PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs showing their hand

Miller
03-18-2013, 01:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/report-chiefs-will-listen-to-branden-albert-trade-offers/

Chiefs will listen to Branden Albert trade offers. Must mean that Luke Joeckel is the pick.

brdempsey69
03-18-2013, 01:54 PM
He signed his tender. I can see it now from the folklore "Oh, we don't need a LT with the 1st pick, now". Not correct at all. Albert is said to be wanting 11 million a season. I really think he wants out of KC. We'll see what happens, it should be interesting. Personally, I don't believe there are going to be any takers as the other 31 teams don't see him as a top 10 LT and there are the back issues.

texaschief
03-18-2013, 02:20 PM
"But but but.... he's a good LT... we should just re-sign him. Why would we let our good young talent get away??"

11 MILLION????? IS HE EFFING CRAZY???? Get What you can get and be done with this guy. PEACE!! Joekel/Stephenson is just fine with me. 2 rookie contract guys replacing high priced vets while also upgrading talent level... no brain decision.

brdempsey69
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
This post over at KC.com sums it up

"I'll be playing left tackle," Albert said.
TRANSLATION: If my coaches ask me to change positions, I'll become an overpaid, childish malcontent.

You have to wonder what makes him think that he's in a position to dictate anything? The Chiefs are under no obligation whatsoever to guarantee him a LT spot. He better come to grips with that reality. I'm surprised that the Chiefs tagged him & if he'd been allowed to hit the open market, he'd have gotten a rude awakening if he harbored delusions about another team wanting to pay him above 6 million a year. At least the Chiefs brass showed some class where he was concerned by giving him a chance to make 9.8 million this year and prove his back is OK, so that if he does hit the open market in 2014, then he'd have a better chance to get a lucrative deal.

drstandley31
03-18-2013, 03:04 PM
If he was smart, he'd sign a long term deal with the Chiefs for what they both can agree on, and move to RT. That would line his pockets with deep cash, and prolong his playing career a few extra years. LT and a bad back are a tough assignment.

jap1
03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
I can see people willing to give up a 2nd round pick ths year or next for him. He is a decent starter. Teams like Detroit, Arizona, Chicago, Philly all need an upgrade at LOT. Getting a starting LOT with the potential to become a pro-bowler (doubt he ever reaches that ceiling) for a 2nd round pick is a steal. When you count in the (brief) history of back problems, I think it is an even trade. With Jake Long off the market, Albert is easily the top available veteran.

I would love this trade. I wouldnt even mind trading for a 2nd in next years draft, since if A.Smith doesn't work out for us, we need to be prepared to move up in the draft and look for other options.

Personally, I am fine with an OL with Joeckel at LT and then a competition between Stephenson, Schwartz (maybe even Allen since he played LT in college) and another rookie like Barrett Jones in the 2nd round. I love jones as he has played LT, RG and C at Alabama opening holes for Trent Richardson and Eddy Lacy the last couple of years.

I think Albert wants out of KC. It is no coincidence that hours after a story being "leaked" that KC is listening to trade offers that he signs his tender sheet. If he really wanted to stay in KC and avoid a trade, all he had to do is not sign his tender until right before the season starts (which in retrospect, I wonder if that is what Bowe was trying to accomplish last year).

jason1981
03-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah i dont think teams can talk about trading tell the player signs the tender then they can field calls for him.

brdempsey69
03-18-2013, 04:05 PM
I can see people willing to give up a 2nd round pick ths year or next for him. He is a decent starter. Teams like Detroit, Arizona, Chicago, Philly all need an upgrade at LOT. Getting a starting LOT with the potential to become a pro-bowler (doubt he ever reaches that ceiling) for a 2nd round pick is a steal. .

Sorry, but I must differ with you there. Chicago already signed Bushod from New Orleans and none of those other teams have an extra 2nd round pick. The Miami Dolphins do, and being that they just lost Jake Long, they might be a candidate, but they also have Jonathan Martin to play LT and they drafted him in the 2nd round last year. I really believe the Chiefs would be lucky to get a 3rd round pick at the most from anybody out there.

jap1
03-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Sorry, but I must differ with you there. Chicago already signed Bushod from New Orleans and none of those other teams have an extra 2nd round pick. The Miami Dolphins do, and being that they just lost Jake Long, they might be a candidate, but they also have Jonathan Martin to play LT and they drafted him in the 2nd round last year. I really believe the Chiefs would be lucky to get a 3rd round pick at the most from anybody out there.
Obviously, I am going to differ with you as well. While you are right about Chicago (forgot about the bushrod signing), all the other teams still have a huge need at LOT and all have one 2nd round pick. You don't need to have an extra one. Also, a 2nd round pick next year is still a trade that I would accept. Without knowing the other teams well enough, I don't know if this will happen.

brdempsey69
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Obviously, I am going to differ with you as well. While you are right about Chicago (forgot about the bushrod signing), all the other teams still have a huge need at LOT and all have one 2nd round pick. You don't need to have an extra one. Also, a 2nd round pick next year is still a trade that I would accept. Without knowing the other teams well enough, I don't know if this will happen.

