PDA

View Full Version : ESPN beat writer's mock draft

Bortnem
05-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Here is a link to the ESPN beat writer mock draft that went on today. How it worked was the beat writers for each team were the ones making the picks and trades. Our "great" (added sarcasm) beat writer Adam Teicher took Ra'Shede Hageman with the 23rd pick.

I am really hoping this scenario does not happen in real life because all the player I would be fine with the Chiefs taking were gone, and no one wanted to give a decent trade offer to move up.

What do you all think?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/125622/2014-nfl-nation-mock-draft

brdempsey69
05-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Hageman can be likened to Poe as a draft prospect. Boom or bust with a ton of physical ability at 6-6 and 318 lbs.. If he became a Chief and boomed like Poe did, the middle of the Chiefs D-Line would be tough to deal with in obvious passing situations. I could see this happening if the WR's are off the board & the Chiefs can't trade down.

Seek
05-07-2014, 08:43 AM
I am perfectly fine with the Chiefs sticking to their board and taking the best player available. Not sure he is that guy, as he appears to be a Tyson Jackson 2.0, but who knows. It is a hole that can be filled. I would rather we go with Kyle Fuller who could play at NB and potentionally take Shawns Smiths position before season end. Specially with talks of trading Brandon Flowers, I think Corner is a need.

Ryfo18
05-07-2014, 01:20 PM
If going d-line, I'd rather have Nix at that spot to leave him and Poe to wreak havoc on the interior O-line. Poe can play some 5-technique on early downs and then you can have him and Nix line up at 3-technique on passing downs.

I don't know that Fuller fits Dorsey's mold of a CB, as the guys he's brought in have all been bigger CBs. I don't think they pass on Teddy if he's there though, like he is in this mock.

brdempsey69
05-07-2014, 02:07 PM
If going d-line, I'd rather have Nix at that spot to leave him and Poe to wreak havoc on the interior O-line. Poe can play some 5-technique on early downs and then you can have him and Nix line up at 3-technique on passing downs.

I don't know that Fuller fits Dorsey's mold of a CB, as the guys he's brought in have all been bigger CBs. I don't think they pass on Teddy if he's there though, like he is in this mock.

You mean that you "hope" they don't pass on Bridgewater. I hope they do. They'd be foolish to take Bridgewater at #23.

What does he bring that Tyler Bray doesn't? He's shorter than Bray and doesn't have as strong an arm. There is no QB worth drafting in round 1 this year, except Manziel.

Ryfo18
05-07-2014, 02:49 PM
You mean that you "hope" they don't pass on Bridgewater. I hope they do. They'd be foolish to take Bridgewater at #23.

What does he bring that Tyler Bray doesn't? He's shorter than Bray and doesn't have as strong an arm. There is no QB worth drafting in round 1 this year, except Manziel.

If height and a strong arm were all you needed to be a good quarterback, then all the Ryan Mallett's and Mike Glennon's would be the best QBs in the league.

Teddy has great pocket presence. His ability to move the pocket to avoid hits and buy himself time is oustanding. He doesn't get rattled when his first or second read isn't available. He has above average mobility as well to move the pocket. He can make all the throws. His deep ball accuracy is probably his biggest weakness, but he would flourish in an Andy Reid offense. Teddy does everything well, which I why I feel he is a definite 1st rounder, and yes, I don't think the Chiefs will pass on him, especially given the unwillingness they've shown to break the bank on Alex. Reid and Dorsey have both shown they aren't afraid to push an established starter (Favre, McNabb) out the door. If Teddy falls into their lap at 23, I do believe they'll take him.

brdempsey69
05-07-2014, 02:58 PM
If height and a strong arm were all you needed to be a good quarterback, then all the Ryan Mallett's and Mike Glennon's would be the best QBs in the league.

Teddy has great pocket presence. His ability to move the pocket to avoid hits and buy himself time is oustanding. He doesn't get rattled when his first or second read isn't available. He has above average mobility as well to move the pocket. He can make all the throws. His deep ball accuracy is probably his biggest weakness, but he would flourish in an Andy Reid offense. Teddy does everything well, which I why I feel he is a definite 1st rounder, and yes, I don't think the Chiefs will pass on him, especially given the unwillingness they've shown to break the bank on Alex. Reid and Dorsey have both shown they aren't afraid to push an established starter (Favre, McNabb) out the door. If Teddy falls into their lap at 23, I do believe they'll take him.

Both of those guys were in decline and nearing the ends of their careers. That's why they were let go. Also, there is no evidence that the Chiefs aren't willing to give Alex a good pay raise. They simply can't at his stage without freeing up some cap space first.

