PDA

View Full Version : Chase Daniel = Tyler Palko

Frankenchief
08-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Oops I made a mistake. I meant to say Chase Daniel < Tyler Palko

Tyler Bray is still raw, so if Alex Smith goes down this season we are royally screwed.

Chiefster
08-30-2013, 08:24 AM
I don't know, has Daniel or Bray either one taken any snaps with the first team offense?

Coach
08-30-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm calling bs. Nobody is worse than Tyler Palko. Period.

Sick Dog
08-30-2013, 09:38 AM
It was a few series...he looked good against the Steelers...step back from the ledge.

Frankenchief
08-30-2013, 12:52 PM
I know Daniel has some KC followers due to the geography of his college career. In some posters' eyes my statement is borderline sacrilegious. But denying the fact that he is anything more than Tyler Palko is just blind local homerism. Sorry guys. But committing fairly big money to Daniel was a big mistake IMO. Sadly, I don't think they are in a position to bring in a QB let go by another team because of that very commitment. I will not belabor my point any further, but I think his play, if we are unlucky enough to require it this season, will prove my point.

On the other side of the coin I saw Tyler Bray grow in front of our eyes. His confidence seem to grow leaps and bounds with every play. I'm not saying this because of the 3 TD passes and the short FG drive. I'm basing it on the eye test. He is still raw and has ways to go, but if they manage to mature his head up, we may just have our QBOTF in house.

As for this season, though, let's hope for total health for Alex Smith. Our raw rookie and our Palko.2 will not save our *** in Alex goes down.

chiefnut
08-30-2013, 12:57 PM
chase looked ok up till the GB game so I am not worried, he should not have thrown the first pick but that was a breakdown on that blitz, I believe the running back was supposed to chip any blitzing LBs before going out

Frankenchief
08-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Unfortunately with the points about Chase "looking OK" you have to consider that Tyler Palko occasionally "looked OK" too. They both look(ed) like college QBs trying to play the pro game.

brdempsey69
08-30-2013, 01:41 PM
The best case scenario if for Bray to mature and develop and beat Daniel out of the #2 position in 2014, and then have Bray challenge for the #1 job in 2015. Mark it down.

jason1981
08-30-2013, 01:54 PM
I think bray outplayed daniels this preseason but itsbhard to conpare cuz diferent personal on both sides

Frankenchief
08-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Bray seems to have the basic physical tools, raw as they still are. But he may have a Grbac-like immaturity. If I'm right with this (worst scenario) guess he will never amount to anything. Some people are immature to the core (Ryan Leaf anyone?), and some are just a product of some wildness of youth that they'll eventually come out of. For his sake and for the Chiefs sake let's hope Bray is the latter.

Frankenchief
08-30-2013, 01:57 PM
I think bray outplayed daniels this preseason but itsbhard to conpare cuz diferent personal on both sides

Not really last night.

MyManHali
08-30-2013, 08:13 PM
We have to face the fact that Alex Smith is injury prone and if he goes down, we are in serious trouble.

jason1981
08-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Mymani hali seriously shut up already. Since when has alex been injury prone. The only thing we have to face a fact on is your hatred for alex smith. Yet another threae our bashing alex. He is not injury prone but if he does go down yeah I hope we turn to bray instead of daniels.

jap1
08-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Mymani hali seriously shut up already. Since when has alex been injury prone. The only thing we have to face a fact on is your hatred for alex smith. Yet another threae our bashing alex. He is not injury prone but if he does go down yeah I hope we turn to bray instead of daniels.

He has had concussions keep him out for a few weeks (although in retrospect last year they may have dragged their feet on clearing him on purpose) and he had shoulder injuries in his first couple of years. Injury prone may be pushing it, but he hasn't been the example of perfect health either.

jap1
08-30-2013, 09:19 PM
chase looked ok up till the GB game so I am not worried, he should not have thrown the first pick but that was a breakdown on that blitz, I believe the running back was supposed to chip any blitzing LBs before going out
When I watched that first pick, the receiver (Jenkins?) stumbles just as Daniels is releasing the ball. Had he not stumbled, that ball would have hit Jenkins in stride, and the angle Jenkins had means he would have been in front if the defender. But, woulda coulda shoulda ... He didn't play great in the rest of that game, I will give you that one.

