PDA

View Full Version : Camp reports

Seek
07-29-2013, 08:52 AM
I usually look up in the KC star how things are going. I thought I would post this on here for a few of you to read and maybe comment on as I found some of it interesting since I didn't even Know who Agnew was. Looks Like Houston is kicking Fisher's butt...

Rookie Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce settles into a groove
Updated: 2013-07-29T03:53:25Z
July 28
The offense
Order Reprints
More NewsDaniel holds for kicks
Rookie Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce settles into a groove
Offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz shows off his versatility at Chiefs camp
Dwayne Bowe back at Chiefs practice after recovering from virus
Ready for some football? A fan’s guide to training camp with the Chiefs
Read more ChiefsRookie tight end Travis Kelce appears to be settling into a groove, as he and backup QB Chase Daniel connected for the best offensive play of the day. Daniel lofted a pass along the left sideline that Kelce somehow hauled in over three defenders. The quarterbacks spent much of the day working the middle of the field. Alex Smith found tight end Tony Moeaki wide open. Rookie running back Knile Davis has struggled to hold on to the ball in camp, but showed improvement in this area Sunday. He also showed promise as a runner, exploding through the line on a run to the left and speeding up the sideline untouched. Receiver Jonathan Baldwin dropped a wide-open pass early in the practice but came on strong as the day went on, catching a TD pass over the middle.
The defense
The defense spent a healthy portion of practice working on its blitz schemes, and at times it worked, as the pass rush forced the quarterbacks to either miss the intended receiver or take a sack. Linebackers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston led the charge. Hali had a sack early in 11-on-11, while rookie first-round pick Eric Fisher had his hands full with Houston all morning. Though Houston jumped off-sides once during 11-on-11, he twice sped past Fisher during pass protection drills — a teammate even came over and smacked Fisher on the tail to encourage him — before he finally stopped Houston by negating a bull rush. The defensive play of the day came from cornerback Vince Agnew, who made a leaping, one-handed interception on a downfield pass by Ricky Stanzi.
Injury report
G Jeff Allen (shoulder), DL Marcus Dixon (hamstring), CB Buddy Jackson (hamstring) and DB Sanders Commings (collarbone), fullback Braden Wilson (hamstring) were out. CB Dunta Robinson left the field midway through practice with a hamstring issue.
Today’s schedule
Practice starts at 8:15 a.m. and is free and open to the public. Parking is $5.
The number
1 Free-agent Vince Agnew showed some serious skills with his one-handed interception, but Agnew was hardly a ballhawk in college, where he tallied just one interception in four years at Central Michigan.
| Randy Covitz, rcovitz@kcstar.com, and Terez Paylor, tpaylor@kcstar.com
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/28/4374006/chiefs-camp-report.html#storylink=cpy

Coach
07-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Justin Houston is gonna keep a lot of people's hands full this year. Why is Stanzi still on this roster? Any roster? He couldn't beat out Brady Quinn or Tyler Palko for a spot. Ricky must be a lockerroom favorite or have dirt on Clark Hunt.

I'm really excited about this years team. I'm ready to see our new offense and QB.

Seek
07-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Justin Houston is gonna keep a lot of people's hands full this year. Why is Stanzi still on this roster? Any roster? He couldn't beat out Brady Quinn or Tyler Palko for a spot. Ricky must be a lockerroom favorite or have dirt on Clark Hunt.

I'm really excited about this years team. I'm ready to see our new offense and QB.

From what I have heard, he is playing 4th string right now so he has to really wow the coaches to beat out Bray. Bray has the potention to be something if Reid can get his head on right. After watching camp last year, there was sessions where the QB would work with Receivers only. The 4th QB would then go off and work with the running backs on handing the ball of etc.... Something a coach could easily do but I guess it still work.

brdempsey69
07-29-2013, 05:23 PM
This is good that Fisher is getting this type of work in practice against a Pro-Bowl caliber pass-rusher like Justin Houston. Up in Minnesota last year, Matt Kalil went against Jared Allen on a daily basis & helped Kalil get ready for the regular season. Here's to hoping the same process works for Fisher this year.

Stanzi is clearly looking like another QB draft-bust, which is all the Chiefs have ever had with drafting QB's since 1970. I'm glad they didn't draft any QB's this year and snagged Bray as an undrafted FA. I know a blessing in disguise when I see it.

Also it was reported that Eric Berry has a tweaked hamstring and had to leave practice. They need to give him whatever time he needs to recoup, especially with Sanders Commings having the broken clavicle.

