PDA

View Full Version : Branden Albert to skip all voluntary workouts

brdempsey69
04-01-2013, 08:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156430/article/branden-albert-to-avoid-all-chiefs-voluntary-workouts

My take on this? GET RID OF THAT LT WANNABE AND DRAFT JOECKEL OR FISHER AND LET'S MOVE ON !!

And if anyone's feelings are hurt by that -- good, then let's continue !!

Lazeye
04-01-2013, 09:26 PM
We need to move past this JackA$$. He does not deserve any of Mr. Hunts or our Money!

Eydugstr
04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
We need to move past this JackA$$. He does not deserve any of Mr. Hunts or our Money!

My thoughts exactly. After a 2-14 season you'd think the guy would be happy to have a roster spot, let alone a franchise tag.

Ryfo18
04-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Albert is smart. He's getting $10M guaranteed this year. There is no sense in risking injury and potentially crippling his future earning ability. I don't blame him one bit.

drstandley31
04-01-2013, 11:03 PM
We traded the best DE in the league to draft him, which was STUPID! And now stuck with a LT that is injury prone at that position. Move him, or trade him, and draft our future RT! Unless we have to have the salary money, I'd stick him at LT, and either watch him play well, or watch his free agency options free fall.

brdempsey69
04-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Albert is smart. He's getting $10M guaranteed this year. There is no sense in risking injury and potentially crippling his future earning ability. I don't blame him one bit.

Is that so? You're forgetting that by signing the tender, they can trade him or CUT HIM, if they so choose. He's not guaranteed anything !! And the Chiefs have no obligation whatsoever to guarantee him a LT spot. If he stays, he'll play where they tell him to, or they can suspend him without pay for conduct detrimental to the team.

Put away the damn cheerleader skirt and pom-poms regarding Albert and come to the realization that it's time to turn the page and move on.

jason1981
04-02-2013, 12:42 AM
You cant label him injury prone for one season he dealt with a back injury thats not serious or prolonging. It was just spasms and he has cleared his physical and if it was a conituning problem they wouldnt have tagged him. With that said i think we should trade him. Hes acting selfish and not a team player.

Seek
04-02-2013, 08:28 AM
You can lable him injury prone if you want to. He has not completed one full season yet, from Knee injuries, Ankle injuries and now Back issues. That being said the Chiefs told him not to show up.

The Kansas City Star suggests the Chiefs told LT Branden Albert to not show up for the start of offseason conditioning Monday.
It's possible the organization told Albert to stay at home for fear of risking injury. He's on the trade block, and his base salary of $9.828 million is already fully guaranteed. "I don’t get caught up in that," new coach Andy Reid said of Albert’s absence. "The guys that are here we’ll work with, and that gives the next man the opportunity to get better and get ready to play." Apr 1 - 5:36 PM
Source: Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/01/4156001/branden-albert-skips-chiefs-first.html#storylink=rss)

Ryfo18
04-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Is that so? You're forgetting that by signing the tender, they can trade him or CUT HIM, if they so choose. He's not guaranteed anything !! And the Chiefs have no obligation whatsoever to guarantee him a LT spot. If he stays, he'll play where they tell him to, or they can suspend him without pay for conduct detrimental to the team.

Umm, if they cut him it's still fully guaranteed. If they trade him then it would still be fully guaranteed provided he didn't negotiate a new contract with his new team.

"If a player subject to a Franchise Player designation accepts the Required Tender, the resulting Player Contract shall be fully guaranteed if the player’s contract is terminated because of lack of comparative skill; as a result of an injury sustained in the performance of his services under his Player Contract; and/or due to a Club’s determination to create Room for Salary Cap purposes." - Source (Straight from the CBA) (http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/2/15/2800567/rules-regarding-the-franchise-tag-per-the-collective-bargaining)

Put away the damn cheerleader skirt and pom-poms regarding Albert and come to the realization that it's time to turn the page and move on.

When did I ever say they shouldn't move on? I said nothing about what the Chiefs should do. I have no idea what you are trying to prove here...He's skipping VOLUNTARY workouts in a year where he is already guaranteed his salary. It would be absolutely stupid for him to risk getting injured in voluntary workouts and risk a potential contract like Bushrod got (5/$35.96M w/ $17.715M guaranteed). If you can't understand that, well get off your soapbox. Bowe did the exact same thing last year. Smart of him too.

If the rest of you would risk a career ending injury in voluntary workouts, well, good for you. Give yourself a pat on the back and a gold star!

Ryfo18
04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
The Kansas City Star suggests the Chiefs told LT Branden Albert to not show up for the start of offseason conditioning Monday.

