PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else getting frustrated with the play of Alex Smith?

Bike
12-08-2014, 02:48 PM
It is becoming more apparent to me that Smith does not have the ability to improvise on the fly. If his first option is covered, he seemingly can't pick out 2nd or 3rd reads that are open down field. He then holds on to the ball much too long and either gets sacked or runs (which works well at times). His inability to throw the ball downfield has allowed opposing defenses to stuff the box, and, well, you know the rest. I realize we don't have the greatest WR's in the NFL, but Bowe and Avant are vets, and our TE's are above average. I like Alex Smith, but a change may be in order to get this team to the next level.

mejohnm
12-08-2014, 03:18 PM
His throw to Avant last night was pretty good and it was not his first read. I watch a lot of the Chiefs and some of the other teams just as the rest of you. I might not know football all that much but I believe that we need some much better WR before we should say it is time for a new QB.

matthewschiefs
12-08-2014, 04:47 PM
What is frustrating is the constant blaming Of Alex Smith

The downfield BLAH BLAH stuff is NOT ON ALEX

Did people not here trent green yesterday Not only did he constantly say that WRs WERE NOT GETTING OPEN but he said they weren't even running routs downfield SO WHO IS ALEX SUPPOSE TO THROW TO DOWNFIELD?????????????????????????????????????

I have said this time and time again We have Changed QBS 8 times 8 FREAKING TIMES and had the SAME PROBLEMS. You want to no what hasn't changed our WR core has been Bowe and average to below average WRs at best. MAYBE MAYBE we should fix that? JUST ONCE before going to QB 9

Avant is case in point he has been on this team for 2 weeks. In both his first 2 games he has out preformed Bowe. Avant got open down the field and ALEX GOT HIM THE FREAKING BALL.

Show me WRs getting open downfield and I will agree that Smith is the problem but outside of 1 play in Oakland you can't do it. Yes Alex has made mistakes yesterday he missed Bowe on a downfield throw. So does every other QB. But other QBs don't have this joke of a wr core.

Seek
12-08-2014, 05:13 PM
His throw to Avant last night was pretty good and it was not his first read. I watch a lot of the Chiefs and some of the other teams just as the rest of you. I might not know football all that much but I believe that we need some much better WR before we should say it is time for a new QB.

One thing I noticed, and have been waiting for is the chance for Albert Wilson to get some playing time. It hink Alex is starting to rely on him and trust him as he was targeted a lot more yesterdayt than the entire year. He missed a pass thrown a little behind him that he should have caught, but I think that is the first ball thrown his way that was not a catch.

I look to see more from this kids. You can tell he has a ton of heart and actually has some good talent. He Drew a PI penalty on a play that the ball was not thrown to him and he beat Antonie Cromartie so bad that he had to grab him as he would have been streaking wide open up the field. It was a pretty good move. Fact of the matter he caught more passes than Bowe, but that run by Bowe to get a first down towards the end of the game. Was awesome.

N TX Dave
12-08-2014, 07:17 PM
No I am not getting frustrated by the play of Smith. I am getting tired of our play from the OL and WR. The OL has not given Smith more than a couple of seconds to get the ball down field 40 yards that everyone says he can't do, of course he can't because we do not have a WR that can get down field 40 yards in 2 seconds in fact no team does. When your QB has to start scrambling two seconds after the snap you have a hard time looking at a 2nd and 3rd receiver while looking at the rush coming at you. He gets about 3 steps into his 5 step drop and he is dodging the defense coming after him. It all starts up front which can run block and run pull but can not stop a strong pass rush.

jason1981
12-08-2014, 10:06 PM
It is becoming more apparent to me that Smith does not have the ability to improvise on the fly. If his first option is covered, he seemingly can't pick out 2nd or 3rd reads that are open down field. He then holds on to the ball much too long and either gets sacked or runs (which works well at times). His inability to throw the ball downfield has allowed opposing defenses to stuff the box, and, well, you know the rest. I realize we don't have the greatest WR's in the NFL, but Bowe and Avant are vets, and our TE's are above average. I like Alex Smith, but a change may be in order to get this team to the next level.

The real queation is anyone getting frustrated by the alex smith haters?

