PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith vs. Russell Wilson. Let's compare.

ctchiefsfan
07-31-2015, 03:45 PM
These Alex Smith threads usually annoy me, but I'm always willing to listen to a real Chiefs fan rather than some random Smith-hating troll.

So I had a little time on my hands and decided to see how one of the most successful QBs these last 3 years compares with Alex Smith.

I'm not saying this "proves" anything and I don't expect to change anybody's "opinion" but hey.....Wilson has 3 years in the NFL and he has a pretty impressive record. 5 playoff wins. 2 Super Bowl appearances. 1 Super Bowl win. NOBODY is going to say that is not impressive.....RIGHT??????

So Wilson must be HUGELY BETTER than Alex Smith.....RIGHT??????

LET'S LOOK AND SEE.....

I'm only going to compare 2013 and 2014 because Alex was with the 9ers in 2012 and only played 10 games that year...But for the Smith-haters, please be aware that Alex's per game numbers were pretty similar in the 10 games he played in 2012 to the 2 years he played in KC.

I'm not good at putting charts and graphs on bulletin boards like this but I'll do my best. Wilson is in black. Alex is in (red).

Attempts.....completions....% complete...yards.............avg completion....yds / game...TDs ......INT...sack.....

407-(508).....257-(308)....63.1%-(60.6)..3357-(3313).......8.2-(6.5)........209.8-(220.9)..26-(23)..9-(7).44-(33)

452-(464)...285-(303).....63.1-(65.3)....3475-(3265).......7.7-(7.0).......217.2-(217.7)...20-(17)..7-(6?).42-(45)

FULL DISCLOSURE......All above numbers are from nfl.com. There is a "?" after Alex's # of interceptions in 2014 because my memory is that he had 7 ints last year, not 6.

So what does all this tell us????.....

First off, there is ONLY one stat where Wilson is vastly better than Alex and that is yards per completion. But is anybody REALLY SURPRISED???? We all know our WRs SUCKED in 2014 and were nothing special in 2013. Reid-Dorsey seem to have taken steps to address that problem.

2cond.....Alex Smith's average completion % is ALMOST IDENTICAL to Wilson.

3rd.....Alex Smith averages MORE yards per game passing than Wilson. (remember, Alex only played 15 games per season these 2 years so while he had substantially fewer yards per season, his yards per GAME averaged more yards per game than Wilson....although only by 5.8 yards per game. Essentially, identical numbers.

4th....Alex averages 0.2 fewer touchdowns per game (1.2 FEWER POINTS PER GAME BY PASSING TOUCHDOWN) than Wilson. IS IT JUST POSSIBLE THAT THIS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH SECOND RATE WIDE RECEIVERS?????

5th.....Alex Smith averages fewer interceptions per season than Wilson. IS THAT A BAD THING????????? I don't think so.

6th....Alex Smith averages fewer sacks per season than Wilson. IS THAT A BAD THING??????? I don't think so.

CONCLUSION......Alex Smith over the last 2 years has been nearly identical to Russell Wilson (the most successful QB in the NFL those same two years in all stats EXCEPT yards per completion.)

The only nagging area where Alex is not almost a TWIN of Wilson (or slightly better) is yards per completion. And unless my memory has completely failed me I think this has been discussed here at some length and that the general consensus has been that this problem has been a combination of sub-standard wide receivers and a weak offensive line.

SUMMATION.... The Chiefs CAN win playoff games with Alex Smith at QB. The Chiefs CAN make the Super Bowl with Alex Smith at QB. The Chiefs CAN win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith at QB. WHY??? Because his VIRTUAL TWIN in stats has won 5 playoff games, made 2 Super Bowls and won one Super Bowl in the last 3 years.

ALEX NEEDS BETTER WIDE RECEIVERS AND A BETTER OFFENSIVE LINE. HAVE WE DONE ENOUGH IN THOSE TWO AREAS? I DON'T KNOW. BUT I DO KNOW THAT ALEX CAN TAKE US WHERE WE WANT TO GO IF WE WILL GIVE HIM THE TOOLS HE NEEDS.

doobs_05
07-31-2015, 05:19 PM
These Alex Smith threads usually annoy me, but I'm always willing to listen to a real Chiefs fan rather than some random Smith-hating troll.