It's possible the organization told Albert to stay at home for fear of risking injury. He's on the trade block, and his base salary of $9.828 million is already fully guaranteed. "I don’t get caught up in that," new coach Andy Reid said of Albert’s absence. "The guys that are here we’ll work with, and that gives the next man the opportunity to get better and get ready to play." Apr 1 - 5:36 PM
Source: Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/01/4156001/branden-albert-skips-chiefs-first.html#storylink=rss)

Oh...

Hey guys, that wannabe LT Albert gave up 1 sack in 12 games last year! What a bum LT!!!

So much fail in this thread, lol.

pojote
04-02-2013, 11:52 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/0ap2000000156572/Branden-Albert-wants-clarity-from-Kansas-City
(http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/0ap2000000156572/Branden-Albert-wants-clarity-from-Kansas-City)
I understand Branden, I wouldn't show either until I get that certainty. Why train for a team you don't even know will be your team?
It's a business decision, just as the Chiefs made regarding Cassel and Studebaker.

brdempsey69
04-02-2013, 12:14 PM
OK, I stand corrected about the contract being in effect if he's cut. In reality, they never should have given him the franchise tag, except outside of the possibility of trading him for picks, BECAUSE......

Oh...

Hey guys, that wannabe LT Albert gave up 1 sack in 12 games last year! What a bum LT!!!

So much fail in this thread, lol.

First off, it wasn't 1 sack, it was TWO. One against John Abraham in the Atlanta game, and one against Will Smith in the NO game. And let's not forget the hits on the QB. BTW, since you like to reference PFF so much, please do tell us why PFF ran an article just about why he should be moved to Guard. I haven't seen the article, but I've recently seen reference being made to it.

Secondly, he hasn't gone against a steady dose of top-tier pass-rushers over past 2 seasons & his run-blocking sucked last year. He couldn't even roadgrade a Steeler's DB that he out-weighed by 100 lbs & instead grabbed the DB & twisted him around like he was trying to do the 2-step waltz with him and rightfully got flagged for it, negating a TD and costing them the game. I watched him get overpowered repeatedly by bigger DE's and I saw that, up close and personal, against SD, when Corey Liuget went right through him and knocked the ball out of Charles hand & recovered it -- they score a TD afterwards, go up 17-0 and seize total control of the game. Stephenson played against the better opponents in his starts.

He's not a clutch performer, nor an anchor, nor a road-grader, was a Guard in college & high school, and PROJECT at LT in the NFL with the Chiefs and the project hasn't worked. The failure is on your side because you keep propping him up to be the equivalent of Willie Roaf or John Tait when he's not, and he's not a top-10 LT in this league.

When did I ever say they shouldn't move on? I said nothing about what the Chiefs should do. I have no idea what you are trying to prove here...

Who was it that said that drafting Joeckel or Fisher was a lateral move and keeps crybabying about wanting Geno Smith taken at #1? And has started the "love for Branden Albert" threads? It was you.

It would be absolutely stupid for him to risk getting injured in voluntary workouts and risk a potential contract like Bushrod got (5/$35.96M w/ $17.715M guaranteed).

The Bears overpaid Bushrod. He's not worth that & neither is Albert. Albert want's top 5 LT money and he's not a top 10 LT. And now he's bellyaching about a possible position change. He could learn something from John Tait, whom nobody heard any complaints from when he was moved to RT when Willie Roaf was brought in 2002. Tait was a far better LT than Albert.

And Albert could have at least showed up on the 1st day to get his playbook & voluntary workouts DON'T consist of heavy contact. Just basic exercise and walkthroughs. If he's worried about getting hurt in those, maybe the reports about his back being OK aren't correct.

If you can't understand that, well get off your soapbox. Bowe did the exact same thing last year. Smart of him too.

HA HA !! Who's really on the soapbox & wearing the cheerleader skirt and carrying the pom-poms to boot, as evidenced by the PM that you sent me once about liking Albert at LT? And now wants to use Albert as a crutch to not take either Joeckel or Fisher because they want Geno Smith ( same crutch as in 2010 regarding drafting Berry over Okung )?

And Bowe was trying to get a long-term deal done was why he showed up late. BTW, did you notice that Dorsey gave Bowe the long-term deal and DIDN'T give Albert one, even though they had the cap space before they started signing FA's

Kudos to Dorsey for not giving Albert what he wants because he knows Albert isn't a top 10 LT and that he's easily replaceable & certainly can be upgraded at the LT position. I hope Dorsey does trade him.