Drafting Bridgewater would be foolish. One scout rated him as a 4th rounder & there's reports all over the place about him falling out of round 1.

Ryfo18
05-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Both of those guys were in decline and nearing the ends of their careers. That's why they were let go. Also, there is no evidence that the Chiefs aren't willing to give Alex a good pay raise. They simply can't at his stage without freeing up some cap space first.

I would say the Chiefs being willing to draft a QB in round 1 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000346667/article/kansas-city-chiefs-consider-drafting-qb-in-first-round) is some evidence that they might not want to pay Alex. And given what QBs have gone for recently ($100M+ contracts with $55M+ guaranteed), I'd say that's more evidence. Sure, they'll give him a raise, but not what the recent market for starting QBs has indicated.

Drafting Bridgewater would be foolish. One scout rated him as a 4th rounder & there's reports all over the place about him falling out of round 1.

Cool. Another scout has him rated as a 1st rounder and there are reports all over the place about him getting drafted in round 1.

The media sucks when it comes to QBs. They called Brian Brohm better than Aaron Rodgers after Rodgers got drafted. They pushed Gabbert down everyone's throats. They said Nassib would go in the 1st round. E.J. Manuel was rarely talked about until a week before the draft last year. Brady Quinn was invited to the green room b/c of media hype. Colt McCoy. Tim Tebow. I'll keep going...

brdempsey69
05-07-2014, 08:22 PM
I would say the Chiefs being willing to draft a QB in round 1 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000346667/article/kansas-city-chiefs-consider-drafting-qb-in-first-round) is some evidence that they might not want to pay Alex. And given what QBs have gone for recently ($100M+ contracts with $55M+ guaranteed), I'd say that's more evidence. Sure, they'll give him a raise, but not what the recent market for starting QBs has indicated.

Cool. Another scout has him rated as a 1st rounder and there are reports all over the place about him getting drafted in round 1.

The media sucks when it comes to QBs. They called Brian Brohm better than Aaron Rodgers after Rodgers got drafted. They pushed Gabbert down everyone's throats. They said Nassib would go in the 1st round. E.J. Manuel was rarely talked about until a week before the draft last year. Brady Quinn was invited to the green room b/c of media hype. Colt McCoy. Tim Tebow. I'll keep going...

That being the case, it leads to the obvious question:

Why draft a QB at #23 when one isn't needed for this year, and next years QB class is said to be better, anyways?

And more questions:

Why dismiss Tyler Bray so soon? Did he really look that bad in the pre-season last year? And how does drafting a QB in round 1 guarantee that the said QB is going to be better than Bray ( I'd bet against it knowing the Chiefs history when it comes to drafting QB's like I do)?

Ryfo18
05-07-2014, 11:38 PM
That being the case, it leads to the obvious question:

Why draft a QB at #23 when one isn't needed for this year, and next years QB class is said to be better, anyways?

And more questions:

Why dismiss Tyler Bray so soon? Did he really look that bad in the pre-season last year? And how does drafting a QB in round 1 guarantee that the said QB is going to be better than Bray ( I'd bet against it knowing the Chiefs history when it comes to drafting QB's like I do)?

I don't know, why did the Packers draft Aaron Rodgers at 24 when they wouldn't need him for 3 years? If Dorsey sees a QB he likes and wants to take him, then I sure as hell hope he takes him at 23.

Next year's QB class is always better. They say that every year. Last year Tajh Boyd was going to be a 1st rounder, and now you don't even hear him talked about. With the exception of 2011, which was an out of this world class, next year's class is always touted as better. When next year comes, next year's class is again better.

I'm not dismissing Tyler Bray, I just don't know that I'm ready to put my eggs into the basket of the UDFA to be the QBOTF. I haven't hardly seen him in the NFL, his college tape is meh, and aside from a big arm (which is rarely a trait of Andy Reid QBs), I don't know that he offers much else. He's very immobile, another trait that Andy Reid's QBs tend to have. Sure, he could work, but that's a lot to put on the shoulders of a guy that 32 other teams passed on 7 times last year in the draft.

brdempsey69
05-08-2014, 12:42 AM
I don't know, why did the Packers draft Aaron Rodgers at 24 when they wouldn't need him for 3 years? If Dorsey sees a QB he likes and wants to take him, then I sure as hell hope he takes him at 23.

Next year's QB class is always better. They say that every year. Last year Tajh Boyd was going to be a 1st rounder, and now you don't even hear him talked about. With the exception of 2011, which was an out of this world class, next year's class is always touted as better. When next year comes, next year's class is again better.

