PDA

View Full Version : Branden Albert drawing interest from Miami Dolphins

brdempsey69
04-17-2013, 11:01 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22092061/dolphins-interested-in-chiefs-ot-albert-then-could-target-cb-in-draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160918/article/branden-albert-drawing-interest-from-miami-dolphins

If the Dolphins are willing to offer the 54th overall pick, the Chiefs should just take it and move on.

texaschief
04-17-2013, 11:08 PM
They should hold out for #42. Albert is worth it. If the Dolphins are already conceding that Albert is worth a 2nd round pick, they'll come down to #42 by the time the draft rolls around. There are only 3 legit LT's in this draft. I think Albert is probably a better option than Lane Johnson talent-wise, but probably a poorer value. There are more than 3 teams in this draft who need a LT. An early 2nd round pick isn't too much to ask for a legit starting LT.

brdempsey69
04-17-2013, 11:14 PM
They should hold out for #42. Albert is worth it. If the Dolphins are already conceding that Albert is worth a 2nd round pick, they'll come down to #42 by the time the draft rolls around. There are only 3 legit LT's in this draft. I think Albert is probably a better option than Lane Johnson talent-wise, but probably a poorer value. There are more than 3 teams in this draft who need a LT. An early 2nd round pick isn't too much to ask for a legit starting LT.

If there weren't the back issues, then that would be one thing. But, with those concerns, the Chiefs won't be able to bleed #42 out of Miami and probably have to settle for #54.

Besides, the Chiefs are around 3 Mill under the cap and need to create some cap space.

Chiefster
04-18-2013, 01:27 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22092061/dolphins-interested-in-chiefs-ot-albert-then-could-target-cb-in-draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160918/article/branden-albert-drawing-interest-from-miami-dolphins

If the Dolphins are willing to offer the 54th overall pick, the Chiefs should just take it and move on.

Agreed! Dole him off and let's get Joeckel.

brdempsey69
04-18-2013, 02:56 AM
Agreed! Dole him off and let's get Joeckel.

I won't discount Eric Fisher, although I'd be happy with Joeckel. Fisher is a road-grater in the running game ( Jamaal Charles would love running behind this guy ) and his pass-protection skills are excellent. Plays with a mean streak & he's very athletic. Pretty tough call between the two.

Guru
04-18-2013, 04:32 AM
Yes, lets trade off a top 10 LT and replace him with a unproven rookie with the first pick in the draft. Because tackles win superbowls. Only the Chiefs.

Justin5772002
04-18-2013, 04:41 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/17/4235866/nfl-draft-2013-chiefs-buzz-eric-fisher

They say in this article that Fisher may be the chiefs target If Albert stays, because the whole reason why Albert is wanting the trade is cause he wants to keep his LT position, but Fisher says he's willing to move to Rt for his rookie season, and with this guys athleticism I think that would be a good move. We would have one of the most potent offensive lines in football!

Chiefster
04-18-2013, 06:43 AM
I won't discount Eric Fisher, although I'd be happy with Joeckel. Fisher is a road-grater in the running game ( Jamaal Charles would love running behind this guy ) and his pass-protection skills are excellent. Plays with a mean streak & he's very athletic. Pretty tough call between the two.

Yeah, I think the consensus is that either one would be an instant replacement for Albert.

MissingTBone
04-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Yes, lets trade off a top 10 LT and replace him with a unproven rookie with the first pick in the draft. Because tackles win superbowls. Only the Chiefs.

Last check no single player wins a SB without a team behind them. The Ravens won last year and took a T in the first round. Last time Green Bay won a SB they drafted a T in the first round. Df those played win the SB for their teams? You are replacing a LT that is disgruntled and not willing to switch positions do a younger more athletic T. How does thu not make sense?? Hater....

Chiefster
04-18-2013, 07:38 AM

I get your point here bud, but I think Albert has made it clear that he wants out of KC and I would rather replace him with a top ten OL draft pick than to keep Albert who would rather be playing somewhere else. I have to admit that I'm a little baffled at the "tackles don't win Superbowls" mentality. I'm I to believe that tackles have absolutely nothing at all with winning Superbowls? Let's say for argument's sake that we draft Geno and eventually get to the Superbowl with him, could we leave our tackles at home and expect to win? I'm not saying that tackles alone win Superbowls but neither do quarterbacks. It's a collaborative effort, and I for one am ready to try putting together a championship team through top ranked draft picks as well as free agency activity. The Chiefs have been more active in free agency this year than they have in - I don't know how long, and Dorsey has made it clear that he intends to build through the draft; a philosophy by which several Superbowl teams have been successful. This is a little weird for me, I'm not used to disagreeing with you much at all, but like I said I do understand your point of view and how it may look like business as usual with the Chiefs.

Chiefster
04-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Last check no single player wins a SB without a team behind them. The Ravens won last year and took a T in the first round. Last time Green Bay won a SB they drafted a T in the first round. Df those played win the SB for their teams? You are replacing a LT that is disgruntled and not willing to switch positions do a younger more athletic T. How does thu not make sense?? Hater....

Absolutely agree with your point of view and you conveyed it nicely, but I know Guru personally and he is no "Hater", he's an avid fan.

70 chiefsfan70
04-18-2013, 09:17 AM
I have been an Albert supporter since day one. He has been criticized to no end. Yet he has done his job pretty darn well. His stats show him in the top 10 for a couple of years now, that is impressive considering his position becomes much harder with a "panic prone" qb who had the weakest and most inaccurate arm in the nfl. We were basicly a one dimentional team and he still did a very good job. He has been underpaid, up until this year, and up until this year has never complained that I am aware of.

I wanted the best available qb in this draft...........but with Alex and Chase signings I dont see the need for a qb in the first. I still believe we gave up waaaay to much for a qb that has little chance of being the qbotf. Since we are still in rebuilding mode I see a really big need in getting a second round pick back. This draft has enormous value in the second round and we are really missing out if we dont have a second. That all being said I think Alberts time is up. We need to free up some cash, and pick up a new young future hall of famer with that pick.

I wish Albert well.

Another thing to think about is, next year we will be in a world of hurt with the cap and I could see us having to let some big guys go, say like either Flowers, Berry, DJ, Hali, or even Alex, So it would not hurt to look for some replacements. Just saying. We desperately need to have a second round pick for this draft.

pepperfoot
04-18-2013, 11:28 AM
albert is not that good... i dont know why they are interested in him. there are much better players around then him sorry

Lord-Chiefy
04-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Keep him and draft the CB#1 to replace Carr

70 chiefsfan70
04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
albert is not that good... i dont know why they are interested in him. there are much better players around then him sorry

There is NOT a better LT available then Brandon. You put him on a team that actually has a decent qb and passing game he will look like a top 5 LT. Trust me, Albert is NOT the reason we sucked last year or the year before.

I dare bet even Luke Joeckle and Fisher wont have the impact Albert will in the next 3 years. Unless of course Aberts back may not be healed as expected and reported.

BTW...... Welcome to the Best Chiefs site on earth. :smile

Seek
04-18-2013, 01:00 PM
There is NOT a better LT available then Brandon. You put him on a team that actually has a decent qb and passing game he will look like a top 5 LT. Trust me, Albert is NOT the reason we sucked last year or the year before.

I dare bet even Luke Joeckle and Fisher wont have the impact Albert will in the next 3 years. Unless of course Aberts back may not be healed as expected and reported.

BTW...... Welcome to the Best Chiefs site on earth. :smile

They are reporting on the radio with Kevin Harlen that this is basically a done deal pending a physical. They are also about to have Herm Edwards one to discuss drafting Albert, because the Chiefs Traded up to get Albert because they knew Andy Reid and the Eagles were going to take him. So the conversation is basically stating that Andy Reid knows what he has with Albert from studying him in college and then agains the Chiefs and then with the Chiefs.

So the Chiefs know who they have. The problem is clear and has been very publicly announced. Albert has a bad back, even though he was cleared to be paid. He believes he is a top 3 LT and is wanting to be paid so, knowing that he has not played a full season with the last being out with a bad back. He has showng attitude towards the Chiefs stating that he tends to only play LT and is not open to being moved to Guard or RT.

The Chiefs are looking to trade Albert because He is looking for a payday that is not in the best interest of this franchise. They are not moving him simply because LT is the best player in this draft and don't need two of them.

jap1
04-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Apparently, the Dolphins can talk with Alberts agent about contract details, but Albert cannot go for a visit or physical yet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/18/chiefs-confirm-branden-alberts-agent-may-speak-with-dolphins/

matthewschiefs
04-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Let him take his selfish butt to Miami he is the ONLY guy who did not show up work workouts the ONLY one. He thinks he's to good to be there send him away

MyManHali
04-18-2013, 08:58 PM
This is the only franchise in the history of the NFL who is trading a LT to draft a LT with THE FIRST PICK IN THE ENTIRE DRAFT.

:lightbulb:

brdempsey69
04-18-2013, 10:43 PM
This is the only franchise in the history of the NFL who is trading a LT to draft a LT with THE FIRST PICK IN THE ENTIRE DRAFT.

Why don't we cut through the smokescreens and tell it like it is:

Remember when thay had the chance at #5, in 2010, to draft a LT prospect ( Russell Okung ) who, overall, possessed better blocking skills & better physical and athletic skills than anybody that the Chiefs had on their roster at that time & they could have moved Albert to Guard, but instead, opted to draft a Safety instead? Kind of come full circle hasn't it?

No, that isn't hindsight, either. This was discussed to death around the web prior to that selection being made, and I provided a whole slew of points as to why passing on Okung would do more to hurt them in the long run than drafting Berry would do to help them. Of course, Albert was everybody's crutch for taking Berry.

It backfired, just like I predicted that it would. Does anybody with any common sense and logic, really believe for one minute that if Dorsey/Reid had been with the Chiefs in 2010 and making that selection, that they would've taken Berry over Okung? Not a chance. Neither would have Dick Vermeil, Marty Schottenheimer, Hank Stram, or GM Don Klosterman.

Let him take his selfish butt to Miami he is the ONLY guy who did not show up work workouts the ONLY one. He thinks he's to good to be there send him away

He screwed the pooch when he announced he would only play LT & he wouldn't take whatever was offered to him by the new regime.

texaschief
04-19-2013, 12:38 AM

Actually, since there were no elite QB options available to upgrade the worst QB situation in the NFL, they traded their above average LT plus a 2nd round swap for an above average QB and got an elite level LT at #1.

Branden Albert's positional value < Alex Smith's positional value.

But you go on believing that the Chiefs took a lateral move.

texaschief
04-19-2013, 12:41 AM
Does anybody with any common sense and logic, really believe for one minute that if Dorsey/Reid had been with the Chiefs in 2010 and making that selection, that they would've taken Berry over Okung? Not a chance. Neither would have Dick Vermeil, Marty Schottenheimer, Hank Stram, or GM Don Klosterman.

Vermeil wouldn't have had a pick at #5... he would've traded that pick LOOOOOOOOONNNNG before he even got around to thinking about who he'd take at that spot. Vermeil and Peterson are primarily responsible for the hole this franchise has been in for the better part of the last decade.

brdempsey69
04-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Vermeil wouldn't have had a pick at #5... he would've traded that pick LOOOOOOOOONNNNG before he even got around to thinking about who he'd take at that spot. Vermeil and Peterson are primarily responsible for the hole this franchise has been in for the better part of the last decade.

You know full well that Pioli did more than his share to keep them in the hole. But, I agree, that the drafting done by Peterson and Vermeil was awful, except for a couple picks. But, I still say that IF Vermeil had that #5 pick in 2010, he takes Okung.

Seek
04-19-2013, 08:16 AM

Miami let their starting LT walk in free agency and is now looking to give up a second rounder to take a step down from what they previously had, and would move up in the first to get a LT but also need to keep their picks to replace a starting Corner they let also get signed in Free agency.

Why can't people realize that ithere is two sides to every signing. It is not the Chiefs telling Albert they don't want him and take a hike. It is Albert causing the issue by expecting to be made king, and publicly posting his stubborn attitude about it.

Eydugstr
04-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Actually, since there were no elite QB options available to upgrade the worst QB situation in the NFL, they traded their above average LT plus a 2nd round swap for an above average QB and got an elite level LT at #1.

If the Chiefs play their cards right...This could work out well. We could draft another QB as insurance in the second round.

It's not that Albert is a bad player, but the bottom line is if you've invested a large amount of money & draft picks in a QB like Alex Smith (who's coming off of injury) the last thing you want is a LT that's getting ready to throw a Larry Johnson style hissyfit if his contract doesn't have what he wants, franchise tag or no.

MyManHali
04-19-2013, 08:32 AM

How do you know he is elite? He has never played a single snap in the NFL. We traded a LT to get a slight upgrade at LT and then traded TWO second round picks for a game manager. But don't take the game manager comment from me, take it from your boy Derrick Johnson, that is what he said when he was asked about Alex Smith. Atleast Geno or a young qb can be developed into something more than a game manager.

And that's what we need, another game manager.

MyManHali
04-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Miami let their starting LT walk in free agency and is now looking to give up a second rounder to take a step down from what they previously had, and would move up in the first to get a LT but also need to keep their picks to replace a starting Corner they let also get signed in Free agency.

Why can't people realize that ithere is two sides to every signing. It is not the Chiefs telling Albert they don't want him and take a hike. It is Albert causing the issue by expecting to be made king, and publicly posting his stubborn attitude about it.

Great, so you're comparing us with Miami now. I'm sure they don't regret taking Matt Ryan, but hey why take a risk when you can play it conservative and pick a solid LT! Don't set the bar too high!

Ryfo18
04-19-2013, 11:11 AM
I remember when Miami drafted a LT #1, passed on Matt Ryan, and continued to search for a solution at QB for the next 5 years.

matthewschiefs
04-19-2013, 01:09 PM
How do you know he is elite? He has never played a single snap in the NFL. We traded a LT to get a slight upgrade at LT and then traded TWO second round picks for a game manager. But don't take the game manager comment from me, take it from your boy Derrick Johnson, that is what he said when he was asked about Alex Smith. Atleast Geno or a young qb can be developed into something more than a game manager.

And that's what we need, another game manager.

He could be he could be a total bust. Stop acting like it's a sure thing. Geno has done nothing to give you any impression that he's a sure thing you pimp the guy out like you owe him money. The fact is there is NO ONE that has geno worthy of the top pick. He wasn't even the best player at his pro day but we should take him with the best pick in the draft no question? Stop it. He could be good in the NFL he could be a total bust don't act like there is no question about it and that we are stupid for not taking him. We got a QB that has done something in the NFL. You really need to get over the Geno thing or just go root for the team that takes him.

matthewschiefs
04-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Great, so you're comparing us with Miami now. I'm sure they don't regret taking Matt Ryan, but hey why take a risk when you can play it conservative and pick a solid LT! Don't set the bar too high!

I remember when Miami drafted a LT #1, passed on Matt Ryan, and continued to search for a solution at QB for the next 5 years.

This Miami comparison would work if it were not for 1 little thing. Miami didn't go out that offseason and trade for a QB that year. THey didn't go trade for a QB who had a playoff win under his belt and had his team close to the superbowl. Outside of that little fact it works

pojote
04-19-2013, 02:11 PM

Why don't do the same with Bowe and Tamba? They did the same thing.

matthewschiefs
04-19-2013, 02:35 PM

I said the same thing with Bowe last year. It drives me nuts when these guys pout that there "not getting paid" when they make Millions of dollars. When your getting paid 9 million you should show up to work

Ryfo18
04-19-2013, 03:09 PM
This Miami comparison would work if it were not for 1 little thing. Miami didn't go out that offseason and trade for a QB that year. THey didn't go trade for a QB who had a playoff win under his belt and had his team close to the superbowl. Outside of that little fact it works

You're right. They did however sign Chad Pennington, who DID have 2 playoff wins under his belt (Alex Smith has 1, btw). Alex Smith was benched for a 2nd year QB, as well.

So how are the situations that different again? Still think they wouldn't want Matt Ryan instead of Jake Long? Of course they would.

matthewschiefs
04-19-2013, 03:54 PM
You're right. They did however sign Chad Pennington, who DID have 2 playoff wins under his belt (Alex Smith has 1, btw). Alex Smith was benched for a 2nd year QB, as well.

