PDA

View Full Version : How far do we go in the playoffs?

Chiefster
12-16-2013, 02:14 AM
Caution! This is a no Homerism zone, realistic expectations backed up by reason only.

Discuss. :smile

Justin5772002
12-16-2013, 03:17 AM
All the way!
1. We've got the talent. We've lost 3 games by one score each 2x against the supposed Super Bowl favorite broncos. We can beat anyone all we need is Houston back healthy and our wrs to not have games like they did against the broncos and dropping passes all over the field.

2. I think Andy Reid is playing cat/mouse just toying with teams. Offensively were as healthy as we are going to be and I like where we are sitting

3. I got money riding on them and I need some freaking money ASAP

Chiefster
12-16-2013, 03:48 AM
All the way!
1. We've got the talent. We've lost 3 games by one score each 2x against the supposed Super Bowl favorite broncos. We can beat anyone all we need is Houston back healthy and our wrs to not have games like they did against the broncos and dropping passes all over the field.

2. I think Andy Reid is playing cat/mouse just toying with teams. Offensively were as healthy as we are going to be and I like where we are sitting

Sounds reasonable to me. :bananen_smilies046:

NKChiefs
12-16-2013, 06:58 AM
All the way!

+1 and that would be Awesome! :)

Seek
12-16-2013, 09:52 AM
It all depends on the defense. Can they stop what appears to be flood gates against teams with adequate quarterbacks. I think they can win the wild card play off game for the first time in year but can the man to man defense be perfect against top talent quarterbacks.

Pro_Angler
12-16-2013, 10:48 AM
IST RD. CAUSE OUR d LOOKS AWEFULL RIGHT NOW.

NJChiefs
12-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Objectively speaking, I think the odds are stacked against us going all the way as a #5 seed. I think if we had won either the Bolts game or the second Donks game, it would be a different story. However, unlike previous one and out Chiefs teams, this team is proving that it can win big on the road. Also, no one can argue any longer that we are uni-dimensional. Realistically speaking, I fully expect to see them win a wild card game. They certainly -can- go all the way, but I'm curious what the current Vegas odds are. I'm guessing maybe 15:1 ?

Justin5772002
12-16-2013, 01:48 PM
It all depends on the defense. Can they stop what appears to be flood gates against teams with adequate quarterbacks. I think they can win the wild card play off game for the first time in year but can the man to man defense be perfect against top talent quarterbacks.
The chiefs already played the 2 league leading QB threats in Rivers and Peyton Manning and we can all agree we shot ourselves in the foot all three games and still closed all those games out driving to tie/win we just couldn't pull it off. A more discipline team, and there's no stopping us.

ctchiefsfan
12-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Well.....I voted ALL THE WAY! Not because I am convinced we will--winning the Super Bowl is NOT easy--but because I KNOW we have the talent to do it.

Remember those first 9 games? We were all saying the Offense had to get a LOT better. Andy Reid said it too. MANY TIMES.

Now look at us.....Last 4 games we have put up 41.75 points per game.

Now our Defense needs to get better. They are still the ball-hawks they were in that 9 game run, but they are giving up too many yards and too many points.

It took a while for our Offense to get better, but now that same Offense is putting up the points and buying our Defense the time to figure out and correct the problems they are having. If that Defense takes the same amount of time to pull it together, then they will be back to top form right about the start of the playoffs.

Our Special Teams are AMAZING!

If we put it all together for the Playoffs, we are going to make a deep run....maybe ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

Pro_Angler
12-16-2013, 03:37 PM
I see us playing sandiego and losing or maybe Miami and losing. Both those teams are playing very good.

Pro_Angler
12-16-2013, 03:38 PM
If our d can learn to pressure the qb and we start jamming receivers we have as good a shot as any team...

ctchiefsfan
12-16-2013, 03:53 PM
If our d can learn to pressure the qb and we start jamming receivers we have as good a shot as any team...

