View Full Version : Game 10 thoughts/rant about the WR core

matthewschiefs
11-18-2013, 12:44 AM
The good
The chiefs didn't get blown out like many thought

Alex Smith played well overall

The defense made a number of stops held manning to 1 passing td

The bad

Our WR core It sucks. You can call me negitive but I'm just calling it like I see it. This is not a one night bad night thing. This has been something that has happened all year long. It was what largely cost the Chiefs the ball game. They couldn't get open. And to me something that I'm starting to see more and more of with them if they don't get open right away they just stop and start watching Alex. That's not going to get the job done. Quiting on the play is just not going to work. If this WR core can't get their :sign0053: together this team isn't going to head anywhere. Again you can call me negitive all you want but that's just how I fell about the WRS on this team right now. They just are NOT getting the job done. People will bash Alex but he CAN NOT catch the ball for these guys. That's not his job. Alex misses some throws yes every QB does just like every team has drops but this team has way to many drops and it's costing the offense like they did tonight. I'm growing tired of this. This team is so close to being able to compete for a title but the WRS are slacking off on the job and they don't seem to care.

mcclusterfan1982
11-18-2013, 12:58 AM
The good
The chiefs didn't get blown out like many thought

Alex Smith played well overall

The defense made a number of stops held manning to 1 passing td

The bad

Our WR core It sucks. You can call me negitive but I'm just calling it like I see it. This is not a one night bad night thing. This has been something that has happened all year long. It was what largely cost the Chiefs the ball game. They couldn't get open. And to me something that I'm starting to see more and more of with them if they don't get open right away they just stop and start watching Alex. That's not going to get the job done. Quiting on the play is just not going to work. If this WR core can't get their :sign0053: together this team isn't going to head anywhere. Again you can call me negitive all you want but that's just how I fell about the WRS on this team right now. They just are NOT getting the job done. People will bash Alex but he CAN NOT catch the ball for these guys. That's not his job. Alex misses some throws yes every QB does just like every team has drops but this team has way to many drops and it's costing the offense like they did tonight. I'm growing tired of this. This team is so close to being able to compete for a title but the WRS are slacking off on the job and they don't seem to care. Cheer up! The sun will still rise tomorrow!

brdempsey69
11-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Sums it up very well, Matt. A better functioning Offense -- especially the WR's -- and it's a totally different ball game tonight.

Dorsey/Reid will not stand pat on the this WR group come this offseason. They will go after playmakers & get rid of the current slackers. Also need a healthy and blossoming Kelce to help at TE.

And you make an excellent point that the WR's just quit on a play and do not try to run to open areas to help Alex Smith out and this has been discussed to death by Len Dawson all season long as well as their inability to get separation from defenders.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 01:01 AM
Alex Smith played well overall I have to totally disagree with that, dude. IMO, he regressed tonight. He acted nervous, confused and overwhelmed a lot of times. Also he held on to the damn ball too much and got sacked for it.

I was not very excited when we traded two 2s for Smith. For the record I was quite pumped at the rumors that we might go after Nick Foles. But I'm far from an Alex hater. He is a distinct upgrade over Cassel and has my support. So my criticism here is unbiased.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Our WR core It sucks. You can call me negitive but I'm just calling it like I see it. This is not a one night bad night thing. This has been something that has happened all year long. It was what largely cost the Chiefs the ball game. They couldn't get open. And to me something that I'm starting to see more and more of with them if they don't get open right away they just stop and start watching Alex. That's not going to get the job done. Quiting on the play is just not going to work. If this WR core can't get their :sign0053: together this team isn't going to head anywhere. Again you can call me negitive all you want but that's just how I fell about the WRS on this team right now. They just are NOT getting the job done. People will bash Alex but he CAN NOT catch the ball for these guys. That's not his job. .... This team is so close to being able to compete for a title but the WRS are slacking off on the job and they don't seem to care.
I totally agree with this.

Avery might have been a good receiver, once upon a time. But he is the WR's version of Thomas Jones when we got HIM, a has been.

D-Bowe who has always been one of my favorite players seems to have lost his desire and runs lazy routs. Maybe the big contract brought out the LJ in him. I certainly hope not. We all know his not a separator. His fote is the physical catch. But there were many times tonight that I screamed at the screen when he didn't put up more an effort to secure some hard catches. A super star WR makes the hard catches. Some of the balls thrown at him were not great, but man, THAT'S WHY YOU GET THE BIG MONEY!!!

For the life of me I'm at a loss as to why Hemingway doesn't see more time. Every time he has played he has shown good hands. I just don't get it.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 01:14 AM
The good (added to yours)

Eric Fisher played a solid game against 58. He seems to be starting to get comfortable. The sack he gave up against Wolfe was bad, but I don't remember any other bad moment about him. Some good moments actually come to mind.

The Bad

We had more 1st rounders on the lines both side of the ball than they did. So tell me why our high draft pick O-line and D-line could not dominate theirs!

Justin5772002
11-18-2013, 01:19 AM
What worries me about Alex Smith is in the last minute we had 2 plays to throw Hail Marys and that idiot dumps the ball to Jamal Charles both times. So mad that he made everyone's views about him seem a lot more likely even though I've defended him several times. Is he putting his ball control stats ahead of chances to attempt to win?

