PDA

View Full Version : Webnews: Kyle Turley’s leading 30 former players in study of medi

Coach
04-14-2016, 07:32 AM
By Darin Gantt (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/14/kyle-turleys-leading-30-former-players-in-study-of-medical-marijuana/)http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/1385446.jpg?w=200&h=170&crop=1
Rounding up 30 NFL players to smoke some weed probably wouldn’t be that difficult an endeavor, and you’d likely get Snoop Dogg to show up. But this time, it’s in the interest of science. According to Abby Haglage of the Daily Beast, a group led by former Saints, Rams and Chiefs tackle Kyle Turley is…
Read more… (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/14/kyle-turleys-leading-30-former-players-in-study-of-medical-marijuana/)

Seek
04-14-2016, 09:30 AM
So how much of this depression and suicidal thoughts is really related to CTC or maybe the fact these players realize that they had great lives playing a fun game their entire life, and the real world that most of us live in. Can't compare to that, so when they retire they have a gapping hole of excitement adrenaline and youth missing.

NickheadKCAU
04-14-2016, 05:21 PM
so when someone tears an acl, its phantom pain in their knees 30 years later?

ctchiefsfan
04-14-2016, 07:24 PM
So how much of this depression and suicidal thoughts is really related to CTC or maybe the fact these players realize that they had great lives playing a fun game their entire life, and the real world that most of us live in. Can't compare to that, so when they retire they have a gapping hole of excitement adrenaline and youth missing.

There you have it Sir! You go from what has to be one of the highest highs there is--way higher than coke or heroin or meth or anything else--you are a NFL player for Christs sake! And then you aren't. That is a tough damned boat to row. Depression out the ash. Especially for the "stars".

Everybody wants to get "high" one way or the other. High is good. I've had jobs that made me high. WAY HIGH. White House pass around my neck. Signed pic shaking hands with the President. Yeah.....that will get you high. Then it's all gone and you battle that depression for the rest of your life. Or anyway, I do. Just the truth.

As for pot (mentioned in the linked article)....smoked a boatload of it in college 40 years ago. Just being a college kid. Twice a year I get together with old college buddies and smoke it again. It's legal in many states now. NFL players should NOT smoke it. It is against NFL rules and no sane person jeopardizes that kind of career for pot. That would be STUPID and NFL players aren't supposed to be STUPID.

But if retired NFL players want "marijuana therapy" to help them adjust to the "regular guy world" then who really gives a damn?

NickheadKCAU
04-14-2016, 08:50 PM
obviously smoking pot didnt make you any smarter...

it beats the hell out of getting cortizone injections or having to take addictive pain meds.

sure, players run the risk of getting caught, but that is the nfl's policy failures.

it should be more accessible than any pharmaceutical on the market.

including baby aspirin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSKTFe0Sg10

NickheadKCAU
04-14-2016, 09:17 PM
i should add, its not just bad nfl policy, its bad policy for america as a whole.

its sad a plant that has never killed anyone, let alone has the ability to help not only the medical industry, but the clothing industry, the oil industry.... oh yeah thats right, nevermind, ive forgotten why it was illegal in the first place.

ctchiefsfan
04-19-2016, 11:14 AM
NickheadKCAU....

I think you missed my point. I said NFL players should not use it because it puts their career in jeopardy. I did not address in ANY WAY if that NFL policy was sensible or not. I think NFL policy should allow players to use the stuff up to say 24-36 hours before a game. But given current NFL policy I think it's very stupid for a player to use the stuff until he's out of the game.

Eydugstr
04-19-2016, 10:00 PM
There you have it Sir! You go from what has to be one of the highest highs there is--way higher than coke or heroin or meth or anything else--you are a NFL player for Christs sake! And then you aren't. That is a tough damned boat to row. Depression out the ash. Especially for the "stars".

Everybody wants to get "high" one way or the other. High is good. I've had jobs that made me high. WAY HIGH. White House pass around my neck. Signed pic shaking hands with the President. Yeah.....that will get you high. Then it's all gone and you battle that depression for the rest of your life. Or anyway, I do. Just the truth.

As for pot (mentioned in the linked article)....smoked a boatload of it in college 40 years ago. Just being a college kid. Twice a year I get together with old college buddies and smoke it again. It's legal in many states now. NFL players should NOT smoke it. It is against NFL rules and no sane person jeopardizes that kind of career for pot. That would be STUPID and NFL players aren't supposed to be STUPID.

But if retired NFL players want "marijuana therapy" to help them adjust to the "regular guy world" then who really gives a damn?

The only issue I have with medical MJ is people smoking it and getting behind the wheel. This goes for all walks of life.

As far as whether or not it will help concussion related head injuries from being in the NFL, not sure of the connection, but many people with glacoma swear up and down by it. So I can't see where a study would hurt. It's not like it's going to stop them from smoking it if the judge said "no", so why not chart it and clinically see if it's doing anything one way or another?

JPPT1974
04-20-2016, 02:46 AM
Glad he is doing something good with his life. And really glad he is thriving. Good for him and others that will learn from it.

ctchiefsfan
04-20-2016, 04:52 AM
The only issue I have with medical MJ is people smoking it and getting behind the wheel. This goes for all walks of life.

As far as whether or not it will help concussion related head injuries from being in the NFL, not sure of the connection, but many people with glacoma swear up and down by it. So I can't see where a study would hurt. It's not like it's going to stop them from smoking it if the judge said "no", so why not chart it and clinically see if it's doing anything one way or another?

WELL SAID! As far as pot and driving...treat it like booze. As for the NFL...I don't think players should be allowed to smoke it within 24-36 hours of a game....though I don't know if we have tests that can determine that.