PDA

View Full Version : OK now I'm officially worried about Fisher!

Frankenchief
08-17-2014, 09:57 PM
I have been a fan and have supported him all along. Last week he didn't look good and I chalked it up to lack of camp practice. Tonight he looks like a highschool 2nd stringer trying to play in the NFL!!! ... It's painful to watch! http://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/frown.gif

Somebody tell me why I should not be worried.

matthewschiefs
08-17-2014, 10:02 PM
I have said all offseason I think they have set Fisher up to fail with how they have manged him since drafting him

But if there is 1 reason not to hit the panic button long term it is that he did improve at LT like he did over the year at RT. But I really still hate how they have manged him

brdempsey69
08-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Wait until the season is over until you pass judgement. It's only his 2nd start as a pro at LT.

Frankenchief
08-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Oh I'm not passing judgement. I'm just getting worried. I love to see him succeed. But The lack of progress (yes from week 1 to week 2 of preseason) is a bit alarming.

Frankenchief
08-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Having said that, if memory serves me right, John Alt didn't look very good early either.

brdempsey69
08-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Having said that, if memory serves me right, John Alt didn't look very good early either.

Quite correct about Alt. As for Fisher, we'll just have to see how he progresses as the season goes on. I don't think he'll be as bad as Albert was in his 2nd season in 2009, but like yourself, I want to see better than what we've seen thus far this preseason.

Speaking of O-Lineman, I have liked what I've seen from the Chiefs last draft pick in 2014, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif and I predict he'll be displacing Jeff Allen at LG in the not-too-distant future.

Eydugstr
08-18-2014, 03:47 AM
It wasn't a good night for anyone on the O-line, but in their defense...The Panthers had a very tough D last year.

While I don't think that Fisher is being set up to fail, do think that having to go into surgery without a proper offseason didn't help his cause at all.

KCMASS
08-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Franken: You're so correct about John Alt. I called him the "Mountain Man" back in the day. Back then I thought we had the best O-line ever in Chiefs history. I like everyone's thoughts about Fisher. Let's give him some more time & see he how he progresses.

ctchiefsfan
08-18-2014, 11:43 AM
I think that everyone should have "cause for concern" about Fisher....and rightly so. For that matter, I think there is "cause for concern" about this entire season. Say what you will about the players we lost in Free Agency but no matter how you slice it we lost 4 starters in Free Agency and none of them were guys that just barely made the team. They were all important parts of last year's team. I don't think any of them were worth the money they got by moving but all of them were better than average players. Same applies to Flowers. That makes 5 starters we lost. 10% of a 53 man roster.

So yeah there is plenty of "cause for concern". Gotta say though....we have a much more capable coach than we've had in a long time. I can't think of too many other coaches I'd want to try to pull this team into a winning formula.

No doubt this is a rebuilding team. No matter how this season turns out, remember that Dorsey and Reid are going to have a lot of draft picks to play with next year (11 I think) and that will give them a lot of flexibility. They can use them to trade up in the draft or to try to trade for experienced players.I don't think we'll do as well this year as last, but I suspect 2015-2020 are going to be very good years.

kcvet
08-18-2014, 01:08 PM
he was flagged for 2 holding calls. one a drive killer. yeah im worried

Seek
08-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Again, I ask the question. If he was not the #1 overall draft pick last year. Would those still optomisitc with the Wait and see approach still have this kind of patience and excuse making for a guy struggling this bad.

They guy was drafted based on his potential as a superior athlete from any other Tackle in this draft. So what does he do on a pitch that he pulled to the left. He lowers his head and whiffs on a corner. Who ends up making the play. If he is a superior athlete from those of Luke Joeckel. Why is he trying to hit a corner in the legs instead of making him a bug on his face mask as he plows through him. I can give him patients for being beat in one on one against one of the best D lineman in the league but that play. Why? What? and HUH????

Again, My choice in favor is Donald Stephenson who isn't looking great at RT, but at least he held his own at LT in previous years.

I am worried about the whole line but I still feel moving Fisher to LT vs RT is a huge mistake.

slc chief
08-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Its the defensive backs I am worried about. Parker looked totally lost out there. Smith wasn't much better. I get the feeling they are planning on our pass rush to hide our In experience in the secondary. Not a great plan imo with manning and rivers in the division. But it is only pre season so plenty of time to get things improved

brdempsey69
08-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Again, I ask the question. If he was not the #1 overall draft pick last year. Would those still optomisitc with the Wait and see approach still have this kind of patience and excuse making for a guy struggling this bad.

There isn't a choice for the time being. They have to let him play through it, at least for this year. People did have the patience with Albert in 2009 and 2010 when he was playing like a complete turnstile and struggled much worse than Fisher is doing now, so it's only fair to give Fisher that same chance to see if he can step it up and improve.

They guy was drafted based on his potential as a superior athlete from any other Tackle in this draft. So what does he do on a pitch that he pulled to the left. He lowers his head and whiffs on a corner. Who ends up making the play. If he is a superior athlete from those of Luke Joeckel. Why is he trying to hit a corner in the legs instead of making him a bug on his face mask as he plows through him. I can give him patients for being beat in one on one against one of the best D lineman in the league but that play. Why? What? and HUH????

There was no excuse for that, as I've seen Fisher roadgrade DB's before plenty of times and there was no excuse for him not doing it on that play. Coaches really need to reprimand him for that failure.

Again, My choice in favor is Donald Stephenson who isn't looking great at RT, but at least he held his own at LT in previous years.

I am worried about the whole line but I still feel moving Fisher to LT vs RT is a huge mistake.

Too late for that now, barring injury. Training camp is over and it's doubtful they'll make the switch, now

ctchiefsfan
08-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Its the defensive backs I am worried about. Parker looked totally lost out there. Smith wasn't much better. I get the feeling they are planning on our pass rush to hide our In experience in the secondary. Not a great plan imo with manning and rivers in the division. But it is only pre season so plenty of time to get things improved

No doubt in my mind that you are right about this. I think that without a round 2 pick in the draft they didn't see themselves as being able to have a major impact on the secondary so they decided to try to improve our already impressive pass rush. With our extra compensatory picks next year I expect they will look to have a major impact on the secondary as well as perhaps try to pick up an additional WR.