Justin5772002
11-18-2013, 01:21 AM
It's time to dump Avery. I think that's why we signed Williams though. I believe they're just giving him time to learn the playbook

matthewschiefs
11-18-2013, 01:21 AM
I have to totally disagree with that, dude. IMO, he regressed tonight. He acted nervous, confused and overwhelmed a lot of times. Also he held on to the damn ball too much and got sacked for it.

I was not very excited when we traded two 2s for Smith. For the record I was quite pumped at the rumors that we might go after Nick Foles. But I'm far from an Alex hater. He is a distinct upgrade over Cassel and has my support. So my criticism here is unbiased.

I don't think there is any way Foles is going anywhere. But that's just me. And Andy as far as I know still belives in Alex Smith

The rest I have to strongly disagree with. I will agree with you I thought we gave up to much for Alex but I didn't see him regress at all. I saw him make a number of throws that could have and should have been caught. That were dropped if they were caught that's a different ball game. And the Chiefs don't punt as often as they did. Alex was also running for his life at times which doesn't help and he advoid some sacks that were from instant pressure. There are some throws I'll grant you he could have and should have made but overall I thought he played well I'll agree to disagree with you there.

I totally agree with this.

Avery might have been a good receiver, once upon a time. But he is the WR's version of Thomas Jones when we got HIM, a has been.

D-Bowe who has always been one of my favorite players seems to have lost his desire and runs lazy routs. Maybe the big contract brought out the LJ in him. I certainly hope not. We all know his not a separator. His fote is the physical catch. But there were many times tonight that I screamed at the screen when he didn't put up more an effort to secure some hard catches. A super star WR makes the hard catches. Some of the balls thrown at him were not great, but man, THAT'S WHY YOU GET THE BIG MONEY!!!

For the life of me I'm at a loss as to why Hemingway doesn't see more time. Every time he has played he has shown good hands. I just don't get it.

I agree with you 100% here.

Which is why I don't think You can say Alex regressed.

There was a play that when NBC showed the Denver coverage on the WRs on replay I watched as they showed our WRs 1 by 1 they each ran there rout and then just stopped like who cares when they didn't get open right away. The wr core on this team is junk right now and right now I really don't see it getting better this season. They just don't have anyone who has shown they can step up outside of Bowe when he wants to which isn't very often now that he got paid

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 01:35 AM
I don't think there is any way Foles is going anywhere. But that's just me. And Andy as far as I know still belives in Alex Smith
Not anymore he isn't. I was talking about last off season when it looked like Andy wanted to bring him to the Chiefs and the talk was Foles was not a good fit for Chip Kelly's offense.

jap1
11-18-2013, 01:47 AM
From what I saw Alex was doing great in the first half. Putting the ball exactly where it needed to go and throwing downfield. We had some horrible drops. In the second halftime either he was hesitating too much or WRs weren't getting separation. Bowe was great in the first half, then he disappeared.

N TX Dave
11-18-2013, 03:23 AM
I have been unhappy all season with the WR, I set here with my son in law (a Cowboys fan) and say why can't the Chiefs WRs catch like that as I watch some of the other teams out there and their WRs make one handed catches or diving catches? I am so tired of our WR having the ball hit them in the hands and them dropping them. I have thought they were what is holding the Offense back.

But I am still happy with the game I told my son in law before the game it was either going to be a Chiefs win 20-17 or lose 40-10 so it was closer to the win and was not a blow out and we held them to their lowest output of the year. If we can beat them at home in two weeks we will be back in control again. I sure hoped the team learned something tonight to use in two weeks. I am curious how low we will drop in the rankings, I say to 5 or 6. I say behind Denver, NO, Seattle maybe Indy and 49ers because everyone want them to win.

MissingTBone
11-18-2013, 06:36 AM
As has happened all season out WR can't seperate, can't catch well placed balls. And their D line got LOTS more penetration on our O line than vice versa. I hope we can find a way to get some pressure on Manning in 2 weeks or it might be more of the same.

Seek
11-18-2013, 08:51 AM
I think the problem here is that the Chiefs were 2-14 last year. This is year one with this new team. You can't fix the entire team in one year even though they drastically over hauled it. The Chiefs addressed what they could in year one with what was avaiable and are constantly looking are receivers to upgrade. Another part of the problem is the offense scheme is built more around check downs.

iratefan
11-18-2013, 09:34 AM
I think youve really nailed a big part of the issue. I think tonight has identified two things.

1. the offensive line is FINALLY beginning to show serious signs of improvement. the last two games have been noticeably better than the 4 before them. They still struggle to pick up the blitz but smith generally has been pretty good at escaping bad situations (in game settings where he doesnt feel pressed to make a big play immediately). Smith had several full 5 second + snaps that allowed for some good passing gains (when they werent being dropped). Fisher got beat hard on the one smith sack that i could see that was glaringly bad.

2. The damn receiving core flat out STOPS. Dwayne Bowe shows up for about half of his routes. if he knows the ball isnt coming his way (and half the time even when he does know) - he just looks flat out slow. every now and then he'll show a burst of speed but IMO if youre not going to give it your all every play you DONT deserve to be #1 receiver.

And yet he is alex smith's only target!!! actually scratch that, the non-wr-receivers are his best target(s) (fasano and godbeard). Seriously when you start sending jamaal charles down the edge to beat the one on one coverage and then depend on this QB to make that kind of throw... then youve officially ran out of viable options.

