PDA

View Full Version : To the Smith doubters

matthewschiefs
08-12-2013, 03:43 PM
I just want to here from you what will qualify as a good year from Smith for you. This mainly goes out to my good buddy MY MAN HALI. Put out there on the table what you will say will be a good year form Smith before the season starts. Lay out what you want to see so we know and can come back at the end of the season and see how he did.

Do try to be fair. Keep in mind that this was a 2 win team a year ago so super bowl or bust might just be a tad unrealistic.

Sick Dog
08-12-2013, 03:51 PM
I just want to here from you what will qualify as a good year from Smith for you. This mainly goes out to my good buddy MY MAN HALI. Put out there on the table what you will say will be a good year form Smith before the season starts. Lay out what you want to see so we know and can come back at the end of the season and see how he did.

Do try to be fair. Keep in mind that this was a 2 win team a year ago so super bowl or bust might just be a tad unrealistic.

Oh god he is going to look for Superbowl and league MVP:lol:

chiefnut
08-12-2013, 03:57 PM
60% completions, 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio, 8 wins, in the top 15 of least sacked would do quite nicely

Coach
08-12-2013, 04:15 PM
60% completions, 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio, 8 wins, in the top 15 of least sacked would do quite nicely
I think this is a very reasonable goal. I would love to see him find a way to stretch the field more than Cassel did as well so I will add 20 completions of 20 yards or more. I'd like to add staying healthy to the list as well(starting 16 games)

70 chiefsfan70
08-12-2013, 05:51 PM

To be fair, keep in mind we had 6 pro bowlers on the team as well.

MyManHali
08-12-2013, 08:31 PM
For possibly 2 second round picks, I expect:

3700 yards (The median for the league)

25 touchdowns (Cassel has had two 20 + td years)

Playoff win

Justin5772002
08-13-2013, 02:24 AM
For possibly 2 second round picks, I expect:

3700 yards (The median for the league)

25 touchdowns (Cassel has had two 20 + td years)

Playoff win

25 Tds should be very realistic since this is a pass happy team I say closer to 30 Tds 2 per gagame ant believe I'm saying this but MyMan is realistic here

mcclusterfan1982
08-13-2013, 02:35 AM
This team could end up 10-6, but they could also end up 7-9. Time will tell, but I am extremely excited about Alex Smith + Jamaal + Bowe!!!!

MyManHali
08-13-2013, 02:39 AM
This team could end up 10-6, but they could also end up 7-9. Time will tell, but I am extremely excited about Alex Smith + Jamaal + Bowe!!!!

Bowe won't be sniffing the ball this year.

AkChief49
08-13-2013, 02:40 AM
Man, My Man, that's a pretty tall order. We gave up a 1st round pick(got a third and Whitmore back) for Joe Montana and the best year here for him was a little under 3300 yds 16 tds and 9 ints.

There is really no direction but up for us. I'm as skeptical as the next guy about Alex, but I liked what I seen on that first series with NO. I know, it was NO Defense but, just the way Smith looked gave me a bastion of hope. I did not see a scared man (with "deer in the headlight" eyes) in the pocket, yes he checked down, but looked good doing it. He can scramble some. It seemed to me on a couple of those check downs that that was the plan. Looking down field and hitting the back in the flat. I'm okay with him not chucking the ball 60 yds. down the field very other down. This offense will take their shots, maybe after the D has been lulled into dink and dunk, but they'll take their shots. As long as they're winning, I do not care who gets the yards.

3000 yds. would be good
20 tds
making the playoffs would be definitely worth that 2nd- 2nd rounder.

MyManHali
08-13-2013, 02:42 AM
Man, My Man, that's a pretty tall order. We gave up a 1st round pick(got a third and Whitmore back) for Joe Montana and the best year here for him was a little under 3300 yds 16 tds and 9 ints.

There is really no direction but up for us. I'm as skeptical as the next guy about Alex, but I liked what I seen on that first series with NO. I know, it was NO Defense but, just the way Smith looked gave me a bastion of hope. I did not see a scared man (with "deer in the headlight" eyes) in the pocket, yes he checked down, but looked good doing it. He can scramble some. It seemed to me on a couple of those check downs that that was the plan. Looking down field and hitting the back in the flat. I'm okay with him not chucking the ball 60 yds. down the field very other down. This offense will take their shots, maybe after the D has been lulled into dink and dunk, but they'll take their shots. As long as they're winning, I do not care who gets the yards.

3000 yds. would be good
20 tds
making the playoffs would be definitely worth that 2nd- 2nd rounder.

3000 yards? They aren't playing Marty ball.

