PDA

View Full Version : Pats Fan Here

hang3xc
01-16-2016, 01:14 PM
Hey guys,

Last time our teams met you made Brady look like he should retire, immediately! I hope today is not a repeat of that. That was UGLY... but it became a turning point and I'd say things turned out pretty good with the Pats winning it all in the end!

Anyway

I thought it might be good to hear how some honest assessment of our teams. I ask this because I am not familiar with KC and if you could fill me in on some of your weaknesses and strengths. That would be awesome. I've read up on KC, but nobody knows them like the fans

The Pats could certainly lose this one because our O line just hasn't done even remotely well this year. In the beginning they were switching guys around, looking for the best fit, but it doesn't seem they ever found one. It hasn't been unusual THIS year to see defenders hitting the RB at the same instant he is trying to receive the handoff, this is especially ugly on play action fakes. Even before any injuries to lineman, the O line was not a force.

Because Brady had Gronk, Edelman, and the new guy Dion Lewis, it masked the problem to a degree and the Pats got off to a GREAT start regardless.

Then we lost Lewis

Then Edelman

BB's magical "next guy up" didn't happen this time around and the Pats lost 4 of their last 6

Now Edelman is back, but hasn't played in 2 months. Gronk is hurt. This s not being overstated. He is legitimately questionable... in a way. He will play, (I think) but it is questionable if he will be very effective. Great as he is when healthy, he rarely stays healthy into the playoffs.

LaFell hasn't done ANYTHING in QUITE awhile... except drop most anything thrown his way. In fact, I don't think he has a single TD this entire season! I doubt he'll be back next year unless he steps up big in these playoffs, which he DID do last year. Man he had a beauty of a TD vs the Ravens... though TB laid it RIGHT into the crook of his arm in stride

Keyshawn Martin hasn't done much, but he could step up if too much attention is paid to everyone else. He seems decent as a 3rd or 4th option. Not so much as a 1st or 2nd

Amendola was spectacular in the playoffs last year. THe best he has ever been as a Pat. THis year though he is hurt, like everyone else, so who knows how he'll play

So receivers in review:
Gronk, hurt, nowhere near 100%.
Amendola, same
Edelman, probably 75% running routes, but are his hands ready or rusty. Could re-injure foot early and just end all hopes of a Pats win
LaFell, cant seem to catch anything on the rare instance he gets free and TB tosses one his way
Martin, healthy, reliable, dead last on depth chart

TB also has an ankle injury, but he is never a threat to run anyway, so it doesn't matter. He could shotgun all day if he had to. He DID show a LOT more movement earlier this year though, and it was very exciting to watch. It added a whole new level to his play. We won't see any of that today.

As for the running game. The Pats DON'T HAVE ONE. We have that awful line and a 32 year old dude who just came in fresh off his couch.

In defense, Hightower is hurt. Another knee injury. He is HUUUUGE at stopping the run. This cannot be overstated. The Pats were doing very well vs Broncos until he went down. With him in the game Denver ran 15 times for 43 yards, less than 3 yds carry. Without him they ran 17 time for 136 yards and THREE TD's... almost 8.5 yds carry!

If he cannot go full strength or leaves the game at any point, it could very well be game over, particularly if you/KC have the lead and the Pats offense is not clicking

The rest of the D should be OK health wise even if some are coming back from injury.

This is the worst I have ever felt going into the post season. The Pats COULD come out, play like they never missed a beat, and win this game... or they could lay an egg, at home, on national TV.

I have no idea and I doubt anybody else really does either, regardless of what they say. I do know that with Brady, you always have a chance, even late in the game when all hope seems lost. Hopefully it doesn't come down to that

BTW, nice win last week. Obviously a game you SHOULD have won, but scoring 30 and allowing zero was really just showing off a bit (LOL)

Sooooo,

What can you guys give me?

Thanks

TopekaRoy
01-16-2016, 01:57 PM
Welcome to ChiefsCrowd, Hang!

