PDA

View Full Version : Is Alex a Genius?

NickheadKCAU
06-26-2015, 03:45 AM
think about it...

he has only been efficient because hes never had anyone to throw the long ball to?

a game manager means he is dealing with the tools provided.

is it possible were he in a donkey uniform the last two years he would have eclipsed 4000 yards?

i think we underestimate alex.

if he had the same teams as say peyton or brees, he would put up the same numbers.

Chiefster
06-26-2015, 09:39 PM
Anything is possible; I maintain that what we had in Matt Castle was the very opposite of a Game Manager yet we have been no closer to a championship since. However, Smith has only been with the team for two years and given the choice I would take Smith over Castle any day of the week and twice on Sunday. A good QB is only as good as his supporting cast, IMO, so your point has some merit.

I'm looking forward to the start of the season...as always! :smile

matthewschiefs
06-26-2015, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't agree that Smith would be putting up the same numbers as Manning, Brees ect

A thing that does hold Alex back a bit is that he's not aggressive he tends to play it safe and sometimes to safe. That's something the Manning and Brees will have over him with the same group. I will agree many underestimate Alex but he just isn't going to put up those numbers

But I would agree that we didn't have much to work with going downfield. I mean if you covered Bowe then who else did we have? Frankie Hammond JR? AJ Jenkins? Would they scare ANYONE?

Chiefster
06-26-2015, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't agree that Smith would be putting up the same numbers as Manning, Brees ect

A thing that does hold Alex back a bit is that he's not aggressive he tends to play it safe and sometimes to safe. That's something the Manning and Brees will have over him with the same group. I will agree many underestimate Alex but he just isn't going to put up those numbers

But I would agree that we didn't have much to work with going downfield. I mean if you covered Bowe then who else did we have? Frankie Hammond JR? AJ Jenkins? Would they scare ANYONE?

True, and fortunately I don't think he has to if he has someone to throw to. The run game will take care of the rest.

ctchiefsfan
06-26-2015, 10:53 PM
I like Alex Smith. I think he will break the curse and *maybe even* get us a Super Bowl appearance. But I don't think for a minute that he'll ever get mentioned in the same breath as Staubach, Montana, Manning etc.

But y'know.....give him a good O-line, good receivers and JC and I think that he *might*, *maybe* could win a Super Bowl. It's not like he didn't get at least close in San Fran.

Lesser QBs than Smith have won Super Bowls. With his contract, he is what we have for at least the next 2 years so we need to give him all the tools (O-line, receivers, running game) that we can. It's not like those tools won't benefit whoever replaces Alex. With Reid taking some of the load off JC maybe JC can last the 4-6 more years he claims he wants. Lets remember....Marcus Allen came to us when he was 32 or 33--about 3 years older than JC is now-- and played for us VERY EFFECTIVELY. With a lightened work load I have no problem imagining JC playing for us for 2-3 years after Smith leaves. Build the O-line from youth, build the receiver corps and I see no reason JC could't get a ring with whoever replaces Smith.

As for Cassel.....I'd rather have Chase Daniel.

brdempsey69
06-26-2015, 11:07 PM
I'll be honest, here. The question of this thread is almost like asking is Elway a Donkey? Well, the pic below of these twins should easily answer that question.

Eydugstr
06-27-2015, 12:58 AM
I like Alex Smith. I think he will break the curse and *maybe even* get us a Super Bowl appearance. But I don't think for a minute that he'll ever get mentioned in the same breath as Staubach, Montana, Manning etc.

But y'know.....give him a good O-line, good receivers and JC and I think that he *might*, *maybe* could win a Super Bowl. It's not like he didn't get at least close in San Fran.

Lesser QBs than Smith have won Super Bowls. With his contract, he is what we have for at least the next 2 years so we need to give him all the tools (O-line, receivers, running game) that we can. It's not like those tools won't benefit whoever replaces Alex. With Reid taking some of the load off JC maybe JC can last the 4-6 more years he claims he wants. Lets remember....Marcus Allen came to us when he was 32 or 33--about 3 years older than JC is now-- and played for us VERY EFFECTIVELY. With a lightened work load I have no problem imagining JC playing for us for 2-3 years after Smith leaves. Build the O-line from youth, build the receiver corps and I see no reason JC could't get a ring with whoever replaces Smith.