Seek
08-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Yes, this is a big concern also. However, I watched Malcom Bronson closer and he almost had a nother pick aft DJ dropped it. He could end up being a bright spot for us.

I thought the Gaines kid had a better game.

I don't really recall Marcus Cooper being an issue but I was watching most of the game while eating.

There is some hope there with youth, but yeah Smith, Parker and Abdullah just struggle with those deep routes.

Frankenchief
08-18-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't really recall Marcus Cooper being an issue but I was watching most of the game while eating.
OMG!!!! That would be a 2hrs+ eating session!!!!

rodu
08-18-2014, 06:58 PM
speaking of Jon Alt, his son, Mark, has a shot at playing in the NHL this year

Eydugstr
08-19-2014, 08:00 AM

THIS. I wouldn't be surprised if teams playing us switch to their best running game, or switch to one or two step drop passing to beat the pass rush. This year we weren't able to make changes in the secondary roster, and didn't make any defensive coaching changes so I'm not sure we'll see much of a difference in the backfield from last year.

Seek
08-19-2014, 08:54 AM
OMG!!!! That would be a 2hrs+ eating session!!!!

It was, I was with in laws. A good 30 minutes eating Chips and Queso Dip with a pitcher of Margaritas, then ordering and eating our food and then discussions planning on how to ruin my following weekend.

JPPT1974
08-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Just do not want him to be a bust. As it is time to worry about him. All that pressure on him!

jason1981
08-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Its to early to worry if hes a bist or not. Next year should be the year I think he will really start to shine. This year I think will be rocky but hope to see big strides the last half of this season.

tornadospotter
08-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Worry not my Chiefs Crowd Members! The Season has not started and much training and game planning to come. Why blow things of no importance up? Let things come around! We have no control over them. So instead of being negative, find some positives. I saw some I liked! It is preseason, a time of evaluation, teaching, and lots of smoke and mirrors.

ctchiefsfan
08-20-2014, 01:43 AM
Worry not my Chiefs Crowd Members! The Season has not started and much training and game planning to come. Why blow things of no importance up? Let things come around! We have no control over them. So instead of being negative, find some positives. I saw some I liked! It is preseason, a time of evaluation, teaching, and lots of smoke and mirrors.

Smoke and mirrors is something Reid excels at. He believes in secrecy and misdirection more than Pioli ever dreamed of.....but he uses it in a positive way. I am concerned, but not despondent.

Ryfo18
08-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Just awful: http://t.co/UdpbQmpIvk

Frankenchief
08-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Maybe his shoulder IS not well, after all. But that does not alleviate my worries any. These things may never get fixed. Especially if he is pushed into playing with it. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he is put on IR.

ctchiefsfan
08-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Without a doubt a pish-poor play. But I am just not going to get my knickers in a twist. Worried? YES! Panic? No. I think he can do the job. The season will tell. But if he doesn't start looking impressive this year then I will be one very unhappy camper.

Eydugstr
08-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Without a doubt a pish-poor play. But I am just not going to get my knickers in a twist. Worried? YES! Panic? No. I think he can do the job. The season will tell. But if he doesn't start looking impressive this year then I will be one very unhappy camper.

Agreed. That play did suck but one play doesn't mean the man can't or won't pick up his performance. Barring major injury, I think he'll improve over time.

Seek
08-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Agreed. That play did suck but one play doesn't mean the man can't or won't pick up his performance. Barring major injury, I think he'll improve over time.

Yeah, I think he will also improve over time, but probably not until he is moved to guard.

brdempsey69
08-21-2014, 01:07 PM

Interesting that nobody talks about the knockdown block Fisher scored on LB Luke Kuechly, but of course, a great many are going to magnify his bad plays.

Yeah, I think he will also improve over time, but probably not until he is moved to guard.

Fisher has never played Guard extensively at any level. Whether anyone likes it or not, Andy Reid is going to Fisher a fair chance to play through the rough spots and let Fisher try to develop and improve.

Seek
08-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Interesting that nobody talks about the knockdown block Fisher scored on LB Luke Kuechly, but of course, a great many are going to magnify his bad plays.

Fisher has never played Guard extensively at any level. Whether anyone likes it or not, Andy Reid is going to Fisher a fair chance to play through the rough spots and let Fisher try to develop and improve.

If he continues playing the way he has. Like it or not, Andy will put the best player available in his spot and he will not finish the season at LT because Andy can not afford to let one player get his QB or Running backs killed regardless of his draft status.

So While he has not played Guard, He is reminds me a whole bunch like Robert Gallery and is currently following that same career path. I trust players who played in the NFL when they say, he lacks certain skills and those skills are not something you can develop. I am not that optomistic that he will turn it around becasue he was drafted #1. There are people really close to the Chiefs that are very skeptical of him and can openly share that because they no longer receive a pay check from the Chiefs instead of making excuses for him and their mistake of drafting him.

brdempsey69
08-21-2014, 02:19 PM
If he continues playing the way he has. Like it or not, Andy will put the best player available in his spot and he will not finish the season at LT because Andy can not afford to let one player get his QB or Running backs killed regardless of his draft status.

So While he has not played Guard, He is reminds me a whole bunch like Robert Gallery and is currently following that same career path. I trust players who played in the NFL when they say, he lacks certain skills and those skills are not something you can develop. I am not that optomistic that he will turn it around becasue he was drafted #1. There are people really close to the Chiefs that are very skeptical of him and can openly share that because they no longer receive a pay check from the Chiefs instead of making excuses for him and their mistake of drafting him.

In other words, you are wanting Fisher to fail. We get it.

Seek
08-21-2014, 03:07 PM
In other words, you are wanting Fisher to fail. We get it.

No not at all. I want him to prove me wrong in the worste kind of way. Unfortunately, at this point he is exceeding my worries. I thought he would struggle. Just not as bad as he has been and I don't see any viable solution other than hoping he can get better. I can't sit back and say it will be alright until he Shows ME... I am from Missouri.

