PDA

View Full Version : Nick Foles to start at QB vs Jags

Justin5772002
11-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Per NFL mobile Nick Foles will start Sunday vs Jags and Alex Smith will not be available to play even in backup role. Hope Foles lasts all game or else we will be seeing Bray out there.

Seek
11-02-2016, 01:17 PM
But he was not concussed. I'm confused?

Kcman
11-02-2016, 01:23 PM
IM SOO PISSED OFF NEVER HAVE I SEEN A STARTING QB BENCH FOR A SCRATCH!!! HE PASSED ALL POTOCALS AND HE ON BENCH HE WONT EVEN COME IN IF FOLES GETS HURT THIS IS TACKLE FOOTBALL ANDY REID THIS NOT FLAG FOOTBALL!!! We will never see Houston IM RDY FOR NEW COACH WE LOSE THIS GAME!! WROST CALL IVE EVER SEEN BUY A COACH !! 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Chiefs4life24
11-02-2016, 01:40 PM
This decision is just fine, give Smith the week off, its not like we need him to kick the Jags asses

Coach
11-02-2016, 01:48 PM
IM SOO PISSED OFF NEVER HAVE I SEEN A STARTING QB BENCH FOR A SCRATCH!!! HE PASSED ALL POTOCALS AND HE ON BENCH HE WONT EVEN COME IN IF FOLES GETS HURT THIS IS TACKLE FOOTBALL ANDY REID THIS NOT FLAG FOOTBALL!!! We will never see Houston IM RDY FOR NEW COACH WE LOSE THIS GAME!! WROST CALL IVE EVER SEEN BUY A COACH !! 
Exactly why you are a fan, not the coach. Keep the big picture in mind. The health of our qb is paramount. When Alex is healthy he will start. Reid has already said that there is no qb controversy. Alex is our starting qb. When he's healthy. He's still going through concussion protocol.

Kcman
11-02-2016, 01:51 PM
I hope you right when we lose to 2-5 jags bc nick foles under thrown footballs.. never have i seen starting QB BENCH FOR A CUT ON EAR.. sorry no other team in the nfl would do it !! i thought romo pinky finger was crap this game of tackle football has become weak pretty soon it will be flag football

Kcman
11-02-2016, 02:06 PM
I disagree with you coach 💯 every game matters i dont no about you but i dont want to see kc haft play pats at home again in playoffs.. and kc takeing a lose to a team thats 2-5 one we should have won, with are starting qb for the last 4 years know the offense 💯 on bench bc he has a scratch on ear past all concussion pototocals with flying colors.. no other team in nfl would have dun this!! Can you tell me why year after year we have most players seting out bc of injuries?? I think this is bad move !! Not bc i think alex going lose his job !! Bc there no reason why he shouldnt be out there!!!

Justin5772002
11-02-2016, 02:09 PM
I hope you right when we lose to 2-5 jags bc nick foles under thrown footballs.. never have i seen starting QB BENCH FOR A CUT ON EAR.. sorry no other team in the nfl would do it !! i thought romo pinky finger was crap this game of tackle football has become weak pretty soon it will be flag footballover exaggerating there KCMan. the Jags are not a divisional opponent. This is a good game for Alex to rest up and take it off. He took a beating against the Colts. Even if we lost this game which we won't. We still hold the cards in the AFC west. Just gotta beat our division rivals in the donks 2x, Raiders once more, and Chargers once more and our division is ours

matthewschiefs
11-02-2016, 02:18 PM
PEOPLE CHILL THE FREAK OUT

Ok lets start with this Foles didn't look bad Sunday at all. The offense was not limited in the slightest. Against a MUCH better team then the one the Chiefs will be facing. This is not the end of the world. The difference against the Jags should not be who played QB. We SHOULD beat them WITH FOLES.

Next point I don't think you guys understand the situation. The Ear is something most people don't think about but it's kind of important. As someone who had count them 6 surgeries on his ear before he was in kindergarten I think I can speak to it. It still to this day affects me. Andy said in the post game Alex was having trouble with his equilibrium. Ears are no joke and can cause MAJOR issues folks.

Bottom line safety comes first. And this is a game the Chiefs SHOULD WIN regardless of who's the QB CALM DOWN folks. It's not a big deal or a surprise that he's going to miss a game.

NJChiefs
11-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Did anybody not see what I saw? He was clearly shaken, wobbly and confused after his head was literally slammed into the turf twice. I don't care what the stupid protocol said.. He had a concussion for sure. When people die after concussions, its because they get hit again soon after a recently unrecognized initial concussion. Foles played well, is a veteran and has a better arm than Smith. It makes all the sense in the world to sit Smith this week in a non division/conference game that we can afford to lose, but won't because Foles will play as well as Smith would have.

matthewschiefs
11-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Did anybody not see what I saw? He was clearly shaken, wobbly and confused after his head was literally slammed into the turf twice. I don't care what the stupid protocol said.. He had a concussion for sure. When people die after concussions, its because they get hit again soon after a recently unrecognized initial concussion. Foles played well, is a veteran and has a better arm than Smith. It makes all the sense in the world to sit Smith this week in a non division/conference game that we can afford to lose, but won't because Foles will play as well as Smith would have.

