PDA

View Full Version : Game 5 thoughts

matthewschiefs
10-06-2013, 04:34 PM
The Good
The defense in the first half and 4th They were lights out enough said and came up with the picks late to wrap it up

Alex Smith in the 4th Came up clutch when they fell behind Alex took them right down the field and got in the endzone. That's not something we have seen before. Most the time in the past few years that was when the team caved. They didn't today

Ryan Succop came up clutch in a long field goal. Big plus

The bad

Alex Smith he seemed a bit off today. Thew a Cassel like pick. Every Qb has a downer game through the season lets hope that was his.

The defense in the 3rd they looked like last years d and a hot knife through butter. They can't let a team come out of the break and do that most of the time that will cost you. But they didn't let it cost us.

The penalties Can't have them. They Play the Faiders next week and they like to draw you into that type of game. We can't get in that game.Penalties like that will KILL you. They were lucky to escape

Overall this was a 2010 like win. They got some bounces and got the W and that's what matters.

GO Cowboys today and GO CHIEFS

Frankenchief
10-06-2013, 04:40 PM
- I'm concerned a bit about Bowe's play. He seems to run lethargic routs.

- Cooper might be for real.

Frankenchief
10-06-2013, 04:44 PM
- McGrath is holding his own, but when will Fasano and Kelce come back? It's a bit frustrating.

- Jamaal got his 100, but he seems to get stopped for no gain more frequently these days.

brdempsey69
10-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Chiefs were very fortunate to win this game. If they don't get called for that personal foul penalty on Alex's 3rd down scramble that was stopped short of a 1st down, then what?

Although, Len Dawson said it was the correct call as Smith had one foot out of bounds & the defender launched himself at Smith. Correct me, if I'm wrong on this.

azchiefsfan
10-06-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm still concerned about our inability to stop the passing game sometimes. But, we are playing good teams and finding ways to win. I think we'll get better in that regard, however, as the guys get more familiar with the new defensive coordinator.

matthewschiefs
10-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Chiefs were very fortunate to win this game. If they don't get called for that personal foul penalty on Alex's 3rd down scramble that was stopped short of a 1st down, then what?

Although, Len Dawson said it was the correct call as Smith had one foot out of bounds & the defender launched himself at Smith. Correct me, if I'm wrong on this.

That call could be considered a make up for the HORRIBLE PI on Berry if they don't get that call then we never trail so I guess it evened out

And I had no problem with the call you can't launch yourself at a guy when he's that close to the sideline it's just not smart

Eydugstr
10-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Don't think you're wrong...but what irritated me was that the officials didn't call things the same way throughout the game (when Dexter McCluster got into the same situation, flag was thrown, then told the crowd there was no penalty on the play.)

texaschief
10-06-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm not usually one to complain about the refs... but damn. They gave the Titans life over and over again. The final score shouldn't have been that close. The secondary refs were horrible. Chiefs got bailed out at the end, but the calls definitely favored the Titans all day.

The offense was sluggish in the rain. Tennessee had a couple fluke plays that kept them in the game, but overall, the Chiefs dominated each quarter but the ref-assisted 3rd.

The Chiefs for the 4th week in a row had what was essentially a game killing drive in the 4th. Alex is there when it counts.

Frankenchief
10-06-2013, 05:24 PM
_ Dallas is up 10 on Denver Mannings. Could it be...? Could it be...?

Frankenchief
10-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Well, so much for Dallas' lead. :(

brdempsey69
10-06-2013, 05:37 PM
_ Dallas is up 10 on Denver Mannings. Could it be...? Could it be...?

