PDA

View Full Version : Justin Houston

Chiefs4life24
02-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Arrowhead pride says Houston could command 2 draft picks. Would you guys be able to stand you're ground and keep a player if someone offered 2 first round picks for someone

rodu
02-28-2015, 08:15 PM
2 first rounder this year?

N TX Dave
02-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Some one in the first 10 maybe, someone in the last 10 no way.

Chiefs4life24
02-28-2015, 08:21 PM
One this year and one next year. I don't know I could resist that if I had a player that could get me that many picks. Then I could use the first for next and trade to load up on 2nd and 3rd rounds this year

jap1
02-28-2015, 08:54 PM
They could use the restricted FA tag on him. Basically that means any other team can offer him a contract, and we have the opportunity to beat it. If he picks their contract, then we get their first this year and first next year. It's an interesting question.

You would have two firsts this year. Maybe low enough to grab one of the top 3 WRs. You keep Hali and Bowe. Start Ford and Hali at OLB. Grab a really good G/T with the other first. Next year you have two firsts to use for anything, and would have a lot of cap space for FAs.

interesting thought.

Chiefs4life24
02-28-2015, 09:05 PM
it would be a very intriguing proposition

Lewis_Chiefs
02-28-2015, 09:11 PM
With the contract he will command and our current cap situation I wouldn't be against the idea personally.

rodu
02-28-2015, 09:40 PM
depends on the team too, not overly interested in the #25 pick, but top ten pick this year and the next, hmmm
rather get him signed personally

ctchiefsfan
03-01-2015, 01:30 AM
Thank God I am not Dorsey!!! But if I could get a First Round this year and a First Round next year (meaning we would have 2 years in a row with 2 First Round picks--4 total in 2 years) for Houston I'd probably be on it like a duck on a June bug. It might set our progress back a bit, but I think Sutton could minimize the damage and with that extra first round pick this year we might be able to improve the Offense enough this year to make up for any downturn in the Defense.

Give me maybe #15 and #18 this year plus #22 and #26 next year (or maybe better)....I don't see how I could turn that down.

As far as I am concerned, that would be Prime Rib on a plate! Serve it up and give me a knife!

jap1
03-01-2015, 04:57 AM
Thank God I am not Dorsey!!! But if I could get a First Round this year and a First Round next year (meaning we would have 2 years in a row with 2 First Round picks--4 total in 2 years) for Houston I'd probably be on it like a duck on a June bug. It might set our progress back a bit, but I think Sutton could minimize the damage and with that extra first round pick this year we might be able to improve the Offense enough this year to make up for any downturn in the Defense.

Give me maybe #15 and #18 this year plus #22 and #26 next year (or maybe better)....I don't see how I could turn that down.

As far as I am concerned, that would be Prime Rib on a plate! Serve it up and give me a knife!

The other question is whether there is a team with the cap space AND a huge need for a pass rusher that they would be willing to give up so much.

rodu
03-01-2015, 08:51 AM
That's why I think a lesser team meaning to build around a young star, with an owner with a win now attitude

marloweopatchiefs
03-01-2015, 01:38 PM
No way you let houston go. He's the best player on defense we have had since Derek Thomas.

ctchiefsfan
03-01-2015, 02:42 PM
No way you let houston go. He's the best player on defense we have had since Derek Thomas.

Yes he is. And it ain't never going to happen. But for 2 #1 picks???? HELL YES!!!

CabbageHATCHkid
03-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Its interesting because there are a bunch of pass rushers expected to be taken in the top 10. If you were a team sitting in the top 10 maybe top 5 and you are wanting to take one of those pass rushers. Would u rather spend less money and get an unproven talent or spend lots of money give up that pick and get a proven sack artist in this league?

Its a very interesting option. If were going to lose Houston I want to lose him for two 1st rounders preferably in the top 12 at least. If were in the top 12 we might have a chance at Waynes... lol :)

One other crazy aspect to this is Dee Ford. No one if any one liked that pick last year. We all assumed it was to replace Hali. What if everything comes full circle, and Ford replaces Houston, plus we gain 2 first round picks out of it. It would be crazy foresight from Dorsey.

Woulld this free up enough space for us to make a run at a Cobb or preferably a Maclin?

ctchiefsfan
03-02-2015, 04:32 AM
Its interesting because there are a bunch of pass rushers expected to be taken in the top 10. If you were a team sitting in the top 10 maybe top 5 and you are wanting to take one of those pass rushers. Would u rather spend less money and get an unproven talent or spend lots of money give up that pick and get a proven sack artist in this league?

This question is a no-brainer. If you are a team that thinks they are close to making that Super Bowl run except for the lack of a top tier pass rusher then you make whatever trade you need to to get the top pass rusher in the NFL....ASSUMING you have the cap space.