So I had a little time on my hands and decided to see how one of the most successful QBs these last 3 years compares with Alex Smith.

I'm not saying this "proves" anything and I don't expect to change anybody's "opinion" but hey.....Wilson has 3 years in the NFL and he has a pretty impressive record. 5 playoff wins. 2 Super Bowl appearances. 1 Super Bowl win. NOBODY is going to say that is not impressive.....RIGHT??????

So Wilson must be HUGELY BETTER than Alex Smith.....RIGHT??????

LET'S LOOK AND SEE.....

I'm only going to compare 2013 and 2014 because Alex was with the 9ers in 2012 and only played 10 games that year...But for the Smith-haters, please be aware that Alex's per game numbers were pretty similar in the 10 games he played in 2012 to the 2 years he played in KC.

I'm not good at putting charts and graphs on bulletin boards like this but I'll do my best. Wilson is in black. Alex is in (red).

Attempts.....completions....% complete...yards.............avg completion....yds / game...TDs ......INT...sack.....

407-(508).....257-(308)....63.1%-(60.6)..3357-(3313).......8.2-(6.5)........209.8-(220.9)..26-(23)..9-(7).44-(33)

452-(464)...285-(303).....63.1-(65.3)....3475-(3265).......7.7-(7.0).......217.2-(217.7)...20-(17)..7-(6?).42-(45)

FULL DISCLOSURE......All above numbers are from nfl.com. There is a "?" after Alex's # of interceptions in 2014 because my memory is that he had 7 ints last year, not 6.

So what does all this tell us????.....

First off, there is ONLY one stat where Wilson is vastly better than Alex and that is yards per completion. But is anybody REALLY SURPRISED???? We all know our WRs SUCKED in 2014 and were nothing special in 2013. Reid-Dorsey seem to have taken steps to address that problem.

2cond.....Alex Smith's average completion % is ALMOST IDENTICAL to Wilson.

3rd.....Alex Smith averages MORE yards per game passing than Wilson. (remember, Alex only played 15 games per season these 2 years so while he had substantially fewer yards per season, his yards per GAME averaged more yards per game than Wilson....although only by 5.8 yards per game. Essentially, identical numbers.

4th....Alex averages 0.2 fewer touchdowns per game (1.2 FEWER POINTS PER GAME BY PASSING TOUCHDOWN) than Wilson. IS IT JUST POSSIBLE THAT THIS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH SECOND RATE WIDE RECEIVERS?????

5th.....Alex Smith averages fewer interceptions per season than Wilson. IS THAT A BAD THING????????? I don't think so.

6th....Alex Smith averages fewer sacks per season than Wilson. IS THAT A BAD THING??????? I don't think so.

CONCLUSION......Alex Smith over the last 2 years has been nearly identical to Russell Wilson (the most successful QB in the NFL those same two years in all stats EXCEPT yards per completion.)

The only nagging area where Alex is not almost a TWIN of Wilson (or slightly better) is yards per completion. And unless my memory has completely failed me I think this has been discussed here at some length and that the general consensus has been that this problem has been a combination of sub-standard wide receivers and a weak offensive line.

SUMMATION.... The Chiefs CAN win playoff games with Alex Smith at QB. The Chiefs CAN make the Super Bowl with Alex Smith at QB. The Chiefs CAN win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith at QB. WHY??? Because his VIRTUAL TWIN in stats has won 5 playoff games, made 2 Super Bowls and won one Super Bowl in the last 3 years.

ALEX NEEDS BETTER WIDE RECEIVERS AND A BETTER OFFENSIVE LINE. HAVE WE DONE ENOUGH IN THOSE TWO AREAS? I DON'T KNOW. BUT I DO KNOW THAT ALEX CAN TAKE US WHERE WE WANT TO GO IF WE WILL GIVE HIM THE TOOLS HE NEEDS.

