PDA

View Full Version : Game 3 thoughts

matthewschiefs
09-19-2013, 11:46 PM
The Good

On Offense Alex Smith,Donnie Avery,Jamal Charles
Donnie Avery player of the game for sure

Defense created turnovers that won the game. And did a fairly good job against the Eagles High speed offense. Justin Houston is clearly in the running for AFC defensive player of the year through 3 weeks

The bad

Offense O LINE O LINE O LINE it's becoming a theme. Fisher played like a rookie and HAS to learn from it going forward. Bowe 1 catch From our number 1 WR not going to get the job done.

Defense a few big plays given up Mccoy tourched them on a number of plays they have to clean that up

Overall this is one the Chiefs were lucky to be in position to win late but they did go out and FINISH the job on offense late in that game. 3-0 Bring on the Giants

texaschief
09-19-2013, 11:52 PM
A win is a win. Ugly as last week. Rough.

Coach
09-20-2013, 12:20 AM
Offense was rough, but defense and special teams performed a clinic tonight. This was an offense that was averaging 33 pts per game. We shut them down. Chief ran the ball when they had to. Would love them to run more pro-set formation with Jamaal Charles running off the tackle.

Lewis_Chiefs
09-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Offense wasn't great but that was one clutch drive late in the 4th which took time off the clock and enabled us to kick a field goal to go up by two scores with 3 minutes to go and effectively seal the game. At least they aren't a turnover machine like last year.

The defence continues to impress with Justin Houston being the standout player again.

great win and a promising 3-0 start.

texaschief
09-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Defense was amazing. Especially against this offense... just... wow. It's pick your poison on that D-line. Who do you double?? Tyson Jackson even got a lot of pressure tonight. I though he did a GREAT job. If TJ starts playing at a high level, things could get scary for this defensive unit. Unreal

brdempsey69
09-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Offense was rough, but defense and special teams performed a clinic tonight. This was an offense that was averaging 33 pts per game. We shut them down. Chief ran the ball when they had to. Would love them to run more pro-set formation with Jamaal Charles running off the tackle.

BINGO !! That's how you spring him for those long distance runs.

Chiefster
09-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Offense finally pulled it together late in the game when they needed to, but this was another victory for the Defense! Over all a very good win IMO.

texaschief
09-20-2013, 12:53 AM
3-0, y'all

WTF!!!

Hayvern
09-20-2013, 12:54 AM
I have said for a while that Smith just is not the guy to lead this team. He is playing like Cassel did two years ago. He has not made the mistakes that Cassel made this year, but unless the defense stays on the plus side of the turnovers, this team is going to have trouble. We need this offense to pick it up, when you get to a team that does not turn over the ball, we are going to be sent reeling.

brdempsey69
09-20-2013, 12:59 AM
A great road win. There were some frustrating moments, but there were also clutch plays -- especially Alex Smith's timely passes to Donnie Avery at critical moments that kept the Chiefs Offense on the field & the Eagles Offense off of it.

I told somebody before that the Niners letting Smith go could backfire on them. Alex doesn't always make good plays or good throws, but he's been getting the job done in the clutch when the Chiefs really need it. Alex is a proven winner and this is why Dorsey/Reid traded for him.

I have said for a while that Smith just is not the guy to lead this team. He is playing like Cassel did two years ago. He has not made the mistakes that Cassel made this year, but unless the defense stays on the plus side of the turnovers, this team is going to have trouble. We need this offense to pick it up, when you get to a team that does not turn over the ball, we are going to be sent reeling.

Pardon me, but just who is "the guy" to lead this team? Alex has done a great job leading this team. The Chiefs have won BECAUSE of him, not in spite of him. We kept hearing that SF won in spite of Alex Smith. That isn't the case, thus far, in KC.

matthewschiefs
09-20-2013, 01:02 AM

In fairness what is Smith suppose to do with the O line in the current shape that it's in and the number 1 WR is getting out preformed but the 3rd string TE?

Smith is playing well for the most part there are some throws he has to make better but He's not the biggest issue on offense right now that would be the O line

Hayvern
09-20-2013, 01:08 AM
I have given up on that Offensive line horse. I just don't think that is ever going to happen at this point.

TopekaRoy
09-20-2013, 01:43 AM
I have given up on that Offensive line horse. I just don't think that is ever going to happen at this point.

I thought the same thing about the Bears O-line. They were terrible for years. Now with two free agent signings and two good rookie draft picks Kyle Long and Jordan Mills, they have given up one sack in two games and Cutler now has the time to go through his reads and make good plays.

The Bears were lucky. Finding good offensive linemen, especially in the draft, is a craps shoot. But it CAN be done, and an O-line can be turned around quickly. Sometimes it's just a matter of replacing one or two players and shifting others around. If the Bears can do it, so can the Chiefs.

garciakcfan
09-20-2013, 01:43 AM
We're 3-0.... Can't you just be happy? Always gotta have a Debbie downer. Bows is probably getting double teams all game leaving everyone else open. We're freaking 3-0!!! Enjoy it a little, not every game is going to be perfect

TopekaRoy
09-20-2013, 01:54 AM
Defense was amazing. Especially against this offense... just... wow. It's pick your poison on that D-line. Who do you double?? Tyson Jackson even got a lot of pressure tonight. I though he did a GREAT job. If TJ starts playing at a high level, things could get scary for this defensive unit. Unreal

I think TJ's improved performance is due, in large part, to the fact that other players around him are playing better. When you have to block Poe, Houston and Hali, you can only double team so many players and that opens up TJ to make plays.

He has always had the talent. Now our defense is giving him the ability to display that talent.

...Bows is probably getting double teams all game leaving everyone else open. ...

I'm sure he is. Teams scheme to shut down an offense's biggest weapon. Sometimes it works and other times they get beat by the other weapons. I don't care if Bowe is making plays, or Avery, or Charles, just as long as somebody is! I don't play fantasy football, so I don't care how many yards, receptions or TD passes Bowe has, as long as the Chiefs win.

That is the beauty of having multiple weapons. You can't shut down everybody.

...Unless you're the Chiefs defense, that is. :smile

garciakcfan
09-20-2013, 01:56 AM
I agree. Our defense looks stout. I'll be at arrowhead next weekend to see them live!! I can't wait!

ctchiefsfan
09-20-2013, 02:03 AM
If everybody will excuse me, I'm hearing a lot about how this was not a "pretty" win and this unit sucked and that sucked and everything sucked and I'll admit I'd prefer not to be huffing nitroglycerine all through the game, but let's take a look at the game.....

1) WIN.....26-16

2) Held Philthy which has scored 31.5 points per game previously to 16 points. Half their previous average.

3) Got the lead early and NEVER TRAILED

4) NO TURNOVERS

5) Net yards passing.......248

6) Net yards rushing.......147

7) Alex Smith 22-35 (63%) ZERO interceptions.