AkChief49
08-13-2013, 02:59 AM
3000 yards? They aren't playing Marty ball.

you're right
3300 yds- that's the San Fran total last year and was enough to get them in the show.
also a lot of those yds will be yac. I'm good with that. I just want to not be 2-14 again!!!!:smile

MyManHali
08-13-2013, 05:25 AM
you're right
3300 yds- that's the San Fran total last year and was enough to get them in the show.
also a lot of those yds will be yac. I'm good with that. I just want to not be 2-14 again!!!!:smile

Very smart man. Do you see this Chiefs Crowd? Here is a promising poster. There is hope!

chiefnut
08-13-2013, 09:50 AM
don't put so much stock in numbers [yds], Russell Wilson had more games that he threw for under 200yds than over and did not have a single 300yd game yet was a pretty darn effective qb and won them a lot of games. my main criteria is victories, I don't care if he throws for 300yds or 3yds as long as it translates into a win.

chiefnut
08-13-2013, 10:11 AM
there is too much importance placed on 300yds passing games, terry bradshaw only had 4 in his career, bob griese had 5, even Lenny Dawson only had 9 and they're all in the HOF.......dan fouts had 51 so don't say it was different back then, they were all from the same era just different coaches.

doobs_05
08-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Playoff win, and sadly that will the requirement for every QB that comes through here. KC gets to the playoffs, cool, now do something and not "one and done" it.

It's the same as being a braves fan from the 90s to the early 2000's, they get to the playoffs buts its not a big achievement when you do it year after year but have nothing to show for it.

Also, look at the AFC, the Wild Card spots are up for grabs by a bunch of teams (Cincy, Balt, Pitt(AFC North is anyones div imo), Ind, KC, SD, Miami, (maybe)Buff) I feel a 8-8 team will get wild card and i wouldn't be surprised if a 7-9 team gets the wild card spot

Also, if KC does get in the playoffs, get more yards than Cassel did in his playoff game.

Lord-Chiefy
08-13-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm not a doubter but anything over 10 wins is good. Over 12 great. Anything less then play offs sucks!!!!!

#58ChiefsFan
08-13-2013, 01:31 PM
16 games started.
Equal to or greater than the 90.7 rating he had in Harbaughs first year.

chiefnut
08-13-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm not a doubter but anything over 10 wins is good. Over 12 great. Anything less then play offs sucks!!!!! I would disagree....... anything over 8 wins would be good, anything over 10 wins great

MyManHali
08-13-2013, 05:30 PM
16 games started.
Equal to or greater than the 90.7 rating he had in Harbaughs first year.

You think 2 second round picks is worth a qb for a 90 rating? What about yards and touchdowns? Isn't that what a qb is supposed to do?

#58ChiefsFan
08-13-2013, 06:00 PM
You think 2 second round picks is worth a qb for a 90 rating? What about yards and touchdowns? Isn't that what a qb is supposed to do?

I didn't give up 2 second rounders for him, and there's nothing I can do about that. At a minimum I want to see Smith have the amount of success he had his first year with Reid as he did in SF. I'm not in the fantasy land of all the change here will lead to a playoff win this year, maybe it will and that would be amazing, but I cannot base one players success off that. Wins are more important than stats, 9 wins would be great, 8 wins good and 7 wins expected.

MyManHali
08-13-2013, 07:42 PM
I didn't give up 2 second rounders for him, and there's nothing I can do about that. At a minimum I want to see Smith have the amount of success he had his first year with Reid as he did in SF. I'm not in the fantasy land of all the change here will lead to a playoff win this year, maybe it will and that would be amazing, but I cannot base one players success off that. Wins are more important than stats, 9 wins would be great, 8 wins good and 7 wins expected.

This team won the division in 2010 and competed in 2011. Yes, Obviously they had an off year last year, but anything less than a playoff win would be a disappointment.

doobs_05
08-14-2013, 01:01 PM
saw this on another site and thought i would post it in the saints v. chiefs preseason thread but its gone.....but here you go

jumpin the gun a little early are we? Why don’t we compare Smiths drive with Cassels drive against AZ last year in the pre season
1-10-KC 28 (14:54) 7-M.Cassel pass short left to 22-D.McCluster to KC 35 for 7 yards (27-M.Adams).
2-3-KC 35 (14:44) 7-M.Cassel pass incomplete short right to 25-J.Charles.
3-3-KC 35 (14:39) (Shotgun) 7-M.Cassel pass short left to 22-D.McCluster to KC 44 for 9 yards (27-M.Adams).
1-10-KC 44 (14:03) 40-P.Hillis up the middle to KC 45 for 1 yard (55-S.Bradley; 24-A.Wilson).
2-9-KC 45 (13:20) 25-J.Charles up the middle to 50 for 5 yards (27-M.Adams).
3-4- (12:33) (Shotgun) 32O-S.Draughn right guard to ARI 47 for 3 yards (56-R.Walker).
4-1-ARI 47 (11:48) 7-M.Cassel up the middle to ARI 45 for 2 yards (93-C.Campbell)
1-10-ARI 45 (11:08) 25-J.Charles left guard to ARI 40 for 5 yards (92-D.Williams).
2-5-ARI 40 (10:25) 40-P.Hillis left guard to ARI 35 for 5 yards (93-C.Campbell).
1-10-ARI 35 (9:47) 7-M.Cassel pass incomplete short left to 89-J.Baldwin (23-W.Gay). PENALTY on ARI-92-D.Williams, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at ARI 35 – No Play.
1-10-ARI 20 (9:40) 40-P.Hillis right guard to ARI 13 for 7 yards (58-D.Washington).
2-3-ARI 13 (9:01) 25-J.Charles left end to ARI 11 for 2 yards (23-W.Gay).
3-1-ARI 11 (8:14) (Shotgun) 7-M.Cassel pass short left to 40-P.Hillis for 11 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
Cassel 5-6 for 67 yards TD
Smith 7-8 68 yards

