PDA

View Full Version : Latest 1st round mock

Frankenchief
12-31-2013, 06:31 PM
24. Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/kansas-city-chiefs): Kelvin Benjamin (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/133805/kelvin-benjamin), WR, Florida State
The upside Benjamin possesses is unequal in next year's draft. He's a massive wide receiver at 6'5 and more than 230 pounds and can make spectacular catches look routine.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/12/30/ 5255782/2014-nfl-mock-draft-jadeveon-clowney-johnn y-manziel-bridgewater

I guess I'm gonna have to watch the NCAA championship game now.

Frankenchief
12-31-2013, 06:57 PM
I like his size. Don't know about his speed. But how much of his success is due to his Heisman-winning QB?

brdempsey69
12-31-2013, 07:19 PM
I've seen two mock drafts at CBS sports.com. One has Marqise Lee going to KC, the other has Kelvin Benjamin.

Frankenchief, aren't you still wanting another pass-rusher, though? I know I'm on board with another pass-rusher, as Hali isn't getting any younger and the injuries to Hali and Houston exposed their lack of depth.

rodu
12-31-2013, 08:52 PM
I'd like to get a wideout with speed and hands, or a tight end; who knows what will get with Kelce next year

chief31
12-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Myself, I would be looking for a TE this offseason.

Frankenchief
12-31-2013, 11:58 PM
I've seen two mock drafts at CBS sports.com. One has Marqise Lee going to KC, the other has Kelvin Benjamin.

Frankenchief, aren't you still wanting another pass-rusher, though? I know I'm on board with another pass-rusher, as Hali isn't getting any younger and the injuries to Hali and Houston exposed their lack of depth.there's no such thing as enough pass rushers in my book. So yes I do. But this is a peculiar draft for us. usually I have an idea whether this is a fill-a-hole draft for us or a BPA one. This year I think despite. Obvious holes we should go BPA. Maybe because the holes we need to fill are of the nature that we can address in later rounds or free agency. If at the position we pick a pass rusher is the BPA, then I'm all for it.

TopekaRoy
01-01-2014, 12:53 AM
24. Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/kansas-city-chiefs): Kelvin Benjamin (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/133805/kelvin-benjamin), WR, Florida State
The upside Benjamin possesses is unequal in next year's draft. He's a massive wide receiver at 6'5 and more than 230 pounds and can make spectacular catches look routine.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/12/30/ 5255782/2014-nfl-mock-draft-jadeveon-clowney-johnn y-manziel-bridgewater

I guess I'm gonna have to watch the NCAA championship game now.
It's too early for me to even think about the draft right now. Do you have a working link to the mock draft? The one you posted is dead. I want to see what order they have the playoff teams picking in so I can place my bets for the postseason. I see they have 8 teams picking ahead of the Chiefs so they have already decided we are going to lose to the Colts...

Eydugstr
01-01-2014, 05:10 AM
Kelvin Benjiman highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTkyr7Qv8mc

Eydugstr
01-01-2014, 05:13 AM
Marqise Lee highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIjzTV0r1po

Frankenchief
01-01-2014, 12:05 PM
It's too early for me to even think about the draft right now. Do you have a working link to the mock draft? The one you posted is dead. I want to see what order they have the playoff teams picking in so I can place my bets for the postseason. I see they have 8 teams picking ahead of the Chiefs so they have already decided we are going to lose to the Colts...I cut and pasted the link. I don't know how that space in the word 'johnny' got in. So having corrected that, here's the link:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/12/30/5255782/2014-nfl-mock-draft-jadeveon-clowney-johnny-manziel-bridgewater

And while we are on the subject of correcting, your wording was a bit confusing. I bet you meant "8 teams picking after" not "ahead."

texaschief
01-01-2014, 03:09 PM

texaschief
01-01-2014, 04:11 PM
I think a TE pick would be misplaced. We never got to see what Kelce has and Fasano has been good when healthy. I wouldn't be opposed to a TE flyer in the later rounds, but only the front office really knows what they've got at TE and I defer to their judgment at that spot.

There's a good chance the Browns are going to take a QB early in the first and will be looking for more offensive firepower to help out their guy. They've already got Josh Gordon on one side... why not pair him up with Dwayne Bowe? This frees up their 1st pick for the Browns to address other positions of need instead of another WR to help the rookie QB.