Alex smith thread

Stevie ray with a rebuttal that 95% of the board hates

Then everyone's yells hater

Then we either fail this season and everyone blames everyone except Alex or they finally win a playoff game and people say "see told you we could win with Alex"

doobs_05
07-31-2015, 05:24 PM
Wilson and Alex are the same type of player, difference is that Wilson has a ring. The oline and wr core are not that far off from each other

ctchiefsfan
07-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Alex smith thread

Then everyone's yells hater

Then we either fail this season and everyone blames everyone except Alex or they finally win a playoff game and people say "see told you we could win with Alex"

Thanks for the reply doobs. Without a doubt, you have a valid point that results matter. THEY SURE AS HELL DO!!!

My original post was not to suggest that Alex is the "second coming of Christ". NOT MY INTENTION BY A LONGSHOT.

All I was doing was pointing out that in VERY RECENT HISTORY a QB with damned near identical numbers to Alex has achieved some pretty spectacular success. That DOES NOT PROVE that Alex Smith will do the same. Football is a team sport and that will never change. I mean honestly.....if Wilson's numbers and Alex's numbers are so close, where the hell can you look for a reason for failure other than the rest of the team????

But what the above numbers DOES show is that with the right team around him Alex *should* be able to achieve CONSIDERABLE SUCCESS.

The above numbers do PROVE BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT that the notion (believed my some) that you can't win a Super Bowl in the current NFL without a QB that puts up 4,500 passing yards per season is nothing more than a pile of steaming pig dung. And y'know...I DON'T EAT PIG SHIP.

ctchiefsfan
07-31-2015, 05:47 PM
Wilson and Alex are the same type of player, difference is that Wilson has a ring. The oline and wr core are not that far off from each other

So you agree that Alex and Wilson are similar. And the WRs and O-line are too. So what is your explanation for the variation in success? I am not being facetious. I'm honestly asking.

My *opinion* is that our O-line and WRs aren't quite there yet. If you have a different explanation I'd honestly like to hear your theory.

Almighty chief
07-31-2015, 05:49 PM
its about extending the play when the line gets flushed.. and the wr helping by finding a way to getting open ..Alex is a real good scrambler... always a fan of risk deep bombs, the worst is we could move the ball, might get defense pass interference, if its a pick it'd be like a punt. if your defense is good the reward will outweigh the risk. it'd give jc some space too. that's why cardinals and broncos were so successful last year and also some help from the refs.. they should fine the refs for messing up pivotal games or be able to challenge penalties.

doobs_05
07-31-2015, 06:15 PM
So you agree that Alex and Wilson are similar. And the WRs and O-line are too. So what is your explanation for the variation in success? I am not being facetious. I'm honestly asking.

My *opinion* is that our O-line and WRs aren't quite there yet. If you have a different explanation I'd honestly like to hear your theory.

Better team player as in spreads the ball around. WR get td reception (yes I understand it's not all Alex's fault, but he is throwing the passes) better rush defense. Marshawn and jamaal wash each other out they both do their running the best.

That's it. Russell has the ring, Alex doesn't. The both have the same average for air yards (so deep throws are out).

ctchiefsfan
07-31-2015, 06:28 PM
its about extending the play when the line gets flushed.. and the wr helping by finding a way to getting open ..Alex is a real good scrambler... always a fan of risk deep bombs, the worst is we could move the ball, might get defense pass interference, if its a pick it'd be like a punt. if your defense is good the reward will outweigh the risk. it'd give jc some space too. that's why cardinals and broncos were so successful last year and also some help from the refs.. they should fine the refs for messing up pivotal games or be able to challenge penalties.

EXCELLENT point about Alex's scrambling ability. IMO we have not taken advantage of it as we should--largely because our WRs did not know (or were too lazy) to know what to do when Alex broke out of a collapsing pocket. At that point the receivers need to immediately do whatever they can to get open and Alex needs to do whatever he can to extend the play long enough for somebody--ANYBODY to get open. Once a QB starts scrambling, many pass defenders will move towards the QB to prevent a long run by the QB. Both Alex and our receivers should be studying film from Roger Staubach and some of the other greats at scrambling. A scramble (as opposed to a designed rollout) is essentially a busted play and it becomes the job of every receiver to give the QB an open target and the job of the QB to give his receivers a few seconds to get open.

doobs_05
07-31-2015, 06:51 PM
And my day is ruined with the news about rowdy roddy piper

ctchiefsfan
07-31-2015, 06:58 PM
Better team player as in spreads the ball around. WR get td reception (yes I understand it's not all Alex's fault, but he is throwing the passes) better rush defense. Marshawn and jamaal wash each other out they both do their running the best.