I understand Branden, I wouldn't show either until I get that certainty. Why train for a team you don't even know will be your team?
It's a business decision, just as the Chiefs made regarding Cassel and Studebaker.

It's called PROFESSIONALISM. As a GM, would you be willing to give any clarity to a guy that's wanting to be overpaid & has stated that he won't make a position switch to help out the team, if needed? Like I said Albert could learn something from John Tait. Tait still managed to get a lucrative contract.

Seek
04-02-2013, 12:56 PM
OK, I stand corrected about the contract being in effect if he's cut. In reality, they never should have given him the franchise tag, except outside of the possibility of trading him for picks, BECAUSE......

First off, it wasn't 1 sack, it was TWO. One against John Abraham in the Atlanta game, and one against Will Smith in the NO game. And let's not forget the hits on the QB. BTW, since you like to reference PFF so much, please do tell us why PFF ran an article just about why he should be moved to Guard. I haven't seen the article, but I've recently seen reference being made to it.

Secondly, he hasn't gone against a steady dose of top-tier pass-rushers over past 2 seasons & his run-blocking sucked last year. He couldn't even roadgrade a Steeler's DB that he out-weighed by 100 lbs & instead grabbed the DB & twisted him around like he was trying to do the 2-step waltz with him and rightfully got flagged for it, negating a TD and costing them the game. I watched him get overpowered repeatedly by bigger DE's and I saw that, up close and personal, against SD, when Corey Liuget went right through him and knocked the ball out of Charles hand & recovered it -- they score a TD afterwards, go up 17-0 and seize total control of the game. Stephenson played against the better opponents in his starts.

He's not a clutch performer, nor an anchor, nor a road-grader, was a Guard in college & high school, and PROJECT at LT in the NFL with the Chiefs and the project hasn't worked. The failure is on your side because you keep propping him up to be the equivalent of Willie Roaf or John Tait when he's not, and he's not a top-10 LT in this league.

Who was it that said that drafting Joeckel or Fisher was a lateral move and keeps crybabying about wanting Geno Smith taken at #1? And has started the "love for Branden Albert" threads? It was you.

The Bears overpaid Bushrod. He's not worth that & neither is Albert. Albert want's top 5 LT money and he's not a top 10 LT. And now he's bellyaching about a possible position change. He could learn something from John Tait, whom nobody heard any complaints from when he was moved to RT when Willie Roaf was brought in 2002. Tait was a far better LT than Albert.

And Albert could have at least showed up on the 1st day to get his playbook & voluntary workouts DON'T consist of heavy contact. Just basic exercise and walkthroughs. If he's worried about getting hurt in those, maybe the reports about his back being OK aren't correct.

HA HA !! Who's really on the soapbox & wearing the cheerleader skirt and carrying the pom-poms to boot, as evidenced by the PM that you sent me once about liking Albert at LT? And now wants to use Albert as a crutch to not take either Joeckel or Fisher because they want Geno Smith ( same crutch as in 2010 regarding drafting Berry over Okung )?

And Bowe was trying to get a long-term deal done was why he showed up late. BTW, did you notice that Dorsey gave Bowe the long-term deal and DIDN'T give Albert one, even though they had the cap space before they started signing FA's

Kudos to Dorsey for not giving Albert what he wants because he knows Albert isn't a top 10 LT and that he's easily replaceable & certainly can be upgraded at the LT position. I hope Dorsey does trade him.

It's called PROFESSIONALISM. As a GM, would you be willing to give any clarity to a guy that's wanting to be overpaid & has stated that he won't make a position switch to help out the team, if needed? Like I said Albert could learn something from John Tait. Tait still managed to get a lucrative contract.

First let me say I am not a fan of Albert. You can probably go back and check but I was much more in favor of Drafting Russel Okung instead of Berry in hopes of replacing Albert or moving him to RT.

Fact of the matter, he is the best lineman we have on this team. D. Stephenson showed a lot of promise and could very well be a very solid RT for us but after that. The line is not consistent at all. Giving Albert the TAG was a must just for safety reasons. What if after the Chiefs start looking at the top tackles in the draft they find something wrong with them bouncing them out of consideration. What if those guys need a year to develop. Why not tag him? Who else did the Chiefs lose that you would have wanted to TAG. Okay the Chiefs have to spend 9 million dollars on possibly the second most important position on the team to protect you most important player on the team who did have a concussion last year.

Now I will argue that every person saying look at the Sacks he didn't give up. I say look at the holding penalties he got instead. The only real issue with Albert is what he values himself as. He has been very upset that he was passed on for pro-bowl selections.