Good points! As good as our Chiefs are, they are not an overpowering team that is going to breeze their way through the playoffs and into the Super Bowl. But if the Offense keeps putting up good numbers and the Defense gets back on track then we will have at least as good a chance as any team that makes the playoffs. The two Denver games and the San Diego game proved that. Yeah, we lost all 3 games, but we were in all all three. These Chiefs are certainly capable of playing with the "Big Boys". We are good enough to win the Super Bowl if all 3 aspects of the team brings their "A-Game". The hard part is going to be doing that all the way from the start of the playoffs. It ain't easy. But I think this is the best Chiefs team we have seen in a long long time.

doobs_05
12-16-2013, 03:56 PM
The D has not been what it once was, can't rely on an offense to out score the other offense in the playoffs..

it's always one and done until proven otherwise *crosses fingers to be the year this drought ends*

ctchiefsfan
12-16-2013, 04:24 PM
The D has not been what it once was, can't rely on an offense to out score the other offense in the playoffs..

it's always one and done until proven otherwise *crosses fingers to be the year this drought ends*

It's going to be this year. No more one and done. We're good enough and we're going to do better than that!

doobs_05
12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
It's going to be this year. No more one and done. We're good enough and we're going to do better than that!

KC is good enough, but playoffs is totally different then the regular season, Indy might be the first opponent. Adjustments and being ready for the playoffs is big.

Eydugstr
12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Don't even want to get caught up in daydreaming about the playoffs. We've still got two tough games ahead of us. Gunsights on the Colts.

Seek
12-16-2013, 04:30 PM
The chiefs already played the 2 league leading QB threats in Rivers and Peyton Manning and we can all agree we shot ourselves in the foot all three games and still closed all those games out driving to tie/win we just couldn't pull it off. A more discipline team, and there's no stopping us.

Until I see the long ball being defended, I don't stand that optomistic. Despite jumping out to a 21-7 lead at home. We blew that lead and was down by 14 before the 4th qtr with what seems to be 2 play 80 yard TD drives. At no point in time, did I actually feel like we controlled the donkies despite being within 7 points to tying up the game. I was afraid we would score with 2 minutes left to lose the game.

We were just 4 points away from blowing a 21-3 lead against the Raiders against a 4th string QB until the Raiders Brass thought that his 4-4 drive to start the half was too simple so they tried tricking us by bringing in Pryor and running read options and let their offense momentum die. If it wasn't for the Raiders getting in their own way and fumbling or throwing stupid passes, we were looking at an upset in the worste way. That kind of crap won't benefit us in the play offs.

matthewschiefs
12-16-2013, 04:37 PM
I'll vote after the Colts game I want to see them play a possible team they would face in the playoffs first

Justin5772002
12-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Good points! As good as our Chiefs are, they are not an overpowering team that is going to breeze their way through the playoffs and into the Super Bowl. But if the Offense keeps putting up good numbers and the Defense gets back on track then we will have at least as good a chance as any team that makes the playoffs. The two Denver games and the San Diego game proved that. Yeah, we lost all 3 games, but we were in all all three. These Chiefs are certainly capable of playing with the "Big Boys". We are good enough to win the Super Bowl if all 3 aspects of the team brings their "A-Game". The hard part is going to be doing that all the way from the start of the playoffs. It ain't easy. But I think this is the best Chiefs team we have seen in a long long time.

its the Playoffs there's not a single team that will breeze their way into the Super Bowl it's about who wants it more and I sure feel confident that Andy Reid is itching pretty badly. The team will fight very hard to scratch Andy's itch.

Chiefster
12-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Don't even want to get caught up in daydreaming about the playoffs. We've still got two tough games ahead of us. Gunsights on the Colts.

I agree that the team needs to be focused on the next week's opponent over the remainder of the regular season, can't cross any bridges until we get to them. However, for purposes of discussion here, since we are already in the playoffs regardless of the regular season's outcomes, I posed the question in the original post.

Seek
12-17-2013, 08:23 AM
I question the Chiefs game plan this week. As it stands now, the Colts are the projected 4th seed making the Colts the team we play. Do you want to really show all our cards this week when the game really isn't that important, unless you think the Donkies will lose to the Texans or Raiders. The Chiefs may treat this game like a pre-season game.

