PDA

View Full Version : Game 8 thoughts

matthewschiefs
10-27-2013, 04:20 PM
The good

The first half offense. They put up points moved the ball a lot and kept the Browns offense off the field. That's the offense that will win this team games. They have to put it together for a whole game something that so far they have failed to do. But That offense was really good. Still some things to work out but that's the offense this team needs.

The defense 1st and 4th They started the game out forcing 3 and outs and they finished the job in the 4th. Running Qbs still a problem but they got the job done yet again.

The bad

The offense in the 2nd half. EVERYONE was pretty bad. The O line stunk it up that hurt everyone. Smith had no time to do much. And that offense just wasn't moving the ball like they did in the first half. They have to find some way to pull it together for a whole game not a half. They show what this offense can be then they start stinking up the joint like they did in the 2nd half today

The defense in the 2nd and 3rd. They just were not getting the job done. They were not getting to the QB like they have this year. Gordon was beating everyone even Flowers. If they play like that it's going to get us beat but they did get the job done when it matter much. They just had a bump in the road.

Overall this is one that the Chiefs are very lucky to win. The Browns could have won this game if they didn't make so many mistakes of there own and some unforced mistakes at that like Bess. Very lucky but good teams find a way to win these games and that's what the Chiefs did. 8-0 Bring on the Bills

brdempsey69
10-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Overall, very disappointing 2nd half, especially on Offense. They do this at Buffalo next week and they'll get handed their first loss.

Quite correct, Matt. This Offense has got to find a way to keep it going for 4 QTR's. Really need to look at getting playmakers added to the Offense this off-season.

Knile Davis should have been given more work in the 2nd half. They are going to wear Charles out at this pace, needlessly.

Lord-Chiefy
10-27-2013, 04:31 PM
I feel like we lost this game. Get through tough bills. And much needed bye week.

brdempsey69
10-27-2013, 04:37 PM
I feel like we lost this game. Get through tough bills. And much needed bye week.

My thoughts exactly. A top-tier team with a good rushing attack probably would have beaten the Chiefs, today. The Chiefs were just lucky today. No two ways about it.

Lord-Chiefy
10-27-2013, 04:40 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/gamecast?gameId=331027012&version=mobile

Game stats good rushing d

Lord-Chiefy
10-27-2013, 04:50 PM
When will the NFL ever learn running qbs like rg3 Vick geno Stewart are all short term go no where's qb. Pos dog killers and gang bangers....I'm so glad we du idnt drAft one

Frankenchief
10-27-2013, 05:02 PM
The good

The first half offense. They put up points moved the ball a lot and kept the Browns offense off the field.

The bad

The offense in the 2nd half. EVERYONE was pretty bad. The O line stunk it up that hurt everyone. Smith had no time to do much. And that offense just wasn't moving the ball like they did in the first half.
It's called halftime adjustment. They adjusted and we didn't anticipate their adjustments.

They have a great DC. Our OC is still under evaluation.

jap1
10-27-2013, 05:03 PM
When will the NFL ever learn running qbs like rg3 Vick geno Stewart are all short term go no where's qb. Pos dog killers and gang bangers....I'm so glad we du idnt drAft one

They said the same things about two QBs that were running QBs for their time ... Montana and Young. Alex Smith was a running QB in college and has something like the 5thmost rushing yds by a QB.

QBs who are smart about when they run can and will be very dangerous to any defense (like Russel Wilson).

matthewschiefs
10-27-2013, 05:05 PM
It's called halftime adjustment. They adjusted and we didn't anticipate their adjustments.

LOL i just mentioned adjustments in your thread

jap1
10-27-2013, 05:08 PM

I wonder if this is why our D always seems a step behind in the 3rd quarter, but picks it up in the 4th? The other offense makes adjustments at halftime, and it takes to the 4th quarter for us to adjust to their adjustments.

Eydugstr
10-27-2013, 05:11 PM
The good

The first half offense. They put up points moved the ball a lot and kept the Browns offense off the field. That's the offense that will win this team games. They have to put it together for a whole game something that so far they have failed to do. But That offense was really good. Still some things to work out but that's the offense this team needs.

The defense 1st and 4th They started the game out forcing 3 and outs and they finished the job in the 4th. Running Qbs still a problem but they got the job done yet again.

The bad

The offense in the 2nd half. EVERYONE was pretty bad. The O line stunk it up that hurt everyone. Smith had no time to do much. And that offense just wasn't moving the ball like they did in the first half. They have to find some way to pull it together for a whole game not a half. They show what this offense can be then they start stinking up the joint like they did in the 2nd half today

The defense in the 2nd and 3rd. They just were not getting the job done. They were not getting to the QB like they have this year. Gordon was beating everyone even Flowers. If they play like that it's going to get us beat but they did get the job done when it matter much. They just had a bump in the road.

