PDA

View Full Version : how much do these affect the draft??

Chiefs4life24
03-14-2015, 08:04 PM
Do you guys think bringing in the o-line guys and Maclin and resigning our own guys will help take some pressure off in the draft or do you think they will stick to the same agenda??

N TX Dave
03-14-2015, 08:55 PM
I think it leaves them more likely to draft best player available (BPA) instead of for need.

brdempsey69
03-14-2015, 09:58 PM
I think it leaves them more likely to draft best player available (BPA) instead of for need.

I second this. No doubt that Dorsey/Reids blueprint is to address needs in FA and draft BPA. Never know who could fall to them at #18 that people thought wasn't going to be available at that slot.

Chiefs4life24
03-14-2015, 10:00 PM
Of coarse my dumb self predicted they wouldn't sign anybody in FA so that show how stupid I am. I'm kinda hoping they draft C Erving or TE Maxx Williams in the 1st and then get Agholor or Lockett in the 2nd or 3rd round

brdempsey69
03-14-2015, 10:10 PM
Of coarse my dumb self predicted they wouldn't sign anybody in FA so that show how stupid I am. I'm kinda hoping they draft C Erving or TE Maxx Williams in the 1st and then get Agholor or Lockett in the 2nd or 3rd round

You weren't being dumb. You just thought what many of us thought -- that cap space would be limited just like last year. Just turns out that this year, the Chiefs brass made cap space by cutting out the deadwood.

jap1
03-14-2015, 10:15 PM
I think exactly what N TX said. They have done a good job of filling a lot of holes and we will really be able to go BPA, OR package picks together to move up.

I have to say I am shocked and impressed with the FA period. I was sure we would only be able to get one FA and then sign a bunch of depth guys. I was convinced we would have a stagnant year because of our cap situation. With the Hali and DeVito pay cuts, and cutting Bowe we were able to make enough space to make a splash in FA.

The interior of the OL seems significantly improved with the addition of Fanaika and especially Grubbs. We even have some quality depth on the interior so we don't have a repeat. Our only question is whether Kush is starting caliber, and if we have a good RT on the roster.

At WR, I am going to be very happy with Maclin, Avant, Wilson and DAT. Add in some depth via the draft, and it feel that is a solid crew. We don't NEED to take a WR in the first, but I wouldn't object to it, even if they packaged some picks to move up and grab one of the top 3.

TE seems pretty solid with Kelce, Harris and Gordon.

RB is pretty solid as well with JC and KD. I would like to see some depth here, but KD has shown he can handle a full load on his own decently, especially if he keeps working on pass catching and blocking.

In the secondary, we have 3 solid safeties, Smith coming back and hopefully Gaines will continue to improve. We could use some more depth at CB and/or a solid NB.

At OLB we have 3 really good players (assuming Houston stays) and I think we are set with DJ and Mauga next to him on 1st and 2nd down. We could definitely use some depth and a young ILB to groom as DJ's heir and for depth.

On the DL, we have Devito, Bailey, and Poe starting with Howard, Catapano, and Worthy as solid rotational depth. I'd like to see another NT to give Poe a breather more often, but it's a pretty solid crew.

So, overall, I think we have a very competitive team.

The way I see it, we have the following needs:

Starters:
C?, RT?, WR?

Depth:
OT, C, CB, ILB, NT, WR

So we can probably go any direction in the draft.

Chiefs4life24
03-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Also with all this spending I'm hoping sign Sean Smith to an extension sometime soon. It would be awesome if Trae Wayne's or P.J. Williams fell to us cause that would give us an elite Corner combo

Chiefs4life24
03-14-2015, 11:26 PM
My best remaining Free Agents I would like to see KC sign

WR- Cecil Shorts 2011 4th round pick by the Jags 27 years old and has caught at least 50 passes the past 3 seasons I believe he would fit nicely in this system.

RT- Joe Barksdale played for the Rams Mauling Run Blocker rated the 11th best run blocking Tackle last season and he is only 27 years old. My thinking on this is we could draft 2 or 3 linemen and learn from these guys

Justin5772002
03-14-2015, 11:49 PM
My best remaining Free Agents I would like to see KC sign

WR- Cecil Shorts 2011 4th round pick by the Jags 27 years old and has caught at least 50 passes the past 3 seasons I believe he would fit nicely in this system.