Now as far as this week. I may be wrong but almost every player gets a bonus if they show up to thes work outs as an incentive in their contracts. The Franchise tag does not have this. Also, there is assumptions the Chiefs told him to not come. Speculation is that they don't want him getting hurt while he is on the trading block. They may also have no intentions of him being here and just told him to stay away so that he can use what they are working on as a competitive advantage against he Chiefs should they trading team be on their schedule.

So before people blast into him for not showing up, it may not be his call. It may be his call. Just don't jump to conclussions without any fact to it.

brdempsey69
04-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Seek, you make some good points, but would it not have looked better for him to at least come in and get his playbook, even if the team did tell him stay away. Even if they did tell him to stay out, I don't see why he couldn't at least make the request to get his playbook the 1st day and show that he's serious about wanting to stay in KC. I'm not going to go along with the argument about "why show a player that you may be trading the playbook" -- because that happens all the time.

If he'd have kept silent and and once the Franchise tag was given to him and then said something to the effect of "my preference is LT, but I'll play anywhere they want me to and hopefully we can work out a long-term solution", then that would have been one thing & he'd have everybody's support in that regard -- FO, coaching staff, teammates, fans, etc. That's not the case, as he's gone completely the opposite route & is on the path to screwing himself royally & for what? Highly doubtful that any of the other 31 teams view him as a top-10 LT and he's wanting a commitment from the new regime that they would be foolish to give him, as he hasn't proven to be worthy of top 5 LT money.

I will keep pointing to John Tait as an example that Albert would have been wise to follow. I also suspect that Dorsey already made a fair offer to him and Albert snubbed it because he's dead set on getting top 5 LT money that no team in the NFL is going to pay him.

Ryfo18
04-02-2013, 01:42 PM

This article doesn't exist (why you haven't seen it). The only article referencing "Branden Albert" and "Guard" is this one, written in February: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/13/free-agent-duel-bowe-or-albert/. It says:

Drafted out of Virginia with the 15th overall selection in the 2008 draft, not many people expected left tackle to be Albert’s position long-term with a move to the right, or inside to guard predicted. However, through four seasons at the position he has continued to grow, leading to a very consistent past two seasons where he has graded out at +14.7 and+13.8, respectively.

And this is essentially why people don't like Albert. 3-4 years ago Albert "needed to be moved to guard" and had "peaked as a LT." I defended the guy, saying he was continuing to grow. And grow he did, as evidenced above. Now people can't admit they were wrong and instead feel they need to attack the guy. For what? Proving you wrong? The amount of butthurt in this thread is hilarious.

What holding penalties? According to this (http://www.footballdb.com/penalties-player.html?tm=16) Albert had ONE holding penalty this year. This site also lines up with PFF which had Albert down for 5 total penalties (4 false start, 1 hold). Side note: Okung had the 3rd most penalties among LTs (7 false start, 3 holds).

I'm done defending Albert. You guys can bash away at him because you feel like you have to take him down a notch after he's shown that he's one of the better LTs in the league. Have fun. I'm out.

Ryfo18
04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
It won't let me edit the above post, but this paragraph was also write below the one I quoted from that article:

The Chiefs may not have their franchise signal-caller yet, but when they do they’ll want to keep him upright. In that respect there are few players at his position out there better than Albert. Allowing just 17 total pressures from 378 pass blocking snaps in 2012, he finished the year with a Pass Blocking Efficiency (https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/pff-signature-stats/#PassBlockingEfficiency) (PBE) rating of 96.6, a mark which was tied for seventh among offensive tackles. Through the past two seasons he has allowed Chiefs quarterbacks to be hit or sacked just 16 times from 926 pass blocking snaps — working out to be quarterback knockdown allowed just once every 57.8 pass blocking attempts.

Just garbage, I tell ya.

Justin5772002
04-02-2013, 03:21 PM
These voluntary workouts aren't practices there's alot of meetings and just working out with weights so nobody should be getting hurt at this stage. They didn't tell him to stay home he's waiting to see if he will be traded or not! He's being a crybaby. ALBERT get your lazy *** up and show some work ethic! Self determination goes a long way in life

pojote
04-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I wonder if any would go to work on Sundays for free in a profitable business. I know I wouldn't.
It's about the same, he won't get paid more, it won't make him better, not even knows for sure if he will be on this team at week 1, so he can't build chemistry with teammates.
It's just a business decision.

brdempsey69
04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
It won't let me edit the above post, but this paragraph was also write below the one I quoted from that article:

Just garbage, I tell ya.

That's because they've constricted their passing game severely during that time to mostly short and quick passes, they had a left-handed QB starting multiple times & the caliber of opponents he's gone against overall hasn't been anywhere near the caliber that Okung has gone against in that same time span, except for rare occasions.