So how are the situations that different again? Still think they wouldn't want Matt Ryan instead of Jake Long? Of course they would.

They signed Pennington AFTER the after WELL after the draft in August. They had not already traded for a QB before the draft. But I'm sure that doesn't matter.

And Smith lost his job due to injury it's not like it was due to poor play.

Seek
04-19-2013, 04:04 PM

I don't recall anything in my post comparing Miami to the Chiefs. I was only showing that the Chiefs are not the only team to pass on their current player only to draft that same postion. I am sure if the Chiefs had Traded Cassel and draft Geno you would still think it was stupid.

Ryfo18
04-19-2013, 05:38 PM
They signed Pennington AFTER the after WELL after the draft in August. They had not already traded for a QB before the draft. But I'm sure that doesn't matter.

And Smith lost his job due to injury it's not like it was due to poor play.

Why does it matter when they signed him? They still relied on a retread QB from another team. Only they were smart enough to not blow an early 2nd rounder on him.

Smith has lost his job several times in the past. It wasn't until Jim Harbaugh arrived that he magically started playing OK (keyword: OK). Harbaugh's smart though. That's why he threw Kaepernick in as soon as he got the opportunity.

You're a homer. If the Chiefs were set to draft Geno in this draft, you'd be arguing for that side too.

matthewschiefs
04-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Why does it matter when they signed him? They still relied on a retread QB from another team. Only they were smart enough to not blow an early 2nd rounder on him.

It matters because it effects your mindset on how to approach the draft. Teams who already have a qb who they think there going to be going with are less likely to draft a QB unless he's far and away better then anyone on the board. Right or wrong the Chiefs went out and got someone they think is going to be there QB going forward. We will see if they are right or wrong on Smith. But at the time the Dolphins drafted long they had yet to go get a QB. We have. It's not the same situation sorry it's just not.

Smith has lost his job several times in the past. It wasn't until Jim Harbaugh arrived that he magically started playing OK (keyword: OK). Harbaugh's smart though. That's why he threw Kaepernick in as soon as he got the opportunity.
He had lost his job under HORRIBLE coaching. I again ask you to show me 1 qb to play good under Mike Nolan and Singletary. Name 1. The coaching was piss poor for Smith his first few years. When he got good coaching the team went from being Horrible in 2010 to being a couple of muffed punts away from the superbowl. Smiths improved play was a part of that.

You're a homer. If the Chiefs were set to draft Geno in this draft, you'd be arguing for that side too.

And you have had your lips on Geno's rear end for months anyone else that we pick if it was a LT or any one else you would find a way to say how stupid we are for not drafting Geno Smith. He's not the sure thing you and my man make him out to be. Hell there's anther QB in this draft to beat Geno 3 times. If Geno is so good like you like to claim Ryan Nassib must be god. If Geno was the guy who reports were saying we would be picking you're right I would be ok with it. I would defend him just like I am the reported pick of Jockel against people who were being unfair to the pick before it has even happened. Before he has played 1 nfl snap. Maybe just maybe Dorsey and Reid know what they are doing. It's possible. But anyone not named Geno will suck apperently

brdempsey69
04-19-2013, 10:57 PM

Not quite. Neither Hali or Bowe got involved with the social media when the franchise tag was put on them, the way Albert did. They both kept silent & neither made statements about "wanting long term commitments" or "not wanting to play under the franchise tag". Neither were there any physical concerns like Albert has regarding back issues. Totally different scenario regarding Albert & both Bowe and Hali have been more productive players through their time in KC than Albert has been

tornadospotter
04-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Just my opinion, and it is just mine, we need OL help, biggest need on our team, QB change has happen, there is no QB worthy of a first pick in this draft, not sure if even a 1st round. Does not mean that any of them could become great, just saying there not worth the pick now. I like Fisher, because he is willing to play RT or LT, that says he wants to just play, Branden has stated he only want to play LT, so that sounds to me like someone who is unwilling to do a job he is assigned to do, I for one do not like employees who are not willing to do the job they are asked to do. So I have no problem with trading Branden Alberts.

pojote
04-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Not quite. Neither Hali or Bowe got involved with the social media when the franchise tag was put on them, the way Albert did. They both kept silent & neither made statements about "wanting long term commitments" or "not wanting to play under the franchise tag". Neither were there any physical concerns like Albert has regarding back issues. Totally different scenario regarding Albert & both Bowe and Hali have been more productive players through their time in KC than Albert has been

OK. The problem isn't that he didn't showed up for voluntary workouts, the problem is that he made public what other players said in private.

MyManHali
04-20-2013, 01:07 PM

We traded 2 second round picks for a qb who has played for 8 seasons with 1 whole playoff win under his belt. This is getting sadder and sadder.

Lord-Chiefy
04-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Piss ff. Off. Hali Orton. Ps

matthewschiefs
04-20-2013, 03:50 PM
We traded 2 second round picks for a qb who has played for 8 seasons with 1 whole playoff win under his belt. This is getting sadder and sadder.

First off if it gets to the point where the trade is 2 2nd rounders then Alex did well the 2nd pick is unkown because it depends on how things go. So stop trying to act like the trade is final in regards to the 2nd pick.

And it's so much better to REACH HIGHLY use the best pick of the enitire draft on a guy who NO ONE thinks is good enough to be the number 1 pick. Ya that's so much smarter then a guy who has done well over the past couple of years in the NFL. RIGHT

matthewschiefs
04-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Just my opinion, and it is just mine, we need OL help, biggest need on our team, QB change has happen, there is no QB worthy of a first pick in this draft, not sure if even a 1st round. Does not mean that any of them could become great, just saying there not worth the pick now. I like Fisher, because he is willing to play RT or LT, that says he wants to just play, Branden has stated he only want to play LT, so that sounds to me like someone who is unwilling to do a job he is assigned to do, I for one do not like employees who are not willing to do the job they are asked to do. So I have no problem with trading Branden Alberts.

He won't even show up to work in the first place. Being paid 9 million$ sorry but you should show up to work

brdempsey69
04-20-2013, 04:01 PM
OK. The problem isn't that he didn't showed up for voluntary workouts, the problem is that he made public what other players said in private.

The difference is, Albert signed the tender already and yet, he said he won't show up until he's given a long-term deal, which the new Chiefs regime simply CANNOT give until he proves he can hold up for an entire season, and he's not worthy of the top 5 LT money that he wants, anyway.

MyManHali
04-20-2013, 07:17 PM
First off if it gets to the point where the trade is 2 2nd rounders then Alex did well the 2nd pick is unkown because it depends on how things go. So stop trying to act like the trade is final in regards to the 2nd pick.

And it's so much better to REACH HIGHLY use the best pick of the enitire draft on a guy who NO ONE thinks is good enough to be the number 1 pick. Ya that's so much smarter then a guy who has done well over the past couple of years in the NFL. RIGHT

You just described our LT position to a tee, and we are going to need more than just a game manager at qb to contend for a super bowl. That's why Alex Smith is not the answer. RIGHT

matthewschiefs
04-20-2013, 07:54 PM
You just described our LT position to a tee, and we are going to need more than just a game manager at qb to contend for a super bowl. That's why Alex Smith is not the answer. RIGHT

I hate to tell you this I know that it's hard to see draft boards and keep your lips on Geno's backside at the same time but FAR more people have Jockel near the top of the board then Geno or any other QB in this years draft. But go one preaching how stupid we are for not INSANELY REACHING for Geno Smith when theres even a QB in the draft that beat Geno 3 times. But I'm sure that doesn't Matter. The only thing that's sad is your mancrush on Geno Smith

brdempsey69
04-20-2013, 08:05 PM
I hate to tell you this I know that it's hard to see draft boards and keep your lips on Geno's backside at the same time but FAR more people have Jockel near the top of the board then Geno or any other QB in this years draft. But go one preaching how stupid we are for not INSANELY REACHING for Geno Smith when theres even a QB in the draft that beat Geno 3 times. But I'm sure that doesn't Matter. The only thing that's sad is your mancrush on Geno Smith

Therein lies the problem. Too many people aren't willing to give Alex Smith that same chance that they'd be willing to give Geno Smith -- even in spite of the fact that Alex Smith has won in the post-season and he carried the Niners in that 2011 playoff victory. Go figure.

MyManHali
04-20-2013, 08:46 PM

Well Geno or whoever. Joe Flacco was not looked at as a number 1 pick and look what happened, do you think Baltimore regrets the decision? If we had taken the plunge and drafted a qb scrub in 2009 we would be in the exact same position we are in now versus getting the "sure thing" FA, and how did that turn out?

So to sum it up are you saying Alex Smith is a great-elite qb or do you believe he is a competent game manager?

It's either one or the other.

matthewschiefs
04-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Well Geno or whoever. Joe Flacco was not looked at as a number 1 pick and look what happened, do you think Baltimore regrets the decision? If we had taken the plunge and drafted a qb scrub in 2009 we would be in the exact same position we are in now versus getting the "sure thing" FA, and how did that turn out?

So to sum it up are you saying Alex Smith is a great-elite qb or do you believe he is a competent game manager?

Did the Ravens have the number 1 overall pick when they took Flacco? No it's apples to oranges In regards to comparing the 2 situations. ANd what "sure thing FA did we get in 09? I don't remember any

I not once have said Alex Smith is Elite. NOT ONCE. What I have said is He did well when he had a head coach that was worth anything. There's reason to think he can do ok in KC. His last start that "he got benched" he was

18/19 232 yards 3td 0int Yep horrible

In 10 games last season he had a QB rateing over 100 in 5 of them Again horrible I no

His overall QB rateing last year was 104 Ya who can win with a garbage QB like that.

He is 19-5-1 in the last 2 seasons HORRIBLE GET HIM OUT OF THE NFL

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

He did struggle his first few years but i again challange you to find me a qb who did well under the head coaches he had.

You act like he's been horrible he wasn't You give him NO credit at all

Geno Has DONE NOTHING in the NFL. HE never had his team close to the title in college (which you give him 0 blame for) but he's the unquestoned hall of fame QB? Stop just stop it's embarrassing Stop whineing just because they are not drafting who you want or go root for whatever team drafts geno

MyManHali
04-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Did the Ravens have the number 1 overall pick when they took Flacco? No it's apples to oranges In regards to comparing the 2 situations. ANd what "sure thing FA did we get in 09? I don't remember any

I not once have said Alex Smith is Elite. NOT ONCE. What I have said is He did well when he had a head coach that was worth anything. There's reason to think he can do ok in KC. His last start that "he got benched" he was

18/19 232 yards 3td 0int Yep horrible

In 10 games last season he had a QB rateing over 100 in 5 of them Again horrible I no

His overall QB rateing last year was 104 Ya who can win with a garbage QB like that.

He is 19-5-1 in the last 2 seasons HORRIBLE GET HIM OUT OF THE NFL

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

He did struggle his first few years but i again challange you to find me a qb who did well under the head coaches he had.

You act like he's been horrible he wasn't You give him NO credit at all

Geno Has DONE NOTHING in the NFL. HE never had his team close to the title in college (which you give him 0 blame for) but he's the unquestoned hall of fame QB? Stop just stop it's embarrassing Stop whineing just because they are not drafting who you want or go root for whatever team drafts geno

You didn't understand what I was saying.

First of all, do you think Baltimore would of passed on Flacco if they ahd the number 1 pick and addressed a position they have no need for? Because that is exactly what we are doing.

I never said you said he was elite. I said either you think he is great-elite or you think he is a competent game manager. In 2009 and even in 2010, rather than trying to invest in a qb through the draft we went for the "sure thing" FA qb in Matt Cassel who had one good season with A STACKED TEAM, Alex Smith has had 1.5 seasons WITH A STACKED TEAM but he is looked upon as a game manager, nothing more nothing less. There is a reason Jim Harbaugh let him shop around after the end of the 2011 season.

I am not denying that he has had good CONSERVATIVE numbers, unfortunately conservative numbers won't lead you to the super bowl. In SF Smith relied on a strong defense and a strong running game to win. He didn't go out and command the offense, he didn't throw very much. Not only do we have worries about him producing on the field we have to worry about him staying on the field.

All of this is a recipe to strive for mediocrity which is a shame.

Lord-Chiefy
04-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Um..I believe we have a strong d and run game too..don't we?? Keep burrying yourself you just can't help yourself. Wether your posing as mymanorton or mymanhali either way your a awefull fan.

matthewschiefs
04-21-2013, 12:57 AM
You didn't understand what I was saying.

First of all, do you think Baltimore would of passed on Flacco if they ahd the number 1 pick and addressed a position they have no need for? Because that is exactly what we are doing.

I don't know does the player Baltimore already has have a contract issue? Maybe then they do if there's no one really standing out at the top of the draft like this year. It's not so cut and dry. You have to go by the situation And you don't think we need o line help? You're happy with a O line that gave up 10 sacks in 2 games at the end of last year. We don't need depth on the Oline? Really? cool story.

I never said you said he was elite. I said either you think he is great-elite or you think he is a competent game manager. In 2009 and even in 2010, rather than trying to invest in a qb through the draft we went for the "sure thing" FA qb in Matt Cassel who had one good season with A STACKED TEAM, Alex Smith has had 1.5 seasons WITH A STACKED TEAM but he is looked upon as a game manager, nothing more nothing less. There is a reason Jim Harbaugh let him shop around after the end of the 2011 season.

I don't know what Alex Smith is just yet. We have seen some good and some bad. We will soon see what he does with this team. I won't judge him just because he's not who I wanted like you do.

So Tavon austin had nothing to do with why Geno did so well? Of course QBS play better when they have better talent around them. But I'm sure Geno Smith was catching his own passes pass blocking for himself and doing everything himself. Why is it you only hold QBS having talent around them against the QBS you don't like?

I am not denying that he has had good CONSERVATIVE numbers, unfortunately conservative numbers won't lead you to the super bowl. In SF Smith relied on a strong defense and a strong running game to win. He didn't go out and command the offense, he didn't throw very much. Not only do we have worries about him producing on the field we have to worry about him staying on the field.

All of this is a recipe to strive for mediocrity which is a shame.

WRONG

Look at his game logs in 2011 in 8 games (half a season) he threw the pall at least 30 times they were 7-1 in those games he threw over 20 times in every game but 1 he threw the ball
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03/gamelog/2011/

In 2012 there were 3 more times that he threw the ball they were 1-2 in those games bringing the total to 8-3 overall when he threw the ball 30 times or more. He again threw the ball 20 plus times in all games he started but 1 the game he got a concussion in when he was a horrible 18/19

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03/gamelog/2012/

You make it sound like all he did was hand the ball off. But I'm sure you will tell us his record when the defense gave up a bunch of points because it's always the qbs fault that the defense sucks sometimes unless it's your boy geno.

But anyway this talk that he didn't throw much is WRONG unless your going to tell me it takes 40 times a game to be considered throwing the ball.

texaschief
04-21-2013, 01:36 AM

I love how you cherry-pick scenarios like Baltimore with Flacco or Miami with Jake Long. The total disregard of the numerous 1st round QB busts during that same time span is hysterically comical. You have ZERO credibility by not addressing the 95% of the scenarios that absolutely oppose your view point.

MyManHali
04-21-2013, 09:50 AM
I love how you cherry-pick scenarios like Baltimore with Flacco or Miami with Jake Long. The total disregard of the numerous 1st round QB busts during that same time span is hysterically comical. You have ZERO credibility by not addressing the 95% of the scenarios that absolutely oppose your view point.

Like I said, most of the teams that are successful take the qb risk through the draft. If we had drafted joe blow at qb with our third pick in 09 we would be in the same exact position we are in now. We have not taken that risk and have not been a contender for a long time.

This is no coincidence.

MyManHali
04-21-2013, 10:04 AM
I don't know does the player Baltimore already has have a contract issue? Maybe then they do if there's no one really standing out at the top of the draft like this year. It's not so cut and dry. You have to go by the situation And you don't think we need o line help? You're happy with a O line that gave up 10 sacks in 2 games at the end of last year. We don't need depth on the Oline? Really? cool story.

I don't know what Alex Smith is just yet. We have seen some good and some bad. We will soon see what he does with this team. I won't judge him just because he's not who I wanted like you do.

