PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock - Chiefs remain a mystery

Guru
10-22-2007, 01:35 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/327382.html

OAKLAND, Calif. | If your buddy tells you he’s figured out the Chiefs, he’s lying, crazy or both.

At 4-3, sitting atop the AFC West, with two road victories in California and headed into their bye week, the Chiefs haven’t figured out the Chiefs.

“I thought we’d be better than this,” Herm Edwards said after Kansas City’s hard-to-watch 12-10 victory over the Raiders. “But we’re not. We are what we are … Yeah, we’re in first place, but that’s not the key. It’s where we’re going to be in December.”

No one knows. The Chiefs are a mystery Nostradamus couldn’t solve.

Pretender or contender? It’s a crapshoot.

Oh, they give us clues from time to time. On Sunday at McAfee Coliseum, the Chiefs showed us that Edwards has instilled them with a level of toughness that had been missing during the Vermeil era.

Beyond that, I’m not sure what we witnessed on Sunday.

Yeah, Jared Allen continued his contract push, recording two more sacks, racing all over the field making tackles and impersonating Miami’s Jason Taylor, the league’s 2006 defensive player of the year.

And, yeah, Damon Huard sidestepped constant pass-rush pressure and delivered the ball downfield to Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez just enough times to make KC’s offense a cut below unacceptable.

And, in a very surprising twist, Larry Johnson conducted himself like a grown man for four quarters, gutted out a few tough runs, ripped off a thrilling 54-yarder and moved the chains at the end of the game when the Chiefs were trying to eat up the clock. Larry’s 112-yard, one-TD performance was his best of the season. His on-field demeanor and body language were appropriate and professional.

But all the good — including Jarrad Page’s game-winning interception, Alfonso Boone’s fourth-and-1 stop and Priest Holmes’ 8-yard run late — was offset by signs of trouble.

The Chiefs can’t protect the passer. And Herm Edwards’ game-day decisions remain highly questionable.

Huard was sacked twice, but he was hit all day. Warren Sapp owned the interior of Kansas City’s offensive line. Sapp, a 34-year-old future hall of famer — who entered Sunday’s game with zero sacks — disrupted Huard’s pocket all afternoon.

“We didn’t pass protect very well,” Edwards acknowledged. “Damon took a lot of hits.”

KC’s protection broke down inside and outside. The tackles struggled, too. Kansas City’s offensive line lost more than Will Shields and Willie Roaf over the last two years. The line lost Mike Solari, too. Solari, of course, was promoted to offensive coordinator. His role in KC’s years of excellent line play shouldn’t be overlooked.

But most troubling was Edwards’ decision to go for two points after the Chiefs scored a go-ahead TD with 11 minutes, 30 seconds to play. Johnson’s 1-yard plunge made the score 12-7. Given how poorly Oakland’s offense had performed, the smart, easy decision was to kick the extra point, which would force Oakland to kick two field goals to tie.

There was no reason to think the Raiders could score another TD. Their running game had given them nothing. Daunte Culpepper had been inconsistent and inaccurate at best. What the Chiefs wanted to avoid was bringing kicker Sebastian Janikowski into the picture as a potential game-winner.

Janikowski owns the NFL’s strongest leg. By going for two and failing, Edwards opened the possibility of Janikowski winning the game with two field goals. When the Raiders cut the lead to 12-10, it was easy to imagine Janikowski lining up for a game-winning 60-yard kick with the wind at his back.

Going for two was foolish, the kind of mistake that could’ve easily cost the Chiefs the game.

Whatever, the Chiefs won, they’ve got the bye to regroup offensively, and their defense continues to get stronger.

“Probably a lot of people anticipated us this year to only have four wins,” Edwards said.

Those people still have a chance to be right.

hermhater
10-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Guru do you have a freakin' :fatlock: hotline that you can get these posted this swiftly?

:bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
10-22-2007, 01:41 AM

OAKLAND, Calif. | If your buddy tells you he’s figured out the Chiefs, he’s lying, crazy or both.

At 4-3, sitting atop the AFC West, with two road victories in California and headed into their bye week, the Chiefs haven’t figured out the Chiefs.

