PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith....Has to be done...game 3...what do you think?

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Been a lot of talk about Alex Smith here on Chiefscrowd since we traded for him.

Some say we paid WAAAY too much for him.

Some say he is Matt Cassel 1.2

Some say he is a "good game manager".

But I think it is only right that until we finally reach a consensus about him that we disect his play in every game until we reach an overwhelming conclusion.

So here are my thoughts.......

22-35. 63%

Net passing yards........248

Yards per attempt..........7.08

Yards per completion.........11.27

Interceptions....................ZERO

Sacked........................5 times for a loss of 25 yards

Them's the numbers. Here's what I think.......

Alex Smith is a good QB. Give him a great team and you will go a long way.

He is no star. He's just a decent+ or maybe decent++ quarterback. He won't win you a whole lot of games on his own but he won't lose you any games.

Lots of quarterbacks like that in the NFL.

Here's what makes Alex Smith a little different from so many other "decent+" quarterbacks......

Alex Smith is a "clutch" quarterback. He can have a lousy game and get chased all over the field, but after throwing no INTs, he will put together one clutch drive when it really counts. He'll lock the lead away or maybe even GOD FORBID get you that go ahead score.

I LIKE Alex Smith.

I don't think he is going to win us a SuperBowl, but I think he is going to be an important part of making our Chiefs respectable again...and maybe get us a playoff win or two.

From there it is up to Reid and Dorsey.

So what does everybody else think????

spiman
09-21-2013, 02:41 AM
1 or 2 Tight ends, A deep threat wide receiver, a healthy 24 and the rest.. and the rooks get there.. The chiefs would have things

TopekaRoy
09-21-2013, 05:55 AM
If Herm Edwards did nothing else, he taught us that "you play to win the game!" (Like we didn't know that already.)

So if you want to win, it would be nice to have the winningest QB in the NFL on your team, wouldn't it?

Since the start of the 2011 season (minimum 20 starts) guess which QB has the highest winning percentage in the NFL.

It's not Aaron Rogers. It's not Tom Brady. It's not Drew Brees or Matt Ryan ...

It's Alex Smith! His .815 winning percentage (27-5) is the best in the NFL. Peyton Manning would be slightly higher at .833 (15-3) but he misses the list with only 18 starts. Still, it's pretty close. Smith has played 14 more games than Peyton in that stretch and only lost 2 more!

Say he lacks arm strength, he can't make the big plays, he's too conservative. Call him a "game manager." None of that matters. All Alex Smith does is win football games.

and ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42iiCcFbxE

NJChiefs
09-21-2013, 08:06 AM
You can do anything you want with statistics. " yards per completion, 11.27" but he completed only one downfield pass of more than 10 yards. It was inflated by yards after the catch. " interceptions = ZERO". I would hope not. It would be very sad if he was interception prone on dink and dunk passing. " Sacks = five" would be a lot higher if he had to hold the ball any longer in an attempt to actully complete a downfield pass. " 22 of 35, 63% ". 1 of 4, 25% on downfield passes. And you did forget, touchdowns=zero. Now I know we're not playing in a fantasy league, and we are 3-0, but ultimately our goal is to win a division and Super Bowl. Until i see some downfield accuracy, I will continue to have my doubts that this is anything more than a nice three game stretch. We are winning because of our defense and turnover differential. How long can we continue to have NO turnovers. Can anyone name off the top of their head a Super Bowl winner this century without a marquee quarterback and highly ranked offense ... oh ... ok ... Trent Dilfer. But I would so rather have Trent Green behind center than Trent Dilfer ... or Alex Smith for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I like Alex Smith, and was at the game on Thursday night defending him from the Philly thug verbal abuse and wearing my red proudly, but I want to see us win it all within the next few years.

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Confucious say.......

"There are liars.

There are damned liars.

Then there are statisticians."

I took a statistics class in college back in the day when computers were great big behemoths and were programmed with punch cards. The one thing I learned from that class is that anyone with half a brain can twist the statistics to make them "prove" anything you want. I am not trying to do that.