I'm not dismissing Tyler Bray, I just don't know that I'm ready to put my eggs into the basket of the UDFA to be the QBOTF. I haven't hardly seen him in the NFL, his college tape is meh, and aside from a big arm (which is rarely a trait of Andy Reid QBs), I don't know that he offers much else. He's very immobile, another trait that Andy Reid's QBs tend to have. Sure, he could work, but that's a lot to put on the shoulders of a guy that 32 other teams passed on 7 times last year in the draft.

1. Like I had said, they knew Brett Favre was nearing the end, plus they didn't expect Rodgers to fall to them.

2. Incorrect. Nobody was saying the 2013 QB class was going to be better than 2012 QB class at any point in time. They don't say it every year.

3. Bray was passed on because of off-the field incidents. His being an UDFA is irrelevant. It's what he does in KC that really counts, regardless of whether he was drafted or not & they have time with him. If 3600 yards passing and 34 TD's as a junior is 'meh' in 2012 in the SEC, then sign me up, because if he matures under Andy Reid ( which I suspect he will ), the Chiefs have their QBOTF.

Bridgewater brings nothing to the table that Bray can't bring & drafting Bridgewater at #23 would be a wasted pick & I'll bet money that he becomes a BUST, just like the previous 17 they've drafted since 1970.

Ryfo18
05-08-2014, 01:28 AM
1. Like I had said, they knew Brett Favre was nearing the end, plus they didn't expect Rodgers to fall to them.

2. Incorrect. Nobody was saying the 2013 QB class was going to be better than 2012 QB class at any point in time. They don't say it every year.

3. Bray was passed on because of off-the field incidents. His being an UDFA is irrelevant. It's what he does in KC that really counts, regardless of whether he was drafted or not & they have time with him. If 3600 yards passing and 34 TD's as a junior is 'meh' in 2012 in the SEC, then sign me up, because if he matures under Andy Reid ( which I suspect he will ), the Chiefs have their QBOTF.

Bridgewater brings nothing to the table that Bray can't bring & drafting Bridgewater at #23 would be a wasted pick & I'll bet money that he becomes a BUST, just like the previous 17 they've drafted since 1970.

I meant 2012, I said 2011. Yes, the 2012 class was absurdly good. But last year at this time everyone was saying "Boyd, Manziel, Bridgewater, Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron!!!" (http://www.businessinsider.com/2014-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-2013-10#!KPM6q)

I'm aware that being a UDFA is somewhat irrelevant. But regardless, if teams think you have some talent at the QB position, they'll draft you. Mallett had similar off the field concerns in 2011, and he was taken in the 3rd. Regardless, Bray is a huge question mark for me at this point and Teddy is much more polished in my opinion.

I will gladly place a wager re: Teddy, but we have to define bust? If he's taken in the 1st round, I'd assume you'd expect him to be a starter throughout his entire rookie contract. So if he starts throughout his entire rookie contract, not a bust? Deal? How much are you comfortable wagering?

Ryfo18
05-08-2014, 01:42 AM
But to elaborate further on the above...I trust Dorsey/Reid. If they feel Bray can be the QBOTF, then by all means don't spend a 1st on one. If they don't, then Bridgewater is the guy if he's there at 23. We'll see how it plays out.

brdempsey69
05-08-2014, 02:55 AM
I meant 2012, I said 2011. Yes, the 2012 class was absurdly good. But last year at this time everyone was saying "Boyd, Manziel, Bridgewater, Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron!!!" (http://www.businessinsider.com/2014-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-2013-10#!KPM6q)

I'm aware that being a UDFA is somewhat irrelevant. But regardless, if teams think you have some talent at the QB position, they'll draft you. Mallett had similar off the field concerns in 2011, and he was taken in the 3rd. Regardless, Bray is a huge question mark for me at this point and Teddy is much more polished in my opinion.

I will gladly place a wager re: Teddy, but we have to define bust? If he's taken in the 1st round, I'd assume you'd expect him to be a starter throughout his entire rookie contract. So if he starts throughout his entire rookie contract, not a bust? Deal? How much are you comfortable wagering?

No, I mean that he doesn't keep a starting job as a Chiefs QB beyond his rookie contract, as none of them have. And you'd lose that bet already as far as the "starter throughout his entire rookie contract", because Teddy wouldn't start ahead of Alex this year. And the wager is $1000.00 cold quid

Seek
05-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Bray was passed on because his interviews with teams suggested that he was not very intelligent. He was a very talented QB who did things based on having better talent. A couple years with Andy and Alex Smith and he could become a great back up or possible starter. We also over paid for Chase Daniels. I don't see the Chiefs taking a QB despite any of this talk unless they are planning on letting Alex or Chase go.