“I thought we’d be better than this,” Herm Edwards said after Kansas City’s hard-to-watch 12-10 victory over the Raiders. “But we’re not. We are what we are … Yeah, we’re in first place, but that’s not the key. It’s where we’re going to be in December.”

Oh, they give us clues from time to time. On Sunday at McAfee Coliseum, the Chiefs showed us that Edwards has instilled them with a level of toughness that had been missing during the Vermeil era.

Yeah, Jared Allen continued his contract push, recording two more sacks, racing all over the field making tackles and impersonating Miami’s Jason Taylor, the league’s 2006 defensive player of the year.

And, yeah, Damon Huard sidestepped constant pass-rush pressure and delivered the ball downfield to Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez just enough times to make KC’s offense a cut below unacceptable.

And, in a very surprising twist, Larry Johnson conducted himself like a grown man for four quarters, gutted out a few tough runs, ripped off a thrilling 54-yarder and moved the chains at the end of the game when the Chiefs were trying to eat up the clock. Larry’s 112-yard, one-TD performance was his best of the season. His on-field demeanor and body language were appropriate and professional.

But all the good — including Jarrad Page’s game-winning interception, Alfonso Boone’s fourth-and-1 stop and Priest Holmes’ 8-yard run late — was offset by signs of trouble.

The Chiefs can’t protect the passer. And Herm Edwards’ game-day decisions remain highly questionable.

Huard was sacked twice, but he was hit all day. Warren Sapp owned the interior of Kansas City’s offensive line. Sapp, a 34-year-old future hall of famer — who entered Sunday’s game with zero sacks — disrupted Huard’s pocket all afternoon.

“We didn’t pass protect very well,” Edwards acknowledged. “Damon took a lot of hits.”

KC’s protection broke down inside and outside. The tackles struggled, too. Kansas City’s offensive line lost more than Will Shields and Willie Roaf over the last two years. The line lost Mike Solari, too. Solari, of course, was promoted to offensive coordinator. His role in KC’s years of excellent line play shouldn’t be overlooked.

But most troubling was Edwards’ decision to go for two points after the Chiefs scored a go-ahead TD with 11 minutes, 30 seconds to play. Johnson’s 1-yard plunge made the score 12-7. Given how poorly Oakland’s offense had performed, the smart, easy decision was to kick the extra point, which would force Oakland to kick two field goals to tie.

There was no reason to think the Raiders could score another TD. Their running game had given them nothing. Daunte Culpepper had been inconsistent and inaccurate at best. What the Chiefs wanted to avoid was bringing kicker Sebastian Janikowski into the picture as a potential game-winner.

Janikowski owns the NFL’s strongest leg. By going for two and failing, Edwards opened the possibility of Janikowski winning the game with two field goals. When the Raiders cut the lead to 12-10, it was easy to imagine Janikowski lining up for a game-winning 60-yard kick with the wind at his back.

Going for two was foolish, the kind of mistake that could’ve easily cost the Chiefs the game.

Whatever, the Chiefs won, they’ve got the bye to regroup offensively, and their defense continues to get stronger.

“Probably a lot of people anticipated us this year to only have four wins,” Edwards said.

Another reason not to blame Huard.

He looked like a young Bernie Kosar today!
:D

McLovin
10-22-2007, 01:46 AM

Hadn't looked at it this way.

But I liked it, I like taking a some chances in playcalling.

Bite your tongue Fatlock, We still play the Raiders again, and Denver twice, we will have at least 2 more wins, I can see 9-7 or 10-6. or 7-9 or 8-8

Although I normally don't agree with a lot of what fatlock says, I do feel that this was a very good assessment. Wonder when he started reading my posts.

:lol::fatlock::lol:

sling58
10-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Byron I will agree with the 2-point play call. If the zebra hadn't got in the way we would have had the points. Making that call showed that we are willing to take a chance which I love.

All I know is we won and are atop the AFC West right now going into our bye week. Yes the O looked sluggish at times but we won and I'll take the W against the faders anyday.

anaeelbackwards
10-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Byron I will agree with the 2-point play call. If the zebra hadn't got in the way we would have had the points. Making that call showed that we are willing to take a chance which I love.

