PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Gonzalez aka Greetings from Atlanta

karst41
10-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Greetings from Atlanta.

Obvious that the Falcons season is a train wreck due to injuries
and questionable drafting by Dimitroff.

Tony has brought us many spectacular plays and he is still playing at a very high level
in spite of missing training camp.

Many Falcon Fans really appreciate what the man has brought to the team and
in his final season it makes most of us sick to the stomach to see him
trapped with a team that will be drafting #8 overall.

We want this guy to exit the game with a team that has a strong chance to
play for the Lombardi, and the Chiefs are in a very good place right now.

Tony has stated that he has no desire to be traded away from his team mates in Atlanta (mostly Ryan)
and is not going to throw us under the bus.
The guy has Class.

If we just cut him the the Jags will have first dibbies on him.

Trading for draft picks is a bit much being that this is his final season
and we are paying his azz $7mil.
So I am thinking a 7th ?? or a player off your roster.
We need defensive help,,and I am betting that your scrubs are better than ours.

Any thoughts?
or do I have to emotionally hold the Donks (Denver) over your heads..

Yaeh yeah yeah,,, I know that was a cheap shot, but for the sake of Gonzalez
I just had to ;)

Cheers

Any of y'all remember the Atlanta Cheifs?

Seek
10-29-2013, 12:28 PM
I personally like all of our players on Defense and do not want to part ways with any off them, but I guess we could part ways with Dunta Robinson straight up for Tony G. I mean the Falcons are still paying him anyway, Right.

While I know many want Tony G to be on this team. I would not give up anything but a 7th rounder for him and then immediately trade for Josh Gordon from Cleveland.

Our receiver set would be Gordon, Bowe with Tony G in slot and Fasano on the line. With J Charles in the back field.

karst41
10-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Robinson???

Ok I deserved that for throwing the Donks in your face,,fair enough :D)

Coach
10-29-2013, 01:37 PM
We are up against the cap so it would need to be an expensive player with very little time left on their contract. Probably would need to be someone like Tyson Jackson or Branden Albert. Those are the only two viable options I can think of unless it is a multiple player trade. Given our offensive line struggles, it seems like Tyson Jackson is really the only viable option.

The Chiefs aren't going to give up a draft pick and a player for TG, in my opinion it would be one or the other not both.

Would you be in favor of trading Tyson Jackson for Tony Gonzalez? I might be. TJ will likely not get a new deal in a KC anyhow.

iratefan
10-29-2013, 02:07 PM
We are up against the cap so it would need to be an expensive player with very little time left on their contract. Probably would need to be someone like Tyson Jackson or Branden Albert. Those are the only two viable options I can think of unless it is a multiple player trade. Given our offensive line struggles, it seems like Tyson Jackson is really the only viable option.

The Chiefs aren't going to give up a draft pick and a player for TG, in my opinion it would be one or the other not both.

Would you be in favor of trading Tyson Jackson for Tony Gonzalez? I might be. TJ will likely not get a new deal in a KC anyhow.

I cant see this chiefs regime giving up any of its current or future talent potential for a one-off, half a season deal for gonzo, as good as he is, i just dont see it happening. the chiefs would love to take him, sure, but i think the chiefs are even more reluctant to give up anything for almost anyone right now than the falcons are on giving up gonzo.

I call this rumor a dud that doesnt pan out for us. maybe for another team though, who knows.

Justin5772002
10-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Dowr hae anyone who can immediately put at Jackson's DE position that can play at his level?

were getting rid of Albert this offseason I believe I think he's the better viable option Stephenson already proved himself to be able to pick up in his absense. Would be pla perfect time being we have our bye week and we can plug and practice before we plug and play

TopekaRoy
10-29-2013, 02:18 PM
If anything is going to happen, it has to happen in the next 45 minutes. the trade deadline is today at 2 pm central time.

I think we'll stand pat, though.