This article doesn't exist (why you haven't seen it). The only article referencing "Branden Albert" and "Guard" is this one, written in February: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/13/free-agent-duel-bowe-or-albert/. It says:

So what? All it's really telling anybody is that he's gone from mediocre to perhaps average at LT and that the whole project has amounted to nothing but wasted time. The problem is the whole overall picture is not being looked at with what's being said in that article you are pointing to & DOESN'T justify passing on Okung in 2010 or justify you wanting Geno Smith taken with the Chiefs draft pick in 2013.

And this is essentially why people don't like Albert. 3-4 years ago Albert "needed to be moved to guard" and had "peaked as a LT."

It was also stated that he had All-Pro potential at Guard & the that the Pioli regime was doing a huge disservice to him by keeping him at LT. He could have had multiple Pro Bowls under his belt playing at Guard, but of course, we'll never know now. What we don't like about Albert is the way people like you persist in making him up to be something that he isn't & keep using him as a crutch to not try and get better at LT position by drafting a top-tier LT prospect. Now, he thinks he's a top 5 LT and wanting to be paid as such & John Dorsey rightfully doesn't see it that way. Now, Albert is threatening to hold out completely unless the Chiefs give him a long-term deal, giving further reason for the dislike that he is heaping upon himself:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/02/4157490/chiefs-albert-says-he-wont-show.html

I defended the guy, saying he was continuing to grow. And grow he did, as evidenced above. Now people can't admit they were wrong and instead feel they need to attack the guy. For what? Proving you wrong? The amount of butthurt in this thread is hilarious.

Sure, and he probably improved at making a loud beer fart in a whirlwind during that time, too. So what? He has NOT grown into a clutch performer, an anchor, nor a road-grader at the LT position. Like it or not, the overhead camera doesn't lie regarding that matter & nobody has been wrong about a better player than Albert at LT is needed and if that weren't the case, then Joeckel or Fisher would not be in consideration for the Chiefs 1st pick in 2013.

The butthurt is all on your side, as your crutch for forsaking the LT position in round 1 of the draft is probably about to be eliminated & rightfully so.

What holding penalties? According to this (http://www.footballdb.com/penalties-player.html?tm=16) Albert had ONE holding penalty this year. This site also lines up with PFF which had Albert down for 5 total penalties (4 false start, 1 hold). Side note: Okung had the 3rd most penalties among LTs (7 false start, 3 holds).

Is that the best you can do as far as comparing Albert to Okung? Most of those penalties against Okung came in the 1st half of the season. Tell us, which player scored pancake blocks against guys like Vince Woolfork, Justin Smith, Glenn Dorsey and others? Which player has the longer arms, better strength ( Okung did 38 bench press reps in his 2010 combine workout compared to Albert's 23 in 2008 ), better footwork, better blocking skills & in the last 3 years, faced the better series of opponents, overall?

I'm done defending Albert. You guys can bash away at him because you feel like you have to take him down a notch after he's shown that he's one of the better LTs in the league. Have fun. I'm out.

Quite the contrary. It's you who are taking him UP notches by calling him one o the better LT's in the league, when in reality, he isn't.

brdempsey69
04-02-2013, 06:07 PM
I wonder if any would go to work on Sundays for free in a profitable business. I know I wouldn't.
It's about the same, he won't get paid more, it won't make him better, not even knows for sure if he will be on this team at week 1, so he can't build chemistry with teammates.
It's just a business decision.

That works BOTH ways. Given what happened with Albert last year with the back problems and such, there's no way this new regime should make a long-term commitment to Albert without another year to evaluate him first to see if he's really worth that long-term commitment.

matthewschiefs
04-02-2013, 06:54 PM

I will never agree with this. There's risk in the game that's a given but saying this is like a police officer saying "you know I don't fell like going to that armed robbery call because there's to much risk" That officer knows the risk of the job when he starts so did Albert when he started. It's a part of his job. Other players are there he should be to. I said the same thing about Bowe last year. It's a selfish move. He's pretty much saying I'm more important then the team. I hate when players do this. Is there Risk yes. But at this time of the year that risk is VERY low. He's being paid a lot of money. He should be with the other guys that are there.

tornadospotter
04-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I do not take much stock in not attending vol workouts, others linemen in the past also did not attend vol workouts.

brdempsey69
04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
I do not take much stock in not attending vol workouts, others linemen in the past also did not attend vol workouts.