Bowe did nothing for the Chiefs this season and losing him wouldn't be any worse than the production we got from him. He played well below replacement level this season and finding more production from that spot shouldn't be too difficult, not to mention, free up some cap space. This offensive system just doesn't utilize a guy like Bowe all that well. The Chiefs need more speed and precise route running instead of large, possession receivers like Bowe. I really think this deal works out well for both teams.

We could address the WR position with either of those picks and still have another top 36 pick to burn on another position of need. The Chiefs need to let Albert walk this season. He did not play very well this year and his selection to the Pro Bowl is suspect, imo. I think having Fisher on the right side has stunted his development and he needs to get back to the left side asap. That puts Stephenson on the right side and makes OL a position of need as far as depth is concerned. I wouldn't mind seeing the Chiefs franchise Albert again as long as they traded him to Miami or any other team to perhaps get some kind of draft pick compensation in return. I wouldn't be opposed to Miami's #51 overall pick. But this should definitely be Albert's last season in KC. This would also save the Chiefs about $10m in cap space.

If the Chiefs trade Albert and Bowe, we'd get 2 2nd round picks and about $20m in cap space to play with. You should be able to find a WR who at the very least performed at Bowe's level this season and a 3rd OT to take Stephenson's place on the depth chart as he moves to the right side permanently. You've already got Albert's replacement in-house. That 3rd OT can be found in the 3rd round or later. So, now you've got $20m and 3 picks in the first 2 rounds to get some serious help wherever you feel you need it, be it at WR, secondary, TE, QB, or OL.

Personally, I would rule out TE and QB for the first couple rounds unless a guy falls in your lap that you absolutely have to take. I'm good with Flowers, Smith, and Cooper at CB and Berry at SS. FS is a position of need imo. I really liked Kendrick coming into the season, but the FS play has been poor all year. Unless they think Demps is the future at that spot, FS is something I'd look long and hard at.

I like Hudson, Allen, and Asamoah on the interior with Fisher and Stephenson on the outside. Poe, Jackson, and DeVito have done great on the D-line interior. Obviously, the linebackers have been gangbusters all year. I wouldn't mind some depth at the OLB spot, but I'm not sure it's a position I'd spend one of my first 3 picks unless, again, someone just fell in our lap.

texaschief
01-01-2014, 04:18 PM
I would also look at what kind of market was available for a guy like Tamba Hali. If the Chiefs could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him, I might make that trade if I could go after a guy like Brian Orakpo as a free agent. That could get you a 4th pick in the first 2 rounds. Jared Veldheer would be another free agent name that would get my attention. He's probably a top 3 LT and taking him away from Oakland could pay dividends as Oakland looks to be set up quite nicely going forward with the most money to spend ($68m) and quite a bit of young talent on board. Eric Decker is scheduled to be a free agent, but I don't see how Denver could let this guy go. However, they do have a ocuple other big free agents coming up like Rodgers-Cromartie and Knowshon Moreno with not a lot of cap space with which to sign them.

Unless we're talking about freak talent, I have a hard time going with a WR in the first round... especially late. If we're talking about Andre or Calvin Johnson, that's one thing. But when you get toward the bottom 3rd of the first round, you're usually looking at guys like A.J. Jenkins and Jonathan Baldwin. Serious hit or miss territory for WRs. I think OL or FS would be the way to go late in the first assuming an obvious selection like Clowney isn't sitting there.

***Sorry about the weird posts. It wouldn't let me post it all together for some reason.

Frankenchief
01-01-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm good with Flowers, Smith, and Cooper at CB and Berry at SS.
I would trade Flowers way before I would trade Bowe. Bowe paired with a speedy hand-cather could be a lethal combo. Flowers is just too small for today's WRs.

ctchiefsfan
01-01-2014, 04:59 PM
I think a TE pick would be misplaced. We never got to see what Kelce has and Fasano has been good when healthy. I wouldn't be opposed to a TE flyer in the later rounds, but only the front office really knows what they've got at TE and I defer to their judgment at that spot.

