PDA

View Full Version : Webnews: Chiefs release cornerback Brandon Flowers

Coach
06-13-2014, 03:27 PM
By Darin Gantthttp://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/300x-84-e1379520659483.jpg?w=200&h=170&crop=1
Brandon Flowers wasn’t around for Chiefs OTAs. And now he won’t be around for any other activities either. The Chiefs announced they had released the high-priced cornerback Friday afternoon. Flowers was scheduled to make a $5.25 million this year, and because of those numbers, the Chiefs were willing to trade him. They’ll be able to split the…
Read more… (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/13/chiefs-release-cornerback-brandon-flowers/)

matthewschiefs
06-13-2014, 03:58 PM
WTF uggh we are going to have to score a trillion points

AkChief49
06-13-2014, 04:01 PM
We all knew something was up when he was not at OTA's. To sign Houston someone had to go. It sucks it was a top 5 corner.

jap1
06-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Wow. Really didn't think they would go through with it. I guess where there is smoke there is fire. I hope Cooper is ready. More importantly, I wonder who is going to play the slot?!

I hope to hear news about Houston and/or Smith getting extensions soon.

Bortnem
06-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Im fine with the decision to part ways with Brandon. I loved having him as a Chief the past 6 years, but he did not fit the new system. However, I cannot believe we did not trade him. I mean seriously no one would take on his contract for even a 7th round pick? I think he would have been worth 3-4 range but even a 7th would be something in return. By cutting him we get nothing. Very stupid decision IMO.

brdempsey69
06-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Not liking this at all. Flowers was the best cover guy in the Chiefs secondary. This is going to hurt & add to it, the Chiefs got nothing in return for him.

jap1
06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Im fine with the decision to part ways with Brandon. I loved having him as a Chief the past 6 years, but he did not fit the new system. However, I cannot believe we did not trade him. I mean seriously no one would take on his contract for even a 7th round pick? I think he would have been worth 3-4 range but even a 7th would be something in return. By cutting him we get nothing. Very stupid decision IMO.

The fact that this happened so late in the offseason likely means there were zero takers for a trade. It is rare nowadays for teams to trade for people with big cap numbers, because they know the team will likely just realese the player.

jason1981
06-13-2014, 05:22 PM
This could means an extension is coming for houston. Im perty sure with this being such a late release that they tried to trade him.

Eydugstr
06-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Not liking this at all. Flowers was the best cover guy in the Chiefs secondary. This is going to hurt & add to it, the Chiefs got nothing in return for him.

Agreed. While he didn't fit our system getting nothing for Flowers in return sucks. Does this mean we'll get another compensatory pick though?

Texaschief's words of "Why would Dorsey or Reid risk their fortunes on someone else's draft picks..." keep coming to mind.

brdempsey69
06-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Agreed. While he didn't fit our system getting nothing for Flowers in return sucks. Does this mean we'll get another compensatory pick though?

Texaschief's words of "Why would Dorsey or Reid risk their fortunes on someone else's draft picks..." keep coming to mind.

Nope, they won't get a compensatory pick for this.

ctchiefsfan
06-14-2014, 06:11 AM
Well.....One thing is for CERTAIN......This is now a Reid-Dorsey Chiefs team. We bought the ticket for the ride and now we'll see if the ride is as good as the money we paid for the ticket.

A bit scary to my way of thinking, but I guess I just have to trust Reid and Dorsey.

ctchiefsfan
06-14-2014, 06:20 AM
WTF uggh we are going to have to score a trillion points

I do believe that is the plan. Sure as hell hope we can do it.

#58ChiefsFan
06-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Anyone heard if he was supposed to be fully healed from the knee issues he was having?

rodu
06-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Will teams even bother to run against us?

Frankenchief
06-14-2014, 11:08 AM
We released him so we won't get any compensation in draft choices for him. Am I correct?

rodu
06-14-2014, 11:17 AM
We released him so we won't get any compensation in draft choices for him. Am I correct?

I believe so but I also think we were at our max for compensation anyways

Frankenchief
06-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Max can be changed by signing FAs.

Bike
06-14-2014, 03:26 PM
No takers. They tried.

Pro_Angler
06-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Duck this team funk this stupid *** bs mother fueling retarded owner! !!! They are trying to lose from before thecdraft!!!!

Pro_Angler
06-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Funk this stupid *** punk kid owner!!!!! Funk you hunt pos mother ****er

Pro_Angler
06-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Funk you hunt!!!

Pro_Angler
06-14-2014, 03:46 PM
5 mile a year ain't shot for for 5 corner!!! Funk you!!! HUNT!!! **** BIATCH!!!

Frankenchief
06-14-2014, 05:11 PM
No takers. They tried.

Duck this team funk this stupid *** bs mother fueling retarded owner! !!! They are trying to lose from before thecdraft!!!!
Blame Pioli for the big contract.

