PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts about the Jets game....

Frankenchief
11-02-2014, 04:43 PM
In no particular order. I'll keep it short and sweet because I'm going back to the TV to root for Tommy Brady for once:

1- The AFC West just got real interesting. Go Patriots. we paid for several irreversible years of emulating you. You owe us.

2- Speaking of AFC West, how about them Dolphins?! I wish I could see Phyllis rivers' face today.

3- Back to our game, our D really pooped in the second half. we can't do this and get away with it against better teams as our O wasn't really helping the D much. Some, but not as much as we need against a real opponent. Something has to be done about that run defense.

4- How about D'anthony Thomas?! That man is lightning. He should not have brought out that Jets kick off late in the first half, but he did and he put us in the position to score the all important TD. When he took it out my immediate thought ws "Damn!... 90 yard drive attempt in the last two minutes of the half with Andy on the sideline. Scary thought.

5- Speaking of late game management, in the last 2.5 minutes of the game Andy was playing Jamaal to the ground and/or passing!!!! What's up with that. That should have been Knile Davis time to pound the Jets D. Instead, Andy was playing our finesse RB whom the Jets had figured out and exposing him to potential, unnecessary injury. Was Knile injured? Otherwise there's no excuse for this.

6- Two drafts ago, a good 75% of the Chiefs fans were pining for the can't-miss wonder QB Geno Smith. Who was that dude with a sour puss in a cap on the Jets sideline? Hmmm, .... Looks like we got the better Smith.

7- Several years ago the Broncos were picking third in the draft, and the proverbial "NEXT DERRICK THOMAS" fell into their lap. I think we can actually make the case that we might have gotten the better LB in the 3rd ROUND. In the pregames, Bill Cowher mentioned the Justin Houston has had 22 sacks in his last 19 games played. JJ Watts has 14.5 in HIS last 19. Mind boggling. PAY THE MAN!!!!

8- "ALLAHU SACK-BAR!".... That made me almost throw up my pop when my son texted it to me when Abdullah sacked Simms who was actually moving the Jets. I thought it was too hilarious not to pass it on.

matthewschiefs
11-02-2014, 05:16 PM
4. DAT is really exciting. I have been saying all year this is a young team we are going to have some weapons like DAT,Davis,Kelcie

We just got to let them grow up as players. We need one more above average WR to go along with Bowe and those weapons and this offense will be like 03

jap1
11-02-2014, 05:31 PM
1. I agree, although the Donks have a relatively easy schedule from here on out. Go Pats!

3. This game reminded me of the Colts playoff game last year, but thankfully the Jets are in shambles. Any other team and we would have seen a total defensive collapse. I'm hoping the 2nd half defensive softness was due to them taking the Jets softly.

4. Our D has to make the other team punt to put the ball in DAT's hands. He is leading the league in punt return average among players without a TD. He will break one open soon!

5. I don't have a problem with JC vs KD, but those passes were horrible. At least throw a high percentage pass like a screen to keep the clock running.

7. I'm just afraid that paying the man what he wants is going to cripple this team in salary cap. But yes, if he can keep up this performance, he is looking at a huge payday.

8. LOL. I like it.

brdempsey69
11-02-2014, 07:51 PM
7. I'm just afraid that paying the man what he wants is going to cripple this team in salary cap. But yes, if he can keep up this performance, he is looking at a huge payday.

Depends on what Houston wants. Probably 10 mill. a year at least. But, this is why you don't pass on quality pass-rushers in round 1 -- hence the drafting of Ford.

What appeared to be a doom and gloom season at the start, is instead showing very good progress for this team. And there's a full whack of draft picks in 2015.

Frankenchief
11-02-2014, 09:18 PM
What appeared to be a doom and gloom season at the start, is instead showing very good progress for this team. And there's a full whack of draft picks in 2015.
I, for one, had prepared myself for a lot of close losses that would give hope for the future. I still don't know if this year will end in the playoffs or beyond, but I've already gotten more thrill than I had expected.

ctchiefsfan
11-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Thank you gentlemen for letting me share the demolishment of the donks!!!!!

Playoffs.....We are in the hunt in a big way. I'm a little worried that we didn't PLASTER the Jets, but going back to another thread, I KNEW the Jets would play us tough. This was an easy game to lose, but we got an early lead and we held on. I can't complain too much. The road to the playoffs is still tough (thank you fish and splats) but if we can just keep winning the games we should and win half the tough ones then we'll get to the dance. And sure as hell if we get there this time we will break the curse.