MyManHali
07-30-2013, 01:23 AM

Agreed. But remember with this fanbase you need to give a quarterback atleast 4 seasons with the same coordinator.

Atleast that is what I learned with Matt Cassel.

Justin5772002
07-30-2013, 05:13 AM
Look at Travis kelce's videos on you tube that guy is amazing I'm stoked to have him as a chief I think he will be amazing for us even right out the gate. Very physical and athletic

Seek
07-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Really liked to read this one.

The moment Chiefs fans held their breath...
By SAM MELLINGER The Kansas City Star
Updated: 2013-07-29T15:58:14Z
July 29
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star
ST. JOSEPH — The unofficial time was 9:42 a.m. Monday when the people here held their breath. They’re not used to this tackling stuff, not in training camp anyway, and besides, did it need to be Jamaal Charles? The superstar? The irreplaceable part of this offense, the one thing the Chiefs offense had going for it last year? Training camp tackling used to be, more or less, like two buzzed frat guys meeting up: sort of a hug, wrap up, make ’em know you’re there but don’t go to the ground. That’s how Romeo Crennel did it last year, and Todd Haley before him. High and hard, they called it. No reason to take unnecessary risks.
Well, we saw how that worked out. There’s no telling how much the reluctance to tackle in training camp had to do with the reluctance to tackle during the regular season, but, well, safe to say it didn’t help.
So now they’re tackling. Real tackling. There’s nothing here that would draw a penalty or fine from Roger Goodell — they’re teammates, after all — but it’s more than enough that you or me would be feeling it the next day. Hard hits, take-the-guy-to-the-ground kind of stuff.
Which is how we find Charles on the ground, under some bodies, and the fans who came to watch in the rain holding their breath.
Charles popped right up. Dusted himself off a bit. High-fived the guy who tackled him. No hard feelings.
So much different than a year ago.
To reach Sam Mellinger, call 816-234-4365, send email to smellinger@kcstar.com or follow twitter.com/mellinger. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/29/4374899/the-moment-chiefs-fans-held-their.html#storylink=cpy-chiefs-fans-held-their.html#storylink=cpy (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/29/4374899/the-moment-chiefs-fans-held-their.html#storylink=cpy)

brdempsey69
07-30-2013, 01:10 PM
This is encouraging:

Chiefs LB Tamba Hali on his thoughts about Eric Fisher's first week of training camp:

“The guy is good, he can block. I don’t play against him much, but he’s a physical guy when he wants to be. He can finesse you when he wants to. Eric is a good player coming out of college. Every college player has to come in and prove themself, that’s the ground I believe in. That’s how it was when I got here.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Unplugged-Thoughts-on-Rain-Fans--More/7eb2388c-ed0e-4dd8-9bdd-f13f9c791c0c

Also, Jeff Allen returned to practice.

Look at Travis kelce's videos on you tube that guy is amazing I'm stoked to have him as a chief I think he will be amazing for us even right out the gate. Very physical and athletic

You aren't alone in that thought. Some people were up in arms on draft day 2 when the Chiefs took him, but I suspected that the Chiefs would take him as his brother Jason played for Andy Reid in Philly and Travis Kelce was easily in the top 5 of BPA at pick #63. He's already made some impressive plays in camp catching the ball & brother, can he ever block.

Seek
07-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Jeff Allen, Eric Berry and other minor injured players returned today.

Safety Eric Berry, who left Monday’s practice with a sore hamstring, is back at practice.
• Guard Jeff Allen, who injured his shoulder on Saturday, returned to practice.
• Cornerback Dunta Robinson is practicing after tweaking his hamstring.
• Cornerback Buddy Jackson is back after a hamstring injury.
• Defensive lineman Marcus Dixon is back after a hamstring injury.
• Sanders Commings remains out with an injured collarbone, while fullback Braden Wilson remains out with a hamstring injury.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/30/4377333/several-chiefs-return-to-practice.html#storylink=cpy

matthewschiefs
07-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Agreed. But remember with this fanbase you need to give a quarterback atleast 4 seasons with the same coordinator.

Once again this is your BS verison of what people think

NO ONE ON HERE has EVER said a guy needs 4 years with the same corrdinator what has been said when you have a change every year that is not going to end up well. There's a big difference in the 2

texaschief
07-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Once again this is your BS verison of what people think

NO ONE ON HERE has EVER said a guy needs 4 years with the same corrdinator what has been said when you have a change every year that is not going to end up well. There's a big difference in the 2

Don't feed the troll

Coach
07-31-2013, 10:16 AM
This is encouraging:

Chiefs LB Tamba Hali on his thoughts about Eric Fisher's first week of training camp:

“The guy is good, he can block. I don’t play against him much, but he’s a physical guy when he wants to be. He can finesse you when he wants to. Eric is a good player coming out of college. Every college player has to come in and prove themself, that’s the ground I believe in. That’s how it was when I got here.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Unplugged-Thoughts-on-Rain-Fans--More/7eb2388c-ed0e-4dd8-9bdd-f13f9c791c0c

Also, Jeff Allen returned to practice.