Justin5772002
12-17-2013, 10:32 AM
I question the Chiefs game plan this week. As it stands now, the Colts are the projected 4th seed making the Colts the team we play. Do you want to really show all our cards this week when the game really isn't that important, unless you think the Donkies will lose to the Texans or Raiders. The Chiefs may treat this game like a pre-season game.

Dennis Allen HC of the raiders job is on the line there in Oakland maybe they fight for him and try to give Denver fits in the black hole. Stranger things have happened

Justin5772002
12-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Personally I think home field advantage against the donks is pivotal! That making Manning that much slower off the snap is very much needed in our pass rush against them. Manning getting rid of the ball 2-3 seconds after he snaps it is too quick to not have every advantage we can get. All it takes is 2 more wins and a Denver loss. WE ARE SO FLIPPING CLOSE!

brdempsey69
12-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Personally I think home field advantage against the donks is pivotal! That making Manning that much slower off the snap is very much needed in our pass rush against them. Manning getting rid of the ball 2-3 seconds after he snaps it is too quick to not have every advantage we can get. All it takes is 2 more wins and a Denver loss. WE ARE SO FLIPPING CLOSE!

I don't think so. The Chiefs Defense played better in Denver than they did in KC against the Donkeys. Homefield has never been an advantage to the Chiefs in the post-season, EVER. I want a 3rd crack at the Donkeys on their field because nothing would be more satisfying than to to see the Chiefs knock them out of the post-season on their turf. Besides, the Chiefs have been one of the best road teams in football this year. They can win on the road in the post-season & I don't believe the Donkeys are going to lose their last two games to the Texans or Raiders.

Seek
12-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Dennis Allen HC of the raiders job is on the line there in Oakland maybe they fight for him and try to give Denver fits in the black hole. Stranger things have happened

I believe our chances of losing to Indy and San Diego are much greater than Denver losing to the Texans and Raiders. If our defense can not stop the go routes both Indy and San Diego will challenge us.

ctchiefsfan
12-17-2013, 01:43 PM

This question is truly a chess match. A tough decision to make. Very good arguments for both taking it easy against the colts and saving some "tricks" and resting some of our starters for the playoffs but also good arguments for trying to win out and go into the playoffs on a tear. If it were my choice I'd probably go for the win as I am a big believer in needing momentum going into the playoffs. But I am glad I don't have to make this decision.

I'm not sure you are wrong, but I don't agree. I think these Chiefs simply will not lose to the donkeys 3 times this year. This team simply WILL NOT LET THAT HAPPEN. Of course that is only my opinion.

You are so right. The donkeys will beat the Texans. But their winning against the raiders in oakland is far from a certainty.

That is why the decision about how to play against the colts this week is so tough.

Isawa_mo
12-18-2013, 08:34 AM
I see us playing sandiego and losing or maybe Miami and losing. Both those teams are playing very good.

Well, thats great then! You must have the Chiefs playing them here in a Championship game. That would be the only way the Chiefs will play either of those teams if they are the Sixth wild card.

TopekaRoy
12-18-2013, 02:56 PM
I voted AFC Championship. I think we beat the Colts (4th seed) and finally beat the Broncos (1st seed) on a very cold and windy day at Mile High ... I mean Invesco ... I mean Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium. (I think that's what they are calling it this year!) I also think the Pats (2nd seed) advance to the AFCCG. I actually believe the Chiefs are better than New England and would beat them at Arrowhead or at a neutral site, but it's very hard to beat the Pats in Foxboro, especially when the refs will be giving Brady all the breaks. Add in the Pats playoff experience and the fact that very few of these Chiefs have any playoff experience (Smith certainly does) and I think penalties and dropped passes will get the better of us on the road.

That's assuming the Broncos win out and get the one seed but their last 2 games will both be in warm good-weather environments so I don't see them losing again. They should blow out the Texans and win a tough, close game at O.co. The Raiders did score 31 against us even though they turned the ball over 7 times, so I think there is a chance that they could play the spoiler role and upset the Broncos, but I'm not getting my hopes up. If we do get the one seed, then I think we go to the Super Bowl and face the Seahawks.