Andy Reid and the coaches he brought with him......JFC!!!! AMAZING!!!!! We have discussed his faults and we know he has a pretty good share, but WOW! Just WOW!!!. You would have had to give me 20 to 1 money 3 months ago to get me to bet we'd be 5-3 at this point. And that would have been without knowing about the injuries we have taken this year. Andy Reid is the KING of "Next man up"!!! And those games against the donks and the 9ers were so damned close to making us 7-1......... against some of the best in the NFL. Those two losses hurt like a knife in the guts. Truth????? No reason we shouldn't be 8-0.

I can only blame this success on Reid (and a little bit on Dorsey too)....but if anybody has a better explanation for the turnaround from 2012 to now then just tell me I am FOS. I'll listen. But for right now, the only person I see to blame this amazing turnaround on is Andy Reid.

Super Bowl.....Not this year I don't think. But if we can hold onto Houston I think that with all the compensatory picks we have in the next draft we will be a serious contender for many years to come.

It sure as hell is FUN being a Chiefs fan these days!!!!!!

matthewschiefs
11-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Heres something else

THE FREAKING O LINE TODAY

The Jets came into today with 24 sacks same as the Chiefs they got 1 on the last pass that Alex threw. Alex said after the game he could have thrown it away but decided that just going down keeping the clock running would be the better choice. So it wasn't he didn't have any time he made that choice. The O line has come a LONG way.

NickheadKCAU
11-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Points allowed... this stat is the best thing going for the chiefs.... second fewest.

this includes playing denver, san diego, new england, and san fran.

only Detroit has allowed fewer points. and they are 6-2.

Chiefs4life24
11-03-2014, 10:03 AM
I guess I'm confused what is bothering you guys about the defense???? I may be the only one but I think imperfection is a little nice sometimes. Perfection is too damn boring for me that's why this team is so fun to me. I like the pass happy stuff, using the wrong back fine by me, as long as we get the w I don't care how they win or by how much. I personally think the blow out games are boring as hell and prefer the close last play games to those drab crap games. Believe in Big Red its all good my Chiefs bretherin!

Seek
11-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Heres something else

The Jets came into today with 24 sacks same as the Chiefs they got 1 on the last pass that Alex threw. Alex said after the game he could have thrown it away but decided that just going down keeping the clock running would be the better choice. So it wasn't he didn't have any time he made that choice. The O line has come a LONG way.

It was much better this week. Not so much last week. Fisher had a bad game last week.

The two negatives I have this week. Chris Johnson had no problems running at us specially before the end of the half.

Is Percy Harvin really that great that he is completely wide open constantly on the field with no one within 10 yards of him. We basically shut down Decker but Harvin just ran all over the place. I couldn't even tell who was supposed to be on him he wa so open. I did see Berry beat really bad once on the play that Vick should have been sacked.

brdempsey69
11-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Heres something else

Yes, the O-Line is making strides. They've become okay, not great, but they've made progress and have done a credible job going against some pretty good Defensive Front 7's. There's room for improvement, but this isn't the 2009 scenario by any means. Eric Fisher is doing a credible enough job thus far at LT and the other are improving as the season progresses.

ctchiefsfan
11-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Just so. The O-line is doing OK. Though not much more IMO. While they do look pretty darned good at run blocking (who wouldn't with JC carrying the rock?) their pass blocking leaves a bit to be desired. Our much maligned "dink and dunk" pass game is making the pass protection look better than it is.

brdempsey69
11-04-2014, 03:23 PM
If I had to make an assessment of the first half of this season, I'd have to say "good job of fighting back into contention after an 0-2 start". And I'd have to say one would be hard-pressed to substantially prove that statement to be incorrect.

ctchiefsfan
11-04-2014, 05:28 PM
I don't think anybody here would argue with that statement. We've recovered from a terrible start; beaten or fought to a standstill with some of the best teams in the NFL (SF and donks). Nothing is sure, but if we win the games we should and win 50% of our remaining tough games then we should make the playoffs. Won't be easy. So easy to lose a game we should win....and the tough games will be exactly that--TOUGH. There are 100 ways to blow this season....and maybe 25 ways to get into the playoffs. But with Reid running the show I feel our chances are better than they would have been than with almost any Head Coach we have had in a long time. Gotta admit though....I think that week 1 loss may come back and bite us right in the ash.

Eydugstr
11-04-2014, 05:46 PM
If I had to make an assessment of the first half of this season, I'd have to say "good job of fighting back into contention after an 0-2 start". And I'd have to say one would be hard-pressed to substantially prove that statement to be incorrect.