As for Cassel.....I'd rather have Chase Daniel.

THIS. My feeling is that Smith was brought here, not to be the next Montana, but to help get this team back to respectability, without putting the fanbase through multiple losing seasons to rebuild.

Eydugstr
06-27-2015, 12:59 AM
I'll be honest, here. The question of this thread is almost like asking is Elway a Donkey? Well, the pic below of these twins should easily answer that question.

Dangitall I just ate, the last thing I needed to see was a picture from Elway's family tree.

ctchiefsfan
06-27-2015, 09:24 AM

Whose that UGLY FORNICATOR on the right?

brdempsey69
06-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Whose that UGLY FORNICATOR on the right?

A pitiful excuse for its mommy not exercising birth-control at whatever point in time it was conceived.

THIS. My feeling is that Smith was brought here, not to be the next Montana, but to help get this team back to respectability, without putting the fanbase through multiple losing seasons to rebuild.

People continually miss this point. Why not bring a guy like Alex Smith on board to help get more W's, than they would get if they drafted a QB and thrown him into the fire, only to watch the drafted QB struggle and the L's keep piling up.

ctchiefsfan
06-27-2015, 09:58 PM
A pitiful excuse for its mommy not exercising birth-control at whatever point in time it was conceived.

People continually miss this point. Why not bring a guy like Alex Smith on board to help get more W's, than they would get if they drafted a QB and thrown him into the fire, only to watch the drafted QB struggle and the L's keep piling up.

You got that EXACTLY RIGHT. 2 years with Alex, Reid and Dorsey and our regular season record is 20-12. 62.5% win record. In the previous 9 years (2004-2012) the Chiefs were 55-89. 38.1% win record. Go back to 98 and it doesn't get any better. From '98 to 2003 (6 years) and there were only 2 winning seasons. The last time we went 20-12 over 2 years was '03 and '04.....more than 10 years. Smith-Reid-Dorsey is a winning combination. Will it be a good enough combination to win the Super Bowl? Dunno. But I know that so far it's a much better combination than we have seen in a LONG TIME.

slc chief
06-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Ha the elway pics are hilarious. The alex being a genius well yeah he is a very very smart qb. But there is no way he is close to manning or brees talent wise. If he played for the donkeys or saints he would put about the same numbers as he has as a chief and a 49er. Alex is what he is he will never be a gun slinger high attempt guy.

Chiefs4life24
06-28-2015, 09:03 PM
Manning isn't that gifted either

slc chief
06-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Manning isn't that gifted either
Ha obviously. I cant stand him as a donkey. But it was fun watching him perform with the colts. Except the chiefs indy playoff game where there was not one defensive stop

brdempsey69
06-28-2015, 11:14 PM
Ha the elway pics are hilarious. The alex being a genius well yeah he is a very very smart qb. But there is no way he is close to manning or brees talent wise. If he played for the donkeys or saints he would put about the same numbers as he has as a chief and a 49er. Alex is what he is he will never be a gun slinger high attempt guy.

Last time anybody checked, Smith won the post-season head to head match against Brees, and also last time anybody checked, Alex hasn't crapped his pants in the post-season or choked the way Manning has.

Eydugstr
06-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Brees took a little while to develop; Manning was really good from word go but growing up with Archie Manning as your dad will have that effect on a person.

ctchiefsfan
06-29-2015, 11:05 AM
Brees took a little while to develop; Manning was really good from word go but growing up with Archie Manning as your dad will have that effect on a person.

Yeah...If I remember correctly Dawson held the record for most completed passes in a row in a single game for quite a while and I thing it was Archie Manning who broke it with 17.

ctchiefsfan
06-29-2015, 11:07 AM
Last time anybody checked, Smith won the post-season head to head match against Brees, and also last time anybody checked, Alex hasn't crapped his pants in the post-season or choked the way Manning has.

From what I have seen, Alex generally performs better in the playoffs than the regular season. I may be wrong, but doesn't manning hold the record for most one and dones by a QB?

matthewschiefs
06-29-2015, 01:53 PM

Pretty much agree here.