If you cant be useful to a play, you sure as **** better not be a liability like committing holding/bad blocking penalties that are no where near the area of play. I was high on the possibilities of avery stepping up for this team earlier in the season but that has proved to be a complete flop and im beginning to want to see what some of our depth might be able to provide.

Side note : how the hell can you seriously say that alex smith has regressed tonight? That guy was playing at a much higher level than anyone else on that offense. The passes that counted were all where they needed to be. I dont recall even one real threat of a dangerous interception throw. He took some sacks and held on to the ball way too long and that is extremely frustrating to watch, but what we are watching is just the pocket. we dont get a chance to see whats happening down field which is what the dude is looking at. I think half of that relates directly to having some real options that Smith can feel confident in throwing to.

This denver game was a matchup as follows offensively

Peyton Manning, with Eric Decker(who was largely muted for the night), Demarius Thomas (against rookie corner cooper) and Wes Welker.

and we have Alex Smith with Dwayne the show Bowe (-_-), uhh that other guy that the colts let go, then lets see theres that TE with the big beard, hes kinda good sometimes. Well we got no one so lets line up jamaal charles on the sideline route?!?!

And we're surprised by our lack of offensive production....

We've got Andy pass-is-as-good-as-any-run-game-plan Reid helming this offensive scheme and not a single target worth his salt that we can throw to. Doesnt feel like a sound fit right now.

KCRaised13
11-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Sums it up very well, Matt. A better functioning Offense -- especially the WR's -- and it's a totally different ball game tonight.

Dorsey/Reid will not stand pat on the this WR group come this offseason. They will go after playmakers & get rid of the current slackers. Also need a healthy and blossoming Kelce to help at TE.

And you make an excellent point that the WR's just quit on a play and do not try to run to open areas to help Alex Smith out and this has been discussed to death by Len Dawson all season long as well as their inability to get separation from defenders.

I'm personally not worried about the offseason. I'm worried about squandering a 9-1 season now

kcvet
11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
well let's see how they bounce back from the first L

I think Reids' had a belly full of these WR's.

Seek
11-18-2013, 10:59 AM
I think Alex Regressed. Out of everything he is considered a very smart player, but he made some mental mistakes this game he normally does not. Such as the sack right before the half pushing them completely out of field Goal range. Not that making a 56 yard field goal is easy, it was at least a shot. Succop does not have the leg for a 64 yarder. He also tried to force plays into busted coverages when you can see a guy wide open 10 more yards down the field. I also think he had chances to run for the first down many times, but stood in there and forced throws that were not open.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm personally not worried about the offseason. I'm worried about squandering a 9-1 season now
Aren't those basically the same thing?

brdempsey69
11-18-2013, 11:18 AM

I don't go along with the term "squandering". Everybody knew this was a rebuilding year & the Chiefs were a work in progress. The progress went better than anyone expected, but this new regime couldn't fix everything in one off-season. So however this season winds up, at least we did see improvement over last year -- more so than what was anticipated -- and it may have over-jacked peoples expectations. Everybody needs to come back to reality & face the fact that the Chiefs Offense isn't playoff caliber. I don't buy the cliche "Defense wins championships". You have to have both Offense and Defense.

Donkeys fans may be in happy celebration & are singing praises about their Defense stopping the Chiefs Offense, but it wasn't defensive brilliance by the Donks that kept the Chiefs from scoring. It was bad play-calling, poor execution, penalties at critical times, and especially dropped passes.

This is hypothetical but, what do you suppose would have happened to the Donks Defense last night if they had gone against the Chiefs Offense from 2003 on one of its better days? That's right, the Donks Defense would have gotten their guts ripped out.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
In the spirit of Game 10 rants:

What the hell was up with sending Jamaal up the middle three times when we had a first and goal on their 2? If they didn't want to risk a pass, HOW ABOUT A DAMN BOOTLEG? Alex is mobile enough to pull that off! I was screaming at the screen for an Smith off the edge run.

brdempsey69
11-18-2013, 11:37 AM
In the spirit of Game 10 rants:

What the hell was up with sending Jamaal up the middle three times when we had a first and goal on their 2? If they didn't want to risk a pass, HOW ABOUT A DAMN BOOTLEG? Alex is mobile enough to pull that off! I was screaming at the screen for an Smith off the edge run.

BINGO !! And I'll add to that, not one spread formation which has been successful in earlier games this season down in the red zone. The play-calling last night was horrible. It wasn't Donkeys defensive brilliance that stopped the Chiefs Offense last night by any stretch of the imagination -- it was Chiefs Offensive ineptitude. The Donkeys camp should have serious concerns about their crummy Defense, but they're singing praises in happy celebration about their Defense, but it's only a matter of time that reality is going to smack them right in the face & I predict it'll happen in the post-season and the Donkeys won't be winning any SB.

Seek
11-18-2013, 11:39 AM
What if, Sherman didn't fumble. What if Avery caught his long pass. What if Bowe caught half of the ones he let hit the ground. What if Demps actually picked that one ball off and went for 6?

Look as much as the media said this team was soft with their cupcake schedule. This team was a couple of plays or inches from making a completely different game. The team and fans were humbled. They have now lost, and are not the kings. They now know they have to work on some things and know they are not invicible. They can refocus and exploit the things that worked, and work on the issues that Denver Exploited. Next time it will be at our house, with our fans. Next time, we will be more motivated and prepared.

