PDA

View Full Version : Are we in the middle of a rebuild?

jap1
03-01-2015, 12:46 AM
With the cap position we are in, I feel like this year it will be very difficult to make any major changes. Moving forward, even though we will have a lot of cap room, we will also need to resign some key players who will likely be asking for a big chunk of money (Poe and Berry?), so I don't see our overall cap situation improving significantly.

The question is whether Dorsey sees this roster as one that is a few draft picks away from being contenders, or if it is full of overpaid players. He has had two seasons to directly evaluate the talent.

I can see things moving two directions. First would be we are NOT in rebuild mode. We retain Houston, work on a cap friendly contract, draft the players that we can and keep the press on to become a Super Bowl contender.

The other option would be us being in the middle of a quiet rebuild. There is a little evidence of some of that. How many players are left over from the Pioli era? Less than 15 total. Of those we have Hudson, Houston, Hali, Poe, JC, Bowe, DJ, Berry, Colquitt and a few backups. Berry may not play this year. Hudson, Hali, and/or Bowe may all be gone. Houston is going to be difficult to sign. What if we are in a rebuild? Maybe they are trying to position themselves to be able to make a lot of moves next offseason. They could use the non-exclusive tag on Houston and see if someone else would be willing to pay him the money he wants in exchange for two first round picks.

Let's say we go that route. We could keep Hali, move Ford into the lineup. We renegotiate Bowe to save a few more million. Let Hudson walk, and cut DeVito. We would have two first round picks this year, and two next year. If the team that signed Houston has a top 10 pick, we could pick up one of the top 3 WRs in this year's draft with the pick we received for Houston, then use the other pick for a G/T. We would the still have close to 10 draft picks in rounds 2-7. We would also have $5-10 mil in cap space to use on FAs. Next year would be a similar situation. This wouldn't be a long rebuild, as we have a lot of key pieces in place.

So, the interesting question would be whether or not Dorsey thinks there is enough talent on this team (plus a few draft picks) to be a contender, or if this team needs a facelift.

I am not sure where I feel we are. I like Houston, but I don't want to hinder our future for a record breaking contract (if that is what he is looking for).

Chiefs4life24
03-01-2015, 01:17 AM
It scares me Houston wants to be the highest paid ever from the 2 sides never being close

matthewschiefs
03-01-2015, 01:21 AM
Here's the answer to the question YES we are in a rebuild

The fact is that we've been in one since the end of the 2012 season. Despite the results.

Very few of the guys from that HORRIBLE year are still around. There were MANY new faces on this team from that horrible team in 2013. They let go a lot of dead weight and replaced it with A LOT of YOUNG talent. The thing people don't think about is that this was the 2nd youngest team in the NFL this past season. They are letting that talent grow up.

There is a lot to be excited about with this team. Despite not going to the playoffs this past season this team did make some strides they beat VERY good teams. They had a winning record against teams above .500. They had a winning record without a last place schedule. That's something we have not been able to say about this team for a LONG LONG time.

Eydugstr
03-01-2015, 02:35 AM
With the cap position we are in, I feel like this year it will be very difficult to make any major changes. Moving forward, even though we will have a lot of cap room, we will also need to resign some key players who will likely be asking for a big chunk of money (Poe and Berry?), so I don't see our overall cap situation improving significantly.

The question is whether Dorsey sees this roster as one that is a few draft picks away from being contenders, or if it is full of overpaid players. He has had two seasons to directly evaluate the talent.

I can see things moving two directions. First would be we are NOT in rebuild mode. We retain Houston, work on a cap friendly contract, draft the players that we can and keep the press on to become a Super Bowl contender.

The other option would be us being in the middle of a quiet rebuild. There is a little evidence of some of that. How many players are left over from the Pioli era? Less than 15 total. Of those we have Hudson, Houston, Hali, Poe, JC, Bowe, DJ, Berry, Colquitt and a few backups. Berry may not play this year. Hudson, Hali, and/or Bowe may all be gone. Houston is going to be difficult to sign. What if we are in a rebuild? Maybe they are trying to position themselves to be able to make a lot of moves next offseason. They could use the non-exclusive tag on Houston and see if someone else would be willing to pay him the money he wants in exchange for two first round picks.

Let's say we go that route. We could keep Hali, move Ford into the lineup. We renegotiate Bowe to save a few more million. Let Hudson walk, and cut DeVito. We would have two first round picks this year, and two next year. If the team that signed Houston has a top 10 pick, we could pick up one of the top 3 WRs in this year's draft with the pick we received for Houston, then use the other pick for a G/T. We would the still have close to 10 draft picks in rounds 2-7. We would also have $5-10 mil in cap space to use on FAs. Next year would be a similar situation. This wouldn't be a long rebuild, as we have a lot of key pieces in place.

So, the interesting question would be whether or not Dorsey thinks there is enough talent on this team (plus a few draft picks) to be a contender, or if this team needs a facelift.

I am not sure where I feel we are. I like Houston, but I don't want to hinder our future for a record breaking contract (if that is what he is looking for).

Good post.

Don't think that either Dorsey or Reid would come out and say they're in a "rebuild" mode, if anything they don't want to scare off veteran talent, or burn bridges. Reid has said publicly that they're in more of "reload" situation. Going by the results (11-5 & 9-7) I'd say he's sticking to his word.

If they get offered 2 first round draft picks for Houston, wouldn't be surprised if they went for it. There's no guarantee that Houston wouldn't get injured, and while I think he'll always be an aggressive OLB, it's unlikely he'll deliver another 22 sack season.

Chiefs4life24
03-01-2015, 02:52 AM
I think a another year or two and we wont even recognize this team for the most part, with the exception for Charles and maybe berry the rest will be new and their own drafted young talent

doobs_05
03-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Chiefs have been in rebuild mode forever it seems.

CabbageHATCHkid
03-03-2015, 12:44 PM
If you had to choose between paying Poe and Houston who do you pick. I think Im going to pick Poe. He is the most important part of the defense. See Vince Wilfork and Casey Hampton a few years ago. We can build around Poe. If Houston is going get 2 first round picks and lets make them count. We may be rebuilding but we aren't like Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Jacksonville rebuild. We are middle of the pack with or without Houston. But the extra picks could bump us out of middle of the pack to contender. It couldn't happen at a mor eperfect time too with Manning going down hill, Oakland is Oakland. And San Diego is solid but we are better now, will be better if Dorsey picks well.

Chiefs4life24
03-03-2015, 06:11 PM
This draft was gonna damn good with the picks already if someone will give us 2 first rounds for Houston the next 2 drafts could be the most important drafts we have ever had