That's it. Russell has the ring, Alex doesn't. The both have the same average for air yards (so deep throws are out).

So unless I have misunderstood your post, you agree that Alex is perfectly capable of winning some playoff games and a Super Bowl IF WE PUT THE RIGHT TEAM AROUND HIM. Have I got that right??? Just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding your post.

doobs_05
07-31-2015, 07:25 PM
So unless I have misunderstood your post, you agree that Alex is perfectly capable of winning some playoff games and a Super Bowl IF WE PUT THE RIGHT TEAM AROUND HIM. Have I got that right??? Just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding your post.

If dilfer can win one, why can't Alex, but that's A LOT of building around. Joe Namath won one and he's the most overrated qb ever.

Alex has already been on a winning team for a playoff game, so he can't would be false.

It just comes down for me is not seeing a playoff win 21 years but yet still following the same formula that has led us to the 21 years without a playoff win.

If Alex and the chiefs get a playoff win, but nothing else for 6 more years (couple playoff appearance) is that something we as fans should be proud about? The playoff win will be great but after that we would just be the Bengals.

Do I think Alex will get a super bowl with chiefs? Mind says No, but my heart and 8 year old self says yes. Could it happen? Yeah.

It's all opinions and once the seasons over we'll start this debate all over again. Anyone who isn't an Alex fan will be just excited as Alex supporters if they win the super bowl, doesn't make them less of a fan, imo

matthewschiefs
07-31-2015, 08:22 PM

Mine to :(

If dilfer can win one, why can't Alex, but that's A LOT of building around. Joe Namath won one and he's the most overrated qb ever.

Alex has already been on a winning team for a playoff game, so he can't would be false.

It just comes down for me is not seeing a playoff win 21 years but yet still following the same formula that has led us to the 21 years without a playoff win.

If Alex and the chiefs get a playoff win, but nothing else for 6 more years (couple playoff appearance) is that something we as fans should be proud about? The playoff win will be great but after that we would just be the Bengals.

Do I think Alex will get a super bowl with chiefs? Mind says No, but my heart and 8 year old self says yes. Could it happen? Yeah.

It's all opinions and once the seasons over we'll start this debate all over again. Anyone who isn't an Alex fan will be just excited as Alex supporters if they win the super bowl, doesn't make them less of a fan, imo

Pretty much agree with most your post.

Right now I would kill to have JUST 1 FREAKING PLAYOFF WIN. JUST 1 after I get that you're damn right I will want anther but it starts with getting the 1.

About the last part. Those who I've refered to as Smith haters Please no I don't think they are less of a Chiefs fans. I just think that since they did not approve of Smith as the QB he will always be the scapegoat. I do back to after the 2013 playoff loss (the most painful one of them all for me) Many wanted Bob Sutton gone. I said I can't blame him for the problems this team has had before he got to KC. It's just not my outlook for QB it's my view overall. And I feel the same way about Alex. Most the problems we have seen have been problems LONG before Alex was in KC. So how can I blame him for that? It's not a personal like for Alex. It's just how I look at things. I'm never going to tell you the line "alex seems like a good guy" For all I no after a game he goes home kicks his dog beats his wife or does one of the many other things athletes do these days that is far far to common. But I'm also not going to make him the scapegoat and will continue to stick up for him or any other QB when I feel that's what's being done. I also as I've done with Alex am willing to call him out on things he needs to be called on Like this

