PDA

View Full Version : Our Defense Looks Elite but Offense Looks Bad, Can We Contend...

MyManHali
09-28-2013, 06:11 PM
this way? I hope so.

Forgot to post a poll, shi*.

matthewschiefs
09-28-2013, 06:33 PM
We are 3-0 YES we can contend and currently are.

#58ChiefsFan
09-28-2013, 07:38 PM
In September probably, going forward at this rate doubtful. Our third down efficiency is absolute garbage right now. Statistically our offense is pretty offensive but if you consider this is week four and we have a 3-0 record I wouldn't tell this team they can't. If we can get all of our TE back on the field, remain healthy and catch a few breaks who knows how far we can go.

All three phases must be on point for this team to win, the coaching staff has done an incredible job making that happen so far. I still believe the offense can be easily twice as good as they are if we get Fasano and Kelce back and Avery or anyone steps up to help Bowe out. Philosophically establish the run before the fourth quarter without Smith being the leading rusher.

MyManHali
09-28-2013, 07:42 PM
In September probably, going forward at this rate doubtful. Our third down efficiency is absolute garbage right now. Statistically our offense is pretty offensive but if you consider this is week four and we have a 3-0 record I wouldn't tell this team they can't. If we can get all of our TE back on the field, remain healthy and catch a few breaks who knows how far we can go.

All three phases must be on point for this team to win, the coaching staff has done an incredible job making that happen so far. I still believe the offense can be easily twice as good as they are if we get Fasano and Kelce back and Avery or anyone steps up to help Bowe out. Philosophically establish the run before the fourth quarter without Smith being the leading rusher.

For the time being our offense is one of the worst in the NFL:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/9/25/4767278/how-good-is-the-chiefs-offense
(http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/9/25/4767278/how-good-is-the-chiefs-offense)
I am not complaining about the way Alex has handled the offense. He's extremely conservative and doesn't make mistakes. If our d struggles during a game then that will be the time to worry, but we have not come to those crossroads yet.

#58ChiefsFan
09-28-2013, 07:53 PM
15/47 on third down simply is not going to get it done long term, Alex is somewhere around 62?% on completion rate and that has to improve as well. The fact Alex protects the living shut out of the ball has been the difference between 1-2 and 3-0. It's just tough to remember the offense is still finding its way while the defense plays at a playoff level. We are greatly exceeding expectations and after last year everybody just hopes the wheels stay on.

jason1981
09-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Mymanhali I wiondered where ylu went. Havent noticed you whining about smith. Not complaining. Just joking with you. But smith has done a great job. I think most of our offense woos have been the lack there of the oline. The times smith jave tried to go deep he had defenders on him immediately amd also no seperation with the wr. I love how he doeant take chances and throw a ball up for grabs deep down the field. He doeant need to unless were behind amd needa big play but also I think whats hurting Iis is the playing calling or lack of power run plays and getting charles involved more but then again when he has called thoae run plays there no holes for charles to run so then again it leads to our shaky oline.

Repeat our season rides on the play of our oline.

jason1981
09-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Dang just read the report that is scary about our offense but I think the kew factor is the oline. Smith has barely anytime to go deep if he wanted to plus the wr dont get seperation anyways. We need a wr thats scares teams going deep. I think thats more on the wr then the qb.

texaschief
09-28-2013, 10:40 PM
I don't think we're going to see an offense designed to win games until it's needed. The Chiefs are amazing on offense until they get the lead or need to kill the clock. After they get the lead, they get super conservative in play-calling and also from Smith as he decides which throw to make. This team doesn't need an offense that wins fantasy football games. When the Chiefs need their offense, they get it. We see that on the first drive. We saw that when they came back on Dallas. We saw that when they needed to kill games the last 2 weeks. Until they show that they can't get the job done when it counts, I'm not going to concern myself with nitpicking this WINNING team to death.

We've seen Smith take a dominating defensive team to the NFC Championship that was mere minutes from the Super Bowl. We've seen Andy Reid go to 5 NFC Championships and a Super Bowl. We know Jamaal Charles is an elite RB. Bowe is a Pro Bowl WR. We've got 2 first round OTs and a good, young, solid OL.

3-0... 3-0

matthewschiefs
09-29-2013, 12:24 AM
For the time being our offense is one of the worst in the NFL:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/9/25/4767278/how-good-is-the-chiefs-offense
(http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/9/25/4767278/how-good-is-the-chiefs-offense)
I am not complaining about the way Alex has handled the offense. He's extremely conservative and doesn't make mistakes. If our d struggles during a game then that will be the time to worry, but we have not come to those crossroads yet.

If by extremely conservative you mean smart with the ball then yes yes he is.

