PDA

View Full Version : Training camp reports and my concerns about the upcoming season..

ctchiefsfan
08-03-2016, 02:12 PM
As a long time dedicated out-of-area Chiefs fan I try to follow a variety of online sources to keep track of what is going on with the Chiefs during the off-season, OTAs and training camp but here is where I come to talk about our Chiefs. So a week into training camp and with Pre-Season looming I figured it was time to air my thoughts so far on our prospects for 2017 and some of my concerns.

Rumors from training camp....Generally they seem to be good. If I can believe what I read Tyreek Hill and Demarcus Robinson are looking pretty good so far. That bodes well for our offense. Our receiver situation has been weak at best for a while now and for two rookies to come on strong would be HUGE. Maclin and Kelce do a great job, but we need more true receiving threats than just those two. We're fine at running back, but we need a stronger passing game so I am pleased to see a couple of youngsters stepping up in training camp. All-in-all I think we can expect a more diversified and better offense this year.

On Defense I'm more worried. Sutton seems to run a Defense that relies on defenders pressing enemy receivers while the D-line pressures the enemy QB. And that has worked well! But with Houston recovering from his injury, Hali moving ever-closer to the day when he simply runs out of gas and Dee Ford having not impressed much so far I am worried that our Defense is going to be vulnerable to the pass-happy NFL. If our pass rush falters our secondary is going to be very vulnerable especially with Sean Smith gone to the double-damned Raiders. Yeah...I'm worried about our Defense. I suspect that if we can't get superior pressure on the QB our secondary will get picked apart.

All-in-all my take so far is that our Offense will be better than last year but our Defense may not be able to equal last year's performance.

Chiefs4life24
08-03-2016, 03:12 PM
I've read that Hill could end up being our Tyler Lockett that would be awesome he has the best cut I've ever seen in my life. Also the secondary is perhaps the strongest position on this team, with Gaines, Nelson, Russell, White and Murray we are just fine and will surprise a lot of people this year

ctchiefsfan
08-03-2016, 04:41 PM
I've read that Hill could end up being our Tyler Lockett that would be awesome he has the best cut I've ever seen in my life. Also the secondary is perhaps the strongest position on this team, with Gaines, Nelson, Russell, White and Murray we are just fine and will surprise a lot of people this year

I sure as hell hope you are right C4l.....If you are this could be a REALLY GREAT season.

Chiefs4life24
08-03-2016, 07:55 PM
On a side note im trying to make my fat self look like that haha. Robinson has great hands think Jason Avant just younger, faster, taller and better hands.

If Wilson doesnt have a monster year i would say trade him and keep Hill and Robinson, how awesome would it be if Hill turned into a tyler lockett for us. Maclin, Conley, Robinson and Hill in the slot with Kelce at TE and Charles in the backfield how the hell are you gonna stop that

Eydugstr
08-04-2016, 10:55 PM
My concern is our linebackers. No matter how many we seem to have on paper...We seem to have a trend of being short of them being 100% when it matters. Dee Ford must step up.

ctchiefsfan
08-05-2016, 10:23 AM
My concern is our linebackers. No matter how many we seem to have on paper...We seem to have a trend of being short of them being 100% when it matters. Dee Ford must step up.

Exactly my thoughts. With Houston out for an undetermined amount of time and Hali--as much as I love him--getting pretty long in the tooth, I see linebacker as potentially a gaping hole in this otherwise very talented team. Strange how these things work out...2 years ago with Houston and Hali we looked strong at LB but were weak as a crippled kitten at WR. Now we look all set at WR but LB seems to be a big question mark.

Surely do hope I am wrong.

Chiefs4life24
08-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Dee Ford, Ramik Wilson and Justin March we are gonna be fierce in Justin Houston's absence, especially March kid has a blood hound nose for the ball

ctchiefsfan
08-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Dee Ford, Ramik Wilson and Justin March we are gonna be fierce in Justin Houston's absence, especially March kid has a blood hound nose for the ball

I surely hope so.

ctchiefsfan
08-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Time for me to update this.

Of course as the season draws closer fans get more excited. That is just part of being a fan. So sometimes we simply get our hopes too high. I tend to be cautious about each season as I've been a Chiefs fan for a long time and have lived through a lot of disappointment, but I have to admit that I'm really excited about the Chiefs right now.

Last year we came within 8 points of making the AFC Championship game and we did that with JC, Houston, Hali and Maclin either out or so banged up as to not have much impact. I don't doubt for even a second that had we been healthy we would have played the damned donks for the AFC Championship and would have gone on to play in the Super Bowl. And that brings us to this year.

We lost some impact players in free agency and through retirement. And last year's dominant Defense is a question mark as a result. But if I can believe what I am hearing out of training camp I think we have dramatically improved our passing Offense with Hill and Robinson. If that is true and our Defense is anything close to what it was last year then our Chiefs are a team to be reckoned with this year.

Perhaps even more important we seem to be bringing in a lot of young, cheap impact players. That is the key to a team staying good long term. Thanks to the salary cap and free agency bringing in a steady crop of new young high impact talent is the very lifeblood of any NFL team.

Right now I'm feeling good about the 2016 Chiefs and more importantly I am feeling good about the next 3-4 years. I think this is the best time in a long time to be a Chiefs fan

Chiefs4life24
08-08-2016, 05:42 PM
The defence has been on fire this offseason

ctchiefsfan
08-08-2016, 10:19 PM
The defence has been on fire this offseason

If the Defense can play up to the last 2 years level along with the addition of Schwartz, Hill and Robinson this could be a very special year.

Chiefs4life24
08-08-2016, 11:19 PM
5 more days people and the dark days are over