Its a very interesting option. If were going to lose Houston I want to lose him for two 1st rounders preferably in the top 12 at least. If were in the top 12 we might have a chance at Waynes... lol :)

No way to guarantee where the 2cond 1st round pick would be. That would depend on where that pick fell based on the "buying team's" record.

One other crazy aspect to this is Dee Ford. No one if any one liked that pick last year. We all assumed it was to replace Hali. What if everything comes full circle, and Ford replaces Houston, plus we gain 2 first round picks out of it. It would be crazy foresight from Dorsey.

I think it is unlikely that Ford would ever be at the same level as Houston and of course Hali only has a year or two left in him, but as I see it, our biggest need over the next 2 years is Offense and 2 first round picks this year and 2 first round picks next year should be able to get us a lot of Offense.

Woulld this free up enough space for us to make a run at a Cobb or preferably a Maclin?

Houston is going to cost ~$13 million. You can buy a lot of meat for that.

jap1
03-02-2015, 05:47 AM
Houston is going to cost ~$13 million. You can buy a lot of meat for that.

The problem is that right now, we have $4 mil in cap space, and that is without signing Houston. Not signing him doesn't get us any space back.

In order to get Houston, we would have to cut/severely renegotiate the contacts of bowe, hali, devito and berry(?). Not signing him allows us to have the option of cutting/renegotiating all those players in order to sign FAs, OR sticking with what we have plus the draft.

ctchiefsfan
03-02-2015, 07:48 AM
The problem is that right now, we have $4 mil in cap space, and that is without signing Houston. Not signing him doesn't get us any space back.

In order to get Houston, we would have to cut/severely renegotiate the contacts of bowe, hali, devito and berry(?). Not signing him allows us to have the option of cutting/renegotiating all those players in order to sign FAs, OR sticking with what we have plus the draft.

EXACTLY!!!! Trade Houston for a bunch of fat draft picks and it perhaps sets us back a year. But I've waited 40+ years for another Super Bowl and 20 years for a playoff win. The right trade for Houston would make our Chiefs probably the youngest (and cheapest) team in the NFL and we'd be LOADED with high level talent. That trade would put the burden ENTIRELY on Dorsey. He's supposed to be a "Draft Guru" so I am good with that gamble. With Reid as HC at least we'd never go 2-14 again. If we can get some FAT draft picks for Houston then I think it's a gamble worth taking.

Justin5772002
03-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Per Espn we got the tag on Houston!

Chiefs4life24
03-02-2015, 10:58 AM
This the report

Houston is reportedly talking to the NFLPA about filing a grevience about if he got taged as a DE or LB. He is also said to be considering waiting until week 10 before he will sign the tag
a nonexclusive tag would pay Houston the same as an exclusive tag — roughly $13 million — but only if he doesn’t receive any others from other teams. If he does, the Chiefs could either match the offer or let Houston walk for two first-round picks.

The Chiefs will presumably need to slice another $6.5 million in salary by March 10 to accommodate the tag, since all teams have to be under the cap by the start of the new league year. The Chiefs are currently believed to be roughly $6.5 million under the cap.By signing his one-year franchise tender, Houston would be under contract and be required to attend organized team activities and the Chiefs' offseason program when they begin in April. But by holding off, Houston can also skip training camp and the preseason, return shortly before the regular season and command his full franchise salary, which is expected to be in the neighborhood of $13 million.

Chiefs4life24
03-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Per league source, Chiefs used non-exclusive tag on Justin Houston, which put him in play for other teams, in theory.*Per league source, Justin Houston already is considering waiting until Week 10 to sign franchise tender to stay with Chiefs.*Justin Houston will consult with NFLPA to decide whether to file grievance on whether he's a DE not an LB, per source. So I guess this means they are gonna blow this and are comfortable flirting with disaster

ctchiefsfan
03-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Can somebody explain to me the logic in using a non-exclusive franchise tag as opposed to the exclusive tag on Houston? I have to assume there was some sort of logical reason for doing it but I cannot seem to fathom what we gained by using the non-exclusive tag. Hopefully somebody here can explain this to me.

Chiefs4life24
03-02-2015, 01:10 PM
From the looks of it they are fine letting him walk in free agency. Apparently their is not a lot of difference in exclusive or non exclusive if we don't match or beat another teams offer he is gone but we do gain 2 first round picks but if we do sign him we get no picks

Chiefs4life24
03-02-2015, 01:17 PM
We still have to find 6.5 million to cover the whole tag for Houston so more cuts to come and that's if he even signs it. He could wait until week to to sign it but the report says he can't play if he does that cause he won't be under contract

CabbageHATCHkid
03-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Obviously next years 1st round pick would be unknown but for this year the pick we definetly need to be in the top 10. And we would have to hope for them to be terrible next year. If this talk about Houston holding out until week 10 is true we almost have to move him. Which is really a shame.