MyManHali
08-30-2013, 10:27 PM

I said he is injury prone which is true. I then said if he goes down we are in trouble, is that not a compliment?

Eydugstr
08-30-2013, 11:37 PM
The best case scenario if for Bray to mature and develop and beat Daniel out of the #2 position in 2014, and then have Bray challenge for the #1 job in 2015. Mark it down.

THIS. Agreed. Give Bray a year or so to soak up Reid's offense, and let the front office get some other pieces in place (Stellar wide reciever to complement Bowe, tight end that doesn't spend his career on the PUP list, another great tackle, guard or center...) and then let him challenge Daniels for #2.

Whenever anyone starts complaining about Daniel's paycheck...My thought is this: It's a business. Don't think for a second that Daniel or his agent haven't guessed at the fact that Reid would draft/pick up a rookie FA QB and develop him. If you're going to be doing a job which might be short-lived, you're going to want to get the most money you can, right?

Eydugstr
08-30-2013, 11:45 PM
We have to face the fact that Alex Smith is injury prone and if he goes down, we are in serious trouble.

Guess it all depends on what your definition of "injury prone" is. My definiton of injury prone is Tony Moeaki & Brodie Croyle. Guys that looked tough in the posters, but somehow managed to find the rehab room instead of the field.

brdempsey69
08-31-2013, 12:17 AM
THIS. Agreed. Give Bray a year or so to soak up Reid's offense, and let the front office get some other pieces in place (Stellar wide reciever to complement Bowe, tight end that doesn't spend his career on the PUP list, another great tackle, guard or center...) and then let him challenge Daniels for #2.

Exactly my thought. They could still use a couple of Pro Bowlers in the middle of their O-Line and another stellar WR, but I also won't forget the Defensive side of the ball to keep adding talent there, as well. Especially the Defensive front 7, although they aren't looking too bad as it stands, now -- the depth looks better there than in recent years.

jason1981
08-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Well by saying hes Injury prone is you trying to mwke a jab at him. Which is not true. If hes only jad a couple concussions and a shoulder I.jury then that is not injury prone. I dont believe you can count concussions as mwking you I.jury prone cuz anyone who gets hit can get a concussion. Concussion is more of a circumstance than on the individual. Like take kevin kolb for instance how many times was he hit and sacked? Im sure just about anyone who got hit the same way he did that caused his concussions would have gotten concussed to. I got a concussion olaying flag football while ibwas in the army. I got blindside on a block and fell back wards and hit my head and practiced for the remainder 30 min of practice which I dont remember and then got in my car and couldnt remember a thing and took me 3 hours to remember where I lived. Just saying all it takes is one bad hit to concuss anyone. They dk have helmets but still one unlucky hit can cause anykne to get concussed. Thats why I do.t include concussions as injury prone cuz then that case everykne is j.jury prone cuz anyone can get a concussion at anytime.

Frankenchief
08-31-2013, 01:48 PM
THIS. Agreed. Give Bray a year or so to soak up Reid's offense, and let the front office get some other pieces in place (Stellar wide reciever to complement Bowe, tight end that doesn't spend his career on the PUP list, another great tackle, guard or center...) and then let him challenge Daniels for #2. My only problem with this statement is that Bray is a pocket QB and right now the O is geared for a roll out one. Bray is at a disadvantage at this point. But if shows enough talent, maturity, and development I think Reid one of the best coaches in the NFL in readjusting his O to suit Bray's qualities.

Right now, if I'm Reid, I'd sit Bray down in a film room for hours every week watching Peyton Manning footage. Bray still plays a bit flat footed and relying on his strong arm does not put his entire body into the throwing motion. Manning - while just as limited as Bray in mobility - has live feet in the pocket all the time. His feet piston up and down constantly which helps him in his throws and when needing to step up (or away) in the pocket.