The more I hear people talk about him, the more concerned I get about him at LT. The good news is that we have a mobile smart QB, and our coach can scheme around this weakness with rolls and screens etc... buyt it just takes one bad play. Plus we appear to have a good TE core who could help Fisher and still be a factor in the receiving game.

Eydugstr
08-21-2014, 05:14 PM

Then please post the names & quotes, or links. It's definitely relevant to the thread.

rodu
08-21-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm more worried about our secondary than I am Fisher. Fisher still has the tools to make progress and get better. Our secondary is Eric Berry and future CFl all stars

brdempsey69
08-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Then please post the names & quotes, or links. It's definitely relevant to the thread.

I think he's talking about Tim Grunhard, but Grunhard never played LT. When he's able to provide quotes from a guy like Willie Roaf, who actually played the position, that Fisher has only had two pro starts at in his time in the NFL, then I'll accept it as credible.

I know they aren't coming from Andy Reid.

tornadospotter
08-22-2014, 12:24 AM
The teams OL is a busted, the defense sucks, we have no pass coverage, we have no pass rush, we have no qb, we have no hope! THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SEASON IS OVER, THERE IS NO HOPE EVER! Glad the season has not yet started, or I might become a negative person. Maybe I should not wait until games are played, and just give up. So much Negatived, breeds more! Stop IT! Get behind the team with POSITIVE THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why? Why is it there is so much down thinking on this site? This used to be a place of positive thinking towards OUR TEAM! THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!
If you can not be positive thinking, get the blank out of here. If you would start thinking positive about the team, this would be a better place. Season is not even started. Let me ask you, are any of you a coach? Are any of you privy to the training and process of the Chiefs Staff? If not shut the F up! You know exactly crap! and nothing more! Season has not even started, but so negative is all I read in so many posts. It may very well be that we have a bad season, it may well be some players do not work out. But really, lets at least let it happen. Change your thought process, put positive thinking forward.
Season has not even begun.

ctchiefsfan
08-22-2014, 01:56 AM
Well said TS!!!

Yeah....this season looks kinda scarey. Lots of vets gone in free agency. Tough schedule. But we should remember a few things.....Reid took a 2-14 team and made it into an 11-5 team with nothing new other than a castoff QB. And he did it while our top WR was having a lousy year. If the injury bug doesn't bite us too bad I think we can be in contention for a playoff spot right through week 17.

BRING ON THE DAMNED SEASON!!!!! I WANNA SEE SOME FOOTBALL!!!!

Seek
08-22-2014, 08:31 AM

Former players every week on sport radio 810 whb including Tim Grunhardt, Mark Boerighter and others.
Sports Radio 810 WHB (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sports-Radio-810-WHB/52787349065?ref=stream&fref=nf)
August 18 at 9:14am

Tim Grunhard breaking down Eric Fisher's struggles now on The Program. The 2 Minute Drill at Noon and Andy Reid at 1. Plus plenty of Royals talk.

Eydugstr
08-22-2014, 08:46 AM
I think he's talking about Tim Grunhard, but Grunhard never played LT. When he's able to provide quotes from a guy like Willie Roaf, who actually played the position, that Fisher has only had two pro starts at in his time in the NFL, then I'll accept it as credible.

That's the issue I've got with a lot of the criticism. Actually Tim Grunhard I'd listen to because at least the guy was O-line. It's when the fantasy football analysists/pro draft revues get involved is where I start questioning things.

I'm not worried about Fisher right now. I'm convinced he'll improve. If he was truly that horrible, Reid would've benched him by now in favor of Stephenson. It's not like Reid has to appease Dorsey, the way previous coaches did with King Carl or Pioli.

Eydugstr
08-22-2014, 08:53 AM
The teams OL is a busted, the defense sucks, we have no pass coverage, we have no pass rush, we have no qb, we have no hope! THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SEASON IS OVER, THERE IS NO HOPE EVER! Glad the season has not yet started, or I might become a negative person. Maybe I should not wait until games are played, and just give up. So much Negatived, breeds more! Stop IT! Get behind the team with POSITIVE THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why? Why is it there is so much down thinking on this site? This used to be a place of positive thinking towards OUR TEAM! THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!
If you can not be positive thinking, get the blank out of here. If you would start thinking positive about the team, this would be a better place. Season is not even started. Let me ask you, are any of you a coach? Are any of you privy to the training and process of the Chiefs Staff? If not shut the F up! You know exactly crap! and nothing more! Season has not even started, but so negative is all I read in so many posts. It may very well be that we have a bad season, it may well be some players do not work out. But really, lets at least let it happen. Change your thought process, put positive thinking forward.

Spot on, TS. Yeah, the draft wasn't exactly stellar, but like I've said before, and I'll say it again...Somebody's going to step up and become a better player. There's too many opportunities right now for guys that got overlooked to make this roster.

Seek
08-22-2014, 09:07 AM

LOL. I get it now. Nothing logical or currently factual will matter to you until Fisher either proves you right or wrong. There is no point in debating this anyway until he becomes what he becomes. I don't wish him failure and it does us really no good pointing out the realistic reasons why I am skeptical he will become what we need him to become.

BTW. Willie Roaf was a huge man and one of the strongest players in the NFL. He physically destroyed players. His opinion on how to play the position would be completely different from how Eric will have to play it. Eric will need require more technique and use his speed similar to that of a one undersized pro-bowl Center that you find less credible. But I would like to say. Grunhardt is not saying he is or will be a bust. He is just pointing out the obvious things he needs to work on, but did say some of those things are not easily developed. So there is still hope.

Seek
08-22-2014, 09:17 AM

I am not usually a negative poster. Sorry I am on this issue and that won't change until my opinion changes. Your sugeesting is a forum killer. If people need to get the blank out of here for NOT circle jerking the same postive kool aid thoughts. NO ONE WOULD POST and the forum would be dead with only updates and there would be no discussions. No one will continue to post. There will be an article published, people will say YUP!!! or that Sucks and then go about there business until the next article and people will just stop coming to the forum because they can get those updates anywhere.

brdempsey69
08-22-2014, 01:13 PM
LOL. I get it now. Nothing logical or currently factual will matter to you until Fisher either proves you right or wrong. There is no point in debating this anyway until he becomes what he becomes. I don't wish him failure and it does us really no good pointing out the realistic reasons why I am skeptical he will become what we need him to become.