After scoring 45 and 56 in our last two games the Chiefs are now ranked 3rd in points per game (28.5) and the Pats are ranked 6th (26 ppg). The Chiefs are 4th in points allowed (18.2) and the Pats are only tied for 10th with 22.2 papg, so on paper it looks like we would have a good chance against them, but I don't think the NFL will allow the Chiefs to eliminate both Manning and Brady in the playoffs. A Seattle/Kansas City Super Bowl would hurt the ratings and most people would only be watching the game for the great commercials. I'm not counting us out, but I would say right now we have a 35-40% chance of getting to the Super Bowl, and considering that we were 2-14 last year and will probably be even better next year, I think that is awesome!

ctchiefsfan
12-18-2013, 05:59 PM
I voted AFC Championship. I think we beat the Colts (4th seed) and finally beat the Broncos (1st seed) on a very cold and windy day at Mile High ... I mean Invesco ... I mean Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium. (I think that's what they are calling it this year!) I also think the Pats (2nd seed) advance to the AFCCG. I actually believe the Chiefs are better than New England and would beat them at Arrowhead or at a neutral site, but it's very hard to beat the Pats in Foxboro, especially when the refs will be giving Brady all the breaks. Add in the Pats playoff experience and the fact that very few of these Chiefs have any playoff experience (Smith certainly does) and I think penalties and dropped passes will get the better of us on the road.

That's assuming the Broncos win out and get the one seed but their last 2 games will both be in warm good-weather environments so I don't see them losing again. They should blow out the Texans and win a tough, close game at O.co. The Raiders did score 31 against us even though they turned the ball over 7 times, so I think there is a chance that they could play the spoiler role and upset the Broncos, but I'm not getting my hopes up. If we do get the one seed, then I think we go to the Super Bowl and face the Seahawks.

After scoring 45 and 56 in our last two games the Chiefs are now ranked 3rd in points per game (28.5) and the Pats are ranked 6th (26 ppg). The Chiefs are 4th in points allowed (18.2) and the Pats are only tied for 10th with 22.2 papg, so on paper it looks like we would have a good chance against them, but I don't think the NFL will allow the Chiefs to eliminate both Manning and Brady in the playoffs. A Seattle/Kansas City Super Bowl would hurt the ratings and most people would only be watching the game for the great commercials. I'm not counting us out, but I would say right now we have a 35-40% chance of getting to the Super Bowl, and considering that we were 2-14 last year and will probably be even better next year, I think that is awesome!

Roy.....You make a fine, logical and well reasoned argument for your case. But I believe you are incorrect.

IF our Chiefs can get to the AFC Championship, they will win in a blowout. As much as the Zebras and the NFL LOVE PM and Brady, the "worst to first" thing is a once in a century type deal. If we make it to the AFC Championship game the Zebras will be "gently told" that a Chiefs win would be a good thing. PM and Brady have next year. There will be no "2-14 to the Super Bowl" turnaround next year. The NFL once everything is said and done is "show business" and 2-14 to the Super Bowl is high drama. IF we get to the AFC Championship game we will win. And believe it or not, we won't even need some zebra help to do it. But if we need it, it will be there. Drama=media=TV viewership. If we make it to the AFC Championship, the NFL will REALLY want us to make the Superbowl. But we won't need their help. We'll git-r-done all by ourselves.

Seattle will be tough though......

doobs_05
12-18-2013, 07:08 PM
sometimes i dont know if you guys are being serious about the refs helping and being told to do something, or just joking around

In an NFL thread that is not on a football site (MMA Forum), a lot of the people on their want to see the broncos vs seahawks in the super bowl. The only way the chiefs would bring in big ratings for the super bowl would be if they played the 49ers or Philly (Alex vs his old team or Andy vs his old team)

I don't think i've ever seen an NFL game officiated as bad as the 2002 WCF of Lakers vs Kings game 6

KristofLaw
12-18-2013, 08:18 PM
In one of my pre-season goof around prediction things I sometimes do, I chose the Chiefs to go 12-4-0 and lose in the AFC title game to the Donkeys after they knocked out the Patriots for them. Posted it somewhere too. That would suck losing to them a third time.

ctchiefsfan
12-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Won't happen.. If we get a third shot at those double-damned donkeys we will roll them so hard they won't know what hit them.