MyManHali
08-14-2013, 03:35 PM
saw this on another site and thought i would post it in the saints v. chiefs preseason thread but its gone.....but here you go

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/lol.gif

Eydugstr
08-14-2013, 05:36 PM

My expectations for Alex Smith....3600 yards, 26 TD's. That's doable.

DMN
08-14-2013, 10:16 PM
A lot of great analysis here. I don't have very high expectations of our offense this season, mostly because I think there will be some gelling pains. I think Smith will take care of the ball (what he is known for) and LEAD this team. I think leadership is the greatest quality he brings to us. I think that we can all agree that last year our team gave up... and for me it was the hardest part to watch... more than the bad play calling and turnovers.

If we can really gel this season and turn this ship around with a 7 or 8 win season I feel that would be a huge.

mcclusterfan1982
08-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Herm Edwards said today on ESPN that he thinks the Chiefs will go either 9-7 or 10-6. I like his opinion much better than yours!

Justin5772002
08-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Alot of stuffed runs in that drive. The difference between this season and last is going to be ball position. How many times did our defense have to deal with short field match ups because our offense went 3 and out or INTERCEPTION? Way too many! Alex Smith is known for working the ball down the field slowly but also he doesn't turn it over. THAT'S WHAT THIS TEAM NEEDED. It allows our defense to do quality work and maybe get some defensive points on the board to help us out as well

Chiefster
08-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Bowe won't be sniffing the ball this year.

I would ask what you base this assertion on but it simply isn't worth it, so never mind. I will say that I think you just might be correct though, Bowe may well not sniff the ball this year but outright devour it.

ctchiefsfan
08-15-2013, 03:06 PM
I'll be disappointed if we don't go at least 7-9. 8-8 would just annoy me. 9-7 or better and I'll be happy. As mentioned earlier, I expect to see some "gelling pains" in the first several games.

From Smith....VERY LOW interception to attempt ratio. LOTS of first downs so very few 3 and outs and punting from deep in our own end of the field. At least twice as many TDs as INTs.

MyManHali
08-15-2013, 03:33 PM
I would ask what you base this assertion on but it simply isn't worth it, so never mind. I will say that I think you just might be correct though, Bowe may well not sniff the ball this year but outright devour it.

Simply compare 49er's number 1 WR Michael Crabtree's numbers with both Smith and Kaep:

Crabtree/Kaep- 595 yards 5 touchdowns in 7 games

Crabtree/Smith- 440 yards 3 touchdowns in 8 games

matthewschiefs
08-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Simply compare 49er's number 1 WR Michael Crabtree's numbers with both Smith and Kaep:

Yes because we will be running the 49ers offense Not Andy Reids

MyManHali
08-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Yes because we will be running the 49ers offense Not Andy Reids

Crabtree's stats clearly demonstrate that Smith will not throw very much to his number 1 WR.

matthewschiefs
08-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Crabtree's stats clearly demonstrate that Smith will not throw very much to his number 1 WR.

Here's what you leave out because you can never tell the whole story just what suits your opinion Crabtree wasn't a finsished product yet much of the time Smith was there. Year 1 he only played in 11 games. You didn't mention that. And each year as he grew into a NFL player his numbers got better.

Chiefster
08-15-2013, 03:54 PM

Well, I don't know that anything stated here is proof of your before mentioned assertion, but I'll go so far as to give you the benefit of the doubt and simply say that I'll wait until the season is well underway before concluding any inaccuracy thereof.

MyManHali
08-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Here's what you leave out because you can never tell the whole story just what suits your opinion Crabtree wasn't a finsished product yet much of the time Smith was there. Year 1 he only played in 11 games. You didn't mention that. And each year as he grew into a NFL player his numbers got better.

I gave you 2012 stats.

matthewschiefs
08-15-2013, 04:23 PM
I gave you 2012 stats.

