PDA

View Full Version : Eric Berry with possible lymphoma

Bike
11-24-2014, 05:28 PM
KMBC is reporting that Berry will miss the rest of the year due to a large mass on the right side of his chest. This is terrible news.

matthewschiefs
11-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Sucks to here best of luck to Eric Berry

Justin5772002
11-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Prayers to Eric and his family to have strength to get through this tough time

N TX Dave
11-24-2014, 06:45 PM
He needs to worry about himself first and foremast and not worry about football/Chiefs for now. Prayers go out to him and his family and hope God has more plans for him here on earth.

jap1
11-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Best of luck to Berry. Im hoping it is a treatable form of lymphoma if that is what it is. I have to say, I thought he looked really sluggish/slow this week, but being the first game I saw of him since he returned from the injury, I just thought he wasnt 100%. I wouldnt be surprised if this is also why it took him so long to recover from a sprained ankle. Lymphoma really screws with your immune/healing processes.

This defense and team has had the worst luck with injuries this year. At least we know that Parker can fill the SS role well. I just hope we have someone healthy enough to play CB. It may be time for Gaines to step up or Cooper to come back out of obscurity.

Chiefster
11-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Prayers to Eric and his family to have strength to get through this tough time

...X2!

brdempsey69
11-24-2014, 07:12 PM
This is bad. Very bad. Hardly nothing has gone right for this man since he was drafted.

ctchiefsfan
11-24-2014, 07:21 PM
That just stinks. Sincerely hope he is able to overcome this.

kcvet
11-24-2014, 07:46 PM
my god. that's awful. hopefully treatable, there's 2 types non-Hodgkin's (about 90% of cases) and Hodgkin's (about 10%). former FLOTUS Jackie Kenney died of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in May of 94

BuyaBoatfromBlake
11-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Damn. . .Cancer Sucks
#Berrystrong

brdempsey69
11-24-2014, 09:26 PM
I can tell you from the personal experience of 11 chemotherapy treatments, that those chemicals that the cancer treatment centers pump in to you are downright VICIOUS!! It's like going though a very bad LSD trip and I'm not kidding. You're left with a continued horrible taste in your mouth because those chemicals kill healthy forms of digestive bacteria and it is just awful. Your fingertips constantly tingle and you can't drink anything cold.

Bike
11-24-2014, 10:37 PM
I can tell you from the personal experience of 11 chemotherapy treatments, that those chemicals that the cancer treatment centers pump in to you are downright VICIOUS!! It's like going though a very bad LSD trip and I'm not kidding. You're left with a continued horrible taste in your mouth because those chemicals kill healthy forms of digestive bacteria and it is just awful. Your fingertips constantly tingle and you can't drink anything cold.
Sorry you had to go through that. I certainly hope you don't have to again.

jap1
11-24-2014, 11:25 PM
From what I've read, it sounds like they may have caught it early. The only way they found it was because he had an MRI because they couldn't figure outta why he had chest pain. It didn't show up on the X-rays they did, which means it must not be too large/dense yet. Hopefully that gives him a better chance at beating this.

brdempsey69
11-25-2014, 03:01 AM
Sorry you had to go through that. I certainly hope you don't have to again.

Thanks. My treatment was as a precaution for colon cancer surgery that was successful. That was 4 years ago and I've been OK and closely examined with negative results since.

Poor Eric Berry, though. I know exactly what he will go through. Those chemicals that he'll get pumped into him will make him a borderline zombie. They are nasty & he'll long for the day that he no longer has to have them pumped into him.

Eydugstr
11-25-2014, 07:46 AM
From what I've read, it sounds like they may have caught it early. The only way they found it was because he had an MRI because they couldn't figure outta why he had chest pain. It didn't show up on the X-rays they did, which means it must not be too large/dense yet. Hopefully that gives him a better chance at beating this.

I certainly hope this is the case. Wouldn't wish chemotherapy on anybody. Hope he recovers soon.

N TX Dave
11-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks. My treatment was as a precaution for colon cancer surgery that was successful. That was 4 years ago and I've been OK and closely examined with negative results since.