My purpose in this thread was not to say Alex Smith is great. Nor was it to say Alex Smith is mediocre at best. I wasn't trying to make any point at all. I'm just trying to get a discussion going on what has been a hotly debated topic since we traded for him. No matter what I or anyone else says, we are probably going to have Alex Smith as our QB (if he is healthy) for at least this year and next. So I think it is appropriate that we take a look at him every game and see how he has done....both in that game and cumulatively.

I really should have put some cumulative stats in my thread starter post last night, but it was late and I was tired after work. So I am going to update the stats a little bit.....

Smith vs. Iggles.....

22-35. 63%

Net passing yards........248

Yards per attempt..........7.08

Yards per completion.........11.27

Interceptions....................ZERO

Sacked........................5 times for a loss of 25 yards

Smith cumulative since the start of the regular season......

64-105. 60.95%

Net yards passing....669 (223 per game)

Net Yards per attempt......6.62

Net Yards per completion.......10.45

Interceptions....ZERO

Fumbles.............1

Fumbles lost.........ZERO

Sacked......10 times for a loss of 51 yards.

Record.....3-0

Again....I am not trying to say Alex Smith is great. I'm not trying to say Alex Smith sucks. I am NOT MMO/MMH and I'm not trying to use "cherry-picked stats" to prove something. I'm just trying to get everyone to have a reasoned conversation about the guy who is (like it or not) likely to be our quarterback for at least this year and next.

Looking at the stats it seems to me that Alex Smith is a competent quarterback. Maybe a little more than that but not a whole lot. And certainly he is not one of the "all time greats". He is not either of the Mannings, or Montana or, or, or. Lots of quarterbacks out there over the years that were WAAAAAY better than Alex Smith.

But it also seems to me that if you put a real good team around Alex Smith you are going to win a lot of games....maybe even some playoff games.

Perhaps most importantly, it seems that Alex Smith while he may not win any games single-handedly he certainly isn't going to lose any games all by himself either. (We've had quarterbacks that could do that).

Lastly, I'm starting to think that "in the clutch" Alex Smith may be a very good quarterback. Against Dallas he came through with the drive we needed to protect the lead. He did the same against Philthy. Both those games he was not much impressive through most of the game, but both times he put together (or perhaps I should say the team put together) a drive when we needed it most.

Is it possible that we have one of those magical quarterbacks that plays to a whole different level when the game is on the line late in the 4th quarter?

All in all, 3-0.....I'm happy with Alex Smith so far. But I am certainly not ready to announce that we have a great quarterback.

In my mind, the jury is still out but I am cautiously optimistic.

kcvet
09-21-2013, 09:38 AM
1 or 2 Tight ends, A deep threat wide receiver, a healthy 24 and the rest.. and the rooks get there.. The chiefs would have things

this

TopekaRoy
09-21-2013, 10:10 AM
You can do anything you want with statistics.

Except make them up. Well, you could make them up but you would lose all credibility.

... Now I know we're not playing in a fantasy league, and we are 3-0, but ultimately our goal is to win a division and Super Bowl.

I agree. The only stat that matters is wins and losses, and who has the best winning percentage in the last 3 seasons? Oh, that's right. Alex Smith!

Until i see some downfield accuracy, I will continue to have my doubts that this is anything more than a nice three game stretch.

You're right. it's an anomaly. it's unsustainable. You can't possibly go, say, 13-3 with a QB like Alex---Unless you are the 49ers. That's what they did in 2011. They also came within 4 points of going to the Super bowl.

The next season they started out 6-2 before Smith got hurt and lost his job to Kaepernick. They actually did slightly worse with Colin, going 5-2-1 the rest of the way en route to a the Super bowl.

We are winning because of our defense and turnover differential.

How did the 49ers win so many games with Alex? in 2011 and 2012 they were 2nd in the NFL in points allowed. Where are the Chiefs? 1st. In 2011 they were 6th in turnover ratio and in 2012 they were 1st. Where are the Chiefs? 1st.

The 49ers were ranked low in passing yards both years, but they had a strong running game with Frank Gore eating up clock and grinding out yards. I'll take Jamaal Charles over Gore any day.

... Can anyone name off the top of their head a Super Bowl winner this century without a marquee quarterback and highly ranked offense ... oh ... ok ... Trent Dilfer.

You're right. You can't win a Super Bowl with a game manager like Smith or Dilfer unless you have a great defense. We do.