All I know is we won and are atop the AFC West right now going into our bye week. Yes the O looked sluggish at times but we won and I'll take the W against the faders anyday.

yes a lot of people i talked to debated the 2 point conversion call, it was 11 minutes still left in teh game but the mentality of it, was indeed the right call. big ups to herm and corp for that call! and darn that zebra!:mob:

chiefinsyr
10-22-2007, 03:57 PM
YouTube - Herm Edwards- Greatest Coach Ever!

And that's why you go for 2. I wanted him to go for it. Going up by 6 does nothing. If we get into OT with the Raiders at home they have a better chance anyway.

hermhater
10-22-2007, 04:00 PM
YouTube - Herm Edwards- Greatest Coach Ever! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I)

And that's why you go for 2. I wanted him to go for it. Going up by 6 does nothing. If we get into OT with the Raiders at home they have a better chance anyway.

YouTube - Herm Edwards

Yet more wisdom from HERM!

sling58
10-22-2007, 05:00 PM
"you Play To Win The Game!!!!!!! Hello!"

McLovin
10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
YouTube - LJ Mocks Herm

I will see your Herm and Raise you a LJerm

Chiefster
10-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Only to :fatlock: would the Chiefs be a mystery.

tornadospotter
10-22-2007, 10:34 PM

I also will be glad for the WIN OVER THE rAIDERS, I HATE THE rAIDERS, BRING ON THE dONKS, I HATE THEM SECOND TO THE rAIDERS.
:bananen_smilies046:

greg3564
10-23-2007, 12:46 AM
All the same guys who say they "liked" the two point attempt would probably crucify Herm had we lost by one point.

That has got to be some of the dumbest play calling, even by Herm. If he continues to put the team at risk, on the road no less, he will cost this team any shot at a post season. Not to mention some criticism that I've already seen on a couple of TV shows. Bad, bad calls. There is no excuse for that. Now if you want to do some trick plays now and then, that's fine. But in a obvious two point attempt(with the lead) and on the road against Janokowski????? :fighting0087: Inexusable.

hermhater
10-23-2007, 12:53 AM
All the same guys who say they "liked" the two point attempt would probably crucify Herm had we lost by one point.

That has got to be some of the dumbest play calling, even by Herm. If he continues to put the team at risk, on the road no less, he will cost this team any shot at a post season. Not to mention some criticism that I've already seen on a couple of TV shows. Bad, bad calls. There is no excuse for that. Now if you want to do some trick plays now and then, that's fine. But in a obvious two point attempt(with the lead) and on the road against Janokowski????? :fighting0087: Inexusable.

Excellent points, every single one!

Just be happy that HERM showed some innovativeness in game management. It didn't work because of the ref (IMO) getting in DBo's way. He is a rookie, he will learn to just run over a ref and make the play, don't worry about that!

It was the right call for the situation. We needed to be able to tied if the raiders scored a TD, not behind by one.

I RARELY agree with HERMs decisions, but this was the right call.

I was happy when he called it, and disappointed when it didn't work.

So goes the Chiefs.

greg3564
10-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Excellent points, every single one!

Just be happy that HERM showed some innovativeness in game management. It didn't work because of the ref (IMO) getting in DBo's way. He is a rookie, he will learn to just run over a ref and make the play, don't worry about that!

It was the right call for the situation. We needed to be able to tied if the raiders scored a TD, not behind by one.

I RARELY agree with HERMs decisions, but this was the right call.

I was happy when he called it, and disappointed when it didn't work.

So goes the Chiefs.

I miss the Vermeil days. If only we could take the defense we have now and the offense from Vermeil's days. Wait, that would be the Patriots! Oh well.

hermhater
10-23-2007, 01:02 AM
I miss the Vermeil days. If only we could take the defense we have now and the offense from Vermeil's days. Wait, that would be the Patriots! Oh well.

You called it dude!

That would be awesome.

We have more talent on this team than in the last 10 years, overall.