There's a good chance the Browns are going to take a QB early in the first and will be looking for more offensive firepower to help out their guy. They've already got Josh Gordon on one side... why not pair him up with Dwayne Bowe? This frees up their 1st pick for the Browns to address other positions of need instead of another WR to help the rookie QB.

Bowe did nothing for the Chiefs this season and losing him wouldn't be any worse than the production we got from him. He played well below replacement level this season and finding more production from that spot shouldn't be too difficult, not to mention, free up some cap space. This offensive system just doesn't utilize a guy like Bowe all that well. The Chiefs need more speed and precise route running instead of large, possession receivers like Bowe. I really think this deal works out well for both teams.

We could address the WR position with either of those picks and still have another top 36 pick to burn on another position of need. The Chiefs need to let Albert walk this season. He did not play very well this year and his selection to the Pro Bowl is suspect, imo. I think having Fisher on the right side has stunted his development and he needs to get back to the left side asap. That puts Stephenson on the right side and makes OL a position of need as far as depth is concerned. I wouldn't mind seeing the Chiefs franchise Albert again as long as they traded him to Miami or any other team to perhaps get some kind of draft pick compensation in return. I wouldn't be opposed to Miami's #51 overall pick. But this should definitely be Albert's last season in KC. This would also save the Chiefs about $10m in cap space.

If the Chiefs trade Albert and Bowe, we'd get 2 2nd round picks and about $20m in cap space to play with. You should be able to find a WR who at the very least performed at Bowe's level this season and a 3rd OT to take Stephenson's place on the depth chart as he moves to the right side permanently. You've already got Albert's replacement in-house. That 3rd OT can be found in the 3rd round or later. So, now you've got $20m and 3 picks in the first 2 rounds to get some serious help wherever you feel you need it, be it at WR, secondary, TE, QB, or OL.

Personally, I would rule out TE and QB for the first couple rounds unless a guy falls in your lap that you absolutely have to take. I'm good with Flowers, Smith, and Cooper at CB and Berry at SS. FS is a position of need imo. I really liked Kendrick coming into the season, but the FS play has been poor all year. Unless they think Demps is the future at that spot, FS is something I'd look long and hard at.

I like Hudson, Allen, and Asamoah on the interior with Fisher and Stephenson on the outside. Poe, Jackson, and DeVito have done great on the D-line interior. Obviously, the linebackers have been gangbusters all year. I wouldn't mind some depth at the OLB spot, but I'm not sure it's a position I'd spend one of my first 3 picks unless, again, someone just fell in our lap.

Trading Bowe and Albert is a scary idea but IF we could get a second round pick for each I would have a hard time arguing with it.

Justin5772002
01-01-2014, 05:04 PM
If you think Bowe inst a necessity you are wrong. What is a smaller speedy WR going to do for us with blocking downfield? In our offensive system that's a must! All year long I've heard Bowe's name being called by the announcers about what an amazing block he provided. He's a team player and hasn't been selfish. He hasn't thrown a fit because he's not getting the ball like he thinks he should and until that changes I say WE NEED DWAYNE BOWE.

texaschief
01-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Bowe's size is good, no doubt. But it's definitely not irreplaceable... and neither is his blocking ability. It doesn't take much to block as a WR. All you really need to do is get in the way for a split second. His size can dominate smaller DBs, but it's rarely necessary. A receiver who runs precise routes, has speed, and dependable hands even if he's only got half of Bowe's blocking ability would be far more valuable... not to mention MUCH cheaper if that guy isn't Eric Decker.

I'd much rather spend that money on a WR who can produce than just a glorified downfield blocker. His contract necessitates that he contributes MUCH more than just downfield blocking or the occasional 7 yard slant. Bowe is paid like and puts himself in the same class as guys like Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, etc. but plays at a far inferior level in almost every aspect of the game.

A WR making that kind of money needs to dominate in the passing/receiving game... not the run game.

