PDA

View Full Version : Can Justin Houston break the Sack Record?

AussieChiefsFan
09-21-2013, 03:12 AM
He's got 7.5 sacks in 3 games so far. At that pace he would end the season with a huge 40 sacks.

Now, obviously he is destined to have some not so sack-heavy games, but I still think the record of 22.5 sacks is well within reach.

TopekaRoy
09-21-2013, 05:20 AM
It's certainly possible but I think he will start seeing more double teams and that will mean more sacks for Poe, Hali and everyone else. He also needs to stay healthy but he seems to have been pretty durable so far.

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 10:12 AM
TopekaRoy is exactly right. The more pressure a single individual puts on the QB the more he is going to get double coverage. But with that said, with all the threats we have I think it is distinctly possible that we could set a single season sack record. And I do agree that Houston could threaten that 22.5 record.

Anybody know the most sacks recorded by a team in a 16 game season?

TopekaRoy
09-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Anybody know the most sacks recorded by a team in a 16 game season?

72 sacks in 1984 by DA Bears!

That's 4.5 sacks per game. Right now the Chiefs are averaging 5.0 sacks per game! :smile

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks Topeka! I remember that season. I was living in Prince Frederick, Md (Scumskin country) and my next door neighbor was a Bears fan. We watched football together all day every Sunday and Monday night for good luck. We'll be hard pressed to break that Bears record but it is not outside the realm of possibility. Can you say "refrigerator?"!

brdempsey69
09-21-2013, 11:54 AM
People do not know this & even though it may be unofficial, it is still a known fact that Deacon Jones in 1967 and Coy Bacon in 1976 sacked opposing QB's 26 times in a 14 game season.

HOF DE Doug Atkins said he believes that he has even more than that during a season in his heyday.

If Justin Houston does hit 26 by game 14, then that will be an impressive feat.

#58ChiefsFan
09-21-2013, 02:57 PM
With this defensive scheme, at this point, if these guys stay healthy anything is possible.

jason1981
09-21-2013, 09:30 PM
The nfl changed it 4.5 sacks on vick. The never cou.ted the last kne with the fumble cuz of human errror.

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2013, 11:21 PM
The nfl changed it 4.5 sacks on vick. The never cou.ted the last kne with the fumble cuz of human errror.

Color me stupid, but are you saying Houston officially got 4.5 sacks for the game?

matthewschiefs
09-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Justin Houston is bye far the best Pioli ERa pick. One of the best picks this team has made in a long long time

TopekaRoy
09-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Color me stupid, but are you saying Houston officially got 4.5 sacks for the game?

The Box Score on ESPN.com gives Houston 4.5 sacks. The scorekeeper originally failed to count the last sack that caused Vick to fumble and forced him out of the game. It would have been Chiefs ball on downs anyway and I think that created some confusion.

With the correction, he officially has 7.5 sacks for the season.

ctchiefsfan
09-22-2013, 12:05 AM
The Box Score on ESPN.com gives Houston 4.5 sacks. The scorekeeper originally failed to count the last sack that caused Vick to fumble and forced him out of the game. It would have been Chiefs ball on downs anyway and I think that created some confusion.

With the correction, he officially has 7.5 sacks for the season.

Thanks!!!!! Hard night at work tonight and I was confused.

ctchiefsfan
09-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Justin Houston is bye far the best Pioli ERa pick. One of the best picks this team has made in a long long time

You will get no arguments from me. I will say though that I think much of Houston's improvement is thanks to our new coaching staff. He always had the talent, but he needed better coaching to live up to his potential. They seem to be doing a great job of getting the very best out of most players. Scary thought is how good some of these players may become if we can keep the same coaching staff for several years.

kcvet
09-22-2013, 12:34 PM
the recored is held by DT but what year???

Jared Allen came close with 15 i think in 2007

Houstons' on line for 40. but i don't think he'll make it. as stated the opposing O lines will be forced to DT him. the beauty is that free's up Poe, Hali and derrick Johnson. barring injury the D beast is loose.

so for me the season is the O. can they jell, can the O line step up and get it done??? not so far but here's hoping they can put up enough pts for the D to polish it off.

what's the status on our TE injuries?? we need one bad !!!

garciakcfan
09-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Did anybody notice that tamba left about 3 sacks on the field that game? Houston is a beast but man tamba came close a lot too. I love watching this defense work.

brdempsey69
09-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Did anybody notice that tamba left about 3 sacks on the field that game? Houston is a beast but man tamba came close a lot too. I love watching this defense work.

Yes, I noticed that Tamba nearly had a couple or three more, but Vicks mobility bailed him out. Peyton Manning won't have that luxury & Tamba had given the Donkeys starting LT Clady problems in the past & now the Donks won't even have Clady in these upcoming contests.

JPPT1974
09-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Would be nice if he broke it!

jason1981
09-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Tamba didnt get the sack cuz he went for tge ball to tey and force a turnover. Vick holds the ball in one hand if you watch him play. Tamba went to swipe at the ball but Vick moved just in time and tamba missed.

jason1981
09-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Any yes its 4.5sacks for houston on vick.