You obviously dont watch all the games. Where are all the wr that are open that your talking about? We ha e the worst wr group in the league and a below average oline. If you watched the game you would have heard trent green say over and over no wr are getting open and that they werent even wr running down field. There was coverage sacks beaides the sacks the oline gave up. Smith is more than capable. Hes not the one who calls all the short passing plays bit we have to call the short passing plays cuz our oline cant block that long amd when they do theres no wr open.
Me personally think reid should fire himself at play calling. Tired of every week saying we should give charles the ball more but than never does. Hes a good coach bit sucks at play calling. Reid needs ro play to the teams strength instead of making the team play the he wants with the pass heavy calls when we are not suited that way. No wr have a td and thats all on the wr. Even bad qbs throw tds and even good wr get td passes from bad qbs. It says more about the wr than it does the qb.

matthewschiefs
12-08-2014, 10:38 PM
The real queation is anyone getting frustrated by the alex smith haters?

THIS

Where are all the wr that are open that your talking about? We ha e the worst wr group in the league and a below average oline. If you watched the game you would have heard trent green say over and over no wr are getting open and that they werent even wr running down field.

AGAIN THIS

The people who bash Smith want to ignore this but you just can't It's not just Trent Green to be calling a game to say this. Rich Gannon former MVP qb has said it. Phil Sims former superbowl MVP QB has said it. QBS that have played the position who have called the games have said it EVERY TIME.

What do the Smith bashers reley on 1 photo of Bowe being open (YES ALEX MISSED ONE YOU GOT HIM HE'S NOT PERFECT) And Solomon Wilicox claiming that a WR (A.J Jekins) was "open" when he had a defender right on him. Sure Smith could have led him and maybe he does catch it. But consider who the WR was. The guy who has dropped many open passes and with a wide open field in front of him for a td Stepped out of bounds. WHY SHOULD ALEX TRUST HIM to take that chance? What have any of our WRs done to EARN THAT TRUST. You can say Bowe has and sure theres reason to trust him but he's not running open all the time. He has on a number of occasions just quit on a play. It's very telling that Avant has outpreformed Bowe in his 2 games with the Chiefs. Alex had no problem getting him the ball when he got open down the field That should tell you something about where the problem lies. Going into the season I thought the D was going to be the reason for my rants this season. But it's turned out to be the WR group (or lack there off)

The O line has left a lot to be desired as well. I'm not as much on them because unlike the WR group they have had some good points this year. This is a VERY young O line. They are defently playing like it. But they have despite being that young group played better then the WRs on this team. Though that's not saying much

Eydugstr
12-08-2014, 11:04 PM
THIS

AGAIN THIS

The people who bash Smith want to ignore this but you just can't It's not just Trent Green to be calling a game to say this. Rich Gannon former MVP qb has said it. Phil Sims former superbowl MVP QB has said it. QBS that have played the position who have called the games have said it EVERY TIME.

What do the Smith bashers reley on 1 photo of Bowe being open (YES ALEX MISSED ONE YOU GOT HIM HE'S NOT PERFECT) And Solomon Wilicox claiming that a WR (A.J Jekins) was "open" when he had a defender right on him. Sure Smith could have led him and maybe he does catch it. But consider who the WR was. The guy who has dropped many open passes and with a wide open field in front of him for a td Stepped out of bounds. WHY SHOULD ALEX TRUST HIM to take that chance? What have any of our WRs done to EARN THAT TRUST. You can say Bowe has and sure theres reason to trust him but he's not running open all the time. He has on a number of occasions just quit on a play. It's very telling that Avant has outpreformed Bowe in his 2 games with the Chiefs. Alex had no problem getting him the ball when he got open down the field That should tell you something about where the problem lies. Going into the season I thought the D was going to be the reason for my rants this season. But it's turned out to be the WR group (or lack there off)

The O line has left a lot to be desired as well. I'm not as much on them because unlike the WR group they have had some good points this year. This is a VERY young O line. They are defently playing like it. But they have despite being that young group played better then the WRs on this team. Though that's not saying much

Len Dawson has said it the point where he's quit saying it (about our recievers not getting open or just finding an open spot in the field, or at least running in the same direction as the QB did when the play broke down...)