Probably not. Dallas is starting to screw up on Offense & their Defense is allowing Manning to play pitch and catch with his receivers.

jason1981
10-06-2013, 05:53 PM
This was the best game all year and why I say that is cuz we showed poise and didnt quite whem they came back amd took the lead. This says more about our team then the last few weeks. Plus we went downfield alot. Also charles ran 108 yards. Our only problem is finisbing drives. I think our def kinda soften up a little bit when their qb gashed us a couple times We seemed to be more conservative on def.

brdempsey69
10-06-2013, 05:55 PM
That call could be considered a make up for the HORRIBLE PI on Berry if they don't get that call then we never trail so I guess it evened out

And I had no problem with the call you can't launch yourself at a guy when he's that close to the sideline it's just not smart

I just saw a replay of the personal foul call & it was the right call. Alex was clearly out of bounds with no need for the defender to launch himself at Alex. Len Dawson called it correctly.

Frankenchief
10-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Those "most interesting man in the world" ads are based on Len Dawson.

iratefan
10-06-2013, 06:39 PM
special teams helps the chiefs gain crucial game points early in the game yet again. It gave us the momentum all first half.

Defense played amazing first half. what changed the second half? Fitz is one of the fastest QB's in the league on his feet! he smoked our pass rush and we really didnt have any guys left to tackle until he hit the secondary. The other big mistake was allowing johnson too much room when he was on blocking assignment. The titans o-line was catching heat from the fan base all game long but they showed up big in the second half giving great pocket protection. chiefs D didnt necessarily do anything bad or wrong, it was solid defense, it was just the QB scramble that was really unaccounted for which gashed us.

Defensive picks were HUGE. again without cooper coming out with that amazing strip/int (looked like dual possession till he judo'ed the ball out of receivers hands) - it was a 3 point game at that point and titans had found some momentum.

Offensively... man, i was really disappointed this game. I still feel like without jamaal charles, this offense would be completely impotent. Smith just doesnt have enough weapons. however he does have SOME. Donnie Avery proving again that while he may not be a top WR, the man is FAST and makes a serious effort to make a catch. Dwayne Bowe once again proving he can catch just about ANYTHING that isnt a direct pass on the numbers (when he feels like running the full route to begin with).

Alex made some really awful throws today and was not on his game, and I had a bit of worry before game how the rain would affect his game. It appeared it definitely had a big impact. he was sailin some passes matt cassel style. I also am anxious to get some of our TE"s healthy. they can be very effective in this offense and mcgrath is stepping up big consistently on 3rd and longs.

Generally speaking, the execution was just very poor and i feel that it was very fortunate for the chiefs that they were able to win this game. If this were a broncos or saints game we would likely have been humiliated with this type of performance, but we'll get a chance to see that in due time.

Frankenchief
10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Generally speaking, the execution was just very poor and i feel that it was very fortunate for the chiefs that they were able to win this game. If this were a broncos or saints game we would likely have been humiliated with this type of performance, but we'll get a chance to see that in due time.
Our O is a work in progress albeit not progressing as fast as I would like. Hopefully when the lights come on in the O-line's heads and we get the 2 TEs back we can be more productive by the time we play Denver Mannings. I think Andy's play book has some two TE sets that we can't utilize now.

brdempsey69
10-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Woot, Woot. Dallas is fighting back & lead the Donkeys 41-38.

Frankenchief
10-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Wow! Dallas leading Denver again!!!!

jason1981
10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Yes I think reid was working alot with two te sets during offseason and preseason then the I.j bug hit our te's.

brdempsey69
10-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Like wow, man!! I can't wait to watch the replay of the Chiefs game and the Donks game in Dallas via NFL Game Rewind. Kudos to Dallas for hanging in there.

Sick Dog
10-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Okay I know I always say this...not that anyone is paying attention but the other team gets paid to play...Yes not Smith's best game but performed when he needed to and that is a very good "D" with very good secondary so to be expected some of it anyway...was his interception not off Charles hands? I do want to see when Fasano, Kelce and McGrath are in the line-up.

Anyway to not play your best and still win on the road against a solid team I say outstanding!