Chiefs4life24
03-02-2015, 01:32 PM
That's how it seems to me as also

ctchiefsfan
03-02-2015, 01:41 PM
From the looks of it they are fine letting him walk in free agency. Apparently their is not a lot of difference in exclusive or non exclusive if we don't match or beat another teams offer he is gone but we do gain 2 first round picks but if we do sign him we get no picks

So...somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but does this essentially mean we have put Houston on the auction block for any team willing to pony up a 1st round pick this year and again in the 2016 draft? If so, I could live with that. I'd hate to lose him, but without Hali on the other side, I don't think Houston looks like quite the miracle worker he has been and assuming Hali will take a pay cut even if Houston is gone then we'd free up something like $18-$20 million in cap space ($13 million not spent on Houston plus say $5 or $6 million on Hali) plus the $6 million we already have so we'd have somewhere in the vicinity of $25 million in cap space plus get 2 1st round picks. Not at all sure that would be a bad move. I have to admit....I'm drooling over the idea of Dorsey having 4 first round picks in 2 years.

CabbageHATCHkid
03-02-2015, 01:45 PM
and the cap space to add a receiver, as well as oline talent like Iupati and the green Bay tackle. Cant remember his name Bulaga I think is it.

ctchiefsfan
03-02-2015, 01:57 PM
and the cap space to add a receiver, as well as oline talent like Iupati and the green Bay tackle. Cant remember his name Bulaga I think is it.

Yeah...I think I am starting to like this idea. Losing Houston is a big price to pay, but 2 first round picks is a whole boatload of potential. It would really put the entire load on Dorsey. That would mean he had 6 first round picks in 4 years, (more than making up for the 2 second rounders we gave for Alex), 2 second round picks in 4 years, plus our regular picks plus this year's compensatory picks. Dorsey is supposed to be a draft guru. Let's see if he really is. I *think* I like this move.

jap1
03-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Can somebody explain to me the logic in using a non-exclusive franchise tag as opposed to the exclusive tag on Houston? I have to assume there was some sort of logical reason for doing it but I cannot seem to fathom what we gained by using the non-exclusive tag. Hopefully somebody here can explain this to me.

Two things. I have read that non-exclusive is cheaper, and it gives you options. If the player is really upset over the tag, they can look elsewhere and you arent stuck with a malcontent.

Also, FYI, KC has almost always used the non-exclusive tag. We used that one on Bowe and Albert in the past.

ctchiefsfan
03-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Two things. I have read that non-exclusive is cheaper, and it gives you options. If the player is really upset over the tag, they can look elsewhere and you arent stuck with a malcontent.

Also, FYI, KC has almost always used the non-exclusive tag. We used that one on Bowe and Albert in the past.

Thanks jap1 for the info.

jap1
03-02-2015, 02:23 PM
but without Hali on the other side, I don't think Houston looks like quite the miracle worker he has been

Not to mention Poe and Bailey in the middle. Teams cannot double team Houston because of all the other pass rushing threats on our D, as well as the decent (not great, but decent) coverage.

ctchiefsfan
03-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Not to mention Poe and Bailey in the middle. Teams cannot double team Houston because of all the other pass rushing threats on our D, as well as the decent (not great, but decent) coverage.

Exactly. We have a damned good pass rush and Houston ain't all of it. If we lose him it will be a setback, but I don't think he'd look half as good if it wasn't for the rest of the pass rushers we have. I think we could still have a pretty damned good pass rush without him, especially if we kept Hali. If we can get 2 first round picks for him I think it's a good deal.

Smells like Dorsey is actually looking for a Super Bowl in the next few years rather than just doing well enough to keep his job.

Eydugstr
03-02-2015, 02:40 PM
While I'm excited over the idea of us having an incredible draft this year, and an extra first round draft pick next year...There's a lot that could go wrong with this. Dorsey still needs to prove himself with 1st round draft picks. This is a make or break season for Fisher, and Dee Ford didn't see much playing time. We're still going to have to cut some people to cover Houston's paycheck in case nobody decides to part with their first rounders. There's no guarantee that Houston or the two first round draft picks wouldn't get injured in training camp or early in the season.