You aren't alone in that thought. Some people were up in arms on draft day 2 when the Chiefs took him, but I suspected that the Chiefs would take him as his brother Jason played for Andy Reid in Philly and Travis Kelce was easily in the top 5 of BPA at pick #63. He's already made some impressive plays in camp catching the ball & brother, can he ever block.

mark me as one of those people that was scratching their head when we drafted a TE early. But after watching his videos I'm probably more excited to see him suit up than any other rookie we drafted.

Chiefster
08-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Don't feed the troll

This is a non troll feeding zone. :lol:

MyManHali
08-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Reports are Fisher has been struggling at camp:

Nick Jacobs‏@Jacobs711m
Austen Lane with the pass rush of camp. Gets Eric Fisher off balance with a bull rush and plants him on the ground. #Chiefs

MyManHali
08-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Don't feed the troll

That was a half troll/half serious statement. Cassel supporters like Chief 31 never could admit Cassel hindered offensive production. It was always somebody else's fault.

It was sad.

matthewschiefs
08-03-2013, 03:51 PM
That was a half troll/half serious statement. Cassel supporters like Chief 31 never could admit Cassel hindered offensive production. It was always somebody else's fault.

It was sad.

You miss understood that point. The point wasn't that he had to have the same OC EVERY year it was when it changes EVERY year that hurts a QB. Show me 1 QB that had a change of OCs EVERY year they were with a team and was any good. It hurts a Qb. There is "making excuse" for a guy then there's stating fact.
Many stated this fact myself included but that doesn't mean we put 0 blame on Cassel it means that there were other factors outside of Cassel that hurt the team that you wouldn't even talk about. You seem to think that the entire fate of a team rides on the QB. That's just not the case. Just because someone doesn't blame the QB for EVERYTHING doesn't mean they don't blame the QB at all.

Frankenchief
08-03-2013, 08:25 PM
I've been pretty intrigued by the signing of the ex-Basketball player Demetrius Harris. More so when I heard all the reviews of his offseason work. Now I haven't heard his name mentioned in training camp reports. Does anyone know how he is doing?

Eydugstr
08-04-2013, 12:52 PM

At this point I'd settle for two.

jason1981
08-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Ok anyone have camo updates inatead of the bickering.I keep coming to this thread to dind updates and all I see ks bickering. U shoukd start a thread just for bickering.

Chiefster
08-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Proof reading is a lost skill.

Seek
08-05-2013, 08:46 AM
there is actually a lot of news that I wanted to post. But the KC Star is now forcing me to become a member for a fee to read the articles. Previously they were free. I don't really blame them, they have to make money some how but it was very nice getting it free.

You may want to try this link. There is lots of articles in there with stuff you may find interesting. Like Rico Richardson getting some attention at WR and the Chiefs current depth chart that came out for the game this week. A that this coaching staff is also putting to much stock in Dexter McCluster by having him in almost every formation as well as kick and punt returns. Seriously, the Wind tackles this guy and come game time if he does not get off the line freely he won't get open as he will be knocked on the ground somewhere.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/

Seek
08-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Few surprises as Chiefs release first depth chart of training camp

The Chiefs issued their first depth chart of training camp in advance of Friday night’s preseason opener against the Saints in New Orleans. Here are some thoughts:
• The depth chart for the most part reflects how the Chiefs have lined up during training camp. The only real argument I have is at tight end, where Travis Kelce is listed as second-team and Tony Moeaki is listed as a third-stringer behind starter Anthony Fasano. Moeaki has been getting more snaps with the first team than Kelce.
• For those Chiefs fans hoping for a demotion for Jon Baldwin, keep waiting. He’s listed as one of the starting wide receivers.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/red-zone/#storylink=cpy

brdempsey69
08-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Few surprises as Chiefs release first depth chart of training camp

The Chiefs issued their first depth chart of training camp in advance of Friday night’s preseason opener against the Saints in New Orleans. Here are some thoughts:
• The depth chart for the most part reflects how the Chiefs have lined up during training camp. The only real argument I have is at tight end, where Travis Kelce is listed as second-team and Tony Moeaki is listed as a third-stringer behind starter Anthony Fasano. Moeaki has been getting more snaps with the first team than Kelce.
• For those Chiefs fans hoping for a demotion for Jon Baldwin, keep waiting. He’s listed as one of the starting wide receivers.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/red-zone/#storylink=cpy

I know I'm not one of those wanting him to fail. He's got tremendous upside and has shown flashes. He simply has put it together & start getting it done consistently on Sundays.

matthewschiefs
08-05-2013, 06:22 PM
I know I'm not one of those wanting him to fail. He's got tremendous upside and has shown flashes. He simply has put it together & start getting it done consistently on Sundays.