Eydugstr
06-14-2014, 05:28 PM

Funk you hunt!!!

5 mile a year ain't shot for for 5 corner!!! Funk you!!! HUNT!!! **** BIATCH!!!

Don't hold back, PA. Tell us how you really feel....

While I liked Flowers, somebody's going to get a good CB, and it sucks we couldn't get something for him....The sky isn't falling.

Pro_Angler
06-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Yes it is!!! That was one of our biggest needs this year..another corner..now we have zero!!!

jason1981
06-14-2014, 07:07 PM
What do you want them to do? Flowers wasnt showing up and wasnt happy. He didnt like moving to the inside. Plus he wasnt that good in our style of defense. He shouldnt have made the pro bowl last year. Why was flowers holding out? Was he wanting mpre money that he wasnt worth or was he unhappy with his role at nickel back? Either way he was the one that forced the chiefs. We tried to trade him hut no takers.

Miller
06-14-2014, 07:23 PM

This....

Why didn't we trade him? Was he hurt? Something had to be up for us to get nothing

Frankenchief
06-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Why didn't we trade him? Trades need two sides agreeing. We agreed to trade him. But because of potential trade partners fear of his big contract we couldn't get anyone to bite. Pioli gave flowers the aforementioned big contract. Dorsey's hands were tied. People here act like Dorsey could have snapped his finfers and trade partners would line up. AMAZING!

brdempsey69
06-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Trades need two sides agreeing. We agreed to trade him. But because of potential trade partners fear of his big contract we couldn't get anyone to bite. Pioli gave flowers the aforementioned big contract. Dorsey's hands were tied. People here act like Dorsey could have snapped his finfers and trade partners would line up. AMAZING!

True, and that was my biggest fear was that he wasn't going to have any takers for a trade because of his salary. Same with Bowe and Hali. Pioli did give the big contract to Flowers that should have been more in line with what Pioli gave to DJ and Charles.

Now, of course, they released him with getting nothing in return.

Eydugstr
06-14-2014, 10:24 PM
This....

Why didn't we trade him? Was he hurt? Something had to be up for us to get nothing

Wouldn't be surprised to learn that a team considered it, but also thought..."Wait a sec, they'll probably release him anyway."

rodu
06-14-2014, 10:30 PM
well, at least we'll get a top ten pick next year with all those bonus picks

Frankenchief
06-14-2014, 11:40 PM
well, at least we'll get a top ten pick next year with all those bonus picks

Well I really don't think we get compensation for a player we voluntarily release.

ctchiefsfan
06-15-2014, 02:08 AM

Angler......I think you are being a little harsh. This latest move causes me a lot of concerns, but I can not blame it on Hunt. As I mentioned above, this is now a Dorsey-Reid team. For better or for worse. Those two guys are scaring the crap out of me with some of their moves. But every time I want to yell and scream I think back to last year and say to myself......"Reid gets a whole lot out of his players. More than most any coach around. Maybe....just maybe....he can build us a championship team with a bunch of kids and castoffs."

Maybe I am crazy. Usually I am. But I think that last year the Reid-Dorsey team EARNED the right to do things their way for at least a few years.

nigeriannightmare
06-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Brandon had a great run in KC, but he was slowing down. That's a healthy contract that no other team would take on so that says something. The business of football blows. But better to be a year early in releasing than a year later.

rodu
06-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Well I really don't think we get compensation for a player we voluntarily release.

the extra picks were for the other guys we lost via free agency

jason1981
06-15-2014, 01:40 PM

I think he meant we will be picking in The top 10 in the draft next year. Its to early to tell right now. What till end of preseason to make a guess.

texaschief
06-15-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm predicting a sub .500 record for the Chiefs this season... but I was predicting that before the release of Flowers. The Chiefs need to re-sign Houston, let Alex Smith walk, and release/trade Hali after this season. This past season was a peak year for the Chiefs. I know y'all don't want to hear it, but it's time for another rebuilding season or two. The silver lining of all this is that it is no longer Scott Pioli and Todd Haley who are doing the rebuild. If the Chiefs HAVE to go through another overhaul, I trust Dorsey and Reid MUCH MUCH more than the last idiotic duo.

It's ridiculous to think there won't be a roster turnover with a new regime in place. The last guys running things no longer have a job because their decision-making was horrid... you think the new guys are gonna roll with those decisions? Those of you who think Flowers was a top 5 CB are delusional. There's at least 25 CBs I'd rather have instead of Flowers. Get a hold of yourself.

brdempsey69
06-15-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm not advocating that Flowers was a top-5 CB. He wasn't. But, at present he was the Chiefs best cover guy & it sucked having to let him go and get nothing in return.