There has been very little difference between the OL play when Albert is playing and when he's not. Allowing him to leave/trading him doesn't seem like that big of a risk to me. Those two players account for $22m against the cap and they're playing at or below replacement level production. Albert and Bowe DID NOT contribute at a level this year that would warrant their respective salaries. If you can get comparable production at a fraction of the price, that's a move that should be made.

jap1
01-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Tex, I don't disagree with most of our ideas, but I am a little concernd that you would trade Bowe and not want to draft someone at the top of the draft. With or without Bowe we need another WR. I can see Hemingway replacing Bowes production (both as a blocker and WR) but as you say we need that speedy route runner on the other side.

rodu
01-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Bowe in the slot with a dependable deep threat would benefit both players

IowaChief
01-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Bowe's size is good, no doubt. But it's definitely not irreplaceable... and neither is his blocking ability. It doesn't take much to block as a WR. All you really need to do is get in the way for a split second. His size can dominate smaller DBs, but it's rarely necessary. A receiver who runs precise routes, has speed, and dependable hands even if he's only got half of Bowe's blocking ability would be far more valuable... not to mention MUCH cheaper if that guy isn't Eric Decker.

I'd much rather spend that money on a WR who can produce than just a glorified downfield blocker. His contract necessitates that he contributes MUCH more than just downfield blocking or the occasional 7 yard slant. Bowe is paid like and puts himself in the same class as guys like Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, etc. but plays at a far inferior level in almost every aspect of the game.

A WR making that kind of money needs to dominate in the passing/receiving game... not the run game.

There has been very little difference between the OL play when Albert is playing and when he's not. Allowing him to leave/trading him doesn't seem like that big of a risk to me. Those two players account for $22m against the cap and they're playing at or below replacement level production. Albert and Bowe DID NOT contribute at a level this year that would warrant their respective salaries. If you can get comparable production at a fraction of the price, that's a move that should be made.

I don't agree. If we get someone to compliment Dwayne Bowe he will be a tough match up. Right now he is getting everyone's best and as others have said, he is not complaining. You put Bowe Opposite Welker and Thomas in Denver and he is a big play threat. He is not the blazer, but could make big plays with a true blazer keeping the safeties honest and a good possession/slot reciever as mentioned benefits Decker. Kelce may be a good fit, as Moeaki was, if he can also stay healthy, would also help create the "seperation" everyone desires.

texaschief
01-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Tex, I don't disagree with most of our ideas, but I am a little concernd that you would trade Bowe and not want to draft someone at the top of the draft. With or without Bowe we need another WR. I can see Hemingway replacing Bowes production (both as a blocker and WR) but as you say we need that speedy route runner on the other side.

The draft is the last opportunity the team has to add talent to the roster. If you're cutting $22m in payroll, you should have plenty of resources to get comparable production. As I was saying on my show last month, Bowe is getting very sloppy in his route running. I think that is the primary cause for his decline in production. The offense has been getting pretty good this last quarter of the season even without Bowe contributing. The whole point of trading Bowe is to at least get a comparable contribution at a fraction of the price. This is the same concept being applied as the whole Geno Smith debate last year... except, instead of the #1 overall pick, we're talking about a $12.5m cap hit. There are better ways to utilize those resources. You can get more production for that money considering Bowe has produced in the bottom third of players at his position. The reason people still like him is why he's still a good trade candidate. He still has value and teams will offer good value for him banking on a fluke down year instead of a post-contract downward trend.

I don't agree. If we get someone to compliment Dwayne Bowe he will be a tough match up. Right now he is getting everyone's best and as others have said, he is not complaining. You put Bowe Opposite Welker and Thomas in Denver and he is a big play threat. He is not the blazer, but could make big plays with a true blazer keeping the safeties honest and a good possession/slot reciever as mentioned benefits Decker. Kelce may be a good fit, as Moeaki was, if he can also stay healthy, would also help create the "seperation" everyone desires.

Good route running gets separation. Donnie Avery is plenty fast and made enough plays this year for defenses to implement a "honest" game plan. McCluster demands enough attention in the slot for Bowe to benefit from the effects you think a guy like Welker would offer. The problem isn't the pieces around Bowe, it IS Bowe. I'd bet you couldn't name the guys who surround Josh Gordon, Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson. Doubt many people could name the #2 across from Fitzgerald or DeSean Jackson. The Bears have a great 1-2 punch on the outside in Jeffrey and Marshall, but they don't have an elite offense, even though they have a gunslinger at QB like Cutler. Bowe has had productive years with miserable QBs and nobody else on offense with whom to help take coverage away.

The problem isn't the other players around Bowe. The problem is Bowe's lack of commitment to the team and his poor attention to detail. This offense requires things from its receivers that Bowe just doesn't think is all that important. He runs sloppy routes and doesn't do much on the back end to compete for the football. Even when it hits him dead in the hands, he still drops more than he should. Bowe is good for 1 or 2 GOOD catches per game. You could get that from some random, average, replacement level WR who produces near the league average and only makes $3 or $4mil per year instead of $12.5m.

Why pay $12 for name brand when you can pay $2 for the store brand that does the same exact thing? It's all about utilization of resources and tying up $12.5m in a WR who isn't even performing at league average in an offensive system that is all about throwing the ball is a poor way to spend money... ESPECIALLY for a team who is currently sitting right at the salary cap before we even talk about re-signing or franchising Branden Albert.

rodu
01-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Avery can't run routes or catch the ball, he's Sammie Parker. And Dexter is not an every down player, and he's a small downfield target. You get rid of Bowe, you make another hole that needs to be fixed. You put in a sub standard replacement, it will give defenses more excuses to pay attention to Charles or our lackluster TE's since Smith likes to throw to them

texaschief
01-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Avery can't run routes or catch the ball, he's Sammie Parker. And Dexter is not an every down player, and he's a small downfield target. You get rid of Bowe, you make another hole that needs to be fixed. You put in a sub standard replacement, it will give defenses more excuses to pay attention to Charles or our lackluster TE's since Smith likes to throw to them

He IS the "sub standard replacement"... that's my whole point! You can replace his production with someone who doesn't make nearly as much money! That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to say! lol

Frankenchief
01-02-2014, 10:27 PM
He IS the "sub standard replacement"... that's my whole point! You can replace his production with someone who doesn't make nearly as much money! That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to say! lol
The man was a pro bowl player for a reason. Yes I do agree that he is not playing like last year, but we are not creating any problems for Ds who keep doubling him. Haley proved that Bowe needs a task master. Andy, the OC, or the receivers coach has to be that.

texaschief
01-03-2014, 05:05 PM
He's paid as an elite WR but he's not producing like one. Now, you're saying he needs someone to hold his hand in order to be motivated enough to produce at a high level. The guy is eating up $12.5m in cap space and producing at a below average level. Maybe he can produce at a high level again, but I just don't think he's worth the hassle. If $12.5m isn't enough motivation to keep you on track, then you're probably not worth the trouble. This offense needs more DeSean Jackson than Terrell Owens.

texaschief
01-04-2014, 08:09 PM
An elite WR makes plays when he needs to. Bowe didn't punch the TD in early in the game. He had numerous untimely drops. He didn't fight for the ball and when it mattered most, he couldn't get his feet down. This guy is NOT an elite WR. He is trade fodder. PERIOD.

jap1
01-04-2014, 08:16 PM
An elite WR makes plays when he needs to. Bowe didn't punch the TD in early in the game. He had numerous untimely drops. He didn't fight for the ball and when it mattered most, he couldn't get his feet down. This guy is NOT an elite WR. He is trade fodder. PERIOD.

My only concern is giving away the best player at the weakest position on the offense. Without knowing what WRs are available in FA that we could get cheaper, I don't know how I feel about that. I thought he played great. There was only one drop that I saw, and that was with a defender on his back.

rodu
01-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Bowe looked like a star today

texaschief
01-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Another sloppy route by Bowe allowed the defender to take him to the sideline and prevent him from making the play. If he fought up field harder instead of letting the defender ride him so far, we're talking about a Chiefs win. It's been like that all season! It doesn't take much at this level for the tipping point of any one particular play. Precise routes are the difference between making a catch and not... there could not be a better example of this than the Chiefs last play of their season. Bowe just put an exclamation point on what I've been saying since the bye week.

texaschief
01-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Bowe looked like a star today

Really? Hilton looked like a star today. Bowe looked like a #2... which is what he is.

rodu
01-04-2014, 08:27 PM
if your #2 gets 8 catches for 150 yards, you must be playing the Chiefs

jap1
01-04-2014, 08:28 PM
The thing we need more than a WR is a better WR coach. Mistakes like route running that are made repeatedly are a coaching issue. Even if we send Bowe away and get new WRs, they aren't going to be corrected. Trade or not, hopefully Reid is not too loyal to whomever is the WR coach (he has a history of being too loyal) and we see a change in that department.

texaschief
01-04-2014, 08:35 PM
He needs to pay attention to his secondary coach, first.

texaschief
01-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Well, at least this loss puts us in position to take a good DB in the first round. Clinton-Dix would be a nice choice at safety.

jap1
01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
He needs to pay attention to his secondary coach, first.
Emmitt Smith is a leftover from the old regime (one of the only ones) and has a history of being a really good coach. He is new to Reid, so there would be little loyalty. Al Harris (assistant) is relatively new, so I don't know what affect he has. I question whether it is a technique issue with our secondary (DB coaches responsibility) or play calling (which should fall on the DC). Lining up 10 yards off the ball in man coverage to me sounds like a DC issue to me.

The WR coach (David Culley) is also the assistant HC, and has been with Reid forever. With the crappy route running from ALL of our WRs, I feel like we need to look to someone else.

jap1
01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Well, at least this loss puts us in position to take a good DB in the first round. Clinton-Dix would be a nice choice at safety.

Im torn between FS, CB and WR as what I would want in the first. I am curious to see if the team thinks if Sanders Commings can play the FS position. But Lewis definitely makes too many mistakes.

Bike
01-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Im torn between FS, CB and WR as what I would want in the first. I am curious to see if the team thinks if Sanders Commings can play the FS position. But Lewis definitely makes too many mistakes.

We need all 3 of the above. Hopefully somebody comes available in FA to help us out...

Frankenchief
01-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Another sloppy route by Bowe allowed the defender to take him to the sideline and prevent him from making the play. If he fought up field harder instead of letting the defender ride him so far, we're talking about a Chiefs win. It's been like that all season! It doesn't take much at this level for the tipping point of any one particular play. Precise routes are the difference between making a catch and not... there could not be a better example of this than the Chiefs last play of their season. Bowe just put an exclamation point on what I've been saying since the bye week.

Yeah man, we lost today because of Bowe....

texaschief
01-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Yeah man, we lost today because of Bowe....

He certainly earned that $12.5m salary too

rodu
01-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking we narrow down our needs to maybe five positions, then take BPA of those positions, I think we're still a few drafts away

Frankenchief
01-05-2014, 01:00 PM
The thing we need more than a WR is a better WR coach. Mistakes like route running that are made repeatedly are a coaching issue. Even if we send Bowe away and get new WRs, they aren't going to be corrected. Trade or not, hopefully Reid is not too loyal to whomever is the WR coach (he has a history of being too loyal) and we see a change in that department.
It seems there are a few routes that you see with other teams that Chiefs don't run. How many times have you seen a simple come-back route run by us. That last 4th down pass yesterday that Bowe caught outside the line would have been a 1st down if they had designed it as a come-back route inbounds. Coaching?

Pro_Angler
01-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Wish list:
Smart d coordinator..db coach. Corner, WR, FS in those orders Free agency or draft I don't care!!!!

brdempsey69
01-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Just saw that Notre Dame DE Stephon Tuitt 6-6 312 lbs. and can attack the QB, is foregoing his senior year and entering the draft.

Would be a good pickup for the Chiefs. How many 3-4 DE's do the Chiefs have that can attack the QB the way Neil Smith and Bill Maas could playing under Bill Cowher, when Cowher was the Chiefs DC? None that I can see. I'm aware of the need for DB's, but Dorsey/Reid will most likely take pass-rushers with the top draft pick. They'll get DB's elsewhere.

Frankenchief
01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Just saw that Notre Dame DE Stephon Tuitt 6-6 312 lbs. and can attack the QB, is foregoing his senior year and entering the draft.

Would be a good pickup for the Chiefs. How many 3-4 DE's do the Chiefs have that can attack the QB the way Neil Smith and Bill Maas could playing under Bill Cowher, when Cowher was the Chiefs DC? None that I can see. I'm aware of the need for DB's, but Dorsey/Reid will most likely take pass-rushers with the top draft pick. They'll get DB's elsewhere.Are we sure we are staying with 34 long term?

brdempsey69
01-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Are we sure we are staying with 34 long term?

Tuitt can play in either a 3-4 or 4-3. He's very talented & the Chiefs do need D-Lineman that can attack the QB.

Don't know whether or not they stay with 3-4 or switch to 4-3.

jap1
01-06-2014, 05:38 PM
One thing I have noticed with people asking if we switch defensive fronts, is that I hardly ever see us in an actual 3-4. Most of the time I have seen us in a 2DL (Poe and TJ/Devito) with 3LB (+a safety) or 4 LBs depending on the situation. A lot of times we have 5-6 DBs on the field at a time.

That having been said, it wouldn't be too hard for us to "switch" to a 4-3. Houston may be a little light for a DE, so I would keep him at OLB, but we could easily put Hali at end and leave Poe + someone else on the interior. We would need to find an OLB and someone to play DE though, as I don't see anyone on our roster that could hold down those positions as starters.

I'm not advocating for either one, just mentioning the possibilities.

rodu
01-07-2014, 06:53 AM
It's not a matter of just moving Houston to 4-3 OLB, it's a completely new position for him

brdempsey69
01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
I've posted this vid in another thread & will post it again. This is the type of 3-4 DE that the Chiefs don't have, but desperately need to elevate their defense and Stephon Tuitt has this type of potential & if he's there at #24 the Chiefs have to strongly consider him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcBiHh9ZN08

Blizz
02-04-2014, 06:00 AM
Draft

#1-priority......MLB, w/o Question....Solution:Kahlil Mack, Pozluzzny out of FA.....only way to make this happen is $ and or trade with TB.

#2-Next best solution M.Evans or Watkins if he falls (again both involve somehow trading up in vicinity of T.Bay

#3-more realistically,.....but just content Calvin Pryor .....just have to get above Philli somehow, may swap in picks and McLain for??????

4-Best of the rest, Ebron, Ammaro, Benjamin,Tuitt....

obviously these guys are all great talents , but if I could have my wishes come true ANY of the first 3 scenarios would improve our team dramatically. , even the 4th......Anyone have a thought on "Skov out of Stanford or the kid out of Florida? Berry has to have someone to help him in the middle of the field if we expect to go "deep in this thing" like Alex said.

jap1
02-04-2014, 06:21 AM
Draft

#1-priority......MLB, w/o Question

Umm ... MLB as the top priority? Are we watching the same team? DJ is by far one of THE best MLBs in the league. In the games I saw, we rarely ran 2 MLBs except on obvious running downs. And that wasn't a weakness at all for us. In defense we have to improve the consistency of the pass rush and improve the secondary (probably free safety).

on offense we need to improve the WR corps and maybe depth across the board (TE, RB, OL, WR). Honestly, I would be fine with leaving the O how it is and focusing on the defense, but MLB is not somewhere we need to focus on.

Justin5772002
02-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Umm ... MLB as the top priority? Are we watching the same team? DJ is by far one of THE best MLBs in the league. In the games I saw, we rarely ran 2 MLBs except on obvious running downs. And that wasn't a weakness at all for us. In defense we have to improve the consistency of the pass rush and improve the secondary (probably free safety).

on offense we need to improve the WR corps and maybe depth across the board (TE, RB, OL, WR). Honestly, I would be fine with leaving the O how it is and focusing on the defense, but MLB is not somewhere we need to focus on.
I second that one! DJ is my favorite chiefs player. He is and always has been solid in the middle. I think he has a good 3 years left in his tank before his play starts diminishing.

ctchiefsfan
02-05-2014, 04:28 PM
I don't follow college ball, so I don't have any opinion on who specifically we should draft. But what worries me is pass defense. Once we started playing some teams with a decent QB and receivers our defense looked pretty lame. Dunno if this is players or Bob Sutton, but since Sutton isn't going anywhere this year I think our biggest "need" is pass defense.

Seek
02-06-2014, 12:47 PM
The draft needs to be the BDPA. The best Defensive player on the board needs to be taken regardless of position. I would prefer it being a FS or a corner. But the defense needs help at every postion.

I do think Marcus Cooper had a pretty decent rookie year, but he has to improve a whole lot next year. Did you guys see how Seattle shut down the Donkies. Every catch the receivers were tackled immediately, hit hard or breaking up plays. Our Secondary, was sitting back knowing the only chance teams had was to go long yet our safeties got blown buy and beat badly.