The trouble is, it may be that Albert is not going to show up unless he gets a long-term deal first.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/02/4157490/chiefs-albert-says-he-wont-show.html

This new regime simply cannot make that commitment to Albert, as he's wanting to be paid more than Joe Thomas is making and yet, he's nowhere close to being player that Joe Thomas is and never will be.

Ryfo18
04-02-2013, 08:07 PM
I will never agree with this. There's risk in the game that's a given but saying this is like a police officer saying "you know I don't fell like going to that armed robbery call because there's to much risk" That officer knows the risk of the job when he starts so did Albert when he started. It's a part of his job. Other players are there he should be to. I said the same thing about Bowe last year. It's a selfish move. He's pretty much saying I'm more important then the team. I hate when players do this. Is there Risk yes. But at this time of the year that risk is VERY low. He's being paid a lot of money. He should be with the other guys that are there.

So if a cop is told he can come in for voluntary work to help the police force out, but they won't pay him any extra and he has to add extra risk to his life by being there on duty, he's a loser for not showing up too, right?

This mentality is so dumb. So is, "well they get a lot of money, so if they get hurt in voluntary workouts who cares b/c they still have a lot of money." Hey guys, you should risk a huge multi-year/multi-million dollar contract b/c you're already making $10M this year. Dumb dumb dumb.

Next time your boss asks you to come in and work for free to help the company out, you'll jump right up and go, right? Of course you won't, but now you're being a hypocrite.

Brian Waters never attended voluntary workouts. What a **** stain on this team!!!!

brdempsey69
04-02-2013, 08:42 PM
So if a cop is told he can come in for voluntary work to help the police force out, but they won't pay him any extra and he has to add extra risk to his life by being there on duty, he's a loser for not showing up too, right?

Minus one ( -1 ). You fail. Matt was referring to a police officer ON DUTY ALREADY !!! Albert's case is not the same extreme as the police officer's is, anyways.

This mentality is so dumb. So is, "well they get a lot of money, so if they get hurt in voluntary workouts who cares b/c they still have a lot of money." Hey guys, you should risk a huge multi-year/multi-million dollar contract b/c you're already making $10M this year. Dumb dumb dumb.

Is that so? Did the thought ever occur to you that he's risking not getting a long-term contract from not only the Chiefs, but any of the other 31 teams, as well, just by taking the stance that he is? I've never heard of it where a player has to go all-out in these voluntary workouts and all he'd really have to do is go through it lightly and he could learn the playbook. Albert has stated that he's doing workouts on his own, so what's the difference?

Next time your boss asks you to come in and work for free to help the company out, you'll jump right up and go, right? Of course you won't, but now you're being a hypocrite.

No, he's not being a hypocrite -- you're ripping out of context what he's saying. He wasn't suggesting anything about a police officer being OFF DUTY.

Brian Waters never attended voluntary workouts. What a **** stain on this team!!!!

And his declining play on the field after Roaf and Shields retired showed it, too.

matthewschiefs
04-02-2013, 09:06 PM

First off just because someone has a different mentality then yours doesn't make it dumb. This is a forum your going to get different opinions. Doesn't make them dumb just different from yours.

Neither that cop are myself are making 10 MILLION dollars we are not in the same situation as Albert is. After the last CBA the amount of offseason work got cut back. When you have a new head coach and all the changes that have been made with this team this past offseason I think there is something to gain for every player to be there. These offseaon things are a PART of Nfl players job. That's why they have them. Just like going to that armed robbery is a part of the cops job that I mentioned.

2nd off the risk is these workouts is EXTREMELY LOW. It's not like camp. They can't even do paded pratices. These are like walkthroughs. It is VERY VERY rare for anyone to get hurt at this point. Stop pretending it's a huge risk. It seems that other players take this huge risk. Albert is no better then them. He should be there. That's just my opinion I was the same way with Bowe last year I will always have this opinion.

As for the hypocrite comment I can tell you that you're wrong. I have in the past few years taken a paycut. Taken less hours I have many times worked off the clock because I like the person I work for I'm willing to do it. If I didn't like the person I work for I might not be so willing to do so I will admit. But I have worked and not been paid for it in terms of money. I do get some gain as later on I'm repaid by getting a little time off when I need it. But I have worked without pay many times in the past there's a good chance I will again . I work for a small business those types of things sometimes happen. Alot actually since the economy has been down.

JPPT1974
04-02-2013, 09:56 PM
He thinks he is above all other players. To skip the workouts. That just makes him look bad. Whether they workouts are low or high.

Lazeye
04-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I thought you said you were out and done with this conversation Ryfro?

