PDA

View Full Version : sean smith signed

jason1981
03-14-2013, 03:57 PM
I saw that we sitned him but i heared that he gets burned alot as well. Glad we picked up another cb with manning and now walker in iur division now. But how good is he really?

doobs_05
03-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Doesn't make many INTs, heard it was 5 in the past 4 years?

jason1981
03-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Atleast he has to be an upgrade from last year. Im not sold arenas.

jap1
03-14-2013, 05:41 PM
True, he doesnt have the greatest stats as far as INTs. Some other stats though: the longest play he gave up was 31 yards last year despite the fact that he was the most targeted CB in the NFL. He is only 25 years old (turns 26 in July) and is 6'3 220. It is hard to find corners with that size, or this age. He still has a ceiling that hasnt been reached yet. With our DB coaches, I wouldnt be surprised to see him continue to improve.

I am not too thrilled about the cost of this move. I think he was not worth 6 mil a year. I would have preferred to see it close to 5 mil/yr and less guaranteed, but sometimes you got to spend money to make money. I would rather them try to spend the whole cap than give up on him and try to get someone who is willing to play "cheaper." Yes there are other big name CBs that have better stats that signed for less, but they signed with teams that are perennial contenders. Until we have consistent winning teams, it is going to take $$ to get people to want to play in KC.

drstandley31
03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
I'd rather pay him 6 mil a year, than sit on 24 mil under the cap limit! Can't win when your money's in the bank and not on the field. I think he has a lot of upside. It was stupid losing Carr, but this helps a lot.

jap1
03-14-2013, 06:28 PM
It sucked losing Carr, but this helps a lot.

Fixed, at least in my opinion. It would have been stupid to pay him more than 10 mil/yr since that is what it would have taken to keep him here. If we kept him, we would not have been able to sign half of the players we did and we would have had to cut people just to stay under the cap. The reason we were able to sign so many people this offseason, was becasuse we had a 14 mil surplus last year that we carried over (I guess the only thing we could thank Pioli for) into this year. So if we kept Carr at the price he wanted in Dallas, it would have cost us 10 mil this year, plus another 10 mil out of the carry over ... essentially a 20 mil dollar difference in this year's cap.

Not worth it IMO. I dont think he played that well (esp last year in Dallas) to be worth essentially 20 million.

jason1981
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Yeah carr was good but he still got overpaid but not by much. I think carr is underrated in most peoples eyes.

Eydugstr
03-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Yeah carr was good but he still got overpaid but not by much. I think carr is underrated in most peoples eyes.

Agreed. Look at what happened to our secondary after he left for Dallas. One of Pioli's huge blunders.

doobs_05
03-15-2013, 02:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BqZvSTO.jpg

Well that's not good

jason1981
03-15-2013, 02:52 AM
I think with sean its more about being more consistant. As well with robinson. Maybe flowers can teach them both something and al harris our db coach.

jap1
03-15-2013, 04:08 AM
I have heard a lot of dolphins people say he was very inconsistent. At times he would shut down top receivers, and then at other times he would let scrub receivers get open. Supposedly he is not good in zone, and is good in man to man.

If we are going to be blitzing a lot, you can probably expect a lot of man-man. I like blitzing, especially when it puts Manning on his butt!

Another thing to consider is that the Dolphins played the Jets 2x every year, so Sutton may be very familiar with him (as well as TE Fasano).

gcsofa
03-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Because of his size....6'3" and around 220 lbs, I can see us using him as a Safety. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

jap1
03-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Apparently the contract for Smith wasn't as big as was initially reported.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/17/sean-smiths-base-deal-three-years-16-5-million/

brdempsey69
03-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Because of his size....6'3" and around 220 lbs, I can see us using him as a Safety. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I don't think that will be the case as he's been a CB his whole pro career & the Chiefs had a problem dealing taller WR's last year. Javier Arenas did OK staying with them, but his 5-9 height too often worked against him.

But then again, who knows, what you are suggesting isn't out of the realm.