PDA

View Full Version : Webnews: Plaintiff in Redskins patent case urges Chiefs to change

Coach
06-26-2014, 01:44 PM
By Michael David Smith http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpw jjmjuym2y4mgywoda4zdgwywe0ngnmyjiwzme3otnh.jpeg?w= 200&h=170&crop=1
The Washington Redskins aren’t the only NFL team whose name bothers some Native Americans. The Kansas City Chiefs should also change their name to avoid giving offense, according to Amanda Blackhorse, the lead plaintiff in the case that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office just decided against the Redskins. “I’m not sure there’s anything the…
Read more… (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/26/plaintiff-in-redskins-patent-case-urges-chiefs-to-change-their-name/)

matthewschiefs
06-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Will someone explain to me how Chiefs is offensive. It's a position in the tribe. That's not an insult this woman is just trying to get attention or money GO AWAY blackhorse

Pro_Angler
06-26-2014, 03:08 PM
these guys can eat poop. if they think we will change our name...

jap1
06-26-2014, 03:36 PM
I get the Redskins compaints. But to complain about the Chiefs? This is going to get zero traction from the public (I hope).

slc chief
06-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Wow what about commander in chief or chief executive this lady is high should be drug tested

matthewschiefs
06-26-2014, 04:50 PM
Wow what about commander in chief or chief executive this lady is high should be drug tested

Just wants attention and or Money

And to her I say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipWoX9xL2No

Lewis_Chiefs
06-26-2014, 05:26 PM
They can do one, people are stupid if they can't see the difference between the Redskins name and the Chiefs. The problem these days is that everyone seems to find a way to be offended by something or other, where will it stop ?

jason1981
06-26-2014, 07:45 PM
She just hurt her case for the redskins now. Now shes showing her true colors thats she is just after money and attention cuz her excuse for redskins thats its a slur and racial but with the chiefs its not so she has no excuse to go after the chiefs. I wouldnt be suprised to see the judge dismiss it all. Or atleast thats what I would do. I dont see and never thought of redskins being a slur. I bet everyone thinks of indians and dont know what the meaning is and who cares. They just lost all merrit for their case in my book.

#58ChiefsFan
06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
610 sports has a podcast of Danny Parkins talking about this on 6-25. The argument looks to be more about the "mocking" of their culture with the tomahawk chop and the other Indian related things the fan base does, some of it queued by the organization.

I think the belief is that if the name is changed that the "offensive" behavior would stop.

If you haven't heard Parkins take it's worth a listen.

tornadospotter
06-26-2014, 09:31 PM
I find many things offensive about this entire thing. I am a all american, my family is pre revolutionary war, so I have all kinds of mixed blood in my family. Kiss my behind, and take your name changing buffalo excrement and shovel back to where it came from Amanda Blackhorse. It is you that is making all this racist or derogatory, instead you should feel the opposite. You should feel honored that your heritage is being remembered.

Eydugstr
06-26-2014, 11:01 PM
If people really want to do the Native American population some good, book a trip to South Dakota, check out Crazy Horse, make a donation. They're planning on building a university there for native americans. Beautiful area, especially in the summertime.

Jumping up and down over a getting a rich guy to change the name of his business will change nothing but letters.

ctchiefsfan
06-27-2014, 01:53 AM
I hate the Redskins. Have ever since I lived in DC for 22 years. That said, I'm old enough to remember the old western moves from the 60's and it's pretty easy to see how some Native Americans could get offended by the name "Redskins". Personally, I think it's BS that people feel the need to make a federal case out of it every time their feelings get butthurt. But yeah...I can some feelings getting hurt of that team's name.

But Chiefs is a whole different matter. Chief is a term of great respect. And anyone that finds the term offensive is just so full of crap that it's leaking out their ears.

And as for Ms. Blackhorse......I hope she gets stomped to death by a black horse! And just in case anyone is getting all nervous I am not suggesting I actually want her dead. I just want her to shut up and go away.

tornadospotter
06-27-2014, 03:00 AM
I hate the Redskins. Have ever since I lived in DC for 22 years. That said, I'm old enough to remember the old western moves from the 60's and it's pretty easy to see how some Native Americans could get offended by the name "Redskins". Personally, I think it's BS that people feel the need to make a federal case out of it every time their feelings get butthurt. But yeah...I can some feelings getting hurt of that team's name.

But Chiefs is a whole different matter. Chief is a term of great respect. And anyone that finds the term offensive is just so full of crap that it's leaking out their ears.

And as for Ms. Blackhorse......I hope she gets stomped to death by a black horse! And just in case anyone is getting all nervous I am not suggesting I actually want her dead. I just want her to shut up and go away..
Why do you dislike the word redskins, if you do? I dislike the fact that I am called a cracker by some, I take offense that some of different color of skin say you can not use a certain word, but they use it all the time. So it is okay they use a word that if I use it, it is racist.
It is all a bunch of bovine excrement! All need to grow up and let the past be, move forward in life! We all struggled in life to get thru life. We all die, when it is over.

Seek
06-27-2014, 08:52 AM
I don't see the Chiefs, their Symbol or even the stadium Arrowhead as an insult in anyway. If anything it is a compliment. specific to the Oceola Seminoles. Specially when Kc has picked their team names around persons of power, such as the Royals, Kings, Monarchs, Chiefs.

If they are going to attack the Chiefs next, they might want to put the Boy Scouts on their list as well.

ctchiefsfan
06-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Why do you dislike the word redskins, if you do? I dislike the fact that I am called a cracker by some, I take offense that some of different color of skin say you can not use a certain word, but they use it all the time. So it is okay they use a word that if I use it, it is racist.
It is all a bunch of bovine excrement! All need to grow up and let the past be, move forward in life! We all struggled in life to get thru life. We all die, when it is over.