Justin5772002
10-29-2013, 03:28 PM
I can say this, if we pick someone up before the deadline I believe our coaches are going for the Super Bowl this year if not we will be building for the future

doobs_05
10-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Falcons - "hey tony, we want you to come back, we were so close last year"

Tony -"i don't know"

F - "come on man, we'll be better this year"

T- "okay!"

2-6 later

T - "you know what would be great, if i ended my career in KC and you guys got a draft pick out of it"

F - "uhhh.... NO you're staying with us forever, and you'll never leave"

kcvet
10-29-2013, 04:32 PM
its still in the news

: Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:07 a.m. Updated: Oct. 29, 2013 at 02:59 p.m.

Tony Gonzalez open to trade, but Falcons won't do it

story (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000271778/article/tony-gonzalez-open-to-trade-but-falcons-wont-do-it)

doobs_05
10-29-2013, 04:44 PM
It's over, deadline past, no trade

NFL has the least exciting trade deadline in sports

Pro_Angler
10-29-2013, 04:57 PM
we could trade you another tony..moeiaki?? opps he is already gone.... i'd love to have tony g back, but i dont think falcons are gonna let him go.. he better retire a chief though!!!!!!!!!!!!

ctchiefsfan
10-29-2013, 06:36 PM
karst41....

Thanks for stopping in and being positive and polite.

The deadline is past now so it ain't going to happen, but the TG back to KC scenario has been heating up boards everywhere. A lot of Chiefs fans really want to see TG back in red and gold and tearing defenses up at Arrowhead....at least one more time. As a sentimental old softie I would have loved to have seen it if the price was right.

But this season is the end for TG in Atlanta. Next year he will be a free agent. Maybe we'll get to see him in red and gold again. Wouldn't that be a kick!

But y'know, sentiment aside, I think TG is like that REALLY BLAZING HOT girl we all dated at one point of another....He has moved on and as a business so have the Chiefs. Sheds a bit of a tear for what could have been.

Seek
10-30-2013, 12:39 PM
It's over, deadline past, no trade

NFL has the least exciting trade deadline in sports

For obvious resons. You don't trade for a player and insert them in the line up that same week and expect full participation. They still have to learn the the plays, and gel with the players, and build chemistry.

Like it or not, Sean McGrath appears to be a locker room type of guy and gets along with the players. Benching him when he came through for this team to help them get to 8-0 when we needed help in favor of a player who will only be here for 8 games is kind of burning a bridge when the real problem is not the weapons catching the ball, but rather the protection allowing the thrower to ge the ball to them.

Alex had time in the first half and the offense moved the ball on every single snap. Second half he was running for his life and the offense died. Other than helping out by Blocking, I don't see how Tony G fixes that problem.

doobs_05
10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
For obvious resons. You don't trade for a player and insert them in the line up that same week and expect full participation. They still have to learn the the plays, and gel with the players, and build chemistry.

Like it or not, Sean McGrath appears to be a locker room type of guy and gets along with the players. Benching him when he came through for this team to help them get to 8-0 when we needed help in favor of a player who will only be here for 8 games is kind of burning a bridge when the real problem is not the weapons catching the ball, but rather the protection allowing the thrower to ge the ball to them.

Alex had time in the first half and the offense moved the ball on every single snap. Second half he was running for his life and the offense died. Other than helping out by Blocking, I don't see how Tony G fixes that problem.

I understand that

The o-line is a problem but the other problem is a lot of players are not getting seperation (Alex running is just not because of the line), and some of the problem is alex just not geting the ball in the WRs hands when they're open.

ctchiefsfan
10-30-2013, 01:26 PM
I could use some education here because I am not very familiar with a lot of NFL contract law.....

1) TG's contract ends at the end of this season.

2) With Atlanta falling apart, I assume he will retire at the end of this season.