BTW. Willie Roaf was a huge man and one of the strongest players in the NFL. He physically destroyed players. His opinion on how to play the position would be completely different from how Eric will have to play it. Eric will need require more technique and use his speed similar to that of a one undersized pro-bowl Center that you find less credible. But I would like to say. Grunhardt is not saying he is or will be a bust. He is just pointing out the obvious things he needs to work on, but did say some of those things are not easily developed. So there is still hope.

Roaf was listed as 6' 5" and 305 when he was drafted by N.O. in 1993 and when he was with the Chiefs he was listed as at 320 lbs. He wasn't huge by Jonathan Ogden or Tony Boselli or Lincoln Kennedy standards. He was great because of his blocking skills.

Sorry, but you are incorrect when you say "Nothing logical or currently factual will matter to you until Fisher either proves you right or wrong. There is no point in debating this anyway until he becomes what he becomes", because you have said it was a mistake to put Fisher at LT, whereas I have said Fisher should get that same chance that Albert got to hone his skills at the LT position and let time tell whether or not it was a mistake. Besides, LT was what Fisher played in college, whereas Albert never did play that position in college.

BTW, how do you go from quoting Grunhard as saying "he lacks certain skills and those skills are not something you can develop" to saying "but did say some of those things are not easily developed". Well, which is it?

Seek
08-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Roaf was listed as 6' 5" and 305 when he was drafted by N.O. in 1993 and when he was with the Chiefs he was listed as at 320 lbs. He wasn't huge by Jonathan Ogden or Tony Boselli or Lincoln Kennedy standards. He was great because of his blocking skills.

Sorry, but you are incorrect when you say "Nothing logical or currently factual will matter to you until Fisher either proves you right or wrong. There is no point in debating this anyway until he becomes what he becomes", because you have said it was a mistake to put Fisher at LT, whereas I have said Fisher should get that same chance that Albert got to hone his skills at the LT position and let time tell whether or not it was a mistake. Besides, LT was what Fisher played in college, whereas Albert never did play that position in college.

BTW, how do you go from quoting Grunhard as saying "he lacks certain skills and those skills are not something you can develop" to saying "but did say some of those things are not easily developed". Well, which is it?

Fisher has done nothing to earn the chance to play LT and has zero competition and based on the chance Albert got to play at LT he was learning a new position. This should be more natural for Fisher and so far this year. He looks more lost at LT than he did at RT. His only competition had rightfully earned the opportunity to start at LT but instead was moved to RT, in which he has struggled also in the offseason and is now suspended for 4 games.

I don't recall Quoting anyone or Grunhard... I paraphrased from what I have heard him say over the weeks and it is not just him. The contradiction from him is merely him trying to stay on the fence basically saying he most likley will fail, but there is other options so without completely throwing him under the bust. He says he still has a chance but needs to work on certain things. Things that you typically instinctfully have or do not have and the only way he can possibly develop those is through one and one drills and he has not been doing that. In that last game, that is exactly what Andy Reid did. He left Eric Fisher alone to pass block against one the best D line in the NFL trying to give him a crash course.

Regarding Willie Roaf. He was a member at my club years ago when he was a Chief and I could never understand how he could be as fast as he was on the field when he always walked with a limp practically dragging his leg. When I say he physicaly destroyed people I am not talking about his Mass size. I am talking about actual Muscle and pounding people to the ground. Early in Willie Roafs career he was labled the NFL strongest man for doing the most bench presses. He compared to Fisher are far apart in size so if you want Roafs opinion on how to play LT. I don't think he would do any justice for Fisher. They are not the same type of player.

Eydugstr
08-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Fisher has done nothing to earn the chance to play LT and has zero competition and based on the chance Albert got to play at LT he was learning a new position. This should be more natural for Fisher and so far this year. He looks more lost at LT than he did at RT. His only competition had rightfully earned the opportunity to start at LT but instead was moved to RT, in which he has struggled also in the offseason and is now suspended for 4 games.

I don't recall Quoting anyone or Grunhard... I paraphrased from what I have heard him say over the weeks and it is not just him. The contradiction from him is merely him trying to stay on the fence basically saying he most likley will fail, but there is other options so without completely throwing him under the bust. He says he still has a chance but needs to work on certain things. Things that you typically instinctfully have or do not have and the only way he can possibly develop those is through one and one drills and he has not been doing that. In that last game, that is exactly what Andy Reid did. He left Eric Fisher alone to pass block against one the best D line in the NFL trying to give him a crash course.

Regarding Willie Roaf. He was a member at my club years ago when he was a Chief and I could never understand how he could be as fast as he was on the field when he always walked with a limp practically dragging his leg. When I say he physicaly destroyed people I am not talking about his Mass size. I am talking about actual Muscle and pounding people to the ground. Early in Willie Roafs career he was labled the NFL strongest man for doing the most bench presses. He compared to Fisher are far apart in size so if you want Roafs opinion on how to play LT. I don't think he would do any justice for Fisher. They are not the same type of player.

Fisher has done nothing to earn the chance to play LT ??....He was an LT in college, and in high school...kinda makes sense that he'd be drafted as an LT, then asked to play it at some point! The whole situation with him being put in at RT was because of Branden Albert. How many first pick, first round draftees have you seen go through a competition process, let alone play a different position? They usually either make it or they don't.

brdempsey69
08-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Fisher has done nothing to earn the chance to play LT ??....He was an LT in college, and in high school...kinda makes sense that he'd be drafted as an LT, then asked to play it at some point! The whole situation with him being put in at RT was because of Branden Albert. How many first pick, first round draftees have you seen go through a competition process, let alone play a different position? They usually either make it or they don't.