No....the term redskins does not offend me. Not in the least. I was just saying that having grown up in the '60's and watched MANY westerns where native americans were often referred to as "dirty redkins", "thieving redskins" "drunken redskins" and many similar phrases I can understand how some may be offended by the term. But I think this business of making it a federal case every time someone is offended is offensive and a gross intrusion on the part of government into people's personal and private business affairs. And it offends the hell out of me.

I'm a gun owner. I hunt, I target shoot and I shoot clay pigeons. I've owned guns for over 55 years. And every time someone who favors gun control starts going on about how dangerous, fanatic etc etc etc gun owners are then I am DEEPLY offended. Where is the lawyer who will sue those politicians for me on a contingency basis? I've been deeply hurt and offended by a bunch of anti-gun politicians and certainly I'm entitled to a few million dollars to make up for the way my government has offended me.

Only seems fair to me.

So you see, I agree with you. But I do understand how the name "redskins" might cause offense to some. But as I said, anyone who finds the Chiefs name offensive is clearly so full of whale poop that it is leaking out their ears and will soon be leaking out of their scalp!

OOOPS!!!! The use of the term "scalp" has probably offended Ms. Blackhorse.

I challenge anyone to show me where in the Constitution of the United States it guarantees that everybody has the right to never be offended. I've read the constitution more than a time of two and somehow I have NEVER found the part that says everyone has a legal right to never be offended.

matthewschiefs
06-27-2014, 01:29 PM

And as for Ms. Blackhorse......I hope she gets stomped to death by a black horse! And just in case anyone is getting all nervous I am not suggesting I actually want her dead. I just want her to shut up and go away.

THIS

Ms. Blackhorse is going to run into a giant problem in her efforts to change these names. Do you know there are native american schools who use the team name Redskins. Heres the website of one of them http://rmusdhs.ss4.sharpschool.com/

Maybe Ms.Blackhorse should start her fight there.

azchiefsfan
07-02-2014, 12:40 PM
I hope the Hunts have the balls to tell her to go to hell and not even give one of those "we at the Chiefs are sympathetic...blah, blah" statements. That bee atch is also trying to get our County to change from "Cochise County". Our county is named in HONOR of the Chiricauha chief who was never defeated in battle by the US and Mexican armies. My great grandmother was a member of his Southern band. To hell with this woman! To hell with all these weenie, professionally outraged!

Pro_Angler
07-08-2014, 02:00 PM
hunt doesnt have any balls!!! have you seen this teams off season??? he needs to be replaced with a real owner!!!!!!!!!!

matthewschiefs
07-08-2014, 03:50 PM
hunt doesnt have any balls!!! have you seen this teams off season??? he needs to be replaced with a real owner!!!!!!!!!!

There was a good time that I would agree with this. But now I greatly thank Clark Hunt for what he has done. Being a fan of the Cleveland Indians has shown me what a bad owner does. It gets WAY WAY worse then Clark

kcvet
07-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Reid and his storm troopers will decide who's offensive and who isn't

IMO the word Washington is far more offensive and should be removed

ctchiefsfan
07-08-2014, 10:49 PM
There was a good time that I would agree with this. But now I greatly thank Clark Hunt for what he has done. Being a fan of the Cleveland Indians has shown me what a bad owner does. It gets WAY WAY worse then Clark

Y'know.....just my dumb-assed opinion, but Clark Hunt (damned young punk) got us Andy Reid and John Dorsey. And I think it's the best coach/management team we've had in a LONG time. Clark Hunt is OK in my books. And while I expect this year will hurt I think we are on the right track with Reid/Dorsey.

jason1981
07-09-2014, 12:26 PM
I think we are on the right track. I think we will be a better this year eve if our record dont show it. We still need some ugrades to be a true contender but it looks promising.

ctchiefsfan
07-09-2014, 01:19 PM
I think we are on the right track. I think we will be a better this year eve if our record dont show it. We still need some ugrades to be a true contender but it looks promising.

That is EXACTLY RIGHT! Let's remember that not so long ago our Chiefs were a team in COMPLETE DISARRAY. We had a fair amount of good players but our overall record for 2006 (9-7), 2007 (4-12), 2008 (2-14), 2009 (4-12), 2010 (10-6-playoff loss), 2011 (7-9), 2012 (2-14), 2013 (11-5) was a combined 49-89. Take away the first Reid/Dorsey year and our record for the previous 7 years was 38-84. A 33% win ratio. Pretty poor in this era of "parity".

With the hiring of Reid and Dorsey we have truly cleaned house. Smart guys that they are, their first year they didn't "blow the team up"....instead they used the players we had, added a few pieces and got us an 11-5 record and a whisker away from a playoff win. They showed Clark Hunt what "could be".

This year we have been strangled by the salary cap and we got hammered in Free Agency. And Reid and Dorsey have done what a new management team usually does in the first year....Blow the team up. And as always when that happens we will suffer for it this year. I'm hoping for 9-7 or 8-8....but I wouldn't bet the mortgage on either. We've got a tough schedule and we lost a lot of better players.

But we are going to get a lot of compensatory picks next year and we are going to be a younger and cheaper team with so many players working for rookie contracts. That means that going forward we are going to have the cap space to do some things in Free Agency.

The 2014 season WILL NOT be what we'd like, but 2015 will be better....maybe a playoff appearance. 2016 will be "the year". We'll make the playoffs, win our first round game and have a decent chance of making the AFC Championship game.

We have good management, good coaching and the Chiefs are headed in the right direction!!!

JPPT1974
07-10-2014, 01:30 AM
It will stay the Chiefs. Unless something happens. Or a miracle does. As no need to change it.