Another thing I've noticed...The two areas of our team that's under fire right now...The WR's and OL...both coached by one guy. If it's a situation where the coach is being spread too thin, then we should pick up a dedicated WR or OL coach that can focus on the WR or OL.

jason1981
12-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Len Dawson has said it the point where he's quit saying it (about our recievers not getting open or just finding an open spot in the field, or at least running in the same direction as the QB did when the play broke down...)

Another thing I've noticed...The two areas of our team that's under fire right now...The WR's and OL...both coached by one guy. If it's a situation where the coach is being spread too thin, then we should pick up a dedicated WR or OL coach that can focus on the WR or OL.

Is that true one guy coaches both our oline and wrs? If so that explains alot. Fire the guy cuz he sucks at both spots.

jap1
12-08-2014, 11:18 PM
I don't think that is true. Culley is the wr coach and the OL is Heck and Chung according to the official website.

Eydugstr
12-09-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't think that is true. Culley is the wr coach and the OL is Heck and Chung according to the official website.

That's my bad, then jap - At one point Culley was coaching both WR's and Oline. Hadn't checked if they had made changes there.

Seek
12-09-2014, 01:16 PM

I totally agree. He can't improvise a lick. I mean on the TD Fasano had that was called back. Rolling out like he did to buy time, and then read a tight end run to an open spot of the field clearly after his route was over. Horrible improvision there. Sorry for the Sarcasmn there but I think you are directing your frustrations at the wrong person.

Alex has done so much over the last two years to make me believe in him but for the most part he is doing what is asked of him. Andy Reids system has never really had a stud receiver. He has alwasy dumped off to the running back for a screen, or focused on a the Tight end, or focused on the small fast slot type of receiver.

I have though since the Raiders game, the play calling has been horrific. They are trying to run way to many screens or dump offs and team are prepared for it. Look at the play off game last year. Once Charles went down, the offense exploded mostly because the play book was opened up and Alex stepped up huge. The Oakland game. For seven minutes the offense stopped messing around and attacked and they scored with some bigger than normal yards up the middle.

I don't think it is Alex. I think it is just a team cluster F. Our offensive line can't handle a blitz, our receivers don't get immediately open and our play calling is try to protect these weaknesses.

If anything I am getting frustrated with Alex maybe holding on to the ball to long knowing he does not have that kind of time and I would like for him to take some risk and stretch the field, just to keep the defense a little honest instead of taking the dink and dunks that the defense is giving them forcing them into 3rd and long situations where they can just pin their ears back and rush or sack us with ease.

doobs_05
12-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Didn't avant have to slow down and come back to it?

mejohnm
12-09-2014, 04:41 PM
For not stepping into his throw, it looked like Avant only had to jump up to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwU6JWIv7fw&feature=youtu.be

matthewschiefs
12-09-2014, 05:04 PM
For not stepping into his throw, it looked like Avant only had to jump up to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwU6JWIv7fw&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for posting

Watch Kelce on the 3rd down play. That highlites my point. Hes pretty much just standing there looking at Alex like Ummmm what do i do. How is he suppose to "give them a chance to make a play" doing that?

Has Alex miss a guy here and there sure has. Has he missed some throws yep. Guess what so has Brady,Manning,Rodgers Ect. But other teams WRs and TES don't QUIT as much as ours do. That's the biggest issue with the offense more then Alex Smith not getting it done

Eydugstr
12-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks for posting

Watch Kelce on the 3rd down play. That highlites my point. Hes pretty much just standing there looking at Alex like Ummmm what do i do. How is he suppose to "give them a chance to make a play" doing that?

Has Alex miss a guy here and there sure has. Has he missed some throws yep. Guess what so has Brady,Manning,Rodgers Ect. But other teams WRs and TES don't QUIT as much as ours do. That's the biggest issue with the offense more then Alex Smith not getting it done

Agreed. It's like they're so focused on the route, when the play falls apart they have no "plan B", so they either try to keep running the route or just stand there and without a clue.

matthewschiefs
12-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Agreed. It's like they're so focused on the route, when the play falls apart they have no "plan B", so they either try to keep running the route or just stand there and without a clue.

It's all about effort for me. Or lack of effort in this case. Watching that and seeing that same effort given by the WRs over the year If you or I but in that effort we would be standing in the unemployment line right now.

