PDA

View Full Version : We don't need Desean Jackson

Coach
03-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Would you rather us:
A: restructure contracts to create cap room to sign DeSean Jackson. Guaranteeing the inability to sign a contract extension for Alex Smith and making him a free agent in 12 months.
Or
B: use the remaining cap room to extend Alex's contract so that we didn't waste two 2nd rd picks by trading for him. Then draft a young wr that can fill the hole and pay him rookie wages.

The choice seems obvious to me. Andy Reid would love to have Desean Jackson. We'd all love to have Desean Jackson in the same offense as Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe if he's willing to play on a 1 yr deal for $3-4mm....but he won't. He wants buku bucks on a multi year deal. We will be in cap hell if we make this deal.

We didn't lose games last year because we couldn't score. We scored 40+ points in the playoffs and lost. We lost games because of our inability to stop any QB that wasn't a 2nd or 3rd stringer. Period. End. Of. Story. I dare you to list the names of the qb's we beat, and also list the qb's we lost to. Our needs will become GLARING.
You want to blow up the cap, do it on a cb, free safety, and an ilb. That's what we need to beat Peyton Manning, not Desean Jackson. Did anyone else watch the Super Bowl?

rodu
03-29-2014, 07:42 AM
could we just sign Jackson's speed, give it to Bowe?

Coach
03-29-2014, 07:45 AM
could we just sign Jackson's speed, give it to Bowe?
That would be ideal. Dwayne Bowe's deal killed us.

chief31
03-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Well, I am not gonna push for D-Jax, but our passing game had been a big cause for concern for more than half the year. Granted, it was all uphill from there. But if there is a way to fit a Desean Jackson into the mix, I am hardly going to frown.

Are there more important issues with the team? Absolutely. But he would be an improvement to the talent-level.

jason1981
03-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Why start another thread whens theres already a thread about jackson. Can we combine them?

Eydugstr
03-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Would you rather us:
A: restructure contracts to create cap room to sign DeSean Jackson. Guaranteeing the inability to sign a contract extension for Alex Smith and making him a free agent in 12 months.
Or
B: use the remaining cap room to extend Alex's contract so that we didn't waste two 2nd rd picks by trading for him. Then draft a young wr that can fill the hole and pay him rookie wages.

The choice seems obvious to me. Andy Reid would love to have Desean Jackson. We'd all love to have Desean Jackson in the same offense as Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe if he's willing to play on a 1 yr deal for $3-4mm....but he won't. He wants buku bucks on a multi year deal. We will be in cap hell if we make this deal.

We didn't lose games last year because we couldn't score. We scored 40+ points in the playoffs and lost. We lost games because of our inability to stop any QB that wasn't a 2nd or 3rd stringer. Period. End. Of. Story. I dare you to list the names of the qb's we beat, and also list the qb's we lost to. Our needs will become GLARING.
You want to blow up the cap, do it on a cb, free safety, and an ilb. That's what we need to beat Peyton Manning, not Desean Jackson. Did anyone else watch the Super Bowl?

That poses an interesting scenario. IMO, if that's what it boils down to, you keep the QB. Period. Especially in a year when there's great talent to be had at WR in the draft.

We shouldn't toss the idea of D-Jax out the door, though. He's a big enough threat that it'd force other AFC West teams to spend $$'s or draft picks on defensive players in the hopes of countering him. If he can be signed without forfeiting our current QB's future, it's worth a look. Guess it'll boil down to how negoitable D-Jax gets hoping to play for Andy Reid.

As far as the secondary is concerned...I'd say answer that in next year's draft, when it's likely we'll get 3 or 4 compensatory extra picks that can't be traded. The front office could entirely change the secondary with that draft! If we sign D-Jax, it'd free some picks this year to go to pass rush/O-line. Dropped passes cost us a lot in yardage, first downs & points. Not one WR we have is considered much of a threat, outside of (maybe) Bowe.

Coach
03-29-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm not suggesting that WR isn't a position of need. It's one of many needs, just not the largest need in my opinion. There will be several good WR options available when we pick in the 1st round and they will be much cheaper that Desean Jackson. If you're gonna blow the bank in free agency, do it on someone that can improve our secondary. They were routinely abused by every decent QB we faced. We even made some of the bad ones look decent.

brdempsey69
03-29-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm not suggesting that WR isn't a position of need. It's one of many needs, just not the largest need in my opinion. There will be several good WR options available when we pick in the 1st round and they will be much cheaper that Desean Jackson. If you're gonna blow the bank in free agency, do it on someone that can improve our secondary. They were routinely abused by every decent QB we faced. We even made some of the bad ones look decent.

The secondary was only part of the pass-defense problem against Rivers, Luck, and Horsehead Manning. The other part of the problem was not getting enough pressure on these guys -- hence, why I keep saying the need for a 3-4 DE that can attack the QB and considering drafting either Hageman or Tuitt ( and no, Bailey, Catapano, Walker, DeVito do not have the potential to be beasts like Hageman and Tuitt do).

jason1981
03-29-2014, 11:57 AM
The secondary was only part of the pass-defense problem against Rivers, Luck, and Horsehead Manning. The other part of the problem was not getting enough pressure on these guys -- hence, why I keep saying the need for a 3-4 DE that can attack the QB and considering drafting either Hageman or Tuitt ( and no, Bailey, Catapano, Walker, DeVito do not have the potential to be beasts like Hageman and Tuitt do).

Agree. We need more pass rush to get to the qbs. Thats how seahawks beat manning.

Eydugstr
03-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Would definitely agree there. Change does need to happen. The question mark I see is the best way to fix it.

IMO, The problem with the secondary, is it's not just the players roster...It's the coaching, too. It's way too late in the offseason to think about coaching changes, so that'd leave the roster. With only six picks, and little cap space, how much change could we really bring to the secondary this year? If we sign a high dollar CB or S in FA it'd have the same effect on us right now as signing D-jax, concerning Alex Smith's contract "room".

If we held off until next year to fix the secondary, we could wipe the slate clean, start off with a new secondary coach and literally a new backfield roster. Changing one or two players on the secondary, being coached in the same manner as last years' bunch, will not cut it against QB's like Manning, Brees, or Brady.

jason1981
03-29-2014, 12:21 PM
I dont think its the coaching. I dont think we have the secondary to play the style that sutton wants to play. Flowers is a cover two guy and we have no fs thats shown anything. Its kinda hard to play suttons style when you dont have all the pieces. Plus it needs a pash rush to thrive which we was hurting on in the second half. We got most of the sacks against poor teams which mislead us. We need more pass rush for this style of defense to work. Really any style revolves around the pass rush. We need a pass rushing de so we dont have to blitz hali and houston every down to get to the qb. If we can keep teams guessing which one will rush it will open things up more.

texaschief
03-29-2014, 02:07 PM
I don't think the prospect of losing Alex Smith is a big enough reason not to sign D-Jax. I doubt the decision would come down to those two players. Extending Justin Houston would probably be the "tough decision." I still have a tough time believing that Alex Smith is the long-term answer at QB for the Chiefs. We will already be in cap hell next season because of the Bowe contract. Restructuring deals to make room is only going to make things worse. That being said, if the Chiefs plan to release Bowe after the 2015 season, signing D-Jax to a 4 or 5 year deal may not be the worst thing in the world.

You have to remember that we're going to be losing some big contracts over the next few years. You can pretty much count on Flowers, Hali, and DJ leaving over the next couple years. Having a couple big contracts in Berry, Houston, Charles, Smith, and D-Jax is expected in today's NFL. Not to mention, each year the cap will most likely raise a few million.

I'm neutral on the deal. If we get him great, if we don't, great. To me, it's win/win.

KCWildcat3
03-29-2014, 03:20 PM
I don't think the signing of Jackson will mean the departure of Smith next season. I think a deal can be done with both. Restructuring contracts is something all teams do. I know the player has to be willing but I'm pretty sure Smith would rather have Jackson that not.

Also if we can sign Jackson then we can potentially draft Dennard if he falls to us. That will really help the secondary cause he is one of the best press corners in college football which really fits our game plan. Draft oline and pass rushers and we are competing next year.

brdempsey69
03-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Worry not for those that don't want the Chiefs to pursue DeSean Jackson. The Chiefs are not pursuing Jackson

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2014/03/29/report-chiefs-desean-jackson/

jason1981
03-30-2014, 01:54 AM
Case closed

Eydugstr
03-30-2014, 04:36 AM
Lots of WR's in this years' draft.

