PDA

View Full Version : Lost all respect for Marty Schottenheimer

brdempsey69
12-18-2013, 02:04 PM
At NFL.com Marty is saying that there is no better coach in the NFL than Mike Shanahan. Is he stupid or blind or both? You can't convince me that Shanaturd is better than Andy Reid or Bill Belichick or Mike McCarthy or Jim or John Harbaugh.

Of course Marty had made the stupid statement that Elway was the best QB ever and this after having had Joe Montana play for him for 2 seasons. What a stupid braindead S.O.B. to even suggest something as stupid and false as that.

I can't speak for anybody else, but to me, Marty has lost all credibility with those stupid statements & it eliminates any mystery as to why he was such a post-season loser. He was too braindead to get his team ready to play big games.

Chiefster
12-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I could, honestly, care less what he thinks bud.

doobs_05
12-18-2013, 02:21 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7YCZCgSDSuo/TOiNoqIod4I/AAAAAAAAAHI/c8VsztTLXM4/s1600/big-lebowski.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=_0aiXVLkMxw94M&tbnid=b8US83RKZj5uQM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Forwells*******.blogspot.com%2F201 0%2F11%2Fis-ottawa-citizen-undermining-authority.html&ei=CvWxUvruGaibygGPhIHYBA&bvm=bv.58187178,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNHiBHYwZbQFIQ7bQB-puYkdeyKz_w&ust=1387480576922270) it's his opinion

elway beat him every chance he got, and let's be real, KC fans hate elway, but in no way does that degrade elway from behing one of the best. dude went to 5 super bowls. He coached montana for a couple years but saw elway all the damn time. The guy is not going to be loyal to one team, he coached other teams.

need to drop your homer-ism once in awhile.

brdempsey69
12-18-2013, 02:21 PM
I could, honestly, care less what he thinks bud.

It's sad to see it come to this after 10 years as the Chiefs coach. And sadder that he gave that 1997 playoff game to Denver, like he did.

doobs_05
12-18-2013, 02:24 PM
It's sad to see it come to this after 10 years as the Chiefs coach. And sadder that he gave that 1997 playoff game to Denver, like he did.

http://supernaturalsnark.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/michael-jordan-laughing.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=xSd9Yd-qdsIQLM&tbnid=AqHYrG_QW2_vsM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupernaturalsnark.wordpress.com%2 F2013%2F03%2F24%2Fsnarkview-8x17-in-which-cas-is-needed-but-free-to-go-once-hes-made-deans-face-pretty-again%2F&ei=UfaxUo3nGITuyAHFlID4DQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNEOFu0HYOOvICAjWFtR1cNpkBmuNg&ust=1387481033812232)

Are you really saying "Marty let elway win" and linking this quote to the reason why you believe he did?

It's sad to see that after the 10 years marty gave this team (and probably being the 2nd most succeful coach in chiefs history), you're dropping him like a bad habbit

ctchiefsfan
12-18-2013, 06:37 PM
brdempsey......

Go a little easy on Marty. He's getting old and nobody really gives a damn what he says anymore. So he says outrageous things in the vague hope that somebody somewhere will actually notice. We had some fun times with Marty as coach. Some bad times too. Just like with Hank Stram. Thank Marty for the good times. Try to forget the bad times. And remember....he is UTTERLY irrelevant now. Remember.....Marty means absolutely no more today than some drunk raiders fan talking smack.

Thanks for the good times Marty, but to tell you the truth, you are already forgotten. Our Chiefs have Super Bowls to WIN!!!!!

Eydugstr
12-18-2013, 07:01 PM
I've read his book "Martyball". This is just Marty's way of being understanding of what Shanahan is going through with the front office of the Redskins, and giving a word of support.

The problem is (this is covered in the book) that Snyder has a ton of business people that come from other trades that were brought on board to help run the redskins, few of which understood pro football. They bent Snyder's ear sideways, and because they were making him money in other venues, he was compelled to listen.

According to the book in a story related by Carl Petersen, during a 'skins/Chiefs game one of these guys approached CP complaining about Schottenheimer, asking him "How could you stand that SOB for all those years ?!?..." Carl ripped into his hind end, telling him working with Marty was some of the best years he'd ever had.

Marty might also be comparing the Shanahan/RGIII situation to the situation in DC where he was stuck with Jeff George. If that's the case...think he's off base there. But there's no doubt in my mind that Marty and JG mixed like oil & water. JG was the type of QB that would throw for 4000+ yards in a season, ton of INTs, but have a 4-12 and think he was hot stuff. That's just NOT Marty's type of QB. But RGIII is not JG.

#58ChiefsFan
12-18-2013, 08:26 PM
I've read his book "Martyball". This is just Marty's way of being understanding of what Shanahan is going through with the front office of the Redskins, and giving a word of support.