Precisely, and he destroyed his own argument with "Fisher has done nothing to earn the chance to play LT", when everyone knows that was why Fisher was drafted in the first place.

And I don't give a F*&( who he has paraphrased from. My point has been all along, that Fisher should get the same chance to develop and hone his skills at LT that Albert got, which he has NOT yet refuted and I don't care about his skepticism.

kcvet
08-22-2014, 06:36 PM
THIS. I wouldn't be surprised if teams playing us switch to their best running game, or switch to one or two step drop passing to beat the pass rush. This year we weren't able to make changes in the secondary roster, and didn't make any defensive coaching changes so I'm not sure we'll see much of a difference in the backfield from last year.

god forbid the hurry up

tornadospotter
08-22-2014, 06:40 PM
I am not usually a negative poster. Sorry I am on this issue and that won't change until my opinion changes. Your sugeesting is a forum killer. If people need to get the blank out of here for NOT circle jerking the same postive kool aid thoughts. NO ONE WOULD POST and the forum would be dead with only updates and there would be no discussions. No one will continue to post. There will be an article published, people will say YUP!!! or that Sucks and then go about there business until the next article and people will just stop coming to the forum because they can get those updates anywhere.

That is fine seek, but sometimes someone needs to slap the negative out, and wake up the belief in our team.:Tool:

Ryfo18
08-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Precisely, and he destroyed his own argument with "Fisher has done nothing to earn the chance to play LT", when everyone knows that was why Fisher was drafted in the first place.

And I don't give a F*&( who he has paraphrased from. My point has been all along, that Fisher should get the same chance to develop and hone his skills at LT that Albert got, which he has NOT yet refuted and I don't care about his skepticism.

#1 overall picks shouldn't need to "develop and hone" their skills. They are supposed to be the best player in the draft. The fact that we have a guy who was taken #1 overall and sucks right now is embarassing. Make all the excuses you want, the #1 overall pick shouldn't look completely lost on the field.

ctchiefsfan
08-23-2014, 04:18 AM
Last year's draft class was nothing to write home about. A LT went #1 and #2 IIRC.....and neither of them has exactly set the world on fire. The truth is that our Chiefs had the rotten luck to get the #1 overall pick in one of the crappiest draft classes ever. Fisher is what he is and you can't say he is any worse than Yokel or whatever his name is. We got what we got and now we have to train him up to be an impact player. It could be worse.....we could have picked Geno Smith.

Ryfo18
08-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Geno Smith would be worse? If your're going to swing and miss, better to do so on a QB. At least he can potentially turn a franchise into a playoff contender every year. Geno played well in about 8 games last year, and looked bad in about 8 others. So far he has looked very good in the preseason. When the Jets are extending Geno to a new deal 4 years from now and the Chiefs are looking for answers at LT, we'll all be wishing we would have taken the guy everyone passed on in the 1st round.

doobs_05
08-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Fisher - "Give the dude time to develop" Geno - "LOL DUDE SUCKS"

brdempsey69
08-23-2014, 11:03 AM
#1 overall picks shouldn't need to "develop and hone" their skills. They are supposed to be the best player in the draft. The fact that we have a guy who was taken #1 overall and sucks right now is embarassing. Make all the excuses you want, the #1 overall pick shouldn't look completely lost on the field.

And they normally get to play at the position they played in college right from the get-go. But, as we know, that wasn't the case with Fisher, now was it?

Of course, if that had been Albert going through the same sequence that Fisher had gone through in these first two preseason games, you would've been making every excuse under the sun to defend Albert. So your talking out of a black hole there.

Nobody here has made excuses for Fisher. We've all stated that he needs to improve.

Ryfo18
08-23-2014, 11:56 AM
And they normally get to play at the position they played in college right from the get-go. But, as we know, that wasn't the case with Fisher, now was it?

Of course, if that had been Albert going through the same sequence that Fisher had gone through in these first two preseason games, you would've been making every excuse under the sun to defend Albert. So your talking out of a black hole there.

Nobody here has made excuses for Fisher. We've all stated that he needs to improve.

Your very first sentence is an excuse, so yes, you're making excuses. But thanks for helping me prove my point. A #1 overall pick that isn't versatile enough to play RT, and still is not good at LT all the same. Hooray! So glad we picked him first overall. If you can't display that kind of versatility as a #1 overall pick, well that's not good.

Cant any wait for your next post that will continue to point fingers at Albert, who is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Frankenchief
08-23-2014, 12:14 PM
I can't believe there are still Geno Smith drummers on this board. Let it go guys! Geno Smith is not a Chief and I am the happiest camper about that. I'm gonna go out on the limb here, by I predict a more solid NFL career for Fisher than Geno Smith. Barring misfortunes of course.

brdempsey69
08-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Your very first sentence is an excuse, so yes, you're making excuses. But thanks for helping me prove my point. A #1 overall pick that isn't versatile enough to play RT, and still is not good at LT all the same. Hooray! So glad we picked him first overall. If you can't display that kind of versatility as a #1 overall pick, well that's not good.

Cant any wait for your next post that will continue to point fingers at Albert, who is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Nice try, but you fail. Fisher playing out of position isn't an excuse, it's a statement of fact. He didn't do as badly at RT as I thought he would and considering he was playing hurt.

Albert is irrelevant in this discussion, when you are holding Fisher to a whole different standard then what you did with Albert, just because you wanted Geno Buttfumble 2.0 drafted.

ctchiefsfan
08-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Y'know.....Fisher will probably not turn out to be the greatest #1 overall pick in the History of the NFL. But it wasn't a very impressive draft class either. So long as he turns into a major contributor to the Chiefs then that is good enough.

As for Geno Smith, his rookie year was certainly no more impressive than Fisher's. Worse IMO. Certainly not worth the # pick overall. And that is what we'd have had to spend to get him.

Eydugstr
08-23-2014, 04:13 PM

That one fell about ten yards short of making any sense whatsoever. The reason why Albert keeps coming into the picture, is that he was our LT before Fisher entered the picture, and WAS the reason why our first round draft pick had to play out of position. Yes, Fisher needs work, and has a long way to go before he makes anyone forget about Will Shields or Willie Roaf.