First off in that stats post your number was off in games it was Smith 9 not 8

But there are a number of reasons that this could be outside Smith just didn't target his number 1 One Mario Manningham missed a few games in the time Kapernick was starting leaving one less WR to take Catches. 2 Vernon Davis just didn't seem to be in tune with Kapernick just yet but got better in the postseason with him. The Chiefs don't have a TE like Vernon Davis to throw to as much though they do have a good group of TEs. Bowe will get his catches The Chiefs would be stupid not to get him the ball relax dude

And you said the same thing about Mccluster and not playing last year he was the 2nd leading wr on the team.

chiefnut
08-15-2013, 04:45 PM
don't get be so concerned with passing yds, WR targets, TD passes etc.... lets just worry about winning games. lots of really good QBs were not at the top of the stat board but won a lot of games. most recently Russell Wilson.....from the past terry bradshaw, bob griese, only had 9 300yd passing games total between them, yet they won super bowls and are in the hall of fame. lets wait until smith has actually played in a couple of real games to see how he does. one offensive series in an exhibition game seems hardly worth the effort to type replies.

MyManHali
08-15-2013, 05:26 PM
First off in that stats post your number was off in games it was Smith 9 not 8

But there are a number of reasons that this could be outside Smith just didn't target his number 1 One Mario Manningham missed a few games in the time Kapernick was starting leaving one less WR to take Catches. 2 Vernon Davis just didn't seem to be in tune with Kapernick just yet but got better in the postseason with him. The Chiefs don't have a TE like Vernon Davis to throw to as much though they do have a good group of TEs. Bowe will get his catches The Chiefs would be stupid not to get him the ball relax dude

And you said the same thing about Mccluster and not playing last year he was the 2nd leading wr on the team.

I omitted the Rams game because Smith was injured.

No he won't. Smith will rely on his RB and TE for yards.

TopekaRoy
08-15-2013, 06:57 PM

Last year Smith passed for 174 ypg (7.97 ypa) and had a passer rating of 104.1

Kaepernack passed for 140 ypg (8.32 ypa) and had a passer rating of 98.3

Cassel passed for 200 ypg (6.48 ypa) and had a passer rating of 66.7

What is your point again?

matthewschiefs
08-15-2013, 07:30 PM
I omitted the Rams game because Smith was injured.

No he won't. Smith will rely on his RB and TE for yards.

2 Things 1st I don't think you can say Crabtree is on the level of a Bowe just yet. And you're basing your opinion on a very short sample size. If I only used 2010 numbers then I could say Cassel is a good qb but using a short sample size to say his numbers went up under Kapernick just isn't fair to say Smith doesn't throw to his number 1s.

and 2 the thing you IGNORE OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again is it really doesn't matter what he did with the niners. He was not playing in Andy Reids offense he was not playing with this group of around him. We don't know what this offense will be yet. We've seen 1 drive. The most meaningless drive a team will run all year. That drive was a td so while as I said it was the most meaningless drive they will run this year and you can't say he's the guy to take the Chiefs to the superbowl we can say nice start keep it up. What's so hard about that?

MyManHali
08-15-2013, 10:00 PM
2 Things 1st I don't think you can say Crabtree is on the level of a Bowe just yet. And you're basing your opinion on a very short sample size. If I only used 2010 numbers then I could say Cassel is a good qb but using a short sample size to say his numbers went up under Kapernick just isn't fair to say Smith doesn't throw to his number 1s.

and 2 the thing you IGNORE OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again is it really doesn't matter what he did with the niners. He was not playing in Andy Reids offense he was not playing with this group of around him. We don't know what this offense will be yet. We've seen 1 drive. The most meaningless drive a team will run all year. That drive was a td so while as I said it was the most meaningless drive they will run this year and you can't say he's the guy to take the Chiefs to the superbowl we can say nice start keep it up. What's so hard about that?

Alright, so let's analyze Smith in his one game with Reid. How many times was Bowe targeted last week?

matthewschiefs
08-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Alright, so let's analyze Smith in his one game with Reid. How many times was Bowe targeted last week?

IT WAS THE FIRST DRIVE OF THE PRESEASON

Do you really think they were running the full playbook? Coaches in the preseason run very Bland plays They don't want to run there full offense they are determined to give there 1st opponent as little to prepare as they possibly can. It's how coaches work. Like I said it's the most meaningless drive all year.

Actually I have to say I do agree with you I don't think we will see Bowe Sniff a ball all year. and by that I mean he won't put a ball up to his nose and sniff it. So I guess technically you're correct about that :)

MyManHali
08-15-2013, 10:16 PM
IT WAS THE FIRST DRIVE OF THE PRESEASON

Do you really think they were running the full playbook? Coaches in the preseason run very Bland plays They don't want to run there full offense they are determined to give there 1st opponent as little to prepare as they possibly can. It's how coaches work. Like I said it's the most meaningless drive all year.