RT- Joe Barksdale played for the Rams Mauling Run Blocker rated the 11th best run blocking Tackle last season and he is only 27 years old. My thinking on this is we could draft 2 or 3 linemen and learn from these guys
I like your idea on Cecil Shorts because he has had a QB carousel practically every year and still managed to put up decent numbers. Though I don't see us going after any more receivers in FA, if we go WR again it will be in the draft.

Eydugstr
03-15-2015, 12:56 AM

With our cap space, I assumed it'd be like last year, which was sort of like exchanging vanilla, so don't feel alone.

Definitely. If a surprise player falls to us in the draft this year, we've got the extra picks this time.

slc chief
03-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Alot of analyst are saying if mariota drops that far chiefs could be a landing spot. I dont see it happening or nor would I want it. But it is one of the rumors flying around the league

N TX Dave
03-15-2015, 02:43 PM
That is good for us, if by chance he does drop to us someone that wants him (think Philly) they will be willing to give us some more draft picks to move up and get him, that is unless Andy really wants him.

jason1981
03-15-2015, 03:33 PM
That is good for us, if by chance he does drop to us someone that wants him (think Philly) they will be willing to give us some more draft picks to move up and get him, that is unless Andy really wants him.

We dont need to trade back we need to trade up if anything. We already have enough picks this year. 11 picks isnt going to make the team as it is already.

jason1981
03-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Quality over quantity.

Chiefs4life24
03-15-2015, 03:51 PM
I has seemed like if a team wants to trade up they spend less for it at least thats been the trend the last couple of drafts, i wouldnt mortgage the teams future though, but if they could get in the top 10 for 2 or 3 picks i would be fine with that

Bortnem
03-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Alot of analyst are saying if mariota drops that far chiefs could be a landing spot. I dont see it happening or nor would I want it. But it is one of the rumors flying around the league

I know we have other needs, but if Mariota falls to us I would think the brass would think long and hard about taking him. Experts say he has all the tools, he just needs a couple years to put it all together, and he has off the charts football IQ. Could be just like when the Aaron Rodgers fell to the Packers when they had Brett Farve and did not need a QB. That turned out pretty well for them, and I think Mariota would be a stud in a couple/few years, especially learning from Alex Smith. But I doubt he will make it out of the top 10

jason1981
03-15-2015, 06:02 PM
I has seemed like if a team wants to trade up they spend less for it at least thats been the trend the last couple of drafts, i wouldnt mortgage the teams future though, but if they could get in the top 10 for 2 or 3 picks i would be fine with that

Me to or trade back i to the 1st round as wellif there is someone they really like.

N TX Dave
03-15-2015, 06:09 PM
We dont need to trade back we need to trade up if anything. We already have enough picks this year. 11 picks isnt going to make the team as it is already.

I am only talking a couple of places with Philly because Kelly would like to get his old college QB and if there are a couple of players Dorsey and Reid like why not, they would still go one of them.

brdempsey69
03-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Personally, I'm not sure Mariota will fall to #18. I'll go out on the limb and project him to the Saints at #13, as they need to get a QB to groom to replace Drew Brees because he ain't getting any younger.

One mock draft has the Chiefs taking Center Cameron Erving -- same school as Rodney Hudson, but Erving is bigger and stronger. Not a sexy pick and many Chiefs fans will be PO'd, but Erving is projected as a mid to late 1st rounder and they say he plays with a mean streak. Gotta solidify the middle of the O-Line, as their was too much pressure coming up the gut last year. That's assuming the top 3 WR's are off the board.

jason1981
03-15-2015, 09:49 PM
Personally, I'm not sure Mariota will fall to #18. I'll go out on the limb and project him to the Saints at #13, as they need to get a QB to groom to replace Drew Brees because he ain't getting any younger.