We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out. It should be interesting.

Chiefster
03-18-2013, 06:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_x1VJa6duo

AkChief49
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
I like the Luke idea but I also like the idea of us trading down a few spots and getting E. Fisher or L.Johnson too. Getting back that 2nd round pick would be huge.

Seek
03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Heard this morning that Miami was interest in giving up one of their two second round picks for him. I am guessing by the fact that he signed his Tender so soon, that a deal is already in the works. He has to sign his tender before they can trade him. If that is not the case, then why did he sign it already. He is not required to sign it until the regular season starts.

MissingTBone
03-19-2013, 01:07 PM
God I hop we can trade out of that salary and regain a 2nd rounder. Hoping that story is true!!

matthewschiefs
03-19-2013, 01:14 PM
He signed his tender. I can see it now from the folklore "Oh, we don't need a LT with the 1st pick, now". Not correct at all. Albert is said to be wanting 11 million a season. I really think he wants out of KC. We'll see what happens, it should be interesting. Personally, I don't believe there are going to be any takers as the other 31 teams don't see him as a top 10 LT and there are the back issues.

I really don't see many teams taking him at a high value pick by himself but I do think we could use him to trade down a bit and get a 2nd rounder back. That I think could happen

brdempsey69
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
I really don't see many teams taking him at a high value pick by himself but I do think we could use him to trade down a bit and get a 2nd rounder back. That I think could happen

Best case scenario is to trade him to Miami for one their 2nd round picks ( they have 2 of them in 2013 ) and it's just a matter of the Dolphins being willing to do it. I don't think you would use him to trade down, it'd be more likely to use him to trade up from round 3 into round 2.

texaschief
03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Heard this morning that Miami was interest in giving up one of their two second round picks for him. I am guessing by the fact that he signed his Tender so soon, that a deal is already in the works. He has to sign his tender before they can trade him. If that is not the case, then why did he sign it already. He is not required to sign it until the regular season starts.

jap1
03-19-2013, 04:01 PM
I suspect the team told B. Albert that if he wants a trade, he needs to sign his tender, otherwise you are stuck here. Also, if a trade is going to happen, it is going to be in the next couple of days. All the owners (and a lot of GMs and HCs) are doing their annual competition committee meetings right now. It is a perfect environment for deals to be made.

brdempsey69
03-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Another possible scenario on draft day. Suppose the Jags do decide they want Geno Smith, but they are afraid the Chiefs might trade with Philly at #4 because of Philly's interest in Geno Smith, then it creates the possibility of a trade with the Jags to flip-flop positions at #1 and #2. If the Jags were to offer a 3rd rounder for that, being this year or in 2014, the Chiefs should take it ( no, I don't believe the Jags will surrender a 2nd rounder ).

Another scenario, that's been discussed, and although it seems unlikely now with Alex Smith and Chase Daniels, is the Chiefs and Eagles swap positions for Nick Foles. The problem I have with this is the Oakland Raiders sitting at #3 are in a full trade down mode and Detoit, although they seldom ever trade up, could jump ahead of the Chiefs and take either Joeckel or Fisher ( Detroit needs O-Line help bad with Backus retiring and Cherilus having fled to Indy ), but then again there is Lane Johnson, who has played RT and LT and maybe the Chiefs brass thinks highly enough of him to trade down and settle for him. Of course this depends on the Branden Albert situation, as well.

Chiefster
03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
I like the Luke idea but I also like the idea of us trading down a few spots and getting E. Fisher or L.Johnson too. Getting back that 2nd round pick would be huge.

Agreed, we could take Joeckel with the first pick and then, as brdempsey69 said, trade Albert to Miami for one of their two second round picks; providing Miami goes for it.

texaschief
03-19-2013, 09:53 PM
This is suppose to be a pretty deep draft. If the Chiefs could get a bunch of picks from mid-first through the 2nd round, I think that will benefit the team the most. The Chiefs could probably flip Albert for a couple picks. I don't think a 2nd and a 4th or possibly even a 3rd is out of the question. I'd like to see the Chiefs flip #1 for 2 or 3 picks along with bringing in a couple picks for Albert for a total of 7 or so picks in the first 3 rounds:

2 3rd round picks
2 picks for Albert
3 picks for #1

Spend the first pick on a LT, replace Albert and the rest is gravy. ILB, WR, S, QB, DL, DB

Of course, being that there aren't too many holes on the team, the Chiefs could always just trade a few of those picks for additional picks in 2014 and go the New England route. They could end up being like the 49ers next year and be a playoff team with a ton of valuable picks to perhaps trade up for an impact player like Clowney or someone of that ilk that doesn't exist in this draft. Just a thought.