Regarding the Wilson thing. I think a large difference is Wilson is a bit better of picking and choseing when he's going to take risk. One think That I do agree with Alex Smith critics is that Alex can play it to safe and that can hurt at times. Wilson seems to be a tad more willing to take a gamble here or there and those can be the key plays in the game at time. I hope Reid can break Alex of it. But to me that's just something Wilson has done better

brdempsey69
07-31-2015, 09:12 PM
^^Matt, as for Alex "taking more risks", you know full well if risk-taking leads to the Chiefs losing a post-season game in the manner that the Hawks lost the last SB, then Alex will get crucified by Chiefs fans, whereas Hawks fans are much more forgiving towards Wilson.

doobs_05
07-31-2015, 09:22 PM
^^Matt, as for Alex "taking more risks", you know full well if risk-taking leads to the Chiefs losing a post-season game in the manner that the Hawks lost the last SB, then Alex will get crucified by Chiefs fans, whereas Hawks fans are much more forgiving towards Wilson.

Thought it was dumb at first (SB play), but after thinking about it, Pats were ready for a run, Lynch isn't money with yard to gain or to get one 1 yard TD. They've done that play before with success. NE DB just made a very good play. I also think Reid or the OC would get more flack than alex (just like the HC or OC did over wlison after the super bowl).

matthewschiefs
07-31-2015, 09:24 PM

Don't get me wrong I don't want him getting Careless at all. But I do think he can turn up the aggression a bit. I think it would be helpful to the offense. But I would agree I don't want him just taking chances to say he took a chance

doobs_05
07-31-2015, 09:32 PM
Regarding the Wilson thing. I think a large difference is Wilson is a bit better of picking and choseing when he's going to take risk. One think That I do agree with Alex Smith critics is that Alex can play it to safe and that can hurt at times. Wilson seems to be a tad more willing to take a gamble here or there and those can be the key plays in the game at time. I hope Reid can break Alex of it. But to me that's just something Wilson has done better

A game i can look at and ask would Alex do the same is the past NFC championship game. Wilson was picked 4 times and i think he was picked off evertime he threw to ...kearse? He went to kearse for a 5th time to win the game. Do you think Alex would make that decision or would the coaches allow him to make that decision

but maybe alex doesn't allow 4 INTs to happen.

ctchiefsfan
07-31-2015, 10:44 PM
If dilfer can win one, why can't Alex

COULDN'T AGREE MORE! After all Dilfer's % completion average was 55%. 20% WORSE than Alex. He NEVER exceeded 59.8% in a season. He NEVER exceeded 2,900 yards in a season. He never exceeded 21 TDs in a season. He averaged 9 TDs per season and 1.15 TDs per game. He averaged 9.2 INTs per season and 1 INT per game. Career-wide Dilfer averaged 6.5 yards per completion. His best year was 8.3 yards per completion and he NEVER had another year where he averaged over 7.1 yards per completion. His BEST year he averaged 211 yards per game and in 14 years NEVER had another year where he exceeded 197 average yards per game. His average was UNDER 160 yards per game. So yeah...If Dilfer can win a Super Bowl so can Alex. But look at the numbers. Dilfer makes Alex look like the second coming of Joe Montana. Dilfer sucked dong and did throughout his career. His very best 16 game season he averaged less than 179 yards per game. THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO.

So Alex didn't win a playoff game in just 2 years with the chiefs so he is not good enough....Is that it? You have a very short attention span.

Fair enough. But do you have a crystal ball? Mine is broken. I don't even know if Alex will break the curse. He's done pretty good so far and I think he deserves our support until he PROVES he is just Trent Dilfer....which all stats show he isn't.

OF COURSE. The "odds" are against his winning us a Super Bowl. But y'know, Manning hasn't nothched any Super Bowl wins with the Donkeys either. Do you think he would have here in KC????? I don't.

It's all opinions and once the seasons over we'll start this debate all over again.

That goes without saying. Arguing about QBs may be the second oldest profession. All things considered, I prefer the older one. At least I get some benefit from that one.