8) Opponent sacked 5 times for 30 yards lost

9) Opponent picked off twice

10) Opponent fumbles recovered 3

11) Net yards per pass attempt....7.08

12) Net yards per completion.....11.27

So yes....it wasn't a classic thrashing we put on Philthy, but we won the game, we won all the stats except rushing yards, we won the turnover battle, we led starting at something like 3 minutes into the game and never trailed....we just all around WON!!!

Sure.....I'd have liked to have seen much better O-line play and we failed to take advantage of some opportunities on Offense, but all in all we are 3-0 and other than our win over the lowly Jags, this was our most convincing win yet.

We have won on the road against a crap team.

We have won at home against a good team.

We have won on the road on a short week against a good team.

What's not to like?

Can we get better? HELL YES!!!!

But are we doing DAMNED WELL????? HELL YES!!!!!!!

THE CHIEFS ARE BACK!!!!!!!

ctchiefsfan
09-20-2013, 02:08 AM
I think TJ's improved performance is due, in large part, to the fact that other players around him are playing better. When you have to block Poe, Houston and Hali, you can only double team so many players and that opens up TJ to make plays.

He has always had the talent. Now our defense is giving him the ability to display that talent.

I'm sure he is. Teams scheme to shut down an offense's biggest weapon. Sometimes it works and other times they get beat by the other weapons. I don't care if Bowe is making plays, or Avery, or Charles, just as long as somebody is! I don't play fantasy football, so I don't care how many yards, receptions or TD passes Bowe has, as long as the Chiefs win.

That is the beauty of having multiple weapons. You can't shut down everybody.

...Unless you're the Chiefs defense, that is. :smile

Post of the week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matthewschiefs
09-20-2013, 02:27 AM
We're 3-0.... Can't you just be happy? Always gotta have a Debbie downer. Bows is probably getting double teams all game leaving everyone else open. We're freaking 3-0!!! Enjoy it a little, not every game is going to be perfect

I'm very happy to be 3-0 There's a lot to be happy with this team right now. The defense looks like it can be a top 5 defense for sure there's a little to clean up but every team in the NFL is going to have that.

Bowe I get frustrated with we have seen him have so many big games where he just turns it on then there's games like lastnight i guess now it is where you forget he's playing. The first play tonight was to him and he drops it. that's just setting up on the wrong foot. Just frustrating he's a great player but he takes games off.

It's not being a debbie downer to talk about the good and the bad. It's just discussion I think we're all happy to be 3-0 but there are some areas that need work. The coaches will go over stuff like that with the team as well. Only dwelling on the bad would be a debbie downer but I haven't seen many doing that at this point. Most talk about the good and the bad

matthewschiefs
09-20-2013, 02:32 AM
If everybody will excuse me, I'm hearing a lot about how this was not a "pretty" win and this unit sucked and that sucked and everything sucked and I'll admit I'd prefer not to be huffing nitroglycerine all through the game, but let's take a look at the game.....

1) WIN.....26-16

2) Held Philthy which has scored 31.5 points per game previously to 16 points. Half their previous average.

3) Got the lead early and NEVER TRAILED

4) NO TURNOVERS

5) Net yards passing.......248

6) Net yards rushing.......147

7) Alex Smith 22-35 (63%) ZERO interceptions.

8) Opponent sacked 5 times for 30 yards lost

9) Opponent picked off twice

10) Opponent fumbles recovered 3

11) Net yards per pass attempt....7.08

12) Net yards per completion.....11.27

So yes....it wasn't a classic thrashing we put on Philthy, but we won the game, we won all the stats except rushing yards, we won the turnover battle, we led starting at something like 3 minutes into the game and never trailed....we just all around WON!!!

Sure.....I'd have liked to have seen much better O-line play and we failed to take advantage of some opportunities on Offense, but all in all we are 3-0 and other than our win over the lowly Jags, this was our most convincing win yet.

We have won on the road against a crap team.

We have won at home against a good team.

We have won on the road on a short week against a good team.

What's not to like?

Can we get better? HELL YES!!!!

But are we doing DAMNED WELL????? HELL YES!!!!!!!

THE CHIEFS ARE BACK!!!!!!!

I agree on all counts.

The only thing I have a real worry about is the o line since it's been a problem alot. But they do have a little bye week now having 10 days between games they can get that cleaned up

The more I see this team to more I'm pumped.

That LONG offensive drive in the 4th was HUGE and really exciting in the past that would have been a 3 and out or a turnover. This is a exciting team right now

tornadospotter
09-20-2013, 02:43 AM
Offense struggled, But defense set the game early,

Chiefster
09-20-2013, 05:48 AM

Sorry Vern, but no way Cassel converts those third and longs.

Coach
09-20-2013, 07:32 AM
The last drive by the Chiefs was a thing of beauty. That is the kind of drive that will win playoff games. When we needed milk the clock, the Chiefs started a 15 play, 75 yard drive from their own 5 yard line that last over 8 minutes. It was a complete back breaker. Even though it didn't end with a TD, I think it was the best drive this year by the Chiefs. The only drive that compares IMO is the final drive from the Dallas game.

Chiefster
09-20-2013, 07:47 AM
The last drive by the Chiefs was a thing of beauty. That is the kind of drive that will win playoff games. When we needed milk the clock, the Chiefs started a 15 play, 75 yard drive from their own 5 yard line that last over 8 minutes. It was a complete back breaker. Even though it didn't end with a TD, I think it was the best drive this year by the Chiefs. The only drive that compares IMO is the final drive from the Dallas game.

THIS!

Would have given ya some rep there Coach but I was told that I have given too much of it and needed to wait 24 hours. :lol:

nigeriannightmare
09-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Couldn't agree more with the last drive. We would have scored a TD but didn't need to. This qcomplaining ecause the QB isn't putting up 40 fantasy points a week is straight dumb. Along with the drive how about another game with ZERO turnovers!!! Yes McCoy ran over us but he is arguably one of THE best backs in the league. The defense has 4 pro bowlers and has a real DC. The offense will get there new system, new coach, new qb. 3 and mother effin 0. Not many thought we would be.

Seek
09-20-2013, 09:00 AM
The Good

On Offense Alex Smith,Donnie Avery,Jamal Charles
Donnie Avery player of the game for sure

Defense created turnovers that won the game. And did a fairly good job against the Eagles High speed offense. Justin Houston is clearly in the running for AFC defensive player of the year through 3 weeks

The bad

Offense O LINE O LINE O LINE it's becoming a theme. Fisher played like a rookie and HAS to learn from it going forward. Bowe 1 catch From our number 1 WR not going to get the job done.

Defense a few big plays given up Mccoy tourched them on a number of plays they have to clean that up

Overall this is one the Chiefs were lucky to be in position to win late but they did go out and FINISH the job on offense late in that game. 3-0 Bring on the Giants

While Avery deserves a lot of credit, I only want to give him offense player of the game. I believe Justin Houston deserves player of the game. 3.5 sacks a forced fumble, and two fumble recoveries. Two of those sacks game at a critical point just when Philly looked like they were starting to get things together.

Special teams play got to Demps for his 52 yard opening kick off return. You could hear the air in the Eagles fans deflate like a whoopie cushion.

