PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Peters discussion...

ctchiefsfan
05-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Reactions to this pick have been all over the lot. I've seen everything from WTF to GREAT! As I've said before, I don't really follow the college game but I've done a fair amount of reading about Peters and I like this pick. The downside on him is that he could be a real problem child and could draw a lot of penalties and create problems in the locker room. But I think--or maybe I should say hope--that the leaders and coaches we have on Defense should be able to make him understand that losing his temper or being TOO aggressive could ruin what could be a truly promising and profitable career. On the upside, he could become a real shutdown cornerback.

But in the end what I really like about this pick is what it tells me about Reid and Dorsey and what they are thinking. There were plenty of "safe" picks available at # 18, but Reid-Dorsey went for a pick that was a gamble--an almost certain boom or bust type deal. This tells me that Reid and Dorsey think we are close to being where we want to be and that they are willing to take some gambles to get there. They are not trying to be a 8-8, 9-7, 10-6 type team and just keep their jobs. They are really going all-out to bring a Superbowl to our Chiefs. And that is what I want from management and coaching.

Even if Peters turns out to be a bust I'll still like this pick...simply because it shows me that Reid and Dorsey are really playing the game to WIN--not to avoid failing!

chiefnut
05-02-2015, 02:32 PM
i have watched film of 7 different games, I saw some good some bad. first he is really a good press cover corner off the line. he gets right in the receivers face and slows him down or even takes him out of his route. there is a lot of trash talkin goin on and sometimes really gets the receiver to lose his cool. he sticks with him pretty tight....for awhile
that as the good
the bad..I saw him get juked n space and was left sitting on the field, he is an arm tackler, bigger players brake away, he is NOT a physical tackler-he relies on speed and ankle tackles, he quits on plays away from him [such as if a run went up the middle, he would leave his man to close in but if any of his teammates engage the ball carrier he stops even before the tackle is made]....like I said doesn't like contact

ctchiefsfan
05-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the input chiefnut! You pointed out some valuable information. As I said, he's a gamble. I think the points you made are things that can be fixed with good coaching. Or I hope so anyway. His speed and aggressive playing style allowed him him to "get by" in college and even look special. Naturally, he will have to become a better rounded player if he wants to achieve the success and big payday he wants in the NFL. But that is why we have coaches....to build on a players strengths and fix their weaknesses.

IMO he has the talent and drive to become a truly great CB though he isn't one yet. But I think we have the coaches that can take the abundance of talent he has and finish him off into a really great CB. I may be completely wrong, but I think we have the coaching staff that can get the job done.