Overall this is one that the Chiefs are very lucky to win. The Browns could have won this game if they didn't make so many mistakes of there own and some unforced mistakes at that like Bess. Very lucky but good teams find a way to win these games and that's what the Chiefs did. 8-0 Bring on the Bills

First off, hat's off to the Browns for coming into the loudest stadium in the world, and keeping their composure with a new QB. Their defense is really good. They shut down Alex Smith's running lanes, which is the guy's go-to move when the play breaks down. Their offensive adjustments in the second half were really good as well - they double teamed the right guys at the right time. Other teams are going to be dissecting film of this game trying to copy what Cleveland did today.

What killed the Browns today was the turnover and time out management. For all the things they did right, that turnover burned enough time off the clock to screw them towards the end.

iratefan
10-27-2013, 05:13 PM
you guys are crazy if you couldnt notice that jason campbell was releasing the ball quickly and usually accurately all game long. do you really excpect hali and houston to break the edge blocking and get to the qb every play that fast? they were playing just as hard and fast as they always do. This game, they didnt see a great many qb progressions being made, just quick passes usually to the first read for consistent yardage. IMO thats sort of a testament to norv turner and his gameplan (and yes, adjustments) than it is to the chiefs D being a step off or lazy or whatever it was you guys were calling them in the game thread.

Frankenchief
10-27-2013, 05:20 PM
when will the nfl ever learn running qbs like rg3 vick geno stewart are all short term go no where's qb. Pos dog killers and gang bangers....i'm so glad we du idnt draft one
OH MY GOD!!!!!

This sounds pretty racist!!!

jap1
10-27-2013, 05:29 PM
OH MY GOD!!!!!

This sounds pretty racist!!!

Especially since RG3 is supposedly a really respectful, hard working army brat.

jason1981
10-27-2013, 05:53 PM
W3ll first I went to my first chiefs game ever. Thats the good and we won but the bad. Wow I came away disappointed. We opened up good then that damng flea flicker. But our offense looks worse in person than on tv. Smith rarely had time to throw and always had to move around. Oline is keeling us. How is the qb and wr suppose to start gelling together and get their timing down and getting use to eachother when smith doesnt have anytime to throw. The oline is slowwing our passing progress way down and run blocking just as bad. Albert got smoked on ou4 flea flicker luckily smith didnt fumble as he got hit almost simultaneously. Glad we won but almos5 felt like we didnt deserve it. WE shouldnt hwve even let thek stay in the game. And mccluster needs to learn to fair catch .

Frankenchief
10-27-2013, 05:55 PM
OK, I see there is a 3rd thread about this subject. I humbly yield to the fastest of the threads and bring mine here for reactions and replies. Apologies for any incidental redundancy. Mods could you please remove my thread here? http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php/23428-Game-8-observations.

I'll get right to the meat:

1a- This O NEEDs to improve. Buffalo WILL be tough and I for one do not remember KC doing well there. The rest of the schedule is going to be tough if our O is like this. The first half was very promising and Alex was getting good protection. But when Cleveland adjusted for the 2nd half, we had almost no answer. Granted, we were again playing against a very good D.

1b- Alex Smith: This was the first time I can totally go with the label of game manager for him. He is still mil;es ahead of Cassel, but his newly obvious trend of high passes on tosses over 7 yards needs to be fixed fast. I don't know what it takes, but he needs to be sharp next week in cold Buffalo.

2- When was the last time we scored a TD on our very first drive? I'm sure we've had one this year, but I don't remember it. After two initial excellent drives we should have been 14-0, not 6-0.

3- Gimmick plays have never worked consistantly for the Chiefs since Hank Stram. There was a big difference in the execution of the flea flicker by the Browns and by the chiefs in this game. Our reverse in the 1st quarter developed very slowly in the backfield and expectedly didn't go anywhere.

4- Bowe may not have yet gotten untracked in receiving, but I think his blocking is priceless. He doesn't get much credit for that.

5- Twilight Zone moment of the game: Andy declined a running-into-the-kicker penalty giving the momentum riding Cleveland O the ball on their 27! WHAT THE HELL?!! Why not let the best punter in football punt from 5 yard closer and try to pin Cleveland deeper in their own end? I'm totall stumped on this.

6- Andy almost did not challenge a 3rd down play when the refs spotted the ball a full yard back of where Alex had gone down, almost forcing us into a 4th and inches decision. It was so obvious that my grandma could have seen it, and she's long been dead. WTH ANDY?!

7- Our D is a great one, needless to say. we asked for an attacking., swarming D and we got one. But the nature of this kind of D is that occasionally it's vulnerable to the big play. The last two weeks this has been exposed a little bit. One of these weeks the D will give away one too many big plays and I hope our O is ready to take the wheel then.