Alex would put up somewhat better numbers with those teams I would say I think he would have had a WR with a TD not throwing to the likes of AJ Jenkins and Frankie Hammonds outside of there number 1. But I don't think he would come close to having the Manning or Brees numbers. He just doesn't have that aggersion.

Eydugstr
06-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Yeah...If I remember correctly Dawson held the record for most completed passes in a row in a single game for quite a while and I thing it was Archie Manning who broke it with 17.

What I remember most about Archie Manning was that he got voted league MVP, depsite being on a team that was 7-9.

Eydugstr
06-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Pretty much agree here.

Alex would put up somewhat better numbers with those teams I would say I think he would have had a WR with a TD not throwing to the likes of AJ Jenkins and Frankie Hammonds outside of there number 1. But I don't think he would come close to having the Manning or Brees numbers. He just doesn't have that aggersion.

Donnie Avery didn't make that list ??

While I don't think that Alex Smith will ever be a 4000yd a season QB, do think that he can be a consistent 3600yd a season QB with the right supporting cast. Most of those 4000+ yd season QB's are in that club because of their quick release. Two steps and that ball is gone, for better or for worse.

matthewschiefs
06-29-2015, 06:22 PM

While I don't think that Alex Smith will ever be a 4000yd a season QB, do think that he can be a consistent 3600yd a season QB with the right supporting cast. Most of those 4000+ yd season QB's are in that club because of their quick release. Two steps and that ball is gone, for better or for worse.

Avery missed most of last season that's why I didn't include him for most of the year starting the other side of Bowe was Aj Jenkins or Frankie hammond. Until Wilson and DAT started seeing more time late in the year and they brought in Avant

Almighty chief
06-29-2015, 08:42 PM
hopefully we can resign Avery for a cheaper price. dudes a burner. ill always remember that bomb Smith threw to him in our playoff debacle. he really just had one bad season.

matthewschiefs
06-29-2015, 09:50 PM
hopefully we can resign Avery for a cheaper price. dudes a burner. ill always remember that bomb Smith threw to him in our playoff debacle. he really just had one bad season.

I'm not even sure you can really say it was "bad" he was just hurt. If he signs for cheap hell yeah any help at WR is good help. We still don't have a lot of proven talent there. But we have some young guys that have a lot of potential for sure. FINALLY starting to see them really trying to build talent on offense.

Eydugstr
06-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Eh, after his performance in the Titans game, and all the drops in a lot of others...I'd pass on re-signing Avery, at any price.

Seek
06-30-2015, 09:09 AM
I like Alex. He is doing only what he is asked and expected to. He proved that he can put the game on his shoulders when needed as he has done for both San Fran and KC in the play offs. He does need help at WR.

However, to think if he played for Denver he would be much better is looking at the wrong variable to me. I hadn't even heard of some of the receivers Denver had until Manning got there. They have since lost some of those receivers to big contracts only to have those guys drop off in production and someone else steps up.

Emmanuel Sanders wasn't a top free agent. He was a guy that was handy, he goes to Denver and basically explodes with Manning.

ctchiefsfan
06-30-2015, 10:11 AM

An interesting point about whether Alex can be a 4,000 yards per year QB.

I don't think there is any chance he could do it year in and year out. It's not his style and it not really our offensive game plan under Reid. That said, if we got the "perfect storm" of a great O-line, some great receivers and had JC burning things up I think Alex might be able to crack 4,000 in one season. But it would have to be a season where EVERYTHING went "just right".

But I agree that with the right support Alex could be a consistent 3600-3800 yards per season QB. That's 225-237 yards per game. We should keep in mind that Alex has never played a full 16 game regular season for us. He was out on week 17 both years. In 2013 Alex averaged 220.8 yards per game. In 2014 he averaged 217.66. Based on those averages, if he had played 16 games in 2013 he'd have had 3532 yards and in 2014 he'd have had 3482. When you look at those numbers it becomes very easy to see Alex having consistent 3600 yard seasons if he plays 16 games. And in 2014 he'd have only needed to average an extra 16.75 yards per game to hit 3800 yards for the season.