Actually I have to say I do agree with you I don't think we will see Bowe Sniff a ball all year. and by that I mean he won't put a ball up to his nose and sniff it. So I guess technically you're correct about that :)

In a previous post you talked about Smith in Andy Reid's offense. I presented you with the only evidence that is available. I don't consider throwing to your number 1 WR "opening the playbook." I should back off for a second because whether or not Bowe gets touches doesn't mean much, it's how Alex Smith plays. I think tomorrow will tell us what the future may hold.

matthewschiefs
08-15-2013, 10:23 PM
In a previous post you talked about Smith in Andy Reid's offense. I presented you with the only evidence that is available. I don't consider throwing to your number 1 WR "opening the playbook." I should back off for a second because whether or not Bowe gets touches doesn't mean much, it's how Alex Smith plays. I think tomorrow will tell us what the future may hold.

Yes back off for a second.

Tomorrow will tell us slightly more then last week. Game 3 will give us a better idea of what we will see. It's the closest that we will see to a real game. Just calm down about Bowe not getting the ball. He will be a part of the offense. His numbers might drop some but He will still be a good part of the offense.

A meaningless drive isn't much to go on. Lets just say so far so good keep it up Smith. When/if he begins to struggle then we can start to worry until then just sit back and enjoy

MyManHali
08-15-2013, 10:25 PM

Tomorrow will tell us slightly more then last week. Game 3 will give us a better idea of what we will see. It's the closest that we will see to a real game. Just calm down about Bowe not getting the ball. He will be a part of the offense. His numbers might drop some but He will still be a good part of the offense.

A meaningless drive isn't much to go on. Lets just say so far so good keep it up Smith. When/if he begins to struggle then we can start to worry until then just sit back and enjoy

IDC about Bowe getting the ball, I just dont think he will. I know Bowe is pro bowl calibur.

MyManHali
08-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Last year Smith passed for 174 ypg (7.97 ypa) and had a passer rating of 104.1

Kaepernack passed for 140 ypg (8.32 ypa) and had a passer rating of 98.3

Cassel passed for 200 ypg (6.48 ypa) and had a passer rating of 66.7

What is your point again?

You're counting games where Kaep went in and ran the read option a couple of times and had 0-1 attempts. Look at games started between the two and then factor in his rushing yards since he is a dual threat quarterback for a proper comparison.

As far as Cassel and Smith go, he did have a good rating but he also threw for a ****ty average. So what, the guy is still a game manager.

But nice try.

Justin5772002
08-16-2013, 12:49 AM
Cassel would throw nothing but ints wasn't smart with the ball Alex is end of arguement

doobs_05
08-16-2013, 01:11 PM
We won't know until a few games into the season. I'm not pumping myself up for the season like last year

doobs_05
08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Also, i feel people are forgetting Alex is injure prone so we better have a good back up

chiefnut
08-16-2013, 01:38 PM
outside of MMH who really cares how many targets bowe and the other wr's get. isn't the idea to win the game, is it better to throw for 350yds, all to your wr's and lose or to throw for 200yds all to te's and rbs and win the game. as great as dan marino was, he never won a super bowl yet trent dilfer did. terry bradshaw during the reign of the steelers did not thro for many yds and the immaculate reception was not to a wr so I for one don't really give a rat patootie who he throws to as long as the CHIEFS have more points on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

doobs_05
08-16-2013, 06:47 PM
The idea is to win games, not numbers

Tebow

Chiefster
08-16-2013, 11:32 PM
The only stat that means anything is the one in the W/L column.

MyManHali
08-17-2013, 12:30 AM

Bowe has been targeted 1 time this entire preseason.

matthewschiefs
08-17-2013, 12:33 AM

Sorry read that wrong lol ingore this post I'm an idiot LOL

Chiefster
08-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Sorry read that wrong lol ingore this post I'm an idiot LOL

Admitting the problem is half the battle. j/k :lol:

DMN
08-17-2013, 09:39 AM

I may be off my rocker here but maybe... just maybe, Reid and Co. are using the PRESEASON to focus on and evaluate the unproven players on offense.

ctchiefsfan
08-17-2013, 10:04 AM
i may be off my rocker here but maybe... Just maybe, reid and co. Are using the preseason to focus on and evaluate the unproven players on offense.

what a concept!!!!!

kcvet
08-17-2013, 10:35 AM
its all up to the O line. looks like they had some pass block issues last night

matthewschiefs
08-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Admitting the problem is half the battle. j/k :lol:

Dude I'm married I no longer need help admitting the problem It's brought to my attention on a constant bases LOL

doobs_05
08-17-2013, 01:18 PM
http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/wtfalex.gif
http://i.imgur.com/b6D2HmR.gif

doobs_05
08-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Now those are only 2 plays tho, so take as you like

MyManHali
08-17-2013, 01:23 PM
See, that second gif is what I mean. It's a simple corner blitz that Smith should have picked up on, yet he completely runs the play as is with no pre snap adjustments/hot routes. It was like that the entire game.

This is horrible.

doobs_05
08-17-2013, 01:26 PM
See, that second gif is what I mean. It's a simple corner blitz that Smith should have picked up on, yet he completely runs the play as is with no pre snap adjustments/hot routes.

