PDA

View Full Version : Random Observations

Frankenchief
09-14-2014, 08:28 PM
In no particular order.:

1- We took a Ford with a flat tire to a race with a supposed Ferrari. Lost another tire and still almost beat the "Ferrari" on its own track. Proud of this team today.

2- The much maligned Oline played with a lot of heart. They were not perfect, but much better than we've seen them this year. Fisher, BTW, OWNED the left side for the most part. That last (reveresed) sack notwithstanding. But even THAT was a coverage sack. I think we have us a LT.

3- Alex Smith has been very inconsistent with passes over 10 yards this year. He overthrew many open receivers in crucial moments. I think he has no trust in the Oline and it is affecting him. He needs to do it after this game. This Oline will eventually gel and become better. Maybe they started that today. Who knows?

4- We called an excellent offensive game. That is except when we got close. The worst,, IMO, was the final play (4th and goal on 3+/-). We have a 6'6" hot TE who was not even on the field for that play. Why didn't Andy load up on TEs for that play? We didn't need long yards. We needed guys who could out-muscle their defenders for the ball in the end zone. I would have put both Kelce and Fasano in and gone to one of them.

5- That was a fumble (you know what I'm talking about) and a return for 6 should not have been whistled dead. The officials, as usual giving Denver the benefit of the doubt, did whistle it dead and had to then save face by claiming there was not enough evidence to reverse it. MY ***!!!

6- Do you recall any Denver players slip on that turf? why were our guys (especially Davis) slipping all over the place?

7- Our D is based on an aggressive attacking style and when it works it's nice. But our players are not taught to go for takeaways. remember our '90s D? I don't see any of our defenders yanking the ball away from the other team's receivers, Qbs, or running backs. They really need to add that aggressiveness to their efforts.

8- (Reserved for more to come to me as I think about the game.)

brdempsey69
09-14-2014, 08:36 PM
2. Yes, it's good to see Fisher making progress given this is his first full season at LT. There could still be some growing pains along the way this year, but by 2015, he could be an absolute beast -- especially if he can go through a full off-season program and not have to undergo any surgeries. Everybody knew that it might take him some time to get used to pro ball. Certainly, thus far, he has not been dominated by the opposition so far in the regular season.

Frankenchief
09-14-2014, 09:53 PM
2. Yes, it's good to see Fisher making progress given this is his first full season at LT. There could still be some growing pains along the way this year, but by 2015, he could be an absolute beast -- especially if he can go through a full off-season program and not have to undergo any surgeries. Everybody knew that it might take him some time to get used to pro ball. Certainly, thus far, he has not been dominated by the opposition so far in the regular season.
His play now and during the preseason are total night and day. (Day and night I guess)

jason1981
09-14-2014, 10:54 PM
I thought alex smith has been great with pass plays over 10 yards this year. We have more big pass plays in these two games than we did all of last year. We completed alot of big pass plays today and one called back for holding. I only remember one he over threw.

rodu
09-14-2014, 11:01 PM
did Dee Ford see much of the game?

jason1981
09-14-2014, 11:08 PM
did Dee Ford see much of the game?

I was thinking the same thing. We should have seen hali, houston and ford on the feild at the same time tonight. I didnt see him on the field once.

Frankenchief
09-14-2014, 11:43 PM
I thought alex smith has been great with pass plays over 10 yards this year. We have more big pass plays in these two games than we did all of last year. We completed alot of big pass plays today and one called back for holding. I only remember one he over threw.
There were several. And all seemed to kill or at least jeopardize a drive.

jason1981
09-15-2014, 02:02 AM
There were several. And all seemed to kill or at least jeopardize a drive.

Ok your must be a alex smith hater and just knick picking at him. I think he out shined manning today. Manning has alot more talent around him amd yet alex smith outplayed him. Even though we lost it wasnt cuz of alex smith. It was bad refs, missed field goal and bad play calling.

jason1981
09-15-2014, 02:04 AM
We have no offense if it wasnt for alex smith making plays. Charles was out and last week reid failed to use charles even when he had him available.

Eydugstr
09-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Well, it was a loss, but it was a NOBLE loss. They didn't just roll over and die over the site of Peyton Manning in SA. The Broncos looked pale compared to last year's Broncos. The offense showed a lot of improvement and at times, a lot of poise. Watching Reid's postgame conference, he was ticked they didn't punch it in on those two last drives.

Frankenchief
09-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Ok your must be a alex smith hater and just knick picking at him. I think he out shined manning today. Manning has alot more talent around him amd yet alex smith outplayed him. Even though we lost it wasnt cuz of alex smith. It was bad refs, missed field goal and bad play calling.
What the hell is this habit of calling someone a hater when he offers criticism?! I have been an Alex smith supporter all along when a lot of others called him garbage. But go watch the two games. Half the time that he launched a pass longer than 10 yards he went high and long and out of reach of the receiver. A couple of times he was wide on those. And a couple of times the receiver made a great catch of inaccurate passes.

I didn't say he is garbage. I said he has no trust in his protection and so he hurries those passes. When he looks at the game tapes he'll see that the protection, while not great, was much better than last week. Maybe that improvement will continue and he and the Oline will work better in the future games, then.