Alex HAS made the effort he has once again this season kept plays alive or made plays with his legs when needed. Yet all people want to say is "he doesn't give the wrs a chance to make a play" well how can he when they are not giving themselves a chance. Instead they just quit. I was saying this in the offseaon until we actually build talent around the QB and not just stick to Bowe and some random guys out there it won't matter if we change to QB #9 the results will be the same. Upgrades are a MUST they have been a must for some time now. Kelce has shown a ton of promise he's pretty much a rookie although this is his 2nd year. So we have hope there. Outside of that we don't have much hope to go along with Bowe. And Bowe can be just as much at fault for this as the rest of the random guys I refuse to call them WRS anymore. Maybe Avant can be the help we need

mejohnm
12-10-2014, 01:51 AM
Even in this weeks Shame Report, number 5 goes to the Chiefs WR's.

doobs_05
12-10-2014, 12:50 PM
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/8VSPaJ2f2BaIwWAjzsDLIkFniuY=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2534378/3.0.pngHe hits Sherman instead of bowehttps://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ZJ2oTbVk_ttAnqco7MgbTlc7BRQ=/62x0:737x450/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/44311376/offense.0.0.pngLet's go for the safe throw, but that's just a few examples of smith playing "too safe", but good write up on our offense http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/12/10/7362461/kansas-city-chiefs-offense-right-now

mejohnm
12-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Good read.

Ryfo18
12-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Alex is missing guys open down field, and it's been going on for two years now. Turn on any game from the last two years on the All-22 overhead camera and you'll see it. O-line play is meh. WRs are meh, but Alex is also terrible at throwing the ball outside the numbers.

This team will rarely win or lose b/c of Alex Smith. He's like 3-27 all-time when the opponents score 24 or more points. If he doesn't have success early in games, he's not going to bring you back. With 2 minutes left last week and only needing a field goal, I couldn't have felt more doomed. Trailing by one score with < 3 minutes left, Alex is 0-5 as a Chief.

He's the QB though, until at least 2017 thanks to that contract, so hopefully the team around him can get better so this team can do something.

Eydugstr
12-11-2014, 04:34 PM
It's all about effort for me. Or lack of effort in this case. Watching that and seeing that same effort given by the WRs over the year If you or I but in that effort we would be standing in the unemployment line right now.

Alex HAS made the effort he has once again this season kept plays alive or made plays with his legs when needed. Yet all people want to say is "he doesn't give the wrs a chance to make a play" well how can he when they are not giving themselves a chance. Instead they just quit. I was saying this in the offseaon until we actually build talent around the QB and not just stick to Bowe and some random guys out there it won't matter if we change to QB #9 the results will be the same. Upgrades are a MUST they have been a must for some time now. Kelce has shown a ton of promise he's pretty much a rookie although this is his 2nd year. So we have hope there. Outside of that we don't have much hope to go along with Bowe. And Bowe can be just as much at fault for this as the rest of the random guys I refuse to call them WRS anymore. Maybe Avant can be the help we need

Actually I'd argue the results might be worse. Not everyone has Alex's ability to scramble. I'm not even sure Joe Montana could do anything with this batch of WR's. The past season and a half have been filled with drops and recievers not making a second effort. Bowe is still probably the best WR we have, but given some of the Bowe follies we've had over the past few season my guess is he's heading towards a different team that will probably give him a better offer than the Chiefs will.

I'm beginning to think Avant might be the best litmus test of what's going on with the WR's. If Avant's play starts turning to mush like all the rest of the WR's, I'd put the microscope on the WR coaching. If Avant breaks out and begins to shine as a weapon, start looking at replacing the entire WR corp next offseason.

Why Alex Smith continues to get scapegoated I'll never understand. Look at the results, not the player popularity polls or FF pro gambling guides. This team was 2-14 before him, 11-5 with him first season, and we're in the hunt for a playoff spot this year. How well are the guys from the '13 QB draft class doing? Life is peaches & cream in SF's locker room now?

matthewschiefs
12-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Actually I'd argue the results might be worse. Not everyone has Alex's ability to scramble. I'm not even sure Joe Montana could do anything with this batch of WR's. The past season and a half have been filled with drops and recievers not making a second effort. Bowe is still probably the best WR we have, but given some of the Bowe follies we've had over the past few season my guess is he's heading towards a different team that will probably give him a better offer than the Chiefs will.

