PDA

View Full Version : new rule change...

NickheadKCAU
03-29-2016, 03:06 AM
in my opinion...

upon the snap, if the quarterback mishandles the ball, and it drops to the side, or in front of, the ball should be ruled dead.

my reasoning is this: a fumbled snap is a forward pass, unless it goes behind him, then its a lateral. even if the qb does not touch it, the center then becomes the cause of the lateral.

im watching a highlight vid of the chiefs last season, and on two occasions (in the video), the opposing qb, drops the ball. (at this point, the defense reacts as a fumble), including the secondary. which pulls them in, and the receivers are open.

now, if the ball goes to the backside of the qb, its still live.

whatcha think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCt1r-EeV-w

NickheadKCAU
03-29-2016, 03:22 AM
OR...

if you dont like that, then a fumbled snap (balls hits ground) cannot be passed, but is still a live ball.

Seek
03-29-2016, 08:39 AM
Its only a pass if the arm is going forward with an attempt to throw it. Teams fumble he ball forwards all the time. With the rule change, a forward fumble by a running back would also be a pass. I think the rule is fine as it is. The defense still needs to maintain discipline end of story.

ctchiefsfan
03-29-2016, 12:43 PM
NickheadKCAU....

I'm usually not a fan of rule changes and this is no exception. But thanks for posting the vid. I never get tired of watching vids of this past season.

NickheadKCAU
03-30-2016, 01:48 AM
then a dropped snap is a fumble regardless, and the ball cannot be passed?

:D

jap1
03-30-2016, 02:46 AM
Fumbling has no affect on passing the ball that I am aware of. I'm fairly sure there are instances of someone fumbling then picking it up and completing a pass.

NickheadKCAU
03-30-2016, 03:22 AM
please note, i am only speaking if a snap is 'fumbled' forward, or sideways. like when a college player catches a pass, falls to the ground without being hit, is down.

NickheadKCAU
03-30-2016, 03:24 AM
i say this in jest:

quit ****ing sticking up for the ****ing pre madonna offenses...

give the defense a rule here and there to aide THEM.

ctchiefsfan
03-30-2016, 01:01 PM
i say this in jest:

quit ****ing sticking up for the ****ing pre madonna offenses...

give the defense a rule here and there to aide THEM.

That is an attitude I can agree with. But I still think that the current rule does that. A fumbled snap gives the Defense the opportunity to create a turnover. And we all know turnovers can be back-breakers. I just don't think either of your proposed rule changes is a good idea. But then, I'm getting old and kind of set in my ways. Not partial to rule changes in my favorite sport.

No offense intended NickheadKCAU. Just the way I feel.

NickheadKCAU
03-30-2016, 03:07 PM
none taken, just bored and goofin

ctchiefsfan
03-30-2016, 05:49 PM
none taken, just bored and goofin

Know the feeling.