THIS

If you are upset that Alex is going to miss a game after this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqyeUSD5jAU&feature=youtu.be

Then you need to take a step back and think about what you are saying IMO

Chiefs4life24
11-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Its a medical fact that a cut on his ear would cause him to lose his balance, it can happen to me, you Kcman, Matthews, anybody, so yes he needed to be sat for this game its too dangerous to him having balance issues. So anyone that says dumb coach decision or the coach needs to fired is dead wrong. Also no way we lose to the Jags, Foles played damn good last time, so i dont know what tape you were watching. we could walk out their with a bunch of High School players and beat the Jags for Christ sake

ctchiefsfan
11-02-2016, 03:00 PM
WOW!!!! This thread went crazy REAL QUICK!

If I may I'll add my thoughts.....

As recently as Monday I posted on another site that I thought we should start Foles while making it CLEAR to Alex that he was NOT demoted and was on standby if Foles faltered--in short that this was just giving him a week off after the beating he took against the Colts. Alex has been through that once already in San Fran and if it happened again it would probably WRECK his confidence.

But now he is a SUPPOSEDLY healthy scratch. Let's remember folks that in addition to the injured ear (which as matthewschiefs has pointed out is a lot more serious than it sounds) he WAS concussed the second time he went down. That was made clear in the presser after the game.

The fact that he is not even available as a backup (we won't REALLY know until we see if he is listed as "OUT" for the game) tells me that he got worse beat up Sunday than we thought. Two hard shots to the head would certainly scramble my brain.

Kcman....I love you man and you can even have my Bud Light, but Alex is one tough SOB and you and I both KNOW that Alex wants to play this Sunday but Reid has to think long term. He has to think about making sure we have Alex Smith for the long run. I can't get too upset with Andy Reid for giving Alex the weekend off. Though if he is actually listed as "OUT" for the game I will be worried that maybe Alex Smith got beat up worse than we all thought.

As to the Jags this Sunday.....I don't think they will be "a piece of cake"....not in this NFL Parity Land. But I do think Foles can handle them. I'll feel a lot better though if Alex is listed as doubtful rather than out.

All-in-all I'm starting to suspect that we got beat up far worse against the Colts than we thought. JC gone. No word on Ware's status. Ehringer gone for the season. Smith either questionable or out this week. The win against the Colts is starting to look as if it was VERY VERY EXPENSIVE.

Yeah....we beat the Colts but I'm starting to wonder if the price we paid for this win was worth it.

ctchiefsfan
11-02-2016, 03:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqyeUSD5jAU&feature=youtu.be

OH! OH! SHIP!!!!!! That was HORRIBLE!!! Hadn't seen that slow-mo view before. Dunno how he got up and walked off the field after that. Hard to believe he is not a paraplegic after that hit. My neck is hurting just from watching that.

matthewschiefs
11-02-2016, 03:16 PM
OH! OH! SHIP!!!!!! That was HORRIBLE!!! Hadn't seen that slow-mo view before. Dunno how he got up and walked off the field after that. Hard to believe he is not a paraplegic after that hit. My neck is hurting just from watching that.

Part of the reason I posted it.

I hope after seeing this anyone thinking this is just a cut on the ear can see it's far more. Alex is lucky he's not on IR the way his neck snapped around. It was a brutal hit. We would be lucky if he misses 1 game folks

As for Ware I'm not expecting him to play either. Not many return to the field the week after these days and that's not a bad thing

Justin5772002
11-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Let's look at the bright side here at least our whole first string offense is out at the same time so the 2s will all go together. Sucks to say but it's almost true

Seek
11-02-2016, 04:32 PM

Yes. My comment was a SA comment. Of course he was concussed. This thread is expected

jason1981
11-02-2016, 04:41 PM
IM SOO PISSED OFF NEVER HAVE I SEEN A STARTING QB BENCH FOR A SCRATCH!!! HE PASSED ALL POTOCALS AND HE ON BENCH HE WONT EVEN COME IN IF FOLES GETS HURT THIS IS TACKLE FOOTBALL ANDY REID THIS NOT FLAG FOOTBALL!!! We will never see Houston IM RDY FOR NEW COACH WE LOSE THIS GAME!! WROST CALL IVE EVER SEEN BUY A COACH !! 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Wow seriously dude get a grip. Are you serious he hit his head twice in kn gwme and was woozy both times. Concussion or not its his head and brain its better to air on the side of caution. I dont blame anyone if they protected their head. Other injuries not so big deal. Head/brain injuries i dont fault anyone for take precaution. What smith went through in kne gwme is not normal. It might not been a concussion but it was something for sure. I thino you should be ashamed of yourself for putting a team above someones health. As far as the team goes i think foles came in and did a great job with no practice. And give him a week of practice and we should do good. Of all the games of smith to miss i would choose the jags for him to miss. So the timing is lucky on our part. I dont think the jags are as bad as they are but still its the better team to go against with our backup. I think foles has proven to be a decent player in reids systems. I just hope it doesnt lead tona qb controversy cuz i liked how smith was growing in sync. My only worry is smith missing a week and getting out of rythym but he will have plenty of time to get back before playoffs. Please kcmann never bash a guy when it comes to head injuries. Legs and arms can heal. Brains are a whole different level.

Kcman
11-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Thank you ctc think i need a bud light lol.. i just want this team to win and the info that was given i just didn't understand why he sat down.. i hope foles goes out there and gets the win but im very nervous about this game now .. with alex in i felt good about a win now im not soo confident.. i know its not a dev game but every win counts with raiders and donkeys 6-2 .. im old school smash mouth football its hard for me to adjust to all this break a pinky out of the game past concussion potocal and still on bench.. i dont no about u guys but i remmber watching Steve daberg break his throwing thumb go on side line pop it back in place and go throw a td..

ctchiefsfan
11-02-2016, 06:07 PM
I hear you Kcman. I too remember a time when it seemed that NFL players had more of the gladiator mentality then they do today. Pretty sure most of the guys here do to. That's part of the reason I don't second guess Reid for sending Alex back in after the first hit. But that second hit was just plain BRUTAL. If this coming game was against the donkeys with both teams tied for the division lead I don't think you could keep Alex from playing even by chaining him down but with what should be not such a tough game this Sunday I think it's better to go ahead and give him some time to rest. Head injuries can be some serious bad poop.

Chiefs4life24
11-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Next 3 are the Jags, Panthers and Bucs all should favor the Chiefs and none should be lost

matthewschiefs
11-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Thank you ctc think i need a bud light lol..i just want this team to win and the info that was given i just didn't understand why he sat down.. i hope foles goes out there and gets the win but im very nervous about this game now .. with alex in i felt good about a win now im not soo confident.. i know its not a dev game but every win counts with raiders and donkeys 6-2 .. im old school smash mouth football its hard for me to adjust to all this break a pinky out of the game past concussion potocal and still on bench.. i dont no about u guys but i remmber watching Steve daberg break his throwing thumb go on side line pop it back in place and go throw a td..

I can understand that

Without the whole living with ear problems I might have felt the same way.
Something else to keep in mind is there may very well be more to the story that we don't know

You mentioned the old school mentality and that could play a role here we know the whole ear issue because that's what you can see with just your eyes. There may be more wrong with him. Like his neck or something. Sometimes in that old school mentality teams keep that to themselves fearing it might become a target his next time out. Simply put If having Alex out there was reasonably safe and the best for the team he would be out there

NJChiefs
11-02-2016, 06:37 PM
i dont no about u guys but i remmber watching Steve daberg break his throwing thumb go on side line pop it back in place and go throw a td..

Dislocated thumb. Brain contusion.
Sore thumb for a couple of weeks. Permanent memory loss.
Swollen hand. Premature dementia.
Possible ligament damage. Possible brain hemorrhage leading to death.

Not a good comparison.

Kcman
11-02-2016, 07:34 PM
I get it maybe they should put fields back to grass !! And your correct bad comparison.. hope coach made right call .. sorry if i upset people..

rodu
11-02-2016, 07:44 PM
There's no way Smith isn't banged up after last week.

Chiefs4life24
11-02-2016, 07:59 PM
That was the debate when Independence High School went to turf, Chiefster can attest to this when Coffeyville went to turf. Turf is always tougher on a players body and joints than natural grass, the main reason teams or schools make the switch to turf is upkeep and cost you can install and maintain turf for the lifetime of the turf for a fraction of what it costs to maintain natural grass. Natural grass you have to sod, water, mow, fertilize, not to mention when it rains and tears the grass up, you might have to repair or replace entire sections of the grass, turf just install, and brush once a year.

ctchiefsfan
11-02-2016, 08:27 PM
I can understand that

Without the whole living with ear problems I might have felt the same way.
Something else to keep in mind is there may very well be more to the story that we don't know

You mentioned the old school mentality and that could play a role here we know the whole ear issue because that's what you can see with just your eyes. There may be more wrong with him. Like his neck or something. Sometimes in that old school mentality teams keep that to themselves fearing it might become a target his next time out. Simply put If having Alex out there was reasonably safe and the best for the team he would be out there

