PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about the preseason shall we

matthewschiefs
08-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Preseason football is exactly for games like the Chiefs played last night. There's a reason no one wins preseason awards.

The preseason is for teams to get back in the flow of playing in games. It is also for teams to get the kinks out they are used for teams to get film on all there players so the coaches can go to work on what a given player needs to work on before the games start to count. It is for teams to get there rookies/new players use to playing with there new teams/teammates. It is for spots on the team to be won and lost and that's what the coaches work on most. They don't sit and watch hours of film of the upcoming team they're going to face. They are to busy watching film of there own guys so they can begin to figure out who they want on the final spots of there roster. They watch limited film of there next opponent and put together a very basic gameplan for that team. But nothing like they do in the real season.

A bad presesaon can't be completly ignored you have to work on the things you struggled on but it's results should be taken with a grain of salt. While there are some things that are of concern on this team right now they still have almost a month to work on those. The sky is not Falling just yet. RELAX

mcclusterfan1982
08-17-2013, 07:34 PM
We are relaxed! Played 49ers and Saints. This year, turnovers is key. We will have many close games. If we don't turn the ball over, we give ourselves a great chance to win most of the close games and go 9-7!!! Also, we have to hope that key players don't get injured. But, that is the name of the game. Every team has to hope that.

brdempsey69
08-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Personally, I will simply take things as they come with cautious optimism. Yes, there are areas of concern, but casting blame totally on Alex Smith and Eric Fisher for last nights Offensive futility is totally wrong. I will grant you that both need to do better than what we saw last night, but they had an awful lot of company from the rest of their Offensive compadres as far as not performing well.

#58ChiefsFan
08-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Agree with you Matthew.

Folks just remember as the protection got broke apart last night that Smith never panicked and continued to make good decisions, the rest of the issues can be coached. The biggest take away from last night is that Alex didn't crap the bed and did not turn the ball over.

Eydugstr
08-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Preseason football is exactly for games like the Chiefs played last night. There's a reason no one wins preseason awards.

The preseason is for teams to get back in the flow of playing in games. It is also for teams to get the kinks out they are used for teams to get film on all there players so the coaches can go to work on what a given player needs to work on before the games start to count. It is for teams to get there rookies/new players use to playing with there new teams/teammates. It is for spots on the team to be won and lost and that's what the coaches work on most. They don't sit and watch hours of film of the upcoming team they're going to face. They are to busy watching film of there own guys so they can begin to figure out who they want on the final spots of there roster. They watch limited film of there next opponent and put together a very basic gameplan for that team. But nothing like they do in the real season.

A bad presesaon can't be completly ignored you have to work on the things you struggled on but it's results should be taken with a grain of salt. While there are some things that are of concern on this team right now they still have almost a month to work on those. The sky is not Falling just yet. RELAX

No $#!+ there. To me preseason is more about roster spots/depth chart than anything. The only Chiefs coach that I ever saw that took the preseason seriously was Marty, especially when he first came to KC. After a few years even he began to take it less seriously and use it as a tool to sort out backups.

If anything, the sky isn't falling, but rather it's the limit. Reid didn't come here to make an 8-8 team.

rodu
08-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I have all but labeled Baldwin a bust now, I just have to cross the T, and it's a shame, we don't really have a good WR to play opposite Bowe, and if a TE can't step up and be a threat, our passing game will suffer

brdempsey69
08-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Chiefs rookie right tackle Eric Fisher described Friday night's game, his first experience at Arrowhead Stadium.

"Tonight was a big learning night for us," Fisher said.
"We missed on some plays; I missed on plays. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the win. There are things we need to improve on offense and we'll watch the film, see our mistakes and learn from them and come back next week and try to pull out the win."

At least Fisher has the integrity to admit that he could of played better, although he didn't play horrible by any means. But, at least he cares about the teams success as well as wanting to personally perform better.

BTW, am I the only one who has noticed that the Chiefs have not trailed in a game as of yet while Alex Smith and Eric Fisher have been on the field, nor turned the ball over?

Justin5772002
08-18-2013, 12:52 PM
The one job a receiver has is to catch the ball and Baldwin sure aient doing that, we have yet to see how Bowe works with Alex smith also once that matchup comes alive I think we will have more offensive success lets just hope that's game 1 of the season

Chiefster
08-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Chiefs rookie right tackle Eric Fisher described Friday night's game, his first experience at Arrowhead Stadium.