Except next time is this week against San Diego and we need to work on beating them first.

Pro_Angler
11-18-2013, 11:43 AM
AFTER SLEEPING OFF MY DISGUST...I will say I was very happy and surprised how well smith threw the ball especially the long ball. Our recievers just are piss poor!!! We havent pressured a qb in 5 frikin games!!! they act like people are gonna fold for them!!
The punt on the 40 with 5min left down two scores was once of the worse calls ive ever seen made!!! not getting in the end zone on 1st and goal from the 2???? so many bad calls and no calls.. most everything really pist me off about the game!!! that no hold call on Bowe was the frikin icing on the cake!! then we punt?? we had kicked all but one punt into the end zone so you were only losing 20 yds if we didnt make 4th and 5!!!!!!!!!!!!! this game was absolutely winnable!!!!!!!!!!! thats what pisses me off the most!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brdempsey69
11-18-2013, 11:51 AM
^^ Absolutely, it was a winnable game and the Chiefs clearly did more to beat themselves in this game than what the Donks did to beat them.

Eydugstr
11-18-2013, 11:57 AM
What if, Sherman didn't fumble. What if Avery caught his long pass. What if Bowe caught half of the ones he let hit the ground. What if Demps actually picked that one ball off and went for 6?

Look as much as the media said this team was soft with their cupcake schedule. This team was a couple of plays or inches from making a completely different game. The team and fans were humbled. They have now lost, and are not the kings. They now know they have to work on some things and know they are not invicible. They can refocus and exploit the things that worked, and work on the issues that Denver Exploited. Next time it will be at our house, with our fans. Next time, we will be more motivated and prepared.

Except next time is this week against San Diego and we need to work on beating them first.

Dropped passes were the reason why the Chiefs didn't win this ball game. Those recievers need to be doing pass catching drills until they pass out or puke. Bowe especially has NO excuse. I see improvement and changes (our routes have been much more aggressive the past two games) but the bottom line is it's all for nothing if you can't catch the )(&%$'n ball.

The first Denver game is DONE. On to the Chargers.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 12:19 PM
BINGO !! And I'll add to that, not one spread formation which has been successful in earlier games this season down in the red zone. The play-calling last night was horrible. It wasn't Donkeys defensive brilliance that stopped the Chiefs Offense last night by any stretch of the imagination -- it was Chiefs Offensive ineptitude. The Donkeys camp should have serious concerns about their crummy Defense, but they're singing praises in happy celebration about their Defense, but it's only a matter of time that reality is going to smack them right in the face & I predict it'll happen in the post-season and the Donkeys won't be winning any SB.I would have called an Alex Smith bootleg on the second and goal. Even if unsuccessful, it would have softened the middle for the 3rd down and goal. THAT drive really should have ended in a TD and I blame the play calling at the end of it for the failure.

brdempsey69
11-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Dropped passes were the reason why the Chiefs didn't win this ball game. Those recievers need to be doing pass catching drills until they pass out or puke. Bowe especially has NO excuse. I see improvement and changes (our routes have been much more aggressive the past two games) but the bottom line is it's all for nothing if you can't catch the )(&%$'n ball.

The first Denver game is DONE. On to the Chargers.

Right on. All I've been hearing is how great Denver's defense is with Von Miller's return. Miller didn't do squat last night & the Chiefs blocked him very well. It was poor play-calling, poor execution, penalties at critical times, and especially dropped passes that stopped the Chiefs Offense, not Denver's defense. The media has been talking this dumb trash, saying "the outcome was never in doubt", but that's pure BS. It was 17-10 throughout most of the 3rd QTR and the Chiefs Offense had multiple chances to move down the field & tighten the score, but they kept shooting themselves in the foot by failing to do basic things. The penalty by Avery was just totally retarded & that was a pivotal play that the media doesn't point out.

As for SD, their Offense has been struggling as late. I believe the Chiefs Defense can hold them in check. The big question is can the Chiefs Offense learn to quit stopping themselves & start doing things that they need to to move the ball and score more points?

I would have called an Alex Smith bootleg on the second and goal. Even if unsuccessful, it would have softened the middle for the 3rd down and goal. THAT drive really should have ended in a TD and I blame the play calling at the end of it for the failure.

I'm with you there. The play calling was retarded at the end of that series & if they were going to run it at Denver like that, then why not give the 230-lb Knile Davis at least one crack at it? After all, Davis had touched the ball on two previous plays and had gotten them that 1st and goal. That's not arm-chair QBing, that's just common sense. Charles is a speed back, as is Davis, but Davis has a bit more power and that might have made a difference.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 12:22 PM
(our routes have been much more aggressive the past two games)Oops, I must have blinked and missed that.

KCRaised13
11-18-2013, 12:29 PM
I don't go along with the term "squandering". Everybody knew this was a rebuilding year & the Chiefs were a work in progress. The progress went better than anyone expected, but this new regime couldn't fix everything in one off-season. So however this season winds up, at least we did see improvement over last year -- more so than what was anticipated -- and it may have over-jacked peoples expectations. Everybody needs to come back to reality & face the fact that the Chiefs Offense isn't playoff caliber. I don't buy the cliche "Defense wins championships". You have to have both Offense and Defense.