If we're going to go that route...Who would have the cap space, be out of the division or conference and have ties to Houston? Atlanta Falcons (Scott Pioli).

jap1
03-02-2015, 02:40 PM
we'd free up something like $18-$20 million in cap space ($13 million not spent on Houston plus say $5 or $6 million on Hali) plus the $6 million we already have so we'd have somewhere in the vicinity of $25 million in cap space plus get 2 1st round picks. Not at all sure that would be a bad move. I have to admit....I'm drooling over the idea of Dorsey having 4 first round picks in 2 years.

Your math is way off. Right now, if Houston signed his tender today, we are $6-7million OVER the cap, and that is not counting the ~$4 mil it will take to sign our new rookies. So we wouldnt have $25 million available. If we let Houston go to another team, then we would have MORE resources to sign new picks, but not as much as you are listing.

ctchiefsfan
03-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Your math is way off. Right now, if Houston signed his tender today, we are $6-7million OVER the cap, and that is not counting the ~$4 mil it will take to sign our new rookies. So we wouldnt have $25 million available. If we let Houston go to another team, then we would have MORE resources to sign new picks, but not as much as you are listing.

I fear I didn't state what I was saying clearly. And I did do some bad math. My bad. As I understand it, we currently have ~ $6 million in cap space. If we keep Houston for roughly $13 million that means we're over the cap by ~ $7 million. Add $4 million for rookies and we're over the cap by ~ $11 million. But if we trade or lose Houston and Hali agrees to a $6 million pay cut then that saves us ~ $19 million and puts us under the cap by about ~ $8 million. A turnaround of about $19 million with ~ $8 million in cap space. Thanks for correcting me.

ctchiefsfan
03-02-2015, 09:12 PM
While I'm excited over the idea of us having an incredible draft this year, and an extra first round draft pick next year...There's a lot that could go wrong with this.

Absolutely. Letting Houston go would be a GAMBLE. But I think Sutton and Reid could make the gamble work in the short term. And it would all be on Dorsey to make the gamble work in the long term by hitting a few home runs with the extra 2 first round picks. I'm OK with that. I REALLY want us to win a Super Bowl and I can live with some gambles to try to achieve that goal.

We're still going to have to cut some people to cover Houston's paycheck in case nobody decides to part with their first rounders.

That is a big part of why I'd have no problem losing Houston for a pair of 1st round picks.

If we're going to go that route...Who would have the cap space, be out of the division or conference and have ties to Houston? Atlanta Falcons (Scott Pioli).

An interesting irony....heh?

Eydugstr
03-03-2015, 01:56 AM
For those who'd like to see Adam Teicher's article...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/kc/kansas-city-chiefs)' salary cap for 2015 is $146,144,200, according to the NFL Players Association. That includes the $143.28 million base for every team, the carryover of almost $2.5 million from last year’s cap plus adjustments of $617,410.

ESPN Stats & Info showed the Chiefs this afternoon to have $138,880,614 of salary-cap commitments, meaning they have $7,263,586 in cap room. But there’s no time for them to rest.

ESPN’s figures didn’t yet include the $13.2 million the Chiefs will need for the one-year offer they have to make to linebacker Justin Houston (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14048/justin-houston) as their franchise player. So, counting Houston’s cap number, the Chiefs are more than $5.9 million over the cap.

The Chiefs need to be in compliance with the salary limit by March 10. Houston’s $13.2 million counts against the Chiefs’ cap on March 10 whether he signs it or not.

The Chiefs have many ways to get under the cap, of course. They could save a total of $7.8 million against their salary cap by releasing veteran defensive end Mike DeVito (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10763/mike-devito) and backup quarterback Chase Daniel (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12471/chase-daniel), for instance. Each started just one game for the Chiefs last year.

So the Chiefs will comply with the cap by March 10. A more interesting question: Which players will the Chiefs sacrifice in order to get there?

Eydugstr
03-03-2015, 03:42 AM
Absolutely. Letting Houston go would be a GAMBLE. But I think Sutton and Reid could make the gamble work in the short term. And it would all be on Dorsey to make the gamble work in the long term by hitting a few home runs with the extra 2 first round picks. I'm OK with that. I REALLY want us to win a Super Bowl and I can live with some gambles to try to achieve that goal.

That is a big part of why I'd have no problem losing Houston for a pair of 1st round picks.

An interesting irony....heh?

Yeah it is ironic, but it's just the business of football. Players tend to follow the regimes that brought them into the league. When Pioli first came to KC everyone was speculating that Haley or Cassel would follow, so there's reason to think that there's some Falcon fans speculating about Justin Houston in Atlanta.

If we were to get two first rounders, especially ones that would be picking at #10 or less, that's got to be considered, risk or no.

With Houston being franchised, and the deadline of 3/10 to get things under the cap...It's going to be an interesting week coming up.

ctchiefsfan
03-03-2015, 03:53 AM
With Houston being franchised, and the deadline of 3/10 to get things under the cap...It's going to be an interesting week coming up.