Very true. This team has really dug itself out of a hole, and has turned itself into a hiccup more popular/talented teams have to face. As a fan I'm very cool with that.

With that being said, we can't get too comfortable. If KC wants a playoff game, they've got to earn it. We've got a very tough Bills team to face in Buffalo, and need to prove that last year's win in Buffalo is no fluke. They're 5-3, and coming off a stretch of games that they've won 3 out of the last four with a QB that is really gaining their trust. A lot of people thought that the Jets game was going to be a trap game...I've felt the Buffalo game was going to be the one where we might stub our toes.

Fortunately we've got some things going for us. Part of Reid's intelligence is NOT showing his hand. I'd wager good money that's why we went vanilla both defensively and offensively in the second half of the Jets game. The other thing that we've got going for us, is that Orton has a track record of choking up we he gets close to the red zone. We saw it when he was with the Bears, when he was with the Donks, and when he was with the Chiefs. He's an awesome QB when he's got the space and his yardage reflects it, but when his recievers have less running space and the coverage tightens up, so does Orton.

We've got our work cut out for us, though. Nobody's talking much about it but this has all the elements to make itself a really good game. If we march in there and come out with a W, the media pundits will be tripping over their words looking for excuses, saying "Well they need to beat Denver..." which is VERY true, but we'd be hearing that knowing that we've swept the AFC East. If we lose, while not a catastrophe, we'd be in a position at the end of the season where we'd be down another notch in the AFC playoff race (which is very tight).

Frankenchief
11-04-2014, 11:45 PM
I don't think anybody here would argue with that statement. We've recovered from a terrible start; beaten or fought to a standstill with some of the best teams in the NFL (SF and donks). Nothing is sure, but if we win the games we should and win 50% of our remaining tough games then we should make the playoffs. Won't be easy. So easy to lose a game we should win....and the tough games will be exactly that--TOUGH. There are 100 ways to blow this season....and maybe 25 ways to get into the playoffs. But with Reid running the show I feel our chances are better than they would have been than with almost any Head Coach we have had in a long time. Gotta admit though....I think that week 1 loss may come back and bite us right in the ash.
Bills this actually scare me. We almost never seem to beat them when we should.

brdempsey69
11-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Bills this actually scare me. We almost never seem to beat them when we should.

I'll 2nd that one there. The Bills seemingly turn into supermen when they play KC and last year the Chiefs were lucky to get out of there with a win. Two years in a row is going to be downright tough.

Frankenchief
11-05-2014, 02:44 PM
I'll 2nd that one there. The Bills seemingly turn into supermen when they play KC and last year the Chiefs were lucky to get out of there with a win. Two years in a row is going to be downright tough.
Last year we got the break but other than that I don't really recall a lot of success against them for ages.

ctchiefsfan
11-05-2014, 03:18 PM
I too am worried about the Bills game. They have the same record as we do and this game is on the road. And they have beaten some decent teams. This is not a do or die must win game but losing would make getting to the playoffs a LOT tougher. This is a game we should win but it is not a "gimme" by any stretch of the imagination. Reid needs to put together a game plan that will beflumox and befuddle them.

TopekaRoy
11-08-2014, 01:44 AM
3- Back to our game, our D really pooped in the second half. we can't do this and get away with it against better teams as our O wasn't really helping the D much. Some, but not as much as we need against a real opponent. Something has to be done about that run defense.

You do realize we shut out the Jets in the 2nd half, right? All 10 of their points came in the first half. This reminds me of all the Broncos fans that look at Denver having the number 1 Power Ranking and saying they should be ranked higher!

The Chiefs run defense dosn't really concern me because they haven't given up a single rushing TD this season. The 3rd down conversion rate against the Chiefs is 33%, 3rd best in the NFL. If their run defense is so bad, why don't teams just run the ball on 3rd and short? They'd get a first down almost every time. I'll discuss this further in a seperate thread with some facts that may surprise some of you.

5- Speaking of late game management, in the last 2.5 minutes of the game Andy was playing Jamaal to the ground and/or passing!!!! What's up with that. That should have been Knile Davis time to pound the Jets D. Instead, Andy was playing our finesse RB whom the Jets had figured out and exposing him to potential, unnecessary injury. Was Knile injured? Otherwise there's no excuse for this.