I don't know why anyone would judge him to be a total bust just yet. The general rule on a guy coming out of college drafted in the 1st round is the 3rd year is a make or break year. If he hasn't been able to put it together by year number 3 then it would be time to rule him as a bust. Baldwin is going into his 3rd season this year. It's a big year for him. This is the time that they really need to see him be able to put it together. Add to that the HUGE upgrade in the coaching department I think it's still a little to soon to give up on Baldwin. I still have hopes that he can be a solid guy at Bowe's side. But I do think that this is a big year for Baldwin. It's time for him to show us what hes got.

rodu
08-06-2013, 07:35 AM
I don't know why anyone would judge him to be a total bust just yet. The general rule on a guy coming out of college drafted in the 1st round is the 3rd year is a make or break year. If he hasn't been able to put it together by year number 3 then it would be time to rule him as a bust. Baldwin is going into his 3rd season this year. It's a big year for him. This is the time that they really need to see him be able to put it together. Add to that the HUGE upgrade in the coaching department I think it's still a little to soon to give up on Baldwin. I still have hopes that he can be a solid guy at Bowe's side. But I do think that this is a big year for Baldwin. It's time for him to show us what hes got.

came to say this

Who are we using as our third WR?

Seek
08-06-2013, 08:44 AM
came to say this

Who are we using as our third WR?

Dexter McCluster - which bothers me. Two years ago the Chiefs tried to make McCluster in almost every situations as a threat to running the ball and or getting the ball in open space. The result was alot of touches or decoy plays but McCluster getting hurt early because he is so small and gets tackled real easy. Teams were game planning for him and he was not productive. I really really don't like the thought of getting him this involved as to say he is a secret type of weapon.

Now maybe with this west Coast type of offense maybe things will be different with how people game plan for the Chiefs.

MyManHali
08-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Where is Donnie Avery and what has he been doing?

jason1981
08-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Iv never been impressed by mccluster. Hes to easy to tackle and seems kike he jukes himself out and falls down. I think he dances around to much jnstead of getting more yards. He needs to do one move then plant and go. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?I thought arenas woukd have been better kn offense.

matthewschiefs
08-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Where is Donnie Avery and what has he been doing?

That's a very good question have not heard much about him

Justin5772002
08-07-2013, 01:38 AM
According to pederson on kcchiefs.com video interview Avery is our 3rd and n mccluster is 4th. It sounds like Avery might even be doing better than baldwin

jap1
08-07-2013, 03:18 AM
For what it is worth, here is the current depth chart: http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/depth-chart.html

jap1
08-07-2013, 03:19 AM
For what it is worth, here is the current depth chart: http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/depth-chart.html

Of note, Moeaki is the 3rd string TE behind Fasano and Kelce.

rodu
08-07-2013, 07:50 AM

I would expect a bit of shuffling after our first pre season game

brdempsey69
08-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Of note, Moeaki is the 3rd string TE behind Fasano and Kelce.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. Fasano and Kelce can both catch as well as Moeaki and they are better blockers.

Chiefster
08-07-2013, 03:32 PM
This shouldn't surprise anyone. Fasano and Kelce can both catch as well as Moeaki and they are better blockers.

I say: whatever makes us better.

brdempsey69
08-07-2013, 07:50 PM
I say: whatever makes us better.

Especially after a 2-14 season.

Justin5772002
08-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I see kelce playing like gronkowski

Seek
08-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Don't know what to think about this. But they are now saying the J. Charles running plays are expected to decrease but his catches to increase. Are they making him a 3rd down back or becoming an pass happy team uisng short passes as a run instead of actually running the ball.

jason1981
08-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I think their emphasizing passing right now just to get the qb and wr in a better grove and get their timing down. I think its easier to get the running game than passjng game going. I think once the closer to regular season it wikk be more balanced. Okus id rather they do that and save charles from injury.

doobs_05
08-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Eagle fans have been saying on other forums that J Charles touches were going to go down because Reid loves to throw the ball

Seek
08-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Eagle fans have been saying on other forums that J Charles touches were going to go down because Reid loves to throw the ball

I read it in an article in the KC Star, so the Eagles fans are correct which is bothering me a little. However, they are complaining about a guy who made the play offs a bunch and failed to do so later on when he didn't really have a throwing QB so their hatred may be biased based on a standard set by Reid. I mean many Chiefs fans would take anything Pioli or Haley was doing for a a play off win. Just wait until the Eagles start losing and wishing to have Reid back just as many Chiefs fans felt after Marty left and we went in the tank.