Okay so you don't like Fisher, who would you have taken as first overall in last years' draft?

brdempsey69
08-23-2014, 04:23 PM
That one fell about ten yards short of making any sense whatsoever. The reason why Albert keeps coming into the picture, is that he was our LT before Fisher entered the picture, and WAS the reason why our first round draft pick had to play out of position. Yes, Fisher needs work, and has a long way to go before he makes anyone forget about Will Shields or Willie Roaf.

Okay so you don't like Fisher, who would you have taken as first overall in last years' draft?

He still wanted Geno Smith, even after a trade for Alex Smith had already been done.

Ryfo18
08-23-2014, 04:35 PM
I was always for Geno. Never waivered. He had his ups and downs last year, but led the Jets to 8 wins as a rookie while throwing to the likes of Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, and whoever else the Jets could trot out. When you get a chance to draft a rookie at the QB position that can lead you to perennial playoff appearances, I firmly believe you do it instead of wasting it on an o-lineman that won't come close to doing the same. If they both bust, they both bust. But only one is capable of carrying a whole franchise like Brees, Brady, Peyton, etc.

I mean just look at this list? Any of these guys turn their franchise around like a QB can? Nope. http://t.co/OEzxpXsjQY. Meanwhile, pretty much every Super Bowl team does so behind average O-lines. You don't need to spend on these supposedly elite guys when good will do just fine.

Ryfo18
08-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Fisher does have plenty of time to turn it around. For Alex's sake and our sake, I hope he does. But like I said, this isn't what you expect from a #1 overall pick. He's one of the worst LTs in the league as of today.

brdempsey69
08-23-2014, 04:52 PM
I was always for Geno. Never waivered. He had his ups and downs last year, but led the Jets to 8 wins as a rookie while throwing to the likes of Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, and whoever else the Jets could trot out. When you get a chance to draft a rookie at the QB position that can lead you to perennial playoff appearances, I firmly believe you do it instead of wasting it on an o-lineman that won't come close to doing the same. If they both bust, they both bust. But only one is capable of carrying a whole franchise like Brees, Brady, Peyton, etc.

I mean just look at this list? Any of these guys turn their franchise around like a QB can? Nope. http://t.co/OEzxpXsjQY

It's been explained to you 100 million times that LT's aren't drafted to be franchise changers. They are drafted to the cornerstone of that teams O-Line. Would Geno have changed the Chiefs franchise? No, he would not have, any more than Matt Cassel did and with Alex Smith already having been traded for, it would have been stupid to draft Geno. Plus, the Albert situation to boot.

Funny how Seattle drafted their LT first ( Okung ) and then got Russell Wilson ( 3rd round ) afterward & did these moves keep them from going to the SB and winning it?

Frankenchief
08-23-2014, 04:56 PM
I was always for Geno. Never waivered. He had his ups and downs last year, but led the Jets to 8 wins as a rookie while throwing to the likes of Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, and whoever else the Jets could trot out. When you get a chance to draft a rookie at the QB position that can lead you to perennial playoff appearances, I firmly believe you do it instead of wasting it on an o-lineman that won't come close to doing the same.

DUDE!!..... 31 other teams passed on Geno in the 1st round. Here you are still arguing that we should have used the top pick of the draft on him!!!!!

Ryfo18
08-23-2014, 05:00 PM
It's been explained to you 100 million times that LT's aren't drafted to be franchise changers. They are drafted to the cornerstone of that teams O-Line. Would Geno have changed the Chiefs franchise? No, he would not have, any more than Matt Cassel did and with Alex Smith already having been traded for, it would have been stupid to draft Geno. Plus, the Albert situation to boot.

Funny how Seattle drafted their LT first ( Okung ) and then got Russell Wilson afterward & did these keep them from going to the SB and winning it?

Funny how the previous 8 before that didn't.

Ryfo18
08-23-2014, 05:03 PM
DUDE!!..... 31 other teams passed on Geno in the 1st round. Here you are still arguing that we should have used the top pick of the draft on him!!!!!

Terrible analogy. For one, 31 teams didn't need a QB. 23 teams passed on Rodgers. 32 teams passed on Russell Wilson (twice). 32 teams passed on Drew Brees. For as good as they're perceived to be, NFL teams get the QB position wrong a lot.

Pointless to debate this anymore for now. More than willing to revisit one The draft class has some more games under their belt.

Eydugstr
08-23-2014, 05:05 PM

I mean just look at this list? Any of these guys turn their franchise around like a QB can? Nope. http://t.co/OEzxpXsjQY. Meanwhile, pretty much every Super Bowl team does so behind average O-lines. You don't need to spend on these supposedly elite guys when good will do just fine.

So we were supposed to add Geno Smith to our 2012 roster, and expect the playoff victories to just come rolling in? That was your plan?

brdempsey69
08-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Funny how the previous 8 before that didn't.

And how many QB's like Geno Buttfumble 2.0, also didn't in that same time span?

Ryfo18
08-23-2014, 05:09 PM
And how many QB's like Geno Buttfumble 2.0, also didn't in that same time span?

How many did? You get a kick out of that nickname don't you? Lol

brdempsey69
08-23-2014, 05:14 PM
How many did?

Specifically how many QB's that were drafted in the top 40 picks -- which would include Geno -- over the last 10 years? I can only think of Flacco. Weren't Vince Young and Matt Leinhart also drafted in the top 10 in that same time span?

Ryfo18
08-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Specifically how many QB's that were drafted in the top 40 picks -- which would include Geno -- over the last 10 years? I can only think of Flacco. Weren't Vince Young and Matt Leinhart also drafted in the top 10 in that same time span?

Flacco, Big Ben (2x), Rodgers, Eli (2x) in the last 10 years off the top of my head. More than 10 years but Brees and Manning as well. Next question.

Ryfo18
08-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Anyway, I have to run. Have a good evening fellas. Go Chiefs!

brdempsey69
08-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Flacco, Big Ben (2x), Rodgers, Eli (2x) in the last 10 years off the top of my head. More than 10 years but Brees and Manning as well. Next question.

