PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have as your quarterback?

Ryfo18
04-08-2013, 01:29 PM
This is an extension from another thread. I just have to get the thoughts of everyone else on this.

Player A: 60.5 comp %, 7.1 yards/attempt, 102/56 TD:INT (1.81 TDs for every INT), 86.3 career QB rating, has never thrown for over 3900 yards in a season (averages 220.4 yards/gm), sacked on 6.5% of his dropbacks, averages 1.28 TD passes/game started.

Player B: 64.7 comp%, 7.9 yards/attempt, 177/91 TD:INT (1.94 TDs for every INT), 95.6 career QB rating (one of only 5 QBs all time w/ > 95 career QB rating), has thrown for over 4100 yards 4 times in 7 years (other 3 years had less than 14 games started, averages 276 yards/start), sacked on 5.2% of his dropbacks, averages 1.90 TD passes/game started.

All things being equal as far as the other 52 players, who do you want quarterbacking your team?

Coach
04-08-2013, 03:41 PM
One player is obviously much younger which would enter into my decision. Also, I'm more likely to go with the person playing well right now, which you can't judge my looking at the career stat line. But purely on statistics, I'd take QB B over A. I'm also going to guess that player B is on a crappy team.

MissingTBone
04-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Can you please add the third option of C) Matt Cassel......

Lord-Chiefy
04-08-2013, 06:58 PM
A IS A NO brainer!!! It's a trick question!! A has more upside!!

texaschief
04-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Joe Flacco... oops... I mean whichever one is Joe Flacco.

brdempsey69
04-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Seeing as how 100+ people have viewed with only 4 voting, and seeing how silly the concept of even starting a poll like this in the 1st place was, just to support a phony argument -- the background laughter that you hear in this vid at 4:59 and at 5:16 certainly does come to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXRqH0EBRks

KristofLaw
04-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Geno Smith :toast2:

Justin5772002
04-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Neither ill take Peyton manning or Tom Brady blind stats over both of them

Ryfo18
04-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Seeing as how 100+ people have viewed with only 4 voting

Hmm that's funny. In this poll (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php/22855-Alex-Smith-v-Tony-Romo-v-Geno-Smith) 17/561 have voted (1/33) and in the poll I started 5/167 have voted (1/33.4). Sounds like that's about the general participation rate among Chiefs Crowd.

I suppose you'll tell me stats don't matter again though. :lol:

Thanks for stopping by though.

Seek
04-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Stats do Matter a whole bunch. But the big thing about Stats is that Variables make the stats... Your examples are not using the same variables to give you a fair comparison. Unless both QB's were playing on the same teams, with the same exact playres in the same exact playing situation. Your Stats will be skewed.... You also left out the most important stat of all. Playoff wins, Playoff stats, Superbowls. Look at Matt Cassel with New England and compare him to KC. Completely different QB.

So based on an eye test. I don't want a lot of Cowboy games, but the ones I have watched. Romo didn't pass the eye test and anyone really set on him being a good QB, has to be biased towards him for some reason.

Ryfo18
04-09-2013, 02:39 PM
But the big thing about Stats is that Variables make the stats... Your examples are not using the same variables to give you a fair comparison.

Fair...IMO though, these things:

Playoff wins, Playoff stats, Superbowls.

Have much more to do with the surrounding variables (i.e. your team, coach, defense) than personal stats for a QB.

Guru
04-11-2013, 03:16 AM
Joe Flacco

Stats don't tell the whole story. Put up the career playoff wins and see what happens.

Seek
04-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Fair...IMO though, these things:

Have much more to do with the surrounding variables (i.e. your team, coach, defense) than personal stats for a QB.

They are the same and still not a completely fair comparison between the two. The individual stats you posted also depend on team, coach defense...etc... But that is the best you can provide to compare the two given you can't have consistent variables. Adding Play offs etc. shows you how they performed against the best talent under the most stressful situations when it mattered the most. The thing about Flacco is that all season long he looks just like a managemt QB and nothing to close to an Elite QB, but in the play offs when it matters he performed like a top 5 QB picking up the slack where the rest of the team hit a stalemate because the competition was as good. From what I saw from Romo, he failed to to pick up that slack, and ended making mistakes that made winning more difficult. Which is why I say to support Romo over Flacco would have to warrant some sort of biased opinion towards him. The games that matter more favor Flacco.

AkChief49
04-11-2013, 08:20 PM
They are the same and still not a completely fair comparison between the two. The individual stats you posted also depend on team, coach defense...etc... But that is the best you can provide to compare the two given you can't have consistent variables. Adding Play offs etc. shows you how they performed against the best talent under the most stressful situations when it mattered the most. The thing about Flacco is that all season long he looks just like a managemt QB and nothing to close to an Elite QB, but in the play offs when it matters he performed like a top 5 QB picking up the slack where the rest of the team hit a stalemate because the competition was as good. From what I saw from Romo, he failed to to pick up that slack, and ended making mistakes that made winning more difficult. Which is why I say to support Romo over Flacco would have to warrant some sort of biased opinion towards him. The games that matter more favor Flacco.

I so agree with those statements!

The playoffs and getting into the playoffs are Romos' kryptonite.
I keep remembering the playoff game with the Seahawks with about a minute to go and all they needed was a field goal...fumbled the field goal snap.

2008 trying to get into the playoffs with a win, last game of the season vs. Eagles-lost 44-6
2011 trying to get into the playoffs with a win, last game of the season vs. Giants-lost 31-14
2012 trying to get into the playoffs with a win, last game of the season vs. Redskins-lost 28-18

In that Eagles game he fumbled the ball for a 73 yd fumble return TD
In the final game this last season, I told my son "hell throw an interception near side of the field in the flat" he did just that. Blowing any chance they had for a comeback. He threw 3 ints that game.

I do not doubt Romo is a good QB. He plays on the Cowboys-has weapons, heck they're the Yankees(love 'em or hate 'em) in the football world. Romo says it best himself:

"Your legacy will be written when you're done playing the game," Romo said. "And when it's over with, you'll look back. ... It's disappointing not being able to get over that hump." -Tony Romo

Maybe one of these days he'll get that monkey off of his back. For now, though, that monkey is on a full 8 second ride!:biggrin:

dai_sca
04-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Romo has never won the big game. Romo breaks down and turns over at critical times periodically. He streaks. He crashes. Why even ask the question?