Chiefster
04-02-2013, 11:16 PM
I say get what you can for him and go get Joeckel.

brdempsey69
04-03-2013, 12:06 AM
I have to side with the Chiefs brass on this one because if they hadn't tagged him and let him walk, then he would've found no takers on what he wants to be paid & nobody would have given him anywhere near what Jake Long got from the Rams and I highly doubt he would've gotten what Bushrod got from the Bears. And yet, the Chiefs brass, in my judgement, has given him the chance to make, in one year, 45% of what Eric Winston was signed for last year ( 4-yr 22 mill ), in spite of the back issue concerns.

With that said, it would appear the Chiefs brass has really put their best foot forward regarding Albert. I remember when Walter Jones, the very good Seattle LT, played under the franchise tag for an entire year before getting a deal done the next year. Branden Albert is NOT anywhere close to Walter Jones, and yet he states he's unhappy with the franchise tag that's probably going to pay him much more than Jones got paid when he played a year under his franchise tag. Go figure.

pojote
04-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Albert won't show up on, not for the risk, but to try to rush talks, either way as long term contract or trade.
He won't play other position than LT, smart decision, crappy LT are payed more than a great RT or G (some exceptions).

On the other hand, Chiefs FO have a few options:
1. Sign a vet RT and draft a LT, trade Albert
2. Draft a LT and a RT, trade Albert
3. Draft a LT, move him to RT, play Albert as LT
4. Move Albert to RT, draft a LT

If you think that moving Albert to G is an option, I would advice you to check your temperature, you're probably delusional.

Right now Albert doesn't have a word on this decision, he has to do what he's told, and would be foolish from his wallet perspective not to. He can play wherever he's told on the tag, and next year can get a big contract if he show he's a professional, shows for mandatory and play the best of him.

70 chiefsfan70
04-03-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm one of the few that actually think Albert was a very good, if not great LT. He was under paid and did us very well. If we do trade him I would want to pick Fisher with the first. If we dont trade him, I'd rather trade the first pick, for the other teams first and a second round pick, and spent the second on the best qb available. Even with the two new qbs we are not set in the qb position, especially not long term. Albert will continue to get the shaft here, but Hes done us a good job. We had the worst qb in the league and every one gives the wrs a pass but not the LT. The last several years qbs would have made even the best LT look bad. Just saying. We were extremely predictable and one dimentional.

brdempsey69
04-04-2013, 02:08 AM
If you think that moving Albert to G is an option, I would advice you to check your temperature, you're probably delusional.

Is that right? Did you check your own temperature first before posting? Because, you just contradicted that statement with the next sentences:

Right now Albert doesn't have a word on this decision, he has to do what he's told, and would be foolish from his wallet perspective not to. He can play wherever he's told on the tag, and next year can get a big contract if he show he's a professional, shows for mandatory and play the best of him.

Albert was a Guard in college and high school & if he's with the Chiefs in 2013, then he'll play where he's told. I suggest you look up to Minnesota and look what happened last year. They drafted LT Matt Kalil at #4 and moved 6-yr vet Charlie Johnson ( who had played nothing but Tackle during that time ) from LT to LG.

Justin5772002
04-04-2013, 04:00 AM
Chiefs Sign OL Tommie Draheim
Posted 11 hours ago

Reid Ferrin
Chiefs Insider
KCChiefs.com
Email @KCChiefs_Reid
Moves continue to be made at One Arrowhead Drive

The Kansas City Chiefs added depth to their offensive line, signing Tommie Draheim, the team announced Wednesday.

Draheim (6-4, 309) originally entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Green Bay Packers in 2012. He was released by the Packers before the start of the regular season and was added to the Seattle Seahawks practice squad on Sept. 6.

Draheim also had a short stay with the New England Patriots practice squad, before spending the rest of the 2012 season on Jacksonville’s practice squad.

Prior to entering the NFL, Draheim (Dray-hime) started 33 games for San Diego State University, including 30-consecutive starts to end his career.

He earned first-team All-Mountain West Conference honors as a senior, becoming the first Aztec offensive lineman to be named first-team all-league since 2003.

A three-year letterman, he helped SDSU rank 10th in the country in 2011 for fewest sacks allowed (0.83 per game) and blocked for a running back who finished No. 3 in the country with 1,711 rushing yards on the season.

i wonder if he's for our practice squad or to replace Albert

pojote
04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Is that right? Did you check your own temperature first before posting? Because, you just contradicted that statement with the next sentences:

Albert was a Guard in college and high school & if he's with the Chiefs in 2013, then he'll play where he's told. I suggest you look up to Minnesota and look what happened last year. They drafted LT Matt Kalil at #4 and moved 6-yr vet Charlie Johnson ( who had played nothing but Tackle during that time ) from LT to LG.