One mock draft has the Chiefs taking Center Cameron Erving -- same school as Rodney Hudson, but Erving is bigger and stronger. Not a sexy pick and many Chiefs fans will be PO'd, but Erving is projected as a mid to late 1st rounder and they say he plays with a mean streak. Gotta solidify the middle of the O-Line, as their was too much pressure coming up the gut last year. That's assuming the top 3 WR's are off the board.

I wont be mad with a center with the 1st pick. Like you said their was way to kuch pressure up the middle.

bill444
03-16-2015, 12:55 AM
I would be disappointed with erving as 1st rd pick. he was a pretty pedestrian offensive lineman until moved to center. yes-he showed some ability there, but I think there are guys like that later on. i.e. guys who played center as underclassmen who were "promoted" to tackle--not the other way around. not as

bill444
03-16-2015, 01:12 AM
I wouldn't mind moving back a few spots. saying we have too many picks is crazy IMO. you can never have too many 2nd and 3rd rd picks. it also gives you other options like being able to make trades in the middle rds, etc. even getting picks for next year

jason1981
03-16-2015, 01:41 AM
I wouldn't mind moving back a few spots. saying we have too many picks is crazy IMO. you can never have too many 2nd and 3rd rd picks. it also gives you other options like being able to make trades in the middle rds, etc. even getting picks for next year

I just want Quality over quantity.

Chiefs4life24
03-16-2015, 02:01 AM
We still have to these kids let's not forget about that

bill444
03-16-2015, 03:34 AM
I just want Quality over quantity.

i understand that. no offense meant. just saying that dropping back a few spots and still getting a targeted player + the sweet 3rd or 4th rounder makes sense to me. certainly rounds after that should not be sought. don't see that they do much harm though especially if in next years draft. I don't claim to be a judge of talent, but there are a couple guys that I like in the 6th rd area. couple G/ c

Eydugstr
03-16-2015, 07:29 AM

While I'm still not 100% on drafting a center with the first...The idea does make sense. Chances are good we'll still find talent at WR in the 2nd-4th rounds of this draft class. As we learned from the 2012 season, better have a backup center.

Seek
03-16-2015, 09:01 AM

I would rather trade up and get a guy we really want instead of settling for one that falls to us. Probably a third of our picks will be cut anyway unless the Chiefs really hit on all of them or are drafted for next year and not this year.

Chiefs4life24
03-16-2015, 09:47 AM
I would like to see us trade our 6th and 7th round picks to stockpile a couple mid round picks for next year

jason1981
03-16-2015, 12:00 PM
I would rather trade up and get a guy we really want instead of settling for one that falls to us. Probably a third of our picks will be cut anyway unless the Chiefs really hit on all of them or are drafted for next year and not this year.

I 100%agree amd what iv been saying. Theres no way 11 picks makes our team unless they nail them all but even then you migh5 have to release another talented player. Quality over quantity is all i want. We could use our lower picks to trade up in the higher rounds.

jason1981
03-16-2015, 12:02 PM
I would like to see us trade our 6th and 7th round picks to stockpile a couple mid round picks for next year

Also not a bad idea depending how they felt how they drafted and if we get an upgrade next year like this years 6th for nex5 years 5th amd 7th for a 6th. But also why not use our bottom picks to maybe move up in the 3rd amd 4th round to get better players. If its possible.

Pro_Angler
03-16-2015, 03:40 PM
I 100% believe what we have done in the last 7 days will take alot of stress off the draft. We can now use some of our picks to trade up for a better player as well.

Chiefs4life24
03-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Personally i wouldn't be upset if they didn't trade up can't mortgage the teams future by giving up multiple picks for 1 player. It has to be for the right player and price or don't do it. Plenty of depth in this draft to get quality stud players

ctchiefsfan
03-18-2015, 02:17 PM
For certain sure it will be interesting to see what we do in this draft. With the comp picks Dorsey has he was going to have a lot of flexibility in the draft and with these Free Agency moves he has even more. Really hoping he hits a few home runs.

Seek
03-19-2015, 01:23 PM
So what happens if the Cards do offer Houston a contract. Is there a player in this draft the Chiefs could take to replace Houston. I am assuming this wouldn't be done until after the draft, but I am sure the Chiefs would have some idea if it would happen.