Justin5772002
10-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Nail biter in Dallas 48-48 Denver in red zone. Romo threw a pick and is probably going to lose now

Justin5772002
10-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Denver wins 51-48 where the hell are these defenses at?

brdempsey69
10-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Nail biter in Dallas 48-48 Denver in red zone. Romo threw a pick and is probably going to lose now

Romo choke once again, as he's so renowned for in the clutch & Donkeys win a game that they had no business winning. No way would I have handed Romo a 100 million dollar contract. Romo has got to tuck it down & try scrambling for some yards on at least one of those two plays where he first got sacked and then got picked.

Would anybody really prefer to have Romo over Alex Smith playing QB for the Chiefs based on what we have seen thus far, this season? I know I wouldn't, no way.

I'm not convinced Denver is the best team like so many are crowning them to be. Dallas's Defense did not have all their starters healthy like they did against KC & overall they just blew the ball game.

nigeriannightmare
10-06-2013, 07:54 PM
My thoughts about this game are simple. The defense is legit. And what a find we have in Marcus Cooper. I don't know about you all but my oh my I think he's gonna be special. Man who says coaching doesn't matter. Andy Reid is completely legit too. 5 and mother effin 0. Woohoo!!!!!

matthewschiefs
10-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Denver wins 51-48 where the hell are these defenses at?

Teams are not allowed to play d against peyton I mean this game had

Denver o line ripping Dallas defenders helments off
Uncall Pi on Denver in the endzone
an Uncalled Intentional grounding on Manning
an uncalled Horse collar

All pointed out by Jim Nantz

This was one the NFL handed the donkeys plain and simple Like a Miami Heat game in the NBA when you play Denver you play the refs to

Chiefster
10-06-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm not usually one to complain about the refs... but damn. They gave the Titans life over and over again. The final score shouldn't have been that close. The secondary refs were horrible. Chiefs got bailed out at the end, but the calls definitely favored the Titans all day.

The offense was sluggish in the rain. Tennessee had a couple fluke plays that kept them in the game, but overall, the Chiefs dominated each quarter but the ref-assisted 3rd.

The Chiefs for the 4th week in a row had what was essentially a game killing drive in the 4th. Alex is there when it counts.

...So was the offense, I think that pick Smith threw was facilitated by moister on the ball. I'm not trying to make excuses, just trying to point to a possible cause.

texaschief
10-06-2013, 08:39 PM
...So was the offense, I think that pick Smith threw was facilitated by moister on the ball. I'm not trying to make excuses, just trying to point to a possible cause.

Critical reading was never a strength of mine either. lol

brdempsey69
10-06-2013, 09:05 PM

an uncalled Horse collar

This was one the NFL handed the donkeys plain and simple Like a Miami Heat game in the NBA when you play Denver you play the refs to

I'm afraid what we could be seeing this year is a replication of '97 and '98 all over again. Only this time it is for Peyton Manning's sake, as well as Turd Elway's sake ( since he is the GM ).

I haven't watched that game, yet, but I can't help but wonder if the Donkey's have swung something with the league office like they did in '97 and '98 to get the officials to turn a blind eye towards a majority of calls that should be going against them.

BTW Matt, did you notice that the Donkeys did not get scheduled to play one single team at their park in these first 6 games, that had made the post-season the year before, same as '97 and '98 ?? I can tell you why, it's because historically when the Donks have started 6-0, they've made it to the SB with one exception -- 2009. So there is hope that the tide can turn against them, just like it did in 2009 as they got road games in IND, NE, KC, and HOU.

It does seem like the deck is being stacked in their favor, thus far. Time will tell about that, of course, but at least we learned today that the Donks defense is not as good as KC's -- not by a longshot -- and Champ Bailey and Von Miller aren't going to bolster it all that much when they come back.

matthewschiefs
10-06-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm afraid what we could be seeing this year is a replication of '97 and '98 all over again. Only this time it is for Peyton Manning's sake, as well as Turd Elway's sake ( since he is the GM ).