This is horrible. I can feel the excuses coming.

-preaseason

-those are just 2 plays

- you're nit picking

-the play was not designed for those other wrs

-he was pressured

-Can't look around when he has to scramble

-(more towards you my man) What has geno done (but i heard, from jets fans, he's looked way better than sanchez and ryan is in love with sanchez, probably because sanchez has sexier feet)

MyManHali
08-17-2013, 01:30 PM
-preaseason

-those are just 2 plays

- you're nit picking

-the play was not designed for those other wrs

-he was pressured

-Can't look around when he has to scramble

-(more towards you my man) What has geno done (but i heard, from jets fans, he's looked way better than sanchez and ryan is in love with sanchez, probably because sanchez has sexier feet)

It's called pre snap adjustments. Hot routes etc.. I am watching the game replay and I just saw Alex Smith take a 10 yard sack with the same exact blitz. He looks like a robot out there.

doobs_05
08-17-2013, 01:31 PM
It's called pre snap adjustments. Hot routes etc.. I am watching the game replay and I just saw Alex Smith take a 10 yard sack with the same exact blitz. He looks like a robot out there.

i was saying what the believers would of said, but one other thing, our Oline, i heard that they were facing blitz packages and stuff every day in practice yet they didn't seem to be able to stop it last night.....

MyManHali
08-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Yeah, they look like crap. Glad to see the acquisitions of Alex Smith and Eric Fisher seem to be paying off.

doobs_05
08-17-2013, 01:37 PM
I didn't really watch Fisher so i have no comment on that one

#58ChiefsFan
08-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Yeah, they look like crap. Glad to see the acquisitions of Alex Smith and Eric Fisher seem to be paying off.

I know right! Two guys that have been here a few months under a new coach and played two preseason games are struggling a bit. Good thing you decided its playoffs or bust so you can gloat at the end of the season.

TopekaRoy
08-17-2013, 04:57 PM
There is no excuse for the offense to struggle as much as it did last night.

It's true that Alex is playing on a new ream with a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator and a new-to-him offense, but they had already played a whole 14 play drive against an awesome Saints defense. It's not like they were playing the defending Super Bowl champs. The 49ers only won the NFC last year. There is no reason that starting superstar running back Knile Davis in place of pedestrian Jamaal Charles would be a setback for the offense. It is all Smith's fault that wide open receivers were dropping some of his perfectly thrown passes. I know opening day is still 3 weeks away, but the Chiefs might as well just cancel all of their practices between now and opening day. Why bother? If they aren't clicking on all cylinders yet, they never will. The Chiefs won two whole games last year with one of the worst offenses in the NFL. They should look like Super Bowl contenders by now.

/sarcastic rant

MMA/O, your expectations are completely unrealistic at this point. I expect the Chiefs to struggle even into the first couple of games of the regular season. By the 2nd quarter of the season, they should start to look pretty good, but not yet.

The good news is that their defense and special teams should keep games close even if the offense does not play at a very high level early on.

jap1
08-17-2013, 06:47 PM
That was a well timed blitz by the CB (I played and coach DBs, if my player timed it like that, I would be very happy). If you watch Smith's head he hikes the ball while he is looking to the right, which all QBs do from time to time to look for Pre-snap movement. Sometimes you miss the well timed blitz from the other side. So by the time he saw the blitzer, he needed to move. Yes, Baldwin was open but Smith was moving to his right and would have had to throw ACROSS his body to the other side of the field, exactly what we would criticize crappy QBs for doing.

Even if he saw the CB blitz coming, and saw that Baldwin was going to be wide open, look where Baldwin was and what route he ran. It was 3rd and 7. Baldwin ran a 3 yard slant/drag. Would be have been able to get the 1st? Maybe. Maybe Smith knew that wouldn't be enough for the first down so tried to hit the TE but threw a bad ball. At least his bad ball was where the D couldn't get to it.

In the first GIF, the defender is directly between him and the WR, any decent defender would easily knock that away. That having been said, he should have pump faked to see how the defender responded, then made a decision.

I'm not saying it was a great game. Smith's perfromance was average at best. But those examples are not ones I would use to crucify Smith.

matthewschiefs
08-17-2013, 06:53 PM
I know right! Two guys that have been here a few months under a new coach and played two preseason games are struggling a bit. Good thing you decided its playoffs or bust so you can gloat at the end of the season.

There is no excuse for the offense to struggle as much as it did last night.

It's true that Alex is playing on a new ream with a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator and a new-to-him offense, but they had already played a whole 14 play drive against an awesome Saints defense. It's not like they were playing the defending Super Bowl champs. The 49ers only won the NFC last year. There is no reason that starting superstar running back Knile Davis in place of pedestrian Jamaal Charles would be a setback for the offense. It is all Smith's fault that wide open receivers were dropping some of his perfectly thrown passes. I know opening day is still 3 weeks away, but the Chiefs might as well just cancel all of their practices between now and opening day. Why bother? If they aren't clicking on all cylinders yet, they never will. The Chiefs won two whole games last year with one of the worst offenses in the NFL. They should look like Super Bowl contenders by now.