Now I'm not saying we are going to get to the Super Bowl, this year. I think we need to get better in several areas and are probably a year or two away.

But I'm not saying we can't get to the Super Bowl with Alex Smith at quarterback, either.

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Topeka.......your enthusiasm is starting to overcome my natural caution that comes from being a long term Chiefs fan.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!

TopekaRoy
09-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Topeka.......your enthusiasm is starting to overcome my natural caution that comes from being a long term Chiefs fan.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!

That's ... what I do.

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Just don't get me too excited buddy! There have been SOOOOO many disappointments over the years. My caution is armor against heartbreak.

kcvet
09-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Just don't get me too excited buddy! There have been SOOOOO many disappointments over the years. My caution is armor against heartbreak.

my disappointments go back to the late 60's and 70's. at my age ill jump for joy at just 1 PO win

Sick Dog
09-21-2013, 10:31 AM
We only have 3 games to judge and I will say he is clutch...not always lighting it up but when needed to get it done he has with the most recent example of a 95 yard drive to win the game and eat the clock...I will say it again 3rd and 10 from the 5...first down...sure the receiver has to make it happen but a lot can go wrong there and the pass has to be almost perfect for it to all happen...they don't score on that drive and it can be over...before the last game he was perfect in the red zone and I will give him and the offense the benefit of the doubt on a short week...I will take a QB like Smith any day over a gunslinger like Jeff George or Jamarcus Russell they have won nothing...even the top tier QBs that have won needed defense in most cases to win it all...defense wins championships

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 10:37 AM
my disappointments go back to the late 60's and 70's.

Mine too. I still remember the New York Times article at the start of the '71 or '72 season....."Taylor Glue Fingered". That was the start of the disappointments. With the exception of the Montana years it's been a long hard road since then.

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 10:42 AM
We only have 3 games to judge and I will say he is clutch...not always lighting it up but when needed to get it done he has with the most recent example of a 95 yard drive to win the game and eat the clock...I will say it again 3rd and 10 from the 5...first down...sure the receiver has to make it happen but a lot can go wrong there and the pass has to be almost perfect for it to all happen...they don't score on that drive and it can be over...before the last game he was perfect in the red zone and I will give him and the offense the benefit of the doubt on a short week...I will take a QB like Smith any day over a gunslinger like Jeff George or Jamarcus Russell they have won nothing...even the top tier QBs that have won needed defense in most cases to win it all...defense wins championships

I know....it's hard not to get excited about this team. What is so strange is that it is old fashioned football. Like back in the day when they used to say "Defense wins championships". Here we are in an NFL that thinks offense is everything yet we are winning games with defense. Maybe the "worm is turning" and we are at the forefront of a new/old movement in the NFL.....

TopekaRoy
09-21-2013, 10:45 AM

Don't let a fear of the lows keep you from fully enjoying the highs!

Just keep everything in perspective. It's just football. It's pure entertainment.How the Chiefs do should have no direct effect on your daily lives or rob you of other joys.

It's been quite a while since the Chiefs looked this good. Enjoy it while it is here, because it won't last forever.

Lord-Chiefy
09-21-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't think anything that's what wrong is nearly Smiths Falls we have no offense of line I think the coaches are free to call certain place I think he would absolutely do better with a different office of coordinator

TopekaRoy
09-21-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't think anything that's what wrong is nearly Smiths Falls we have no offense of line I think the coaches are free to call certain place I think he would absolutely do better with a different office of coordinator

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5NUjp5AZKgo/Tc33KNos-RI/AAAAAAAACtk/ZiNF3Mqq09A/s320/Huh.jpg

kcvet
09-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Don't let a fear of the lows keep you from fully enjoying the highs!

Just keep everything in perspective. It's just football. It's pure entertainment.How the Chiefs do should have no direct effect on your daily lives or rob you of other joys.

It's been quite a while since the Chiefs looked this good. Enjoy it while it is here, because it won't last forever.

you must be physic pal. we had a sportscaster here named Don Fourtune, back in the 70's who said about the same. "its just a game". man did his phone lines light up

TopekaRoy
09-21-2013, 10:59 AM
you must be physic pal. we had a sportscaster here named Don Fourtune, back in the 70's who said about the same. "its just a game". man did his phone lines light up

:lol: Sacrilege, I know!