I haven't watched that game, yet, but I can't help but wonder if the Donkey's have swung something with the league office like they did in '97 and '98 to get the officials to turn a blind eye towards a majority of calls that should be going against them.

BTW Matt, did you notice that the Donkeys did not get scheduled to play one single team at their park in these first 6 games, that had made the post-season the year before, same as '97 and '98 ?? I can tell you why, it's because historically when the Donks have started 6-0, they've made it to the SB with one exception -- 2009. So there is hope that the tide can turn against them, just like it did in 2009 as they got road games in IND, NE, KC, and HOU.

It does seem like the deck is being stacked in their favor, thus far. Time will tell about that, of course, but at least we learned today that the Donks defense is not as good as KC's -- not by a longshot -- and Champ Bailey and Von Miller aren't going to bolster it all that much when they come back.

The NFL is going to do whatever they can to get Denver the ring WHATEVER they can

As for Denver's schedule it's also pretty telling they gave them the Ravens early in the year the real reason they opened the season in Denver is that they wanted to get the Ravens out of there way before there new defense had any time to gel. It was pretty telling that while they couldn't use the ravens field for the game there was a TON of people there to watch the game and have a celebration for there superbowl. They could watch the game on the scoreboard tvs and stuff but couldn't play the game there? It's pretty clear what was going on. The NFL is trying to make Manning the best ever they always have made him look better then what he is. Todays game Dallas should have won if not for the BS calls all in Denvers favor they would have. It's sad that the NFL is willing to throw the rulebook out the window and Give Manning games then making him EARN them

brdempsey69
10-06-2013, 09:29 PM
The NFL is going to do whatever they can to get Denver the ring WHATEVER they can

As for Denver's schedule it's also pretty telling they gave them the Ravens early in the year the real reason they opened the season in Denver is that they wanted to get the Ravens out of there way before there new defense had any time to gel. It was pretty telling that while they couldn't use the ravens field for the game there was a TON of people there to watch the game and have a celebration for there superbowl. They could watch the game on the scoreboard tvs and stuff but couldn't play the game there? It's pretty clear what was going on. The NFL is trying to make Manning the best ever they always have made him look better then what he is. Todays game Dallas should have won if not for the BS calls all in Denvers favor they would have. It's sad that the NFL is willing to throw the rulebook out the window and Give Manning games then making him EARN them

I believe that, as well, and I also believe that Turd Elway & his twin d!ckhead, Pat Bowlen, have got their hands in this somehow. I'm smelling the same RAT that I could smell ( and see ) back in '97 and '98. If I'm right, then we won't have an outright champion this year, just like in '97 and '98 and the rest of the league will have to suffer from not being allowed to play on a level playing field against the Donks. The good news is that Dorsey/Reid will be building a team that may very well win the SB outright in the not too distant future.

Frankenchief
10-06-2013, 11:02 PM

an uncalled Horse collar

MY SENTIMENT EXACTLY. I almost started a thread about all these. It just smells like the NFL totally wants to have an undefeated Super Bowl winner in Peyton Manning no matter what.

texaschief
10-06-2013, 11:10 PM
If the Chiefs can control the clock the way they have the majority of the season and keep that Denver offense on the sidelines, I really like their chances. I could see a similar game against Denver that we saw against the Cowboys and Eagles.

Can I also say that the Houston Texans game is looking more and more like a win with each passing week? Holy crap! We all know how capable the Chiefs defense is of creating turnovers but this Texans team seems to be giving them away on a simple request from the defense. Houston has 2 weeks to figure it out before they go into Arrowhead and face a Chiefs team who could very easily still be undefeated. Then the Chiefs would have Cleveland and Buffalo before the bye. It's getting increasingly difficult to look at the Chiefs schedule before the bye week and say with any conviction that "THIS game is a game they SHOULD lose." I think it's safe to say that the Chiefs SHOULD give Houston everything they can handle and could even be considered the favorite.

