PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith......

matthewschiefs
11-18-2016, 04:19 PM
It has been a while since we have had a QB thread

No this is not an Alex Smith hate thread or a thread calling for the backup

This is an It's time for Alex Smith to step it up thread

In the past, I've defended Alex on many occasions. As I did for Cassel. And I stand by every word I said then and now. The simple fact is this team was never going anywhere giving any QB a disinterested Bowe (after he got his payday) and a bunch of no-name guys. (see Frankie Hammond, Aj Jenkins ECT)

But thankfully times have changed. We don't have that now. This is has a defense that is a legit super bowl defense. This has never been more true. Look at the BIG name QBs they have handled Brees,Luck,Newton. We went to Oakland who was a top 5 offense and rolling and shut them down. And they did all of this without one of if not their best player Justin Houston.

I spent this past summer watching a team defy all the odds without their best player. It was exciting it was fun to watch and very enjoyable. They came up 1 game short. They ran out of gas the odds at the end caught up with them. This D has also defied all the odds having such a young secondary being without Houston. I don't want to see them run out of gas. They need a couple of 4th quarters where they can be the ones to relax. That they are not having to fight like hell just to hold on.

The offense simply has to step it up. That starts with Alex Smith. He has been given more to work with than any QB the Chiefs have had in over 10 years. It's time to step it up. It's time to show YOU have what it takes. I can tell you watching a team or group run out of gas just short isn't fun. Lets not have it come to that

Kcman
11-18-2016, 04:46 PM
I agree matt alex needs step up and play like the vet he is but i can put 💯 on alex shoulders bc reid play calling been just aweful i love read dont get me wrong but i dont think he should. All the plays!!

ctchiefsfan
11-19-2016, 05:26 AM
It has been a while since we have had a QB thread

No this is not an Alex Smith hate thread or a thread calling for the backup

This is an It's time for Alex Smith to step it up thread

In the past, I've defended Alex on many occasions. As I did for Cassel. And I stand by every word I said then and now. The simple fact is this team was never going anywhere giving any QB a disinterested Bowe (after he got his payday) and a bunch of no-name guys. (see Frankie Hammond, Aj Jenkins ECT)

But thankfully times have changed. We don't have that now. This is has a defense that is a legit super bowl defense. This has never been more true. Look at the BIG name QBs they have handled Brees,Luck,Newton. We went to Oakland who was a top 5 offense and rolling and shut them down. And they did all of this without one of if not their best player Justin Houston.

I spent this past summer watching a team defy all the odds without their best player. It was exciting it was fun to watch and very enjoyable. They came up 1 game short. They ran out of gas the odds at the end caught up with them. This D has also defied all the odds having such a young secondary being without Houston. I don't want to see them run out of gas. They need a couple of 4th quarters where they can be the ones to relax. That they are not having to fight like hell just to hold on.

The offense simply has to step it up. That starts with Alex Smith. He has been given more to work with than any QB the Chiefs have had in over 10 years. It's time to step it up. It's time to show YOU have what it takes. I can tell you watching a team or group run out of gas just short isn't fun. Lets not have it come to that

I concur. This is OUR YEAR. Alex doesn't have to be Joe Montana. But every year he has had in KC has been a "best" for him. He needs to "step up to the plate" and have his best year ever. DO IT ALEX!!!

NJChiefs
11-19-2016, 12:33 PM
We just have to keep squeaking out barely wins that should be easier, while half of our team gets healthy enough to play. This injury situation is absurd.

ctchiefsfan
11-19-2016, 12:53 PM
We just have to keep squeaking out barely wins that should be easier, while half of our team gets healthy enough to play. This injury situation is absurd.

That is for certain!

matthewschiefs
11-19-2016, 03:37 PM

The injuries have hurt no doubt.

And getting our guys back will help in itself

But the offense has left a lot of points on the board with just simple mistakes. That's what they have to fix. Stop getting in your own way. That starts with Alex Smith IMO.

ctchiefsfan
11-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Plenty of truth there mattewschiefs. Alex has a lot more weapons to play with than when he got here and he needs to take better advantage of them. He is a good QB when he is "on" and last week was--to be nice--not his best effort.

Chiefster
11-19-2016, 09:26 PM
We don't have the Dick Vermeil type of explosive offense nor the QB that's going to "WOW" the crowds or the pundits. However, what we do have is a seasoned, veteran QB that takes care of the ball, makes few mistakes and has found a way to lead his team to a 7-2 record to this point putting us at the top of the AFC West. Now I would be very much remiss not to acknowledge the fact that our defense has had as much, if not more, to do with that outcome as the rest of the team. What I like is our team cohesiveness as a whole, and the fact that because our offense doesn't exactly light up the "fantasy football" circles we tend to get overlooked; which, by the way, is how I like it. It's when you fly out from under the radar is when you tend to get everyone's "A" game - so to speak. Having said all that; I agree we do need much more production out of our offense and as the offensive leader it does start with Smith, but I don't believe the lack of offensive production is necessarily a reflection of Smith's leadership as it is with offensive execution as a whole: QB, OL, RB, FB, TE and WR.