So Tavon austin had nothing to do with why Geno did so well? Of course QBS play better when they have better talent around them. But I'm sure Geno Smith was catching his own passes pass blocking for himself and doing everything himself. Why is it you only hold QBS having talent around them against the QBS you don't like?

WRONG

Look at his game logs in 2011 in 8 games (half a season) he threw the pall at least 30 times they were 7-1 in those games he threw over 20 times in every game but 1 he threw the ball
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03/gamelog/2011/

In 2012 there were 3 more times that he threw the ball they were 1-2 in those games bringing the total to 8-3 overall when he threw the ball 30 times or more. He again threw the ball 20 plus times in all games he started but 1 the game he got a concussion in when he was a horrible 18/19

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03/gamelog/2012/

You make it sound like all he did was hand the ball off. But I'm sure you will tell us his record when the defense gave up a bunch of points because it's always the qbs fault that the defense sucks sometimes unless it's your boy geno.

But anyway this talk that he didn't throw much is WRONG unless your going to tell me it takes 40 times a game to be considered throwing the ball.

Flacco becomes the super bowl mvp, of course they would have drafted him all over again. To say otherwise would be idiotic.

You have to remember not once during the 2011 season when he had atleast 30 attempts did he have a 300 yard passing game which is mind boggling, it supports my opinion of him only being a game manager and not a qb who can anchor an offense. This reminds me very much of Matt Cassel, only Matt Cassel was on a far worse team. Let's be realistic, a 17-32 185 yard 1 td 0 int performance could get you a win on a stacked team like the 49ers as Alex Smith did, but with the Chiefs I HIGHLY doubt it.

Your 40 times a game comment is realistic under Reid, quarterbacks under Reid have averaged 37.8 attempts per game.

The conclusion we must come to is that Alex Smith at best will be Matt Cassel of 2010. A qb who makes conservative decisions, doesn't give up a lot of int's and relies on short completions/running game to move the ball.

He is Matt Cassel 2.0 and we must all accept this.

Bike
04-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Albert must be replaced. And we need a 2nd rd pick for acquiring Alex Smith. This looks like a no-brainer to me.

matthewschiefs
04-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Flacco becomes the super bowl mvp, of course they would have drafted him all over again. To say otherwise would be idiotic.

FAIL

So at the time of the draft the Ravens Knew what he was going to become? REALLY? They knew for a fact he was going to be a superbowl MVP. Stop it.

You have to remember not once during the 2011 season when he had atleast 30 attempts did he have a 300 yard passing game which is mind boggling, it supports my opinion of him only being a game manager and not a qb who can anchor an offense. This reminds me very much of Matt Cassel, only Matt Cassel was on a far worse team. Let's be realistic, a 17-32 185 yard 1 td 0 int performance could get you a win on a stacked team like the 49ers as Alex Smith did, but with the Chiefs I HIGHLY doubt it.

FAIL

You said he didn't throw the ball very much. The game logs PROVE YOU WRONG. Stop it

Under you assement Troy Aikman a HOF qb SUCKED and couldn't win a superbowl. The Cowboys of the 90s were built on a running game and a good defense. So they sucked right? Troy sucked right? Oh wait he's a HOF QB who won superbowls. Just because a team is built around a good d and a running game doesn't mean the QB sucks.

But he only averaged 8 ypc instead of 8.1 YPC he clearly sucks because the difference from sucking to being a god among QBs is apperently .1YPC

Your 40 times a game comment is realistic under Reid, quarterbacks under Reid have averaged 37.8 attempts per game.

The conclusion we must come to is that Alex Smith at best will be Matt Cassel of 2010. A qb who makes conservative decisions, doesn't give up a lot of int's and relies on short completions/running game to move the ball.

He is Matt Cassel 2.0 and we must all accept this.

FAIL

BLAH again with the Cassel 2.0 thing. This has already been proven wrong but I'll bite and give you a BIG difference after Cassel's good 2010 season he went backwords after Smith's 2011 season he got better in last year going form a QB rating of 90.7 to 104.1 He went forward Cassel went backwards but I'm sure that doesn't matter

MyManHali
04-21-2013, 01:24 PM
FAIL

So at the time of the draft the Ravens Knew what he was going to become? REALLY? They knew for a fact he was going to be a superbowl MVP. Stop it.

If they didn't think he would of been a good player why would they have drafted him? They certainly don't regret drafting him now do they? But they could of played it safe and drafted a position they didn't need, like we do.

FAIL

You said he didn't throw the ball very much. The game logs PROVE YOU WRONG. Stop it

Under you assement Troy Aikman a HOF qb SUCKED and couldn't win a superbowl. The Cowboys of the 90s were built on a running game and a good defense. So they sucked right? Troy sucked right? Oh wait he's a HOF QB who won superbowls. Just because a team is built around a good d and a running game doesn't mean the QB sucks.

But he only averaged 8 ypc instead of 8.1 YPC he clearly sucks because the difference from sucking to being a god among QBs is apperently .1YPC

It's not the 90's, you need a qb who can command an offense, Alex Smith can't command an offense. He was 20th in attempts in 2011. When his attempts were lessened he started having success. How is that going to work out now that he is going to be throwing the ball EVEN MORE?

FAIL

BLAH again with the Cassel 2.0 thing. This has already been proven wrong but I'll bite and give you a BIG difference after Cassel's good 2010 season he went backwords after Smith's 2011 season he got better in last year going form a QB rating of 90.7 to 104.1 He went forward Cassel went backwards but I'm sure that doesn't matter. Like I said, if you want to make a wager this season, and it doesn't have to be money I am down. He is Matt Cassel v2.0. If he is top 10 in rating, ypg and td passes this season I will leave the board forever.

We need to try to build through the draft, and that includes the qb position. That is something that this fanbase and organization doesn't understand. There is a reason we have not contended for a long time. With the exception of Drew Brees the last qb to win a super bowl that was not drafted in the first round were the Patriots in 2004 with Tom Brady.

It's time we get serious about taking a quarterback and developing him into what we want him to be. That is all I am saying.

Bortnem
04-21-2013, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=MyManHali;280278]You didn't understand what I was saying.

If Baltimore had the #1 pick in 2008, they would have definitely passed on Flacco. If they wanted a QB they would have taken Matt Ryan. You cant honestly think that Baltimore would have taken Flacco #1 that year when in the actual draft 17 other teams passed on him.

We gave up a second round pick for a known commodity rather than spend the top pick in the draft on a unknown commodity in Geno. He may turn out to be a stud, but if he isnt even considered an elite QB for this weak of a QB draft class, then we cant be taking that risk. Just b/c we havent "taken the risk" of drafting a QB high in the draft, doesnt mean we need to take that risk just to say we have done it. Drafting is all about calculating the risk-reward and teams dont just draft players or positions just to say "ok we have now drafted a QB in the first round"

matthewschiefs
04-21-2013, 01:57 PM
We need to try to build through the draft, and that includes the qb position. That is something that this fanbase and organization doesn't understand. There is a reason we have not contended for a long time. With the exception of Drew Brees the last qb to win a super bowl that was not drafted in the first round were the Patriots in 2004 with Tom Brady.

It's time we get serious about taking a quarterback and developing him into what we want him to be. That is all I am saying.

You're right they did think they would be good. But your comparison to there situation and ours is just apples to oranges they didn't have the overall number 1 pick. And every team takes a player because they think he's going to be good. Not one GM in the history of the NFL in the 1st round has said you know I think this guys going to be a bust so I'm going to take him. You are acting like they knew that he was going to be a superbowl MVP when they drafted him they didn't you're giving them the benifit of after the fact. NO team knows whats going to happen when they draft a player.

They had a winning record when he threw the ball at least 30 times. That's not bad. And how do you know he can't command an offense are you in the huddle with him? Alex Smith has been pretty good the last couple of years. He had his team on the brink of the superbowl in 2011 he's not the one who muffed the punts. They didn't lose the NFC title game because he "couldn't command the offense" they lost that NFC title game because of the muffed punts. He has shown he can get a team far. He COULD do that in KC. Why just assume that he can't? Other then he's not who you want.

brdempsey69
04-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Regarding this discussion about QB's, I have noticed one fact that has been overlooked.

Consider that Eli Manning has helped the Giants win the SB in both 2007 and 2011, but here's the thing that keeps going unnoticed:

HE WAS NOT DRAFTED BY THE GIANTS -- HE WAS TRADED TO THEM BY SD AND I DON'T GIVE A F--- IF HE WAS TAKEN #1 OVERALL. UNLIKE GENO, HE WAS PROJECTED TO BE TAKEN #1 OVERALL. ALSO, THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES WHATSOEVER THAT SD WOULD HAVE WON ANY SB'S IF MANNING HAD STAYED WITH SD.

Therefore, give Alex Smith the same chance as you would any QB that they could take in the upcoming draft. Since Alex Smith is on board, the top priority is to protect him & get their O-Line back to a level excellence they once had from 2002 -- 2005. Branden Albert has chosen to go hump his neighbors dog in drama-queen fashion, instead of seriously wanting to become a part of that. I don't care if he said he wants to be in KC, as his actions have CLEARLY contradicted that & he's not a top 10 LT, anyway. It's time to cut ties with him, turn the page, and move on.

Don't tell me the Chiefs don't need to draft a Tackle like Joeckel or Fisher, when it's blatantly obvious that they do. Regardless of whether Albert stays in 2013 or gets traded, he doesn't factor into that equation & John Dorsey has already said as much.

matthewschiefs
04-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Regarding this discussion about QB's, I have noticed one fact that has been overlooked.

Consider that Eli Manning has helped the Giants win the SB in both 2007 and 2011, but here's the thing that keeps going unnoticed:

HE WAS NOT DRAFTED BY THE GIANTS -- HE WAS TRADED TO THEM BY SD AND I DON'T GIVE A F--- IF HE WAS TAKEN #1 OVERALL. UNLIKE GENO, HE WAS PROJECTED TO BE TAKEN #1 OVERALL. ALSO, THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES WHATSOEVER THAT SD WOULD HAVE WON ANY SB'S IF MANNING HAD STAYED WITH SD.

Therefore, give Alex Smith the same chance as you would any QB that they could take in the upcoming draft. Since Alex Smith is on board, the top priority is to protect him & get their O-Line back to a level excellence they once had from 2002 -- 2005. Branden Albert has chosen to go hump his neighbors dog in drama-queen fashion, instead of seriously wanting to become a part of that. I don't care if he said he wants to be in KC, as his actions have CLEARLY contradicted that & he's not a top 10 LT, anyway. It's time to cut ties with him, turn the page, and move on.

Don't tell me the Chiefs don't need to draft a Tackle like Joeckel or Fisher, when it's blatantly obvious that they do. Regardless of whether Albert stays in 2013 or gets traded, he doesn't factor into that equation & John Dorsey has already said as much.

Regarding the QB part don't let little facts get in way of the geno lovers dream that he's already the best QB in the history of the game

Regarding Albert his contract is one thing also his back in anther. To my knowledge Joeckel or Fisher are not coming off the back problems that Albert is. It's never a given that a guy is going to come back to 100% on any injury. And Maybe just maybe Joeckel or Fisher would be better then Albert. It's just far to early to say that it's a lateral move.

brdempsey69
04-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Regarding the QB part don't let little facts get in way of the geno lovers dream that he's already the best QB in the history of the game

Regarding Albert his contract is one thing also his back in anther. To my knowledge Joeckel or Fisher are not coming off the back problems that Albert is. It's never a given that a guy is going to come back to 100% on any injury. And Maybe just maybe Joeckel or Fisher would be better then Albert. It's just far to early to say that it's a lateral move.

I've already seen Joeckel and Fisher demonstrate better overall blocking skills than I've ever seen from Albert. This "lateral move" BS is a copout being used by a herd of sheep wearing diapers out there, that are threatening to crap in those diapers, if the Chiefs take a Tackle at #1, because they want some 'bling' guy to put on their fantasy football teams and O-Lineman, of course, don't qualify for fantasy football.

spiman
04-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Enough said..

brdempsey69
04-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Enough said..by a herd of sheep wearing diapers out there, that are threatening to crap in those diapers, if the Chiefs take a Tackle at #1, because they want some 'bling' guy to put on their fantasy football teams and O-Lineman, of course, don't qualify for fantasy football & try to make Albert to be a top 10 LT, when he's not and none of the other 31 teams view him as such & these same sheep want to keep using Albert as a crutch to draft some 'bling' guy like Geno Smith, & because they don't have the intestinal fortitude to face the reality that taking Berry over Russell Okung at #5 in the 2010 draft was a huge mistake that has now come full circle & they can't stomach the possibility of that same crutch with Albert for passing on Okung in 2010 is most likely about to be eliminated.

Fixed.

Ryfo18
04-21-2013, 06:18 PM
get their O-Line back to a level excellence they once had from 2002 -- 2005.

Yeah and maybe it will yield us one playoff appearance and no playoff wins.

People are significantly overrating how much an elite offensive line will help us. If you have a great offensive line, you aren't much better off than if you have a good offensive line. The biggest difference at that point is the quarterback.

The O-line the Chiefs trotted out last year was better than any of the last 8 Super Bowl Champion's O-lines. You can argue Joeckel this, Joeckel that all day, but none of the elite teams are building their team by spending high picks on the offensive line. And by high, I'm talking top 10.

brdempsey69
04-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Yeah and maybe it will yield us one playoff appearance and no playoff wins.

People are significantly overrating how much an elite offensive line will help us. If you have a great offensive line, you aren't much better off than if you have a good offensive line.

The O-line the Chiefs trotted out last year was better than any of the last 8 Super Bowl Champion's O-lines.

The statement "The O-line the Chiefs trotted out last year was better than any of the last 8 Super Bowl Champion's O-lines" has got to be the stupidest statement I've ever seen & nowhere remotely close to being true.

And if you really believe that, then it's obvious you were raised on Milk of Magnesia, because you totally full of crap. But, of course, you left out the fact that since Roaf and Shields retired, combined with the overall declining play of their O-Line being the biggest reason the Chiefs have had the worst record of any team in the AFC since 2007 & with multiple QB's getting beaten into zombies during that time.

In the light of that, it's not a case of people overrating the O-Line, but a case of the fantasy football kiddies like you, underrating it.

Ryfo18
04-21-2013, 06:35 PM
In the light of that, it's not a case of people overrating the O-Line, but a case of the fanatasy football kiddies like you, underrating it.

I'm not a "fantasy football kiddie." Of course I play it because it's fun, but I spend many nights watching film, rating prospects (O-line included), and writing about the draft.

Yes, the Chiefs O-line is good. Anyone who tells you differently isn't paying attention. Do we need to go back to tape breakdown where I show you what a designed screen is again? Or what Tampa-2 coverage is? I get that you have these pre-disposed biases towards the O-line, but this is also a very different game than it was 10 years ago. For one, teams throw the ball significantly more, and you just need guys that can hold their blocks for 2-3 seconds in many cases.

The addition of Joeckel will make them better. It's a pretty negligible move in the grand scheme of things though. At some point, your O-line is only as good as your quarterback.

And unlike you, I can have a conversation without resorting to name calling and terrible lines about crapping diapers and drinking milk of magnesia. What's the point of using crappy lines like that? Thankfully there is an ignore button for you.

brdempsey69
04-21-2013, 06:41 PM
You can argue Joeckel this, Joeckel that all day, but none of the elite teams are building their team by spending high picks on the offensive line. And by high, I'm talking top 10.

Washington with Trent Williams at #4, Seattle with Okung at #6. Niners took Davis at #11 and Iupati at #17 in 2010. Most times the elite teams aren't even draftin in the top 10.

You fail, try again.

Ryfo18
04-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Washington with Trent Williams at #4, Seattle with Okung at #6. Niners took Davis at #11 and Iupati at #17 in 2010. Most times the elite teams aren't even draftin in the top 10.

You fail, try again.

2/3 of those teams never had a winning season until they got a QB either. And Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers defense (best in the league in 2011) were the reason for their success in 2011. Not to mention the 49ers gave up the 7th most sacks in 2011 also.

Later dude.

matthewschiefs
04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm not a "fantasy football kiddie." Of course I play it because it's fun, but I spend many nights watching film, rating prospects (O-line included), and writing about the draft.