/sarcastic rant

MMA/O, your expectations are completely unrealistic at this point. I expect the Chiefs to struggle even into the first couple of games of the regular season. By the 2nd quarter of the season, they should start to look pretty good, but not yet.

The good news is that their defense and special teams should keep games close even if the offense does not play at a very high level early on.

Well said by both

jap1
08-17-2013, 06:58 PM

Some teams limit the QB from making those adjustments. I'm not saying that is what Andy Reid does, but the lack of adjustments was concerning. Both from the OL and from Smith. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they didn't allow them to do that this year.

matthewschiefs
08-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Some teams limit the QB from making those adjustments. I'm not saying that is what Andy Reid does, but the lack of adjustments was concerning. Both from the OL and from Smith. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they didn't allow them to do that this year.

Even more so in the preseason NFL head coaches can be really paranoid about letting to much of there gameplan out before the season starts. That may be the case with Smith and Reid we just don't have that info

jap1
08-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Even more so in the preseason NFL head coaches can be really paranoid about letting to much of there gameplan out before the season starts. That may be the case with Smith and Reid we just don't have that info

Thanks, I meant to say limit the QB from making those adjustments IN PRESEASON. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that I left that out.

MyManHali
08-18-2013, 12:04 AM

So the head coach is going to limit the quarterback to not making the correct pre snap adjustments and pick up simple blitz packages? A recipe for injury.

That makes no sense at all.

matthewschiefs
08-18-2013, 01:03 AM
So the head coach is going to limit the quarterback to not making the correct pre snap adjustments and pick up simple blitz packages? A recipe for injury.

Head coaches limit pretty much everything in the preseason. They would even tell you that. And most teams don't run the Blitz packages much in the preseason or not nearly as much as what the niners did. And some of it was just the oline not doing there job or getting beat. Like the attempted screen pass where Smith threw it at the snap and was still drilled while throwing the pass when he had the ball less the 3 seconds. No adjustment would have stopped that. That was just piss poor O line play why is it so hard for you to talk about the failings of others besides Smith and Fisher?

and also tell me how you no for sure he wasn't making adjustments just because you didn't see any doesn't mean he wasn't some teams us verbal adjustments more then the physical ones. You go into these games looking for him to fail it's pretty clear. Your biased outlook may not be the fairest to judge if he was making adjustments or not. Maybe you just don't know the signals Maybe you just don't no the system. Unless you have a playbook. You're just assumeing this is the case you have no real proof of this. You are looking to nit pick everything you can because you don't like him. You're just proving that I was right when I said you won't give Smith a fair chance

jap1
08-18-2013, 06:51 AM

Some teams do, yes. I am not saying Reid limited Smith, just that it is a possibility. Some teams say no audibles. Some say only blitz pickups. Some say everything is available. I don't know Reid's style, and I did not watch closely enough to notice whether Smith and/or Hudson seemed to be calling out adjustments.

There are many reasons for this. First, they don't want to give other teams extra film to see how we adjust to certain defensive packages. Also, they want to limit the number of times certain audibles are called so that other teams cannot pick up on "black" means play X. This is a big deal to coaches. That was the whole reason behind the Patriot's spygate drama. They would have been able to pick-up on what their audibles meant, which means they would know exactly where a play is going. Some teams (maybe most?) hire lip readers to watch the other coaches mouths and the QBs mouths to try and decipher the codes. Additionally, a lot of the play calling is scripted in the preseason. They want to run certain plays in certain situations to evaluate specific players. The preseason is about evaluation, not winning. If you were a coach and in the preseason and running play XYZ netted an easy 10 yards, would you keep running it until they are able to stop it? No, you want to see what your other guys can do so you run all of your other plays.

Eydugstr
08-18-2013, 07:08 AM
That was a well timed blitz by the CB (I played and coach DBs, if my player timed it like that, I would be very happy). If you watch Smith's head he hikes the ball while he is looking to the right, which all QBs do from time to time to look for Pre-snap movement. Sometimes you miss the well timed blitz from the other side. So by the time he saw the blitzer, he needed to move. Yes, Baldwin was open but Smith was moving to his right and would have had to throw ACROSS his body to the other side of the field, exactly what we would criticize crappy QBs for doing.

I'm not saying it was a great game. Smith's perfromance was average at best. But those examples are not ones I would use to crucify Smith.

THIS. Agreed on all points. Smith wasn't great by any means, but if he'd chucked an INT it could've been a whole lot worse.

It's preseason. If anything I'd be more after the recievers/tight ends than the QB, there were way too many dropped passes. I'm amazed Baldwin still has a roster spot, but Reid seems pretty committed to giving him a chance.