I've heard this complaint a lot in the last week and I'm not sure I agree with it. Knile had 3 carries for 9 yds. His longest run was 4 yds. He probably should have gotten more carries throughout the game, but the Jets have an excellent run defense and if they knew Davis was getting the ball, they probably would have shut him down. Not only is Jamaal a better rusher, but he provides the added threat of being able to catch the ball out of the backfield. This makes our offense less predictable and harder to defend against. It makes sense (to me, anyway) that Reid would want to have his best offensive weapon in the game when he is trying to get first downs to keep our offense on the field and run out the clock.

6- Two drafts ago, a good 75% of the Chiefs fans were pining for the can't-miss wonder QB Geno Smith. Who was that dude with a sour puss in a cap on the Jets sideline? Hmmm, .... Looks like we got the better Smith.

No doubt, Alexander is far better than Eugene. It may be because he wouldn't shut up about it but MyManHali is the only one here that I remember clammoring for Geno. I'm sure there were others, though.

7- Several years ago the Broncos were picking third in the draft, and the proverbial "NEXT DERRICK THOMAS" fell into their lap. I think we can actually make the case that we might have gotten the better LB in the 3rd ROUND. In the pregames, Bill Cowher mentioned the Justin Houston has had 22 sacks in his last 19 games played. JJ Watts has 14.5 in HIS last 19. Mind boggling. PAY THE MAN!!!!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/56057676.jpg

8- "ALLAHU SACK-BAR!".... That made me almost throw up my pop when my son texted it to me when Abdullah sacked Simms who was actually moving the Jets. I thought it was too hilarious not to pass it on.[/QUOTE]

http://www.religifake.com/image/religion/1207/allahu-snackbar-allahu-akbar-snackbar-kebab-falafel-religion-1343160229.jpg

jap1
11-08-2014, 06:24 AM
You do realize we shut out the Jets in the 2nd half, right? All 10 of their points came in the first half. This reminds me of all the Broncos fans that look at Denver having the number 1 Power Ranking and saying they should be ranked higher!

The Chiefs run defense dosn't really concern me because they haven't given up a single rushing TD this season. The 3rd down conversion rate against the Chiefs is 33%, 3rd best in the NFL. If their run defense is so bad, why don't teams just run the ball on 3rd and short? They'd get a first down almost every time. I'll discuss this further in a seperate thread with some facts that may surprise some of you.

Id love to discuss this more. I feel like our run D is weak, especially in the nickel. Our base defense is good against the run, hence why no rushing TDs, which typically occur on the goalline, when we are in base d or goalline D. I'm not sure why more teams aren't trying to run more against us, especially one 3rd and medium. I'm worried that our defense cannot sustain this success without being stronger against the run. I think part of it is that we have never really given up a significant lead to allow the other team to switch into clock eating mode.

chiefnut
11-08-2014, 10:37 AM
I believe the jets game was a let down. everything was in place for the CHIEFS to lay a big time beating on them. It is always that type of scenario that plays out in reverse. I am thrilled that we won the game. harvin had a big day, vick looked really good. this week should tell us a lot more about this team.

TopekaRoy
11-08-2014, 11:15 AM
... and yet, the Chiefs still won by 2 TDs. When that's a bad game, you know you have something special!

ctchiefsfan
11-08-2014, 02:07 PM
I believe the jets game was a let down. everything was in place for the CHIEFS to lay a big time beating on them. It is always that type of scenario that plays out in reverse. I am thrilled that we won the game. harvin had a big day, vick looked really good. this week should tell us a lot more about this team.

... and yet, the Chiefs still won by 2 TDs. When that's a bad game, you know you have something special!

Y'know I really understand what you both are saying. I was able to watch the game thanks to Topeka's IGT links to streams of the game and at the end of the game I felt strangely let down. I was glad we won but I didn't feel we had won like we should have. It really speaks volumes about this team that we as Chiefs fans are not only getting to the point where we EXPECT to win but also when it comes to weak teams like the Jets we EXPECT to win big. Reid, Dorsey, the rest of the coaching staff and this team have substantially raised the bar of fan expectations.

Frankenchief
11-09-2014, 11:03 PM
You mean the same Jets that spanked mighty Rapistberger and his hot team today?

Suddenly the importance of our win against them is put in the right perspective, isn't it?

jap1
11-09-2014, 11:36 PM
It seems like every team we play picks it up after we beat them. NE, Miami, Jets.

ctchiefsfan
11-09-2014, 11:39 PM
You mean the same Jets that spanked mighty Rapistberger and his hot team today?

Suddenly the importance of our win against them is put in the right perspective, isn't it?

You got that right!!!!!!