Yes, the Chiefs O-line is good. Anyone who tells you differently isn't paying attention. Do we need to go back to tape breakdown where I show you what a designed screen is again? Or what Tampa-2 coverage is? I get that you have these pre-disposed biases towards the O-line, but this is also a very different game than it was 10 years ago. For one, teams throw the ball significantly more, and you just need guys that can hold their blocks for 2-3 seconds in many cases.

The addition of Joeckel will make them better. It's a pretty negligible move in the grand scheme of things though. At some point, your O-line is only as good as your quarterback.

And unlike you, I can have a conversation without resorting to name calling and terrible lines about crapping diapers and drinking milk of magnesia. What's the point of using crappy lines like that?

They were good until they had injuries. Then that o line was HORRIBLE again they went 2 games giving up 10 sacks. 10 that's NOT a good O line that's why we need O Line help. Joeckel would be O line help. He's near the top if not at the top of a lot of draft boards. That's why we would take him. We need help in the o line he's there he's in an area that we need help in. Do we need help in other areas YES we do. But you don't REACH for a guy when there's a guy in a area you need help in that's much higher on the board.

Ryfo18
04-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Guy tries to tell me that O-line is not overrated and then uses the Seahawks/Redskins/49ers as examples. The Seahawks and Redskins were garbage until they drafted good QBs. 49ers were garbage until they had the 2nd best scoring defense in the league. Oh, and they traded up to draft a quarterback! Seriously. You just can't argue with people that are so thickheaded that they won't even vaguely think that someone else's opinion is correct. This guy has been harping the O-line every year while failing to realize the Chiefs have probably a top 10-15 O-line in recent years. This same guy couldn't even recognize a designed screen play and instead thought that the Oline got worked. Consider the source, folks.

No team in this league is winning a championship with an elite O-line. Take a look at the left tackles that have won Super Bowls in recent years. We're talking about middle of the road guys. And yet O-line isn't overrated...Yawn.

Thankfully, I finally gave in and won't see anymore of his posts. It's just not worth reading the constant nonsense. Try talking to the guy about actual X's and O's and you'll see the lack of football IQ shine through.

brdempsey69
04-21-2013, 07:08 PM

You are wrong on ALL counts. They are NOT good. I have seen the evidence with my own eyes repeatedly for SIX years. That "designed screen" play that you were pumping you neighbors dog over doesn't equate to hundreds of plays that I've seen in that time span -- including last year -- where their O-Line literally got ran over. It isn't pre-disposed bias, it's simply calling it like I see it.

As for throwing the ball, it ISN'T any different than 10 years ago -- if your QB is getting hit constantly and getting beaten into a zombie, then you don't have success throwing the ball and that facet of the game has never changed.

The problem is, mediocre O-Line play has become an accepted standard with many Chiefs, thanks to their minds being poisoned by the Scott Pioli regime. I will NOT accept it knowing that it's made the Chiefs the laughing stock of the NFL the past several years.

Good luck convincing any player that's been successful playing QB in the NFL of that line of BS. I already know they'd tell you the opposite.

And unlike you, I can have a conversation without resorting to name calling and terrible lines about crapping diapers and drinking milk of magnesia. What's the point of using crappy lines like that?

If the shoe fits, then wear it !! And let's not kid ourselves about those individuals being labeled as such -- they are always submitting to "p!ss on our own heads & tell ourselves it's raining" type of thinking just like their twin brother, Scott Pioli.

Thankfully there is an ignore button for you.

By all means, use it then. I'm just going to laugh about it & so are others, most likely.

Guy tries to tell me that O-line is not overrated and then uses the Seahawks/Redskins/49ers as examples. The Seahawks and Redskins were garbage until they drafted good QBs. 49ers were garbage until they had the 2nd best scoring defense in the league. Oh, and they traded up to draft a quarterback! Seriously. You just can't argue with people that are so thickheaded that they won't even vaguely think that someone else's opinion is correct. This guy has been harping the O-line every year while failing to realize the Chiefs have probably a top 10-15 O-line in recent years. This same guy couldn't even recognize a designed screen play and instead thought that the Oline got worked. Consider the source, folks.

No team in this league is winning a championship with an elite O-line. Take a look at the left tackles that have won Super Bowls in recent years. We're talking about middle of the road guys. And yet O-line isn't overrated...Yawn.

Thankfully, I finally gave in and won't see anymore of his posts. It's just not worth reading the constant nonsense. Try talking to the guy about actual X's and O's and you'll see the lack of football IQ shine through.

Another example of Ryfo and his twin brother Pioli's "p!ss on our own heads & tell ourselves it's raining" mentality. Ryfo, you're going to go bald-headed prematurely just like Pioli, if you keep that up.

Ryfo18
04-21-2013, 07:42 PM
I didn't even bring up the nonsensical remarks about drinking "milk of magnesia", crapping diapers, sticking fingers up one's bum and eating it, and calling me a kiddie (I'm 28). Just immature and silly. It's impossible to respect someone's opinion about football when that's the best they can muster to attack someone's stance.

This site used to be filled with knowledgeable Chiefs fans, and now it's the same 4 people talking. Coach, is there a way to delete my account?

brdempsey69
04-21-2013, 07:54 PM
I didn't even bring up the nonsensical remarks about drinking "milk of magnesia", crapping diapers, sticking fingers up one's bum and eating it, and calling me a kiddie (I'm 28). Just immature and silly. It's impossible to respect someone's opinion about football when that's the best they can muster to attack someone's stance.

This site used to be filled with knowledgeable Chiefs fans, and now it's the same 4 people talking. Is there a way to delete my account?

If Ryfo were being honest about the points he's trying to make, instead of the "p!ss on our own heads & tell ourselves it's raining" approach that is completely contrary to the evidence that has manifested itself on the football field, then that would be one thing. That's not the case.

Don't give him sympathy, give him guts. The site still has knowledgeable fans, however, his definition of knowledgeable fans means the next guy agreeing with his opinion on everything & he wants to put the blame on others instead of his lack of ability to discern when an opinion is being given & when somebody is telling it like it is.

brdempsey69
04-21-2013, 08:01 PM
They were good until they had injuries. Then that o line was HORRIBLE again they went 2 games giving up 10 sacks. 10 that's NOT a good O line that's why we need O Line help. Joeckel would be O line help. He's near the top if not at the top of a lot of draft boards. That's why we would take him. We need help in the o line he's there he's in an area that we need help in. Do we need help in other areas YES we do. But you don't REACH for a guy when there's a guy in a area you need help in that's much higher on the board.

Matt, they did have a MAJOR problem in Buffalo, prior to the injuries. But, you are correct, that the injuries did hurt them as the season progressed. And all the other points you made are 100% valid and are gospel truth -- not anyone's opinion.

jap1
04-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Sorry to break up the argument, put apparently Albert is demanding more money than the Dolphins are willing to pay (8-9 million, which is what Miami DIDN'T pay Jake Long). This is the scenario that I thought would happen. Unfortunately, we will probably keep Albert for another year.

So, what are our options?

The ideal would be to trade out of the #1 pick. Ideally, the Jets really want G. smith and would give us their 2 #1s to get him. Not really likely, but it would be ideal. If that happened, I would take Star and either Fluker (to play RT), Eifert, Vaccaro, ogletree or one of the WRs. Any of those I would be fine with, or even trading down further with one of the picks to get a couple seconds this year and next.

Thats not really likely, so hopefully maybe someoneelse in the top 10 really likes Joeckel, Smith and wants to trade with us. Then we take the BPA. Hopefully one of the tackles is still there, if not, maybe trade down further and stock up on mid round picks and picks next year.

If that doesn't work out, my last option would be to pick up one of the tackles and put him on the R side for a year. I dont see anyone worth the number one pick at a position of need for us. I don't think G. smith is going to be good in this league. We don't need an OLB like Dion Jordan, and I think DT is a need, but more for depth need than starters.

I kinda hope if we draft Joeckel and keep Albert, we tell him he is going to play RT. If he is serious about sitting out, prove it. If he does, we don't have to pay him and we have more cap space next year.

At least we will probably get a 4th round compensatory pick if he walks in free agency.

matthewschiefs
04-21-2013, 08:06 PM

This site used to be filled with knowledgeable Chiefs fans, and now it's the same 4 people talking. Coach, is there a way to delete my account?

First if you're leaving the site I for one will miss having you around I do think you're very smart about football but I think you have just become so fixated on the QB spot and that is clouding your judgement a little. You might turn out to be right about it. That know one can deny but this drafting a LT could work out you can't deny that. The only problem I have had through this is ANYONE else not named Geno that has been brought up on this board you and My man have been on telling us how stupid it is and how we need a qb and have gone on and on about Geno (although my man is more guilty of this then you) I just think you need to be a little more open and give this new GM and coach a chance maybe they know what they're doing. Maybe just maybe things will work out

matthewschiefs
04-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Matt, they did have a MAJOR problem in Buffalo, prior to the injuries. But, you are correct, that the injuries did hurt them as the season progressed. And all the other points you made are 100% valid and are gospel truth -- not anyone's opinion.

Well I think every O line mostly has problems here or there throughout the season. I didn't consider them REALLY bad until the injuries started to pile up. I don't think they were great befoe then. But I think they were a O line a team could live with. But given the injuries showed the lack of depth I think adding O line help is a MUST for this team right now. We have more needs some IMO bigger needs But I think we have addressed many of those needs and now adding O line help wouldn't be such a bad thing.

And I just would like to say If I were in charge O line wouldn't be my choice in the draft. I have said this many times I would go with Jarvis Jones out of UGA. The guy was a beast last season. But there might be a reason I'm not a gm. LOL

brdempsey69
04-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Sorry to break up the argument, put apparently Albert is demanding more money than the Dolphins are willing to pay (8-9 million, which is what Miami DIDN'T pay Jake Long). This is the scenario that I thought would happen. Unfortunately, we will probably keep Albert for another year.

The ideal would be to trade out of the #1 pick. Ideally, the Jets really want G. smith and would give us their 2 #1s to get him. Not really likely, but it would be ideal. If that happened, I would take Star and either Fluker (to play RT), Eifert, Vaccaro, ogletree or one of the WRs. Any of those I would be fine with, or even trading down further with one of the picks to get a couple seconds this year and next.

Thats not really likely, so hopefully maybe someoneelse in the top 10 really likes Joeckel, Smith and wants to trade with us. Then we take the BPA. Hopefully one of the tackles is still there, if not, maybe trade down further and stock up on mid round picks and picks next year.

If that doesn't work out, my last option would be to pick up one of the tackles and put him on the R side for a year. I dont see anyone worth the number one pick at a position of need for us. I don't think G. smith is going to be good in this league. We don't need an OLB like Dion Jordan, and I think DT is a need, but more for depth need than starters.

I kinda hope if we draft Joeckel and keep Albert, we tell him he is going to play RT. If he is serious about sitting out, prove it. If he does, we don't have to pay him and we have more cap space next year.

At least we will probably get a 4th round compensatory pick if he walks in free agency.

Do you have a link to the Albert situation? Not that I disbelieve you, in fact I do believe you. They may decide on Eric Fisher, as he has played RT before and said he'd play that for KC.

Albert is not getting 8-9 mill from any of the other 31 teams. He and his agent have been indulging in way too much contraband substance, if they believe that he's a top 5 LT.

matthewschiefs
04-21-2013, 08:18 PM

The link to the ALbert wanting to much for Miami http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/21/branden-albert-trade-wont-happen-unless-he-lowers-his-price/

I don't think he's going to be around after next season in KC at least. I think this relationship is really souring

jap1
04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
The link to the ALbert wanting to much for Miami http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/21/branden-albert-trade-wont-happen-unless-he-lowers-his-price/

I don't think he's going to be around after next season in KC at least. I think this relationship is really souring

Thanks, I forgot to put it and in by the time I remembered, I couldn't edit it.

brdempsey69
04-22-2013, 01:20 AM
Guy tries to tell me that O-line is not overrated and then uses the Seahawks/Redskins/49ers as examples.

And I've also used the Chiefs an example several times to illustrate that they AREN'T overrated & everybody and their brother has seen the evidence of that manifest itself on the football field time and again. Many Chiefs fans, unlike Ryfo, are willing to acknowledge that, as evidenced by a poll taken at kcchiefs.com regarding the BPA available in the 2013 draft. 55% of over 1700 votes went to Luke Joeckel.

The Seahawks and Redskins were garbage until they drafted good QBs.

Irrelevant to the Chiefs drafting a QB. ZERO for 17 since 1970. Case closed.

49ers were garbage until they had the 2nd best scoring defense in the league. Oh, and they traded up to draft a quarterback!

It was the Niners COACHING that made them garbage. The talent was there, including Alex Smith. they traded up to draft CK, because they had nobody behind Smith.

Seriously. You just can't argue with people that are so thickheaded that they won't even vaguely think that someone else's opinion is correct.

Quite simply, because the evidence that has manifested itself on the football field has proven that Ryfo's opinion is incorrect & worthless. And when people reject his "urinate on their heads and tell them it's raining" type of mentality, they aren't being thickheaded, they are being wise.

This guy has been harping the O-line every year while failing to realize the Chiefs have probably a top 10-15 O-line in recent years.

I'm not the only one wanting O-Line wanting every year, because those in the know are quite aware that the Chiefs DON'T have a top 10-15 O-Line, but they know that Jamaal Charles is an elite runner who's made them look better than what they really are for years since 2009.

This same guy couldn't even recognize a designed screen play and instead thought that the Oline got worked.

The play got smothered because the blocking wasn't there. Simple, really. And it WAS a checkdown, not a designed screen.

Consider the source, folks

Got that right. Consider the source still wanting Geno Smith drafted #1 overall, and throwing Alex Smith under the bus before he's ever taken a single snap in KC.

NO won in 2009 with a very elite O-Line. Packers O-Line stepped up in the 2010 post-season with LT Chad Clifton & 1st rounder Bryan Bulaga leading the way . Bryant McKinnie was the #7 overall pick in 2002 and stepped up in the 2012 post season playing LT & allowing Michael Oher to play his more natural RT. Try telling Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Joe Flacco that O-Line is overrated.

Thankfully, I finally gave in and won't see anymore of his posts.

White flag surrender & the general route that individuals take when the truth hurts too much.

It's just not worth reading the constant nonsense.

The nonsense is all coming from Ryfo's end & others have acknowledged that.

Try talking to the guy about actual X's and O's and you'll see the lack of football IQ shine through.

Since when did the Chiefs start sending Ryfo their playbook? Or any of us for that matter? Anyone can scratch X's and O's in the dirt with a stick.

slc chief
04-22-2013, 08:15 PM
looks as is arizona might get involved

Run on tackles could cause Cardinals to consider Branden Albert Posted by Michael David Smith on April 22, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/brandenalbert-e1363967911391.jpg?w=212 APThe Arizona Cardinals could use a left tackle, and they have the No. 7 overall pick in a strong draft for left tackles. But with talk increasing that all three of the top tackle prospects will be gone within the first six picks, the Cardinals may need to look elsewhere.
That may be why Mike Jurecki ‏of XTRA 910 in Phoenix is hearing that the Cardinals have discussed (https://twitter.com/mikejurecki/status/326463657322115072) a trade with the Chiefs for left tackle Branden Albert (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4805/branden-albert). The Chiefs are reportedly willing to accept a second-round pick as compensation for Albert, who has been their starting left tackle for the last five years.
The problem, however, is that Albert reportedly wants between $8 million and $9 million a year on a long-term contract. That appears to be the holdup on a trade with the Dolphins that had previously been discussed. The Cardinals would have to be willing to make a significant financial investment if they’re going to trade for Albert. And that’s why Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic is hearing that Albert is too expensive (https://twitter.com/kentsomers/status/326472196811800576) for the Cardinals’ tastes.
But if Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8391/luke-joeckel), Central Michigan left tackle Eric Fisher (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8392/eric-fisher) and Oklahoma left tackle Lane Johnson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8393/lane-johnson) are all off the board before the Cardinals make their pick, then Arizona may decide that the best option is to address another position in the first round and use their second-round pick to get Albert.