3) Would that make him a free agent next year and free to sign a 1 year contract with the Chiefs to try for one last run at the Super Bowl or would we have to compensate Atlanta in some way if we signed him for a 1 year contract?

Can somebody educate me please?

Seek
10-30-2013, 02:44 PM
I could use some education here because I am not very familiar with a lot of NFL contract law.....

1) TG's contract ends at the end of this season.

2) With Atlanta falling apart, I assume he will retire at the end of this season.

3) Would that make him a free agent next year and free to sign a 1 year contract with the Chiefs to try for one last run at the Super Bowl or would we have to compensate Atlanta in some way if we signed him for a 1 year contract?

Can somebody educate me please?

TG had retired last year, but since they were so close to making it to the Superbowl he signed a one year deal to give it one more shot. He will retire after this year, unless he gets the Brett Farve itch... TG has been talking retirment two years before leaving KC.

ctchiefsfan
10-30-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm aware of that. But do you have any answers regarding the questions I asked about next year? He's going to retire. No doubt. But would he then truly be a free agent that the Chiefs could negotiate with without owing Atlanta any compensation? In other words, could he come out of retirement, sign with the Chiefs and the Chiefs not owe Atlanta anything? Maybe I'm crazy, but if we get close this year I don't see this as a farfetched scenario if we don't have to compensate Atlanta in any way. TG is still dreaming about that ring and I don't have a hard time imagining his taking one more shot at it the way he did last year. Lord knows he still has some gas in the tank.

jap1
10-30-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm aware of that. But do you have any answers regarding the questions I asked about next year? He's going to retire. No doubt. But would he then truly be a free agent that the Chiefs could negotiate with without owing Atlanta any compensation? In other words, could he come out of retirement, sign with the Chiefs and the Chiefs not owe Atlanta anything? Maybe I'm crazy, but if we get close this year I don't see this as a farfetched scenario if we don't have to compensate Atlanta in any way. TG is still dreaming about that ring and I don't have a hard time imagining his taking one more shot at it the way he did last year. Lord knows he still has some gas in the tank.

Whether he retires or not, he is a free agent at the end of the year, meaning he could sign with anyone, and Atlanta would receive nothing in compensation from us (if he signed with us, they would probably be awarded a compensatory pick, but that comes from the league, not us).

ctchiefsfan
10-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks jap1!!! I thought that was the case but I don't know contract rules well enough to be sure. I don't see Dorsey giving up a pick for a 1 year player, but if all he cost us was the cash for a 1 year contract then it becomes an interesting idea....becomes a matter of how badly TG wants that ring. I wonder??????

ctchiefsfan
10-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Reports that we made an offer for TG..... http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dbBXv?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=kansas-city-chiefs

Given how Dorsey is about draft picks, I find it sketchy. What do you think?????

jap1
10-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Reports that we made an offer for TG..... http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dbBXv?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=kansas-city-chiefs

Given how Dorsey is about draft picks, I find it sketchy. What do you think?????

I would have offered a 5th round pick. I mean, after all how often is a 5th round pick a long term contributor on anything more than special teams (except for maybe a kicker or LS). Anything less than a 5th and I would have said no dice.

ctchiefsfan
10-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Whether it's true or not, it makes "TG the Free Agent" in 2014 an interesting story. Sure he's retiring. Can't blame him. But he has been retiring for 2 straight years now. One last try for the ring....in red and gold???????? Talk about "cinderella stories"......

Seek
10-31-2013, 12:47 PM
What difference does it make. The deadline passed and he is still in Atlanta. Why bring up talks of rumors?

ctchiefsfan
10-31-2013, 02:06 PM
What difference does it make. The deadline passed and he is still in Atlanta. Why bring up talks of rumors?

Because he would be a free agent next year and if the Chiefs looked like a contender he might be willing to take one more shot at that ring he wants so much. Giving up a pick for him and picking up the last half of his contract would have been a stretch.....but if we could get one year out of him for nothing more than a paycheck????