Then just as the defense held the Chiefs DJ and Berry popped that whoopie cushion with a pick 6.

Credit also goes to Chip Kelly for being an idiot and going for 2 like he was playing a highschool team. That killed any momentum the got from that TD.

It won't be long before Philly is hating Chip for being a college coach.

Sick Dog
09-20-2013, 09:30 AM
To all of the downers and we may have a few new MMH since he is not around every team has things to work on come on really...the other team gets paid to play too what do you want perfection every game no one can do that...the line needs work yes but I guarantee if that was not a short week the "O" would have been better plus this offense needs the tight end and with their top two out that hurt them...the "D" well they look almost unstoppable to perform like that against the offense on a short week wow!

Now I guarantee no one had 3-0 to this point I bet more like 1-2 so for them to be 3-0 to this point and the fact that they will get better every week that is truly the thing to look forward to with this team...

TopekaRoy
09-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Now I guarantee no one had 3-0 to this point I bet more like 1-2 so for them to be 3-0 to this point and the fact that they will get better every week that is truly the thing to look forward to with this team...

You would lose that bet! From the Regular Season Predictions thread (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php/23178-Reuglar-Season-prediction):

@Jaguars -WinJags look bad
Cowboys - Win Fans will be in a frenzy for the home opener coming off a win and so much offseason hype
@Eagles - Win (should be a good game though)

--snip--

I've got 10-6 as high as 11-5 but as low as 6-10.

I've posted this before, will post it again...

Chiefs @ Jaguars - There's too many problems in Jacksonville for one offseason to fix. W.
Cowboys @ Chiefs - Tony Romo is overrated. And KC has a coach that's used to it. W.
Chiefs @ Eagles - Chip Kelly is no Andy Reid. W.

--Snip--

It's very feasible for us to 11-5 and get a playoff appearance with the schedule, talent & coaching we've got. My gut feeling is that we'll struggle in the first half of the season, but given all the changes going on with teams that normally win against us (for ex. Buffalo) and with the difference Andy Reid will bring to the table, we'll break some trends.

And I picked us to beat the Jags and Eagles and either the Cowboys or Redskins so I get partial credit!

--Snip--

I've broken down our opponents into groups.

--Snip--

Against the AFC South:
... If our blocking holds up early the Jags and Titans should be no problem. ...

Against the NFC [East]:
This is a good division, but not as good as it use to be. The Eagles are a hot mess and can't figure out who to start at QB. Reid will be highly motivated to give them a whipping and should be able to put together a good game plan against a team he is highly familiar with. ... You can never tell what you are going to get with the Cowboys, but you can count on Romo to throw away a few games each year. I think the "Thunderhead" crowd will rattle him and we steal a win at home. I think we beat the Eagles, lose to the Giants and beat either the 'Skins or 'Boys.

--Snip--

Add it up and you get 11-5. Now, every year we lose a couple we should win and/or win one or two we should lose, so I think 9-7 or 10-6 is a bit more realistic. It's really to early to say but I am optimistic about this season.

Now, none of us were picking the Chiefs to go 16-0 this year but all 3 of us thought that the Chiefs would win their first 3 games. By the way, all 3 of us picked the Chiefs to lose game 4 against the Giants and after seeing them in their first 2 games, I, for one, am rethinking that prediction!

Sick Dog
09-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Road teams after a Sunday playing a Thursday are 24 - 39...so that is a huge win...3rd and 10 from the 5 after McCluster gaff that is clutch...people saying or at least one is Smith playing like Cassel get your head checked.

Ryfo18
09-20-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't share the concerns with the offensive line. Alex Smith is holding onto the ball incredibly too long. When receivers aren't getting open, he's not forcing the ball anywhere (hence 0 INTs). The offensive line is holding up pretty well for the most part to give him time to throw, aside from a couple of times last night.

Fisher continues to struggle against the bull rush and looked silly on a couple of swim moves last night. With time (specifically more time on the right side) hopefully he improves. There's some concern there, but it's still very early in his career.

Alex refuses to throw the ball down the field, and that's a tough pill to swallow. That is going to have to change at some point. I saw something that said that he has only attempted 2 passes over 20 yards through 3 games. Bowe isn't getting involved because he is basically a decoy on the outside. Alex rarely even looks in his direction though. Alex has done a good job of taking what the D gives to him and not turning the ball over. Passing is not his strong skill...playing mistake free football is.

The D-line is awesome. Tyson Jackson continues to not be a bust, despite what some might tell you. Justin Houston is a freaking beast (his over/under sack total in Vegas was set to 7.5 before the season...free money). This secondary was outstanding. They play'd press coverage on the outside all game with only one safety at the top. Sean Smith gave Riley Cooper (yeah I know he's not that good) fits and Flowers was outstanding against DeSean Jackson. That was awesome to see Flowers rebound after a tough game against the 2nd best WR in the league, Dez Bryant.

A lot of encouraging things to take from this. The offense HAS to get better at capitalizing on turnovers though.

texaschief
09-20-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm not too concerned with the O-line. I agree that Alex is holding onto the ball too long. However, I don't have the luxury of seeing what he sees as he goes through his progressions. I DO know that the Chiefs haven't committed a turnover all season. Although it might be a tough pill to swallow for Andy Reid, if he wants his WRs to get better looks and not get double covered so much, he needs to force opponents to respect the powerful running game that the Chiefs posses. The last Chiefs posessions in each of the last 2 games is EXACTLY what our offense should look like on EACH posession. Because apparently, THAT offense is unstoppable even when the defense KNOWS it's coming. It needs to be a power running game-centered offense that makes the defense play the run first. When they force defenses to do that, the passing plays begin to open up and this whole scheme works so much better.

I don't know if they're trying to be too cute to start the game or what. But I DO know that if this offense became a run-first team, we would probably be resting the first week of the playoffs. Take that offense who can go 90 yards on 15 plays over 8 minutes when they have the ball and combine that with the redzone efficiency we saw the first 2 games to go along with this elite defensive unit and things could get interesting in January.

Unlike the Jags, the Cowboys and Eagles hang their hat on offense. This Chiefs defense has made them look pedestrian. Things could get tough the next couple weeks, but 3 of our next 4 games are at home.

Do your part!

mcclusterfan1982
09-20-2013, 01:31 PM
All I have to say is WHOOP WHOO! DIGGITIE DOG!! 3-0 says it all! Might see the playoffs!!! OH YEAH OH YEAH OH YEAH! Our schedule looks easy. Here are the games I think we should win for "almost" sure from here-on-out: Raiders (HOME), Browns (HOME), Bills (AWAY), Chargers (Home), Redsikins (AWAY), Raiders (AWAY), COLTS (HOME). That would put us at 10 wins!!! :) 10-6 here we come!!!! Maybe even better. Giants game will tell a lot! We can also beat Tennessee...might go at best, 12-4!! Ya never know.

Lord-Chiefy
09-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Were is MMH?? He hates when we win

matthewschiefs
09-20-2013, 02:58 PM
I don't share the concerns with the offensive line. Alex Smith is holding onto the ball incredibly too long. When receivers aren't getting open, he's not forcing the ball anywhere (hence 0 INTs). The offensive line is holding up pretty well for the most part to give him time to throw, aside from a couple of times last night.