I wish you had posted this earlier. You probably won't get a lot of response with only 4 hours 'til game time. Your best bet is just to look around the forum and see what we are saying about the Chiefs in other threads.

I don't expect the Chiefs to dismantle your Pats like they did last year, but I do think they have a good chance of winning. The Wet rainy conditions favor the running game and that favors the Chiefs. The key will be for the Chiefs offense to stay on the field and dominate time of possession. If we do that, we keep our defense fresh and keep the Pats from being able to score (other than a pick 6).

This game, like most games will probably come down to turnovers. Whoever wins that battle will probably win the game.

If both teams were completely healthy I would have to give the edge to the Pats, but they are not. We are also missing some key players and several of our stars (Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, Jeremy Maclin) are "questionable." But the Chiefs have so much depth and have done very well with players-you've-never-heard-of stepping in and getting the job done.

We lost our star running back (Jamaal Charles) and may be without our best WR (Maclin) today. Ironically, the Chiefs may make it to the Super Bowl, this year, only because they are healthier than their AFC opponents.

I expect a sloppy, low scoring game with players having trouble hanging on to wet footballs.

KCMASS
01-16-2016, 02:23 PM
I live in Massachusetts. 100% Chiefs fan. Yesterday was terrible with rain from 2:00 PM on through the night. Woke-up & it was dark & gloomy with more rain. Then around 10:30 AM we started getting some snow. Not bad....Maybe an 1.5" worth. I had an offer for two tickets & I said "No Way" I'm to old for this weather.

Too be honest, I'll give our Chiefs a 25%-40% chance of winning. The weather really won't be an issue now. The field was covered, it will be mid/low 30's & they have home field. As for the injuries...We both have them. It's going to be tough. As you mentioned Roy...It's turnovers & holding the OL & of course the defense. If we win (big if) This will be only the 2nd game that I remember us winning past the 2nd round. I do remember the Miami/Chiefs game of but I was 6 years old. Best of luck to us!

ctchiefsfan
01-16-2016, 02:42 PM
Hey Pats fan...Thanks for stopping in. New England area Chiefs fan here. Maybe 2 1/2 hours down the road from Foxboro.

A lot of guys here that know more about football than I, but I'll give you my outlook as a 45+ year Chiefs fan.

Who knows what injury reports are accurate? I surely don't. But one thing is certain...our rushing game is way better than yours. Even with Jamaal Charles out. Our O-line has--like yours--been cobbled together this year. They run block VERY WELL. They are not as good at protecting Alex Smith. Advantage Chiefs.

Alex Smith is a very good quarterback. But he is NOT Tom Brady. But Alex does have an advantage over Brady in being able and willing to use his legs to make plays. Call him "a poor man's Roger Staubach". But that only works if the passing game is a real threat. Unless Andy Reid has completely fooled me Jeremy Maclin is going to be hobbled at best. He is far and away our best pass catcher. Advantage Patriots.

Our pass rushing is the best in the NFL--when they are healthy. Justin Houston is nowhere near 100% and Tamba Hali is limited because of his broken thumb. His hand is a club. So he is nowhere near 100%. But everybody on the Chiefs defense LOVES to get after the QB. Advantage Chiefs. But not by what it would be if we were healthy.

Secondary...Yours is good, ours is better and we are pretty much 100% there. Advantage Chiefs.

Special Teams....You have a more reliable and experienced kicker. We have a better punter. I call Special Teams pretty even.

So it looks like a fairly even matchup so we have to look at "intangibles".

Your Patriots are damned near unbeatable at home in the playoffs. Advantage Pats.

Our Chiefs are on a WILD HIGH riding an 11 game unbeaten streak and having finally broken the 22 year curse. Simply put, they are ON A MISSION. Advantage Chiefs.

Your Pats have Tom Brady...at the very least one of the best of all time. Advantage Patriots.