That's for damned certain!

70 chiefsfan70
03-04-2015, 08:44 AM
I think so many folks on here are counting their chicks before they are hatched. We have not traded Justin Smith. I see it highly unlikely that any team will give us two first round picks for him and have to sign him to a 5 year,65 million dollar contract with 30 plus million guaranteed. Its one thing to give two first rounder picks for an underpaid player, but Houstin won't be underpaid and wont be cheap. He deserves to be the highest paid player in his position. I would be pissed if the Chiefs gave up two first rounders for any franchised player other then a proven qb. Losing two first rounders and paying that kind of money could hurt team for years. I would think only a gm on the hot seat would go for a deal like that.

One can dream though, right?

ctchiefsfan
03-04-2015, 09:07 AM
I think so many folks on here are counting their chicks before they are hatched. We have not traded Justin Smith. I see it highly unlikely that any team will give us two first round picks for him and have to sign him to a 5 year,65 million dollar contract with 30 plus million guaranteed. Its one thing to give two first rounder picks for an underpaid player, but Houstin won't be underpaid and wont be cheap. He deserves to be the highest paid player in his position. I would be pissed if the Chiefs gave up two first rounders for any franchised player other then a proven qb. Losing two first rounders and paying that kind of money could hurt team for years. I would think only a gm on the hot seat would go for a deal like that.

One can dream though, right?

That's the point. Houston and cap space are big problems right now. Somebody else signing him to an offer sheet would be real nice right about now.

Chiefs4life24
03-05-2015, 01:52 AM
Found this gem on bleacher report my god these contract disputes turn grown *** men into big babies

Kansas City Chiefs elected to use the non-exclusive tag on linebacker Justin Houston.
Another team can attempt to sign Houston to an offer sheet and if the Chiefs choose not to match, they would collect a pair of first-round picks.
Florio writes:
'Per a league source, Houston intends to aggressively pursue an offer sheet from another team, targeting teams that would be giving up a low first-round pick in 2015 and, most likely, a low first-round pick in 2016. Houston also intends to continue to pursue an offer sheet after the draft, when the compensation necessarily will become a first-round pick in 2016 and 2017.'

Eydugstr
03-05-2015, 03:46 AM
Found this gem on bleacher report my god these contract disputes turn grown *** men into big babies

Kansas City Chiefs elected to use the non-exclusive tag on linebacker Justin Houston.
Another team can attempt to sign Houston to an offer sheet and if the Chiefs choose not to match, they would collect a pair of first-round picks.
Florio writes:
'Per a league source, Houston intends to aggressively pursue an offer sheet from another team, targeting teams that would be giving up a low first-round pick in 2015 and, most likely, a low first-round pick in 2016. Houston also intends to continue to pursue an offer sheet after the draft, when the compensation necessarily will become a first-round pick in 2016 and 2017.'

I'd take bleacher report with a grain of salt...Houston can get miffed all wants, bottom line is the Chiefs don't have the money.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Chiefs4life24
03-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Just seems like he has his feelings hurt and is being a baby. Their isnt one of us fan or coach that wants to see him leave we just don't have it. Why do these guys get butt hurt over contracts???

doobs_05
03-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Just seems like he has his feelings hurt and is being a baby. Their isnt one of us fan or coach that wants to see him leave we just don't have it. Why do these guys get butt hurt over contracts???

Let's say in your field of work you have been producing great numbers/outcomes for your business, the company says "no we're not upping your pay" but another company is willing to, what do you do?

Also a contract to a NFL player is great in case they get hurt, if you're hurt during a Tagged year, your contract number could drop hard. It's all business and i'm fine with houston wanting more money.

ctchiefsfan
03-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Let's say in your field of work you have been producing great numbers/outcomes for your business, the company says "no we're not upping your pay" but another company is willing to, what do you do?

Also a contract to a NFL player is great in case they get hurt, if you're hurt during a Tagged year, your contract number could drop hard. It's all business and i'm fine with houston wanting more money.

Quite true. But what I think people are getting upset about is the notion that Houston is going to deliberately try to do harm to the Chiefs.

70 chiefsfan70
03-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Houstin has lots of reason to be upset with the Chiefs. He was a third round pick who is way underpaid going into last season. He had no guarantee of a paycheck over minimum wage. He deserved to have his contract scrapped and completely redone last year as a reward for his hard work. Instead the chiefs showed huge disrespect to him and instead gave Bowe and Alex Smith the big contracts. Both proved to be way overpaid. Mean while Houstin is the best player on the team. Drawing league minimum. Or just about minimum.