MyManHali
04-22-2013, 10:27 PM
You're right they did think they would be good. But your comparison to there situation and ours is just apples to oranges they didn't have the overall number 1 pick. And every team takes a player because they think he's going to be good. Not one GM in the history of the NFL in the 1st round has said you know I think this guys going to be a bust so I'm going to take him. You are acting like they knew that he was going to be a superbowl MVP when they drafted him they didn't you're giving them the benifit of after the fact. NO team knows whats going to happen when they draft a player.

They had a winning record when he threw the ball at least 30 times. That's not bad. And how do you know he can't command an offense are you in the huddle with him? Alex Smith has been pretty good the last couple of years. He had his team on the brink of the superbowl in 2011 he's not the one who muffed the punts. They didn't lose the NFC title game because he "couldn't command the offense" they lost that NFC title game because of the muffed punts. He has shown he can get a team far. He COULD do that in KC. Why just assume that he can't? Other then he's not who you want.

Smith can't anchor an offense, the guy has never even thrown for 3200 yards in a single season. When you break that down it's 200 yards a game. Absolutely pathetic.

brdempsey69
04-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Smith can't anchor an offense, the guy has never even thrown for 3200 yards in a single season. When you break that down it's 200 yards a game. Absolutely pathetic.

Trent Green never threw for 3500 yards prior to coming to KC, then proceeded to do it 5 years in a row from 2001-2005.

Point is, what Alex Smith did in SF is irrelevant, it's what he does in KC that counts now & nobody knows for certain what's going to happen.

MyManHali
04-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Trent Green never threw for 3500 yards prior to coming to KC, then proceeded to do it 5 years in a row from 2001-2005.

Point is, what Alex Smith did in SF is irrelevant, it's what he does in KC that counts now & nobody knows for certain what's going to happen.

Although what you said is true, for the most part our past is the prediction of the future. His past indicates he is a game manager. A game manager won't lead us anywhere. He had ONE 300 yard passing game in 1.5 seasons under harbaugh.

The Trent Green comparison is another story, it's also a different NFL.

brdempsey69
04-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Although what you said is true, for the most part our past is the prediction of the future. His past indicates he is a game manager. A game manager won't lead us anywhere. He had ONE 300 yard passing game in 1.5 seasons under harbaugh.

CK only had one (1) 300 yd passing game in the SB and they lost. Harbaugh's offense isn't the same as Andy Reid's. Smith was NOT a game manager in the 49ers playoff win in 2011. He carried that team when their Defense got tore up.

The Trent Green comparison is another story, it's also a different NFL.

How is it a different NFL? The game hasn't changed at all in the last 15 years. WTF are you talking about?

matthewschiefs
04-22-2013, 11:48 PM

Again you speak like your opinion is fact.

And with our running game do we need much more the 200 yards passing every week?

But like its been said what he has done before doesn't really matter good or bad HE HAS NEVER PLAYED FOR ANDY REID that's a FACT. Stop acting like you know what Reid is going to do with him. Unless your in contact with Reid. I would need some proof of that then I'll take you seriously.

MyManHali
04-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Again you speak like your opinion is fact.

And with our running game do we need much more the 200 yards passing every week?

But like its been said what he has done before doesn't really matter good or bad HE HAS NEVER PLAYED FOR ANDY REID that's a FACT. Stop acting like you know what Reid is going to do with him. Unless your in contact with Reid. I would need some proof of that then I'll take you seriously.

He has NEVER thrown for 3200 yards. Why would I believe that he can lead an offense? When a qb goes out and throws for 185 yards a game who does that remind you of? I know you know this.

Yes we need a quarterback who can throw for more yards and lead the offense, we had a running game with the last regime with a conservative quarterback and look how that turned out.

Eydugstr
04-23-2013, 08:07 AM

Agreed. Andy Reid has proven himself to be a night and day different coach from Mike Singletary or Romeo Crennel, especially when it comes to dealing with QB's, let alone offense as a whole.

matthewschiefs
04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
MyManHali;280370]He has NEVER thrown for 3200 yards. Why would I believe that he can lead an offense? When a qb goes out and throws for 185 yards a game who does that remind you of? I know you know this.

Yes we need a quarterback who can throw for more yards and lead the offense, we had a running game with the last regime with a conservative quarterback and look how that turned out.

Yet again I say that Alex Smith has NEVER played for Andy Reid. NEVER. How do you know what Reid is going to do with him? Are you in contact with Reid? Show me proof that you are and I'll jump on board with you.

Other Questions I have asked in this thread that you have yet to answer
1. Is giving up 10 sacks in 2 games good? Or would you say O line help is needed?

2. Why do you hold having talent around him against the QBs you don't like but not against Geno?Did Geno not have one of the best WRs in this draft?

3. Can you tell me that Albert is going to come back 100% With his back issues he had last year? If so how are you his doctor?

4. Can you tell me that Jocekel is not better then Albert? If so how?

5. Can you tell me that Albert will sign long term?

Once you answer these questions with answers other then just your opinion I will jump on board with this being a "latral move"

brdempsey69
04-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Agreed. Andy Reid has proven himself to be a night and day different coach from Mike Singletary or Romeo Crennel, especially when it comes to dealing with QB's, let alone offense as a whole.

I'll admit that when I first heard of the deal for Alex Smith, I wasn't sure what to make of it. After thinking it through, I came to the realization of Andy Reid's track record with QB's & considered the possibility that maybe Reid's Offense would maybe get more out of Smith, than those Offensive systems in SF did. In SF, it was a lot like Marty-ball.

Of course, I had seen Smith, up close and personal on Sept. 26, 2010 and it wasn't his fault that the Niners lost to the Chiefs 31-10 in that game. His O-Line played awful, the play-calling stunk, their Defense was awful, but in spite of a hopeless situation, Smith never quit & he did not turn the ball over repeatedly. There was one pick by Flowers of a tipped pass & that was the only turnover.

Eydugstr
04-23-2013, 08:53 PM
I'll admit that when I first heard of the deal for Alex Smith, I wasn't sure what to make of it. After thinking it through, I came to the realization of Andy Reid's track record with QB's & considered the possibility that maybe Reid's Offense would maybe get more out of Smith, than those Offensive systems in SF did. In SF, it was a lot like Marty-ball.

Of course, I had seen Smith, up close and personal on Sept. 26, 2010 and it wasn't his fault that the Niners lost to the Chiefs 31-10 in that game. His O-Line played awful, the play-calling stunk, their Defense was awful, but in spite of a hopeless situation, Smith never quit & he did not turn the ball over repeatedly. There was one pick by Flowers of a tipped pass & that was the only turnover.

Actually...it was Martyball...kinda sorta...Jimmy Raye (That name ring any bells, chiefs fans?)was the offensive cooridinator in SF when Smith came onboard. Don't remember a thing about his offenses, outside of the fact he took running back by committee to new extremes.

You're not alone. I'm still not 100% on Alex Smith, mainly because of what we gave up for him. That's also why I say if the trade goes through with Albert, and we get a 2nd round pick, go ahead and draft another QB to develop (Hey there's a shot Geno or Tyler Wilson will be available in the 2nd round.). What could it hurt? It would be like getting three birds with one stone (LT with long term potential, a free agent QB that was sought after by the new head coach, and a QB worth developing).

brdempsey69
04-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Actually...it was Martyball...kinda sorta...Jimmy Raye (That name ring any bells, chiefs fans?)was the offensive cooridinator in SF when Smith came onboard. Don't remember a thing about his offenses, outside of the fact he took running back by committee to new extremes.

You're not alone. I'm still not 100% on Alex Smith, mainly because of what we gave up for him. That's also why I say if the trade goes through with Albert, and we get a 2nd round pick, go ahead and draft another QB to develop (Hey there's a shot Geno or Tyler Wilson will be available in the 2nd round.). What could it hurt? It would be like getting three birds with one stone (LT with long term potential, a free agent QB that was sought after by the new head coach, and a QB worth developing).

It wouldn't hurt anything and with 9 draft picks, I would love for them to double-dip at the QB position and use the other 7 picks to bolster other areas. The reason I say double-dip at the QB position is because the Chiefs are ZERO for 17 drafting QB's since 1970, but never before have they double-dipped at the QB position, so in doing that, just maybe they'll finally hit on a QB choice.

Although, I don't believe they'll double-dip at the QB position in the upcoming draft, by the same token, I'm not sold on Chase Daniel, Ricky Stanzi, or Alex Tanney being future starters or long-term solutions.

matthewschiefs
04-23-2013, 11:02 PM
First thing To settle this LT being a bad pick when there's no QB there worth being the number 1 pick. I give you the 1997 NFL draft. The St.Louis Rams with the first pick of the draft took OT Orlando Pace. The first QB taken in that draft was Jim Druckenmiller Pace went on to become a 7time pro bowler 5 time All pro and the Rams won the superbowl a couple of years later. I'm sure the Rams wish they took Druckenmiller right? If LT is the way we go it could work out for us just like it did for the Rams. Note I said COULD.

The QB i Really hope is there if we can somehow either get back into the 1st or 2nd round to get is Ryan Nassib I don't think it would happen But I wouldn't mind grabbing him at all.

Justin5772002
04-24-2013, 03:25 AM
[QUOTE=MyManHali;280278]You didn't understand what I was saying.

If Baltimore had the #1 pick in 2008, they would have definitely passed on Flacco. If they wanted a QB they would have taken Matt Ryan. You cant honestly think that Baltimore would have taken Flacco #1 that year when in the actual draft 17 other teams passed on him.

We gave up a second round pick for a known commodity rather than spend the top pick in the draft on a unknown commodity in Geno. He may turn out to be a stud, but if he isnt even considered an elite QB for this weak of a QB draft class, then we cant be taking that risk. Just b/c we havent "taken the risk" of drafting a QB high in the draft, doesnt mean we need to take that risk just to say we have done it. Drafting is all about calculating the risk-reward and teams dont just draft players or positions just to say "ok we have now drafted a QB in the first round"

Dude, just because we aren't using our first rounder on Geno doesn't mean we won't get one later in rounds. The chiefs brass believe they can find a QB in later rounds its not like we aren't taking risks we are, just not on Geno Smith. Get over this crap cause chase Daniels is also a risk were taking and just because Alex Smith is the starter doesn't mean he's cannot be replaced if we are not winning football games

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 04:14 AM
Yet again I say that Alex Smith has NEVER played for Andy Reid. NEVER. How do you know what Reid is going to do with him? Are you in contact with Reid? Show me proof that you are and I'll jump on board with you.

Other Questions I have asked in this thread that you have yet to answer
1. Is giving up 10 sacks in 2 games good? Or would you say O line help is needed?

2. Why do you hold having talent around him against the QBs you don't like but not against Geno?Did Geno not have one of the best WRs in this draft?

3. Can you tell me that Albert is going to come back 100% With his back issues he had last year? If so how are you his doctor?

4. Can you tell me that Jocekel is not better then Albert? If so how?

5. Can you tell me that Albert will sign long term?

Once you answer these questions with answers other then just your opinion I will jump on board with this being a "latral move"

Alex Smith should throw more under Reid, that is why I think this is a bad fit.

1. LT position is fine, it's the rest of the line I am worried about.

2. Geno had talent and so did Smith, I am not sure where you are going with this. It's like comparing apples to oranges since one plays in the NFL and the other does not. They both had talent but the difference is Geno was the anchor to his offense, Alex smith was a game manager.

3. If the dolphins are going to pay him a **** load of money and trade for him his health shouldn't be an issue.

4. I dont know who is better, but it doesn't matter since we don't need a left tackle. We have about 20 other different needs on this team. At best it's a slight upgrade.

5. Honestly, I would keep him for a year and then go tackle in next year's draft if he wanted the same amount.

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 04:17 AM
First thing To settle this LT being a bad pick when there's no QB there worth being the number 1 pick. I give you the 1997 NFL draft. The St.Louis Rams with the first pick of the draft took OT Orlando Pace. The first QB taken in that draft was Jim Druckenmiller Pace went on to become a 7time pro bowler 5 time All pro and the Rams won the superbowl a couple of years later. I'm sure the Rams wish they took Druckenmiller right? If LT is the way we go it could work out for us just like it did for the Rams. Note I said COULD.

The QB i Really hope is there if we can somehow either get back into the 1st or 2nd round to get is Ryan Nassib I don't think it would happen But I wouldn't mind grabbing him at all.

So you're holding out hope that we have a backup that is the equivalent to Kurt Warner?

Seek
04-24-2013, 08:23 AM

2. Geno had talent and so did Smith, I am not sure where you are going with this. It's like comparing apples to oranges since one plays in the NFL and the other does not. They both had talent but the difference is Geno was the anchor to his offense, Alex smith was a game manager.

3. If the dolphins are going to pay him a **** load of money and trade for him his health shouldn't be an issue.

4. I dont know who is better, but it doesn't matter since we don't need a left tackle. We have about 20 other different needs on this team. At best it's a slight upgrade.

5. Honestly, I would keep him for a year and then go tackle in next year's draft if he wanted the same amount.

1. I agree with you here. We are fine at LT. However, Albert is unrealistic in his demands meaning he has not future here unless he changes his expectations.

2. Yes it is comparing Apple to oranges. The huge difference is that one has been sold at the market. The other is a new product that has yet been test but put on the market. There is no way anyone can for a fact say Geno is better or worse than Alex. They can only say I don't think it is worth the risk given certain tangibles the scouts see in them.

3. The Dolphins have not given Albert and Physical, They have not offered Albert a boat load of money but have been given permission to talk money. The Chiefs have basically agreed to compensation for Albert but have not agreed to trade him yet. It is possible that after a second evaluation, realizes he is asking to much and may come down on his contrat numbers. They may agree to terms, but would be very shocking seeing how he is looking for Long's contract that Miami already passed on and Long is a better LT.

4. We do need a LT. Maybe not a starter, but we have no back up after Albert. We may very well need a starter. As stated above, Albert is asking to much to consider him for the futre of this team unless he comes down from his demands. What if trading Albert allows us to tie up a younger possibly worse, or possibly better LT for at least 5 years, and then draft a another position among 20 positions that I think is a bit much seeing all the depth we signed this year. What if we ended up getting a start Guard or Center with the compensation for Albert. Our average offensive line just better and younger and will be around for a couple of years together. What if we trade Albert and there sitting at 2nd round pick is one of the Qb's that could be the next star.

5. What if next year there are no tackles available when we pick and we lose Albert to Free agency. What if a player like Aaron Murray is sitting there for us next year instead of tackle.

Right now we don't need a QB. Why waste our first on a position that will clearly sit on the bench for at least a year or two when there are 20 other postions needing to be filled.

pojote
04-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Some people don't realize that any pick can be a complete bust, changing a mediocre vet for a rookie is always a bet, can work but isn't even close to be a sure thing.
Saying "I've seen draftee X made more than vet Y ever done" is completely stupid, you can't know for sure. Vet Y is playing in NFL level, little difference.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 10:48 AM

So one of the many things you bashed Smith on was that he "didn't throw much" now your saying that it's bad he's going to throw more?

Jockel has said he will play RT. So until the reported and talked about trade of Albert would happen then he COULD play RT There is know sure thing that the trade of Albert is going to happen.

This is what you do. You give the guy you like all the credit no blame you give the guy you don't like all the blame no credit. Was Alex Smith helped by the talent around him YEP. Was Geno Smith also helped by talent around him YEP. Geno Smith was outshined at his pro day by one of the players around him there. So if you're going to bash Alex Smith for having talent around him then let me here you Bash Geno Smith for the same thing. You won't.

Shouldn't be an issue doesn't say it won't be an issue. You can't tell me it won't unless again as I said you're his doctor.

We don't need a LT at this moment but since we can't say that we would be able to get a long term deal done with Albert we could very well need one very soon. And I say again the Packers "didn't need" a QB when they took Aaron Rodgers how stupid were they?

How do you know there would be a LT as good as what there is this year in the draft. What if next years LT is this years QB class a weak year for it? It's not that simple

So you're holding out hope that we have a backup that is the equivalent to Kurt Warner?

I'm hoping that we have a QB on this roster that can get the job done. There's a reason to think that Alex Smith COULD do that. He's not been horrible in the NFL hes been really good the last couple of years. There's nothing to say that he's just going to be horrible.