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 11:03 AM
I just want one more damned Superbowl before I take the big dirt nap.

kcvet
09-21-2013, 11:10 AM

i have the same problem. my cure

http://oi44.tinypic.com/1o9buv.jpg

NJChiefs
09-21-2013, 11:10 AM
I know....it's hard not to get excited about this team. What is so strange is that it is old fashioned football. Like back in the day when they used to say "Defense wins championships". Here we are in an NFL that thinks offense is everything yet we are winning games with defense. Maybe the "worm is turning" and we are at the forefront of a new/old movement in the NFL.....

I was around back in the day when defenses won championships, and remember fondly our team of 1969/70. Oh what a defense we had. And the offense was similar in many ways to ours presently in that we didn't light up the scoreboard routinely, but had serious talent at skill positions, Taylor = Bowe, Garrett = Charles. The difference is we had an All-Pro O-Line (Budde, Tyrer, etc) protecting a Hall of Fame quarterback (Dawson). I want to believe that Alex Smith will lead us to the Hallowed Ground ... Oh how I want to believe... but...

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 11:14 AM
PERFECT POST.....just leave out the "but"......Not this year I don't think, but I think maybe....just possibly.....we're getting close.

kcvet
09-21-2013, 11:32 AM
I was around back in the day when defenses won championships, and remember fondly our team of 1969/70. Oh what a defense we had. And the offense was similar in many ways to ours presently in that we didn't light up the scoreboard routinely, but had serious talent at skill positions, Taylor = Bowe, Garrett = Charles. The difference is we had an All-Pro O-Line (Budde, Tyrer, etc) protecting a Hall of Fame quarterback (Dawson). I want to believe that Alex Smith will lead us to the Hallowed Ground ... Oh how I want to believe... but...

unfortunately Stram didn't like rooks and traded em for experience. but the experience retired and we had nothing. I remember on sundays Arrowhead was a tomb.

brdempsey69
09-21-2013, 11:32 AM
All I got to say regarding this matter is that I believe Alex Smith and Andy Reid both deserve to have a Lombardi trophy to hoist.

Whether or not that happens remains to be seen. If it does happen, then I want it to be earned outright -- unlike the '97 and '98 Donkeys who had it given to them by the league office as a going away present to Elway because he wasn't good enough to win one outright.

drstandley31
09-21-2013, 07:03 PM
It's all new. They need to play together for several more games, and hopefully avoid key injuries. All 3 original TE's were out of the Philly game and we won. Flowers with a knee injury and their best receiver still didn't slice us up. This team is building something special. may be a little longer than we want, but they are building.

jason1981
09-21-2013, 09:36 PM
As long as we keep going forward and improving is the biggest thing. No steps back. If we can do that and win at the same time then super but when we lose if we didnt take a step back and we made progress then I can live with that. Just cant stand to lose by being sloppy.

brdempsey69
09-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Overall, the team is a work in progress, as was expected. The progress has gone well, but there's room for improvement, as well. If that improvement does happen, then the Chiefs have a chance to get to the post-season.

matthewschiefs
09-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Alex Smith has been GOOD very good for this team. Can he get better? Yes. There are things he needs to work on. But he is the least of the problems on offense right now. The biggest is figuring out why the O line has not given him time as much as they have without him getting time for himself by RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE. Some of that is on Fisher. He's a rookie and it's showing. But there has been pressure Way to quick from all areas of the line at times. And They also have to figure out why the Number 1 WR is getting out done on the field by the 3RD STRING Te.

What Smith has to work on is cutting out some of the bad throws that he has made at times. He's very lucky he didn't throw a couple of picks in the last couple of weeks. That's the biggest issue he has to get fixed quick the defenders at some point are going to stop dropping those. His luck will run out. The good news on all fronts here is that they have a mini bye week to get these fixed before the next game

ctchiefsfan
09-22-2013, 12:00 AM
This team is building something special. may be a little longer than we want, but they are building.

Exactly so!!!! Back during the summer and pre-season many of us said it would take a while for a new coach, new QB, lots of new players, new scheme to gel. And I'm really surprised at how well we have done so far. But like Andy Reid said....."I can't begin to tell you what a long way we have to go" (paraphrase not exact quote). We're 3-0 and our coach doesn't think we are playing anywhere near as good as we can and will. That's a very good sign.