Next question obviously is how many didn't in that time span, which you've already been asked but are evading.

Ryfo18
08-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Next question obviously is how many didn't in that time span, which you've already been asked but are evading.

No clue. You're more than welcome to do the research if you care that much. I don't, because it has no bearing on Geno or any other QB that gets drafted in the future.

Enjoy the game.

brdempsey69
08-23-2014, 05:38 PM
No clue. You're more than welcome to do the research if you care that much. I don't, because it has no bearing on Geno or any other QB that gets drafted in the future.

Enjoy the game.

Excuse me, but why would you give a rats arse at this point in time about Geno, with a guy like Aaron Murray having been drafted, who had a better college career overall than Geno?

Frankenchief
08-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Terrible analogy. For one, 31 teams didn't need a QB. 23 teams passed on Rodgers. 32 teams passed on Russell Wilson (twice). 32 teams passed on Drew Brees.

Those QBs where better than their evaluation as we now see. Geno was not, again as we now see. Teams do do their homework and while they are wrong in some cases they are right most of the time. With Geno, they were, OBVIOUSLY!

matthewschiefs
08-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Are we REALLY back on the Geno thing? REALLY?

Look Geno might turn out to be a good NFL QB. And Fisher might turn out to be the total bust that he looks like he is right now. But that being said Geno Smith wasn't the right fit with the Chiefs. Lets go back in time and look at what this team has done since the days of Trent Green
1. They asked there fan base to believe that Brodie Croyle was going to be a NFL QB
2 After the Croyle flop they then asked us to believe that Matt Cassel wasn't a 1 year wonder in the Pats system

In 2012 the fan base was in a uproar. Not only did the Chiefs put the fans through hell with the way they played on the field there was the off the field heartbreak in December. It was the WORSE YEAR ever for the franchise they hit rock bottom. The last thing they could afford to do was say hey guys believe in this guy again. It just wasn't going to work for the large % of the fan base. So they went and found a guy who was playing at a high level and took a chance on a guy that they felt had very high potential. Right or wrong with the first pick Any of the QBs in that draft class the Chiefs just were not in a position to get the QB spot wrong. Geno just wasn't the right guy for THIS team in the situation that they found themselves in.

brdempsey69
08-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Actually, Fisher wasn't bad tonight. Not great, but wasn't a sieve by any stretch of the imagination.

Those QBs where better than their evaluation as we now see. Geno was not, again as we now see. Teams do do their homework and while they are wrong in some cases they are right most of the time. With Geno, they were, OBVIOUSLY!

And what have we seen from Sam Bradford taken #1 overall by the Rams in 2010? The same thing we'd have seen from Geno if the Chiefs had taken him #1 overall.

jason1981
08-24-2014, 01:05 AM
Ok I came on this thread to see of anyone posted how fisher did tonight and all I see is geno smith crap again. Is mmh back now. Please stop with the flash backs. Geno smith aint going to happen. Hes not a chief. Please anyone know how he did? I didn t watch the game. I heard he was better then last week.

matthewschiefs
08-24-2014, 01:37 AM
Ok I came on this thread to see of anyone posted how fisher did tonight and all I see is geno smith crap again. Is mmh back now. Please stop with the flash backs. Geno smith aint going to happen. Hes not a chief. Please anyone know how he did? I didn t watch the game. I heard he was better then last week.

IMO Slightly better then a week ago but still a lot to be desired but that was the whole Line really.

brdempsey69
08-24-2014, 01:06 PM

Fisher didn't do too badly last night. As I said, not great and there's plenty of room for improvement, but wasn't terrible by any means.

jason1981
08-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the updates. I hope he improves.

Seek
08-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Actually, Fisher wasn't bad tonight. Not great, but wasn't a sieve by any stretch of the imagination.

And what have we seen from Sam Bradford taken #1 overall by the Rams in 2010? The same thing we'd have seen from Geno if the Chiefs had taken him #1 overall.

His performance wasn't completely aweful. He certainly didn't stand out from the rest of the offensive line. There was many plays that I could not tell if it was a screen or just bad blocking. That is one thing you have to give Alex Smith some credit. He has good pocket presence which was painfully obvious when Bray got in there since he has none.

One thing I noticed in this game. Minnesota's LT looked much worse and they will have problems this year. Now maybe that was Tamba having a good game.

I can not believe Geno Smith is even a consideration. The only player I would have liked the Chiefs to have taken which was not a need at the time was Dion Jordan. There was numerous rumors that the Chiefs felt he was the best player available a week before the draft and that they may take him. I didn't like it at the time because it was not a need, but liked it only because the draft was so deep in tackles. Had they made that move they wouldn't have drafted what appears to be another project with Dee Ford.

Frankenchief
08-25-2014, 11:07 AM
The only player I would have liked the Chiefs to have taken which was not a need at the time was Dion Jordan. There was numerous rumors that the Chiefs felt he was the best player available a week before the draft and that they may take him. I didn't like it at the time because it was not a need, but liked it only because the draft was so deep in tackles. Had they made that move they wouldn't have drafted what appears to be another project with Dee Ford.Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jordan having his share of problems too?

jason1981
08-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jordan having his share of problems too?

I think your right. I think I read he was on the verge of not making the team this year but I think he got tradded to another team that better suits his skills. He didn't suit their defense. Though I might be getting him confused with someone else. But it was a guy from the dolphins and I think they traded him.

brdempsey69
08-25-2014, 12:43 PM
One thing I noticed in this game. Minnesota's LT looked much worse and they will have problems this year. Now maybe that was Tamba having a good game.

I can not believe Geno Smith is even a consideration. The only player I would have liked the Chiefs to have taken which was not a need at the time was Dion Jordan. There was numerous rumors that the Chiefs felt he was the best player available a week before the draft and that they may take him. I didn't like it at the time because it was not a need, but liked it only because the draft was so deep in tackles. Had they made that move they wouldn't have drafted what appears to be another project with Dee Ford.

Actually regarding LT Matt Kalil, it WAS Tamba that was the problem. When Hali is not being held, he's often times unblockable. If the Donkeys hadn't been allowed to get away with holding him last year, he would have decked Manning for losses multiple times.