I don't blame him. The Chiefs front office screwed up by signing Smith long term instead of Houstin. Smiths stock has fallen and Houstin couldn't be higher.

And I may add, Houstin was a class act about it and did not let his feelings get in the way of how he played.

Chiefs4life24
03-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Maybe I'm foolish but I've learned money isn't the most important thing in life. My wife and I daughter was born 17 months ago and I can't think of anything I love more than my family. Money will always be second to me

doobs_05
03-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Maybe I'm foolish but I've learned money isn't the most important thing in life. My wife and I daughter was born 17 months ago and I can't think of anything I love more than my family. Money will always be second to me

Yeah Family is most important to me, and when someone offers me more money or i think i deserve more money, i'm taking it so i can take care of my family.

Or you trying to say Houston should look at a football team as family and take a pay cut? KC should of signed Houston earlier so his stock wouldn't of gone up (and he was coming off injury!), they gambled and lost.

Eydugstr
03-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Quite true. But what I think people are getting upset about is the notion that Houston is going to deliberately try to do harm to the Chiefs.

THIS. The guy earned his big payday, but unfortunately he's on a team that has no cap space. I've got no qualm with him getting a bigger payday from another team, if huge $$'s is what he's after, more power to him.

ctchiefsfan
03-05-2015, 03:02 PM
THIS. The guy earned his big payday, but unfortunately he's on a team that has no cap space. I've got no qualm with him getting a bigger payday from another team, if huge $$'s is what he's after, more power to him.

ABSOLUTELY!!! He deserves a big payday but our backs are against the wall for cap space. Damned shame, but it's a fact.

Should we have done a big contract with Houston last year and potentially lost Alex Smith this year? Maybe. We do after all have Chase Daniel and while I don't think he is anywhere near as good as Smith he has played pretty well in his limited opportunities in Reid's system. Letting Smith play out his contract so we could have signed Houston last year might have been the better choice but I am FAR from sure that is a certainty.

Meanwhile, everybody that is in a state of panic about possibly losing Houston needs to keep something in mind...Last year we had 3 important players pressuring the Chiefs for a new contract....Smith, Houston and JC. And the cash was only there to do 2 of them. So somebody was going to have to wait until this year. I assume nobody here wanted to take that gamble with JC? So it came down Houston or Smith. Whichever one we didn't sign last year was probably going to get hit with the Franchise Tag this year. And let's be honest...the Franchise tag for Smith was going to be MUCH HIGHER for Smith than Houston. Just a fact.

So IMO Dorsey did the right thing in waiting till this year on Houston. It was a gamble. A gamble that right now is looking like it might not pan out so well. But when you roll the dice, you sometimes lose. It's why I don't gamble often.

Meanwhile if the rumors about Houston wanting to stick it to the Chiefs are true which would suggest that he wouldn't be interested in signing a long term deal even if we came up with a good offer, then I don't want him on the Chiefs. I only want players that are proud to be a Chief and truly care about the Chiefs success AT LEAST as much as they care about the fame and cash.

If he screws us over by not negotiating with any teams until after the draft and then doesn't report until week 10 then as far as I am concerned he is just a selfish scumbag.

doobs_05
03-05-2015, 03:48 PM
A I only want players that are proud to be a Chief and truly care about the Chiefs success AT LEAST as much as they care about the fame and cash.

Chiefs wouldn't be able to put a team together if that was the case. I think there is only about 10% players who actually think like that and a majority are probably on practice squad. Some people who talk about hometown discounts probably only do it to look good to the fans so when things go south, the players looks really good.

ctchiefsfan
03-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Chiefs wouldn't be able to put a team together if that was the case. I think there is only about 10% players who actually think like that and a majority are probably on practice squad. Some people who talk about hometown discounts probably only do it to look good to the fans so when things go south, the players looks really good.

I'm not asking Houston for a "Home Town Discount". But I do want him to act like a man and if he is going to leave the Chiefs then do it WITHOUT MALICE. I'm only annoyed by the notion that he will DELIBERATELY try to hurt the Chiefs. Not our fault we got him for cheap in the 3rd round because he failed a drug test. THAT'S ALL ON HIM. The Chiefs didn't put the pipe in his mouth.

He should cut the sour grapes attitude and get on with his career and get his big payday. Trying to figure out how to screw the Chiefs shows the maturity of a 5 year old. Which is pretty much how he failed his drug test.

Eydugstr
03-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Should we have done a big contract with Houston last year and potentially lost Alex Smith this year? Maybe. We do after all have Chase Daniel and while I don't think he is anywhere near as good as Smith he has played pretty well in his limited opportunities in Reid's system. Letting Smith play out his contract so we could have signed Houston last year might have been the better choice but I am FAR from sure that is a certainty.