Overall, the team is a work in progress, as was expected. The progress has gone well, but there's room for improvement, as well. If that improvement does happen, then the Chiefs have a chance to get to the post-season.

Hit the nail on the head!!! It's cool being 3-0, but there are still 13 games ahead. And we do need to make a lot of improvements if we want to win somewhere between 7 and 10 of them. The progress is HUGELY encouraging and what is even better in my mind is that Reid say we still have a long way to go. Reid isn't saying "OH WOW! Look at what I've done!" Instead he is saying "OH SHI*!!! Look at all the work I still have to do!" That is the kind of attitude that wins championships!

Alex Smith has been GOOD very good for this team. Can he get better? Yes. There are things he needs to work on. But he is the least of the problems on offense right now. The biggest is figuring out why the O line has not given him time as much as they have without him getting time for himself by RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE. Some of that is on Fisher. He's a rookie and it's showing. But there has been pressure Way to quick from all areas of the line at times. And They also have to figure out why the Number 1 WR is getting out done on the field by the 3RD STRING Te.

What Smith has to work on is cutting out some of the bad throws that he has made at times. He's very lucky he didn't throw a couple of picks in the last couple of weeks. That's the biggest issue he has to get fixed quick the defenders at some point are going to stop dropping those. His luck will run out. The good news on all fronts here is that they have a mini bye week to get these fixed before the next game

Another most excellent post! We are doing GREAT for where we are as a team. But like Reid said, we have a long way to go before we are playing up to our potential. What is a little scary id what we could do if we start playing up to the level that Reid thinks we can get to this season. If we can get there, then challenging the Donks for the Division is a real possibility. And if we do that, we'll have paid 2 second round picks for our QB instead of $100 million.

brdempsey69
09-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Hit the nail on the head!!! It's cool being 3-0, but there are still 13 games ahead. And we do need to make a lot of improvements if we want to win somewhere between 7 and 10 of them. The progress is HUGELY encouraging and what is even better in my mind is that Reid say we still have a long way to go. Reid isn't saying "OH WOW! Look at what I've done!" Instead he is saying "OH SHI*!!! Look at all the work I still have to do!" That is the kind of attitude that wins championships!

Goes back to what I said in another thread some time ago. You have to have the aspiration to want to win a championship to begin with or you'll never get there. The Pioli regime didn't have that aspiration, at least not evidenced by some of the decisions that he made & the way he ran the front office. So glad that Clark Hunt moved swiftly to make the changes that he did after the 2012 disaster, as everybody and their brother knew they were badly needed.

ctchiefsfan
09-22-2013, 12:18 AM
YUP! I don't give enough credit to Clark Hunt for what he did. He showed a real commitment to fixing what was wrong. As I see it, Clark got his claws in Reid and said "I don't care what you have to do....just build me a championship team". What more can a fan ask from an owner????

matthewschiefs
09-22-2013, 01:15 AM
YUP! I don't give enough credit to Clark Hunt for what he did. He showed a real commitment to fixing what was wrong. As I see it, Clark got his claws in Reid and said "I don't care what you have to do....just build me a championship team". What more can a fan ask from an owner????

I agree

There was A time when Herm and Carl were well wrecking the team that I thought Clark Hunt didn't care anything about winning and losing. But at that time he was just getting his feet wet he had not been the guy in charge very long so I guess I should cut him some slack and give him time to adjust into the role as the head guy of the franchise. And boy has he ever. I've been very impressed with him since the end of last year. The statement he put out how he was Not going to accept what we saw happen in KC last year then going out and MAKING Andy Reid WANT to come to a 2-14 team and he had other options. Clark Hunt can't get enough praise for the job he did this past offseason. I hope we see more of that going forward

ctchiefsfan
09-22-2013, 01:34 AM
YUP! Crazy as it sounds, it seems to me that for a while Andy Reid was actually our GM. Clark grabbed Reid and said "just tell me who and what we need to win again". From that sprang Dorsey and all the new coaching staff. And from that our draft choices and free agent pickups. Or anyway that is the way it appears to me. Lamar would be proud of his son. And Chiefs fans should be proud of him to. He done good. He saved a proud team and fan base from the hell that Jags fans face.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!

texaschief
09-22-2013, 02:32 AM
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over "The winningest QB since the start of 2011."