OH and the Rams didn't draft a QB and took a tackle with the 1st pick in the draft. I'm sure there fanbase hates that superbowl they won. I'm sure they hate that superbowl they won.Since they didn't draft a QB. Right?

texaschief
04-24-2013, 12:26 PM
How screwed with this team be at LT if we drafted Geno and he turned out to be amazing, we make a deep playoff run, and then we draft I'm the upper
20's next April? Even if there's an elite LT to be had next April, according to some, if we take Geno, we won't be I'm position to take him anyway. There aren't too many elite LTs taken in the 2nd round. Albert walks and the Chiefs are royally screwed at the 2nd most important position on the field. There's no part of the pro Geno argument that makes any sense. .. which is why you don't hear anyone really considering the guy in the top 5 let alone#1 overall. There's nothing that can be said that would someone absolutely believe that Geno represents so much more upside than Alex Smith that it would justify taking him#1 overall instead of trading for Alex and then taking the best player in the draft.

for Alex.

doobs_05
04-24-2013, 12:55 PM
...so they couldn't just trade down for a LT or trade for one or sign one in free agency the following years? And did you say a deep playoff run?!?! People would love that

texaschief
04-24-2013, 01:05 PM
...so they couldn't just trade down for a LT or trade for one or sign one in free agency the following years? And did you say a deep playoff run?!?! People would love that

If you're going to sign one of the top FA LT's next year, why not just give Albert the money THIS year? That scenario makes no sense. Do you have any idea what it would take for a team slotted in the 25-32 range to try and trade up into the top 10 to take one of the elite LT prospect in this year's draft? They'd have to trade their entire draft and probably part of next year's draft just to make the points come close. You're not going to be able to get an elite LT next season if the Chiefs make a deep run.

doobs_05
04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ARmSOqMK-rQ/TVe8FH9z5QI/AAAAAAAAAVg/cBPAtj9_QII/s1600/tumblr_lggo48hAqT1qcl3bdo1_500.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=never+say+never+gif&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=QRV27zFU7P7rUM&tbnid=W_Y6rFOk7BPf7M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupergscrap.blogspot.com%2F2011_0 2_01_archive.html&ei=OxJ4UcPSOI7uqAGu6ICgCA&bvm=bv.45580626,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNGwJ6PC3QtXd6kOoIZ6sqZXy1a9Ug&ust=1366909862061667)

Also are you saying we lose brandon some how in your scenario?

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 03:20 PM
1. I agree with you here. We are fine at LT. However, Albert is unrealistic in his demands meaning he has not future here unless he changes his expectations.

2. Yes it is comparing Apple to oranges. The huge difference is that one has been sold at the market. The other is a new product that has yet been test but put on the market. There is no way anyone can for a fact say Geno is better or worse than Alex. They can only say I don't think it is worth the risk given certain tangibles the scouts see in them.

3. The Dolphins have not given Albert and Physical, They have not offered Albert a boat load of money but have been given permission to talk money. The Chiefs have basically agreed to compensation for Albert but have not agreed to trade him yet. It is possible that after a second evaluation, realizes he is asking to much and may come down on his contrat numbers. They may agree to terms, but would be very shocking seeing how he is looking for Long's contract that Miami already passed on and Long is a better LT.

4. We do need a LT. Maybe not a starter, but we have no back up after Albert. We may very well need a starter. As stated above, Albert is asking to much to consider him for the futre of this team unless he comes down from his demands. What if trading Albert allows us to tie up a younger possibly worse, or possibly better LT for at least 5 years, and then draft a another position among 20 positions that I think is a bit much seeing all the depth we signed this year. What if we ended up getting a start Guard or Center with the compensation for Albert. Our average offensive line just better and younger and will be around for a couple of years together. What if we trade Albert and there sitting at 2nd round pick is one of the Qb's that could be the next star.

5. What if next year there are no tackles available when we pick and we lose Albert to Free agency. What if a player like Aaron Murray is sitting there for us next year instead of tackle.

Right now we don't need a QB. Why waste our first on a position that will clearly sit on the bench for at least a year or two when there are 20 other postions needing to be filled.

The first question you say we are fine at LT and then in the 4th you say we need a LT. Are you talking about depth? I think Stephenson has shown he can be reliable in a back up position.

We do need a qb. Alex Smith is the perfect veteran to back up a franchise qb similar to what he was doing in SF.

To your qb point why do we need a LT when we have 20 other positions that need to be filled?

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 03:25 PM
How screwed with this team be at LT if we drafted Geno and he turned out to be amazing, we make a deep playoff run, and then we draft I'm the upper
20's next April? Even if there's an elite LT to be had next April, according to some, if we take Geno, we won't be I'm position to take him anyway. There aren't too many elite LTs taken in the 2nd round. Albert walks and the Chiefs are royally screwed at the 2nd most important position on the field. There's no part of the pro Geno argument that makes any sense. .. which is why you don't hear anyone really considering the guy in the top 5 let alone#1 overall. There's nothing that can be said that would someone absolutely believe that Geno represents so much more upside than Alex Smith that it would justify taking him#1 overall instead of trading for Alex and then taking the best player in the draft.

for Alex.

Honestly, why wouldn't you want that situation? A stud qb who leads us deep into the playoffs? I would love to draft in the upper 20's next year. If that were to happen then give Albert the deal he wants.

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 03:28 PM
So one of the many things you bashed Smith on was that he "didn't throw much" now your saying that it's bad he's going to throw more?

Jockel has said he will play RT. So until the reported and talked about trade of Albert would happen then he COULD play RT There is know sure thing that the trade of Albert is going to happen.

This is what you do. You give the guy you like all the credit no blame you give the guy you don't like all the blame no credit. Was Alex Smith helped by the talent around him YEP. Was Geno Smith also helped by talent around him YEP. Geno Smith was outshined at his pro day by one of the players around him there. So if you're going to bash Alex Smith for having talent around him then let me here you Bash Geno Smith for the same thing. You won't.

Shouldn't be an issue doesn't say it won't be an issue. You can't tell me it won't unless again as I said you're his doctor.

We don't need a LT at this moment but since we can't say that we would be able to get a long term deal done with Albert we could very well need one very soon. And I say again the Packers "didn't need" a QB when they took Aaron Rodgers how stupid were they?

How do you know there would be a LT as good as what there is this year in the draft. What if next years LT is this years QB class a weak year for it? It's not that simple

I'm hoping that we have a QB on this roster that can get the job done. There's a reason to think that Alex Smith COULD do that. He's not been horrible in the NFL hes been really good the last couple of years. There's nothing to say that he's just going to be horrible.

OH and the Rams didn't draft a QB and took a tackle with the 1st pick in the draft. I'm sure there fanbase hates that superbowl they won. I'm sure they hate that superbowl they won.Since they didn't draft a QB. Right?

If we have a backup that's equivalent to Kurt warner who can step in win a super bowl and become a hall of famer then I am on board with drafting a LT.

The problem with that is the odds are 100000000000000 to 1.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 04:23 PM
If we have a backup that's equivalent to Kurt warner who can step in win a super bowl and become a hall of famer then I am on board with drafting a LT.

The problem with that is the odds are 100000000000000 to 1.

Or maybe we have a starter who can step up and win a superbowl now. You don't know that we don't anymore then I know we do. That's a fact. You again state your opinion on Alex Smith as fact. But a FACT that you have never been able to answer is that Alex Smith has NEVER played for Andy Reid. Andy Reid has NEVER ran an offense with Alex Smith. You don't know what's going to happen with him. Stop acting like you do.

If we don't get help with our O line That "elite QB" you go on and on about won't make it through the season. Again this is a fact 10 sacks in 2 games given up. If that keeps up that would be 80 sacks in a season. And that's just sacks that's not counting all the other hits a QB would take. Do you think many Qbs are going to get up from that many hits every time. Like it or not this team needs O line help. We have made a move to help the QB spot. No matter how much you dislike it we have. We have made moves to help our other huge need CB. Now helping the O line wouldn't be a bad move. But go on whineing that they didn't chose the QB you wanted.:sign0023:

Eydugstr
04-24-2013, 04:32 PM
It wouldn't hurt anything and with 9 draft picks, I would love for them to double-dip at the QB position and use the other 7 picks to bolster other areas. The reason I say double-dip at the QB position is because the Chiefs are ZERO for 17 drafting QB's since 1970, but never before have they double-dipped at the QB position, so in doing that, just maybe they'll finally hit on a QB choice.

Although, I don't believe they'll double-dip at the QB position in the upcoming draft, by the same token, I'm not sold on Chase Daniel, Ricky Stanzi, or Alex Tanney being future starters or long-term solutions.

THIS...Right now I do think it's the elephant in the living room. I'd bet that Albert or Albert's agent knows this, too.

ItAintEasyBeingaChiefsFan
04-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Could this year be the biggest blunder regime in the history of football?

I just can't fathom what in the world is going on inside the minds of the new regime of the Kansas City Chiefs. Here's the part I don't get. How can this franchise let Albert go after picking up Smith?

A.Smith:
So we give up the #33 pick (2013), 3rd round in (2014) conditionally a 2nd rounder.
B. Albert:
Then we decide it's a good idea to trade B. Albert for the 42nd (Maybe even the 54th) pick so with the #1 overall pick we can replace Albert? Is Joeckel better than Albert? Albert did give us 71 starts in 5 years.

We really aren't getting any better at LT and we are giving up our #1, moving down 11-22 spots in round 2, and giving up a 3rd/2nd rounder in 2014 all for A. Smith.

Doesn't it make more sense to sign Albert and draft Fisher solidifying that KC has hands down, the BEST O_LINE in the league?

04-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Sorry for the rant in my first post ever, but being from Oregon I need some Chiefs fans to talk to. My head is ready to assplode!

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 04:42 PM

I just can't fathom what in the world is going on inside the minds of the new regime of the Kansas City Chiefs. Here's the part I don't get. How can this franchise let Albert go after picking up Smith?

A.Smith:
So we give up the #33 pick (2013), 3rd round in (2014) conditionally a 2nd rounder.
B. Albert:
Then we decide it's a good idea to trade B. Albert for the 42nd (Maybe even the 54th) pick so with the #1 overall pick we can replace Albert? Is Joeckel better than Albert? Albert did give us 71 starts in 5 years.

We really aren't getting any better at LT and we are giving up our #1, moving down 11-22 spots in round 2, and giving up a 3rd/2nd rounder in 2014 all for A. Smith.

Doesn't it make more sense to sign Albert and draft Fisher solidifying that KC has hands down, the BEST O_LINE in the league?

On paper it would be great to keep Albert draft Fisher but the problem is Albert seems to have very high contract demands. Demands that even the Dolphins who seem greatly intrested in Albert are not 100% sold on giving him. That and The problems Albert had with his back last season can't be completly ignored either. Also add in the fact that Jockel has said he would be willing to play RT just because we would draft him doesn't mean we would trade Albert just like that. There's a lot more going into it then what's just on paper it seems like the relationship between Albert and the Chiefs has soured in the past few weeks

Oh and welcome

04-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Ty for the welcome first and foremost!
As for Albert I mean the guy just wants to get paid doesn't he. Does he really want out of KC or does he want money? I feel like its way more about money than a soured relationship. As for the CAP can't we restructure a couple deals and cut a few guys like, T. Moeaki, R Stanzi, B Mattison, K. Lewis and a few others to free up about $6,000,000

It just seems like we are flushing our #1, #33, and 3rd/2rd rounders down the toilet for a guy who many feel was overcompensated for in A. Smith.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Ty for the welcome first and foremost!
As for Albert I mean the guy just wants to get paid doesn't he. Does he really want out of KC or does he want money? I feel like its way more about money than a soured relationship. As for the CAP can't we restructure a couple deals and cut a few guys like, T. Moeaki, R Stanzi, B Mattison, K. Lewis and a few others to free up about $6,000,000

It just seems like we are flushing our #1, #33, and 3rd/2rd rounders down the toilet for a guy who many feel was overcompensated for in A. Smith.

Albert wants to get paid but that doesn't mean the Chiefs should just give him what he wants. This trade talk could just be a negotiating move who knows until it's done. The reasons I don't think Albert is going to be around long is

a. Albert seems to want a hight amount. It's not just 1 team that thought it was high the Dolphins also seem to think so. Sometimes a player just thinks he's worth more then what he really is. Anther thing that could be in play here is the fact like I said Albert is coming off Back problems the Chiefs might just be wanting to see him come back 100% before giving him the money he wants and Albert might not be to thrilled with this.

b. Albert was the only player the not show up at workouts. Claiming that he just wanted to be clear on his status. That tends to tell me there isn't complete trust there.

It's not the ideal situation by any means that we find ourselfs in but sometimes that just happens and you have to get as much as you can for a guy.

04-24-2013, 05:38 PM
I hear what you are saying, but after all is said and done, we were willing to lay the franchise tag on him for $9,000,000 Its obvious we think he's good enough when healthy to have him around. Is getting a 2nd rounder worth dropping the #1 pick and the chance to have a healthy Albert in 2014?

It cuts deep to see this franchise get the #1 pick after sucking all these years and piss it all away.

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Or maybe we have a starter who can step up and win a superbowl now. You don't know that we don't anymore then I know we do. That's a fact. You again state your opinion on Alex Smith as fact. But a FACT that you have never been able to answer is that Alex Smith has NEVER played for Andy Reid. Andy Reid has NEVER ran an offense with Alex Smith. You don't know what's going to happen with him. Stop acting like you do.

If we don't get help with our O line That "elite QB" you go on and on about won't make it through the season. Again this is a fact 10 sacks in 2 games given up. If that keeps up that would be 80 sacks in a season. And that's just sacks that's not counting all the other hits a QB would take. Do you think many Qbs are going to get up from that many hits every time. Like it or not this team needs O line help. We have made a move to help the QB spot. No matter how much you dislike it we have. We have made moves to help our other huge need CB. Now helping the O line wouldn't be a bad move. But go on whineing that they didn't chose the QB you wanted.:sign0023:

Alex Smith has never averaged more than 200 yards passing per game in a season and all of the sudden he is going to lead us to the super bowl.

The LT which is the position we are drafting is fine, you need to understand that. Baltimore didn't have an elite LT and they were fine.

The bottomline is this, you dont need an elite LT to be a contender but you do need a top 10 qb to contend.

They might need o line help but that doesn't include the LT position.

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 05:51 PM

A.Smith:
B. Albert:

This regime does look like a blunder so far. Signing another backup qb, statistically one of the worst corners in football (Sean Smith) and now we are going to draft a LT which we don't even need.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 05:58 PM
I hear what you are saying, but after all is said and done, we were willing to lay the franchise tag on him for $9,000,000 Its obvious we think he's good enough when healthy to have him around. Is getting a 2nd rounder worth dropping the #1 pick and the chance to have a healthy Albert in 2014?

It cuts deep to see this franchise get the #1 pick after sucking all these years and piss it all away.

Ya this whole getting the number 1 pick just seems to be at the wrong time. With the lack of any real stand out talent to all the situations dealing with Albert. Sucks I will agree.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Alex Smith has never averaged more than 200 yards passing per game in a season and all of the sudden he is going to lead us to the super bowl.

The LT which is the position we are drafting is fine, you need to understand that. Baltimore didn't have an elite LT and they were fine.

The bottomline is this, you dont need an elite LT to be a contender but you do need a top 10 qb to contend.

They might need o line help but that doesn't include the LT position.

Points you still ignore because you can't answer them

Again Andy Reid has NEVER coached Alex Smith this will be a whole new offense for Smith. Sorry but you don't know what Smith can or can't do in this new offense. That's a FACT.

2nd the Lt is fine right now but again the Albert contract status. It's just stupid to ignore that it's looking like he wants more money then we are willing to pay for him and just assume he will lower his demands. Even the dolphins don't think he's worth what he's asking. Again tell me the packers were stupid for drafting Aaron Rodgers when they "didn't need a QB"

And going back to your top 10 point Kurt Warner wasn't considered a top 10 QB before he signed with the Rams the guy was bagging groceries for crying out loud he got with the right head coach and the right team and he took off. Alex Smith is MUCH more highly though of then Warner was before going to the Rams. He COULD do the same. He might not but to pretend you know he can't is nothing more then your opinion

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 06:06 PM
This regime does look like a blunder so far. Signing another backup qb, statistically one of the worst corners in football (Sean Smith) and now we are going to draft a LT which we don't even need.