Fisher continues to struggle against the bull rush and looked silly on a couple of swim moves last night. With time (specifically more time on the right side) hopefully he improves. There's some concern there, but it's still very early in his career.

Alex refuses to throw the ball down the field, and that's a tough pill to swallow. That is going to have to change at some point. I saw something that said that he has only attempted 2 passes over 20 yards through 3 games. Bowe isn't getting involved because he is basically a decoy on the outside. Alex rarely even looks in his direction though. Alex has done a good job of taking what the D gives to him and not turning the ball over. Passing is not his strong skill...playing mistake free football is.

The D-line is awesome. Tyson Jackson continues to not be a bust, despite what some might tell you. Justin Houston is a freaking beast (his over/under sack total in Vegas was set to 7.5 before the season...free money). This secondary was outstanding. They play'd press coverage on the outside all game with only one safety at the top. Sean Smith gave Riley Cooper (yeah I know he's not that good) fits and Flowers was outstanding against DeSean Jackson. That was awesome to see Flowers rebound after a tough game against the 2nd best WR in the league, Dez Bryant.

A lot of encouraging things to take from this. The offense HAS to get better at capitalizing on turnovers though.

I agree with most of this

I would say that sometimes it seems Smith has had time to throw because he has ran for his life trying to get away from instant pressure.

And I don't know if it's Smith Refuseing to throw the ball downfield I think a large amount of that has to do with the WRs not getting open. Like our number 1 last night with a amazing 1 catch for 4 yards.

Fisher is playing like a rookie but you're right there some concern there. He has to get better

The thing even better about the job Flowers did was he did it not at 100% that's a great sign

ctchiefsfan
09-20-2013, 03:07 PM
I agree with most of this

I would say that sometimes it seems Smith has had time to throw because he has ran for his life trying to get away from instant pressure.

And I don't know if it's Smith Refuseing to throw the ball downfield I think a large amount of that has to do with the WRs not getting open. Like our number 1 last night with a amazing 1 catch for 4 yards.

Fisher is playing like a rookie but you're right there some concern there. He has to get better

The thing even better about the job Flowers did was he did it not at 100% that's a great sign

On Flowers.....I saw an interview somewhere where he said something like....."We needed everybody tonight. I couldn't not be out there. The team needed everybody whether they were hurt or not."

That is a whole new attitude than we have seen from this team for a while!

jason1981
09-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Hayvern is prolly mmh. Just changed his name. Now we know where mmh went to.

brdempsey69
09-20-2013, 04:05 PM

No, they aren't one and the same. However, at this stage it's awful hard for anybody to rightfully be down on Alex Smith at this stage. Considering how many times I saw Cassel off target on his throws on short and medium distance throws that should have been easy for him, and by contrast, Smith never missed on his throws to Avery in critical situations last night.

jason1981
09-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Well regardless one thing smith is way better than cassel and shouldn't even be compared. Smith might not have the strongest arm but him not going deep is more on the play calling amd wr not getting open down field. Smith is very acurate and smart and ia clutch.

Scales 1 to 10 with 10 being the best

Accuracy
Smith 8
Cassel 2

Arm strength
Smith 7
Cassel 6

Mobility
Smith 8
Cassel 4

Read progressions
Smith 8
Cassel 0 repeat 0

Clutch
Smith 9
Cassel 5 on his best day

Not throwing interceptions
Smith 10
Cassel 2

Smarts and game mangement
Smith 10
Cassel 1

Smith is the number one reason why were 3 and 0. Hes clutch and no turnovers. If we had any turnovers we wouldnt be undefeated. Yes our defense is real and all but smith is clutch and made plans when he needed to the most. Cassel would have turned it over in those situations. The lack of down field passing is more due to sucky oline and play calling and no open wr when they have called it.

Seek
09-20-2013, 05:19 PM

uh No. Hayvern used to be a very loyal Chiefs fan who travelled to KC at least one game a year. I have tailgated with him and he truly cares for this team. He has just soured on some aspects of the team. The fact he is actually back and posting means he is getting excited about this team instead of just ignoring them.

mcclusterfan1982
09-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Well regardless one thing smith is way better than cassel and shouldn't even be compared. Smith might not have the strongest arm but him not going deep is more on the play calling amd wr not getting open down field. Smith is very acurate and smart and ia clutch.

Scales 1 to 10 with 10 being the best

Arm strength
Smith 7
Cassel 6

You are right on most of these, but Cassel definitely had a way stronger arm than Alex Smith. Cassel could throw the long bombs. The one thing he had going for him.

#58ChiefsFan
09-20-2013, 06:49 PM
On offense the thing I am most excited about is that Avery stepped up and made the HUGE plays to get this win. This team has been needing someone to assume that role and it looks like Donnie could be that guy. Junior is coming along and growing but the Giants have to legitimately plan for Avery now. Fasano and at some point Kelce will be back, hopefully in 10 days, and this McGrath guy with the awesome beard looks like a decent third TE. Keep in mind this is only the third game for these guys and they were not at full strength with Smiths safety valve sitting out. Big things are coming, remain vigilant. Childress calming Reid down on the pass happy play calling will be one of the best moves this organization made.

brdempsey69
09-20-2013, 08:33 PM
The overall irony:

At the beginning, the PR announcement of thanking Andy Reid for his 14-years of service in Philly and the applause.

At the end, I don't think the Philly faithful were so thankful that Reid was on the other side wearing Chiefs Red.

Sick Dog
09-20-2013, 09:43 PM
uh No. Hayvern used to be a very loyal Chiefs fan who travelled to KC at least one game a year. I have tailgated with him and he truly cares for this team. He has just soured on some aspects of the team. The fact he is actually back and posting means he is getting excited about this team instead of just ignoring them.

Ah ya these are called fair weather fans not real true fans that stick through thick and thin...band wagon anyone.

jason1981
09-20-2013, 09:55 PM
You are right on most of these, but Cassel definitely had a way stronger arm than Alex Smith. Cassel could throw the long bombs. The one thing he had going for him.Yeah I was thinking cassel may have as strong as arm than smith but he had no accuracy for it to matter. Plus I dont think we realy seen how strongs smiths arms is cuz he hasnt been asked to go deep due to the offense hes been in.

Eydugstr
09-20-2013, 10:09 PM
You would lose that bet! From the Regular Season Predictions thread (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php/23178-Reuglar-Season-prediction):

And I picked us to beat the Jags and Eagles and either the Cowboys or Redskins so I get partial credit!

Now, none of us were picking the Chiefs to go 16-0 this year but all 3 of us thought that the Chiefs would win their first 3 games. By the way, all 3 of us picked the Chiefs to lose game 4 against the Giants and after seeing them in their first 2 games, I, for one, am rethinking that prediction!

I didn't have us picked to win against the Giants, but after watching how Eli has played so far (granted it always seems like the Giants get off to a slow start) I just don't see them stopping our pass rush, I don't care how much Manning magic gets stuffed in Eli's helmet. Unbelievable job being done by our defense.