Anyone who isn't an Alex fan will be just excited as Alex supporters if they win the super bowl, doesn't make them less of a fan, imo

Actually, IMO there are some people kicking around that are more wrapped up in the idea that Alex sucks than they actually care about the Chiefs. But that is just my opinion and I don't include you amongst them.

doobs_05
07-31-2015, 11:23 PM
COULDN'T AGREE MORE! After all Dilfer's % completion average was 55%. 20% WORSE than Alex. He NEVER exceeded 59.8% in a season. He NEVER exceeded 2,900 yards in a season. He never exceeded 21 TDs in a season. He averaged 9 TDs per season and 1.15 TDs per game. He averaged 9.2 INTs per season and 1 INT per game. Career-wide Dilfer averaged 6.5 yards per completion. His best year was 8.3 yards per completion and he NEVER had another year where he averaged over 7.1 yards per completion. His BEST year he averaged 211 yards per game and in 14 years NEVER had another year where he exceeded 197 average yards per game. His average was UNDER 160 yards per game. So yeah...If Dilfer can win a Super Bowl so can Alex. But look at the numbers. Dilfer makes Alex look like the second coming of Joe Montana. Dilfer sucked dong and did throughout his career. His very best 16 game season he averaged less than 179 yards per game. THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO.

It was more about that you'd have to build a great defense around Alex to win and that If Dilfer can win, A lot QBs can win because he may be the worse QB to win a SB. Alex is probably better than Dilfer, Namath, the dude who was the QB for the Bucs, Jim Mcmahon, and probably Terry Bradshaw.

So Alex didn't win a playoff game in just 2 years with the chiefs so he is not good enough....Is that it? You have a very short attention span.

? Not really sure where this came from sounds very mean spirited. past 21 years we got 1 QB from the draft to try on offense and that was Brodie Croyle. Trent green was getting old and injuries and we really didn't have a back up plan, just had another FA signed in Huard and put him in. Then we drafted a QB in the 3rd round (brodie Croyle) then signed more FA. Murray is HOPEFULLY next in line and can jump and lead the team.

Alex is the QB and there is nothing else i can do to change that. But could you imagine this place with just a circlejerk mentality? The chiefs subreddit is like that (because they can downvote other posters with unpopular opinions) and it is just terrible.

Fair enough. But do you have a crystal ball? Mine is broken. I don't even know if Alex will break the curse. He's done pretty good so far and I think he deserves our support until he PROVES he is just Trent Dilfer....which all stats show he isn't.

Oh i have one but it only predicts the past :) I support the Chiefs, i may not like how they went about getting it done, but they got it done. I show up to a local bar and get the chiefs on tv and support the team. The Trent Dilfer statement was more of a "if this guy can win a super bowl, a majority of QBs can win" Trent Needed a defense that was AMAZING to help him win, Alex needs a great Defense to help him out, Alex won't win you games but he isn't going to lose em for you.

OF COURSE. The "odds" are against his winning us a Super Bowl. But y'know, Manning hasn't nothched any Super Bowl wins with the Donkeys either. Do you think he would have here in KC????? I don't.

Manning on Broncos - People said super bowl or bust
If manning was on the chiefs it would be "can he finally give them that playoff win" it would be two different goals (AFC title and then Super bowl would be the next goals if the playoff win happen)

That goes without saying. Arguing about QBs may be the second oldest profession. All things considered, I prefer the older one. At least I get some benefit from that one.

If it works people will say i told you so, if it doesn't work people will say i told you so.

Actually, IMO there are some people kicking around that are more wrapped up in the idea that Alex sucks than they actually care about the Chiefs. But that is just my opinion an.d I don't include you amongst them

Stevie Ray and MMO/H don't hate the QBs, they hate how the FO is moving forward, they rather see drafting a QB and build around him and groom him, they've seen the years of just FA over and over. You either get Montana and 4 super bowls or you get Cleveland Browns and you have 20 QBs coming in and out. You win by having the best qb or stopping the qb.

But again that is your opinion.

ctchiefsfan
07-31-2015, 11:34 PM
? Not really sure where this came from sounds very mean spirited.

You're right. I was feeling ornery and I apologize.

doobs_05
07-31-2015, 11:36 PM
You're right. I was feeling ornery and I apologize.

It's okay, we cool

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1298033/chefdance_medium.gif

Almighty chief
08-01-2015, 02:44 PM

damn he was a great and i too was a fan. r.i.p hot rod.