Notwithstanding, Dorsey/Reid are doing the right thing drafting bigger and faster guys for the Chiefs secondary like Commings and Gaines. But they'll need to draft at least three more guys like that to fill out their secondary. Luckily, they'll have extra picks in 2015 to do it.

texaschief
06-15-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm not advocating that Flowers was a top-5 CB. He wasn't. But, at present he was the Chiefs best cover guy & it sucked having to let him go and get nothing in return.

Notwithstanding, Dorsey/Reid are doing the right thing drafting bigger and faster guys for the Chiefs secondary like Commings and Gaines. But they'll need to draft at least three more guys like that to fill out their secondary. Luckily, they'll have extra picks in 2015 to do it.

His salary is too high for his level of productivity. Would you still think it was for nothing if they could extend Smith or Houston? The Chiefs gained several million in cap space this year and next year. I'm sure that money will be put to good use. Just because he was released, it doesn't make this transaction a zero-sum move.

brdempsey69
06-15-2014, 06:42 PM
His salary is too high for his level of productivity. Would you still think it was for nothing if they could extend Smith or Houston? The Chiefs gained several million in cap space this year and next year. I'm sure that money will be put to good use. Just because he was released, it doesn't make this transaction a zero-sum move.

I didn't say it was TOTALLY for nothing. I said that I wished they could have gotten something in return for him, such as a draft pick or player ( like getting Sherman in the Arenas trade). But, Pioli's overspending on Flowers negated that.

ctchiefsfan
06-15-2014, 10:01 PM
There it is. That rotten little creep Pissoli has been gone about 16 months but his lousy decisions are STILL costing us.

Seek
06-16-2014, 09:10 AM
So everyone is freaking out about this, yet he was a liability for us last year. Nothing has really changed which is the bad news, but Flowers does not improve this situation unless they were talking ab out cutting Sean Smith and moving flowers back out. Marcus Cooper was the best corner we had last year which is why Flowers was moved to NB. He failed at NB so the Chiefs went out and got one in Owens, who ironically got hurt the day the Chiefs cut ways with Flowers.

For all we know, Flowers forced this on the Chiefs by requesting a trade.

But just to prepare all you very upset people. Next on the block to leave. Eric Berry and Tamba Hali, start preparing yourselves now.

Seek
06-16-2014, 09:14 AM
There it is. That rotten little creep Pissoli has been gone about 16 months but his lousy decisions are STILL costing us.

It is not Pioli's fault that Dorsey over paid the players he signed last year, like Bowe, Colquitt, Devito or Daniel, Sean Smith or Dunta Robinson. Dorsey put himself in this cap issue and I believe he is learning from his rookie mistakes.

Seek
06-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Funk you hunt!!!

While I understand your frustration, I don't understand the need to blister the owner with intentional wording to curse him out preventing the filters over and over in multiple threads. I think we got your point the first two or three times.

Eydugstr
06-16-2014, 10:01 AM
So everyone is freaking out about this, yet he was a liability for us last year. Nothing has really changed which is the bad news, but Flowers does not improve this situation unless they were talking ab out cutting Sean Smith and moving flowers back out. Marcus Cooper was the best corner we had last year which is why Flowers was moved to NB. He failed at NB so the Chiefs went out and got one in Owens, who ironically got hurt the day the Chiefs cut ways with Flowers.

But just to prepare all you very upset people. Next on the block to leave. Eric Berry and Tamba Hali, start preparing yourselves now.

Would definitely agree with you about Cooper. Unfortunately the pass rush went to poop before Cooper could develop more. Once the pass rush went away, our secondary was pretty much exposed.

Seek
06-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Would definitely agree with you about Cooper. Unfortunately the pass rush went to poop before Cooper could develop more. Once the pass rush went away, our secondary was pretty much exposed.

A lot of that was huge plays where the safety and corner were beat deep in man to man and I think Flowers was a victim a bunch of times but so was Smith. Still they got very little safety help.

texaschief
06-16-2014, 01:52 PM

I agree that there will be some serious roster turnover. However, I'm not so sure about Berry being one of those guys. I understand there is a good possibility that he could be traded away (especially if the Chiefs are offered a nice package in return), but my gut tells me that he'll end up staying.

jap1
06-16-2014, 02:52 PM
I agree that there will be some serious roster turnover. However, I'm not so sure about Berry being one of those guys. I understand there is a good possibility that he could be traded away (especially if the Chiefs are offered a nice package in return), but my gut tells me that he'll end up staying.

I agree that I think this front office really likes Berry and the versatility he brings. They use him like a LB in obvious passing situations. People think he gets beat by TEs a lot, but in reality he only gets beat by the top tier TEs in the league that NOBODY can stop (Im talking Antonio Gates). It would be really hard to replace his production.