Donkeys fans may be in happy celebration & are singing praises about their Defense stopping the Chiefs Offense, but it wasn't defensive brilliance by the Donks that kept the Chiefs from scoring. It was bad play-calling, poor execution, penalties at critical times, and especially dropped passes.

This is hypothetical but, what do you suppose would have happened to the Donks Defense last night if they had gone against the Chiefs Offense from 2003 on one of its better days? That's right, the Donks Defense would have gotten their guts ripped out.
I find it really hard to use the term "rebuilding", when your team was 9-0. Sounds "rebuilt" to me. Just my opinion

brdempsey69
11-18-2013, 12:38 PM
I find it really hard to use the term "rebuilding", when your team was 9-0. Sounds "rebuilt" to me

Sorry, but it is NOT rebuilt. Anybody can clearly see that it's still a work in progress. 9-0 is great, but that doesn't etch in stone that the Chiefs are a totally rebuilt and finished product by any stretch of the imagination. They aren't, and anyone thinking otherwise is only kidding themselves. If they were, then they probably would have won last nights game, going away.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 12:43 PM
I find it really hard to use the term "rebuilding", when your team was 9-0. Sounds "rebuilt" to me. Just my opinion
But that irony is what's sweet about this year. We ARE 9-1, but we are actually in a rebuilding process.

KCRaised13
11-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Sorry, but it is NOT rebuilt. Anybody can clearly see that it's still a work in progress. 9-0 is great, but that doesn't etch in stone that the Chiefs are a totally rebuilt and finished product by any stretch of the imagination. They aren't, and anyone thinking otherwise is only kidding themselves. If they were, then they probably would have won last nights game, going away.
Not saying to call it good as it sits. You can always build better. I'm sure Denver could build even better. You're always building. This team could finish 13-3 regular season. That sounds more like refining, than rebuilding

KCRaised13
11-18-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm not impressed by Alex Smith. He looked nervous as hell and saw on more than one occasion, when he felt pressure behind him that wasn't even there. He was panicky. What do you see as his restriction to not throwing downfield this season? No confidence in his accuracy or conservative coach play calling?
Off subject alittle but curious

doobs_05
11-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Where's that "awesome" pass rush?

WR can't catch

Alex Smith needs to read the defense better and not stare down throws

Sean smith wasn't burned....so thats good

Other corners got burnt

WHY IS KC NOT RUNNING THE BALL MORE WITH SHERMAN BLOCKING INFRONT OF JAMAAL

brdempsey69
11-18-2013, 12:57 PM
But that irony is what's sweet about this year. We ARE 9-1, but we are actually in a rebuilding process.

Not saying to call it good as it sits. You can always build better. I'm sure Denver could build even better. You're always building. This team could finish 13-3 regular season. That sounds more like refining, than rebuilding

KCRaised13,

There you have it nicely illustrated by Frankenchief. They still are rebuilding. The pieces aren't all in place yet. There's still more work to be done & one has to remember that the Chiefs will be facing the NFC West and the AFC East next year and this teams Offense is going to have to be a LOT better or it's going to be a miserable season.

doobs_05
11-18-2013, 12:59 PM
I feel like people have been saying "KC is rebuilding" for the past 9 years

Coach
11-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Nobody has mentioned how Marcus Cooper was routinely targeted and abused last night. Before the game, if you would have told me that the Chiefs would not win the turnover battle and would never touch Peyton, I would have told you that there was no way the Chiefs would win the game. And we didn't. Simple as that. If Sherman doesn't turn the ball right back over and if the Chiefs would have gotten pressure on Peyton, we would have been in the game.

Our strategy this year has been to win the field position battle by playing great defense, creating turnovers, and Colquitt pinning teams inside their 20. Our offense has stunk since week 2. Tonight the defense didn't win the turnover battle and Colquitt had his worst game this season.

KCRaised13
11-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Nobody has mentioned how Marcus Cooper was routinely targeted and abused last night. Before the game, if you would have told me that the Chiefs would not win the turnover battle and would never touch Peyton, I would have told you that there was no way the Chiefs would win the game. And we didn't. Simple as that. If Sherman doesn't turn the ball right back over and if the Chiefs would have gotten pressure on Peyton, we would have been in the game.

Our strategy this year has been to win the field position battle by playing great defense, creating turnovers, and Colquitt pinning teams inside their 20. Our offense has stunk since week 2. Tonight the defense didn't win the turnover battle and Colquitt had his worst game this season.
Ecspecially the Sherman fumble. Would've changed the whole dynamic of the game. Manning got 323 yds but he looked plenty mortal to me lastnight. Was it Berry that dropped the potential int? I forget. A couple things differently thats not out of line to expect, and this game wouldve been winnable.

Seek
11-18-2013, 01:26 PM

I don't think Cooper really played that bad of a game. Yes he got beat deap, but it was not like he was no where around to be found. Peyton just hit the mark dead on. I mean he is a 7th round, rookie not even drafted by us. Where was the safety with deep help. He was even further away! That is what the Donkies do. They make even the best corners look average.

They started picking on Shawn Smith first, then they went to cooper and then they went to Flowers and then dumped off where the OLB was supposed to cover.

As much as you saw Welker on the ground from Flowers knocking him around which to me seemed to be some cheap shots. He still made plays against Flowers to get first downs. So why would we hold Cooper to a higher standard?