In addition to Alex never having played 16 games for us, we need to remember that his 2 best seasons ever have both come with the Chiefs (3313 yards in 2013 and 3265 yards in 2014). His 3rd best year was 3144 yards in 2011 when he played 16 games. His average yards per game since coming to KC has been 22.8 yards MORE PER GAME than his best season in San Fran in any season when he had more than 11 games.

So yeah....Alex can be a consistent 3600 to 3800 yards per season QB if he plays all 16 games. And if a QB is consistently throwing for 3600 to 3800 yards per season it's not much of a stretch to say that he *could* have a great season and break 4,000 yards.

If Fisher picks it up in a big way this year and the rest of the O-line does noticeably better than last year and Maclin proves substantially better than Bowe I can easily see Alex having a 3800 yard season in 2015 and that's in a year when I think we can all agree it looks like we have a very tough schedule.

I think Alex is going to surprise us all and turn out to be a much better QB than any of us expected.

slc chief
06-30-2015, 03:35 PM
Is 4000 a year even that impressive anymore with today's soft league 5000 is the new 4000 .12 guys threw for 4k yards last year. If alex does throw for that much I would be CONCERNED because our bread and butter should be our run game and our top 5 defense

Eydugstr
06-30-2015, 04:30 PM
An interesting point about whether Alex can be a 4,000 yards per year QB.

I don't think there is any chance he could do it year in and year out. It's not his style and it not really our offensive game plan under Reid. That said, if we got the "perfect storm" of a great O-line, some great receivers and had JC burning things up I think Alex might be able to crack 4,000 in one season. But it would have to be a season where EVERYTHING went "just right".

But I agree that with the right support Alex could be a consistent 3600-3800 yards per season QB. That's 225-237 yards per game. We should keep in mind that Alex has never played a full 16 game regular season for us. He was out on week 17 both years. In 2013 Alex averaged 220.8 yards per game. In 2014 he averaged 217.66. Based on those averages, if he had played 16 games in 2013 he'd have had 3532 yards and in 2014 he'd have had 3482. When you look at those numbers it becomes very easy to see Alex having consistent 3600 yard seasons if he plays 16 games. And in 2014 he'd have only needed to average an extra 16.75 yards per game to hit 3800 yards for the season.

In addition to Alex never having played 16 games for us, we need to remember that his 2 best seasons ever have both come with the Chiefs (3313 yards in 2013 and 3265 yards in 2014). His 3rd best year was 3144 yards in 2011 when he played 16 games. His average yards per game since coming to KC has been 22.8 yards MORE PER GAME than his best season in San Fran in any season when he had more than 11 games.

So yeah....Alex can be a consistent 3600 to 3800 yards per season QB if he plays all 16 games. And if a QB is consistently throwing for 3600 to 3800 yards per season it's not much of a stretch to say that he *could* have a great season and break 4,000 yards.

If Fisher picks it up in a big way this year and the rest of the O-line does noticeably better than last year and Maclin proves substantially better than Bowe I can easily see Alex having a 3800 yard season in 2015 and that's in a year when I think we can all agree it looks like we have a very tough schedule.

I think Alex is going to surprise us all and turn out to be a much better QB than any of us expected.

Again, a lot of this can be cured by cutting down on the drops. If we can get our recievers to cut the drops by a half, there's no reason we can't average 17 yards more per ball game. That's just yards, not to mention the first downs or scores acquired as a result. 3600-3800 yards by no means is a great benchmark or accomplishment these days, but for the style of game Smith plays, think it's very doable.

matthewschiefs
06-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Is 4000 a year even that impressive anymore with today's soft league 5000 is the new 4000 .12 guys threw for 4k yards last year. If alex does throw for that much I would be CONCERNED because our bread and butter should be our run game and our top 5 defense

Agree

If Alex is throwing for a bunch of yards that to me will mean 1 of 2 things.

1. We were behind a lot in a lot of games
2. Reid got all pass happy which has been really bad for the offense.

But if he's putting up that many yards and we are scoring I won't be to upset

ctchiefsfan
06-30-2015, 11:19 PM

You make some good points. Ever since Manning did 5,000 in a season now everybody expects AT LEAST 4,000 in a season. But just because I am mean and ornery I say that is all crap. Big passing yards are great to have, but wins are better.