Time will tell. Because of the salary cap, every offseason there's always some drama about who we do/don't keep regardless of performance/off the field issues etc etc. The real issue isn't between Smith and Houston; Right now the issue is Houston and everyone else that'll get cut in his wake if they don't renegotiate (kicking the problem down the road) or come up with a new contract. We're struggling just to meet the franchise tag, let alone whatever Houston really wanted !!

Meanwhile, everybody that is in a state of panic about possibly losing Houston needs to keep something in mind...Last year we had 3 important players pressuring the Chiefs for a new contract....Smith, Houston and JC. And the cash was only there to do 2 of them. So somebody was going to have to wait until this year. I assume nobody here wanted to take that gamble with JC? So it came down Houston or Smith. Whichever one we didn't sign last year was probably going to get hit with the Franchise Tag this year. And let's be honest...the Franchise tag for Smith was going to be MUCH HIGHER for Smith than Houston. Just a fact.

So IMO Dorsey did the right thing in waiting till this year on Houston. It was a gamble. A gamble that right now is looking like it might not pan out so well. But when you roll the dice, you sometimes lose. It's why I don't gamble often.

Agreed about the panic right now, but hey Clark Hunt, Dorsey and Reid also have to be thinking of the future, too. Smith and JC aren't getting any younger, we might be better served 4 years from now from getting two extra first round draft picks rather than have a stud pass rusher for the next four years. While it sucks that Houston has gotten caught in the wake of all this, at the end of the day it's a business. Houston's going to get a huge payday from someone, or at the very least get a really nice one year paycheck from KC.

Meanwhile if the rumors about Houston wanting to stick it to the Chiefs are true which would suggest that he wouldn't be interested in signing a long term deal even if we came up with a good offer, then I don't want him on the Chiefs. I only want players that are proud to be a Chief and truly care about the Chiefs success AT LEAST as much as they care about the fame and cash.

If he screws us over by not negotiating with any teams until after the draft and then doesn't report until week 10 then as far as I am concerned he is just a selfish scumbag.

It's all part of being professional. If Houston's thinking KC owes him something, think again. It's not KC's fault he fell in the draft. The guy's going to be getting a huge paycheck chasing QB's he's just going to wearing a different uniform while doing it.

ctchiefsfan
03-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Time will tell. Because of the salary cap, every offseason there's always some drama about who we do/don't keep regardless of performance/off the field issues etc etc. The real issue isn't between Smith and Houston; Right now the issue is Houston and everyone else that'll get cut in his wake if they don't renegotiate (kicking the problem down the road) or come up with a new contract. We're struggling just to meet the franchise tag, let alone whatever Houston really wanted !!

Agreed about the panic right now, but hey Clark Hunt, Dorsey and Reid also have to be thinking of the future, too. Smith and JC aren't getting any younger, we might be better served 4 years from now from getting two extra first round draft picks rather than have a stud pass rusher for the next four years. While it sucks that Houston has gotten caught in the wake of all this, at the end of the day it's a business. Houston's going to get a huge payday from someone, or at the very least get a really nice one year paycheck from KC.

It's all part of being professional. If Houston's thinking KC owes him something, think again. It's not KC's fault he fell in the draft. The guy's going to be getting a huge paycheck chasing QB's he's just going to wearing a different uniform while doing it.

You pretty much summarized my feelings. HE screwed up by failing his drug test. That's why he was taken in the 3rd round. HIS ACTIONS. Not the Chiefs fault. We didn't put the pipe in his mouth.

And the Players Association agreed to what rookies get paid based on their draft status. So if Houston has a problem then he needs to take it to the Players Association. The Player's Association agreed to what a 3rd round pick get's paid. Not try take it out on the Chiefs.

Same applies to the Franchise Tag. The Players Association agreed to that. So if Houston has a problem he needs to talk to the Players Association. Not the Chiefs.

All-in-all if the stories of Houston wanting to punish the Chiefs are true than he's acting like a 5 year old spoiled brat....not a professional. He needs to stop whining and do his job....for whatever team he winds up with.

doobs_05
03-05-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm not asking Houston for a "Home Town Discount". But I do want him to act like a man and if he is going to leave the Chiefs then do it WITHOUT MALICE. I'm only annoyed by the notion that he will DELIBERATELY try to hurt the Chiefs. Not our fault we got him for cheap in the 3rd round because he failed a drug test. THAT'S ALL ON HIM. The Chiefs didn't put the pipe in his mouth.

He should cut the sour grapes attitude and get on with his career and get his big payday. Trying to figure out how to screw the Chiefs shows the maturity of a 5 year old. Which is pretty much how he failed his drug test.