And no, he didn't outshine Manning. Manning simply wasn't on the field a lot. Those passes he placed on the corner of the endzone were immaculate. I dislike Manning because he is a Donk, but let's not put AS in his class just yet.

jason1981
09-15-2014, 11:57 AM
What the hell is this habit of calling someone a hater when he offers criticism?! I have been an Alex smith supporter all along when a lot of others called him garbage. But go watch the two games. Half the time that he launched a pass longer than 10 yards he went high and long and out of reach of the receiver. A couple of times he was wide on those. And a couple of times the receiver made a great catch of inaccurate passes.

I didn't say he is garbage. I said he has no trust in his protection and so he hurries those passes. When he looks at the game tapes he'll see that the protection, while not great, was much better than last week. Maybe that improvement will continue and he and the Oline will work better in the future games, then.

And no, he didn't outshine Manning. Manning simply wasn't on the field a lot. Those passes he placed on the corner of the endzone were immaculate. I dislike Manning because he is a Donk, but let's not put AS in his class just yet.

Fair enough. Just tired of all the negative about smith when he has shown what he can do. He shown he can throw a ball over 10 yards and is great with his legs. I hate manning and his pick plays. His throws were great in the endzone but I am a manning hater and admit it.

Frankenchief
09-15-2014, 12:34 PM
I actually liked Manning until he signed with Denver. That's an unholy alliance. I hate him as a bronco, but the man has been a phenomenal QB for a long time. Hopefully the wear and tear will start showing up this very year.

As for Alex, he improved in his long(er) ball accuracy late last year. And not so coincidentally the Oline was finally gelling at the time. Now with the awful play of the Oline in the preseason and the first game he has regressed in that department, IMO. Again I think it's in his head, more so than his arm. Once he realizes that he can count on his protection somewhat he'll be more patient and accurate.

jason1981
09-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Agree. I just think everyone was saying je cant throw deep but there looking at the wrong place. They need to look at our oline and our wr. We dont have a wr that can get seperation or beat man coverage. And avery sucks at deep balls cuz hes not a jump ball kind of guy. I think smith could have made the same tight throws of manning if they wanted him to do that. But I dont think they practice that to extent that the donkies do. Though we should cuz you camt defend them much better and yet they was able to get the ball hut thats more on the wr on catching the balls in traffic than tje qb throwing it to them.

rodu
09-15-2014, 01:53 PM
so how bad has Santos looked through two games?

Eydugstr
09-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Good post, FC.

1) The Broncos expected us to fall flat on our backs. While this would be a lot better if we'd won, the Chiefs didn't give up.

2) Yes they did. If these guys can start to gel, and get a little more active when plays break down, watch out. Fisher did have a couple of bad plays, but all in all he's improving. Zach Fulton and LDT will improve as well.

3) Given the situation...With a patched together O-line, JC injured...thought Alex Smith did really good. The inconsistent one on offense, IMHO, was Donnie Avery.

4) Reid, in the post-game interview, was visibly upset about the two drives which ate up the clock and resulted in no TD's. We do need to make better use our TE's, and fullback, too.

5) True, but Denver fans can only blame Phil Simms for so much.

6) If I remember correctly...Those cleats have different lengths of stubs, Sometimes visiting teams choose the right lengths.....Sometimes not.

7) Our secondary needs help. Coaching and roster-wise.

mayanfootball
09-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Well, it was a loss, but it was a NOBLE loss
Blah, it's a loss. Again. In Denver. To Manning. Again. No imagination on offense. The DB's are playing scared. the LB's are clueless. This season is gonna get ugly

rodu
09-15-2014, 10:34 PM
ugh Donnie Avery...2 things. what will it take to get him off the field, and are the guys behind him that bad that they can't make it happen?

nigeriannightmare
09-15-2014, 10:50 PM
so how bad has Santos looked through two games?

In the games he's looked bad. Hopefully he can overcome the jitters. But so far not so good for the young rookie.

Eydugstr
09-16-2014, 07:52 AM
ugh Donnie Avery...2 things. what will it take to get him off the field, and are the guys behind him that bad that they can't make it happen?

My thoughts exactly. The guy is inconsistent. Enough's enough.

mayanfootball
09-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Agree. Avery is a reject WR that the Chiefs picked up. His catch/target ratio has always been pedestrian.
I'd sit him in favor of any "rookie" WR's we have. Avery should only play when injuries demand it.

Bike
09-18-2014, 05:42 AM
My random observation: 14-10 Donks lead. 5 minutes left in the half, Chiefs have the ball at midfield. 4th and a yard. And Reid elects to kick the ball Back to Manning? In Denver? Seriously? Manning promptly marches down the field for a 21-10 halftime lead. This was a huge mistake by Reid imho.

Eydugstr
09-18-2014, 06:53 AM
My random observation: 14-10 Donks lead. 5 minutes left in the half, Chiefs have the ball at midfield. 4th and a yard. And Reid elects to kick the ball Back to Manning? In Denver? Seriously? Manning promptly marches down the field for a 21-10 halftime lead. This was a huge mistake by Reid imho.

Agreed. Sometimes you need to have faith in your offense.

TopekaRoy
09-21-2014, 09:18 AM

Absolutely. The Chiefs were moving the ball pretty well in the open field. (It was near the goal line that they seemed to struggle.) If you convert, at the very least, You keep the Broncos offense off of the field for a little longer, and if you fail, it really doesn't matter much whether Manning has the ball near midfield or near his own 10 yard line; he's probably gonna score.

On the other hand, I think Reid was just showing his defense that he trusts them to get a stop on a long field. While his faith in the defense is admirable and overall the Chiefs defense did a pretty good job of slowing down the Broncos, I think his faith was misguided in this instance.