If we only had a coach to use it...

sigh...

:bananen_smilies046::sign0098::beer::D

greg3564
10-23-2007, 01:40 AM
You called it dude!

That would be awesome.

We have more talent on this team than in the last 10 years, overall.

If we only had a coach to use it...

sigh...

:bananen_smilies046::sign0098::beer::D

Well, Herm isn't the only one to blame. Carl Peterson shares some blame here. That guy has traded away fantastic players the last few years. Guys like Joe Horn, Scott Fujita, Donnie Edwards(thank God we got him back) and Dante Hall. Anyone else notice that we have not done ONE thing in the return game since he's been gone? Drummond is not impressive at all. He's been mediocre.

Another ramble, but what's the timetable on Bobby Sippio playing? He's a big fast Arena league WR like Bowe. Get those two together with a healthy Kennisen, then throw in Sammy Parker...then WATCH out!!!!!

This team has some explosive playmakers, but the coaches seem to want conservation. Another guy well underused is Boomer Grigsby. Either use him regularly at FB or send him back over to the Defense to do some good. The couple times he's played FB I think WOW that dude can lay a bruising!!!

hermhater
10-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Well, Herm isn't the only one to blame. Carl Peterson shares some blame here. That guy has traded away fantastic players the last few years. Guys like Joe Horn, Scott Fujita, Donnie Edwards(thank God we got him back) and Dante Hall. Anyone else notice that we have not done ONE thing in the return game since he's been gone? Drummond is not impressive at all. He's been mediocre.

Another ramble, but what's the timetable on Bobby Sippio playing? He's a big fast Arena league WR like Bowe. Get those two together with a healthy Kennisen, then throw in Sammy Parker...then WATCH out!!!!!

This team has some explosive playmakers, but the coaches seem to want conservation. Another guy well underused is Boomer Grigsby. Either use him regularly at FB or send him back over to the Defense to do some good. The couple times he's played FB I think WOW that dude can lay a bruising!!!

Well you just hit the hat trick.

Carl, Sippio, and Boomer.

Post away folks!
:sign0098: :beer: :toast2: :D

chief31
10-23-2007, 01:55 AM

Who gets the blame for winnig two divisional road games? And for getting this team, that few thought had any chance of winning anything, into fist place? Who gets all of the blame for this?

I am an ati-Herm guy, and will be until he starts drafting some offensive linemen, but to blame him and CP for evrything is....only fair. Blame Herm and CP for winning in San Diego. Blame them for winning in Oakland, and blame them for being in first place.

hermhater
10-23-2007, 02:36 AM
Who gets the blame for winnig two divisional road games? And for getting this team, that few thought had any chance of winning anything, into fist place? Who gets all of the blame for this?

I am an ati-Herm guy, and will be until he starts drafting some offensive linemen, but to blame him and CP for evrything is....only fair. Blame Herm and CP for winning in San Diego. Blame them for winning in Oakland, and blame them for being in first place.

You make it difficult to argue with ya there, but..

I blame them.

The talent that is on the field have won the games despite the calls called in by the coach.

Gotta go out on a limb here and say if HERM keeps using his talent I will consider considering a change of my username. Suggestions for after HERM wins the Super Bowl?

McLovin
10-23-2007, 02:47 AM
You make it difficult to argue with ya there, but..

I blame them.

The talent that is on the field have won the games despite the calls called in by the coach.

Gotta go out on a limb here and say if HERM keeps using his talent I will consider considering a change of my username. Suggestions for after HERM wins the Super Bowl?

He!! froze over,
Told ya we should have started Croyle sooner,
Why couldn't he do that before the Chiefs fired him.
Broyle4President
B-Croyle - D-BO = TD
I cant believe they refused to let 15 teams play this year.
and my favorite Eat That Huard Homers,

hermhater
10-23-2007, 02:56 AM
HERM froze over,
Broyle4President
B-Croyle - D-BO = TD

FYR!

:D

Chiefster
10-23-2007, 02:55 PM
He!! froze over,
Broyle4President
B-Croyle - D-BO = TD

Croyle and Croyle; what is Crolye!