8- Cleveland has two great coordinators.

NJChiefs
10-27-2013, 06:01 PM
"I feel like we lost this game." Seriously?? I didn't get to see this game, but I get the impression from reading some of these threads that we're starting to buy into the opinion of the rest of the country that the Chiefs really suck, and are just the luckiest team in the history of the NFL. 8-0, 8-0, 8-0, 8-0. This has got to be the first time in history that a fan base is embarrassed by it's 8-0 team. I'll take luck any day of the week ... or at least on Sundays ... for another eight weeks and then some. Just keep winning. I don't care if we suck.

brdempsey69
10-27-2013, 06:21 PM
"I feel like we lost this game." Seriously?? I didn't get to see this game, but I get the impression from reading some of these threads that we're starting to buy into the opinion of the rest of the country that the Chiefs really suck, and are just the luckiest team in the history of the NFL. 8-0, 8-0, 8-0, 8-0. This has got to be the first time in history that a fan base is embarrassed by it's 8-0 team. I'll take luck any day of the week ... or at least on Sundays ... for another eight weeks and then some. Just keep winning. I don't care if we suck.

Not saying that it is bad that the Chiefs have started 8-0 -- it's great!! But there are chinks in the armor at this point that do have many rightfully concerned about how things will finish by the time the season is over. Luck isn't always going to last & it may not help the Chiefs if they have to face that other team from Ohio ( the Bengals ) who seem to be progressively getting better by the week, especially on Offense.

MissingTBone
10-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Yeah the in game stat I saw was Cleveland's running D is 4th and their pass D is 7th. They have a good D!! I think they're being sold short! Wish we had the cap space to pick up a FA WR. We need one desperately!!

jap1
10-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Yeah the in game stat I saw was Cleveland's running D is 4th and their pass D is 7th. They have a good D!! I think they're being sold short! Wish we had the cap space to pick up a FA WR. We need one desperately!!

We have about 3-4 mil. The problem is that there are no receivers worth anything available at this point in the season.

Frankenchief
10-27-2013, 07:46 PM
We have about 3-4 mil. The problem is that there are no receivers worth anything available at this point in the season.
Atlanta lost badly to Arizona, TONY GONZALEZ, COME ON HOME!

Eydugstr
10-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Not saying that it is bad that the Chiefs have started 8-0 -- it's great!! But there are chinks in the armor at this point that do have many rightfully concerned about how things will finish by the time the season is over. Luck isn't always going to last & it may not help the Chiefs if they have to face that other team from Ohio ( the Bengals ) who seem to be progressively getting better by the week, especially on Offense.

Agreed. I'm very proud of this team going 8-0, but there are a LOT of things that need to be fixed.

texaschief
10-27-2013, 08:03 PM
This team did NOT play well today. You have these kinds of games throughout a season. I'm not sure what the deal was today. Probably overlooking the Browns a little bit. I'm not too worried about this performance carrying over.

If the Chiefs are serious about winning this season and expect a deep playoff run, they need to make a move by Tuesday. I'd love to see them pull the trigger on a Josh Gordon trade. The Chiefs need to find someone who can consistently separate from the defender so Alex isn't sitting there holding the ball so long in the pocket. Defenses wouldn't be able to double team Bowe, Gordon, AND stack the box against Charles like they've been doing. Although it seems dead, getting Gonzo back would benefit this team immensely as well.

Something needs to be done about this offense. We're half way through the season and the elephant in the room is offensive efficiency. It needs to be addressed if this team is serious.

Eydugstr
10-27-2013, 08:22 PM
This team did NOT play well today. You have these kinds of games throughout a season. I'm not sure what the deal was today. Probably overlooking the Browns a little bit. I'm not too worried about this performance carrying over.

If the Chiefs are serious about winning this season and expect a deep playoff run, they need to make a move by Tuesday. I'd love to see them pull the trigger on a Josh Gordon trade. The Chiefs need to find someone who can consistently separate from the defender so Alex isn't sitting there holding the ball so long in the pocket. Defenses wouldn't be able to double team Bowe, Gordon, AND stack the box against Charles like they've been doing. Although it seems dead, getting Gonzo back would benefit this team immensely as well.

Something needs to be done about this offense. We're half way through the season and the elephant in the room is offensive efficiency. It needs to be addressed if this team is serious.

When I first heard about the TG talk, brushed it off...but now it's looking like it'd be a good chance for TG to make the playoffs and it would definitely give a boost to our offense. If anything can see the locker room presence lighting a fire under Fasano and McGrath.

matthewschiefs
10-27-2013, 09:05 PM

Getting Tony G back would be nice but I don't see him going anywhere. It's just not going to happen.