The problem is (this is covered in the book) that Snyder has a ton of business people that come from other trades that were brought on board to help run the redskins, few of which understood pro football. They bent Snyder's ear sideways, and because they were making him money in other venues, he was compelled to listen.

According to the book in a story related by Carl Petersen, during a 'skins/Chiefs game one of these guys approached CP complaining about Schottenheimer, asking him "How could you stand that SOB for all those years ?!?..." Carl ripped into his hind end, telling him working with Marty was some of the best years he'd ever had.

Marty might also be comparing the Shanahan/RGIII situation to the situation in DC where he was stuck with Jeff George. If that's the case...think he's off base there. But there's no doubt in my mind that Marty and JG mixed like oil & water. JG was the type of QB that would throw for 4000+ yards in a season, ton of INTs, but have a 4-12 and think he was hot stuff. That's just NOT Marty's type of QB. But RGIII is not JG.

Great post.

brdempsey69
12-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Sorry gentleman, but I'm not going to give him a pass for the stupid stunt he pulled in the '97 playoff game. He knew he was crippling his team by letting Grbac play that whole game and not letting Gannon play. He was without excuse.

If he had said regarding Elway to the effect "Elway played great against us & beat us many times", then that would have been one thing. But to make the stupid statement that Elway was the best ever -- sorry it just proves the man can't be thinking rationally. Did he not see SB 24? At least John Madden watched the careers of both Montana and Elway and can give a more diplomatic perspective than Marty, and Madden calls Montana the best ever.

Those times that he was coach were only good at the beginning and then went sour very quickly because you knew he was never going to bring home the Lombardi. For the most part, he was victimized by bad luck, but not in '97 -- that's where he blatantly shot himself in the foot and I don't believe for one second that Hank Stram, Dick Vermeil, or Andy Reid would have benched Gannon for that playoff game.

matthewschiefs
12-18-2013, 10:16 PM
http://supernaturalsnark.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/michael-jordan-laughing.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=xSd9Yd-qdsIQLM&tbnid=AqHYrG_QW2_vsM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupernaturalsnark.wordpress.com%2 F2013%2F03%2F24%2Fsnarkview-8x17-in-which-cas-is-needed-but-free-to-go-once-hes-made-deans-face-pretty-again%2F&ei=UfaxUo3nGITuyAHFlID4DQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNEOFu0HYOOvICAjWFtR1cNpkBmuNg&ust=1387481033812232)

Are you really saying "Marty let elway win" and linking this quote to the reason why you believe he did?

It's sad to see that after the 10 years marty gave this team (and probably being the 2nd most succeful coach in chiefs history), you're dropping him like a bad habbit

I think he might be talking about the choice to play Grbac or Gannon. I'm still a tad upset about that one

brdempsey69
12-18-2013, 10:22 PM
I think he might be talking about the choice to play Grbac or Gannon. I'm still a tad upset about that one

You can't talk logic to him, Matt. It's obvious he was still swimming in his daddy's sac when that game was played and when that season was played. He doesn't have a clue & is willing to eat any BS that comes from the Donkeys camp like a kid eating mashed pears on a Thomas-The-Train spoon.

ctchiefsfan
12-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Y'know brdempsey....I'm a sentimental old fool and like many here a Chiefs fan for a long time. I've no argument for anything you say, but I still remember the announcers saying we had the most playoff appearances of any team in something like 10-15 years. Yes, it all went sour eventually, but I won't forget the good times with Marty as coach. Just like I won't forget the good times with Hank Stram as coach.

But let me be clear. I think Andy Reid is the best coach we've had since DV and I expect Reid is going to surpass DV pretty quick. Reid is building a team that will soon challenge the splats for the title of AFC Dynasty. But even after we win 4 Super Bowls in 10 years, I will not forget Stram, Marty and DV. As a fan/homer, I'm greatful to every coach that has brought us some good times.

matthewschiefs
12-18-2013, 11:51 PM
You can't talk logic to him, Matt. It's obvious he was still swimming in his daddy's sac when that game was played and when that season was played. He doesn't have a clue & is willing to eat any BS that comes from the Donkeys camp like a kid eating mashed pears on a Thomas-The-Train spoon.

Aww I don't think Doobs is bad at all. I think he's one that wants to see a playoff win before he will get excited. Lets face it this team has been a very frustrating team to root for. The most frustrating for a LONG time. They have been so close only to blow it and had years like last years. That's going to lead to a lot of frustration with the fan base that isn't going to be excited as easy as some. I'm not one of those but I understand their feelings. If this team wins a playoff game this year I'm sure doobs will be thrilled just like the rest of us.

ctchiefsfan
12-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Aww I don't think Doobs is bad at all. I think he's one that wants to see a playoff win before he will get excited. Lets face it this team has been a very frustrating team to root for. The most frustrating for a LONG time. They have been so close only to blow it and had years like last years. That's going to lead to a lot of frustration with the fan base that isn't going to be excited as easy as some. I'm not one of those but I understand their feelings. If this team wins a playoff game this year I'm sure doobs will be thrilled just like the rest of us.

