PDA

View Full Version : Webnews: Chiefs’ Eric Fisher had shoulder, hernia surgeries

Coach
04-21-2014, 02:44 PM
By Michael David Smith (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/21/chiefs-eric-fisher-had-shoulder-hernia-surgeries/) http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/ericfishergreenbaypackersvkansascityauo-3kwgxddl-e1381073143145.jpg?w=200&h=170&crop=1
The first overall pick in last year’s NFL draft is recovering from two different offseason surgeries. Chiefs offensive tackle Eric Fisher had a procedure on his shoulder and a procedure to repair a hernia, coach Andy Reid confirmed today at his press conference at the start of Kansas City’s offseason program. Fisher started 13 games…
Read more… (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/21/chiefs-eric-fisher-had-shoulder-hernia-surgeries/)

Frankenchief
04-21-2014, 04:50 PM
I guess out the window goes the notion of his offseason work to make him stronger. :(

TopekaRoy
04-21-2014, 04:53 PM
My first thought when I read this article was "Uh, oh. This could be trouble." About 2 seconds later I thought "wait a minute. You mean he was blocking with an injured shoulder AND a hernia AND playing out of position and he still looked pretty good at the end of the season?" If he is fully healed, playing the position he is most comfortable with and having a second year in the same system, He will be a beast.

I can't wait to see how much he improves this year!

brdempsey69
04-21-2014, 05:11 PM
I guess out the window goes the notion of his offseason work to make him stronger. :(

Not so fast. Andy Reid said he added 5 pounds of good weight. And there's still plenty of time before training camp for him to work and get ready and Fisher is at OTA's

https://twitter.com/KCChiefs_Reid/status/458329004471091200/photo/1

My first thought when I read this article was "Uh, oh. This could be trouble." About 2 seconds later I thought "wait a minute. You mean he was blocking with an injured shoulder AND a hernia AND playing out of position and he still looked pretty good at the end of the season?" If he is fully healed, playing the position he is most comfortable with and having a second year in the same system, He will be a beast.

In his last 5 games last year, Fisher did not get called for one single penalty and only allowed the QB to be touched somewhere around maybe 3 times. If I compare that to Branden Albert's last 5 games in 2010 where he gave up 9 sacks in his THIRD season at LT, then it would seem it's safe to say there is hope for Fisher if he can stay healthy and play his natural position at LT.

Frankenchief
04-21-2014, 07:04 PM

I can't wait to see how much he improves this year!Thanks for the cup-half-full reply. But my question is why didn't they wait until the start of the OTAs to do this? How long does he have now to recover from this and still get the offseason strength training that was prescribed for him?

brdempsey69
04-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Fisher says his weight is coming back and he hopes to play at 310 -- 315 this year. He said he was playing between 295 -- 300 last year.

ctchiefsfan
04-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Topeka's good take on things notwithstanding, I can't say that I see this as good news. Hard not to worry how ready he will be come preseason. That said, if he was playing with these injuries towards the end of the season it certainly puts his performance into an encouraging light.

The sky isn't falling, but this is not the kind of news I like to hear.

Eydugstr
04-21-2014, 08:48 PM

Agreed. I'm not worried about Fisher, glad he got these surgeries out of the way.

Frankenchief
04-21-2014, 11:17 PM
The first two weeks of OTAs is strength training and getting in shape (according to ESPN). Other OTAs are for other stuff. This is a bad time to be recovering from surgery.

Again, why wasn't Surgery done 2 months ago?

brdempsey69
04-21-2014, 11:41 PM
The first two weeks of OTAs is strength training and getting in shape (according to ESPN). Other OTAs are for other stuff. This is a bad time to be recovering from surgery.

Again, why wasn't Surgery done 2 months ago?

Not sure when the surgery was done, but if it was just recently, then yes, it should have been done sooner. But, at least he is working out and should be ready for the start of training camp.

ctchiefsfan
04-22-2014, 02:21 AM
Maybe I missed something, but I haven't seen anything saying when the surgeries were done. All I have seen is when it was made public that he had had these surgeries.

Does anybody have any factual knowledge on when the surgeries were done?

brdempsey69
04-22-2014, 02:58 AM
Maybe I missed something, but I haven't seen anything saying when the surgeries were done. All I have seen is when it was made public that he had had these surgeries.

Does anybody have any factual knowledge on when the surgeries were done?

None that I'm aware of. I only know that Fisher has stated he spent all off-season in KC working and doing whatever he could and that he should be cleared to work full-tilt very soon.

TopekaRoy
04-22-2014, 07:44 AM
I couldn't find the date of the surgeries with a Google search, but apparently he is still recovering.

...the Chiefs are obviously planning for Fisher to be ready and at full strength for the start of the regular season....

"He's doing very well," coach Andy Reid said. "He's been here the whole offseason rehabbing and has made quite a bit of progress. He's doing all of his lower body work and rehabbing the shoulder, doing what he can with that part of it."

No timetable for Eric Fisher's return (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10818067/eric-fisher-kansas-city-chiefs-recovering-offseason-surgeries)

Seek
04-22-2014, 08:41 AM
He had the surgery some time ago. He has been in Kc rehabing. He was on the field yesterday in his jersey and helmet. They had videos of him on the News last night kicking a ball back to himself and then throwing balls to a receiver. I am assuming it was his left shoulder as he was holding down to his side a little but he was not in a sling. Kicking the ball makes me believe the hernia was taken care of early as well or he would not be kicking balls.

ctchiefsfan
04-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Well that is good news. At least it appears that he well along on the path to recovery.

Frankenchief
04-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Not sure when the surgery was done, but if it was just recently, then yes, it should have been done sooner. But, at least he is working out and should be ready for the start of training camp.

They make it sound like it was recent. I think if it was a couple of months ago they would have reported it then.

Frankenchief
04-22-2014, 11:59 AM
He had the surgery some time ago. He has been in Kc rehabing. He was on the field yesterday in his jersey and helmet. They had videos of him on the News last night kicking a ball back to himself and then throwing balls to a receiver. I am assuming it was his left shoulder as he was holding down to his side a little but he was not in a sling. Kicking the ball makes me believe the hernia was taken care of early as well or he would not be kicking balls.
Sounds good.

brdempsey69
04-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Well, we know for certain now that Fisher is one tough S.O.B. to play through that & I know I saw his left arm go dead a couple of times. He said he's doing lifting, just not full tilt like he wants to.

Should have been playing LT right from the get-go, regardless of what Albert wanted. And Dorsey might as well have taken a 3rd round pick in this years draft if Miami was willing to offer it at this time last year.

Frankenchief
04-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Should have been playing LT right from the get-go, regardless of what Albert wanted. And Dorsey might as well have taken a 3rd round pick in this years draft if Miami was willing to offer it at this time last year.

I wonder what the league compensation to the will be for Albert's loss.

brdempsey69
04-22-2014, 01:12 PM
I wonder what the league compensation to the will be for Albert's loss.

Well, if Albert is able to play a full season for them and play reasonably well, then I would think it would be a 3rd rounder, just like they got for Brandon Carr.

The Chiefs could get 3 or 4 compensatory picks in 2015.