Stevie Ray
08-02-2015, 07:37 AM

There's no difference. Anybody that doesn't think Smith is good enough is just a hater no matter what.

I doubt that anybody actually hates the guy, but when you get into discussions about him .....the apologists has to paint the naysayer as unreasonable. It helps them to dismiss the factual data that's coming from the other side.

Makes 'em feel better about the Chiefs' chances, I guess.

Stevie Ray
08-02-2015, 08:44 AM

Because those people don't want a real conversation about Alex Smith. They just wanna hear, "The Chiefs are just fine with Alex Smith as their QB."

ctchiefsfan
08-02-2015, 02:46 PM
There's no difference. Anybody that doesn't think Smith is good enough is just a hater no matter what.

I doubt that anybody actually hates the guy, but when you get into discussions about him .....the apologists has to paint the naysayer as unreasonable. It helps them to dismiss the factual data that's coming from the other side.

Makes 'em feel better about the Chiefs' chances, I guess.

I worked very late last night so I am just having my coffee now so perhaps I don't understand your post.

Are you saying that Smith and Wilson seem to be pretty much cut from the same cloth and that with Smith at QB the Chiefs could achieve substantial success if he had the right team around him? Did I get that right or should I have had another cup of coffee before reading this?

ctchiefsfan
08-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Because those people don't want a real conversation about Alex Smith. They just wanna hear, "The Chiefs are just fine with Alex Smith as their QB."

There is not a man on this board that doesn't wish we had a better QB than Alex. Not a one. But we haven't had the opportunity to get a better QB than Alex in the years he has been here. There hasn't been a better one available in the draft or by trade or FA. That's just a fact.

So we Chiefs fans do the only sensible thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5IVuN1N6-Y

And if all we have is a QB whose stats are almost identical to the most successful QB of the last 3 years than that isn't doing all that bad.

brdempsey69
08-02-2015, 03:43 PM
^^Everybody is fully aware that there is room for improvement regarding Alex Smith. By the same token, when he's gotten the chance in the post-season, he has elevated his game & surpassed guys like Len Dawson, Joe Montana, and Trent Green. When you have QB that takes his game to another level in the post-season, then you don't worry about the fantasy football stats during the regular season. It's really pointless.

ctchiefsfan
08-02-2015, 04:23 PM
SO RIGHT DEMPS! I might quibble with you as to whether Alex ups his game in the playoffs as much as Montana, but there is no doubt that Alex substantially ups his game in the playoffs. Some people fold under that kind of pressure. Others thrive on that pressure. Alex had one of his best statistical games in that hideous game against the Colts and most of those numbers came in the first 35 minutes. Without the injuries and conservative play calling after our lead got to 28 points, Alex would probably have gotten close to 500 yards in the game.

If we get him to the playoffs again with a halfway healthy team he will break the curse.

brdempsey69
08-02-2015, 04:40 PM
^^Actually he surpassed Montana statistically as a Chiefs QB, but of course, nobody has ever equaled Joe's clutch touch in the post-season.

slc chief
08-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Reports from camp are that smith has hit a few very nice deep throws. That is a good sign. hopefully he can get fine tuned with his receivers and this becomes a small part of our offense.

ctchiefsfan
08-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Reports from camp are that smith has hit a few very nice deep throws. That is a good sign. hopefully he can get fine tuned with his receivers and this becomes a small part of our offense.

Alex can be a very good QB. But to do that he needs an outstanding O-line and some hotshot receivers. If we give him those the term "game manager" will be forgotten. He is not Montana, Brady etc but he can be a pretty damned good QB.

Stevie Ray
08-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Are you saying that Smith and Wilson seem to be pretty much cut from the same cloth and that with Smith at QB the Chiefs could achieve substantial success if he had the right team around him? Did I get that right or should I have had another cup of coffee before reading this?

No, I'm saying that ....... in the view of the apologist ..... there is no difference between a "real Chiefs fan" that doesn't think Smith is good enough, and a "Smith-hating troll" ......... these people are the same. Why? because the apologist simply doesn't like the fact that the Chiefs' chances for success are being doubted, and/or the skills of their QB is being called into question.