MyManHali
08-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Head coaches limit pretty much everything in the preseason. They would even tell you that. And most teams don't run the Blitz packages much in the preseason or not nearly as much as what the niners did. And some of it was just the oline not doing there job or getting beat. Like the attempted screen pass where Smith threw it at the snap and was still drilled while throwing the pass when he had the ball less the 3 seconds. No adjustment would have stopped that. That was just piss poor O line play why is it so hard for you to talk about the failings of others besides Smith and Fisher?

and also tell me how you no for sure he wasn't making adjustments just because you didn't see any doesn't mean he wasn't some teams us verbal adjustments more then the physical ones. You go into these games looking for him to fail it's pretty clear. Your biased outlook may not be the fairest to judge if he was making adjustments or not. Maybe you just don't know the signals Maybe you just don't no the system. Unless you have a playbook. You're just assumeing this is the case you have no real proof of this. You are looking to nit pick everything you can because you don't like him. You're just proving that I was right when I said you won't give Smith a fair chance

I was talking about offense. Of course the coach gives the quarterback the freedom to make adjustments to pick up blitzes. He obviously wasn't making the right adjustments because everytime the niners blitzed he was under pressure and taking 10 yard sacks. Unfortunately for Alex Smith teams are not going to sit back in soft zones like the Saints did in week 1.

matthewschiefs
08-18-2013, 08:31 PM
I was talking about offense. Of course the coach gives the quarterback the freedom to make adjustments to pick up blitzes. He obviously wasn't making the right adjustments because everytime the niners blitzed he was under pressure and taking 10 yard sacks. Unfortunately for Alex Smith teams are not going to sit back in soft zones like the Saints did in week 1.

I know you were talking about offense and like I said coaches limit EVERYTHING in the preseason. And in 99% of preseason games you wouldn't see the blitz in the amount the niners were doing in the preseason.

And tell me what besides you didn't see it do you know that he wasn't making adjustments. Lets face facts Smith got drilled on pressure right up the middle on a play designed for a screen pass as soon as he got the ball. What play in the history of the NFL is designed for the Center to let that happen IT HAPPENED. The O line play was bad face it. That's not on Alex Smith no matter how much you want to pretend it is just because you can't get over the fact the Chiefs did not get the QB you wanted.

chiefnut
08-18-2013, 08:41 PM

Even if he saw the CB blitz coming, and saw that Baldwin was going to be wide open, look where Baldwin was and what route he ran. It was 3rd and 7. Baldwin ran a 3 yard slant/drag. Would be have been able to get the 1st? Maybe. Maybe Smith knew that wouldn't be enough for the first down so tried to hit the TE but threw a bad ball. At least his bad ball was where the D couldn't get to it.

In the first GIF, the defender is directly between him and the WR, any decent defender would easily knock that away. That having been said, he should have pump faked to see how the defender responded, then made a decision.

if you watch carefully in the upper right corner their is another defender 5 yds beyond baldwin, when alex is past his defender to make a throw, the deep defender would have easily closed on the ball/baldwin to make a play. it probably was a good decision to throw it away.

mcclusterfan1982
08-19-2013, 01:42 AM
if you watch carefully in the upper right corner their is another defender 5 yds beyond baldwin, when alex is past his defender to make a throw, the deep defender would have easily closed on the ball/baldwin to make a play. it probably was a good decision to throw it away.

What it comes down to is he is getting mad at Alex Smith for DOING THE RIGHT THING!!! Crazy. But, that is why Alex Smith is a starting qb in the nfl and this guy is....just your average know-it-all on the internet.

ctchiefsfan
08-19-2013, 02:33 PM
If I may, I think I should introduce a little reality here.

1) Smith led a very nice drive against New Orleans.

2) Smith looked considerably less than stellar against the 9ers.

3) Nothing shown so far to anoint him the second coming of Christ or to call out the lynching party.

4) He is our quarterback for better or worse for this season.

5) Some people hate him. Some love him. Smart people have a wait and see attitude. We'll find out over the course of a season. Not from 2 preseason games.

6) Since he is what we have for this season, I would hope that Chiefs fans will treat him fairly rather than desperately trying to drive home their opinions. If he shows he stinks, we'll all call for his head on a platter.

7) Hopefully the haters will admit if he turns out to do a good job. Got my doubts though.

Kolohe
08-19-2013, 06:43 PM
My prediction for Alex Smith:

3,300 yards 22 TD's 7 INT's

Dwayne Bowe 850 yards 4 TD's

Smith I think will do good his first year in a new offense managing games. He may not be the super star most had hoped, but he'll make others around him look much better, like he did with Gore and Vernon Davis. I'm willing to bet Anthony Fasano has more yards and catches than any receiver on your roster.

Lord-Chiefy
08-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Lol I was yelling at the tv on that wide open play ...

JPPT1974
08-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Hopefully Smith will get the respect he deserves in KC that was denied him in SF!