Well said. Some of us are like that dog that has been beat too much. But all we need is a playoff win and our faith will come back. There are no bandwagoners on this board. The guys still here are honest to god no BS, Chiefs fans. Best fans in the world.

tornadospotter
12-19-2013, 01:30 AM
At NFL.com Marty is saying that there is no better coach in the NFL than Mike Shanahan. Is he stupid or blind or both? You can't convince me that Shanaturd is better than Andy Reid or Bill Belichick or Mike McCarthy or Jim or John Harbaugh.

Of course Marty had made the stupid statement that Elway was the best QB ever and this after having had Joe Montana play for him for 2 seasons. What a stupid braindead S.O.B. to even suggest something as stupid and false as that.

I can't speak for anybody else, but to me, Marty has lost all credibility with those stupid statements & it eliminates any mystery as to why he was such a post-season loser. He was too braindead to get his team ready to play big games.

Much as I hate to say it, Shanny is a good coach. He did produce results. Marty will never loss credibility with me. He help create the Chiefs to where we are now. He coach a franchise that had a empty arrowhead, to what it is today! Arrowhead!!!!!!!!!! I have much respect and love to Marty! I understand what he started with, and witness where we went from there.

Eydugstr
12-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Sorry gentleman, but I'm not going to give him a pass for the stupid stunt he pulled in the '97 playoff game. He knew he was crippling his team by letting Grbac play that whole game and not letting Gannon play. He was without excuse.

If he had said regarding Elway to the effect "Elway played great against us & beat us many times", then that would have been one thing. But to make the stupid statement that Elway was the best ever -- sorry it just proves the man can't be thinking rationally. Did he not see SB 24? At least John Madden watched the careers of both Montana and Elway and can give a more diplomatic perspective than Marty, and Madden calls Montana the best ever.

Those times that he was coach were only good at the beginning and then went sour very quickly because you knew he was never going to bring home the Lombardi. For the most part, he was victimized by bad luck, but not in '97 -- that's where he blatantly shot himself in the foot and I don't believe for one second that Hank Stram, Dick Vermeil, or Andy Reid would have benched Gannon for that playoff game.

Actually in his book he does praise Montana a great deal, and says that the best shot he had at winning a SB was in '93 & '94, because he had a HOF QB.

He must've been off his meds to say that Elway was the best ever, but Marty historically has been pretty kind to the people he struggled against. So that's why I'm dismissing it.

doobs_05
12-19-2013, 02:19 PM

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

Got me there. I guess my 11 year old self wouldn't remember games like that. In the end, you'll never know if gannon would of led the team to Victory and even then a super bowl victory. Stuff happens and you move on to the next one. But go ahead, keep calling me a denver fan because i don't follow the "every team in the afc west is trash and cheat and get away with everything". It's a sport, grown men playing a game, not grown men fighting for my right to something.

doobs_05
12-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Well said. Some of us are like that dog that has been beat too much. But all we need is a playoff win and our faith will come back. There are no bandwagoners on this board. The guys still here are honest to god no BS, Chiefs fans. Best fans in the world.

http://blogdailyherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/3879-animated_gif-chuck_norris-dodgeball-thumbs_up.gif

ctchiefsfan
12-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Y'know....we're all Chiefs fans. And I think that must be tougher for some of the 40 and under fans than it is for the 55+ guys. Us older guys remember two Super Bowl appearances, a Super Bowl WIN and we remember the announcers and even the New York Times speaking of the Chiefs with a certain amount of AWE! All the younger guys remember is "One and Done, One and Done, One and Done". As hard as that has been for us older guys, it has to be even harder for the younger guys. I have a HUGE amount of respect for guys that have remained Chiefs fans through so very many painful years. The best years they ever have known are the Marty years (especially the Montana years) but they have never had the the memories us old farts have.

Hats off to the younger fans that have stayed true to our Chiefs. They have brass balls and loyalty made of titanium.

It's time for our Chiefs and Andy Reid to get out there and start rewarding these younger fans for their loyalty. And I am honestly convinced that they are going to make at least a good start on that this year.

doobs_05
12-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Y'know....we're all Chiefs fans. And I think that must be tougher for some of the 40 and under fans than it is for the 55+ guys. Us older guys remember two Super Bowl appearances, a Super Bowl WIN and we remember the announcers and even the New York Times speaking of the Chiefs with a certain amount of AWE! All the younger guys remember is "One and Done, One and Done, One and Done". As hard as that has been for us older guys, it has to be even harder for the younger guys. I have a HUGE amount of respect for guys that have remained Chiefs fans through so very many painful years. The best years they ever have known are the Marty years (especially the Montana years) but they have never had the the memories us old farts have.