Frankenchief
10-06-2013, 11:16 PM
If we don't get injuries we should only get better every week. We are not deep enough to sustain key injuries though.

brdempsey69
10-06-2013, 11:41 PM
I haven't watched the Chiefs-Titans game in it's entirety as of yet, but from what I saw in a couple of highlights that is really encouraging, is that the Chiefs had Smith throw deep to Avery out the power-running type sets TWICE and it worked. Especially on that one play when they were backed up to their 1-yard line. Avery just blew by that CB like he was standing still. Got to keep taking shots down the field like that to Avery, as there aren't many CB's in the league that can run full speed with him.

jason1981
10-06-2013, 11:57 PM
MY SENTIMENT EXACTLY. I almost started a thread about all these. It just smells like the NFL totally wants to have an undefeated Super Bowl winner in Peyton Manning no matter what.

do you really think the league is behind all of this? I dont think the each team would would agree to give away a superbowl. As much as I hate manning I eo.t think theor is a conspiracy. Manninng is good at getting pleanlties called his ways. Im sure he talks to the refs to tell them what to look for or somethi.g.

matthewschiefs
10-07-2013, 12:04 AM
do you really think the league is behind all of this? I dont think the each team would would agree to give away a superbowl. As much as I hate manning I eo.t think theor is a conspiracy. Manninng is good at getting pleanlties called his ways. Im sure he talks to the refs to tell them what to look for or somethi.g.

I don't think the other owners are in on it why would they but I do think that Rodger Goodell wants to get Peyton Manning as far as he can and is willing to give him help on the way. Manning draws intrest for the NFL. He wants him to play deep into the playoffs you can still beat them but the NFL is going to make is very hard like today and most teams won't be able to overcome it. In the NBA it's that way with the Heat You know they are going to have a plus 10 free throw advantage so you have to beat them by 11 to win. You can do it it's just harder to do because they get a little help

brdempsey69
10-07-2013, 12:15 AM

It already happened in '97 and '98 with the Donks. The things Matt listed should NOT be influenced by Manning in any way -- they should be correctly called, but weren't.

And remember, Marty gave away that '97 playoff game against the Donkeys by not letting Rich Gannon play in that game & Marty knew full well that he was crippling his Offense by doing that.

texaschief
10-07-2013, 12:51 AM
No joke... I'd rather have Pryor than Geno Smith for QB. They both suck, but I'd take Pryor.

Seek
10-07-2013, 10:16 AM
- McGrath is holding his own, but when will Fasano and Kelce come back? It's a bit frustrating.

- Jamaal got his 100, but he seems to get stopped for no gain more frequently these days.

Just out of curiosity. What have you seen from Kelce that his absence is frustrating you. All I saw from him in Pre-season was a project that had a lot of work to do. Based on McGraths production, once Kelce returns he most likley will replace Brock as the 3rd string TE and may never see the field once Fasano returns.

Seek
10-07-2013, 10:30 AM
I haven't watched the Chiefs-Titans game in it's entirety as of yet, but from what I saw in a couple of highlights that is really encouraging, is that the Chiefs had Smith throw deep to Avery out the power-running type sets TWICE and it worked. Especially on that one play when they were backed up to their 1-yard line. Avery just blew by that CB like he was standing still. Got to keep taking shots down the field like that to Avery, as there aren't many CB's in the league that can run full speed with him.

Uh yes, that play was a back breaker. Th Chiefs defense just held the Titans out of the end zone with a 1st and Goal situation starting on the 1. I really think the Chiefs pushed them back. That stand was outstanding and really shows how good this defense is. Last year, that was a TD. This defense is playing so tough and aggressive it is shocking at how good they have become just one year removed and it is no fluke either.