I see the Chiefs paying Alex what he wants. You don't go an invest to 2nd rounders in him, go to the play offs, and then say. Sorry!!!! I really think all of the talks of taking a QB is a ploy to get other teams either interested in jumping ahead of the Chiefs to pick a QB so that a guy the Chiefs falls, or possibly as a negotiation bluff to get Alex to come down on his demands.

brdempsey69
05-08-2014, 09:20 AM
^^My thoughts exactly. It's just a smokescreen about Alex and about wanting a QB. In round 4 last year, the Eagles thought the Chiefs wanted Matt Barkley, so the Eagles traded ahead of them. Turns out that KC had no interest in Barkley and was planning on drafting Nico Johnson, all along.

Ryfo18
05-08-2014, 10:18 AM
[/B]No, I mean that he doesn't keep a starting job as a Chiefs QB beyond his rookie contract, as none of them have. And you'd lose that bet already as far as the "starter throughout his entire rookie contract", because Teddy wouldn't start ahead of Alex this year. And the wager is $1000.00 cold quid

You realize that the 17 prior have 0% to do with anyone the Chiefs draft in the future, right? It's a completely new organization, with two guys at the top that have drafted and developed quarterbacks.

Regardless, I thought we were talking about Teddy in general, not Teddy as a Chief. I don't like your definition, b/c is he still considered a bust if some team gives him a ridiculously large 2nd contract to be a starter and that team is not the Chiefs? If he's still starting after 5 years in the league, I would say that's not a bust.

brdempsey69
05-08-2014, 10:53 AM
You realize that the 17 prior have 0% to do with anyone the Chiefs draft in the future, right? It's a completely new organization, with two guys at the top that have drafted and developed quarterbacks.

I've heard that line umpteen times before of "new organization". It has not mattered what regime was in place, the abyssmal track record still stands. Even Don Klosterman failed on his choice of Pete Beathard in 1963, and Klosterman had a track record few GM's could match. In fact, Klosterman killed it in that 1963 draft with the other players he got. He was also successful drafting QB's for the Rams.

It doesn't matter what success Dorsey/Reid may have had elsewhere drafting QB's. It only means something if they have that same success in KC and I'll believe it when I see it.

Regardless, I thought we were talking about Teddy in general, not Teddy as a Chief. I don't like your definition, b/c is he still considered a bust if some team gives him a ridiculously large 2nd contract to be a starter and that team is not the Chiefs? If he's still starting after 5 years in the league, I would say that's not a bust.

If they draft Teddy in round 1 and he doesn't play at least 10 seasons in KC and become regarded as one of the games better QB's, then he is a failure -- just like Blackledge and Steve Fuller.

Ryfo18
05-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I've heard that line umpteen times before of "new organization". It has not mattered what regime was in place, the abyssmal track record still stands. Even Don Klosterman failed on his choice of Pete Beathard in 1963, and Klosterman had a track record few GM's could match. In fact, Klosterman killed it in that 1963 draft with the other players he got. He was also successful drafting QB's for the Rams.

It doesn't matter what success Dorsey/Reid may have had elsewhere drafting QB's. It only means something if they have that same success in KC and I'll believe it when I see it.

Regardless, the previous 17 QBs have nothing to do with the next QB drafted. Just like if you throw heads 17 times in a row, you're still just as likely to get a tails the next toss.

If they draft Teddy in round 1 and he doesn't play at least 10 seasons in KC and become regarded as one of the games better QB's, then he is a failure -- just like Blackledge and Steve Fuller.

Meh. Not interested in a 10+ year bet.

mayanfootball
05-08-2014, 11:47 AM
I'd be happy with a QB at #23. Our backup QB's frighten the heck outta me.

brdempsey69
05-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Regardless, the previous 17 QBs have nothing to do with the next QB drafted. Just like if you throw heads 17 times in a row, you're still just as likely to get a tails the next toss.

I've heard that one before, too. I've heard them all. Like I said, I'll believe it when see it, as far as KC successfully drafting a QB.

Seek
05-08-2014, 12:41 PM
I'd be happy with a QB at #23. Our backup QB's frighten the heck outta me.

Our start Guard, starting Free Safety and Depth at Oline and DE bother me a whole lot more than our Back up QB's. I would not be pleased at all taking a QB with the 23rd.