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Mark it down in BLOOD! We will SWEEP the NFC east!

brdempsey69
09-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Mark it down in BLOOD! We will SWEEP the NFC east!

Well, I hope you're right. I believe the Chiefs can beat the Redskins on any field this year. The Giants are another story, though.

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 01:13 AM
We are playing the Giants at home. They are 0-2. We WILL take them. These are not the Chiefs we have become accustomed to. These Chiefs WANT TO WIN!!!!! Besides....one of my co-workers is a Giants fan and I have told him that we gave him a gift in the Dallas and Philly games and that GIFTS ARE OVER.

WE ARE GOING TO SWEEP THE NFC EAST!!!!!

spiman
09-21-2013, 03:23 AM
3-0 Happy/Happy/Happy Think that show is a joke, Look where at..^ Cali . Born N.D. Yep killer of Bambi I just want that other game/playoffs

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Childress calming Reid down on the pass happy play calling will be one of the best moves this organization made.

I think you have hit on something VERY important. I LOVE Reid's aggressive spirit, but sometimes throwing the ball is just not the right thing to do....especially when you have JC. Childress seems to be able to get Reid to take a step back and think.

Justin5772002
09-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Hopefully it doesn't ever happen but we will see Alex Smith's arm strength when we fall behind in a game, until then I'd say we are doing exactly as Andy Reid has planned. Smartest play calling I've ever seen, why strike deep if we don't have to? If the defense has an off day then we will see our offense get busy

Justin5772002
09-21-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm willing to bet we beat the Donks once this season

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 11:05 AM

I'm starting to think maybe so.

brdempsey69
09-21-2013, 02:57 PM

I'm starting to think maybe so.

As I've said before, I'm hoping the Chiefs get a 3rd crack at Denver in the post-season at Denver and the CHIEFS BEAT THEM !!

#58ChiefsFan
09-21-2013, 04:10 PM
As I've said before, I'm hoping the Chiefs get a 3rd crack at Denver in the post-season at Denver and the CHIEFS BEAT THEM !!

I don't want to hijack the thread but this isn't worthy of a new one. Does anyone know how Smith is in cold weather games?

brdempsey69
09-21-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread but this isn't worthy of a new one. Does anyone know how Smith is in cold weather games?

A good question. Not sure of Alex Smith's track record in cold weather games. Just have to hope that Alex can adapt and overcome.

texaschief
09-21-2013, 05:40 PM
You mean the Alex Smith who played the majority of his games in northern California?

brdempsey69
09-21-2013, 06:20 PM
You mean the Alex Smith who played the majority of his games in northern California?

We understand that northern Calif. isn't like south Fla., but it's not the Arctic Circle, either. I believe #58chiefsfan may have been referring to games with cold temperatures like you'd get in GB in late December.

#58ChiefsFan
09-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Yeah that's what I was getting at, basically playoff weather games. I never followed the Niners close enough to know how Alex has been in weather like Arrowhead and Invesco are known for in the winter.

ctchiefsfan
09-22-2013, 12:30 AM
I have no clue as to Alex Smith's capabilities in really cold weather. I'll say this though......Alex Smith is not our be all end all. He's not one of those QBs that if he is out the whole team folds. He is....dare I say it....."a game manager". We are not 3-0 because of Alex Smith. He's just been a good part of the team.

We are not there yet, but we are building a team that can win games anywhere anytime under any conditions.

I'm glad we're not Donks fans. Can you imagine what happens to them if the forehead goes down? Can you say total collapse?

We need Alex Smith, but this is not a team that folds if the QB is having a bad day due to weather or anything else.

Our Chiefs are becoming a do it all anywhere anytime type of team.

matthewschiefs
09-22-2013, 01:25 AM
I have no clue as to Alex Smith's capabilities in really cold weather. I'll say this though......Alex Smith is not our be all end all. He's not one of those QBs that if he is out the whole team folds. He is....dare I say it....."a game manager". We are not 3-0 because of Alex Smith. He's just been a good part of the team.

We are not there yet, but we are building a team that can win games anywhere anytime under any conditions.

I'm glad we're not Donks fans. Can you imagine what happens to them if the forehead goes down? Can you say total collapse?

We need Alex Smith, but this is not a team that folds if the QB is having a bad day due to weather or anything else.

Our Chiefs are becoming a do it all anywhere anytime type of team.

I think people throw out the term Game manager as a negative way to much.

A game manager and Elite Qb both need 1 thing. The right team around them to win. I've said this fact time and time again. Trent Differ has the same amount of rings as Peyton Manning. And more rings then Dan Marino. Even an elite QB has trouble winning championships if he doesn't have the right team around him. A Elite QB doesn't need as good of a team but he still needs help. No one ever does it alone. Not even Peyton Manning as much as the media would love to tell you he does

ctchiefsfan
09-22-2013, 01:41 AM
THERE IT IS!!!!!! A "Superstar" QB can make up for a lot of failing on the rest of the team, but a "good" QB with a great team around him is going to collect a lot more "bling".........just look at Brady this year.........

jason1981
09-22-2013, 03:25 PM
I would put smith in the top 15 qb range and maybe top ten. I know hes not an elite qb but alot of times these elite qbs also have good wr who beats one on ones and makes the grest catch which in turns makes the qb look better as well. Aaron rodgers benifets mostly frkm this. There loaded at wr. The only qb I cam think of who won with just anybody at wr was brett farve who is my fav of all time. He had some good wr at the end but before that he didnt.
Point is we cant always judge a qb on stats alone.
Brady had moss, grownkowski, walker
Payton manning had harrison, wayne, and clark
Arron roders had genning, driver, shipley, jones, loaded
Brees has some but cant think off top of my head
Kurt warner had, isace bruce,holt, Fitzgerald
Eli manning has cruz and someone else I think
Aikmen had irvin
Steve young had rice and owens
Montana had rice and somereason I want to say jj stokes but I know he had another wr
Plus I know all of them also benefited for the sytem there in. Esp Rodgers and brady

Who has smith worked with at wr? And smith didnt have the sytem foundation and continuity of systems. Dif coaches and cordinaters and dif offenses unlike all the good qb in this league have had.

ctchiefsfan
09-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Agreed. I think that some of the reason Smith has been having difficulties is the "gelling" process that has been discussed before. Part of that "gelling" will be Smith getting comfortable with his receivers. Eventually he will have 2 or 3 receivers that he views as his "go to" targets. Once he gets there and the O-line improves I suspect he will be far more effective in the passing game than he has been to date.

jason1981
09-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Yeah I think alex can be great if he was in aaron rogers shoes. Matt flynn even set td record amd looked good and you seen what hes done since hes left. So im excited with the potential of smith. Its up to reid to get him the weapons and a decent oline.
And I think smith is better then flacco who got lucky with the catch from bolden. He has balls though cuz that was ballsy but it was a stupid throw or call je just got lucky. But wow did he cash it in amd take the ravens to the bank. Ravens will be downhill from now with cash withstraints on now thanks to flacco who think he deserves #1 money. Not saying hes bad or not good but he had one good post season run ame hes not a top ten qb in my eyes.
Anyways I have all the faith in smith. We just need to give him skme weapons. Heck last year in sf he was in talk for the mvp before he got injured amd he had one decent wr and davis at te.

jason1981
09-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Reids only negative is pass happy though I love to pass myself id love to see more I formation've power run and sweeps. But then again your predictable so you have to pass as well in I formation.