I'm beginning to think Avant might be the best litmus test of what's going on with the WR's. If Avant's play starts turning to mush like all the rest of the WR's, I'd put the microscope on the WR coaching. If Avant breaks out and begins to shine as a weapon, start looking at replacing the entire WR corp next offseason.

Why Alex Smith continues to get scapegoated I'll never understand. Look at the results, not the player popularity polls or FF pro gambling guides. This team was 2-14 before him, 11-5 with him first season, and we're in the hunt for a playoff spot this year. How well are the guys from the '13 QB draft class doing? Life is peaches & cream in SF's locker room now?

The QB is often the scapegoat it has been for this team for a long time.

I said it all through the time Cassel was the QB. It wasn't all on Cassel like some wanted to make it out to be. The problems that this team had with Cassel were the same problems that they had before him. The problems have always remained the same. So maybe it's time to address those problems instead just pluging in yet anther QB. Smith hasn't been perfect no one is claiming that he has been. He has made mistakes. He has missed guys he has missed some throws. But if you're making a list of things that are holding this offense back Smith is pretty low on the list. Charles might be the only person lower on that list

I also find it funny that the same people screaming for Smith to "take a shot" are the same people who Blasted Cassel for all his turnovers no matter if it had bounced off a wrs hands or not. If Smith was being risky with the ball and turning it over often they would be screaming that he was just like Cassel . He just can't win with some people

brdempsey69
12-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Alex is missing guys open down field, and it's been going on for two years now. Turn on any game from the last two years on the All-22 overhead camera and you'll see it. O-line play is meh. WRs are meh, but Alex is also terrible at throwing the ball outside the numbers.

This team will rarely win or lose b/c of Alex Smith. He's like 3-27 all-time when the opponents score 24 or more points. If he doesn't have success early in games, he's not going to bring you back. With 2 minutes left last week and only needing a field goal, I couldn't have felt more doomed. Trailing by one score with < 3 minutes left, Alex is 0-5 as a Chief.

He's the QB though, until at least 2017 thanks to that contract, so hopefully the team around him can get better so this team can do something.

Truth is truth, right there. Alex does need to find a way to bring the Chiefs from behind, although as a 49er, he did do it in the playoff game against N.O. in 2011, so it's not impossible.

jason1981
12-12-2014, 03:09 AM
Give him a good oline where he trust his oline he will look down field more. We really need a deshawn jackson type of receiver. Plus i cant put all his misses all on him. With the oline he never seems to be able to get into a rythym or having any timing down with the receivers. In the playoff game last year he was in rythym and in sink with the receivers and he hasnt had that all year.

Justin5772002
12-12-2014, 08:31 AM

We didn't win any of them but look how Alex did in the second part of last season. He was putting up huge numbers and points by throwing the ball downfield. Alex has the arm and within this week or next week look for him to get the ball downfield more often with Avant.

ctchiefsfan
12-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Yup. Avant is starting to look like the proverbial "canary in a coal mine."

matthewschiefs
12-12-2014, 01:35 PM
1]We didn't win any of them but look how Alex did in the second part of last season. He was putting up huge numbers and points by throwing the ball downfield.[/B] Alex has the arm and within this week or next week look for him to get the ball downfield more often with Avant.

THIS

People just forget that The more we threw downfield last year the more we LOST

Anther thing how quickly people forget week 1 of this year. Alex did "take shots" that resluted in 3 ints. And people were pissed at Smith. Even though 1 of those INTS hit Avery right in the hands he couldnt catch it (shocker there)and it bounced to a defender. So again I ask ANYONE mad about the downfield stuff. WHY SHOULD ALEX JUST TRUST THESE GUYS TO TAKE SHOTS? WHAT ON EARTH HAVE THEY DONE TO EARN THAT TRUST? I have been asking this for a while and have yet to see 1 answer.

Eydugstr
12-12-2014, 04:03 PM
THIS

People just forget that The more we threw downfield last year the more we LOST

Anther thing how quickly people forget week 1 of this year. Alex did "take shots" that resluted in 3 ints. And people were pissed at Smith. Even though 1 of those INTS hit Avery right in the hands he couldnt catch it (shocker there)and it bounced to a defender. So again I ask ANYONE mad about the downfield stuff. WHY SHOULD ALEX JUST TRUST THESE GUYS TO TAKE SHOTS? WHAT ON EARTH HAVE THEY DONE TO EARN THAT TRUST? I have been asking this for a while and have yet to see 1 answer.