Eydugstr
09-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Not sure I'd call Reid's offense a "roll out" style offense, but regardless Bray is still pretty raw and will of course take some work. Not sure if he'd develop into Peyton Manning style QB (2-3 step drop and throw, always faking to the RB, which sets up a run later in the game) but instead look for him to be more like a McNabb style QB - Big, mobile when needed, big arm when needed, but usually catching RB's in the backfield.

matthewschiefs
09-01-2013, 10:09 PM
About the Injury prone thing. I think this is one Issue that Myman brings up a very valid point. The facts are the facts and the fact is that only twice in Alex Smith's Career has Smith made it out for 16 games. But what we do have to keep in mind is that not all of those were due to injuries. They were due to the fact that Smith just wasn't getting the job done early in his career But it's definitely not a given that Smith is likely to make the whole season. Based on his past he has missed games. If that happens in KC then I think the Chiefs will be in a bit of trouble. If it's just a game he misses they could be ok but if Smith is out for a long period of time like most NFL teams the backup is the backup for a reason

tornadospotter
09-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Bray seems to have the basic physical tools, raw as they still are. But he may have a Grbac-like immaturity. If I'm right with this (worst scenario) guess he will never amount to anything. Some people are immature to the core (Ryan Leaf anyone?), and some are just a product of some wildness of youth that they'll eventually come out of. For his sake and for the Chiefs sake let's hope Bray is the latter.
Not really sure how to take this analyzes of Our Rookie Chief QB. So I will just say, he will be what he will be, and time will always tell. He is a Chief, so he is a NFL QB, that means he has the skill to make our team, a NFL Team. That being said, any player that makes a NFL Team is a far better athlete than any of us could even imagine to be! Bray is a Chief! That is enough for me now.

drstandley31
09-02-2013, 04:44 PM

You are exactly RIGHT!!!! OMG he was awful.

ctchiefsfan
09-02-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm going to defend MMO/MMH just a little. I think saying Alex Smith is "injury prone" is taking things a little far, but AS has not exactly been indestructable either. And I have to agree that should AS go down for any length of time we could could be in serious trouble. Both Daniels and Bray showed some sparks in preseason, but neither impressed me as being as being any sort of challenge to AS. So I think we all need to cross our fingers that AS stays healthy.

jason1981
09-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Well I didnt realize he didnt play a full season in his years besides the times he was benched which is not an injury. Injury wise all I heard of was concussion and shoulder Injury but yes we will be s.o.l. if smith gets injured.

Eydugstr
09-03-2013, 02:52 PM
It's interesting that AS's injury report comes up as issue now...after the off-season, after training camp, and after the preseason. Yes it would suck if AS goes down with an injury, but I'd bet there's a bunch of other NFL teams that could say the same thing about their starting QB's (NE? Denver? Indy?).

Until proven otherwise...In Reid I trust. Smith is our starting QB. If he's injury prone, we'll know soon enough.

Chiefster
09-04-2013, 01:49 AM

Brodie Croyle.

brdempsey69
09-04-2013, 02:24 AM
Brodie Croyle.

Croyle. Talk about a paper soldier going down in the wind or scarecrow.

Chiefster
09-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Croyle. Talk about a paper soldier going down in the wind or scarecrow.

:lol: Yup! Zero wins.

Seek
09-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Unfortunately with the points about Chase "looking OK" you have to consider that Tyler Palko occasionally "looked OK" too. They both look(ed) like college QBs trying to play the pro game.

Uh, I am not a Daniels fan. I don't care for MU or any school in the midwest. I was also a seaon ticket holder who got to watch many many pre-season games. I can't tell you how many times we lost a game because some other teams back ups came in and cleaned house against a majority of our starters.

I am used to seeing our QB's get killed time and time again because our back up online was horrific and most of the time they were just trying to stay alive and not get killed. Daniels was pressured a whole bunch with back ups in there, but he still made plays which in the past never happened. He also made a lot of mistake holding on to the ball trying to make a play when he didn't have the time. That being said, it was great to see Tyler Bray dominate as a 3rd stringer. In the past by the time a 3rd stringer got in, we struggled to even complete a pass, yet alone 3 TD's.