The name of the game is BALANCE! What you want is a strong rushing attack, a strong short passing game, a strong 8-12 yard passing game and a long passing game that at least keeps enemy defenses HONEST. With that combination and a strong defense you win playoff games and maybe Super Bowls. We have most of what we need....rushing and defense. What remains to be seen is if we have the receivers and O-line to give us an effective multi-dimensional passing game.

I'm not sure we are there yet but I think that Reid-Dorsey is getting us closer and closer every year.

ctchiefsfan
06-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Again, a lot of this can be cured by cutting down on the drops. If we can get our recievers to cut the drops by a half, there's no reason we can't average 17 yards more per ball game. That's just yards, not to mention the first downs or scores acquired as a result. 3600-3800 yards by no means is a great benchmark or accomplishment these days, but for the style of game Smith plays, think it's very doable.

EXACTLY! 3600-3800 yards passing per season is 225 to 238 yards per game average over the course of a 16 game season. Throw in 80 yards (or close) per game from JC and a few yards from Knile Davis and you have 325 to 365 yards per game. Add in special teams and a killer defense and you're going to win a boatload of games.

IMO we are close....VERY CLOSE....Only question mark now is O-line. Mr. Fisher....PLEASE STEP UP!!!!

slc chief
07-01-2015, 08:52 AM
EXACTLY! 3600-3800 yards passing per season is 225 to 238 yards per game average over the course of a 16 game season. Throw in 80 yards (or close) per game from JC and a few yards from Knile Davis and you have 325 to 365 yards per game. Add in special teams and a killer defense and you're going to win a boatload of games.

IMO we are close....VERY CLOSE....Only question mark now is O-line. Mr. Fisher....PLEASE STEP UP!!!!
Now that sounds like a winning recipe. The only thing I would like to see differant from our passing game is the receivers actually being reliable. And for smith to take a couple of shots so defenses have to respect our mid and long range throws. I really think this defense is going to be something special this year.

slc chief
07-01-2015, 08:59 AM
I also think maclins yac yards are going to help this passing game tremendously. He had 1300 last season only a handful of other receivers did better in that department

Almighty chief
07-01-2015, 11:32 AM
our lbs worry me even with DJ. he's a good run stuffer but he gets burned on the pass.
. don't think maugua is a starter either.

slc chief
07-01-2015, 01:48 PM
We have 3 all pro caliber lb's I am not that concerned plus dj has got to be nice and refreshed after missing last season

ctchiefsfan
07-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Now that sounds like a winning recipe. The only thing I would like to see differant from our passing game is the receivers actually being reliable. And for smith to take a couple of shots so defenses have to respect our mid and long range throws. I really think this defense is going to be something special this year.

You have hit the nail EXACTLY on the head! An offense led by Alex is never going to live or die by the pass. An offense led by Alex needs BALANCE. 100-120 yards per game on the ground from JC and Knile. 225-235 in the air from Alex. So 325-365 yards of offense per game. That will win a lot of games. Especially with our Toub-led special teams. But to accomplish that you can't rely on JC and 0-3 yard beyond the LOS passes. You have to have a good 6-10 beyond the LOS passing game and you MUST air the ball out at least enough to force the enemy to at least cover the long ball.

We have the potential to have a very strong offense this year. Only question is Fisher and the O-line. Our defense should be KILLER....if Houston plays before week 10.

jap1
07-02-2015, 06:38 PM
our lbs worry me even with DJ. he's a good run stuffer but he gets burned on the pass.

I always thought DJ was really good in pass coverage. That is part of the reason why we kept getting beat on crossing routes.