He's not good at the running game, poor skill set to play guard. He's good at pass protection, but not much more. Also, you don't franchise a guy to move him to guard, way better to trade him for what they give you and don't have more than 9M in cap hit.

Eydugstr
04-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Chiefs Sign OL Tommie Draheim
Posted 11 hours ago

Reid Ferrin
Chiefs Insider
KCChiefs.com
Email @KCChiefs_Reid
Moves continue to be made at One Arrowhead Drive

The Kansas City Chiefs added depth to their offensive line, signing Tommie Draheim, the team announced Wednesday.

Draheim (6-4, 309) originally entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Green Bay Packers in 2012. He was released by the Packers before the start of the regular season and was added to the Seattle Seahawks practice squad on Sept. 6.

Draheim also had a short stay with the New England Patriots practice squad, before spending the rest of the 2012 season on Jacksonville’s practice squad.

Prior to entering the NFL, Draheim (Dray-hime) started 33 games for San Diego State University, including 30-consecutive starts to end his career.

He earned first-team All-Mountain West Conference honors as a senior, becoming the first Aztec offensive lineman to be named first-team all-league since 2003.

A three-year letterman, he helped SDSU rank 10th in the country in 2011 for fewest sacks allowed (0.83 per game) and blocked for a running back who finished No. 3 in the country with 1,711 rushing yards on the season.

i wonder if he's for our practice squad or to replace Albert

Any experience playing Center?

Seek
04-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Yes, he was a center in High School and started there in college. He ended as a LT.

brdempsey69
04-04-2013, 10:40 PM
He's not good at the running game, poor skill set to play guard. He's good at pass protection, but not much more. Also, you don't franchise a guy to move him to guard, way better to trade him for what they give you and don't have more than 9M in cap hit.

I'm not saying they shouldn't trade him. What I'm saying is he has played Guard before -- well enough to get drafted in round 1. And, prior to last year, run blocking wasn't a problem for him. The back problems may have contributed to his run-blocking in 2012 & if his back is OK, then he does indeed have the skill-set to play Guard. I don't have a problem with him playing Guard and making 9.8 mil in 2013, if he plays at an All-Pro level, which I believe that he still can, and you have either Joeckel or Fisher play LT and they play at a high level and it makes the KC O-Line better, as a whole. The problem is, he wants a long-term commitment that pays him top-5 LT money & this new regime simply cannot make that commitment to him.

Eydugstr
04-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Yes, he was a center in High School and started there in college. He ended as a LT.

Good. After what happened to Hudson last season, some insurance couldn't hurt.

Seek
04-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Good. After what happened to Hudson last season, some insurance couldn't hurt.

He may never see the field though. He has bounced around from practice squad to practice squad. That means people see talent him him to want to keep him but they have all given up on him.

Eydugstr
04-05-2013, 09:32 PM
He may never see the field though. He has bounced around from practice squad to practice squad. That means people see talent him him to want to keep him but they have all given up on him.

Very true, but at least it gives me hope to see a front office that's trying. It took how many years before Pioli began paying attention to the o-line?

brdempsey69
04-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Very true, but at least it gives me hope to see a front office that's trying. It took how many years before Pioli began paying attention to the o-line?

And that right there should have been Pioli's first priority from Day One when he walked in the door as the Chiefs GM, back in 2009.

As for the new regime, one must consider this, even though things change from year to year:

The Chiefs had to make changes to their O-Line due to injuries in 2012.

Andy Reid watched his O-Line get decimated with injuries in 2012.

John Dorsey saw the Packers O-Line get decimated with injuries in 2012.

Winston is gone, and I'm beginning to suspect that maybe the rumors were true about something being physically wrong with him since no team has signed him, as of yet.

Albert's long term future with the Chiefs is an uncertainty.

Schwartz signed only a 1-yr contract and Asamoah is in the last year of his rookie contract ( although they could tender him ).

With all that said, the new regime of Dorsey/Reid would do well to be paying strict attention to the Chiefs O-Line regarding the long-term prospects.

drstandley31
04-06-2013, 05:44 PM
10 mil not enough for this POS to show up with his teammates and become part of this team. I hope he ends up with a different team. you don't want to be here, we don't want you!

Eydugstr
04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
There might be a bright side to all of this. If we're able to trade Albert and get a second round draft pick out of the deal, we'll be able to get Joeckel AND get another QB as a prospect to develop behind Alex Smith. It'd be getting three birds with one stone if it all works out.