Justin5772002
11-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Can anyone answer my questions about why Alex Smith can't throw a Hail Mary? I watched till the very last second just to see what would happen with Alex trying the ultimate deep ball, but he wouldn't even attemp it

brdempsey69
11-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Can anyone answer my questions about why Alex Smith can't throw a Hail Mary? I watched till the very last second just to see what would happen with Alex trying the ultimate deep ball, but he wouldn't even attemp it

Well, it could be because Alex doesn't have any receivers that can catch it if he did throw it.

Eydugstr
11-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Oops, I must have blinked and missed that.

They're much more noticeable when the reciever CATCHES THE )(%*!$!!'n ball. But yes, we've been running a lot more 10-15 yard pass plays instead of the 5-8 ones.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 02:20 PM
I feel like people have been saying "KC is rebuilding" for the past 9 years
Because we have been rebuilding. Not successfully though. I have more confidence in the current regime than in the previous two put together.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Nobody has mentioned how Marcus Cooper was routinely targeted and abused last night.
Please folks, stay off of this guy's back. HE IS A ROOKIE FOR PETE's SAKES. A converted one at that and in the biggest most pressure filled venue he's ever had to perform. Can you really blame him for being a little wide eyed and overwhelmed early? Veteran QBs test a young kid in the group all the time, and he was being tested by the big bad Peyton freaking Manning. Can you imagine the pressure his young mind was under?!

Cooper wasn't "routinely abused." He fell off the horse but kept getting back on. By the end of the game he was playing as solid as anyone in the secondary. Dude, is a keeper.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 02:33 PM
They're much more noticeable when the reciever CATCHES THE )(%*!$!!'n ball. But yes, we've been running a lot more 10-15 yard pass plays instead of the 5-8 ones.
To me, running correct routs means the receiver manages to get open, despite shortcomings in speed or size. When our receivers have to battle for every ball with two other pairs of hands it means the desired routs have not been run.

Who is our receivers coach BTW?

Eydugstr
11-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Right on. All I've been hearing is how great Denver's defense is with Von Miller's return. Miller didn't do squat last night & the Chiefs blocked him very well. It was poor play-calling, poor execution, penalties at critical times, and especially dropped passes that stopped the Chiefs Offense, not Denver's defense. The media has been talking this dumb trash, saying "the outcome was never in doubt", but that's pure BS. It was 17-10 throughout most of the 3rd QTR and the Chiefs Offense had multiple chances to move down the field & tighten the score, but they kept shooting themselves in the foot by failing to do basic things. The penalty by Avery was just totally retarded & that was a pivotal play that the media doesn't point out.

As for SD, their Offense has been struggling as late. I believe the Chiefs Defense can hold them in check. The big question is can the Chiefs Offense learn to quit stopping themselves & start doing things that they need to to move the ball and score more points?

Von Miller's play was tough to decipher. It's not that his play was bad, but it's not like it was the thing that defined the outcome of the game. I thought that Sean Phillips had more effect on the KC O-line than anyone else. Fisher and Miller had some battles going, most of them ending with Fisher keeping him in check. Fisher lost it when he did get beat, though. Regardless of what Denver's media or fans think - It was a case of KC shooting itself in the foot, NOT Denver pulling the trigger. If half of those dropped passes had been caught, different ball game altogether. Just like what happened in Buffalo. Except this time it was Avery instead of McCluster.

Eydugstr
11-18-2013, 03:08 PM
To me, running correct routs means the receiver manages to get open, despite shortcomings in speed or size. When our receivers have to battle for every ball with two other pairs of hands it means the desired routs have not been run.

Who is our receivers coach BTW?

Our "Assistant Head Coach" is also our WR Coach, David Culley. http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/coaches/david-culley/a70f22c4-da32-4fd9-a1b4-2b8c0ff0cc02

Route means path of travel - being where you're supposed to be when the ball is delivered. Getting open has more to do with playcalling vs. their playcalling, and ability (namely speed or jukes/fakes). Having to battle for a ball doesn't mean you've ran a bad route, it means their defensive playcalling is catching on to the gameplan, and their defender has the ability to stay with you.

brdempsey69
11-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Von Miller's play was tough to decipher. It's not that his play was bad, but it's not like it was the thing that defined the outcome of the game. I thought that Sean Phillips had more effect on the KC O-line than anyone else. Fisher and Miller had some battles going, most of them ending with Fisher keeping him in check. Fisher lost it when he did get beat, though. Regardless of what Denver's media or fans think - It was a case of KC shooting itself in the foot, NOT Denver pulling the trigger. If half of those dropped passes had been caught, different ball game altogether. Just like what happened in Buffalo. Except this time it was Avery instead of McCluster.

And of course, you won't see any of Denver fans making mention of that & all around the web they're talking like they won in dominating fashion from start to finish, when they didn't. Even at 24-10 late in the 3rd QTR, the game wasn't in the bag for the Donks, as that's only two plays and it not like no team has ever come from behind to overcome that. Here's a great example:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198909240phi.htm

Not saying that Alex is Joe Montana, but he has led some comeback wins before, but he can't do it on his own. The support he needed last night wasn't there.