Ya it's not like they signed any other Corners or anything like say Dunta Robinson So pretty much your already declaring Dorsey a moron for no other reason then they are not doing what you want with the first pick you really need to get over it

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Points you still ignore because you can't answer them

Again Andy Reid has NEVER coached Alex Smith this will be a whole new offense for Smith. Sorry but you don't know what Smith can or can't do in this new offense. That's a FACT.

2nd the Lt is fine right now but again the Albert contract status. It's just stupid to ignore that it's looking like he wants more money then we are willing to pay for him and just assume he will lower his demands. Even the dolphins don't think he's worth what he's asking. Again tell me the packers were stupid for drafting Aaron Rodgers when they "didn't need a QB"

And going back to your top 10 point Kurt Warner wasn't considered a top 10 QB before he signed with the Rams the guy was bagging groceries for crying out loud he got with the right head coach and the right team and he took off. Alex Smith is MUCH more highly though of then Warner was before going to the Rams. He COULD do the same. He might not but to pretend you know he can't is nothing more then your opinion

I'm sure Alex Smith's 185 yards per game will get us to the super bowl.

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Ya it's not like they signed any other Corners or anything like say Dunta Robinson So pretty much your already declaring Dorsey a moron for no other reason then they are not doing what you want with the first pick you really need to get over it

Statistically Dunta Robinson and Sean Smith are 2 of the worst corners in the league.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 06:37 PM

LMAO you can't answer those facts so you just say the same thing over and over again. It's sad really

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 06:45 PM

Smith is our starting corner. Dunta Robinson should be our nickel.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-cornerbacks/

Where better to start than the raw numbers showing who gave up the most first downs? In that respect, the first walk of shame belongs to Sean Smith, who was beaten for 40 first downs and six touchdowns in 2012. Those 46 combined first downs and touchdowns were one more than Cary Williams and Patrick Robinson, both of whom had 45 as their magical number. How about that, two of the three are about to be free agents. Interesting.

And remember Miami didn't even offer him a contract to come back, I wonder why?

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Smith is our starting corner. Dunta Robinson should be our nickel.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-cornerbacks/

Where better to start than the raw numbers showing who gave up the most first downs? In that respect, the first walk of shame belongs to Sean Smith, who was beaten for 40 first downs and six touchdowns in 2012. Those 46 combined first downs and touchdowns were one more than Cary Williams and Patrick Robinson, both of whom had 45 as their magical number. How about that, two of the three are about to be free agents. Interesting.

And remember Miami didn't even offer him a contract to come back, I wonder why?

Now that's a much better post it actually has a response other then the same thing over and over again GOOD JOB post like this are much better.

I think Smith and Robinson will be starting based on who matches up better with the WR there going against. Having Flowers as our solid number 1 and them in Combo could lead to much better years for them now that they are clearly not the number 1 guy. But those numbers are a bit of a concern I will admit

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 06:53 PM
LMAO you can't answer those facts so you just say the same thing over and over again. It's sad really

What facts? What do you want me to answer? I answered every question you gave me.

Can you give me a reason why alex smith has not thrown for 3200 yards or had a 20 td season?

Can you give me an example in recent memory of a game manager winning a super bowl?

Can you give me a reason as to why Harbaugh preferred Kaepernick after only 3-4 games as a starter while he had Smith the entire 2011 season and half of the 2012 season?

Can you give me a reason why Alex Smith has only started all 16 games twice in his NFL career?

Can you give me a reason why I should be confident he can remain healthy?

Why we are spending the number 1 pick on a position we dont even need, when we could be spending it on a position we do need like the CORNER BACK position you just admitted to us needing.

?

Chiefs fanatic
04-24-2013, 06:57 PM
If it wasn't for a couple of muffed punts, he would have lead San Francisco to the Super Bowl two years ago.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 07:19 PM
What facts? What do you want me to answer? I answered every question you gave me.

Can you give me a reason why alex smith has not thrown for 3200 yards or had a 20 td season?

The little FACT that Smith is going to be in a whole new offense. One that he has never been in before. Under a coach he has never played for before. You don't know how he's going to do under a new coach and a new offense.

The Fact that we don't no if Albert is going to stay around after this year. Sure you could say we have a LT we don't need one but again the Packers could have said we don't need a QB and not drafted Rodgers. How did that work out. By the way we have the gm who was very involved in that. You can't just look at the here and now you have to be able to look ahead.

You also never answered if it's so stupid to pass on a QB when you need one and take a OT then why did the Rams do it and win the superbowl soon after? It's been done before it COULD happen again. Why just assume it won't

As for your question I think there are lots of reasons that he may have never done that. A good part falls on Alex Smith. But like I have said over and over you also have to look at coaching his first few years. I again ask you to show me 1 qb that played well under his first couple of head coaches. But again it really doesn't matter since he's going to be in a NEW offense maybe this offense will fit him better and he can put up those numbers. Maybe it won't but there's no reason at all to think it's impossible. Alex Smith has never been great in the NFL. Hes never been a superstar but he also hasn't be garbage. He's shown some signs that he can be a very good QB under the right conditions. Before you start talking about how stupid it was what's so wrong with seeing how he does in this offense. Even the GREATS in the game have struggled when the offense wasn't right for them.

Randy Moss: did great with the Vikings went to oakland people thought he was done he went to New England and BOOM back to being great in 07

Brett Farve: Came back from retirement to play for the jets didn't do that great. People thought he was done to. Went to the vikings and that 1st year BOOM back to being great.

We once took a QB that lost his job because he got hurt like Alex Smith did the backup took the job over and did well and kept the job. His name was Trent Green. Trent lead an offense that was FUN to watch. Give that offense ANY defense at all and we are talking superbowl People didn't know what was going to happen with Green he had questions if he was going to be able to stay on the field to. IT CAN WORK Sorry but it's just way to early to begin bashing the move

doobs_05
04-24-2013, 07:25 PM
To be fair those 3 guys you named are hall of fame players.......Alex smith is not. I don't even think he's been voted a pro bowl player (and not a subsitute like cassel)

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 07:48 PM
To be fair those 3 guys you named are hall of fame players.......Alex smith is not. I don't even think he's been voted a pro bowl player (and not a subsitute like cassel)

That was my whole point even hall of famers have struggled when the situation wasn't right. Alex Smith could be coming into a better situation and thus play better he might not. But it's to early to say he can't get the job done when he hasn't taken 1 snap for us

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 08:28 PM
The little FACT that Smith is going to be in a whole new offense. One that he has never been in before. Under a coach he has never played for before. You don't know how he's going to do under a new coach and a new offense.

The Fact that we don't no if Albert is going to stay around after this year. Sure you could say we have a LT we don't need one but again the Packers could have said we don't need a QB and not drafted Rodgers. How did that work out. By the way we have the gm who was very involved in that. You can't just look at the here and now you have to be able to look ahead.

You also never answered if it's so stupid to pass on a QB when you need one and take a OT then why did the Rams do it and win the superbowl soon after? It's been done before it COULD happen again. Why just assume it won't

As for your question I think there are lots of reasons that he may have never done that. A good part falls on Alex Smith. But like I have said over and over you also have to look at coaching his first few years. I again ask you to show me 1 qb that played well under his first couple of head coaches. But again it really doesn't matter since he's going to be in a NEW offense maybe this offense will fit him better and he can put up those numbers. Maybe it won't but there's no reason at all to think it's impossible. Alex Smith has never been great in the NFL. Hes never been a superstar but he also hasn't be garbage. He's shown some signs that he can be a very good QB under the right conditions. Before you start talking about how stupid it was what's so wrong with seeing how he does in this offense. Even the GREATS in the game have struggled when the offense wasn't right for them.

Randy Moss: did great with the Vikings went to oakland people thought he was done he went to New England and BOOM back to being great in 07

Brett Farve: Came back from retirement to play for the jets didn't do that great. People thought he was done to. Went to the vikings and that 1st year BOOM back to being great.

We once took a QB that lost his job because he got hurt like Alex Smith did the backup took the job over and did well and kept the job. His name was Trent Green. Trent lead an offense that was FUN to watch. Give that offense ANY defense at all and we are talking superbowl People didn't know what was going to happen with Green he had questions if he was going to be able to stay on the field to. IT CAN WORK Sorry but it's just way to early to begin bashing the move

Ok, I will write out the questions/points that you provided in bold:

Alex Smith has a new offense: That's true but he has failed to show in the past in the many different systems he has played in that he can throw for yards and put up points.

GB drafted Rodgers when they didnt need a qb: Debatable, some fans thought Favre was well over the hill during that time. With that being said, they new that the qb position was the most important position to build off of, not a LT.

I again ask you to show me 1 qb that played well under his first couple of head coaches: Kaepernick, Flacco, Tom brady, RG3, Matt Ryan, Russel Wilson etc..

Hes never been a superstar but he also hasn't be garbage: Yes he has, and aside from that, why would you want to trade for a quarterback who has never been great in this league?

On Randy Moss and Bret Favre: Both had shown they had been elite in the past, Alex Smith never has.

In response to the Rams situation: I see the comparison you are trying to make here, but come on, that is one in a million. No sane person is going to believe their franchise is going to do what the 99 rams did.

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Now I want to you to answer my questions:

Why has Alex Smith never thrown for 3200 yards in a single season (200 per game average)?

Why has he not thrown 20 td in a single season? His highest being only 17 touchdown passes.

Out of the 7 seasons he has been a pro, he has only had 2 full seasons. Why should I believe he can remain healthy?

Why did Harbaugh let Alex Smith shop around from team to team at the end of the 2011 season?

Why would Harbaugh go with an unproven qb in Kaepernick after only 3-4 games while he has Smith who was with him for a full season and half of the 2012 season?

Lord-Chiefy
04-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Unless we trade Albert in next 16hrs we will waste a #1 pick if take LT.

Lord-Chiefy
04-24-2013, 08:43 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9208109

Looks like talks resume

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 08:46 PM
I am sure they will get a deal done.

slc chief
04-24-2013, 09:14 PM

that is obsurd.... if you draft in the first 2 picks of the 2013 draft you better take fisher or joeckel. no other player is even close to being worthy... and oh no if they draft fisher and dont trade albert we have probably the baddest o-line for the 2013 season and maybe beyond. everybody said bowe was going to be gone this year and look who stayed. same can be done with albert. wich brings up you just drafted a rt. well yeah this is 2013 it is a pass happy league. the rt on an o-line is alot more important than it used to be. teams always switch their best de's around and try to have 2 elite pass rushers. so the days of the rt on an offensive line being a road grader for your run game are over. you need 2 dominant pass blockers............... best case scenerio we trade albert for mia'a early 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder next year or at least their high 2nd this year. ........... worse case we keep albert another year and have the best 0-line in the league and alex smith's transaction year to k.c is nice and comfortable

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Ok, I will write out the questions/points that you provided in bold:

Alex Smith has a new offense: That's true but he has failed to show in the past in the many different systems he has played in that he can throw for yards and put up points.

He has done that in other systems but not in the one he will be playing in. Again that's not an opinion that's a fact. You can't say what he's going to do in this system neither can I that's the whole point there.

GB drafted Rodgers when they didnt need a qb: Debatable, some fans thought Favre was well over the hill during that time. With that being said, they new that the qb position was the most important position to build off of, not a LT.

What you say about farve is true but then the talk we don't need a LT is also debatable since Albert seems to want a lot of money and thus far they haven't been able to get a long term deal done. Again we can't just look at the here and now And the Albert contract thing still has yet to be answered.

I again ask you to show me 1 qb that played well under his first couple of head coaches: Kaepernick, Flacco, Tom brady, RG3, Matt Ryan, Russel Wilson etc..

You misunderstand me here. I was talking about the coaches Smith played under. Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary. Name me one QB to play well with them as head coach. You can't do it.

Hes never been a superstar but he also hasn't be garbage: Yes he has, and aside from that, why would you want to trade for a quarterback who has never been great in this league?

Because we have a coach who has shown he can work well with QBs. He could work well with Alex Smith it might not work out but any coach who has shown he can do what Smith did the last 2 years is not garbage and can be worked with. Why ignore the potential?

On Randy Moss and Bret Favre: Both had shown they had been elite in the past, Alex Smith never has.

That's my point. Even hall of fame players have struggled when the situation wasn't right for them. If it can have that effect on hall of fame players it can on young players like Smith was early on even more so.

In response to the Rams situation: I see the comparison you are trying to make here, but come on, that is one in a million. No sane person is going to believe their franchise is going to do what the 99 rams did.

This years draft is not far off from the 97 draft when the Rams took a franchise OT with there 1st pick. They needed a QB as well. There wasn't one there that stood out. If they had reached and took what was the best option on that time they wouldn't have won that superbowl in all likelyhood. They just didn't focus on 1 need like you didn and it paid off.

Now I want to you to answer my questions:

Why has Alex Smith never thrown for 3200 yards in a single season (200 per game average)?

Why has he not thrown 20 td in a single season? His highest being only 17 touchdown passes.

Out of the 7 seasons he has been a pro, he has only had 2 full seasons. Why should I believe he can remain healthy?

Why did Harbaugh let Alex Smith shop around from team to team at the end of the 2011 season?

Why would Harbaugh go with an unproven qb in Kaepernick after only 3-4 games while he has Smith who was with him for a full season and half of the 2012 season?

I said before there are lots of reasons most likely. I don't really fallow the 49ers so I don't know them. But 99% of the time it's many things. It's never just 1 guy. Yes Alex Smith takes his fair share of the blame but so do the other players there. It wasn't just Smith who got better it was that whole team that got better. In 2010 we killed them and they really stunk. In 2011 they were a couple of muffed punts away from the superbowl with Alex Smith at QB. He has shown he can take a team far. Yes he had talent around him but so does every other QB in the NFL. Joe Flacco has a good defense Ray Rice and some pretty good WRS does he suck?

You have asked why Harbaugh let Smith shop around well that can be turned on you and ask why we let Albert talk to other teams. Maybe our managment knows something that most don't

It has happened alot in the NFL a QB gets hurt in this case a concussion the backup comes in and plays well and they stick with the hot hand. That might backfire on the niners and it has many teams. Again I tell you we once took a team that lost his job because of injury to a guy who got hot and he lead us to having the number 1 offense in the NFL. It can work out why act like it's such a stupid move before one thing has gone wrong in a game? Give it time My man. It's not your message that is the problem it's how you deliver it. If you were to say I'm not sold on Alex Smith ok fine To be 100% honest I have my doubts to. But you act like it's fact he's going to suck which just isn't the truth at this moment in time. Just don't be so judgemental before the fact. You can voice concerns without acting like it's already determend he sucks in KC

MyManHali
04-24-2013, 09:30 PM
He has done that in other systems but not in the one he will be playing in. Again that's not an opinion that's a fact. You can't say what he's going to do in this system neither can I that's the whole point there.

What you say about farve is true but then the talk we don't need a LT is also debatable since Albert seems to want a lot of money and thus far they haven't been able to get a long term deal done. Again we can't just look at the here and now And the Albert contract thing still has yet to be answered.

You misunderstand me here. I was talking about the coaches Smith played under. Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary. Name me one QB to play well with them as head coach.

Because we have a coach who has shown he can work well with QBs. He could work well with Alex Smith it might not work out but any coach who has shown he can do what Smith did the last 2 years is not garbage and can be worked with. Why ignore the potential?

That's my point. Even hall of fame players have struggled when the situation wasn't right for them. If it can have that effect on hall of fame players it can on young players like Smith was early on even more so.

This years draft is not far off from the 97 draft when the Rams took a franchise OT with there 1st pick. They needed a QB as well. There wasn't one there that stood out. If they had reached and took what was the best option on that time they wouldn't have won that superbowl in all likelyhood. They just didn't focus on 1 need like you didn and it paid off.

I said before there are lots of reasons most likely. I don't really fallow the 49ers so I don't know them. But 99% of the time it's many things. It's never just 1 guy. Yes Alex Smith takes his fair share of the blame but so do the other players there. It wasn't just Smith who got better it was that whole team that got better. In 2010 we killed them and they really stunk. In 2011 they were a couple of muffed punts away from the superbowl with Alex Smith at QB. He has shown he can take a team far. Yes he had talent around him but so does every other QB in the NFL. Joe Flacco has a good defense Ray Rice and some pretty good WRS does he suck?