MyManHali
08-08-2013, 02:17 PM

If this does happen, Alex Smith throwing 35x a game will turn out to be a disaster.

Justin5772002
08-09-2013, 01:43 AM
If this does happen, Alex Smith throwing 35x a game will turn out to be a disaster.

Now now lets not start that crap again he'll be just fine....not extraordinary but fine enough to take us to the playoffs

TopekaRoy
08-09-2013, 10:53 AM
I would think that not wanting to wear Charles down would also be a consideration in not having him run the ball as much. He's still gonna get plenty of touches whether he runs the ball or catches it out of the backfield. Our offense was ranked 5th in rushing last year, but dead last in the NFL in passing. Having a more balanced attack should make our offense less predictable and that can only help the team overall. I want to see longer sustained drives this year so our defense gets more rest and doesn't wear down at the end of games.

jason1981
08-09-2013, 12:31 PM
For the first time in years we can be llegitimately excited for the season to start and actually expect to have a good season. Question is what is defined as a good season? Considering we were 2-14 last year. Anything better than 8-8 woukd be good but think we could push for a wildcard spot..

doobs_05
08-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Andy Reid is known to pass more than run

Seek
08-13-2013, 10:00 AM
So I am at camp with my boys. Flowers made a great pick 6. On that play both tamba and houston rushed at the right side forcing alex to throw quick and flowrs just read it beautiful

Seek
08-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Well I tried to post from Camp but my phone does not like the sun. One thing I noticed right off. While practicing in the morning is nice as far as weather goes, the grass still has dew on it. Lots of players were slipping or running scared of slipping.

I saw Baldwin once. Most of the passes went to the running backs. Bowe got a fair share as did many other receivers but Baldwin was crickets in a garage. You knew he was there but where...... I would not be shocked to see him cut.

Fisher did struggle. Brandon Albert is clearly a much better Tackle right now. Even though he got abused awefully against #62 Josh Martin. Maybe it was just the day but this kid looked impressive for a rookie.

While many want to bash Smith for dinking and dunking. He is very accurate with his throws and hits the runners in stride. Some times to Brandon Flowers but in stride none the less. While Daniels and Bray are accurate the offense didn't flow as much with them out there. Maybe that was the quality in the players they were throwing too. Stanzi looked just as lost as last year. I highly highly doubt he is still on this team after the first cuts.

My boys got lots of autographs. The first was from Austen Lane, who worked on the sideline all day with an injury of some sort. Man the guy will make you feel insecure. He is a very big guy. Andy Reid also signed for a couple of minutes but he picked my little 4 year old out of the group and went to him first. Gotta love it when they make an impression on the kids.

jap1
08-15-2013, 12:43 AM
So was that pick by Flowers a bad throw/decision on Smith's part or a great play by Flowers?

Seek
08-15-2013, 08:28 AM
So was that pick by Flowers a bad throw/decision on Smith's part or a great play by Flowers?

It was a great break on the play by Flowers. The Chiefs had Tamba and Houston on the left side blitzing against Fisher. So Alex got rid of it quick and Flowers read it perfectly and jumped it half a second later and Flowers would have given up a huge play. It wasn't a great pass, but Flowers had to make a play on the ball and almost dropped it. He did return it for a TD.

matthewschiefs
08-15-2013, 02:59 PM
It was a great break on the play by Flowers. The Chiefs had Tamba and Houston on the left side blitzing against Fisher. So Alex got rid of it quick and Flowers read it perfectly and jumped it half a second later and Flowers would have given up a huge play. It wasn't a great pass, but Flowers had to make a play on the ball and almost dropped it. He did return it for a TD.

Tamba and Houston both against Fisher they are really working the rookie hard I like it How did Fisher hold up?????????

Seek
08-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Tamba and Houston both against Fisher they are really working the rookie hard I like it How did Fisher hold up?????????

On that particular play, just fine, but Alex got rid of the ball very quickly so there was not much to see. I only mention they blitzed both as I was noticing that thinking wow, they are going to shift around the d line to manufacutre presure and expose an offense when whoop there went flowers. Clearly that pressure worked.