Poor Eric Berry, though. I know exactly what he will go through. Those chemicals that he'll get pumped into him will make him a borderline zombie. They are nasty & he'll long for the day that he no longer has to have them pumped into him.

I know it was a pain going through but at least it has given you 4 more plus years of life so it was worth it. I do not envy anyone that has to go through the procedure, it may be the end of Eric's NFL career because of the damage it does to the body no one knows all we can do for him now is pray and thank God you survived it all.

brdempsey69
11-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Not sure if anyone here remembers the story of Bears RB Brian Piccolo who was detected with cancer during the 1969 season and passed away in June of 1970.

We do not want that scenario here with Berry and like jap1 said they got to him early, so there's hope with the proper treatment he'll get through it.

Eydugstr
11-25-2014, 05:03 PM
"Brian's song".

ctchiefsfan
11-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Not sure if anyone here remembers the story of Bears RB Brian Piccolo who was detected with cancer during the 1969 season and passed away in June of 1970.

We do not want that scenario here with Berry and like jap1 said they got to him early, so there's hope with the proper treatment he'll get through it.

I don't remember it happening, but I remember "Brian's Story". Read it or watched it somewhere along the line.

We all wish EB the best and a speedy recovery. Being realistic however it's not easy to imagine seeing him in a Chiefs uniform again. Assuming recovery, it's still hard to imagine he will ever be able to play pro football again. I hope he will, but I'm not pinning any hopes on it. It sucks but that is just the way I see things.

"Brian's song".

kcvet
11-25-2014, 06:26 PM

yes I remember that. they even made a movie called Brian's song. for the first time a black and white roomed together. his room mate was Gale Sayers

jap1
11-26-2014, 02:43 AM
I don't remember it happening, but I remember "Brian's Story". Read it or watched it somewhere along the line.

We all wish EB the best and a speedy recovery. Being realistic however it's not easy to imagine seeing him in a Chiefs uniform again. Assuming recovery, it's still hard to imagine he will ever be able to play pro football again. I hope he will, but I'm not pinning any hopes on it. It sucks but that is just the way I see things.

Its still a bit early to discuss this type of thing, but there never really is a "good" time. We have to figure out sometime in the offseason whether he is going to be able to recover from the treatments sufficiently to play for us next season. I have no idea if he sits out next season how that will affect his contract (next year is his last year) or how it will affect our salary cap (does it count against us if he doesn't play at all). Hopefully someone may be able to answer those questions for us.

chief31
11-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Wow. I really hope for the best for him. Football aside, I would hate to see that happen to anybody.

I will be wearing my #29 jersey a lot though.

ctchiefsfan
11-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Its still a bit early to discuss this type of thing, but there never really is a "good" time. We have to figure out sometime in the offseason whether he is going to be able to recover from the treatments sufficiently to play for us next season. I have no idea if he sits out next season how that will affect his contract (next year is his last year) or how it will affect our salary cap (does it count against us if he doesn't play at all). Hopefully someone may be able to answer those questions for us.

Important questions.

Eydugstr
11-26-2014, 04:13 PM
yes I remember that. they even made a movie called Brian's song. for the first time a black and white roomed together. his room mate was Gale Sayers

I'd like to find a copy, but a lot of that came from a book called "I Am Third" by Gale Sayers.

Justin5772002
11-26-2014, 05:06 PM

Medicine has come a long way since 1969

N TX Dave
11-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Yes in the movie he figured out what was wrong with him. He told Gale that he was pregnant.

ctchiefsfan
11-26-2014, 08:21 PM

It most certainly has! In the last 18 months 2 of my old college buddies have been diagnosed with cancer. Today, both of them are "cancer free". And as EB said himself. Early detection and he has the best health care available to him. In '69 Brian Piccolo probably played with pain for a number of years before he said anything. The NFL takes much better care of it's players than they did 45 years ago.

N TX Dave
11-26-2014, 10:43 PM
You can get a copy from amazon for $10.29.

brdempsey69
11-27-2014, 03:14 AM

I've experienced the medicine first-hand.