"We missed on some plays; I missed on plays. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the win. There are things we need to improve on offense and we'll watch the film, see our mistakes and learn from them and come back next week and try to pull out the win."

At least Fisher has the integrity to admit that he could of played better, although he didn't play horrible by any means. But, at least he cares about the teams success as well as wanting to personally perform better.

BTW, am I the only one who has noticed that the Chiefs have not trailed in a game as of yet while Alex Smith and Eric Fisher have been on the field, nor turned the ball over?

Excellent point and was obviously apparent especially in the game against NO.

brdempsey69
08-18-2013, 01:40 PM
One more thing -- we know that the Chiefs didn't gameplan coming into last Friday's game. Can the same be said of the 49ers from the defensive side of the ball? Did they not pull out all the stops with all-out blitzes? Damn right they did -- Harbaugh wanted to save face and didn't want Alex Smith to make him look bad and Harbaugh knew the Chiefs weren't gameplanning for it.

TopekaRoy
08-18-2013, 02:23 PM
One more thing -- we know that the Chiefs didn't gameplan coming into last Friday's game. Can the same be said of the 49ers from the defensive side of the ball? Did they not pull out all the stops with all-out blitzes? Damn right they did -- Harbaugh wanted to save face and didn't want Alex Smith to make him look bad and Harbaugh knew the Chiefs weren't gameplanning for it.
Not only that, but who knows Smith's, weaknesses, his tendencies and are even able to predict what he is going to do based on his body language, better than the defense that faced him in practice every day for several years? I know the Bears offense performs worst against their own defense because they know it so well that they can anticipate what is going to happen. That and Chicago has a really good defense. So does SF.

It's not surprising that Smith struggled a little bit, especially with all the blitzing. Who does that in preseason game 2? Harbaugh obviously took advantage of his familiarity with Smith to make him look bad.

ctchiefsfan
08-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Excellent points made by all! Sure I wish we had won the game. Sure I wish Smith had made a better showing. But there was nothing in that game to get too worried about. Preseason is for the coaches to learn what they need to work on and who stays on the roster. I wasn't happy with the SF game, but we're still a long way from yelling "ABANDON SHIP"!!!

Lord-Chiefy
08-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Pre season is almost a direct reflection of our team!!! We haven't won a game in years

matthewschiefs
08-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Pre season is almost a direct reflection of our team!!! We haven't won a game in years

If by years you mean last year in the pre season then sure we won the opener against the cards last season

Justin5772002
08-19-2013, 11:27 PM
I think we are all panicking for all the wrong reasons. I don't know if this teams can base can withstand another season like last season and that's what we are all afraid of... This is preseason we have a good team even all the any lists are predicting a wildcard for us. I think Andy Reid will make that happen one way or another no matter what happens he knows football and he knows how to get a team to the post season with not so much of the best players and we all agree we have solid players on both sides of the ball so relax let the season happen and enjoy rooting for your chiefs!!!

chiefnut
08-20-2013, 09:49 AM
I think we are all panicking for all the wrong reasons. I don't know if this teams can base can withstand another season like last season and that's what we are all afraid of... This is preseason we have a good team even all the any lists are predicting a wildcard for us. I think Andy Reid will make that happen one way or another no matter what happens he knows football and he knows how to get a team to the post season with not so much of the best players and we all agree we have solid players on both sides of the ball so relax let the season happen and enjoy rooting for your chiefs!!!

actually i am pleasantly surprised to see the lack of panic on the board, it is only preseason after all. on the CHIEFS first drive, a dropped pass, a missed blitzer, made the team look bad, and that was bad, but this should not be a problem during the season. on the firs defensive series an over pursuing hali and houston? allowed for a big gain instead of a loss. that will get corrected. colt mccoy scrambled for some big plays...again correctable. i was not as disappointed after i watched the replay of the game as i was reading the post game posts.

Chiefster
08-20-2013, 03:44 PM

...Good grief. :sign0023:

tornadospotter
08-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Time will tell the story it will, on the season to come. So far, I am rather more homer than before.

Lord-Chiefy
08-21-2013, 10:31 PM
We will see..but so far I see nothing to be optimistic about.

MyManHali
08-21-2013, 10:44 PM

They did trail during the SF game. And congratulations, Alex Smith and company struggled against the backups of San Fran.

MyManHali
08-21-2013, 11:00 PM

There we go! Finally a sensible opinion.

MyManHali
08-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Not only that, but who knows Smith's, weaknesses, his tendencies and are even able to predict what he is going to do based on his body language, better than the defense that faced him in practice every day for several years? I know the Bears offense performs worst against their own defense because they know it so well that they can anticipate what is going to happen. That and Chicago has a really good defense. So does SF.

It's not surprising that Smith struggled a little bit, especially with all the blitzing. Who does that in preseason game 2? Harbaugh obviously took advantage of his familiarity with Smith to make him look bad.

We'll see how he does against the Steelers.

TopekaRoy
08-21-2013, 11:12 PM
They did trail during the SF game.
Technically, you are correct. They did trail for 1 play (14 whole seconds) between the time SF scored a FG and Demps returned the following kick off for a td. 5:10 later Smith led the offense to the SF 28 for a FG and a 10-3 lead. I can live with that. brdempsey69, I mentioned in another thread that the starting offense has yet to turn the ball over.

brdempsey69
08-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Technically, you are correct. They did trail for 1 play (14 whole seconds) between the time SF scored a FG and Demps returned the following kick off for a td. 5:10 later Smith led the offense to the SF 28 for a FG and a 10-3 lead. I can live with that. brdempsey69, I mentioned in another thread that the starting offense has yet to turn the ball over.

I missed what you has said about not turning the ball over in another thread. Regarding what I had said not trailing, MMH didn't read the whole sentence as my exact words were:

"....the Chiefs have not trailed in a game as of yet while Alex Smith and Eric Fisher have been on the field "

Neither Smith or Fisher were on the on the field for the 49ers FG and the kickoff return TD that came on the following play, so to me, that doesn't count. So technically, I'm still correct. The point is the Chiefs were leading both games when these men were done for the day. We have yet to see either Smith or Fisher on the field with the Chiefs trailing in a ball game & Smith and Fisher and the rest of the Offense go out on the field.

texaschief
08-22-2013, 01:12 AM
The Chiefs have won both first halves of the preseason... that's all that matters to me. I don't care that NO scored 2 TD's on a 4th string CB. I don't care that the players who the Chiefs will cut this week coughed up the win late in the 4th against SF. Losing preseason games in the 4th quarter isn't something to be worried about.

If the Chiefs were getting their a$$es handed to them while the 1s were on the field, I'd actually give a sh!t. But that's not happening.

You have to desperately be looking for something to complain about when you're complaining that your 2-14 team is ONLY beating the defending NFC champ and a top 3 defense by a touchdown at the half.

Some of y'all are ridiculous and need to gain some perspective.

Chiefster
08-22-2013, 08:33 AM
The Chiefs have won both first halves of the preseason... that's all that matters to me. I don't care that NO scored 2 TD's on a 4th string CB. I don't care that the players who the Chiefs will cut this week coughed up the win late in the 4th against SF. Losing preseason games in the 4th quarter isn't something to be worried about.

If the Chiefs were getting their a$$es handed to them while the 1s were on the field, I'd actually give a sh!t. But that's not happening.

You have to desperately be looking for something to complain about when you're complaining that your 2-14 team is ONLY beating the defending NFC champ and a top 3 defense by a touchdown at the half.

Quoted for truth! Rep!

jap1
08-22-2013, 04:35 PM

I agree, but I also see nothing to be pessimistic about yet either.

matthewschiefs
08-23-2013, 10:42 AM
We'll see how he does against the Steelers.

The game day thread was closed so I will respond to that post and this post here

on the gameday thread So pretty much you can't answer the point on how Manning struggled last year in the preseason so you just don't want to talk about it. And no one wrote him off it was just noted that it was no sure thing he would be the old Peyton coming off 4 neck surgeries. Which was the truth. Now I ask you If Smith isn't any good then why do you hold him to a higher standard then Manning? Once again your double standards are clear.
Furthermore it's good to see you're already making excuses for why the Chiefs would win the first game of the year

On the post in this thread. If you want to judge anyone by the preseason this is the game to do it. It's much closer to a real game then anything we have seen just now. If you listen to Andy Reids press confernce on kcchiefs.com he talks about how this game they do more gameplanning for the Steelers then any other team they have faced. This still isn't the real thing but if you want to rush to judge based on preseason then this is the game to do it on. I myself will wait till the real deal before I start to judge

matthewschiefs
08-23-2013, 10:44 AM

I ask the mods to change the system I can only give this a thumbs up once which is not enough.

doobs_05
08-23-2013, 12:39 PM
chiefs won won 7-3 (or was it 7-0, or did that punt team come in after starters were sat..) with first strings against SF starters....for one series. Then struggled to do much with the second strings and 3rd strings out there (on offense) and KC D stopped second and 3rd stringers

7 points came from the punt return

The one BIG ISSUE that we don't know is fixed or not is half time adjustments

ctchiefsfan
08-23-2013, 01:15 PM
At this point the truth is we have almost no real idea how Smith will turn out. We have seen him do pretty well for one drive against a weak defense and we have seen him do not so well against a defense that knew him like the back of their hand and was blitzing him like crazy. We just don't really know much. However, I do know one thing......he is never going to be known as "The Mad Bomber".

As I have said before, he is our QB now for better or worse and we don't have much behind him on the depth chart so I think as fans of the Chiefs we need to support him and hope for the best.

brdempsey69
08-23-2013, 01:22 PM
At this point the truth is we have almost no real idea how Smith will turn out. We have seen him do pretty well for one drive against a weak defense and we have seen him do not so well against a defense that knew him like the back of their hand and was blitzing him like crazy. We just don't really know much. However, I do know one thing......he is never going to be known as "The Mad Bomber".

As I have said before, he is our QB now for better or worse and we don't have much behind him on the depth chart so I think as fans of the Chiefs we need to support him and hope for the best.

Spot on.

BTW, as for the "MAD BOMBER" part, I take it that you may have seen Daryle Lamonica (Mad Bomber was his nickname) in his heyday with the Raiders from 1967-1970. You are quite right, Alex Smith is not going to go for broke and heave the ball 60 yards down the field every other play like Lamonica seemingly did in those days.

texaschief
08-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Speaking of a "mad bomber"... is there anyone in camp that you're more excited about than Tyler Bray?? The consensus in the draft was this kid is the protypical NFL QB when it came to physical ability, but his immaturity kept him from being drafted. If that's being addressed... could we be looking at the future of this franchise?? Chase Daniel is a good backup for Alex Smith, but he's not the heir apparent. Tyler Bray has the tools to be something special in this league.

MyManHali
08-23-2013, 08:09 PM

But our first string offense looked bad against the niner backups the entire half. Their defensive starters were out after our first possession on offense. We scored 6 points, and 3 of those points were on a 15 yard "drive." Why does everyone ignore this? Our first string offense scored 6 points and their backup offense against our starting defense which featured their third string quarterback scored 3 points.

It's rather sad.

matthewschiefs
08-23-2013, 08:39 PM
But our first string offense looked bad against the niner backups the entire half. Their defensive starters were out after our first possession on offense. We scored 6 points, and 3 of those points were on a 15 yard "drive." Why does everyone ignore this? Our first string offense scored 6 points and their backup offense against our starting defense which featured their third string quarterback scored 3 points.

It's rather sad.

Why do you ignore IT'S PRESEASON

Last night Brady and the Pats got hammered by the lions so Brady sucks? The Pats should just pack it in and go home? Or is it only the Chiefs that the preseason counts?

MyManHali
08-23-2013, 08:45 PM

Last night Brady and the Pats got hammered by the lions so Brady sucks? The Pats should just pack it in and go home? Or is it only the Chiefs that the preseason counts?

Did Brady play the backup scrubs?

matthewschiefs
08-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Did Brady play the backup scrubs?
ummmmm compared to the niners d the lions is pretty bad the niners D is loaded and again ITS PRESEASON

MyManHali
08-23-2013, 10:15 PM
ummmmm compared to the niners d the lions is pretty bad the niners D is loaded and again ITS PRESEASON

How is the backup d for the Niners loaded?

matthewschiefs
08-23-2013, 10:43 PM
How is the backup d for the Niners loaded?

I didn't say it was I said the niners d was loaded. They are a lot deeper then other teams defense. The Lions were ranked 27th in the nfl last year the pats got killed by them so All I ask is you to hold every one else to the same standard you hold the Chiefs players to so Brady and the pats suck right?

Justin5772002
08-23-2013, 11:50 PM
TEXASCHIEF!!!! Long time no see buddy. WB!

ctchiefsfan
08-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Spot on.

BTW, as for the "MAD BOMBER" part, I take it that you may have seen Daryle Lamonica (Mad Bomber was his nickname) in his heyday with the Raiders from 1967-1970. You are quite right, Alex Smith is not going to go for broke and heave the ball 60 yards down the field every other play like Lamonica seemingly did in those days.

Oh yes....I remember Lamonica! Blanda too. QB and kicker was an interesting combination.

ctchiefsfan
08-24-2013, 09:39 AM

Because that is what he does....ignores anything that does not boost whatever argument he is making.

texaschief
08-24-2013, 02:14 PM

It's rather sad.

I just finished watching the first half of that game. SF played most of their defensive starters throughout the first half. Not sure what the hell you're talking about. But you're right... the offense didn't look good. It's almost like they treated it like a preseason game and didn't game plan for all those exotic blitz packages. In fact, the Chiefs offense looked so bad, it was almost as if they were missing their Pro Bowl RB that ran for 1500 yards last season and was targeted 8 of the 14 plays in the TD scoring drive in NO. But we all know that's not true, so I guess the Chiefs are just gonna suck this year since there's no answers as to why they were losing so badly to a Super Bowl team in the first half of the 2nd preseason game...

ROTFLMAO... just kidding! I forgot that the Chiefs didn't game plan for SF, Charles DID NOT play, AND THEY WERE WINNING!

bwahahahahaha!

MyManHali
08-24-2013, 07:33 PM
I just finished watching the first half of that game. SF played most of their defensive starters throughout the first half. Not sure what the hell you're talking about. But you're right... the offense didn't look good. It's almost like they treated it like a preseason game and didn't game plan for all those exotic blitz packages. In fact, the Chiefs offense looked so bad, it was almost as if they were missing their Pro Bowl RB that ran for 1500 yards last season and was targeted 8 of the 14 plays in the TD scoring drive in NO. But we all know that's not true, so I guess the Chiefs are just gonna suck this year since there's no answers as to why they were losing so badly to a Super Bowl team in the first half of the 2nd preseason game...

ROTFLMAO... just kidding! I forgot that the Chiefs didn't game plan for SF, Charles DID NOT play, AND THEY WERE WINNING!

bwahahahahaha!

Parys Harrelson? Craig Dahl? Zach Diles? Parish Cox? Spilman? Wilhoite?

Backups homer.

Chiefster
08-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Well a win against the Steelers feels nice!

texaschief
08-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Parys Harrelson? Craig Dahl? Zach Diles? Parish Cox? Spilman? Wilhoite?

Backups homer.

Show me ANY game in the history of football where the ones played EVERY SINGLE SNAP of the first half. Backups play... it's called depth... dumba$$

Lord-Chiefy
08-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Well what I have seen so far has been great in sparks. Hopefully when we've been bad it was only because it was preseason and we were experimenting. With Charles in the backfield it's a totally different team. And I love what special teams are doing.

matthewschiefs
08-24-2014, 12:22 AM
I Just thought I would give everyone a reminder that this took looked pretty damn bad in the preseason a year ago.

While I do still fully expect this team to be on the outside looking in playoff time lets not declare the season over just yet. They still have 2 weeks to get things worked out. As bad as it looked tonight they can still fix things. They did a year ago much to all of our surprises. We are not dead yet. Though I do think we are in serious need of medical attention we are not dead. GO CHIEFS

Ryfo18
08-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Pretty sure the #1 offense still hasn't scored a TD this preseason.

brdempsey69
08-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Pretty sure the #1 offense still hasn't scored a TD this preseason.

Pretty sure that Bowe and Charles haven't been on the field all the time while the #1 Offense was on the field.

ctchiefsfan
08-24-2014, 01:45 PM
I Just thought I would give everyone a reminder that this took looked pretty damn bad in the preseason a year ago.

While I do still fully expect this team to be on the outside looking in playoff time lets not declare the season over just yet. They still have 2 weeks to get things worked out. As bad as it looked tonight they can still fix things. They did a year ago much to all of our surprises. We are not dead yet. Though I do think we are in serious need of medical attention we are not dead. GO CHIEFS

Thanks for reviving this thread! A very timely reminder that some of us were in panic mode right about this time last year. And last year turned out to be not too bad. Lots of things have me worried this year. But we have a real coach, a real GM, the best special teams coach in the NFL and a pretty decent defense coach. I expect this year to not be as good as last year. We're rebuilding. But my hand is nowhere near the panic button.

matthewschiefs
08-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Pretty sure that Bowe and Charles haven't been on the field all the time while the #1 Offense was on the field.

THIS

While the offense is a concern and can't just be ignored it also has to be kept in perspective. They have had there full offense very little so far. Charles hasn't played much at all which will change when the games start counting. His injury in the real season wouldn't be keeping him out of games.

It's still to early to push that panic button but you may want to make sure you know where that panic button is.

brdempsey69
08-24-2014, 03:27 PM
THIS

While the offense is a concern and can't just be ignored it also has to be kept in perspective. They have had there full offense very little so far. Charles hasn't played much at all which will change when the games start counting. His injury in the real season wouldn't be keeping him out of games.

It's still to early to push that panic button but you may want to make sure you know where that panic button is.

The Chief problem ( pun intended ) with the 1st team Offense, is that they can't put the ball into the end zone once they get close, but Charles has only been on field for one of those instances. Therefore, it is apparent that the Chiefs need other guys to step up as playmakers in the red zone.

matthewschiefs
08-24-2014, 03:38 PM
The Chief problem ( pun intended ) with the 1st team Offense, is that they can't put the ball into the end zone once they get close, but Charles has only been on field for one of those instances. Therefore, it is apparent that the Chiefs need other guys to step up as playmakers in the red zone.

Yep
But just having Charles on the field alone will be a huge help. The defense has to respect him and that will help open things up for one of the other guys. Again Perspective Charles is a game changer they haven't had him much in the preseason with a foot bruise that will change when the games start counting. Charles is a difference maker having him on the field will be a huge help by itself.

ctchiefsfan
08-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Red zone punch has been a problem for almost as many years as I can count. (There have been some notable exceptions). But if JC and Bowe stay healthy and and one of our tight ends truly steps up I think we'll do very well in the red zone.

Something worth remembering is that Reid likes to play his cards very close to his chest. We are not currently seeing even 30% of the crazy offensive schemes he has planned.

brdempsey69
08-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Now, as for the 1st team Defense last night, I couldn't help but cringe when Cassel connected on that long TD pass, plus Adrian Peterson wasn't on the field. So, it hard to say what they have Defensively. And Berry's injury may be worse than what was initially thought, which could be a problem, if someone doesn't step up to take his place.

matthewschiefs
08-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Now, as for the 1st team Defense last night, I couldn't help but cringe when Cassel connected on that long TD pass, plus Adrian Peterson wasn't on the field. So, it hard to say what they have Defensively. And Berry's injury may be worse than what was initially thought, which could be a problem, if someone doesn't step up to take his place.

I'm very worried about the Berry thing It just doesn't look good right now. As for the defense I have yet to see anything change my mind about them. I think they are going to struggle greatly at times

brdempsey69
08-24-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm very worried about the Berry thing It just doesn't look good right now. As for the defense I have yet to see anything change my mind about them. I think they are going to struggle greatly at times

I believe so, as well. Precisely why the Chiefs need to find a way to get their Offense untracked because the Defense most likely isn't going to be able carry the team through the 1st half of the schedule in 2014, like they did in 2013.

Eydugstr
08-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Red zone punch has been a problem for almost as many years as I can count. (There have been some notable exceptions). But if JC and Bowe stay healthy and and one of our tight ends truly steps up I think we'll do very well in the red zone.

Something worth remembering is that Reid likes to play his cards very close to his chest. We are not currently seeing even 30% of the crazy offensive schemes he has planned.

THIS. Last preseason, they were not playing very many formations at all on offense, then when regular season hit we'd see four or five different "looks" in one possession alone? He's going to do what he can to keep everyone guessing.

ctchiefsfan
08-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Y'know.....there is no doubt that our defense is going to struggle this year. In a way they did last year. Last year they got TORCHED on a regular basis....and they also had a lot of picks.

Sutton's defensive scheme is HUGELY aggressive. He wants somebody in the enemy QB's face in less than 2 seconds. And that's great when it works. But if you are going to run that kind of defense (and I think it's a good defense) you still need some kind of decent secondary. And I am not sure we have one.

I suspect we will need to score a LOT of points to win games this year. And that means that with Alex at QB and Reid as coach we need an ash-kicking tight end. We could REALLY use a 25 year old TG right now. And we will need JC to stay healthy and Bowe to start earning his money.

There is a lot of hope left in this season......but if we are to have any hope of making a run for the playoffs we will need a lot of things to line up "just right".

Like last year this is a rebuilding season. But I'm not sure it will turn out as well as last year.