I have no problems throwing darts at Qb's in later rounds and hoping one is the next Tom Brady, but unless that QB is valued as the best player available that QB should be a starter next year and not looked at as a back up.

Bortnem
05-08-2014, 12:43 PM
I've heard that one before, too. I've heard them all. Like I said, I'll believe it when see it, as far as KC successfully drafting a QB.

You've heard it before because it is pure logic...what some old GMs have done has nothing to do with what a new GM will do...the fact that we havent drafted a successful QB in the past is not a prediction of how a new QB drafted will do for the Chiefs.

I believe the Red Sox had that same dumb superstition and look at that...they won the world series so its not impossible.

I mean does this mean that since we havent won a playoff game since 1993 that a team 20 years later is somehow "cursed" by the struggles of previous teams with none of the same players? Both this and the poor QB drafting is an anomaly but has no bearing on the future.

brdempsey69
05-08-2014, 12:55 PM
You've heard it before because it is pure logic...what some old GMs have done has nothing to do with what a new GM will do...the fact that we havent drafted a successful QB in the past is not a prediction of how a new QB drafted will do for the Chiefs.

I believe the Red Sox had that same dumb superstition and look at that...they won the world series so its not impossible.

I mean does this mean that since we havent won a playoff game since 1993 that a team 20 years later is somehow "cursed" by the struggles of previous teams with none of the same players? Both this and the poor QB drafting is an anomaly but has no bearing on the future.

I didn't say it was illogical. I just stated what the results have been & those results speak volumes.

One can use whatever analogy they want to, as has been done before, but the result is still the same until proven otherwise.

And the Chiefs don't need to waste a pick on a QB this year. They have a solid starter, a fair backup, and a young developing QBOTF. If it ain't broken, then don't try to fix it. They need other positions with those picks all across the board.

Seek
05-08-2014, 01:00 PM

I always love it when people throw up history, Like We are better than you because we won 6 superbowls. That does not make your team good today.

Fact of the point is that the draft status of QB's in the past failed because of the player picked. I don't recall ever picking a QB that we considered to be a Pro QB. Every Team has had failures, drafting QB's. Look at our division alone. Oakland recently has failed miserably with QB's, San Diego with Ryan Leaf and then letting Drew Breeze go and then drafting Eli Manning and trading him. Remember Eli refusing to play for San Diego because they were so horrible. Denver hasn't really landed one either. I guess Jay Cutler, but really????

Point is, It is hard to draft a starting QB regardless of team history.

Bortnem
05-08-2014, 01:19 PM
I always love it when people throw up history, Like We are better than you because we won 6 superbowls. That does not make your team good today.

Fact of the point is that the draft status of QB's in the past failed because of the player picked. I don't recall ever picking a QB that we considered to be a Pro QB. Every Team has had failures, drafting QB's. Look at our division alone. Oakland recently has failed miserably with QB's, San Diego with Ryan Leaf and then letting Drew Breeze go and then drafting Eli Manning and trading him. Remember Eli refusing to play for San Diego because they were so horrible. Denver hasn't really landed one either. I guess Jay Cutler, but really????

Point is, It is hard to draft a starting QB regardless of team history.

Completely agree

I didn't say it was illogical. I just stated what the results have been & those results speak volumes.

One can use whatever analogy they want to, as has been done before, but the result is still the same until proven otherwise.

And the Chiefs don't need to waste a pick on a QB this year. They have a solid starter, a fair backup, and a young developing QBOTF. If it ain't broken, then don't try to fix it. They need other positions with those picks all across the board.

I do agree with not drafting a QB now unless someone falls way deep in the draft. I was just saying that previous picks by previous regimes have no bearing on future picks. With that said, I would like us to take BPA and address other areas of this team.

brdempsey69
05-08-2014, 01:31 PM
I do agree with not drafting a QB now unless someone falls way deep in the draft. I was just saying that previous picks by previous regimes have no bearing on future picks. With that said, I would like us to take BPA and address other areas of this team.

You are 100% correct in your assessment that what's been done by previous regimes having no bearing on what this current regime does.

My point is that when your track record is that bad when it comes to drafting QB's ( 0 for 17 since 1970 ), regardless of the regime in place then you can't help but wonder "what the hell is going on" & you have to keep an open mind to acquiring QB's by other avenues of trade, FA, and UDFA -- which is precisely what the Chiefs did last year & thus far, it looks like it has worked for them.

If they can draft a good QB (perhaps next year) then great. I'd love nothing more than for the Chiefs to draft the next Joe Montana.