Yeah... THAT guy... he's 3-0 as a Chief.

The End.

ctchiefsfan
09-22-2013, 04:36 AM
So sad....The guy that needs to be reading this is MIA.

brdempsey69
09-22-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over "The winningest QB since the start of 2011."

Yeah... THAT guy... he's 3-0 as a Chief.

The End.

Yeah, that guy. Whom, I had told people before to give the same chance to that they would to a QB being drafted #1 overall. Whom, I told people that I did not give a damn what happened with him in SF, because it's what happens with him in KC that counts. Whom, is making many Chiefs fans realize that a QB in professional football is paid to WIN, not put up fantasy football numbers.

brdempsey69
09-22-2013, 04:40 PM
And while we are on the subject of Clark making the moves that he did last off-season, we also need to send out a big thank you to Dick Vermeil for telling Andy Reid to jump all over the chance t become the Chiefs HC, in addition to Vermeil's 5 years of service as HC ( and that prolific Offense that he put together ).

ctchiefsfan
09-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Good point brdempsey! DV did us a good turn encouraging Reid to come here. A lot of established coaches wouldn't have wanted to come here after last years debacle.

brdempsey69
09-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Let's look at what's transpiring with Alex Smith's former team. They look like a team that could be in trouble, as opponents have figured out how to defend CK and the pistol Offense ( Indy stopped them cold ) & many 49er fans had posted around the web that the 49ers Defense seemed to suffer from the change from Alex to CK.

I had said before that the Niners getting rid of Alex Smith could potentially backfire on them & the Niners last two drafts do not seem to have yielded a whole lot in spite of the number of picks that they have had.

ctchiefsfan
09-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Interesting points......I'm not sure why the 9ers defense would suffer because of a change in QB but it's surely possible.

The trouble the 9ers are having this year is interesting though. I don't claim to know a lot about football, but I'm inclined to believe that their troubles this year are psychological. In short, they have lost their "mojo". The last 2 years they had a certain confidence that they were going to win. And when a team becomes "confident" they are going to win then they have a tendency to win. In fact a team with that kind of confidence becomes darned near unbeatable....if they are a good team to begin with. Give a good team that "confidence" and they are just very very hard to beat. That "confidence can take a good team and make them spectacular. But once they lose that "confidence" the crash can be spectacular. If they start questioning themselves things can go very wrong very quickly. I think that right now they are all wondering what has gone wrong and when you start questioning yourself you're in trouble.

I think the reverse is what is happening in KC. Reid seems to have made the Chiefs believe they will win.

Next weekend against the Giants has me a little worried though. They are 0-3 and I don't see them as an 0-3 team. They are going to break this losing streak.....it's only a matter of when. With every loss, the mathematical odds that the next weekend is going to be the weekend they break out of their slump increases. I'd hate for them to be playing our Chiefs the week that the math comes calling. Makes me especially glad we are playing them after a "mini bye week" and at Arrowhead.

GO CHIEFS!!!!

brdempsey69
09-23-2013, 01:20 PM
ctchiefsfan,

What the 49ers fans had made reference to as far as the change in QB's hurting their Defense, is that their Defense was spending a lot more time on the field & it was clearly evident yesterday against the Colts.

And yes, the Chiefs need to be very wary of the Giants & view this game as a potential "trap game". The Giants, to me, represent a sleeping giant ( pun intended ) that could awaken at any time and historically, the Giants have shown only their best when playing against the Chiefs. The Chiefs cannot afford to squander opportunities like they did against Philly because they are liable to find out the hard way that the Giants may not be so forgiving.

And Alex Smith is certainly aware of what's happened the last two times he's faced the Giants.

Hopefully, Andy Reid will be the difference this time & will erase history and the Chiefs come away with a win.

ctchiefsfan
09-23-2013, 01:26 PM
ctchiefsfan,

What the 49ers fans had made reference to as far as the change in QB's hurting their Defense. is that their Defense was spending a lot more time on the field & it was clearly evident yesterday against the Colts.