That being said, his contract is coming to an end, and he is going to want a(nother) payday. He is a multiple pro-bowl player. I doubt he will take a smaller or even equal contract to what he has now. I wouldnt be surprised if we cannot pay him what he wants, and someone else does.

ctchiefsfan
06-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Since releasing Flowers was basically a salary cap move can anyone tell me with any certainty how much cap room we created for this year
with this move? I've heard numbers from $7 million to as high as $10 million.

Gotta say one thing though. If this move was the only way for us to get Justin Houston to sign an extension then it was almost certainly necessary.

texaschief
06-16-2014, 03:01 PM
I think we had 2mil available before the move. The release of Flowers saved us somewhere around 5.3 or so. So, 7mil sounds about right.

ctchiefsfan
06-16-2014, 03:07 PM
I think we had 2mil available before the move. The release of Flowers saved us somewhere around 5.3 or so. So, 7mil sounds about right.

That would be a disappointment. The lowest number I had heard yet was that this saved us $7 million so I was thinking we were up to at least $9 million in available cap space.

jap1
06-16-2014, 04:48 PM
That would be a disappointment. The lowest number I had heard yet was that this saved us $7 million so I was thinking we were up to at least $9 million in available cap space.

He saved us about $7.5 million. We had ~$2.5mil in space and now have about $10mil.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/

texaschief
06-16-2014, 04:58 PM
$9.7, apparently. (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/6/16/5815454/kansas-city-chiefs-salary-cap-space-brandon-flowers)

jason1981
06-16-2014, 05:06 PM
I think the ext for houston will come any day now. Alex smiths contract will take care of itself for this year if they were to extend him now. His base will stay the same but they will add bonus and whag not to make up. So if they were cutting flowers so they can extend someone it would be houston.

ctchiefsfan
06-16-2014, 05:41 PM
He saved us about $7.5 million. We had ~$2.5mil in space and now have about $10mil.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/

$9.7, apparently. (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/6/16/5815454/kansas-city-chiefs-salary-cap-space-brandon-flowers)

Those two numbers sound A LOT BETTER! I believe that would put us in the top 50% of all teams when it comes to cap space. Gives us some room to manouever.

I don't like losing Flowers, but if that was the cost of getting Houston extended then I think it was the right decision.

Last year our secondary looked decent when we got pressure on the QB. But when we didn't our secondary got torched. Hoping Ford can step right in this year.

Seek
06-17-2014, 12:40 PM
So Adam Teicher was just on and made the comment that he believe the Chiefs were trying to work out a new deal with Brandon Flowers but once they realized they couldn't trade him and a new contract would never happen they finally let him go for cap reason.

I guess the Chiefs could have let him go back in March or any time after and designated him a June 1 cut and still saved on the salary cap. So the fact they didn't part ways with him until 6/13 meant they tried to retain him but finally exhausted their options and cutting him before mandatory camp eliminated the risk of him getting hurt.

ctchiefsfan
06-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Still SUCKS! I guess the days when a good player stayed with one team for his entire career are well and truly over. One of the unpleasant side effects of the salary cap I guess.

matthewschiefs
06-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Still SUCKS! I guess the days when a good player stayed with one team for his entire career are well and truly over. One of the unpleasant side effects of the salary cap I guess.

While I do think those days are over for the most part I don't think it's an effect of the salary cap

Just look at baseball no cap and it is VERY rare probably even more rare then in football outside of the big market teams. If there was no cap the Giants and Jets would just take everyones players pretty much

I for one love the salary cap being a fan of the Cleveland Indians makes you really thankful for the cap in other sports. I have watched so many guys that the Indians brought up and made into stars go play for the Yanks,sox ect. I love the cap

ctchiefsfan
06-20-2014, 10:59 PM
I am not suggesting the cap should be eliminated. Just pointing out one of the unfortunate side-effects. I have to believe fans are catching on. Why would you pay BIG $$$ for a player's jersey when you know damned well that that player will be playing for another team in 2-4 years?

jason1981
06-21-2014, 12:54 AM
I am not suggesting the cap should be eliminated. Just pointing out one of the unfortunate side-effects. I have to believe fans are catching on. Why would you pay BIG $$$ for a player's jersey when you know damned well that that player will be playing for another team in 2-4 years?

Thats why iv only bought one jersey before and thats only cuz I got a deal who was able to get it for me for 30 bucks and still only did it cuz I went to my 1st chiefs game. The only time il buy one is for a franchise qb of we ever get one. My son likes the patriots cuz tom brady is his guy so I got him a tom brady one. But do you really need to buy them?

matthewschiefs
06-21-2014, 01:30 AM

I knew what you were saying I just don't think the salary cap makes a huge difference in the movement of players

In a cap system teams have to let guys go to stay under the cap

In a uncapped system The big markets use the small markets like a farm system. They have the advantage. I don't think it would be as big as it is in baseball for football to have an uncapped sytem but the big market teams would still have a bit of an advantage.

But in both systems you would see a lot of player movement