Almighty chief
07-03-2015, 10:46 PM
i only seen him get burned by Manning. we have got a find a way to split the series with the donkeys. if not a slim chance to even get wildcard at best

Seek
07-06-2015, 12:36 PM

The only issue DJ has with getting burned on passes is the number of interceptions he has dropped over the years. DJ is solid in pass coverage. I would tend to direct you to the Safety if you think DJ got burned.

slc chief
07-06-2015, 01:03 PM
i only seen him get burned by Manning. we have got a find a way to split the series with the donkeys. if not a slim chance to even get wildcard at best
Manning is going to be the one getting burned. Especially in arrowhead on a primetime thursday night game. Ask the pats how that went for them.dj and the rest of our lbs will be just fine against that weak o line

Almighty chief
07-06-2015, 06:13 PM
i hope so. ain't we playing them in mile high turd Thursday night
. either way doesn't matter we got this. they cheated us there last year tho.

ctchiefsfan
07-06-2015, 07:17 PM
i hope so. ain't we playing them in mile high turd Thursday night
. either way doesn't matter we got this. they cheated us there last year tho.

Week 2 is Thusday, September 17 at Arrowhead. Week 10 is Sunday, November 15 in donkeyland.

NickheadKCAU
11-20-2015, 01:15 AM
ill be curious to see how the end of year stats end up... especially now JC is out for the season...

that, and the win/loss record too...

ctchiefsfan
11-20-2015, 03:44 AM
ill be curious to see how the end of year stats end up... especially now JC is out for the season...

that, and the win/loss record too...

Must keep in mind that a QBs stats are affected by many things. Alex's passing yards per game have gone down since we started winning. He is throwing fewer passes for fewer yards. After the Vikings loss he was on track for almost 4,200 yards on the season. Now his track is for about 3,850. Alex does best when we don't pass as much. He is no gunslinger and never has been. If we are forced to pass a lot Alex will run up good YPG but lose. In this offense Alex's job is to throw safe passes, throw no picks and let the running game set up the opportunity for him to occasionally make a big play. It's a very conservative offense but it works because we have a good running offense. We are very lucky that West stepped up after JC got hurt.

NickheadKCAU
11-20-2015, 04:51 AM
its a gut feeling, but i really think the chiefs sneak in as division winners.

i was a homer at the beginning, lost hope, but man....

maybe losing charles caught opponents by surprise...

but...

having said that, we all know, things can turn on a dime.

ctchiefsfan
11-20-2015, 05:55 AM

but...

Very possibly. But it still comes down to one thing. We must sweep the Chargers and the Raiders and go AT LEAST 6-1 for the balance of the season.

Chiefster
11-21-2015, 12:37 PM

but...

In order for this to happen the rest of the Donks season would need to be a complete bust and, as ctchiefsfan stated, we'd need to sweep the Chargers and get at least 6 more wins. Don't forget that the two touchdowns the Chiefs gave up last Sunday was against their #2 QB.

Eydugstr
11-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Very possibly. But it still comes down to one thing. We must sweep the Chargers and the Raiders and go AT LEAST 6-1 for the balance of the season.

We've got our work cut out for us. If we beat the Chargers this Sunday, it'll end their playoff hopes.

NickheadKCAU
11-21-2015, 05:16 PM
the good thing for the chiefs, is they are only three games out with seven to play.

lets see how denver handles the uncertainty at the qb spot.

Chiefs4life24
11-21-2015, 05:39 PM
And we can't afford to sit the starters we need everyone

Chiefster
11-21-2015, 10:23 PM
For your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYxJEzXE1Hc

ctchiefsfan
11-22-2015, 03:52 AM
EXCELLENT!!!!! Can't watch that game enough! Thanks for posting it!!!!

NickheadKCAU
11-24-2015, 04:43 AM
For your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYxJEzXE1Hc

why was it so foggy thru the whole game, i checked the weather, and it was clear as day.

Eydugstr
11-24-2015, 05:44 AM
The white spot is probably from the camera flash, or light reflecting off the screen when they filmed it.

NickheadKCAU
11-25-2015, 04:26 AM
the good thing for the chiefs, is they are only three games out with seven to play.

lets see how denver handles the uncertainty at the qb spot.
damned ozwheeler.....

lets hope manning comes back too early...

if kc beats buffalo, with that defense, we are in good shape...

NickheadKCAU
11-25-2015, 04:33 AM
The white spot is probably from the camera flash, or light reflecting off the screen when they filmed it.

it was a good joke gone bad.. i know its a watermark... was just playin....

ctchiefsfan
11-25-2015, 06:59 AM
Same fellow appears to have Chiefs and several other games up every week.