It is nice for a change to see the Chiefs have a back up QB, go down the fields and score in a two minute drive against the starting defense of the Steelers. In previous years, I had zero confidence in any of our back ups to give us any chance to win a game if our starter went down, and Palko proved he was not that guy. I have confidence in Daniels and so do the Chiefs which is why they paid so much for him. However, I am also confident that Tyler Bray could also fill in for a few downs if need be.

Now it was just pre-season but for once, it was nice to know that we were pretty much set at QB and the back ups.

jason1981
09-04-2013, 11:21 AM
I have more confidence in bray than I do daniels.

MyManHali
09-04-2013, 12:35 PM

Same

Seek
09-04-2013, 12:40 PM

Yeah, playing against third stringers no longer on the team will do that to a fan. Just as it did for Thigpen and Palko until they played starters and then reality set in.

Until I see Bray play against starters, I will keep my confidence in him at optomistically cautious. I do think that with a couple years on the bench may help him develop into a starter and very well could be a QBOTF, but could also be another back up who gets a huge contract to be a starter only to find out later it was the system not the QB.

Look at it this way. NY fans are debating on starting Brady Quinn instead of the name starter of Geno Smith, only because he is seasoned and knows how to play the game. They basically are saying ignore what he did in the past. He is a better option for the Jets. Would you choose Quinn over Daniels. I certainly wouldn't. If Daniels was on the Jets he may very well be a starter.

doobs_05
09-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah, playing against third stringers no longer on the team will do that to a fan. Just as it did for Thigpen and Palko until they played starters and then reality set in.

I remember people trying to make a case for Thiggy, comparing his numers to big bens

jason1981
09-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah bray doesnt know everything daniels knows but bray has more wiggle room cuz he can throw into tighter areas where daniel cant. So daniel may knkw where tk throw it to faster but bray can throw it a bit later cuz he has the arms. So I still say bray is the better option. Plus im sure reid will know how to use bray to limit his mistakes or put bray in good situations.

Eydugstr
09-04-2013, 06:31 PM
I remember people trying to make a case for Thiggy, comparing his numers to big bens

In Thigpen's defense...He was third string when all that crud went down. Gailey and Thigpen basically made the best out of a bad situation, and switching the offense to a "pistol" style offense was what it took to finally get the most out of Thigpen. With this being said, although the numbers did improve on offense, it never translated into W's. Thigpen never did adapt well to a pro-style offense.

Frankenchief
09-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Until I see Bray play against starters, .....This is such an unfair statement. You completely disregard the fact that he was also playing WITH reserves and third stringers.

Also while we totally started the game with reserves the Pack had a few starters in their game early. I did not check, but I wouldn't be surprised if that trend created situations later in the game when our 3rds were playing against their 2nds. And Bray was still outshining everybody.

I'm also in the "cautious optimism" mode regarding Bray. But it has a lot less to do with his abilities than with his polish and degree of self confidence.

Seek
09-05-2013, 12:59 PM
This is such an unfair statement. You completely disregard the fact that he was also playing WITH reserves and third stringers.

Also while we totally started the game with reserves the Pack had a few starters in their game early. I did not check, but I wouldn't be surprised if that trend created situations later in the game when our 3rds were playing against their 2nds. And Bray was still outshining everybody.

I'm also in the "cautious optimism" mode regarding Bray. But it has a lot less to do with his abilities than with his polish and degree of self confidence.

It is not unfair. There is a huge difference in the speed of the game when playing the very best against back ups. All Bray proved was that he was better than the competition he was facing. Until I can see him play with starters against Starters I can only be cautious optimism until he proves himself. However, until he does that I am not going to promote him above some one who did perform with Starters against starters.

I saw a lot I loved about Bray, and I am not dissing him. However, many people loved Stanzi and wanted to see him play last year only because he had yet to prove he didn't belong. Everyone loves the back up, until the time comes when they are called on.

Frankenchief
09-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Same
Only if Bray's self confidence grows. As of yet I don't think he's there completely. Hopefully in short order he will get there.