And yes, the Chiefs need to be very wary of the Giants & view this game as a potential "trap game". The Giants, to me represent a sleeping giant ( pun intended ) that could awaken at any time and historically, the Giants have shown only their best when playing against the Chiefs. The Chiefs cannot afford to squander opportunities like they did against Philly because they are liable to find out the hard way that the Giants may not be so forgiving.

And Alex Smith is certainly aware of what's happened the last two times he's faced the Giants.

Hopefully, Andy Reid will be the difference this time & will erase history and the Chiefs come away with a win.

Thanks for explaining that! Should have been obvious, but I guess I wasn't quite awake yet. A "quick strike" offense can be very effective but can also generate a whole new set of problems.

As to Reid erasing history......he seems to be doing a pretty good job so far!!!

brdempsey69
09-23-2013, 05:18 PM
I just saw an interview with Andy Reid and he made it clear to the media that you cannot get caught up in what has happened with the Giants thus far and did mention something to the effect of "any given Sunday" -- smart thinking, there.

ctchiefsfan
09-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Given the troubles we have had with the Giants, I can't think of a coach I would rather have getting us ready for this game. I'm just real glad it is KC.

jason1981
09-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Yeah reod knows there a sleeping giant and hopefully the dont wake up thos week. Glad its a home game.

kcvet
09-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Reid knows them to a T also

azchiefsfan
09-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Aaron Rogers is as good a QB as there is in the league today. Yet he struggles behind a poor offensive line. Far too many folks here have tunnel vision in regard to the QB position. Smith is a very good QB, no qualifiers needed. We have a sub-par running game and terrible protection. Will Smith be Cassell II? Maybe, but like Cassel, he is a victim of a terrible line and NOT what is wrong with our offense. Don't tell me how great Charles was. He isn't THAT Jamaal anymore-probably never will be again either. Smith is the reason our offense is playing well enough to win. If he gets banged up like Cassel did, he will be Cassel II. p.s. Cassel was a decent QB with very little to work with. Same ol' same ol'. But we are winning and I am holding my breath that we can still keep our heads above water, because our offensive line and run game can't even tread water at this point. But we are a better team this year and that's a fact.

kcvet
09-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Aaron Rogers is as good a QB as there is in the league today. Yet he struggles behind a poor offensive line. Far too many folks here have tunnel vision in regard to the QB position. Smith is a very good QB, no qualifiers needed. We have a sub-par running game and terrible protection. Will Smith be Cassell II? Maybe, but like Cassel, he is a victim of a terrible line and NOT what is wrong with our offense. Don't tell me how great Charles was. He isn't THAT Jamaal anymore-probably never will be again either. Smith is the reason our offense is playing well enough to win. If he gets banged up like Cassel did, he will be Cassel II. p.s. Cassel was a decent QB with very little to work with. Same ol' same ol'. But we are winning and I am holding my breath that we can still keep our heads above water, because our offensive line and run game can't even tread water at this point. But we are a better team this year and that's a fact.

hard to evaluate any QB with a bad line. including Cassel

ctchiefsfan
09-23-2013, 06:12 PM
But we are a better team this year and that's a fact.

There it is!!!!! Dunno about anyone else, but I did not expect us to go from 2-14 to the Superbowl. Reid and Dorsey have improved this team dramatically both in terms of players and perhaps more importantly attitude.

I think we are going to beat the Giants by the hair of our chinny chin chin. But I'm not going into "crisis mode" if we don't.

Reid's rep is as some sort of offensive genious, yet we are winning games with defense. Given time I am confident Reid and Dorsey will build us a GREAT offense. Put that together with the kind of defense we are playing and I see a team with a real shot at the Superbowl.

But as I said.....I'm still confident we are going to sweep the NFC East.....just a little nervous about this giants game.

Eydugstr
09-23-2013, 08:06 PM

Agreed on many points. I'd also argue that Cassel was the victim of poor coaching, as well. Cassel was far from great but things would've been a whole lot easier if the guy didn't have to wait and see who popped out of the Pioli clown car next, in order to meet his new OC.

On JC I'd disagree because during the Philly game JC was breaking tackles that would've taken down a lot of other running backs. I think the thing that's holding JC back this year is a combination of just not getting his number called, along with getting adjusted to all the different formations that Reid has going on.