Smith can and will go downfield you showed video of guys going deep in Reids system a while back so here's one of Smith going deep some. You will note a number of deep throws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDd19Bf2fM

Alex Smith puts the ball in smart places. He doesn't even want to give the defender a chance to pick it off. SMART. We saw last years QBS trying to force balls when they get in a panic. Smith won't do that. And all the talk about the lack of deep passes in the video you will note one thing on the deep throws THE WRS WERE OPEN. That's something our WRS have not been doing alot of. A QB can't just say Hey I'm going deep this throw the WRS have to do there job to. That's the scary thing for me right now Our Number 1 WR got outplayed by the 3rd string TE. The WRs outside of Avery in the last game haven't been putting Smith and the offense in a position to be great. Neither has the O line. They just had 10 days to work on things. Lets see how well they spent that time,.

Lord-Chiefy
09-29-2013, 12:34 AM
MmH is only posting because he's thinking we are Gonna get beat this week. He's been MIA since we started winning. I guess he's been on his Jets board since they won a game...lmao

Lord-Chiefy
09-29-2013, 12:36 AM
It's just very funny that is first post in weeks has been on they may be negative thread about our offense I just find it amusing

texaschief
09-29-2013, 01:09 AM
It's just very funny that is first post in weeks has been on they may be negative thread about our offense I just find it amusing

It's almost like he's a TROLL...

Chiefster
09-29-2013, 01:45 AM
Mymanhali I wiondered where ylu went. Havent noticed you whining about smith. Not complaining. Just joking with you. But smith has done a great job. I think most of our offense woos have been the lack there of the oline. The times smith jave tried to go deep he had defenders on him immediately amd also no seperation with the wr. I love how he doeant take chances and throw a ball up for grabs deep down the field. He doeant need to unless were behind amd needa big play but also I think whats hurting Iis is the playing calling or lack of power run plays and getting charles involved more but then again when he has called thoae run plays there no holes for charles to run so then again it leads to our shaky oline.

Repeat our season rides on the play of our oline.

I implore you, please, read your posts before posting, use "Word", don't post from your not-so-smart phone, take an English course...something!

MyManHali
09-29-2013, 02:00 AM
MmH is only posting because he's thinking we are Gonna get beat this week. He's been MIA since we started winning. I guess he's been on his Jets board since they won a game...lmao

Now you've done it! Prepare to get Geno Gif'd up.

http://i.imgur.com/gtCsBW2.gif

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3268933/gs.gif

http://i.imgur.com/bEn1WLj.gif

Remember, I have more.

MyManHali
09-29-2013, 02:02 AM

Because, as the link indicates, it hasn't been good.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2013, 02:15 AM

Remember, I have more.

Sorry you have no right to use the Bills as a defense to go against since all you have done with the QBS on this team when they have done well is talk about creampuffs liek the bills d and you leave out the 2 picks he threw

jap1
09-29-2013, 08:16 AM
I agree, with the way our OL has been playing, we cannot sustain this success. I'd like to see some better run AND pass blocking. Smith has performed well, and I am hoping our offense is only running on 2 cylinders for now and will gel more as the season goes on.

texaschief
09-29-2013, 12:58 PM
fail

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2013, 01:03 PM
If by extremely conservative you mean smart with the ball then yes yes he is.

Smith can and will go downfield you showed video of guys going deep in Reids system a while back so here's one of Smith going deep some. You will note a number of deep throws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDd19Bf2fM

Alex Smith puts the ball in smart places. He doesn't even want to give the defender a chance to pick it off. SMART. We saw last years QBS trying to force balls when they get in a panic. Smith won't do that. And all the talk about the lack of deep passes in the video you will note one thing on the deep throws THE WRS WERE OPEN. That's something our WRS have not been doing alot of. A QB can't just say Hey I'm going deep this throw the WRS have to do there job to. That's the scary thing for me right now Our Number 1 WR got outplayed by the 3rd string TE. The WRs outside of Avery in the last game haven't been putting Smith and the offense in a position to be great. Neither has the O line. They just had 10 days to work on things. Lets see how well they spent that time,.

Thanks for establishing once and for all that the notion that Alex Smith can't throw the long ball is pure and utter garbage!!!!

He simply doesn't throw the long ball unless he feels confident that he will complete it. He's a QB who takes what is available rather than trying to force things.

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2013, 01:09 PM

Remember, I have more.

Forgive me for restating the obvious. But you don't seem to get it.

1) We could have drafted the other Smith. We didn't. Get over it.

2) The other Smith is not a Chief. Alex Smith IS a Chief.

3) Be a Chiefs fan and support our team and our QB. If you feel you can only support the team that has Geno Smith, then go hang on a Jet's board.