All in all I think that if both teams were 100% we'd beat your Pats. But neither team is at 100%. So here is my scoop. If either team can get an early 10 point lead then that team wins. Though your Pats have a better chance of overcoming an early deficit. Your Pats are favored as well they should be. But this is without a doubt a game the Chiefs can win. This game could be a blowout by either side or it could be a nailbiter.

FINAL SUMMARY......These are the 2 best teams in the AFC--right now. Todays game is the REAL AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

jason1981
01-16-2016, 03:02 PM
My sons teams is the pats and his favorite player is tom brady. So its will be bitter sweet if chiefs win. I like the pats as well but just cant root against the chiefs.

chiefsfan35hey
01-16-2016, 03:13 PM
Welcome pats fan. Weather not a factor rain has stopped. All week analysts here have one big ? Which Patriot team will show up ? How healthy are gronk and edelmam ? In these games it is sometimes the players who aren't the stars who will make plays for pats Martin chandler for us guys like ware etc . Third we have a great secondary but if we press and bump we need a rush toake brady uncomfortable . I sense pats fans are very nervous and the longer the Chiefs hang the more pressure on the pats. Special teams and field position will be huge today. Chiefs crowd I won't be satisfied with anything but a win because it is our time. ? Offensive line for pats must block Houston and "t" and pats have not run the ball in weeks. Alex Smith erases the image that he is only a game manager but a proven playoff quarterback with poise and legs setting pats have trouble with. 312 attempts without an interception. Living in pats land I respect them but this week has not been a typical week for the patriots despite having two weeks to prepare .

hang3xc
01-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Not a LOT of responses, but excellent ones. I didn't know if I'd get a lot of hatred or not. THankfully not.

Thanks so much for a few HONEST responses without any puffing the chests out spouting nonsense.

A few things I have heard around here re KC is their depth is awesome. Turnover differential is off the charts, but on the negative, not a good ability to overcome much of a deficit. Much better at holding a lead

We shall see. Hopefully the teams play well & nobody gets hurt. I certainly hope the Pats win, but if they don't, then I TRULY hope you knock the snot out of Denver and go all the way.

Take care guys

CtCHiefsFan says: "our rushing game is way better than yours"

LOL. Understatement of the season! We don't HAVE a rushing game, at all, even before Blount went out. Hopefully they'll pull the tarp, the field will be dry. THe temp not too cold. SHould be near perfect football weather. Pats seriously need a heailthy Hightower to have much of a chance at stopping the run

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't assume Denver advances, but wit Ben hurt and Brown out....

ctchiefsfan
01-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Not a LOT of responses, but excellent ones. I didn't know if I'd get a lot of hatred or not. THankfully not.

Thanks so much for a few HONEST responses without any puffing the chests out spouting nonsense.

We're Chiefs fans. We don't do that silly stuff

A few things I have heard around here re KC is their depth is awesome. Turnover differential is off the charts, but on the negative, not a good ability to overcome much of a deficit. Much better at holding a lead

All true. We can come from behind...especially if you are talking 7 or maybe 10 points with a full quarter to do it, but it's far from what we do best. Our offense is not one that puts up dazzling amounts of points in just a few minutes.

We shall see. Hopefully the teams play well & nobody gets hurt. I certainly hope the Pats win, but if they don't, then I TRULY hope you knock the snot out of Denver and go all the way.

You just made a bunch of friends here. Most folks here hate Denver as much as I hate the Raiders.

Take care guys

CtCHiefsFan says: "our rushing game is way better than yours"

LOL. Understatement of the season! We don't HAVE a rushing game, at all, even before Blount went out. Hopefully they'll pull the tarp, the field will be dry. THe temp not too cold. SHould be near perfect football weather. Pats seriously need a heailthy Hightower to have much of a chance at stopping the run

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't assume Denver advances, but wit Ben hurt and Brown out....

I won't wish you good luck today but if our Chiefs aren't able to pull it out today then I would rather see the Pats in the Super Bowl than any other team left in the hunt.

Enjoy the game! I think it is going to be a good one.

Oh....And if you get the chance, stop in our game day thread a few times during the game. Just be nice if we are behind.