Eydugstr
09-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Agreed. I think that some of the reason Smith has been having difficulties is the "gelling" process that has been discussed before. Part of that "gelling" will be Smith getting comfortable with his receivers. Eventually he will have 2 or 3 receivers that he views as his "go to" targets. Once he gets there and the O-line improves I suspect he will be far more effective in the passing game than he has been to date.

The part a lot of people overlook, even Len Dawson was complaining about this on 101FX...It takes the recievers, too. When the plays break down, our recievers need to be scrambling back towards the QB, and CATCH the football once it's there. Too many times I've watched the ball hit the hands or numbers only not to get hauled in!

Yeah, our O-line needs a lot of work, and things will improve as the season goes on and everyone understands the offense better (Going from Brian Daboll to Andy Reid is a HUGE shift) In the meantime, though, the recievers can do better.

brdempsey69
09-22-2013, 07:18 PM
The part a lot of people overlook, even Len Dawson was complaining about this on 101FX...It takes the recievers, too. When the plays break down, our recievers need to be scrambling back towards the QB, and CATCH the football once it's there. Too many times I've watched the ball hit the hands or numbers only not to get hauled in!

Yeah, our O-line needs a lot of work, and things will improve as the season goes on and everyone understands the offense better (Going from Brian Daboll to Andy Reid is a HUGE shift) In the meantime, though, the recievers can do better.

I also heard Lenny mention it more than once this season. What he said is something to the effect of "when the receivers see the QB in trouble to forget the pattern they are running and get to an open spot" and the Chiefs receivers need to work on doing that.

N TX Dave
09-22-2013, 09:08 PM
I would put smith in the top 15 qb range and maybe top ten. I know hes not an elite qb but alot of times these elite qbs also have good wr who beats one on ones and makes the grest catch which in turns makes the qb look better as well. Aaron rodgers benifets mostly frkm this. There loaded at wr. The only qb I cam think of who won with just anybody at wr was brett farve who is my fav of all time. He had some good wr at the end but before that he didnt.
Point is we cant always judge a qb on stats alone.
Brady had moss, grownkowski, walker
Payton manning had harrison, wayne, and clark
Arron roders had genning, driver, shipley, jones, loaded
Brees has some but cant think off top of my head
Kurt warner had, isace bruce,holt, Fitzgerald
Eli manning has cruz and someone else I think
Aikmen had irvin
Steve young had rice and owens
Montana had rice and somereason I want to say jj stokes but I know he had another wr
Plus I know all of them also benefited for the sytem there in. Esp Rodgers and brady

Who has smith worked with at wr? And smith didnt have the sytem foundation and continuity of systems. Dif coaches and cordinaters and dif offenses unlike all the good qb in this league have had.

Maybe the QB made some of those WR better instead of the other way around not arguing just saying is all.

jason1981
09-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Well if the qb is veru acurate they can make.it easy for wr to catch the balls.

matthewschiefs
09-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Maybe the QB made some of those WR better instead of the other way around not arguing just saying is all.

That's very true. But that's something that goes both ways at times. The Qbs make the Wrs look good sometimes the other way around. Peyton Manning for example I watched for years Harrison and Wayne bail him out on some really poor throws. And Those two wouldn't be the players they are today without Manning. That's the whole Team thing. No QB ever does it alone. And just as the QB need the wr the Wrs need the QB.

SloJimFizz
09-23-2013, 09:08 AM
I also heard Lenny mention it more than once this season. What he said is something to the effect of "when the receivers see the QB in trouble to forget the pattern they are running and get to an open spot" and the Chiefs receivers need to work on doing that.

This
Saw a couple plays where Alex was scrambling and Bowe trotting about
half speed like "Oh well, I'm covered" not really putting much effort to help Alex out.
That dude should be hard to cover for as long as Alex was holding it and creating time. Hopefully
they do a lot of work on that this week.

ctchiefsfan
09-23-2013, 01:13 PM
YUP!!! When the QB is in trouble is when the receivers need to redouble their effort. A QB who is scrambling around doing pump fakes is trying to "buy time" for a receiver to get open.

jason1981
09-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Im sure reid will go after a wr in the offseason either FA pr draft. Bowe would be a great #2 wr. Mccluster is not tall enough to play wr and I never liked him cuz hes to easy to tackle and is so overhyped by coaches saying he can be a weapon but he hasnt done nothing since hes been in the nfl. I dont like him on returns either. Hes to risky. He should call for fair catches more often cuz hes cutting it close with defenders with one step away from him. Im thinking we might regret giving bowe the big contract. Though if we get a # 1 wr id like bowe at #2'

ctchiefsfan
09-23-2013, 05:56 PM
I dunno if Bowe's lack of production is part of AR's scheme, but I do know he is not doing a whole lot to earn what he is being paid. That said, maybe he is the world's most expensive decoy. If the passing game breaks loose and everybody is all over Bowe but our other receivers are getting the job done I'm cool with that. Equally so if Bowe starts producing. I'm willing to take a "wait and see" attitude on Bowe for a while.

matthewschiefs
09-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Im sure reid will go after a wr in the offseason either FA pr draft. Bowe would be a great #2 wr. Mccluster is not tall enough to play wr and I never liked him cuz hes to easy to tackle and is so overhyped by coaches saying he can be a weapon but he hasnt done nothing since hes been in the nfl. I dont like him on returns either. Hes to risky. He should call for fair catches more often cuz hes cutting it close with defenders with one step away from him. Im thinking we might regret giving bowe the big contract. Though if we get a # 1 wr id like bowe at #2'

Mccluster needs the ball in space. With his size you're right he's not going to be breaking many tackles. His best use has been out of the backfield if they could give him 4 to 5 carries out of the backfield a game and spare Charles from getting 20 carries along with the times he gets the ball out of the passing game which has gone up with Reid I think that would be his best use. If they would use him at Wr they need to use him to get some quick screen passes. If he gets the ball in space he can be elusive.

I dunno if Bowe's lack of production is part of AR's scheme, but I do know he is not doing a whole lot to earn what he is being paid. That said, maybe he is the world's most expensive decoy. If the passing game breaks loose and everybody is all over Bowe but our other receivers are getting the job done I'm cool with that. Equally so if Bowe starts producing. I'm willing to take a "wait and see" attitude on Bowe for a while.

The thing with Bowe is he has a history of taking games off. Hes been quiet in alot of big spots. I really get frustrated with him at times. He has talent to be one of the top WRs in the game there's just something about him which is holding him back. And that's he allows himself to be held down and against some pretty poor ds at times. Like Tampa last year ranked 30th in passing defense at the time we played them and he had a pretty quiet game Most frustrating player on the team IMO

Eydugstr
09-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Agreed about Bowe, MC. I'm surprised that he hasn't drawn the wrath of Reid in the middle of a game. We really need him to step it up.

ctchiefsfan
09-23-2013, 08:26 PM
The thing with Bowe is he has a history of taking games off. Hes been quiet in alot of big spots. I really get frustrated with him at times. He has talent to be one of the top WRs in the game there's just something about him which is holding him back. And that's he allows himself to be held down and against some pretty poor ds at times. Like Tampa last year ranked 30th in passing defense at the time we played them and he had a pretty quiet game Most frustrating player on the team IMO

Yeah....that would be Bowe. But I am cool with him not getting big numbers and big yards if he is in double coverage all day and the other receivers are open. He would be a VERY EXPENSIVE decoy, but if his being doubled is getting others open then I am OK with that. Remains to be seen if that is what is going on.

Justin5772002
09-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Remains to be seen but once we are trailing in a game I think we get Bowe more involved. Reid said it himself that the bigger throws are coming when we need them

texaschief
09-24-2013, 01:02 AM
I don't think we should expect too much from the offense right now. That side of the ball is still trying to figure out their identity. Brand new offense, coach, OC, QB, players, etc... I'm not going to panic about the offense until I see what they're doing after the bye week. It usually takes a new system like this at least half the season to kind of gel together and create that identitiy. This staff has some pretty incredible minds working on it.

The Chiefs are going to lean on this defense for the first half of the season. Things are going to get interesting coming off that bye week. The Chiefs schedule is backloaded with the better teams they'll play this season, which is what you would want. NYG, TN, OAK, HOU, CLE, and BUF are the teams left to play before that bye week. I don't see one of those teams where I can say without a doubt that the Chiefs will lose. I'm pretty sure they'll lose a couple, I just don't know which. But if I told you the Chiefs would be 7-2 heading into the bye, I don't think anyone on this board would've turned that down at the beginning of the year.

A 7-2 record with 7 games to play bodes rather well for the Chiefs' chances at the playoffs. Also, we should take into account that Andy Reid is 13-1 coming off a bye. What kind of message would that send the league if the Chiefs went into Milehigh and took down the league darlings? Home for the Chargers and Broncos again, then off to WSH and OAK. Two home games (albeit definitely not gimme games) at a chilly Arrowhead could seal things for the Chiefs and the playoffs.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Chiefs keep things conservative while they still can against these first 9 opponents. Don't give those good teams anything to prepare for and then knock them out coming off the bye week.

brdempsey69
09-24-2013, 02:03 AM
Bottom line is, by the time this season over, we'll all have most certainly enjoyed watching this 2013 edition of the Chiefs than the 2012 edition. That's already a given. And the future looks good.

Seek
09-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Mccluster needs the ball in space. With his size you're right he's not going to be breaking many tackles. His best use has been out of the backfield if they could give him 4 to 5 carries out of the backfield a game and spare Charles from getting 20 carries along with the times he gets the ball out of the passing game which has gone up with Reid I think that would be his best use. If they would use him at Wr they need to use him to get some quick screen passes. If he gets the ball in space he can be elusive.

McClusters best use is as a decoy or a catch in the flat for 4 yards and every once in a while a 10 yard gain. Seeing him the back field getting tackled by the wind for a 1 yard loss needs to be stricken from the game plan forever specially from the start of the game. He gets tackled way to easy to run the ball from scrimmage.

brdempsey69
09-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Going into that 2010 draft, there was no way that you could convince me that McCluster was a better prospect than Golden Tate, who had played under Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame. The Chiefs passed on Tate twice in the 2nd round & I was livid. Tate ran a 4.36 at the Combine compared to Dex's 4.52 and was a much more polished receiver & has become a very good player up in Seattle.

I'll never understand what Pioli/Haley were thinking with the way they wasted those two 2 round picks the way they did in that 2010 draft.

jason1981
09-24-2013, 11:41 AM
I just hope reid smart enough to realize that mccluster is no good. Hes all hype.

Seek
09-24-2013, 12:40 PM
I just hope reid smart enough to realize that mccluster is no good. Hes all hype.

I don't believe they Knew that. The game plan against Philly apppeared to be a MCluster focused game plan. They went to McCluster a bunch the first two drives in which failed so they may have realized it in game. But just when everone counts him out, he ends up having a good game with some big gains. But those are on calm days when the wind doesn't blow him over.

Lord-Chiefy
09-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I wanted Tate as well.. I was yelling at tv

Eydugstr
09-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Going into that 2010 draft, there was no way that you could convince me that McCluster was a better prospect than Golden Tate, who had played under Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame. The Chiefs passed on Tate twice in the 2nd round & I was livid. Tate ran a 4.36 at the Combine compared to Dex's 4.52 and was a much more polished receiver & has become a very good player up in Seattle.

I'll never understand what Pioli/Haley were thinking with the way they wasted those two 2 round picks the way they did in that 2010 draft.

Remember being shocked when the drafted McCluster. We needed so many other things, and after we initially used him as a kickoff/punt returner, thought "..Okay, he's got some potential there." Afterwards they tried to make him a running back (?!?) and a reciever. Neither has panned out, so I say until he starts proving his worth, keep him on kick returns. Another over-hyped player that Pioli gambled on in the draft (Pioli couldn't draft unless there was some sort of risk factor, much like he couldn't sign a free agent if it didn't come from NE.)

matthewschiefs
09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Remember being shocked when the drafted McCluster. We needed so many other things, and after we initially used him as a kickoff/punt returner, thought "..Okay, he's got some potential there." Afterwards they tried to make him a running back (?!?) and a reciever. Neither has panned out, so I say until he starts proving his worth, keep him on kick returns. Another over-hyped player that Pioli gambled on in the draft (Pioli couldn't draft unless there was some sort of risk factor, much like he couldn't sign a free agent if it didn't come from NE.)

Mccluster hasn't been bad as a runner. He's averaging 4.5 YPC for his career and he did a realy nice job in 2011 helping to fill in for Charles. Last season he was averaging almost 6 ypc but they only gave him the ball 12times he's more fit for a rb then wr

brdempsey69
09-24-2013, 04:20 PM

Not only that, but you knew that McCluster & Arenas were never going to be full-time starters and nothing more than situational players that should not have been drafted above the 4th round. So for Pioli to not just spend one 2nd round pick on a situational player, but to do it TWICE in the same draft had me thinking "it's official, the Chiefs have a retard for a GM".

Dorsey/Reid's first draft in 2013 wasn't spectacular on paper, but the choices made sense & they came away with a handful of promising players. Even the selection of Knile Davis at the end of round 3, even though it was a gamble somewhat, the upside was there and they don't have to rush him, as long as Charles stays healthy. Plus, you don't coach 4.37 speed and the Chiefs did need another speed back. Plus, jumping all over Tyler Bray as soon as they saw he was undrafted & they may have hit the jackpot there and got their QBOTF.