I've made it real simple. Only 55 words. Even a lawyer to be should be able to comprehend 55 words.

jason1981
09-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Mymanhali where the hell you all now? Smith playing great and going deep amd yet again your no where to be seen again. You can just go away as far as anyone cares. Your ao full of geno smith that you cant root ane cheer the chiefs on.

tornadospotter
09-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Omg the chiefs are what??????
With a qb who is a first round pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord-Chiefy
09-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Omg the chiefs are what??????
With a qb who is a first round pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What?? UNDEFEATED 4-0 !! THATS WHAT!!! BOOYA

brdempsey69
09-29-2013, 04:30 PM
MMH was not alone in his disdain for Alex Smith. There was that one slimy bag of worms over at kansascity.com who called himself "kcfollower" and said that Alex was only a backup & guaranteed the Chiefs would be picking top 5 in 2014.

Alex Smith is a legit starting QB in the NFL....PERIOD!!

jason1981
09-29-2013, 04:39 PM
4-0 baby. Defense and alex smith takes all the credit. Where are you mmh. Hope your eating some crow and sticking a sock in it.

Sick Dog
09-29-2013, 05:17 PM
I implore you, please, read your posts before posting, use "Word", don't post from your not-so-smart phone, take an English course...something!

Oh god relax its a forum not an English essay...and it is OR something...I see you edited your post so you must not have read your post before posting...:lol:

Lord-Chiefy
09-29-2013, 05:24 PM
So far today Geno Smith three interceptions one fumbal yeah we should have drafted him

brdempsey69
09-29-2013, 05:36 PM
So far today Geno Smith three interceptions one fumbal yeah we should have drafted him

Bottom line is that Geno was not seasoned or experienced like Alex & therefore was not the guy to be the Chiefs QB heading into 2013. Plus, they needed to draft a Tackle prospect like Fisher, contrary to popular belief.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2013, 05:46 PM

More picks today then Alex has thrown all year. He's been nothing that Cassel wasn't last year sure he's thrown for yards but he has also turned the ball over A LOT. That would have been the real latral move

Subversion
09-29-2013, 06:06 PM
We're 4-0 and people on here are already defensive when someone mentions the possibility that there is still room for improvement?

Come on Chiefs fans, we were 2-14 last season, I'm enjoying/celebrating each win just as much as the rest of you but there is still work to be done. I'm sure the Bronco's forums are still critiquing their team each week and they appear to be the NFL regular season juggernaut so far. Let's keep an open mind even though I'm sure we are all optimistic.

I think MMH brings up a valid concern for us all to think about. Our pass rush looks like it will probably be the best in the NFL which covers up some blips in our secondary. Our defense is producing at a top 5 level so I have no concerns there. If I had to nitpick...I would like to see the secondary improve, but I do believe it will as the newer players (Robinson/Smith) and the veterans implement the (newer) system.

The offense I have concerns for. I will say that I can't judge it because we haven't been in a shootout yet. Smith has been making the correct reads and right decisions. He does have deep ball capabilities but I'm concerned on how he utilizes his #1 WR. I don't have a lot of time as I write this so if I'm wrong I apologize, but I don't believe he has ever produced a 1000 yard WR. He LOVES to throw to his TE. That concerns me because while we are solid (when healthy) with Kelce and Fasano...they aren't on the same level as a Vernon Davis, who has the speed of a WR.

Again, because we haven't been truly tested it could be irrelevant, but my job as a CARING fan (why else would I sign up for these message boards) is that of the playcalling. Charles is being productive but for some reason he appears to be more productive used as a power running back (between the tackles).

SO Matthewschiefs in particular...you have called out Bowe several times. IMO, it doesn't look like he's taking plays off or not trying. Yes, our TE #3 is outproducing him. I'm kind of surprised you are touting that statistic in so many threads. Our #1 and #2 TE are hurt. Smith historically likes to use his TE in all aspects of the passing game. It seems that it's more the playcalling/targets thats taken him out of the games. Some of Bowe's biggest attributes are his size and jumping ability. Smith doesn't like to just "throw it up" because there is coverage. That limits a BIG aspect of Bowe's game. We see Avery excelling because the screen routes are PERFECT for a guy with his speed and YAC. Bowe's game isn't the same. Once we are in a shootout and Bowe starts making mistakes on 15-20 yard pass attempts, then I'll get my pitch fork out for Bowe as well. You might want to go back and look at some of the WR #1 Statistics that were produced under Alex Smith because your expectations get too high.

#58ChiefsFan
09-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Somehow I have a feeling that this thread is going to end up in another Geno slugfest...

brdempsey69
09-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Nobody is saying that the Chiefs don't have room for improvement, especially on Offense. But they are going in the right direction. All they have to do is remember where they came from in 2012 and keep working to get better all the way around as the season progresses.

#58ChiefsFan
09-29-2013, 06:45 PM
We have still won depending on your view one or two games we "shouldn't" have while the offense without all the starters in place learns to play together. Brighter days are coming, we have the coaching staff to improve finally.

brdempsey69
09-29-2013, 06:55 PM
We have still won depending on your view one or two games we "shouldn't" have while the offense without all the starters in place learns to play together. Brighter days are coming, we have the coaching staff to improve finally.