Good thread Matt!

Eydugstr
11-19-2016, 10:46 PM
I concur. This is OUR YEAR. Alex doesn't have to be Joe Montana. But every year he has had in KC has been a "best" for him. He needs to "step up to the plate" and have his best year ever. DO IT ALEX!!!

I'm not sure this is "our year" but I'm definitely convinced it can happen in the next 2-3 years. We're only two wins away from having 4 consecutive winning seasons in a row. That's saying something given what we were like before Reid or Alex Smith showed up.

To the OP - Alex Smith seems to be having a really streaky season so far. He started off with the greatest comeback win in the history of the team, throwing for 362 yards...and then in the last game he throws for 178 yards, no TD's and a pick. His passing was all over the place, and at one point was beginning to think maybe he should've sat out the Panthers game.

While our WR corps is MUCH improved over what we had from 2013-'14, it still can do better. Too many drops. Tyreek Hill is awesome but I'm worried we're keying on him way too much, and if Hill goes down to injury, then what?

matthewschiefs
11-19-2016, 11:29 PM
We don't have the Dick Vermeil type of explosive offense nor the QB that's going to "WOW" the crowds or the pundits. However, what we do have is a seasoned, veteran QB that takes care of the ball, makes few mistakes and has found a way to lead his team to a 7-2 record to this point putting us at the top of the AFC West. Now I would be very much remiss not to acknowledge the fact that our defense has had as much, if not more, to do with that outcome as the rest of the team. What I like is our team cohesiveness as a whole, and the fact that because our offense doesn't exactly light up the "fantasy football" circles we tend to get overlooked; which, by the way, is how I like it. It's when you fly out from under the radar is when you tend to get everyone's "A" game - so to speak. Having said all that; I agree we do need much more production out of our offense and as the offensive leader it does start with Smith, but I don't believe the lack of offensive production is necessarily a reflection of Smith's leadership as it is with offensive execution as a whole: QB, OL, RB, FB, TE and WR.

Good thread Matt!

I don't mean to say that either.

But given the spot he plays it starts with him stepping it up. In the past I've given him a pass due to the total lack of talent I saw around him. Now not so much. This team can go as far as any team in the NFL. But to get there the offense is going to have to step up their play. Stop with the drops,yes. But Alex has to stop missing WIDE open guys in the endzone as well. It starts with him. I hope to see a much better effort tomorrow

KCMASS
11-20-2016, 07:34 AM
I'm not sure this is "our year" but I'm definitely convinced it can happen in the next 2-3 years. We're only two wins away from having 4 consecutive winning seasons in a row. That's saying something given what we were like before Reid or Alex Smith showed up.

To the OP - Alex Smith seems to be having a really streaky season so far. He started off with the greatest comeback win in the history of the team, throwing for 362 yards...and then in the last game he throws for 178 yards, no TD's and a pick. His passing was all over the place, and at one point was beginning to think maybe he should've sat out the Panthers game.

While our WR corps is MUCH improved over what we had from 2013-'14, it still can do better. Too many drops. Tyreek Hill is awesome but I'm worried we're keying on him way too much, and if Hill goes down to injury, then what?

Eydugstr: Your sentence about Tyreek Hill is a major concern for me as well. He's a little spark plug type & it worries me w/ more plays he's been given as of late. If you account for KR/PR & his production as a WR, it's huge for us. Even with his issues from school & life, he's turned out to be one of the best steals in the draft.

Eydugstr
11-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Eydugstr: Your sentence about Tyreek Hill is a major concern for me as well. He's a little spark plug type & it worries me w/ more plays he's been given as of late. If you account for KR/PR & his production as a WR, it's huge for us. Even with his issues from school & life, he's turned out to be one of the best steals in the draft.

Absolutely. And if Hill's the only guy wide open, yes definitely throw him the ball.

NJChiefs
11-20-2016, 04:29 PM
Having been a long distance fan forever, and not having seen us in a Superbowl since 1970, I won't be satisfied until we go all the way again. You youngsters don't know the feeling of waking up to the bold newspaper (what's that?) headlines reading "HAIL TO THE CHIEFS!" I like Alex Smith. I mean really, who doesn't? But we just aren't going to make it to the promised land with Captain Checkdown. We just aren't.

Chiefs4life24
11-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Sometimes check downs are the best option so that's fine

slc chief
11-20-2016, 05:38 PM
I agree matt alex needs step up and play like the vet he is but i can put 💯 on alex shoulders bc reid play calling been just aweful i love read dont get me wrong but i dont think he should. All the plays!!