Frankenchief
11-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Our "Assistant Head Coach" is also our WR Coach, David Culley. http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/coaches/david-culley/a70f22c4-da32-4fd9-a1b4-2b8c0ff0cc02

Route means path of travel - being where you're supposed to be when the ball is delivered. Getting open has more to do with playcalling vs. their playcalling, and ability (namely speed or jukes/fakes). Having to battle for a ball doesn't mean you've ran a bad route, it means their defensive playcalling is catching on to the gameplan, and their defender has the ability to stay with you.Running routs are subject to correct execution. If the receiver does not execute them well, then he's not getting any separation unless it's by accident.

As for WR coach, here's where I almost wish we had Todd Haley there. There's no question that he was responsible for Bowe's development. And without Haley's effect, and with the big contract, it seems D-Bowe has regressed some. I don't know if Culley is the task master Haley was.

doobs_05
11-18-2013, 03:28 PM
How many drops did KC have (real number please)

matthewschiefs
11-18-2013, 03:54 PM
How many drops did KC have (real number please)

I would like to know that as well.

The last I knew the Chiefs were 7th in the NFL in most dropped passes but that was a few weeks ago before the Bills game. We have added to our total

N TX Dave
11-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Can anyone answer my questions about why Alex Smith can't throw a Hail Mary? I watched till the very last second just to see what would happen with Alex trying the ultimate deep ball, but he wouldn't even attempt it

It takes time to let the receivers run 55 yards down field at least 5 seconds and that means the defense can not be putting pressure on in 2 seconds and that is why we do not through the ball deep, it takes time and Alex does not have that very often.

At least the sun came up again today and the world did not end when the Chiefs lost, lets go on and see what happens.

Eydugstr
11-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Please folks, stay off of this guy's back. HE IS A ROOKIE FOR PETE's SAKES. A converted one at that and in the biggest most pressure filled venue he's ever had to perform. Can you really blame him for being a little wide eyed and overwhelmed early? Veteran QBs test a young kid in the group all the time, and he was being tested by the big bad Peyton freaking Manning. Can you imagine the pressure his young mind was under?!

Cooper wasn't "routinely abused." He fell off the horse but kept getting back on. By the end of the game he was playing as solid as anyone in the secondary. Dude, is a keeper.

Agreed. He was playing well for us beforehand, showed good focus so he got the nod over Sean Smith, who is physically a more imposing player but at times a little less focused. Let's face it, Peyton Manning has burned a whole lot of DB's.

Eydugstr
11-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Running routs are subject to correct execution. If the receiver does not execute them well, then he's not getting any separation unless it's by accident.

As for WR coach, here's where I almost wish we had Todd Haley there. There's no question that he was responsible for Bowe's development. And without Haley's effect, and with the big contract, it seems D-Bowe has regressed some. I don't know if Culley is the task master Haley was.

Haley did crack the whip, when it came to recievers. Maybe with the dual responsibility of Cully's job has caused a lack of attention to the WR's, little late in the season to be working on it now, but there's still a good chunk of time. Do know from reading the stories in the KC star that early in training camp the WR spots were under Reid's microscope, and it's a big part of the reason for the Baldwin/Jenkins trade.

Whatever happened to Jenkins?

Pro_Angler
11-18-2013, 07:55 PM
We had atleast 13 drops

doobs_05
11-18-2013, 09:15 PM
The one bad thing about those drops, is tom brady has the worst drop rate with his WRs but they still find a way to win

rodu
11-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Whatever happened to Jenkins?

he's collecting a his salary, nothing more

Charles has to be up there in the drop department, amazing runner, not so great down field receiver

jap1
11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
The one bad thing about those drops, is tom brady has the worst drop rate with his WRs but they still find a way to win

Colts as well. This website keeps track of dropped passes by team. We are #5, with the Pats being #1.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2013/

Here they show the dropped passes by player. JC is tied with a bunch of other people for the 2nd most.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

Granted these are not official statsand somewhat subjective, so different websites will have different numbers.

Seek
11-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Because you have to give the receiver time to get down there other wise it is the same as a punt. The chiefs went basically five wide leaving the offensive line alone with no help from the RB or FB blocking. The pass protection breaks down and he is sitting there holding the ball ready to get killed.

Pro_Angler
11-19-2013, 11:37 AM
I really think we need a new o-coordinator and some wr's that are faster and can run better routes.

Frankenchief
11-19-2013, 12:26 PM
I really think we need a new o-coordinator and some wr's that are faster and can run better routes.
Our OC is a work in progress too. Andy seems to believe in him, so for now, I'm supporting him. BTW, he does not make the O calls. Andy does.

matthewschiefs
11-19-2013, 12:36 PM

I think the number 1 need for this offense is a REAL number 1 WR Bowe is not it. He has the talent to be it but he lets himself get taken out of games WAY WAY to often.

We have changed QBs how many times had the same issues. We have changed O linemen how many times and had the same issues. We have changed Head coaches how many times and had the same issues. We have changed OCs how many times and had the same issues. There is one spot that we haven't touched. They have alway just assumed that Bowe was the number 1 guy. Maybe it's time we address that one spot that we haven't tried to change and see if that helps the offense.

brdempsey69
11-19-2013, 12:38 PM
It's looking like everybody and their brother here is accepting the fact that the Chiefs need to focus on bringing in playmakers at WR in the off-season. There won't be any debates come draft time in May of 2014, about drafting a WR or two or three at some point in the draft.

