PDA

View Full Version : NFL to stream 1 game

Chiefs4life24
02-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Oh yeah that sounds like a good idea
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/02/09/Events-and-Attractions/SuperBowl.aspx here is the link

WARNING SHOT: The NFL is preparing to negotiate with digital companies (think Google, YouTube or Yahoo) to distribute one 2015 regular-season game via an “over-the-top” webcast.

Goodell surprised media executives during Super Bowl week when he announced plans to stream a game next season over-the-top.

“It would be carried on broadcast stations in both team markets, but it would also reach a worldwide audience, including millions of homes that do not have traditional television service,” Goodell said during his annual state of the league presser.

NFL executives are convinced they will be able to find a willing partner to buy the rights. “It would have to be a partner who would get behind it promotionally and make sure that people are aware that the game’s available and be able to reach a big audience,” said Hans Schroeder, NFL senior vice president of media strategy, business development and sales.

Until the league figures out the digital company with which it will partner, it will wait to decide who will produce the game and handle ad sales.

As for which game gets streamed? The most likely scenario would be one of the three London games on the 2015 schedule, which start at 9:30 a.m. ET. The NFL has not made a final decision, but sources say it is looking closely at the Bills-Jaguars game in London on Oct. 25.

“That 9:30 a.m. time slot is interesting internationally when you start to think of parts of Asia, where it reaches into Sunday night, as well as parts of Europe,” Schroeder said. The one-off, over-the-top game is more of a test to see if digital companies can handle the large audiences that watch NFL games.

“We really want to figure out if the landscape is ready for digital-only distribution of a game,” he said. “A lot of this is trying to anticipate, as the world changes, who our partners are going to be and who may be interested in NFL game rights when we look seven or eight years down the road, or potentially earlier, with ‘Thursday Night Football.’ Is there nontraditional media who would be interested in those games?”

jap1
02-10-2015, 03:24 PM
If we got to the point where you could pay something like $100-$200/yr for the ability to stream ANY game in HD, it would be awesome. The NFL is really the only reason I pay for cable tv. I'd be very happy with internet with streaming football, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Chiefs4life24
02-10-2015, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't watch I couldnt afford $5 a game, that would end the game of football nobody will pay when they can watch it for free

jap1
02-10-2015, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't watch I couldnt afford $5 a game, that would end the game of football nobody will pay when they can watch it for free

As as it is, you can already (legally) watch football for free (as long as you have a tv and an antenna) and it isnt killing the sport. The problem is you don't have any choice of what game you can watch. If you live near your favorite team, chances are pretty good you will be able to watch their games. Otherwise, you are stuck with whatever local team they want to show.

As it is I can't watch any Chiefs games unless they are one of the major broadcast ones since I don't live in the local area. As long as they keep the over-the-air broadcast that you can pick up with any antenna, then I would love the option for those fans who don't live in the same city as their team, or who are stationed all over the world with the military, to be able to stream football legally.

N TX Dave
02-10-2015, 11:02 PM
As as it is, you can already (legally) watch football for free (as long as you have a tv and an antenna) and it isnt killing the sport. The problem is you don't have any choice of what game you can watch. If you live near your favorite team, chances are pretty good you will be able to watch their games. Otherwise, you are stuck with whatever local team they want to show.

As it is I can't watch any Chiefs games unless they are one of the major broadcast ones since I don't live in the local area. As long as they keep the over-the-air broadcast that you can pick up with any antenna, then I would love the option for those fans who don't live in the same city as their team, or who are stationed all over the world with the military, to be able to stream football legally.

That's me also I would get to watch my Chiefs instead of the Cowboys. I would be happy to pay $80 a year to watch the Chiefs. As it is I find a streaming broadcast of the Chiefs in low quality or listen to a streaming radio broadcast and watch NFL.com game watch on line.

Chiefs4life24
02-10-2015, 11:09 PM
I can't afford that and wouldn't want too. Guess I won't be watching football anymore if they did that

jap1
02-11-2015, 12:20 AM
I can't afford that and wouldn't want too. Guess I won't be watching football anymore if they did that

You apparently didn't read my post where I said that they should keep the local broadcast. If you cannot afford that, then I don't know how you are watching football now.

Chiefs4life24
02-11-2015, 01:18 AM
I have standard cable. What I'm afraid of is what if they go this system and the only way you can watch a game is streaming on the internet or a special channel you have to buy no more regular TV broadcasts

Chiefster
02-15-2015, 01:36 PM
This is interesting. I live in Kansas and miss more and more games each year because Cox quit carrying the Kansas CBS affiliate in my area and carry the Tulsa affiliate which tend to, from time to time, cover different teams. Cox in my area has never carried the Kansas Fox affiliate.