I'd disagree about the "attacked downfield and we lost" part, a little. We attacked downfield and did score but the problem was the defense fell apart without the pass rush last year. If we'd made a few more defensive stops in some of those games...

To your main point, no the WR's haven't earned that trust at all. Have been pushing for different WR's for some time now. Last offseason felt like this upcoming draft we'd be using our picks on rebuilding the secondary; Now it looks like we'll have to rebuild the WR corps, too.

Look at the results of what's happening with the guys that HAVE earned getting the ball thrown their way - Kelce, Fasano & Sherman. Kelce has turned into a threat that even the talking heads at ESPN can't stop gabbing over, Fasano (master of the butt reception) bailed out his QB last game and would've gotten a TD had it not been for a zebra's lame flag, and Sherman got himself a new contract after becoming a reliable safety valve for Alex. These ARE the guys catching the ball in this offense.

matthewschiefs
12-12-2014, 04:51 PM
I'd disagree about the "attacked downfield and we lost" part, a little. We attacked downfield and did score but the problem was the defense fell apart without the pass rush last year. If we'd made a few more defensive stops in some of those games...

See to me that is in some parts due to us attacking as much. You have to know what kind of team you have. This is not nor was last year a team that is built to be in shootouts. It's in a lot of ways a throw back team. Attacking down field as much as we did exposed the defense for being what they were. When this team is at its best they are taking LONG drives that keeps the other teams offense off the field. Until we get the fire power IMO attacking downfield isn't going to do us much good.

ctchiefsfan
12-12-2014, 09:03 PM
IMO the problem is that we have ZERO, NADA, ZIP downfield passing game. No....we surely don't need to try to change the nature of our offense which is that of a running/short passing game, but we MUST HAVE enough of a downfield passing game to keep enemy defenses honest. (and to be able to have a shot when we're within 1 score with 1:30 left). And we don't have that. NOT BY A LONGSHOT. And as I see it the fault for that lies about 35% with the O-line and 65% with our lame-ash, hardly trying, can't catch the ball if it hits them in the chest Wide Receiver corps.

Anyway, that's how I see things.

Justin5772002
12-12-2014, 09:10 PM
We should try a play where Jaamal Charles lines up outside as a WR and runs a streak and have Alex throw it over the top and let Jaamal catch up to it

ctchiefsfan
12-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Why the hell not? Line up that way several times using JC just as a decoy, then don't throw it to him or nothing. First or second time we do it they'll probably double cover JC and that should leave Avant or Bowe WIDE OPEN. But after we don't throw at JC in that formation a few times they will start covering him half-ashed. And then we FRY THEIR BUTTS!!!

But we need to start with that misdirection formation early to lull the scum-pigs into complacency. Try it a few times on 3rd and long to make them think we are only using JC as a decoy to take pressure off Avant and Bowe. Then say on 1st and 10 from maybe midfield or the enemy 40 uncork the long ball to JC.

It won't work often....but we're 7-6 and need to win out to make the playoffs. 2 complete surprise touchdowns
might be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

But we NEED TO START SETTING THAT MIS-DIRECTION UP EARLY!!! As I said, the first few times we do it, they will cover JC like white on rice. And that will leave Avant or Bowe open. Then once the enemy has been burned a few times they will pretty much ignore it. Then we uncork the bomb!

Meanwhile, make sure Knile Davis gets some a decent number of carries during the game and that he is on the field when JC lines up as a WR.

It SHOULD work!

But use the actual plays where we try to throw to JC sparingly. Make the fools think he is just acting as a decoy.

Might work ESPECIALLY well now that we have a brand new WR in Avant. Enemy defenses are already confused about Avant. Throw JC into the mix and the enemy defensive coordinator won't know whether to ship or go blind!!!