Pro_Angler
03-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Once again we will go into another season without a number one receiver.

jason1981
03-31-2014, 12:37 AM
Well as long as we draft wr, de, or guard wi5h our 1st pick il be ok with it. I dont like the top two safeties cuz I heard there more in the box safeties but we need one than can cover.

TopekaRoy
03-31-2014, 12:43 AM
The Chiefs are not pursuing Jackson.

Says someone Ian Rapoport will not identify and NOBODY ELSE!

brdempsey69
03-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Well as long as we draft wr, de, or guard wi5h our 1st pick il be ok with it. I dont like the top two safeties cuz I heard there more in the box safeties but we need one than can cover.

I'm not sold on Pryor or Clinton-Dix with the Chiefs top draft pick, either. I believe that there is a diamond in the rough at the Safety position in later rounds just waiting for Dorsey to pluck him. The top draft pick should be a 3-4 DE that can attack the QB or an off-the edge pass-rusher if they go Defense, or a WR or Guard if they go Offense.....simple as that.

Wouldn't be surprised if a trade-sown occurs.

jap1
03-31-2014, 06:46 PM
The current rumors are that DeSean Jackson wants a long term deal with 9-11 mil/year. At that price range, we dont need him. If he was willing to take a 50% Andy Reid discount, then I would take him in a heartbeat.

Pro_Angler
03-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Jackson isn't a #1 receiver either. Pray we get a stud rd one. Or trade up to 2nd to get one..

Justin5772002
03-31-2014, 08:40 PM
Jackson isn't a #1 receiver either. Pray we get a stud rd one. Or trade up to 2nd to get one..
IMO the only way we are getting a second round pick would be if we traded down picks

tornadospotter
04-01-2014, 12:26 AM
A is no longer an option, and I for one am glad. We need to sign players who will play. Not those who want huge payouts. Players who who play hunger for and are driven to that goal of success. To many think they are more than what they are. We have no need of anyone, who thinks they are more than they are.

matthewschiefs
04-01-2014, 02:10 AM
Bottom line for me on Jackson
He had a career year last year after that a team is willing to cut him and take the cap hit. There's a reason for that. We don't know that reason. But that just doesn't happen very often for a player who is still in his 20s. Philly knows something we don't that's why I'm glad we are out of the running if that report is true

brdempsey69
04-01-2014, 02:23 AM
A is no longer an option, and I for one am glad. We need to sign players who will play. Not those who want huge payouts. Players who who play hunger for and are driven to that goal of success. To many think they are more than what they are. We have no need of anyone, who thinks they are more than they are.

Hmmm. That sounds just like a guy that we already let go that thought he should be paid top-5, but wasn't top 10.

Eydugstr
04-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Looks like this argument is over. He signed with the Redskins.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/02/desean-jackson-washington-redskins-contract-free-agency/?xid=aol_home&icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-sb-bb%7Cdl15%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D460202

Seek
04-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Pitty, I was kind of hoping the Gang ties are true and having Oakland Sign him would only put him closer to that issue making the signing a train wreck for the Raiders.

tornadospotter
04-04-2014, 12:08 AM
Hmmm. That sounds just like a guy that we already let go that thought he should be paid top-5, but wasn't top 10.
Why yes it does, and can apply to someone we still have that in my mind proven worth the dollars spent and cap hit he has not.

Mongo
04-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Numerous sources tell CBS Philly that DeSean Jackson was "blatantly insubordinate" and "not very well liked by his teammates" with the Eagles, leading to his release before signing with Washington.

CBS Philly reports Jackson threw "temper tantrums cussing out (Chip) Kelly several times in front of the team," and was "more concerned with his rap label" than winning football games. The dislike among teammates would seem to be confirmed by their dispassionate reactions to his departure. "I’ll put it this way, when it came out last Friday that [Jackson] was released," said one source, "more than a few guys were happy it happened. They said ‘good riddance.’"

The Skins can have him.