It would be real nice to see them bring in some playmaker even if it were to mean they would have to trade Bowe. He just doesn't fit well with Alex. I gave Bowe a pass today since he was playing hurt. But he lack of production isn't limited to today. He just hasn't done it this year. I really don't see them making a move. But it would help for sure.

The offense showed promise in the first half. That is an offense this team can win with. They need to spend the week working on keeping the production they got in the first half the whole game. 20 points a half would mean 40 points a game. That offense is good for this team. I think today showed some slight progress but it has to get better. We have the bye week coming up. Then we have Denver. The offense has had half a season to get in tune they have to start showing more progress.

Frankenchief
10-27-2013, 09:21 PM
It would be real nice to see them bring in some playmaker even if it were to mean they would have to trade Bowe. He just doesn't fit well with Alex. I gave Bowe a pass today since he was playing hurt.

I disagree here. At this stage a WR is not a good fit with Alex. Alex Smith seems more of a TE first QB. We used Bowe in the slot with some success last week. that's another area Alex is somewhat comfortable with. He just does not target Bowe much because he's worried that Bowe might be double-covered. Alex seems deathly afraid of tossing INTs.

Frankenchief
10-27-2013, 09:25 PM
The offense showed promise in the first half. That is an offense this team can win with. They need to spend the week working on keeping the production they got in the first half the whole game. 20 points a half would mean 40 points a game. That offense is good for this team. I think today showed some slight progress but it has to get better. We have the bye week coming up. Then we have Denver. The offense has had half a season to get in tune they have to start showing more progress.

As I said before, IMO our OC failed to anticipate Cleveland's halftime adjustment to our O. We got comfortable and almost paid the price for it. Creative OCs should think "OK, what would I do if I were the other team's DC?" Then they would adjust for THAT. It's like a chess match.

kcvet
10-27-2013, 09:29 PM
I was worried. our D was really getting owned today. the Browns O really sliced and diced it pretty good. not much pressure on Campbell, who threw some good bombs. IMO the best opponent we faced so far. our O scored all the points but our D finally made the stops when needed.

we're still called the worst 8-0 team out there and im sick a hearing it

nigeriannightmare
10-27-2013, 09:31 PM

They have a pretty good OC too. The Browns aren't a bad team. If they had better play at the QB spot. They have three good WRs and an up and coming tight end. They have good defenders at all the lines. They beat the Bengals who many consider a Super Bowl sleeper. This is not a bad team.

kcvet
10-27-2013, 09:39 PM
They have a pretty good OC too. The Browns aren't a bad team. If they had better play at the QB spot. They have three good WRs and an up and coming tight end. They have good defenders at all the lines. They beat the Bengals who many consider a Super Bowl sleeper. This is not a bad team.

and I was thinking this 7-0 balloon was gonna pop today

Sick Dog
10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Its a long season and these games are going to happen but the difference is they find a way to win...I bet the Broncos wish they won last week when they were not at their best...get past the Bills game and they have a bye week to work on areas they need to be better in....There is not a perfect team in the NFL people...I don't go on the Donkeys boards but I bet it is the complete opposite of ours and they are concerned about their Defense...I would rather have a great "D" than a great "O"...Defense wins championships and Defense can score points...Offense can't stop teams from scoring!

kcvet
10-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Its a long season and these games are going to happen but the difference is they find a way to win...I bet the Broncos wish they won last week when they were not at their best...get past the Bills game and they have a bye week to work on areas they need to be better in....There is not a perfect team in the NFL people...I don't go on the Donkeys boards but I bet it is the complete opposite of ours and they are concerned about their Defense...I would rather have a great "D" than a great "O"...Defense wins championships and Defense can score points...Offense can't stop teams from scoring!

...I don't go on the Donkeys boards but I bet it is the complete opposite of ours

I do. their a bunch a cry babies. they pout, throw fits and crap their diapers

brdempsey69
10-28-2013, 01:49 AM

And those Donks fans are also retarded enough to think that Elway was in the same class as Joe Montana, when he clearly wasn't, and they think the Donks won those SB's outright in '97 and '98 when they didn't, but had them given to them. Here's one piece of proof of that:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html

The statements made by Pat Bowlen are a pretext -- nothing more.

jason1981
10-28-2013, 02:53 AM

Yeah I go on there as well. Theres slot of lordy type mmembers on there who was saying game was over in the first half. And all of them thinks the chiefs hwve no chwnce to best them.

kcvet
10-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Yeah I go on there as well. Theres slot of lordy type mmembers on there who was saying game was over in the first half. And all of them thinks the chiefs hwve no chwnce to best them.

which forum and what's your screen name ???