Eydugstr
09-23-2013, 08:19 PM
the Chiefs need to be very wary of the Giants & view this game as a potential "trap game". The Giants, to me, represent a sleeping giant ( pun intended ) that could awaken at any time and historically, the Giants have shown only their best when playing against the Chiefs. The Chiefs cannot afford to squander opportunities like they did against Philly because they are liable to find out the hard way that the Giants may not be so forgiving.

Next weekend against the Giants has me a little worried though. They are 0-3 and I don't see them as an 0-3 team. They are going to break this losing streak.....it's only a matter of when. With every loss, the mathematical odds that the next weekend is going to be the weekend they break out of their slump increases. I'd hate for them to be playing our Chiefs the week that the math comes calling. Makes me especially glad we are playing them after a "mini bye week" and at Arrowhead.

The Giants have me concerned as well. Not so much for our defense, where the D-line and linebackers are consistently playing well, but I'd like to see our offense put together more first downs, keep Eli on the sidelines and don't give him the chance to air it out. They are beatable, but they're also a lot better team than what was seen during the Panthers game.

TopekaRoy
09-23-2013, 08:25 PM
I just saw an interview with Andy Reid and he made it clear to the media that you cannot get caught up in what has happened with the Giants thus far and did mention something to the effect of "any given Sunday" -- smart thinking, there.

Coach Reid said that? I'm surprised!

Just kidding. Every coach says that about every team they play. When's the last you heard a coach say "I'm not worried about ______. They aren't very good. There's no way they will beat us on our home field."

It's just good strategy. First, you don't want to give your opponent bulletin board material. When Bears coach Marc Trestman talked about the 0-3 Vikings he spoke of Adrian Peterson and what a good defense they have with Jarred Allen. With the 0-3 Steelers, he talked about Big Ben being an elite Quarterback and how their stout defense had only given up 3 TDs in their first 2 games.

Second, this is the NFL and any team really CAN beat any other team. Any time your players believe they can't, they will probably lose. Overconfidence is usually they biggest factor in most upsets. To beat the teams you should beat everyone has to give 100% every game.

Now, having said all that, I agree with Reid completely. I think the Giants are much better than their record indicates and this is the perfect "trap game" for the Chiefs. But truthfully, they have given up 115 points in just 3 games and were shut out by the Panthers. They have also turned over the ball 13 times. If the Chiefs lose it won't be because they got beat by a better team. It will be because they weren't prepared, or underestimated their opponent.

brdempsey69
09-23-2013, 09:56 PM
..... When's the last you heard a coach say "I'm not worried about ______. They aren't very good. There's no way they will beat us on our home field."

It's just good strategy. First, you don't want to give your opponent bulletin board material........

I've never heard of a coach doing that, BUT I have heard of a team's owner doing it. George Preston Marshall was the owner of the Redskins in 1940 and after his Redskins beat the Bears in Chicago 7-3, Marshall had spoken publicly that "the Bears were a bunch of quitters & folded when the going got tough" and it just so happened the two teams met again for the 1940 NFL Championship in Washington.

Before the title game, Bears coach and founder George Halas handed press clippings of Marshall's remarks to his players and said "Gentlemen, this is what George Preston Marshall thinks of you. Well, I think you are a great football team. Go out there and prove it". They did.

The Bears totally annihilated the Redskins 73-0 in the 1940 NFL Championship game & it remains to this day the biggest blowout in NFL history.

Second, this is the NFL and any team really CAN beat any other team. Any time your players believe they can't, they will probably lose. Overconfidence is usually they biggest factor in most upsets. To beat the teams you should beat everyone has to give 100% every game.

Now, having said all that, I agree with Reid completely. I think the Giants are much better than their record indicates and this is the perfect "trap game" for the Chiefs. But truthfully, they have given up 115 points in just 3 games and were shut out by the Panthers. They have also turned over the ball 13 times. If the Chiefs lose it won't be because they got beat by a better team. It will be because they weren't prepared, or underestimated their opponent.

Precisely why I've been telling other Chiefs fans to show the Giants nothing but the utmost respect, as I've seen this scenario before where the Giants played like scrubs for several weeks in succession, then suddenly look like Supermen when they played the Chiefs.

Chiefster
09-24-2013, 01:57 AM
I hate playing win-less teams.