Mccluster hasn't been bad as a runner. He's averaging 4.5 YPC for his career and he did a realy nice job in 2011 helping to fill in for Charles. Last season he was averaging almost 6 ypc but they only gave him the ball 12times he's more fit for a rb then wr

Agreed. They'd be better served to use McCluster as a part time RB, instead of a full-time slot WR.

Eydugstr
09-25-2013, 11:25 AM

I'd agree he's far from horrible. McCluster is great as long as he's used in the right way. From what I've seen so far that best way is kick returns. The guy just strikes me as being too small to be an effective RB.

Seek
09-25-2013, 12:42 PM
I'd agree he's far from horrible. McCluster is great as long as he's used in the right way. From what I've seen so far that best way is kick returns. The guy just strikes me as being too small to be an effective RB.

To me, McCluster is obsolete. Demps has beaten him out of the kick return role and the one kick off McCluster got last week, he dropped, picked up and got tackled by the first guy as always. Every other tackle of McCluster usually comes with a OOOOH from teh opposing teams fans as it looks like a big hit, but reality is there is no subtance to McCluster to give any resistence to the tackler so it always looks like he is getting lit up.

As far as running back, he is a gimmick running back. He gets junk yards at the end of quarter when teams give up the short yards to prevent a big play or gets 6 yards when we need 20. As far as running backs, I would rather use the actual running backs Davis and Gray.

McCluster is better used as as 5th receiver behind Bowe, Avery and Hemmingway and the TE of the week, to run out in the flat and catch a dump off for 6 yards when we need 4 and everyone else took the defense deep.

brdempsey69
09-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Bottom line is Pioli had no business drafting McCluster at #36 overall with as many good football players that were still on the board in the 2010 draft. McCluster's college teammate, Kendrick Lewis, on the other hand was a great value pick in the 5th round of that same draft & I wasn't surprised at all that he became an instant starter and stayed there.

After this season, McCluster, Asamoah, Lewis, and TJ all have their rookie contracts expire. Lewis, Asamoah, and TJ must stay. McCluster must go.

Eydugstr
09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Bottom line is Pioli had no business drafting McCluster at #36 overall with as many good football players that were still on the board in the 2010 draft. McCluster's college teammate, Kendrick Lewis, on the other hand was a great value pick in the 5th round of that same draft & I wasn't surprised at all that he became an instant starter and stayed there.

After this season, McCluster, Asamoah, Lewis, and TJ all have their rookie contracts expire. Lewis, Asamoah, and TJ must stay. McCluster must go.

Still scratching my head over that draft. It did bring some talent in, but to me it was the wrong kind of talent. We really, really needed O-line or blocking help, and instead Pioli went after a bunch of small-ish running backs & defensive backs (my guess is Pioli was thinking "...If I can just find the next Dante Hall...Ticket sales will go up, and I'll look like a genius.") It didn't even dawn on Pioli to seriously consider the O-line until his last draft. By that point, everyone was banged up physically and mentally.

brdempsey69
09-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Still scratching my head over that draft. It did bring some talent in, but to me it was the wrong kind of talent. We really, really needed O-line or blocking help, and instead Pioli went after a bunch of small-ish running backs & defensive backs (my guess is Pioli was thinking "...If I can just find the next Dante Hall...Ticket sales will go up, and I'll look like a genius.") It didn't even dawn on Pioli to seriously consider the O-line until his last draft. By that point, everyone was banged up physically and mentally.

That is precisely what got him fired. He insisted on Cassel as his QB, but did very little to address the O-Line in front of him ( Weigmann and Lilja were stop-gap measures ) & acted as if you could just pick guys off the street ( like O'Callaghan ) and throw them in as starters & there wasn't anything to worry about. Of course, opposing Defensive front 7's weren't fooled by it and Cassel got beaten into a zombie.

Thank goodness, that the new regime understands the importance of the big guys up front and Dorsey went on record as saying he would build from front-to-back and from the inside-out through the draft. He'll snag the Grade-A quality BEEF at the top of the draft if it's there.

Eydugstr
09-26-2013, 08:24 AM
To me, McCluster is obsolete. Demps has beaten him out of the kick return role and the one kick off McCluster got last week, he dropped, picked up and got tackled by the first guy as always. Every other tackle of McCluster usually comes with a OOOOH from teh opposing teams fans as it looks like a big hit, but reality is there is no subtance to McCluster to give any resistence to the tackler so it always looks like he is getting lit up.

As far as running back, he is a gimmick running back. He gets junk yards at the end of quarter when teams give up the short yards to prevent a big play or gets 6 yards when we need 20. As far as running backs, I would rather use the actual running backs Davis and Gray.

McCluster is better used as as 5th receiver behind Bowe, Avery and Hemmingway and the TE of the week, to run out in the flat and catch a dump off for 6 yards when we need 4 and everyone else took the defense deep.

That very well may be true, other teams that were initially caught off guard about McCluster's strengths as a player might now have caught on, which would explain a lot. I'm still not sold on the guy being a running back, but Reid's probably going to throw him out there in a bunch of different situations just to experiment.

Seek
09-30-2013, 08:36 AM
You see, just as I said. As soon as you as you write McCluster off he goes off and has a great game. Now, he didn't carry the ball out of the back field and was used as a 4th WR in the flat most of the time which where I think he should be used, but he always makes me eat my words one game out of 10. So I will continue to talk bad on him and see if he can consitently make me eat my words.

Next week The Chiefs will game plan for him, as will the Titans and he will be silenced.

ctchiefsfan
09-30-2013, 11:05 AM
You see, just as I said. As soon as you as you write McCluster off he goes off and has a great game. Now, he didn't carry the ball out of the back field and was used as a 4th WR in the flat most of the time which where I think he should be used, but he always makes me eat my words one game out of 10. So I will continue to talk bad on him and see if he can consitently make me eat my words.

Next week The Chiefs will game plan for him, as will the Titans and he will be silenced.

If McCluster is silenced but that leaves someone else open then McCluster will have had a great game. Alex Smith seems to find a different receiver every week to be his favorite target. He also spreads the ball around a lot. Opposing defenses can't key on just one or two possible targets.

Seek
09-30-2013, 12:46 PM
If McCluster is silenced but that leaves someone else open then McCluster will have had a great game. Alex Smith seems to find a different receiver every week to be his favorite target. He also spreads the ball around a lot. Opposing defenses can't key on just one or two possible targets.

I just don't want the Chiefs thinking they have to give McCluster more touches. Use him just as they did this week, nothing more.

ctchiefsfan
09-30-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm not much worried about that. Reid seems to be good at spreading the ball around and finding out who is hot on any given day. I doubt this weeks performance will cause Reid to go to McCluster any more than he has been.

Seek
09-30-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm not much worried about that. Reid seems to be good at spreading the ball around and finding out who is hot on any given day. I doubt this weeks performance will cause Reid to go to McCluster any more than he has been.

They started out aginst the Eagles giving the ball to much to McCluster specially out of the back field.

ctchiefsfan
09-30-2013, 02:00 PM
I guess we will just have to wait and see.