TopekaRoy
12-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Roy.....You make a fine, logical and well reasoned argument for your case. But I believe you are incorrect.

IF our Chiefs can get to the AFC Championship, they will win in a blowout. As much as the Zebras and the NFL LOVE PM and Brady, the "worst to first" thing is a once in a century type deal. If we make it to the AFC Championship game the Zebras will be "gently told" that a Chiefs win would be a good thing. PM and Brady have next year. There will be no "2-14 to the Super Bowl" turnaround next year. The NFL once everything is said and done is "show business" and 2-14 to the Super Bowl is high drama. IF we get to the AFC Championship game we will win. And believe it or not, we won't even need some zebra help to do it. But if we need it, it will be there. Drama=media=TV viewership. If we make it to the AFC Championship, the NFL will REALLY want us to make the Superbowl. But we won't need their help. We'll git-r-done all by ourselves.

Seattle will be tough though......

And you make an excellent counterpoint! I do believe the Chiefs have the talent to go all the way if the defense is healthy and they execute.

I hope you are right.

TopekaRoy
12-19-2013, 10:49 AM
sometimes i dont know if you guys are being serious about the refs helping and being told to do something, or just joking around

In an NFL thread that is not on a football site (MMA Forum), a lot of the people on their want to see the broncos vs seahawks in the super bowl. The only way the chiefs would bring in big ratings for the super bowl would be if they played the 49ers or Philly (Alex vs his old team or Andy vs his old team)

I don't think i've ever seen an NFL game officiated as bad as the 2002 WCF of Lakers vs Kings game 6

Doobs, I don't believe that the refs are actually told to officiate a game unfairly. But i do think that refs are fans, just like everybody else and they have a tendency to let their personal biases toward certain players or teams influence them when they make "judgment calls" like pass interference and personal fouls. Players with a reputation for playing "dirty" like Ndamakong Suh, for example, are more likely to get called for questionable hits. Of course he is also more likely to make a questionable hit so it's kind of a "chicken and egg" thing. Great receivers like Tony Gonzalez and Brandon Marshall tend to get away with pushing off a defender to get separation on a catch, while lesser receivers will get called for offensive pass interference.

It's not just in football, either. You see it all the time in basketball with players like Jordan and Lebron getting the breaks and to a lesser extent in baseball regarding balls and strikes.

It's part of the "human element" and it is impossible for any official to make completely unbiased calls on every single play. The only remedy is to become an elite player or an elite team so that the human element works in your favor. That is not impossible to do for the Chiefs just because they are in a small market. The Packers, The Rams ("greatest show on turf") and the Montana led 49ers have all done it before. But in the eyes of the national media, the Chiefs just aren't quite there, yet.

TopekaRoy
12-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Chiefster, you started this poll thread and then you copped out with the "debil" option!?

That's weak, dude. :smile

ctchiefsfan
12-19-2013, 12:23 PM
And you make an excellent counterpoint! I do believe the Chiefs have the talent to go all the way if the defense is healthy and they execute.

I hope you are right.

Thank you Roy. I realizer there is a bit of the homer in me coming out in some of the things I say, but I do honestly believe that the biggest hurdle between our Chiefs and the Super Bowl is getting the first playoff win. If we can get that first win I think we have an exceptionally good chance of making the Super Bowl.

Chiefster
12-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Chiefster, you started this poll thread and then you copped out with the "debil" option!?

That's weak, dude. :smile

Just being honest man! :lol:

We haven't been in this position with this kind of regular season record since Vermeil was coach, so it is difficult for me to intelligently speak of our chances in this years post season.