KILL THE BASTIDS!!!!!!

rodu
12-12-2014, 11:32 PM
We should try a play where Jaamal Charles lines up outside as a WR and runs a streak and have Alex throw it over the top and let Jaamal catch up to it

we had a wheel route for him last year

matthewschiefs
12-13-2014, 12:30 AM
IMO the problem is that we have ZERO, NADA, ZIP downfield passing game. No....we surely don't need to try to change the nature of our offense which is that of a running/short passing game, but we MUST HAVE enough of a downfield passing game to keep enemy defenses honest. (and to be able to have a shot when we're within 1 score with 1:30 left). And we don't have that. NOT BY A LONGSHOT. And as I see it the fault for that lies about 35% with the O-line and 65% with our lame-ash, hardly trying, can't catch the ball if it hits them in the chest Wide Receiver corps.

Anyway, that's how I see things.

I don't think you can put it 100% on the O line and WRs

Alex does deserve some of the blame. As I've stated yes he has missed some open WRs and he has missed some throws. Which he has got to be better at.

Also Reid gets blame. The losses have mainly one thing in common Reid after the game saying "I've got to get Charles the ball more"

Everyone has got to do better. But like I said if we just plug in QB#9 and don't fix the WR core and the o line doesn't step up it won't matter who Qb9 is they won't have much chance of being successful

ctchiefsfan
12-13-2014, 04:52 AM
I don't think you can put it 100% on the O line and WRs

Alex does deserve some of the blame. As I've stated yes he has missed some open WRs and he has missed some throws. Which he has got to be better at.

Also Reid gets blame. The losses have mainly one thing in common Reid after the game saying "I've got to get Charles the ball more"

Everyone has got to do better. But like I said if we just plug in QB#9 and don't fix the WR core and the o line doesn't step up it won't matter who Qb9 is they won't have much chance of being successful

Fair enough. My frustration was showing. But IMO the VAST MAJORITY of the blame goes to the WR corps, followed by the O-line with a good sized chunk of blame. Then Reid and Smith sharing a small amount of the blame.

As I see it if the WRs fairly consistently got open and caught the balls that they SHOULD CATCH and the O-line fairly consistently gave Smith enough time to go through his progressions then we'd be sitting on a record of 9-4 or maybe 10-3 with the playoffs a virtual certainty and at least a chance at the Division Title. And if that was the case we wouldn't be here handing out blame. Instead we'd be saving our coins to buy a ticket to the playoffs.

So the vast bulk of the blame for our problems this season go to the WRs and the O-line. Fix those two problems and the other problems would fade into obscurity because there would be no problem with our record.

In short, even Joe Montana in his prime wouldn't be looking very good with these WRs and this O-line.

matthewschiefs
12-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Fair enough. My frustration was showing. But IMO the VAST MAJORITY of the blame goes to the WR corps, followed by the O-line with a good sized chunk of blame. Then Reid and Smith sharing a small amount of the blame.

As I see it if the WRs fairly consistently got open and caught the balls that they SHOULD CATCH and the O-line fairly consistently gave Smith enough time to go through his progressions then we'd be sitting on a record of 9-4 or maybe 10-3 with the playoffs a virtual certainty and at least a chance at the Division Title. And if that was the case we wouldn't be here handing out blame. Instead we'd be saving our coins to buy a ticket to the playoffs.

So the vast bulk of the blame for our problems this season go to the WRs and the O-line. Fix those two problems and the other problems would fade into obscurity because there would be no problem with our record.

In short, even Joe Montana in his prime wouldn't be looking very good with these WRs and this O-line.

i AGREE

I would say this is 80% oline and WRs

10% Alex
10% Reid

People can once again scream for a new qb. But until we FINALLY upgrade the wr spot which have have yet to have done it won't matter if we once again change QBs. History has shown that

ctchiefsfan
12-14-2014, 12:51 AM
People can once again scream for a new qb. But until we FINALLY upgrade the wr spot which have have yet to have done it won't matter if we once again change QBs. History has shown that

You are 100% correct!!!! Alex Smith is certainly NOT the best QB our Chiefs have ever had, but he is better than most we've had. With JC, a couple of good tight ends (we already have them) plus a WR corps that understands they are supposed to get open and catch the ball plus a decent O-line Smith would make us forget the names of most of the QBs we've had. Even in an offense that primarily has a running/short passing offense you MUST HAVE a legitimate downfield passing threat. If you don't....well....we're seeing what happens if you don't.

texaschief
12-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Alex Smith has conservative tendencies... no doubt. He holds on to the ball way too long. I find it hard to believe he can't get rid of the ball more than does. You never see Tom Brady or Peyton Manning take that many sacks. They are immobile and still find a way to get out of the pocket and throw the ball away. This aspect of Smith's game frustrates me more than any other. He is inconsistent when throwing the ball down field.

