PDA

View Full Version : Jason Avant, anyone?

Mongo
04-06-2014, 09:54 AM
ESPN's Adam Teicher doesn't expect the Chiefs to consider signing free agent Jason Avant until after the draft.

Avant played under Andy Reid for seven seasons in Philadelphia and could provide depth for Kansas City's shallow receiver corps. Wherever Avant ends up, he shouldn't require more than the veteran minimum.

Not interested. Just another meh signing to fill the roster.

Eydugstr
04-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Actually, I think this will help. He's not going to be the next Jerry Rice, but he's experienced with Andy Reid's offense.

brdempsey69
04-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Mongo is right and one might suspect that if the Chiefs had an interest in Avant, then he most likely would have been signed already.

jap1
04-07-2014, 04:55 AM
I'd lean more towards what Teicher said. If they go WR in round one, we won't give Avant a call. If we don't go WR and we are looking at someone we aren't 100% sold can be a starter, it wouldn't hurt to sign Avant to a team friendly deal and have him compete against what is on th roster already.

Eydugstr
04-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Check out the catch at 1:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6nYzfKb7p4

keatonhenry
04-07-2014, 03:06 PM
I think Avant could be helpful, he certainly wouldn't hard the team by any means. However, adding him now would indicate that John Dorsey does not intend to draft a Receiver in the earlier rounds of the draft. I think that Dorsey should see how the draft pans out before he considers adding Avant. If we go defense or offensive line in the first few rounds, then adding Avant to be a stop gap would be a smart decision.

Mongo
04-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I think Avant could be helpful, he certainly wouldn't hard the team by any means. However, adding him now would indicate that John Dorsey does not intend to draft a Receiver in the earlier rounds of the draft. I think that Dorsey should see how the draft pans out before he considers adding Avant. If we go defense or offensive line in the first few rounds, then adding Avant to be a stop gap would be a smart decision.

I don’t think signing Jason Avant has any bearing on drafting a WR at all. KC needs to add a potential star WR in this draft. Avant isn’t a star. He’s serviceable C grade depth.

The Chiefs have to prepare for the event that Dwayne Bowe’s drop in performance was not a fluke but a trend. I know many are hoping for defense, but a WR is top priority. The Chiefs have one of the worst WR corp in the league. The only potential improvement might come from a healthy Travis Kelce.

keatonhenry
04-07-2014, 05:02 PM
I don’t think signing Jason Avant has any bearing on drafting a WR at all. KC needs to add a potential star WR in this draft. Avant isn’t a star. He’s serviceable C grade depth.

The Chiefs have to prepare for the event that Dwayne Bowe’s drop in performance was not a fluke but a trend. I know many are hoping for defense, but a WR is top priority. The Chiefs have one of the worst WR corp in the league. The only potential improvement might come from a healthy Travis Kelce.

Adding a receiver in the draft is a priority, now the only "star" receiver in this draft is Sammy Watkins, everyone else would be a guess as to whether they will become a real player or not. The only way that the Chiefs will draft a receiver in the first round is if HaHa Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor are both off the board. And, personally, the only receiver that would be worth taking around pick #23 would be Marquise Lee. Lee was widely considered a top 10 pick last year and his production didn't slip much from last year to this year.

matthewschiefs
04-07-2014, 06:23 PM
I say sign him to a one year deal let him come into camp see if something with him and Alex clicks if not let him go on one of the cuts. It would be a low risk signing

matthewschiefs
04-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Well never mind he signed with the panthers