, Cassel was 5.8, Breese was 7.3!, Kaep was 8.8!!, C. Ponder was 4.3) So by these numbers.....Alex is probably Average, rodgers average(which makes sense since he has a good WR corp.), Breese and Kaep....yeah lol

Also, take what you want with Alex posting 6.1 and Kaep posting 8.8 on the same team

And yes Matthew i did all this work to try and prove you wrong but kind of ended up not lol

Eydugstr
03-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Well, he doesn't exactly have chopped liver in KC, and if we do draft Joeckel in first round I believe that will sure up the O-line, but I agree that a second round pick is a steep price to pay. Hopefully we can work some kind of trade to get back our second round pick.

+1. Agreed.

Alex Smith might not be the guy that everyone wanted (me included), but bashing the guy before he's even played a down for us won't change a thing. Reid & Dorsey had their minds made up, and inked the deal.

Another observation: Players seem to be flocking to KC - not away, like they did from Pioli. That's saying something about how players view KC's new GM & HC.

AkChief49
03-15-2013, 05:53 PM
+1. Agreed.

Alex Smith might not be the guy that everyone wanted (me included), but bashing the guy before he's even played a down for us won't change a thing. Reid & Dorsey had their minds made up, and inked the deal.

Another observation: Players seem to be flocking to KC - not away, like they did from Pioli. That's saying something about how players view KC's new GM & HC.

Good point. No one wanted to be here because of the last regime. The very reason Manning thumbed his nose at us.

As far the niners go, their offensive line (I'm repeating myself here) has 4 , 1st round picks on the line, including Davis(TE). It took a couple of years for that to meld but that team can run and throw. The defense is stacked, a very balanced team.

I so want Alex to work out. I'm a little on the fence here. The 2nd round pick with another possible 2nd round pick is too much in my opinion. On the other hand, the new coaching regime gives me some hope that this should work. If not I'm going to punch Ned Ryerson in the face!:smile

Eydugstr
03-15-2013, 06:32 PM
I so want Alex to work out. I'm a little on the fence here. The 2nd round pick with another possible 2nd round pick is too much in my opinion. On the other hand, the new coaching regime gives me some hope that this should work. If not I'm going to punch Ned Ryerson in the face!:smile

Yep. All Ned's fault. :lol: Personally I was going to blame the pick wasted on Leon Sandcastle, but Ned will do.

Lord-Chiefy
03-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Hali your a lair!!! You said you weren't gonna post anymore!! Frikin liar!!!@ #/$#$#$

Chiefster
03-15-2013, 10:59 PM
+1. Agreed.

Excellent point! Rep!

Chiefster
03-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Well as I have stated before I do think we paid to much for him. I have no problem saying that.

The talent around Smith was mainly there before Harbaugh was there. They didn't play well just like Smith didn't. That to me shows that coaching was a problem there. And most QBS are going to struggle if there's not the talent around them.

Now let me how can you defend using the BEST PICK IN THE ENTIRE DRAFT on someone who wasn't even the best player at his pro day.

...This!

brdempsey69
03-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Geno Smith isn't getting drafted by KC. Get over it.

Sick Dog
03-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Thank god...Jamarcus Smith I mean Geno Smith

texaschief
03-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Thank god...Jamarcus Smith I mean Geno Smith

I'm pretty sure you meant Pat Smith... err Geno White...

MissingTBone
03-16-2013, 06:38 PM
There are a lot of new pieces on this team. We are not going to come out I the gate strong IMO, but I think as the year progresses we will start playing better. I agree with quite a bit with what MMH says too. I'm not happy with the price we payed for Smith. One second is a fair price I think but possibly another second is too much. I think maybe we can somehow find a way to recover at least next years pick for him. Dorsey is regarded as one of the best evaluators in the league, so if he didn't feel like any of the qbs in the draft were worthy of the number 1 pick then I'll have to side with him for now. I'm not a fan of Geno Smith, and feel he's too big of a question mark at number 1. Alex Smith was the best available qb, so they got him. Next years draft could hold a better option for the team at qb, and I hope if they find a guy they like they pull the trigger. But don't draft a qb just to draft one!!
I like what we have done this offseason so far. I like the direction we are heading in. I think it's gonna be a bumpy ride at first, but I think we have a good coaching staff an some good leaders for on the field. Looking forward to the draft....