Agreed. Don't know what last years theme for the Chiefs was in 2012, but I know what it should be in 2013 -- PAYBACK TIME !!

matthewschiefs
09-29-2013, 07:24 PM
SO Matthewschiefs in particular...you have called out Bowe several times. IMO, it doesn't look like he's taking plays off or not trying. Yes, our TE #3 is outproducing him. I'm kind of surprised you are touting that statistic in so many threads. Our #1 and #2 TE are hurt. Smith historically likes to use his TE in all aspects of the passing game. It seems that it's more the playcalling/targets thats taken him out of the games. Some of Bowe's biggest attributes are his size and jumping ability. Smith doesn't like to just "throw it up" because there is coverage. That limits a BIG aspect of Bowe's game. We see Avery excelling because the screen routes are PERFECT for a guy with his speed and YAC. Bowe's game isn't the same. Once we are in a shootout and Bowe starts making mistakes on 15-20 yard pass attempts, then I'll get my pitch fork out for Bowe as well. You might want to go back and look at some of the WR #1 Statistics that were produced under Alex Smith because your expectations get too high.

Let me start by saying I;m not forking Bowe out. I don't think he sucks. I think he has the talent to be one of the best WRs in the game.

And that is why I'm so hard on him. I know Alex Likes his Tes and I did expect his numbers to drop some. But then Today I am watching and while the defender is still running after the ball Bowe QUIT he just stopped. I was not the only one to notice. That's not acceptable. There's no excuse for it. He does this coming off a outstanding (sarcasm) 1 catch for 4 yards against a pretty bad Philly defense. And this is something that has been in the past as well. The tampa game last year while the Bucs WRS were running all over our D you didn't know Bowe was in the game. It frustrates me alot knowing what he has done in the past. We have all seen games in which Bowe just TOOK OVER. He imposed his will even against double coverage. Bowe is the most Frustrating player I have ever seen all the talent in the world but then quits on a route and goes games with 1 catch for 4 yards. And that's why I'm so hard on him. I'm hard on him because I have seen how good he can be.

jason1981
09-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Yeah no one is getting a big head. Were just tired of mymanhali and all he can post is negetive post and dissapears whem its all good. We are rubbing it in his face cuz he love geno smith and cant get over that we didnt draft him.

jason1981
09-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Bowe did quit on that play amd caused smith an int. Bowe has to fight to the inside. Thats the design of the play. Alex throws it right on targer and bowes job ia to win the inside postion and you can see how he quit and went outside. If he cant beat to the inside he knows the balls coming anyways and needs to atleast be close enough to knock the pass down.

Bike
09-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Bowe did quit on that play amd caused smith an int. Bowe has to fight to the inside. Thats the design of the play. Alex throws it right on targer and bowes job ia to win the inside postion and you can see how he quit and went outside. If he cant beat to the inside he knows the balls coming anyways and needs to atleast be close enough to knock the pass down.

Bowe needs to start making catches that matter. And he definitely needs to get some separation early in games. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad he got his TD catch. But at that point, the game was already won.

texaschief
09-29-2013, 09:16 PM
I wonder if the Chiefs could make a swing at acquiring one of the Browns' WRs that they have on the block. This could allow the Chiefs to move Bowe to that pass catching TE position in this offense until we get some of those guys back. I think Bowe would be a lot more effective inside rather than as an outside receiver. His big body would cause plenty of matchup problems much like TG and Gates do at the TE positions. Using Bowe in the slot more could help get him off, especially if they could find another outside threat.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2013, 09:37 PM

Remember, I have more.

I am sorry but I had to do it
t http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/191p30nhtj9dkgif/original.gif

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Bowe needs to start making catches that matter. And he definitely needs to get some separation early in games. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad he got his TD catch. But at that point, the game was already won.

WELL SAID!!!! DB is beginning to annoy me! He needs to take about 5 steps up before I can have any respect for him.

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2013, 11:00 PM
I wonder if the Chiefs could make a swing at acquiring one of the Browns' WRs that they have on the block.

That right there might be some really good thinking. But I trust Reid and Dorsey. The more I see of what they are doing the more I trust them.

Chiefster
09-30-2013, 01:18 AM
Oh god relax its a forum not an English essay...and it is OR something...I see you edited your post so you must not have read your post before posting...:lol:

You're right, I edited my reply to make the "W" in "Word" capitalized. Your, "OR" is a fail, and it's every single post with this guy. However, I'll give you that it's not and English essay, but as a mod I don't always have the luxury of ignoring replies but I think I'm going to ignore his. :lol: :11:

Chiefster
09-30-2013, 01:21 AM
I am sorry but I had to do it
t http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/191p30nhtj9dkgif/original.gif

:lol: