PDA

View Full Version : The 800 pound gorilla in the room......

ctchiefsfan
01-01-2014, 12:31 PM
So here we are again. In the playoffs. And like 3 of our last 5 playoff games this one is against the colts. It has been almost 20 years since we last won a playoff game.

So what do y'all think is going to happen? Don't homer it up. Say what you really think.

My feeling is that getting this win is going to be very tough. We have never beaten the colts in the playoffs. So I think it will be very tough to win this game. If we do though I think we have a very good chance of going all the way.

kcvet
01-01-2014, 01:01 PM
So here we are again. In the playoffs. And like 3 of our last 5 playoff games this one is against the colts. It has been almost 20 years since we last won a playoff game.

So what do y'all think is going to happen? Don't homer it up. Say what you really think.

My feeling is that getting this win is going to be very tough. We have never beaten the colts in the playoffs. So I think it will be very tough to win this game. If we do though I think we have a very good chance of going all the way.

D's win playoffs and SB's so its up to them

MissingTBone
01-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Gonna be even harder without having Fisher in there. (Hope he gets better quick) aside from that they pretty much beat us handily on our home field 2 weeks ago. If we come out like that we'll be having to wait at least another year. Playing on their field, is gonna make it tough (even though we've been road warriors), also our secondary hasn't shown me enough to think we can shut down there wrs, and they got some good pressure on us 2 weeks ago. As much as I hope we can squeek one out I have a feeling we just have too many question marks to beat them. Would take a complete game by our team and we haven't been able to do that against good teams all year. Here's hoping I'm proved wrong. Go Chiefs!!

Coach
01-01-2014, 02:36 PM
We win games by getting pressure on the QB and winning the turnover battle. If we do those two things, we will win.
Without QB pressure our secondary will get exposed for the 8th straight week.

texaschief
01-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Their young players have been streaky. Both teams are capable of laying an egg in this game. I think there will be too much pressure on their young offense applied by the situation and our defense for them to perform the way they did 2 weeks ago. I also think the extremely cold temperatures had more of an effect on our defense than their offense. I don't see the same performance coming from our defense in the dome. I also don't think we're going to turn the ball over 4 times again like we did in the first meeting.

I actually think the Chiefs will shock a few people and win this one handily. Call me an optimist, but the team is getting healthy and they're all pretty well rested. I doubt the coaching staff did too much game planning for the Chargers game and had a head start on their plans for the Colts last week. I didn't view last week's game as anything more than a bye week for the starters and the coaching staff... and we all know what kind of record Reid has when he has extra time to prepare. There are plenty of reasons why I expect a win from a Chiefs team that has played pretty well on the road all season.

ctchiefsfan
01-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Their young players have been streaky. Both teams are capable of laying an egg in this game. I think there will be too much pressure on their young offense applied by the situation and our defense for them to perform the way they did 2 weeks ago. I also think the extremely cold temperatures had more of an effect on our defense than their offense. I don't see the same performance coming from our defense in the dome. I also don't think we're going to turn the ball over 4 times again like we did in the first meeting.

I actually think the Chiefs will shock a few people and win this one handily. Call me an optimist, but the team is getting healthy and they're all pretty well rested. I doubt the coaching staff did too much game planning for the Chargers game and had a head start on their plans for the Colts last week. I didn't view last week's game as anything more than a bye week for the starters and the coaching staff... and we all know what kind of record Reid has when he has extra time to prepare. There are plenty of reasons why I expect a win from a Chiefs team that has played pretty well on the road all season.

That is an EXCELLENT point that I had not thought about.

Optimistic or not, your entire post makes good arguments that our Chiefs will win on Saturday.

Justin5772002
01-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Reid's post season expierience is pivotal here. That's going to be our deciding factor. Now the AFC championship game is a different story that's usually when Reid lays an egg

ctchiefsfan
01-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Reid's post season expierience is pivotal here. That's going to be our deciding factor. Now the AFC championship game is a different story that's usually when Reid lays an egg

Perhaps if Reid can get us out of our playoff losing streak then maybe we can help him break his problem with Conference Championship games.

Justin5772002
01-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Perhaps if Reid can get us out of our playoff losing streak then maybe we can help him break his problem with Conference Championship games.
CHEERS! I'll drink to that!

ctchiefsfan
01-01-2014, 05:26 PM
As will I!!!!! Get the monkey off both our backs!

NJChiefs
01-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Now that I'm over my tantrum from Sunday (sorry about that) and can think objectively, I'll predict we can squeeze out a vicory IF we can combine the better efforts of our defense from the first half and the offense from the second half. Specifically we need to rattle Luck hard and early. We have had trouble with smart drop back QBs who use the pocket well and can get rid of the ball quickly, ie: Manning, Rivers and Luck. So they need a superb game by the secondary, to neutralize Mathis and get to Luck before his second option, of which they have a much better shot now with Houston back (I'm so glad they rested him last week :) JC needs more touches than he had two weeks ago, and Smith can not have an int and two fumbles again. Simply put, this team relies on turnovers so I'll go out on a limb and say that regardless of any of the above happening, if we win the turnover differential we win the game. Go Chiefs!

IowaChief
01-01-2014, 10:23 PM
If we can run early and use clock this will set up play action and run blitz screens. This should allow us to keep the defense fresh and put pressure on Luck. It will be a nail biter, Chiefs win 21-17.

chiefnut
01-01-2014, 11:58 PM
here is what i think, we haven't beaten any good teams this year nor haS denvr. the chuggers should never have won last week and we gave them the last game too. what does all this mean.....cincy will roll over sd, i don't expect us to beat indy, and whoever goes to denvr, except maybe the pats, the broncs go down. now out of all the scenarios this is probably the best for us. we played poorly against the colts w/o a healthy D. we had an extra week really to prepare while the colts don't really plan on changing what worked on us last time, Big Red will be looking to fix the leaky boat and thro some new stuff at 'em. so we got a chance, if we don't turn the ball over and either get pressure on luck or just get a little luck ourselves...........then we may pull this one out. should that happen, next stop denvr and that should be a CHIEFS victory for sure.

#58ChiefsFan
01-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Chiefs roll the Colts no homer bs, the Colts are garbage and Andy let off the gas in KC.

Kearney
01-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Homer in me says we go all the way. But here is how i look at it. The Chiefs are a slightly above average team with luck going their way 75% of the time. The Chargers are a Good team with luck going their way 25% of the time. The Bronco's are an excellent team with 0% luck. The Colts are an above average team with only 50% luck.

I think we win in Indy. In fact i would lay money that we blow them up.

Most likely we play Denver next. I think these guys really want to win this time. It will be cold. Jamal wins this time.

Now its on to either Cincy or Pats. At this point if were healthier than them (as we tend to be) I say we win.

ctchiefsfan
01-02-2014, 10:16 AM
A lot of good points here. The idea I find the most intriguing is that Reid deliberately took it easy in the first colts game. If this is true, it means that Reid had already decided that our chances of winning the division were slim and that he was willing to almost deliberately give up the last 2 games in order to gain a strategic advantage against our most likely playoff opponent--the colts. Don't know if I really buy into it, but the idea that in week 16 and 17 Reid was already manoeuvering to get advantages for the playoffs is interesting.

Eydugstr
01-02-2014, 10:20 AM
This season has been a really good season so far...But I think if Reid & Dorsey want to make a statement, they must win a playoff game. It would mean a LOT to KC. That would make it a great season. Everything after that is just icing on the cake.

ctchiefsfan
01-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Absolutely. If in his first year Reid could take us from 2-14 to a playoff win and break our 20 year curse he would be the toast of Chiefs fans everywhere. If we can get that first playoff win I think we will be a real handful for anyone else we play.

Seek
01-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Being Born in KC MO. I need to be shown it before I believe it. I have never seen us beat the Colts in the play offs. While I think we can win this game. I am skeptical given how our defense has played the last couple of weeks. Evern after jumping out to a lead against San Diego and Denver only to lose it later in the game. I still have doubts on this team playing a complete game.

I don't want to get myself believing we should win because history has told me different and it will be less painful expecting a loss, but even more glorious if we win. So for now, I am hoping for a win, but I am happy with the turn around this team has made and look forward to next year when we have more time to fix holes. Regardless of the schedule we played. We beat the team we should have and actually raised the bar to expecting to beat the average teams and competing with play off teams.

Pro_Angler
01-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Lose by 13. We can't pass rush or cover receivers off the line

RaiderHater61
01-02-2014, 09:00 PM
We have not put a decent defense on the field since week 9. I would rather start the backups again than field weeks 11-16 defense again. If the defense that started the season shows up there is no doubt we win.

rodu
01-02-2014, 09:10 PM
We win games by getting pressure on the QB and winning the turnover battle. If we do those two things, we will win.
Without QB pressure our secondary will get exposed for the 8th straight week.

This, and we need to protect Smith

MissingTBone
01-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Resting starters is one thing, but deliberately loosing a game that actually (could have) had playoff implications is another. I think there's no way Reid was conceding the division to Den in week 16. The same thing happened that day that happened MOST of our losses.... We got out played, and out coached. Andy Reid is a competitor at the highest level and was in no way tanking that game IMO. If he was playing to lose and risking hurting our starters then that would be a dumb decision. We turned the ball over too many times, and I'm sure that wasn't part of the "gameplan". And as has been a problem with our team this year our wr couldn't hold on to the ball, and our secondary was having coverage problems with no qb pressure. I hope Hali/Houston can get some pressure. I'm hoping for the beat but preparing for the worst. Either way I'm proud of my team! Go Chiefs!!

Ryfo18
01-03-2014, 10:19 AM
This team hasn't beaten a "good" team all year, so I don't have high hopes that they can go into Indy and win a playoff game.

doobs_05
01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Brain says Indy wins

Heart says KC wins

kcvet
01-03-2014, 01:02 PM
gonna seem strange playing a game on Sat

ctchiefsfan
01-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Our problem the last 6 games has been a complete lack of pressure on opposing quarterbacks which has left our secondary to get scorched. It is no great surprise that this lack of pressure has coincided with the loss of Hali and Houston in the 2cond quarter of the 1st san diego game. Houston is back. Hali is day-to-day. If we can get Hali back and if he can play full speed we will be breathing down Luck's neck and will win the game. If Hali can't play then it will be a tough game but our chances of winning will be greatly diminished.

kcvet
01-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Our problem the last 6 games has been a complete lack of pressure on opposing quarterbacks which has left our secondary to get scorched. It is no great surprise that this lack of pressure has coincided with the loss of Hali and Houston in the 2cond quarter of the 1st san diego game. Houston is back. Hali is day-to-day. If we can get Hali back and if he can play full speed we will be breathing down Luck's neck and will win the game. If Hali can't play then it will be a tough game but our chances of winning will be greatly diminished.

saw a brief interview with Hali who said ya can't get pressure on a QB that gets rid of fast. and luck does. Rivers did to. but our BU's had really good pressure on him.

ctchiefsfan
01-03-2014, 03:14 PM
It's certainly tough to get pressure on a QB that gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds or less. No doubt. Coverage has to give him no place to throw the ball for the first 2-3 seconds. But if the coverage makes him hold onto the ball past about 2 seconds then the pass rush can get to him. We CAN get to Luck.

Justin5772002
01-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Resting starters is one thing, but deliberately loosing a game that actually (could have) had playoff implications is another. I think there's no way Reid was conceding the division to Den in week 16. The same thing happened that day that happened MOST of our losses.... We got out played, and out coached. Andy Reid is a competitor at the highest level and was in no way tanking that game IMO. If he was playing to lose and risking hurting our starters then that would be a dumb decision. We turned the ball over too many times, and I'm sure that wasn't part of the "gameplan". And as has been a problem with our team this year our wr couldn't hold on to the ball, and our secondary was having coverage problems with no qb pressure. I hope Hali/Houston can get some pressure. I'm hoping for the beat but preparing for the worst. Either way I'm proud of my team! Go Chiefs!!
youre right. Resting our starters is one thing but not showing your hand 2 weeks before you might have to face this team again is another. Yes he was playing to win, but he wasn't going to give them much either just in case. A win in both of our last 2 losses didn't mean anything Denver won out so nothing would have came out of it and Andy knew it was possible. Our team is hungry, the players and coaches (misfits) are super hungry and the ownership is hungry. We will put out our best and I DO think that translates to at least one playoff win.

kcvet
01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
It's certainly tough to get pressure on a QB that gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds or less. No doubt. Coverage has to give him no place to throw the ball for the first 2-3 seconds. But if the coverage makes him hold onto the ball past about 2 seconds then the pass rush can get to him. We CAN get to Luck.

and just for "Luck"

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/07/90/079015689d4603088b6d661e8dd92820.jpg?itok=Xf50d_1A

texaschief
01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
The DB's have to get better at the LOS and jam the receivers. If short timing patterns are the way offenses are going to attack the defense, you have to be able to disrupt the timing and get help from the safeties over the top in case a WR gets off the line without any disruption. The best way to combat that kind of offense is with a man under defense with a pair of safeties over the top. But that defensive front needs to get to the QB quickly.