Ford is something of a project, because he's never been a stand-up OLB, but he was more productive in college than Jordan was, and Jordan still hasn't won a starting job down in Miami. Jordan has NOT been traded from Miami as others have suggested, although there were rumors of it. People forget that Justin Houston didn't start off as a great ball of fire, but took some time to develop.

I do believe the Chiefs would have considered Johnny Manziel if he had been there at #23.

Seek
08-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jordan having his share of problems too?

Yes he is struggling. I am not talking Hind Sight taking him over Fisher. I was speaking at the time he was probably the only other players other than Joekle that I could see the team taking. Both Jeokle and Jordan were injured most of the season last year. Jordan is struggling to find a spot since he is kind of a tweener and I believe is about to servde a 4 game suspension.

Seek
08-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Actually regarding LT Matt Kalil, it WAS Tamba that was the problem. When Hali is not being held, he's often times unblockable. If the Donkeys hadn't been allowed to get away with holding him last year, he would have decked Manning for losses multiple times.

Ford is something of a project, because he's never been a stand-up OLB, but he was more productive in college than Jordan was, and Jordan still hasn't won a starting job down in Miami. Jordan has NOT been traded from Miami as others have suggested, although there were rumors of it. People forget that Justin Houston didn't start off as a great ball of fire, but took some time to develop.

I do believe the Chiefs would have considered Johnny Manziel if he has been there at #23

I would have been very pissed if they got Maziel. Even if he becomes something more than Tebow 2.0 and actually looks to throw before running I would hate having him just based on his character.

I am fine with pick of Ford here however, I strongly believe your #1 should be NFL ready and starting practically week one. They are not meant to be projects on the bench but projectsprojects developing as they are thrown in the fire. Given who is in front of him he gets a longer leash. I would have really preferred the next best available Safety or Corner. The Broncos Pick Bradely Roby was one that I thought would fit our defense style. He appears to be a man to man guy.

I don't recall Houston starting off too slow unless you a refering to him obtaining his Pro-bowl status. He was pretty solid as a rookie compared to what we had and didn't drop much in production compared to Vrabel and that was after he held out for a while. You are also comparing a 3rd rounder vs a 1st rounder.

brdempsey69
08-25-2014, 01:44 PM
I would have been very pissed if they got Maziel. Even if he becomes something more than Tebow 2.0 and actually looks to throw before running I would hate having him just based on his character.

I am fine with pick of Ford here however, I strongly believe your #1 should be NFL ready and starting practically week one. They are not meant to be projects on the bench but projectsprojects developing as they are thrown in the fire. Given who is in front of him he gets a longer leash. I would have really preferred the next best available Safety or Corner. The Broncos Pick Bradely Roby was one that I thought would fit our defense style. He appears to be a man to man guy.

I don't recall Houston starting off too slow unless you a refering to him obtaining his Pro-bowl status. He was pretty solid as a rookie compared to what we had and didn't drop much in production compared to Vrabel and that was after he held out for a while. You are also comparing a 3rd rounder vs a 1st rounder.

Houston did start off slowly in his rookie year & progressed and got better as the season wore on. Houston would have been a first-rounder or early 2nd rounder at the latest, if not for testing positive for Wacky Tobaccy at the Combine.

Eydugstr
08-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Houston did start off slowly in his rookie year & progressed and got better as the season wore on. Houston would have been a first-rounder or early 2nd rounder at the latest, if not for testing positive for Wacky Tobaccy at the Combine.

Re-quoted for truth. It didn't happen instantly for Houston, it wasn't until halfway through his first season then he began to catch fire.

Seek
08-26-2014, 08:55 AM

But he was not a first rounder so his expectations were not as high. I don't expect Ford to be a stud 15 sack guy his rookie season. Just from what I have heard and seen, he lacks run support and is specifically a pass rusher. It will take him longer than a year to develop. He may develop into that pass rushing specialist by year end, but he has a lot to improve at this point in time before he is a starter.

anejfan
09-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Smith better be tough as will little protection he won't have the time to look down field and search for any receivers.

Frankenchief
09-07-2014, 05:57 PM
I did not focus too much on Fisher today. But every time I saw him he was playing very good. He did his job and didn't look like a part of the overall bad news Chiefs.

Did anyone watch him more closely?

brdempsey69
09-07-2014, 07:50 PM
I did not focus too much on Fisher today. But every time I saw him he was playing very good. He did his job and didn't look like a part of the overall bad news Chiefs.

I will do so when the game is uploaded to NFL Game Rewind. It sounds like he was one of the few bright spots fro the Chiefs Offense today and I know he didn't get called for any penalties.

Ryfo18
09-07-2014, 11:15 PM
I will do so when the game is uploaded to NFL Game Rewind. It sounds like he was one of the few bright spots fro the Chiefs Offense today and I know he didn't get called for any penalties.

He was.

Frankenchief
09-08-2014, 12:27 AM
That is good news for the long run. I hope as we are paying a bitter salary cap price this year at least little scenarios of hope like Fisher's develop for the near future.

Chiefster
09-08-2014, 12:27 AM
I didn`t notice any mistakes he made, but like you I did not watch him closely. Usually, it is a good thing if an offensive lineman does not get mentioned.

Frankenchief
09-08-2014, 12:55 AM
I didn`t notice any mistakes he made, but like you I did not watch him closely. Usually, it is a good thing if an offensive lineman does not get mentioned.

I don't recall any pressure from Smith's blind side. And every time I focused on fisher (mostly pass plays) he took his man for a wide trip around the QB.

ctchiefsfan
09-08-2014, 01:25 AM
This at least seems like some good news. Fisher had me worried. Sounds like he performed well.

Seek
09-08-2014, 08:30 AM

I agree. He was beaten a couple of times but only after someone else on the team was completely beaten forcing Alex out of the pocket or already sacked. At this point, Fisher is the least of my concerns on this line. He is still a concern just not as big of one.

Once Jeff Allen was beat we were rotating people in and out at RT just trying anyone.