Hats off to the younger fans that have stayed true to our Chiefs. They have brass balls and loyalty made of titanium.

It's time for our Chiefs and Andy Reid to get out there and start rewarding these younger fans for their loyalty. And I am honestly convinced that they are going to make at least a good start on that this year.

Older fans got to see the ! to a season (super bowl win), but you did have to deal with the 70's and 80's. I joked with my brother saying our dad picked KC just to troll us kids so we followed a bad team and suffered lol, but you pick a team and you stick with it, i'm not about switching teams (unless, the team is doing stupid things in management that you have to stop watching and boycott to get a message through and once they fix it you come back, 2 friends did that with miami marlins and the houston astros this year). You put your big boy pants on, sit down and watch the game. Sooner or later they'll have to win one............unless you're the chicago cubs....that isn't happening lol j/k

Eydugstr
12-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Agreed 100%. Bonus points if they started being fans during the Pioli or Herm Edwards years and still stuck around.

ctchiefsfan
12-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Agreed 100%. Bonus points if they started being fans during the Pioli or Herm Edwards years and still stuck around.

Could any new fan really survive that? That was worse than the late '70s and early '80s.

Eydugstr
12-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Could any new fan really survive that? That was worse than the late '70s and early '80s.

Not sure if it was worse (Fans back then dealt with it for a bigger number of years.) but I'm sure if they bumped into a younger fan during the Edwards/Pioli years, they could at least relate.

newfiechieffan
12-20-2013, 11:07 PM
This is my first post. I've been a chiefs fan since '89 and from an island (
Newfoundland, Canada) in the North Atlantic Ocean. I was 15 and loved watching okoye run up the gut. Folks, the '90's were a fantastic time to be cheering for the chiefs. Martyball was a big part of it and I, for one, am thankful for such a productive team to cheer for year after year. Yes, we fell short each year, but we always walked into the next season we high expectations. That, folks, was better than most fans get to experience in a lifetime. Rock on Marty.

ctchiefsfan
12-20-2013, 11:12 PM
WELCOME NEWFIE!!!!!!

Glad you enjoyed the Marty years. In a lot of ways they were GREAT! In a lot of ways they just flat sucked. The Marty years were the ULTIMATE case of "blue balls".

Glad you've hung in there with our Chiefs! A lot of good years coming. Gonna be FUN being a Chiefs fan again!!!!!

matthewschiefs
12-21-2013, 02:05 AM
I was a kid during the Marty years 11 years old in 95 when I really started getting into the Chiefs. I loved Marty until that Gannon Grbac thing. Then I hated him. Now I'm older and after Herm I have a lot of respect for Marty. Even more after Romeo last year. Those are what horrible head coaches look like. Marty wasn't as bad as some fans think. He just made one REALLY bad choice at the QB spot. One that the team really never recovered from until Trent Green was brought in.

JPPT1974
12-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Well that is his opinion and that he is entitled to it. But really liked the guy a lot. Both on and off the field! Hate it that he never, won a Super Bowl or was in it.

Eydugstr
12-21-2013, 11:03 PM
This is my first post. I've been a chiefs fan since '89 and from an island (
Newfoundland, Canada) in the North Atlantic Ocean. I was 15 and loved watching okoye run up the gut. Folks, the '90's were a fantastic time to be cheering for the chiefs. Martyball was a big part of it and I, for one, am thankful for such a productive team to cheer for year after year. Yes, we fell short each year, but we always walked into the next season we high expectations. That, folks, was better than most fans get to experience in a lifetime. Rock on Marty.

Welcome to the forum, newfie !

Justin5772002
12-22-2013, 12:17 AM
I was a kid during the Marty years 11 years old in 95 when I really started getting into the Chiefs. I loved Marty until that Gannon Grbac thing. Then I hated him. Now I'm older and after Herm I have a lot of respect for Marty. Even more after Romeo last year. Those are what horrible head coaches look like. Marty wasn't as bad as some fans think. He just made one REALLY bad choice at the QB spot. One that the team really never recovered from until Trent Green was brought in.
Born in 84? 7/23/1984 here!

matthewschiefs
12-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Born in 84? 7/23/1984 here!

Yep 1/20/84

jap1
12-22-2013, 04:16 AM
Yep 1/20/84

That cool, 9/1983 here. Cool to see that there are a group of people around the same age here. "Martyball," DT, and Okoye are the ones that made me a Chiefs fan growing up in the vast wasteland of Traitor and Choker fans.

brdempsey69
12-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Actually, I also liked Marty at one time. 1990 was a very enjoyable season in his 2nd year as Chiefs HC. But starting in '94 things started going stale for me & I started believing Marty would never coach a team in the Super Bowl and then the bloody thing that happened in '97 sealed it for me.