Frankenchief
11-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Realistically we should expect to draft in the 20-25 range in the 1st. Who among the college WRs are suited for that spot? I'm so far hoping for USC's Marqise Lee. I admit though, I do not yet have extensive data on his abilities.

Any other possibilities?

brdempsey69
11-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Realistically we should expect to draft in the 20-25 range in the 1st. Who among the college WRs are suited for that spot? I'm so far hoping for USC's Marqise Lee. I admit though, I do not yet have extensive data on his abilities.

Any other possibilities?

Here is some bio on Marqise Lee, but I'm not sure whether or not he will enter the 2014 draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1851123/marqise-lee

Frankenchief
11-19-2013, 02:02 PM
I really like a good rout runner with separation ability (doesn't everybody?). But more so one that catches the ball away from his body. Those are the ones who you see on highlight reels catching balls in strides and gaining BIG yardage.

Is Marqise considered one of those? Who are some others that answer that description?

ctchiefsfan
11-19-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't follow college ball, so I won't comment on specific choices/possibilities, but I'd certainly like to see a WR or two and maybe another tight end or two. Alex is what he is...a ball control type of quarterback, but of recent he has shown a willingness to throw the ball further downfield. I don't think he much likes to, but I think that is more that he doesn't feel confident of it being caught if he throws the longer ball. I can't really blame him too much for feeling that way. When he does throw long he seems to throw high....I suspect because he is making sure that if the intended receiver doesn't catch it then nobody will. That's very much his style....above all else don't make the big mistake like an INT. I think if Alex had more confidence in the WRs he'd be more willing to throw the 12 to 25 yard passes. But that is just my opinion and I claim no special knowledge.

Justin5772002
11-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Why is everyone focused on throwing the ball downfield? Manning ripped us a new one with pick slant routes why not focus on some more if those plays I didn't see any plays from our receivers where they had space to make defenders miss after the catch it was catch and go down all game long. We need a yac WR who can separate

Justin5772002
11-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Oh, and really WTF has Avery done for us lately? Get that dude off the field. The first couple of games he didn't shine but he definately contributed but last 4-5 games he's been a ghost. Our offense cannot operate efficiently with that lack of consistency.

ctchiefsfan
11-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Why is everyone focused on throwing the ball downfield? Manning ripped us a new one with pick slant routes why not focus on some more if those plays I didn't see any plays from our receivers where they had space to make defenders miss after the catch it was catch and go down all game long. We need a yac WR who can separate

I focus on it because teams figure we can't do it and so they key on our short passing game. We need a realistic 12-25 yard pass threat to make the short passing game work. Doesn't need to become a big part of our game, but the threat needs to be there and be real.

ctchiefsfan
11-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Realistically, I think our entire receiver corps is our weakest point. Hoping Reid and Dorsey can take BIG steps to correct that next year.

jap1
11-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Im not a fan of Marqise Lee. He has been hurt for a lot of this season. And I have seen him drop a lot of passes. While watching a USC game (ive only seen maybe 2 this year), he dropped a pass in the endzone and the announcer says "well thats what you get with Marqise Lee, he makes the great catches, but he drops a lot of passes too." I want someone more consistent.

H-townChiefsFan
11-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Id love to get Mike Evans...not sure if he would last that long though - trading up to 14 or 15 to get him though would be worth it, IMHO...

matthewschiefs
11-19-2013, 04:49 PM
I focus on it because teams figure we can't do it and so they key on our short passing game. We need a realistic 12-25 yard pass threat to make the short passing game work. Doesn't need to become a big part of our game, but the threat needs to be there and be real.

To me you have to have some faith that the play is going to work

Over the past handful of games the number of downfield passes have increased. Alex was pretty off on the first few but over the last couple of games IMO he got better. Against the Bills there was that PERFECTLY thrown ball to Mccluster. Against Denver there was that throw to Avery not perfect but Avery wasn't WIDE OPEN Alex put the ball where it needed to be. There was anther to Bowe that drew a flag that Bowe could have possibly made a catch on but Bowe quit when the contact was made wanting the flag so we will never really no. Right now I don't see any reason for Reid to have much faith in going down field much. They can't refuse to try but I don't see any reason for that part of the offense to become bigger. We just don't have the guys to pull it off right now.

ctchiefsfan
11-19-2013, 07:15 PM
To me you have to have some faith that the play is going to work

Over the past handful of games the number of downfield passes have increased. Alex was pretty off on the first few but over the last couple of games IMO he got better. Against the Bills there was that PERFECTLY thrown ball to Mccluster. Against Denver there was that throw to Avery not perfect but Avery wasn't WIDE OPEN Alex put the ball where it needed to be. There was anther to Bowe that drew a flag that Bowe could have possibly made a catch on but Bowe quit when the contact was made wanting the flag so we will never really no. Right now I don't see any reason for Reid to have much faith in going down field much. They can't refuse to try but I don't see any reason for that part of the offense to become bigger. We just don't have the guys to pull it off right now.

I was speaking about the need to get some receivers that will make that part of the game work. Right now, when Alex does throw the longer balls it not accomplishing much and that is allowing other teams to key on the short passing game. It's something we REALLY need to fix but will almost certainly have to wait 'till next year.

Pro_Angler
11-19-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't know why we went away from the very successfully slant routes. Also the only time we really tried to get the ball to dmc was on deep sideline routes were you need height also..we just have the right personel on o that's for sure.