You have asked why Harbaugh let Smith shop around well that can be turned on you and ask why we let Albert talk to other teams. Maybe our managment knows something that most don't

It has happened alot in the NFL a QB gets hurt in this case a concussion the backup comes in and plays well and they stick with the hot hand. That might backfire on the niners and it has many teams. Again I tell you we once took a team that lost his job because of injury to a guy who got hot and he lead us to having the number 1 offense in the NFL. It can work out why act like it's such a stupid move before one thing has gone wrong in a game? Give it time My man. It's not your message that is the problem it's how you deliver it. If you were to say I'm not sold on Alex Smith ok fine To be 100% honest I have my doubts to. But you act like it's fact he's going to suck which just isn't the truth at this moment in time. Just don't be so judgemental before the fact. You can voice concerns without acting like it's already determend he sucks in KC

I don't know what is going to happen in the future, but I am looking at his past. His past gives me no indication that he can take over, throw for yards and put up points, that is why I look at him as a slightly better version of Cassel. Cassel did the same, didn't throw for very many yards, had a good rating and took care of the football. He looked good handing the ball off to Jamaal just like Alex Smith has looked good handing the ball off to Gore.

That is all I am saying. You have to admit that should be a cause for concern.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't know what is going to happen in the future, but I am looking at his past. His past gives me no indication that he can take over, throw for yards and put up points, that is why I look at him as a slightly better version of Cassel. Cassel did the same, didn't throw for very many yards, had a good rating and took care of the football. He looked good handing the ball off to Jamaal just like Alex Smith has looked good handing the ball off to Gore.

All this is VERY fair and true and like I said I have my doubts But Alex Smith is not Matt Cassel he shouldn't be treated as such. But he has shown he can take a team to the playoffs and win in the playoffs There's somethings you can look at and hope. And there are some things you can look at and be concerned that's why I think we have to let this move play out instead of freaking out before game 1 of the preseason just chill out a bit my man

texaschief
04-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Honestly, why wouldn't you want that situation? A stud qb who leads us deep into the playoffs? I would love to draft in the upper 20's next year. If that were to happen then give Albert the deal he wants.

First of all, this is your vision for the Chiefs' best case scenario: Geno Smith is the stud you hype him up to be and in his rookie year, he represents the best option for the Chiefs to win at the QB position while taking them deep into the playoffs. Most NFL contracts are back-loaded, which means the Chiefs will be in even worse shape to try and sign Albert to a long-term deal. So, you can't just say "give him what he wants" without factoring in the opportunity cost. If Albert leaves, there's no way the Chiefs possess enough assets to try and trade up for an elite LT who will probably be drafted in the top 10 next season. Again, this is assuming the Chiefs make a deep playoff run. If Geno didn't live up to the hype, the Chiefs would be in prime position to take a LT next season... but if the team is horrible, then Geno was horrible and if there's an elite QB to be had, which do you take? At least this way, if the Alex Smith experiment goes horribly wrong, the Chiefs will at least have their elite talent at the LT and be in position to take an elite QB next season. Again, if you went the other route, and had a horrible season, you would've paid Albert $9m this year, watch him walk and still need a QB AND a LT.

Unlike so many jaded Chiefs fans, I personally don't think the Chiefs are all that far from being a serious force in this league. I honestly think they're a "good" not great QB away from being a top 6 to 10 team in the NFL. They have one of, if not THE best rushing attacks in the league. They've got a ton of talent on defense with a lot of depth in the secondary. They've got 2 great pass rushers and good, young talent on the D-line. The WRs have loads of talent, the TE's aren't horrible and the O-line already has at least 4 starters even without Albert returning.

The biggest problem on this team was the absolutely atrocious QB play. The defense was hurt because they were always on the field due to the lack of variation to the offense and the fact that Cassel/Quinn couldn't stop turning the ball over. I don't care how much you want to blame the O-line (which somehow was good enough to plow the road for the best rushing offense in the league) or the defense who was always playing on their own side of the 50, the fact remains that this team is drafting #1 overall because they had THE WORST production from that #1 position on the football field.

You put that same rushing offense on a team that has half the turnovers the Chiefs did last season along with a starting defense with 7 first round picks, Houston, and Flowers, and you've got a team that is ABSOLUTELY ready to make a run. There's a reason why a lot of people were picking KC to win the division last year and why there are so many picking KC to darkhorse this year.

Both Branden Albert and Geno Smith represent the largest gambles this franchise could make this offseason. Neither are known commodities going into next season. Albert's back doesn't make you excited to sign him to a long-term deal. Nobody knows what Geno will do at the next level. Granted, we don't know what Joekel is going to do either, but you've got a much better idea as he played against the best competition in the country this past season and practiced against Von Miller since he was a freshman. The guy never missed a game and has ZERO health or character concerns. You can throw out any ultra-inflated stat you want about Geno playing in a spread/bubble screen offense with elite WR's matched up against CB's at James Madison University or Big 12 defenses, but the fact remains that he IS NOT the elite type of QB we've seen in years past. He IS NOT anymore of a down field passer than Alex Smith as evidenced by his .1yd avg MORE than Alex. Does he have a bigger arm? Yes. But all he did in West Virginia was check down and throw bubble screens... which is what you hate so much about Alex Smith.

It's a pretty simple equation:

top 15 LT with a sketchy back for $9m + 3000 draft points for an unproven QB who isn't even rated in the top 20 in his own draft class

OR

$4.5m for the consensus BPA at #1 LT + 250 draft points for a QB with a sketchy injury past

The $9 million salaries cancel because Albert/Smith will probably end up making close to the same amount. The 2nd round pick in this year's draft basically cancels because the Chiefs will recoup that pick in the trade of Albert to whichever team wants him. So, when it comes to the QB position, we're basically talking about Geno for 3000 pts or Alex for 300pts (AT THE MOST) I guess I'm crazy for thinking Geno isn't worth 10x MORE than Alex.

The problem with Geno (outside of attitude which I won't get into) is that scouts don't believe he can make the progressive reads to run that style of offense at the NFL level. Geno had a 26 wonderlic score which, while isn't horrible, is only 6th best in this class. Of the Super Bowl winning QB's still playing, the average score is 30.7 with only Big Ben scoring lower than a 26 with his 25. Nassib was the highest at 41. Kaepernick had a 37. Stanzi got a 30. Alex Smith got a 40. Should your pick be based on this test? Absolutely not. Vince Young scored a 6 and got picked #7 overall. But, this test IS relevant when it comes to QBs because it indicates how quickly a QB may be able to pick up new lingo, a whole new system, process what he sees quickly, understand his reads and therefor his progressions. Andy Reid's offense is all about being able to know where to go with the ball. Despite what you WANT the offense to look like, Reid needs to have a QB who can do all those things and one of Alex Smith's greatest attributes is exactly what you hate and that is he's a great game manager. He knows where to go with the ball, he knows when to check down and take what the defense gives him. He knows how to read defenses and not turn the ball over by thinking his arm is bigger than what it is. I'd take I.Q. over talent any day of the week. How many times have you seen a QB like Phillip Rivers make dumb decisions because he thinks he can put the ball anywhere he wants? How many QB's like Vick or RGIII have we seen take unnecessary risks with their health because they thought they could make a great athletic play instead of the smart decision of throwing the ball away or eating a sack? Sure, every now and then they make a few spectacular plays, but the guys getting the hardware and winning trophies are the smart ones. Hell, Brett Favre leads the world in INT's because he had all the talent in the world but made dumb decisions with his arm. The talent is great, but you can't fake what's between the ears... no matter how many times Geno Smith brings up that point.

Wanting an elite QB is something we all have in common. Thinking Geno Smith is that guy, is not. Thinking Andy Reid's offensive system is Tom Brady or Peyton Manning dependent is also false. Reid said that he's been a fan of Alex Smiths since he came into the league. It's not because he's an elite QB. Reid has identified traits in Alex Smith that he knows he can utilize at an elite level in this offense. Expecting elite production from Alex Smith in an offensive system that highlights what he does best is not the same as expecting him to be Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees. Put Tom Brady in a zone-read offense like what RGIII or Kaepernick run and he's no longer elite. Put Peyton manning on a team with a controlling offensive coordinator and he's no longer elite. Put Rich Gannon on the Chiefs instead of the Raiders and... oh wait. lol The point that I'm making and a few others have tried to make is that it isn't necessarily plug and play when it comes to QBs. There are so many factors that go into creating an "elite" QB that just because a guy doesn't measure up to whichever standard we have created in our own psyche, that doesn't mean that QB can't be elite in an entirely different way. Just look at Russell in Seattle for instance.

You're all angry because Alex Smith doesn't throw down the field enough and that he only averages 7.9yds per completion. But look at the top 10 QBs from last season:

Rogers-7.8
Peyton-8
RGIII-8.1
Wilson-7.7
Ryan-7.6
Brady-7.5
Ben-7.2
Brees-7.7
Schaub-7.3
Rivers-7.5
Flacco-7.2
ALEX SMITH-7.97

Those were the top 11 QBs from last season compared to Alex Smith. Rogers, Peyton, RGIII Ryan, Brady, Brees, Schaub, Flacco... I'd say those were all in the "elite" category. Your biggest complaint about Alex Smith is that he's a "game manager" and won't throw down the field. I must fail to see the giant difference between the "elite who throw down the field" and our puny little game manager who takes a back seat to only RGIII and Peyton by mere inches of a yard. This is a "what have you done lately" league and lately, Alex Smith has proven himself to be an above average QB (at worst) over the past 2 seasons and the type of QB Andy Reid has been dreaming of running his offense. We've seen what the uber-talented QBs have done in his system with Vick, McNabb, and Vince Young... and it wasn't all that great. But when he had guys like Kolb and Foles running the offense, the entire team took off and won games.

The whole point is that when you put a QB in a system that highlights the QB's talents, you can get elite production. Put Cam Newton and RGIII in a system where they spread the defense thin, air it out or take off running, and you'll get elite production from that guy. Put a smart, experienced player in a system where they can make reads, check at the line and pick apart a defense with check downs and a good running game, and you'll get elite production like we see from Peyton, Brady, and Brees. Pair a guy with an elite defense and give him a chance to feel comfortable in the pocket with good protection, and you'll get a ring like Flacco. Get a guy with elusiveness, top end speed, and a gun for an arm, you'll get elite production from guys like Kaepernick, Russell, and sometimes Mike Vick. (I find it amusing when people say Kaepernick did so much better than Smith in that offense. They were completely different offensive systems. I don't remember seeing Alex Smith running too many read options.) Start miss matching QBs and schemes and you'll get crap production. Alex Smith was drafted #1 overall because of his production running an offense very similar to Andy Reid's in college. Since he was drafted, Smith has only been in a similar system twice... and those were these past two years where he has put up career numbers.

If a QB is asked to be someone they're not, that won't bode well for ANY team or ANY QB. If you're expecting to see an offense that throws 25-40 yards down the middle of the field on a consistent basis, you're absolutely mistaken. Reid's offense doesn't require that play on a consistent basis, therefor, the system doesn't require a QB to do that on a consistent basis. The system requires a QB who can read a defense, make checks, go through progressions, and not turn the ball over. Quite frankly, if the Chiefs drafted Geno and asked him to be that guy, I don't think it would be fair to Geno. That's not his game. He's a pocket passer who needs an offensive coordinator to design plays to get his WRs open with one or two different checks and only 2 or 3 options. I think Geno Smith would do well in an offense similar to the one Carolina ran with Newton or the one they're running in Miami with Tannehill.

I've spent too much time on this subject debating a moot point. The Chiefs' new QB is Alex Smith. They're trading Albert to Miami for a 2nd round pick and they're taking a LT #1 overall. That's happening. It's practically done. I'm sorry I can't show you the logic that one of the best coaches and one of the best personnel guys in the league are implementing because it's quite sound and ingenious with tons of foresight and preparation.

I blame myself.

slc chief
04-24-2013, 09:56 PM

obviously you dont remember the saints playoff game that was all alex in the 4th quarter....... look is he a arron rodgers who puts up fantasy football numbers no. but he is very accurate with the ball,can scramble,does not turn the ball over, is not affraid of a hit like cassell. and one of his biggest strenghts is his ability to check the defense down and change the play at the line of scriimage. read the trent dilfer article about that. the biggest problem with the 2012 k.c chiefs besides a hideous coaching staff was turnovers and there predictable play calling. alex smith takes care of those 2 biggest problems. is he a drew brees no is he a definant upgrade hell ya.

texaschief
04-24-2013, 10:03 PM

You do remember that before Cassel stepped into the starting spot for the injured Tom Brady, the last time he started a game was in high school, 8 years before that, right? The only reason he was a starter for the Chiefs was because Pioli drafted him in New England. The only reason he kept his job unconditionally was because Pioli didn't want to admit he was wrong. Cassel was a product of a poor Chiefs administration and horrible coaching once he got here.

Alex Smith was #1 overall and has had tons more experience at the NFL level coming into his tenure with the Chiefs than what Cassel had... and Smith is 2 years younger. They're not the same player. Even if all Smith does is hand off the ball as much as Cassel did, when he's asked to put it in the air, he won't be throwing it to the wrong colored jersey. If Cassel could've managed the game half as well has he did this past year, the Chiefs could've at least been .500.

Lord-Chiefy
04-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Hopefully we will pick up some offensive weapons too.

brdempsey69
04-24-2013, 10:32 PM

No they won't. They can stick Albert at LG or RT if they want to. If he stays, he'll play where they tell him and if he dogs it, he'll be kissing any lucrative FA contract from anyone, goodbye.

Albert doesn't factor into the equation of drafting a LT, should they decide to.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2013, 10:38 PM
The biggest problem on this team was the absolutely atrocious QB play.

I agree with everything you said but this call me stubborn but I'm sticking to my guns that while QB play was pretty bad Coaching was the biggest problem on this team. But that staff and those QBs are gone now. I agree we are not as bad as most think. We could be in the mix this year. I can't wait till tomorrow to see what happens over the course of the next few days.

texaschief
04-24-2013, 10:41 PM
I agree with everything you said but this call me stubborn but I'm sticking to my guns that while QB play was pretty bad Coaching was the biggest problem on this team. But that staff and those QBs are gone now. I agree we are not as bad as most think. We could be in the mix this year. I can't wait till tomorrow to see what happens over the course of the next few days.

I wasn't including coaching. I agree with you.

Lord-Chiefy
04-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Well if we keep Albert (I wish we do) Udall still take Fisher. He's much more athletic

pojote
04-25-2013, 12:27 PM
If we draft a LT and keep Albert, the rookie probably will play RT until he can beat Albert. Can be first snap or never.
Reid has a proven vet LT, and will have a talented rookie but no pro experience. He wants to win now.

Something tells me that our FO won't pick a LT with his first. In a few hours we will know.

Lord-Chiefy
04-25-2013, 05:32 PM
If this isn't done before the draft the price should go up!!!!!@ I think Miami is playing games!!@ they want to roll the picks to next years draft@
If it's next years ppicks I say 2 and a 3. Or a 1st!!!!@ screw Miami!!

Lord-Chiefy
04-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Espn just said that Miami has stoped talks about Albert till after 1st rd picks are made!! Piss off Miami!!@ they think we will take less for Albert after drafting Fisher. Or they are trying to trade up to get LT. Once again were screwed!!!!

jap1
04-25-2013, 07:07 PM
If they want to offer picks next year, I'd gladly take a 1st or a 2nd a 3rd and a late round pick.

ctchiefsfan
04-25-2013, 07:47 PM
I'd really like to see us screw Miami over! I've hated those damned fish for a long long time!

Seek
04-25-2013, 10:39 PM
The first question you say we are fine at LT and then in the 4th you say we need a LT. Are you talking about depth? I think Stephenson has shown he can be reliable in a back up position.

We do need a qb. Alex Smith is the perfect veteran to back up a franchise qb similar to what he was doing in SF.

To your qb point why do we need a LT when we have 20 other positions that need to be filled?
It is simple you draft the best player available. Just as Dorsey said he would