TopekaRoy
12-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Just being honest man! :lol:

We haven't been in this position with this kind of regular season record since Vermeil was coach, so it is difficult for me to intelligently speak of our chances in this years post season.

Nope. Sorry, that's not good enough. C'mon, man, go out on a limb and take a stand. You watch the games. What is your gut instinct, right now, as to how far you think they can go? It's okay if you turn out to be wrong. Give it your best guess! :SmokinBanana:

Chiefster
12-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Nope. Sorry, that's not good enough. C'mon, man, go out on a limb and take a stand. You watch the games. What is your gut instinct, right now, as to how far you think they can go? It's okay if you turn out to be wrong. Give it your best guess! :SmokinBanana:

Sorry dude! I've already voted. However, I think it is reasonable to expect, at least, a first round win and that is as close to a prediction as you will bring me to. :D

ctchiefsfan
12-19-2013, 02:09 PM
That first playoff game is going to be the tough one. Kind of like getting a big rock rolling down hill. Hard to get it moving, but damn near impossible to stop once it starts rolling.

TopekaRoy
12-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Sorry dude! I've already voted. However, I think it is reasonable to expect, at least, a first round win and that is as close to a prediction as you will bring me to. :D

Alright, fair enough.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-71-n2TwTdCw/UZf7XS8NETI/AAAAAAAAEL8/9o6T79zvVts/s1600/scaredy+cat.jpg

ctchiefsfan
12-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Don't let up do you Roy!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

TopekaRoy
12-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Don't let up do you Roy!!!! HAHAHAHAHA
:lol:
http://www.terroirist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/who-me.jpg

Chiefster
12-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Alright, fair enough.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-71-n2TwTdCw/UZf7XS8NETI/AAAAAAAAEL8/9o6T79zvVts/s1600/scaredy+cat.jpg

:lol: Awe, ain't I cute?

Chiefster
12-22-2013, 04:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_rKWdH-ox8

chiefnut
12-22-2013, 05:09 PM
i am afraid after todays loss i truly believe we will not make it past the first round....and neither will denver. neither of us have proven that we can beat good teams no less a really good team. denver couldn't beat the CHIEFS w/o all of our mistakes, and we can't stopo making them even against bad teams like the raiders.

brdempsey69
12-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Perspective, people....PERSPECTIVE. Each week and each game is a different entity. What happened today doesn't mean jack-$h!t as far as what may happen in the post-season. Just ask the 2011 Giants team about that or the 15-1 Packers team that the Giants so easily dismantled up in GB in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

jap1
12-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Do think we have a good chance of getting at least one game in the playoffs, but the reality is that we have not put together a full game against good competition. We have the 4th worst strength of victory in the LEAGUE (strength of victory is the record of the opponents that we beat). The only teams with a worse SOV are nowhere near playoff contention. There is a large disparity in our strength of schedule compared to strength of victory, more so than any team near playoff contention. To me, this means our performance against good teams has been poor.

Does that mean we are going to lose? No. But it does mean we need to step it up if we want to go anywhere in the playoffs. It also doesn't help that we haven't had Houston for a lot of the games against good competition.

Chiefster
12-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Perspective, people....PERSPECTIVE. Each week and each game is a different entity. What happened today doesn't mean jack-$h!t as far as what may happen in the post-season. Just ask the 2011 Giants team about that or the 15-1 Packers team that the Giants so easily dismantled up in GB in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

All true, but to date the perspective has been one of ineffectiveness against playoff caliber teams, and until we can prove otherwise, I fear, that will remain the perspective. Please don't get me wrong, Reid has the team going in the right direction bringing us from the bottom of the basement to the playoffs. No one believed at the start of the season that we would be anywhere near the position we are now, but I think the 9-0 start somewhat skewed realistic expectations and the only thing that will give those kinds of expectations legitimacy now will be that first round win. I hope the Chiefs can bring that expectation to fruition, but I am expecting it less now than I did a week ago. That's just me though.

rodu
12-22-2013, 07:11 PM
I can see us winning a game, maybe two, but no further than the AFc champ game. We're not there yet