MissingTBone
01-03-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't think showing your hand to a team you may have to face in a couple weeks is a reasons to not try to win a game. Especially when the division was still kinda up for grabs at that point. It's not like the Colts can't look at game film from the previous 14 games and figure out what we do offensively. We played a pretty crappy game vs the Colts last time. I hope can keep it close and have a chance at the end.

TopekaRoy
01-03-2014, 07:55 PM
In the poll thread I picked us to get to the AFC Championship Game, so obviously I think we are going to beat the Colts. When we played them last time we turned the ball over 4 times. That is very unusual for the Chiefs and I don't see that happening again in perfect conditions in a dome.

The Colts are ranked 25th in the NFL against the run and we have Jamaal Charles on our side. It seems like a "no brainer" to get the ball to him early and often. Our offense can really help out our defense by staying on the field and methodically moving the chains. Take some shots downfield periodically to keep their defense honest but this is the perfect scenerio for our patented "dink & dunk" offense. If we can convert on 3rd downs, we will win the game.

"Keep matriculating the ball down the field."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgb_GSIUFL8

Chiefster
01-03-2014, 09:34 PM
In the poll thread I picked us to get to the AFC Championship Game, so obviously I think we are going to beat the Colts. When we played them last time we turned the ball over 4 times. That is very unusual for the Chiefs and I don't see that happening again in perfect conditions in a dome.

The Colts are ranked 25th in the NFL against the run and we have Jamaal Charles on our side. It seems like a "no brainer" to get the ball to him early and often. Our offense can really help out our defense by staying on the field and methodically moving the chains. Take some shots downfield periodically to keep their defense honest but this is the perfect scenerio for our patented "dink & dunk" offense. If we can convert on 3rd downs, we will win the game.

"Keep matriculating the ball down the field."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgb_GSIUFL8

Love that video dude!

iratefan
01-04-2014, 11:04 AM
I think it comes down to essentially who comes out and blows it. Who commits the unsightly, ill timed penalties. Who coughs the ball up at just the wrong moment.

Despite a 23-7 scoreboard 2 weeks ago at arrowhead, the chiefs were still in that game right up into the 4th quarter. despite shooting themselves in the foot, arm, and face, they were mounting momentum and were pushing the ball downfield pretty well. INT's and Fumbles sealed that up pretty quickly though.

How is our defense going to play? It seems unrecognizable the defensive effort pre vs post bye. Were all the nfc east/afc south teams really that bad? Save Eric Berry, our secondary hasnt had much of any noticeable impact on disruptions or turnovers, or hell even the basics like tackling. We've gone from seeing a team centric effort on a cohesive 'defensive unit' turn into individual detractions that stick out like a very sore thumb in players like kendrick lewis. Have we learned how to defend against the 'nearly illegal' pic plays? Can any of our pass rushers actually CATCH andrew luck when he starts to scramble? Can they get any pressure or turnovers at all?

Last meeting, our D didnt show up until it was too late, and our O "****ed it up" which goes against pretty much everything they had going for their early season success.

im really hoping that i dont have to go longer than 20 ****ing years for a post season win, that would be about as pathetic as it gets.

texaschief
01-04-2014, 02:30 PM
What we're seeing in the defensive secondary is what I worried about when they made the trade for Sherman. Arenas was a very good nickel CB who could cover slot receivers and trading him away was very likely going to hurt. Now that they've had to move Flowers to that spot, guys like Smith and Cooper are getting exposed on the outside. I think this defense would've been much better off with Flowers and Smith on the outside with Arenas on the slot. If full back was that important to the offense, perhaps they should have invested in that position a little more in the draft. I don't think Cooper is as bad as he's shown the last few weeks. I think he's going through some rookie growing pains. But I really think that Arenas trade has hampered this defensive secondary when they play teams like the Colts, Broncos, Chargers, and Patriots.