All that being said, I think Alex Smith is a top 7 or 8 QB in this league and if you can get one of those guys, there's no reason why you can't compete year in and year out. EVERY QB in this league has flaws. You compensate for those flaws by building your team in such a way that it hides the flaws and accents the positives. I think Reid and Dorsey have done a decent job in building this team to support Alex... but the job just isn't complete. The offensive line needs help at guard and RT. The entire WR corpse needs to be rebuilt. The biggest problem I think the Chiefs have is that they're paying Dwayne Bowe 10m over the next 3 seasons and it has severely hamstrung that unit. You can't pay a guy who should probably be the 3rd best WR on an NFL team like a top 5 player at his position in the entire league and expect it to pay off. Paying Dwayne Bowe that kind of money is like paying Matt Cassel the kind of contract he got from the Chiefs and expecting different results. Dwayne Bowe IS NOT a Calvin Johnson/Dez Bryant type of player but he's getting paid like one.

The O-line issue is minor, in my opinion. The Chiefs have a young O-Line and it has shown this year. I think they'll only get better over the next few years after playing together. Alex Smith is having some of the same issues here in KC that he had in SF. the 49ers never gave Smith any help at the WR position and it wasn't until Kaepernick got the job that SF went out and decided to scoop up every available WR in the league. The Chiefs have GOT to find a way to bring in some legit talent that can get open, stretch the field, and create separation. The good news for the Chiefs is that they've got a couple guys leading this team in Reid and Dorsey who have proven that they can find offensive talent... just look at Philly and Green Bay.

Down field play-making requires at least 3 major components:

1. WRs who can get down field quickly and create separation to provide a window of opportunity for the QB to deliver a pass.

2. An offensive line that can give the QB enough time to sit in the pocket to allow the WRs to run down the field.

3. A QB who can deliver well-thrown passes to down-field targets.

Of those 3 components, we know for sure that the Chiefs DO NOT have #1 in any shape or form. We know that #2 is inconsistent. And we know that #3 is also inconsistent. I do not think it is fair to judge the consistency of the QB until #1 is addressed in some form or until there is better play coming from #2. If the opportunities aren't there on a regular basis to throw down field, you can't expect a QB to be solidly consistent with his down field passing. We've played QBs all season that show more of a propensity for throwing down field more than Alex Smith and I've seen those guys miss wide open players as well. The further down field you throw, the least likely it is that it will be completed and every stat bares that to be true.

I would really like to see the Chiefs give Alex Smith some outside targets for him to throw to instead of a guy like Bowe who gets 10m/yr to run an 8 yard slant on occasion. Smith has had NOBODY to throw to on the outside his entire career. Luckily for people like me who don't think Alex Smith is the problem, the Chiefs have committed to Smith long-term and should get to see an offensive minded coach like Reid get everything he wants on the offensive side. I'm pessimistic about the Chiefs' chances to win both of their remaining games to get into the playoffs at 10-6, which should leave them around .500 for the season and picking in the teens come May. Coincidentally, the teens have traditionally been a great place to find value at the WR position. 3 names to watch in free agency are of course, Demarius Thomas who will probably be allowed to walk from Denver and if the Chiefs can find some way to unload Bowe's salary, he could be a target (don't hold your breath). But 2 other names I'd watch carefully are Jeremy Maclin and Randall Cobb.

Just thinking about it real quick and basing my choices off what the mocks around the web have to say, it would be really nice to see the Chiefs get Cobb AND Maclin, then a guy like Ereck Flower OT out of Miami in the first round of the draft to man the RT spot and move Ryan Harris or Donald Stephenson to the LG spot. Then, find a way to get Sammie Coates WR Auburn in the 2nd... whether it's staying put or trading up. A safety in free agency or in the 3rd would be nice as well as another ILB to help out Derrick Johnson. Anything after that I think should be secondary depth.

Cobb, Coates, Bowe, Maclin, & Avery along with O-line fortification of Flowers and a new LG would definitely go a long way to helping the down field play-making of this offense... and THEN we can judge whether or not Alex Smith is the problem.

Just my 2 cents.