PDA

View Full Version : others on the chopping block because of their cap numer

Chiefs4life24
02-17-2015, 01:26 PM
These guys are in jeopardy because of their cap number, per bleacher report Mike Devito, Anthony Fasano, Derrick Johnson, Chase Daniel, Joe Mays and A.J. Jenkins.

N TX Dave
02-17-2015, 01:38 PM
I can't believe Derrick Johnson is on there if he comes back healthy and they left off Bowe.

matthewschiefs
02-17-2015, 01:42 PM
I don't think DJ will be cut. The rest It wouldn't shock me at all

Chiefs4life24
02-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Well it said D. Johnson in think it would be a mistake to cut him

Eydugstr
02-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Cutting DJ...Yes, that'd be a mistake.

N TX Dave
02-17-2015, 02:25 PM
So we seem to be in agreement with keeping DJ so the author of the article is not real knowledgeable seeing how he left Bowe off and put DJ on.

Chiefs4life24
02-17-2015, 02:46 PM
So I think its safe to say the WR position will look a lot different next season

doobs_05
02-17-2015, 02:49 PM
I can't believe Derrick Johnson is on there if he comes back healthy and they left off Bowe.

Bowe will cost us money to cut if I remember correctly

N TX Dave
02-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Bowe will cost us money to cut if I remember correctly

According to OTC if we cut Bowe after jun 1 we will save $11 million and only have $3 million dead money if before jun 1 it will be $9 million dead and only save $5 million. The next big saving is Hali Which is $3 million dead and $9 million saving before or after jun 1.

Well Smith would be the most at $3.6 million dead and $12 million savings but we know that is not happening the next in line is not going to happen either JC would save $6.6 million so it looks like Bowe will be a Chief until after Jun 1 then be cut and as much as I hate to say it Hali is the next at any time, so by cutting Bowe and Hali we will save $20 million.

Cutting Avery and Jenkins we have saved $4.7 million already.

ctchiefsfan
02-17-2015, 04:21 PM
DJ is the only one on that list that would really surprise me. The Cap Monster is eating us alive. So a lot of guys are going to go.

Bowe should have been on that list IMO. Hali probably should have been too. But Hali is really the only one I'd be upset about losing. He's done everything we have ever asked of him and now he has VOLUNTEERED to renegotiate his contract so he can stay a Chief. He has never (that I recall) had off-field "issues" and has been a good leader.

I know that the days of a player staying with the same team for an entire career are pretty much gone, but IMO Dorsey should figure out a way to keep Hali a Chief for another year or two until he retires and then find some kind of coaching staff position for him. Hali is the kind of guy you want to keep on a team.

I know he is slowing down and will never again be what he once was, but so long as we keep Houston, Hali will always be a legitimate threat.

He's the one player who is on the chopping block that I really want to see us keep.

N TX Dave
02-17-2015, 04:40 PM
I agree I would hate to lose Hali but at $9 M of saving with the our cap situation being what it is he may have to go. I don't know what the cap situation would be if he restructured his contract.

ctchiefsfan
02-17-2015, 04:45 PM
I agree I would hate to lose Hali but at $9 M of saving with the our cap situation being what it is he may have to go. I don't know what the cap situation would be if he restructured his contract.

I agree completely. But with his having volunteered to restructure to free up cap space for Houston., I think we could probably figure out a way to keep him but lower the cap hit to about $2-$3 million. I think we would be crazy not to keep him for that kind of money.

jason1981
02-17-2015, 08:33 PM
I will be very upset if DJ is cut. Hes one of my favorite chiefs players. I think hes still a very vitale player on our defense. Like coaches has stated he saves alpt of plays. Maybe they can restructure his contract but not cut him. I think dj would like to be a chief for life but he could want to go to a contender. Hes been the only bright spot through all tue ugly years. I kinda feel bad for him like i did the last few years that Gonzales played for us.

ctchiefsfan
02-17-2015, 09:43 PM
I will be very upset if DJ is cut. Hes one of my favorite chiefs players. I think hes still a very vitale player on our defense. Like coaches has stated he saves alpt of plays. Maybe they can restructure his contract but not cut him. I think dj would like to be a chief for life but he could want to go to a contender. Hes been the only bright spot through all tue ugly years. I kinda feel bad for him like i did the last few years that Gonzales played for us.

Agreed. Tamba and DJ are guys that should retire as Chiefs....just as TG should have. With TG we had the Piloli Problem. And now we have the "cap problem". I really hope Dorsey can come up with a formula that Hali and DJ will accept that will allow them to retire as Chiefs. I think Hali would go along with a deal that let him play two more years for say maybe $6 million guaranteed. And he'd probably be OK with a lot of that money being backloaded to 2017. Renegotiate his contract to say maybe $6-$7 million over 3 years guaranteed with most of it due and payable after he got cut at the end of 2016.

I dunno about DJ but I really think Hali would be willing to make a VERY TEAM FRIENDLY deal. He just wants to play another year or two and he can easily do that so long as we keep Houston. If we cut him, he will get a fat contract somewhere else, but it will be a year to year deal and 2015 will wind up being his last year. Without a monster like Houston on the D-Line Hali only has 1 year left in him. On the same line with Houston he's probably got 2 good years left. I really hope Dorsey will figure a way to let Hali retire as a Chief.

Just as an aside....We ARE a contender now.We will play in the AFC championship game NLT 2017.

Seek
02-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Aj Jenkins is already gone. Both he and Avery were cut yesterday. Many were predicting that DJ may look to sign a contract extension thus lowering his cap numbers this year. His injury though is a question mark. Has he healed and will still be the DJ we know. I think you will see his contract redone after everything plays its way out in the off season.

I think he was like 8 tackles shy of becoming the Chiefs all time tackle leader.