Dude played amazing football, deserves to be paid like he did. He's not being a child about anything, if I do better work than 95% of my co workers, I better be paid like I am. The Chiefs screwed themselves giving big contracts to players that had no business getting those contracts and for not giving him a deal before this year when he was coming off an injury in the regular season and then the playoff game.

Chiefs4life24
03-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Money is not important I could not take that huge of a contract just against my ethical code

ctchiefsfan
03-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Dude played amazing football, deserves to be paid like he did. He's not being a child about anything, if I do better work than 95% of my co workers, I better be paid like I am. The Chiefs screwed themselves giving big contracts to players that had no business getting those contracts and for not giving him a deal before this year when he was coming off an injury in the regular season and then the playoff game.

I understand what you are saying, but the whole issue is wrapped up in the CBA. Houston got screwed in the draft because of his drug test. Just a fact. And from everything I read he's wanting to screw the Chiefs because he didn't make the cash he wanted his first 4 years and is unhappy with the franchise tag. Well...Rookie pay is set by the CBA and the the franchise tag was set up under the rules created by the CBA. If Houston didn't like the rules he probably shouldn't have gone into the NFL. All the Chiefs have done is play by the rules and Houston (if you can believe the stories) is having a hissy fit over it.

But y'know....we're arguing over foolishness based on rumors. Maybe this all works itself out. I'll be clear though...if he goes out of his way to try to screw the Chiefs then he is just a big, fat, baby. He knew the rules set by the CBA and now he is whining because he doesn't like them. If he screws the Chiefs over then he is nothing but a narcissistic whiner.

ctchiefsfan
03-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Money is not important I could not take that huge of a contract just against my ethical code

OH HELL!!!! I was overpaid a few times in my life and I LOVED IT! NOTHING wrong with Houston wanting to get paid CRAZY MONEY! My problem is the reports that he wants to "get even" with the Chiefs. He knew the damned rules and if he didn't like the rules he shouldn't have gone into the NFL.

Chiefs4life24
03-05-2015, 07:48 PM
I would hope he is not trying to spite the Chiefs but if he is I don't want him here

jap1
03-05-2015, 08:27 PM
I understand what you are saying, but the whole issue is wrapped up in the CBA. Houston got screwed in the draft because of his drug test. Just a fact. And from everything I read he's wanting to screw the Chiefs because he didn't make the cash he wanted his first 4 years and is unhappy with the franchise tag. Well...Rookie pay is set by the CBA and the the franchise tag was set up under the rules created by the CBA. If Houston didn't like the rules he probably shouldn't have gone into the NFL. All the Chiefs have done is play by the rules and Houston (if you can believe the stories) is having a hissy fit over it.

But y'know....we're arguing over foolishness based on rumors. Maybe this all works itself out. I'll be clear though...if he goes out of his way to try to screw the Chiefs then he is just a big, fat, baby. He knew the rules set by the CBA and now he is whining because he doesn't like them. If he screws the Chiefs over then he is nothing but a narcissistic whiner.

To play devil's advocate, it is entirely within the rules for him to wait until after the draft to find a team that will come sign an offer sheet we cannot beat, and it is entirely within the rules for him to sit out until week 10 before he signs his contract. Heck he could probably agree to a contract "in principle" with a specific team (lets say Raiders cuz that would piss us off the most), put nothing on paper, and wait until after the draft (so that team can plan their draft around not needing an OLB) to sign their offer sheet that we likely could not beat.

ctchiefsfan
03-06-2015, 03:50 AM
To play devil's advocate, it is entirely within the rules for him to wait until after the draft to find a team that will come sign an offer sheet we cannot beat, and it is entirely within the rules for him to sit out until week 10 before he signs his contract. Heck he could probably agree to a contract "in principle" with a specific team (lets say Raiders cuz that would piss us off the most), put nothing on paper, and wait until after the draft (so that team can plan their draft around not needing an OLB) to sign their offer sheet that we likely could not beat.

You make a good point. Though of course if he did that he would be abiding by the letter of the rules though not by the spirit of the rules. The players wanted free agency. And they got it. The franchise tag option was put in place to protect teams from losing real star players but forcing the teams to pay HUGE money to do it. Holding out until week 10 when you are going to be making just $2 million less than Peyton Manning is just being spiteful and evil.

doobs_05
03-06-2015, 11:38 AM
You make a good point. Though of course if he did that he would be abiding by the letter of the rules though not by the spirit of the rules. The players wanted free agency. And they got it. The franchise tag option was put in place to protect teams from losing real star players but forcing the teams to pay HUGE money to do it. Holding out until week 10 when you are going to be making just $2 million less than Peyton Manning is just being spiteful and evil.

But he loses money if he holds out.