ABSOLUTELY!!!! In the simplest of terms there are lots of good reasons to sit him this week....ESPECIALLY AGAINST THE Jags. That said, like Kcman I'd feel better if Alex was listed as "questionable" or "doubtful" for this game. I'd just feel better if I knew Alex was available if Foles wasn't getting it done. But in the end it's Reid's call to make and I'm pretty darned certain he knows A LOT MORE about Alex's actual condition than any of us do. So....IN REID I TRUST.

ctchiefsfan
11-02-2016, 08:31 PM
That was the debate when Independence High School went to turf, Chiefster can attest to this when Coffeyville went to turf. Turf is always tougher on a players body and joints than natural grass, the main reason teams or schools make the switch to turf is upkeep and cost you can install and maintain turf for the lifetime of the turf for a fraction of what it costs to maintain natural grass. Natural grass you have to sod, water, mow, fertilize, not to mention when it rains and tears the grass up, you might have to repair or replace entire sections of the grass, turf just install, and brush once a year.

YUP....NFL teams use astroturf because it adds to the bottom line. Goodell would gain A LOT of respect in my eyes (he has almost none now) if he would require all teams to switch back to natural grass.

NJChiefs
11-02-2016, 08:47 PM
If based on an expert medical opinion, Smith is at serious risk if he sustains another blow to the head before he is fully healed, he cannot be questionable or even doubtful "just in case" he is needed if Foles goes down or is playing poorly. Don't be surprised if he sits for more than just this week. Just as when Andy Reid downplayed JCs going to visit the world's expert knee orthopedist as a "positive thing" when we all suspected this was the end of his season, this may be more serious than first suggested. And where is Justin "Houston"? Suddenly according to Reid, it's "a stretch" to think that he could play against the Jaguars... when the time limit to be listed on the PUP list expires Nov 9. Don't be surprised if we don't see him either this year.

ctchiefsfan
11-02-2016, 10:03 PM
If based on an expert medical opinion, Smith is at serious risk if he sustains another blow to the head before he is fully healed, he cannot be questionable or even doubtful "just in case" he is needed if Foles goes down or is playing poorly.

Couldn't agree with you more Jersey. That is why I'd feel better if Alex was listed as "questionable" or "doubtful". It would make me feel better about the Jags game but it would also make me feel better about Smith's availability in the longer term.

Don't be surprised if he sits for more than just this week. Just as when Andy Reid downplayed JCs going to visit the world's expert knee orthopedist as a "positive thing" when we all suspected this was the end of his season, this may be more serious than first suggested. And where is Justin "Houston"? Suddenly according to Reid, it's "a stretch" to think that he could play against the Jaguars... when the time limit to be listed on the PUP list expires Nov 9. Don't be surprised if we don't see him either this year.

Yeah....Possibly losing Alex for several weeks is what really concerns me. As to Justin Houston....If he is not activated by November 9 then IMO we are DEEPLY IN THE POOP. I think we might could maybe get through the next 3 weeks without them both and still be in the fight for the AFC West but IMO we need Alex, Houston and Ware back by November 27 against the Donkeys AT THE LATEST. Reid may be the Guru of "next man up", but I'm not sure we can stay competitive if we don't get these 3 guys back by the first donkey game.

Eydugstr
11-03-2016, 08:37 AM
Let's put this in some perspective...The concussion protocol is a fairly new thing far as the NFL is concerned. It's going to take awhile for teams to implement it in a way that gets it right the first time. Especially when it's run by guys who did play in the years when they were told to "Tape an aspirin to it and get back in there..." Pretty sure that Alex is smart & competitive enough that when they were going through the protocol tests, he was doing everything he could to pass.

At home, everybody and his brother's cousin could see Alex was wobbly getting up with help from Spencer Ware. M/c's video post of the second hit says it all, especially with the way his neck whips around.

My question(s) right now would be: Are the medical staff and officials on the sidelines looking at the video of possible concussions? or are they just solely going by testing the player? It's possible when Ware raised Alex up, the people that really needed to see what we saw on TV were behind both Alex and Ware.

I'm glad they're giving Alex a break. We do need every W we can get but not at the expense of anybody's post-NFL career health.

ctchiefsfan
11-03-2016, 12:31 PM
I get it maybe they should put fields back to grass !! And your correct bad comparison.. hope coach made right call .. sorry if i upset people..

You surely didn't offend me. You are a CHIEFS FAN and I expect Chiefs fans to be PASSIONATE. Sure maybe we all go "a little over the top" from time to time but that's OK. Passion makes people do that sometimes. I have said some pretty crazy things in my life because of my passion for the Chiefs. How could I get upset with someone for doing the same sort of thing I have done so many times?

Kcman
11-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Thank you ctc for understanding!

ctchiefsfan
11-04-2016, 12:47 AM
No worries Man!