Stevie Ray
08-03-2015, 06:44 PM
But we haven't had the opportunity to get a better QB than Alex in the years he has been here. There hasn't been a better one available in the draft or by trade or FA. That's just a fact.

Look up the definition of the term, "fact" .......

This is your opinion; an uninformed one at that -- because you have no idea what opportunities the Chiefs may or may not have had. It's also your opinion that no available QB was better than Smith.

Even in granting the premise that there were no better QBs available, it has no bearing on the conversation about how good Smith is or isn't. That is the particular conversation that I was referring to when I said, "Because those people don't want a real conversation about Alex Smith. They just wanna hear, "The Chiefs are just fine with Alex Smith as their QB."

And if all we have is a QB whose stats are almost identical to the most successful QB of the last 3 years than that isn't doing all that bad.[/QUOTE]

Stevie Ray
08-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Alex can be a very good QB.

What is this opinion based on? Is it based on what your standard is for a "very good QB" ..... or is it based on what you hope Smith will one day prove?

If it's the former, then I call your standard into question. If it's the latter, well ......... keep hope alive. Perhaps you were just using the description loosely, and if so, forgive me for taking it so literally.

By my standard (and I'd even claim it to be the general standard of the masses), "very good QBs" in today's game routinely throw for 4,000(+) yds, 30(+) TDs (ballpark figures for regular season) and lead their teams to post-season success. Alex Smith, over a 10 year career, has yet to meet that standard. IMO, we should at least wait until he does before we opine that he "CAN BE a very good QB."

If you don't accept that standard, then please name for the other QBs in today's NFL that you would label "very good QB" ..... who have career numbers that aren't better than Smith's (3,313 yds, 23 TDs).

Again, it's just a conversation. Is it in you to set your bias aside and approach it in good faith and intellectual honesty?

Stevie Ray
08-03-2015, 07:22 PM

Right, you can love the one you're with while at the same time be honest and objective about who they are.

doobs_05
08-06-2015, 12:12 AM
http://nflbreakdowns.com/alex-smiths-6-interceptions-in-2014/

guy on r/NFL has been doing these for a few QBs, just got to Alex

ctchiefsfan
08-06-2015, 11:52 AM
http://nflbreakdowns.com/alex-smiths-6-interceptions-in-2014/

guy on r/NFL has been doing these for a few QBs, just got to Alex

An interesting and comparatively fair article. 6 ints, at least 2 of which were pretty much just plain lousy luck. I'm also of the opinion that at least 2 more should have been broken up by the receiver. The fact that 50% if the ints were to Avery has to make you wonder about Avery. I'm not placing all the blame on Avery, but the fact that he was the intended receiver on 3 times as many ints as any other receiver does make you wonder if Avery wasn't more at fault than one would normally expect. Which may be part of the reason he is no longer a Chief.

doobs_05
08-06-2015, 12:07 PM
An interesting and comparatively fair article. 6 ints, at least 2 of which were pretty much just plain lousy luck. I'm also of the opinion that at least 2 more should have been broken up by the receiver. The fact that 50% if the ints were to Avery has to make you wonder about Avery. I'm not placing all the blame on Avery, but the fact that he was the intended receiver on 3 times as many ints as any other receiver does make you wonder if Avery wasn't more at fault than one would normally expect. Which may be part of the reason he is no longer a Chief.I'd have to look at it again. Could be the distance of the throw (majority of the INTs came from the longer throws). He should have the Alex smith TD passes up already or they'll come up later today, will post when it is up.

ctchiefsfan
08-06-2015, 12:28 PM
I'd have to look at it again. Could be the distance of the throw (majority of the INTs came from the longer throws). He should have the Alex smith TD passes up already or they'll come up later today, will post when it is up.

Not saying for a minute that some of the blame doesn't lye with Alex. The QB always gets some portion of the blame for an int. But the two ints on tipped balls are more lousy luck than Alex's fault. And I'm not saying that the fact that Avery was the target on 50% of the ints absolved Alex of blame. But by the same token it's a coincidence that is hard to ignore. Sometimes a coincidence like that is nothing more than a coincidence. But other times it points to a problem.