Frankenchief
10-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Not much from Kelce,....YET. But he is a rookie and needs to start getting going with his development. Predraft, though, I thought of him as a potentially good starting TE. I think most of his faults right now are due to rookie butterflies and injury.

Seek
10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Not much from Kelce,....YET. But he is a rookie and needs to start getting going with his development. Predraft, though, I thought of him as a potentially good starting TE. I think most of his faults right now are due to rookie butterflies and injury.

I would agree, He is a very nice kid. He game right over to my kids to give us his autograph and one fan came over that I was uncomfortable with and he was very polite with him when I even I was trying to get away from him.

brdempsey69
10-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Uh yes, that play was a back breaker. Th Chiefs defense just held the Titans out of the end zone with a 1st and Goal situation starting on the 1. I really think the Chiefs pushed them back. That stand was outstanding and really shows how good this defense is. Last year, that was a TD. This defense is playing so tough and aggressive it is shocking at how good they have become just one year removed and it is no fluke either.

One thing that I noticed was the Titans did not score with conventional plays. It took unconventional plays for them to get on the board. Personally, I didn't like the Poe selection back in 2012 -- for all of about a couple minutes -- and then the thought occurred to me that the Chiefs were not going to get many opportunities to draft a NT candidate with Poe's physical ability. Kudos to the Chiefs D-Line coach Tommy Brasher for the job he's done getting the Chiefs D-Line to play much better this year.

kcvet
10-07-2013, 11:32 AM
http://oi44.tinypic.com/2vubk0w.jpg

Frankenchief
10-07-2013, 11:42 AM
One thing that I noticed was the Titans did not score with conventional plays. It took unconventional plays for them to get on the board.

True. I made the same point to my son while texting back and forth with him during the game.

brdempsey69
10-07-2013, 12:19 PM
3rd down efficiency was horrible, yesterday. 1 for 12 and that is totally unsatisfactory. It was one of the things that kept the game as close as it was. This must improve as the season progresses.

Seek
10-07-2013, 12:46 PM
One thing I don't like is game planning the opening drive. Supposedly the first 15 plays are scripted. Why is Chad Freaking Hall the center piece and Dexter McCluster the center piece three weeks ago? I am not even sure why Chad Hall is on the team yet alone a game plan. How about making J. Charles the game plan next week like he was against Dallas and lets see if we can score on the opening drive?

Frankenchief
10-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Maybe because the other team expects Charles to get the ball.

brdempsey69
10-07-2013, 01:16 PM
One thing I don't like is game planning the opening drive. Supposedly the first 15 plays are scripted. Why is Chad Freaking Hall the center piece and Dexter McCluster the center piece three weeks ago? I am not even sure why Chad Hall is on the team yet alone a game plan. How about making J. Charles the game plan next week like he was against Dallas and lets see if we can score on the opening drive?

Good point. I'm not sure either why Chad Hall is on the roster, let alone getting playing time ahead of Junior Hemingway. There is nothing about Hall that comes even remotely close to justifying him holding a roster spot, except he was with Reid in Philly. But still, I just don't see the talent or potential with this guy.

doobs_05
10-07-2013, 01:28 PM
The offense needs to score more early.

Seek
10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Maybe because the other team expects Charles to get the ball.

AND? They expected him to get in the fourth quarter and yet we go up the field and score. I mean it makes sarcastice sense, give the ball to a person who shouldn't be on the team to catch the the opposing team off guard and then watch them drop passes or fail to get open to the point there was almost a pick six because he is not that good and it take the balls away from your play makers.

Here is an idea, game plan for your play makers. Not just one person over and over, switch it up and if that does not work the progression should be the next best playerts etc... Chad Hall should not even be on the field.

Frankenchief
10-07-2013, 02:07 PM
I didn't disagree with you dude. Just threw out a possibility.

Chiefster
10-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Critical reading was never a strength of mine either. lol

LOL!!! I could have swore I read Defense. ...Never mind. :lol: