PDA

View Full Version : Is Knile Davis the next Devin Hester?

TopekaRoy
08-25-2013, 12:12 AM
I know it's only preseason, but look at these stats:

In game one Davis returned a kick for 79 yds.

In game 3 he returned 2 kicks for 129 yds. One of those went 109 yds which is as far as you can go. One more yd would have put the kick through the end zone and made it unreturnable.

That's 208 yds in 3 attempts (69.67 yds per return). It's hard to do much better than that.

If he's not Devin Hester, He's at least Dante Hall, isn't he?

Discuss ...

Eydugstr
08-25-2013, 06:41 AM
If he keeps that up during the regular season...everyone's going to be looking for the next Knile Davis...

If he can catch a pass as well he runs kickoff returns...He'll make an excellent 3rd down back. Really like the idea of having Davis and McCluster pulling kickoff/punt return duty.

#58ChiefsFan
08-25-2013, 06:45 AM
I don't know if he's Dante Hall, I have yet to see him juke people out of their cleats the way X could. I do like the potential I see in his ability.

Coach
08-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Knife Davis better learn how to hang to the football if he's gonna return knockoffs. All of our kick returners look improved under David Toub. This is great news. If we have a strong return game to complement Colquit and Succop we will be in a lot of games. It can change momentum in a game in a huge way. I'm sure everyone remembers McCluster's return against the Chargers on MNF. We need all 3 phases working to compete with the big dogs.

nigeriannightmare
08-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Sports illustrated did a huge spread on him last year talking about the injuries he suffered in high school and college and the tremendous work ethic he has. So glad he's a chief. Devin Hester I don't know but he's gonna put us in some good situations for sure.

brdempsey69
08-25-2013, 11:10 AM
He's already proved himself to be a dangerous kick returner. I'm curious to see how he develops as a RB. It took Jamaal Charles a season and a half to arrive as a RB. The fumble that occurred last night was the result of a good hatchet job by a Steeler defender, so he's going to have to learn to hang on to the ball a little bit tighter, but he's shown flashes as a runner and a receiver out of the backfield & you can't coach the type of speed that he has.

Many thought that Davis was a wasted pick on draft day, but the Chiefs did need another speed RB and he was the fastest on the board, so it made sense to me.

ctchiefsfan
08-25-2013, 11:16 AM
The only question mark about him is hanging onto the football. If he can do that he will be very important to us.

jap1
08-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Is he going to be a great kick returner for us? YES! But I wouldnt compare him to Dante Hall or Devin Hester because they are a different type of return man. Those guys made the plays with their ability to change direction on a dime and juke people. Davis is running straight ahead and just has great vision to see where the holes are/are going to be and uses his speed to make it to those holes.

Our return game is going to be very dominant. Either people are going to stop kicking it deep (which means decent field position), or they are going to be very worried about our return game breaking one deep.

Seek
08-26-2013, 09:27 AM
How much of it is Davis or just our special teams in general. David Toub appears to be the best signing so far this year.

Frankenchief
08-27-2013, 12:09 AM
The only question mark about him is hanging onto the football. If he can do that he will be very important to us.

As I recall that was the knock against one Jamaal Charles too.

jap1
08-27-2013, 12:21 AM
How much of it is Davis or just our special teams in general. David Toub appears to be the best signing so far this year.

Another reason I am hesitating to declare him a great return man.

My biggest fear long term is that our special teams are going to look ridiculously awesome this year, and Toub is going to get pulled away to become a head coach somewhere. There were talks that he wouldn't want to work in KC as ST coach because he was a candidate for HC elsewhere.

TopekaRoy
08-27-2013, 07:57 AM

My biggest fear long term is that our special teams are going to look ridiculously awesome this year, and Toub is going to get pulled away to become a head coach somewhere. There were talks that he wouldn't want to work in KC as ST coach because he was a candidate for HC elsewhere.

I don't know about that. Toub was with the Bears for 9 years ('04-'12) and would have been there a 10th year if they hadn't fired Lovie Smith. I think the only reason we got him is because he worked with Reid in college.

Toub was interviewed by Miami for the HC position but didn't get the job. It seems like GMs always want an "offensive guy" of a "defensive guy" (or a former head coach). I think he could be with the Chiefs for a long time, but it's gonna cost them.

Seek
08-27-2013, 08:17 AM

If that is the case, why is he just a ST coach and not an assistant HC or something in addition.

jap1
08-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Not sure. But he did interview for the Bears job last year before signing with us, and for the Miami job in 2011. Maybe he is just satisfied with being the best at what he is good at. I hope that is the case and we keep him here a long time.

jap1
08-27-2013, 08:41 AM
I don't know about that. Toub was with the Bears for 9 years ('04-'12) and would have been there a 10th year if they hadn't fired Lovie Smith. I think the only reason we got him is because he worked with Reid in college.

Toub was interviewed by Miami for the HC position but didn't get the job. It seems like GMs always want an "offensive guy" of a "defensive guy" (or a former head coach). I think he could be with the Chiefs for a long time, but it's gonna cost them.

He was one of the guys that the Bears interviewed for HC. I dont think he is likely to become a HC, but I can see a scenario where he becomes one.

Seek
08-27-2013, 08:52 AM
He has not coached anything but ST. If he is going to be a HC, he needs more experience coaching than just Special Teams. I could see Andy giving him more responsibilities and allow for mentorship making the KC job attractive.

Miller
08-27-2013, 09:55 AM
The only thing that will go against him is that Reid wanted EVERY kick returned in the preseason to see what he had. I don't think he is going to get the chance to return many in the regular season

Frankenchief
08-30-2013, 01:49 PM
After watching last night's game I'm still not that impressed with Knile Davis. Aside from the one big return what has there been to get excited about? He seems to constantly hit small holes and get stopped. I think his fumbles could be coached out of him (ala Jamaal) but his vision or shortage thereof concerns me a bit.