You realize alex has alot to do with play calls right. Reid gives him full control of changing the plays and alot of times he does

NJChiefs
11-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Sometimes check downs are the best option so that's fine

You're fine with everything. Win or lose. All is good. Glass half full. Every cloud has a silver lining. Light at the end of the tunnel. Hope around the corner. Yada yada yada. Some of us really want to win. And it blows when it doesn't happen because of a missing piece or two. So no. It's not fine. Don't tell me what is fine. Losing is fine for you maybe. He's known as captain checkdown not because he does it when appropriate, but because he checks down wide open receivers in favor of a screen for a five yard gain. And yes I know we are 18-4 in our last 22 games. But you do want to win a Superbowl, don't you? Are we going to do that with a QB is at best an average QB? And no. I don't "hate" him. I know you frown upon the word. He is a good guy. A highly respected team leader. I want a guy with a wicked arm and the confidence to throw the ball down the field with the game on the line even if it's not a high percentage pass. Not a 7 yard pass from our 28 yard line with 10 seconds on the clock and us down 19-17.

ctchiefsfan
11-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Having been a long distance fan forever, and not having seen us in a Superbowl since 1970, I won't be satisfied until we go all the way again. You youngsters don't know the feeling of waking up to the bold newspaper (what's that?) headlines reading "HAIL TO THE CHIEFS!" I like Alex Smith. I mean really, who doesn't? But we just aren't going to make it to the promised land with Captain Checkdown. We just aren't.

I speak as another long-time out-of-area fan....

I like Alex. He is a GUTSY little S.O.B. Not afraid to run with the ball and not afraid to lower his head and run a defender over to get a 1st down or a TD. (though I wonder if those hits against the Colts didn't make him a little skittish) Yeah....I like Alex.

Can he get us to a Super Bowl? Yes. Can he win us a Super Bowl? Yes. Will he? Not as likely as if we had a QB that was more comfortable with a medium to long range passing game. Is that Alex's fault or Reid's fault? I don't know. But for now I ain't going to complain much. 3 winning seasons in a row. A playoff win FINALLY! On our way to another playoff appearance and a 4th winning season. No....I ain't going to complain too much.

Do we need a young, hot-shot, kick-ash QB? Yeah...probably. But we ain't going to get one this year so all I can say is GO CHIEFS!!!!!

matthewschiefs
11-20-2016, 10:47 PM
You're fine with everything. Win or lose. All is good. Glass half full. Every cloud has a silver lining. Light at the end of the tunnel. Hope around the corner. Yada yada yada. Some of us really want to win. And it blows when it doesn't happen because of a missing piece or two. So no. It's not fine. Don't tell me what is fine. Losing is fine for you maybe. He's known as captain checkdown not because he does it when appropriate, but because he checks down wide open receivers in favor of a screen for a five yard gain. And yes I know we are 18-4 in our last 22 games. But you do want to win a Superbowl, don't you? Are we going to do that with a QB is at best an average QB? And no. I don't "hate" him. I know you frown upon the word. He is a good guy. A highly respected team leader. I want a guy with a wicked arm and the confidence to throw the ball down the field with the game on the line even if it's not a high percentage pass. Not a 7 yard pass from our 28 yard line with 10 seconds on the clock and us down 19-17.

I have never felt this is a criticism that should go on Alex but Reid.

The screens people talk about isn't Alex checking down the plays have a predetermined throw in them. It's a criticism that Philly fans had with Andy Reid as well.

The pick Alex threw today was a play that had a predetermined throw in it. Andy said it in the post game.

Andy's offensive playbook at times can limit a team in itself. It is outdated.

I have noticed however they are starting to try to work downfield more. With Hill coming on they are trying to use him as a deep threat. Alex hit him on a nice play today. I've been screaming all year that we do better when we are throwing the ball past the line.

When we are running jet sweeps to the TE and screens not so much it's very frustrating

NJChiefs
11-21-2016, 10:20 AM
I was a little hot-headed after yesterday's game. My apologies to C4L. Please don't mistake passion for disrespect. Connecticut, I was satisfied and perfectly happy with our season and playoff win last year. that's all I wanted. This year I'd be in the AFC Championship game, and next year the Super Bowl. Anything else means going backwards, right? I have to keep remembering ... the Bucks won the SB with Trent Dilfer, didn't they?

ctchiefsfan
11-21-2016, 01:55 PM
I was a little hot-headed after yesterday's game. My apologies to C4L. Please don't mistake passion for disrespect. Connecticut, I was satisfied and perfectly happy with our season and playoff win last year. that's all I wanted. This year I'd be in the AFC Championship game, and next year the Super Bowl. Anything else means going backwards, right? I have to keep remembering ... the Bucks won the SB with Trent Dilfer, didn't they?

Ah hell Jersey...We all want the same thing. :smile Y'know, out-of-area fans (real fans, not flavor of the year fans) are a strange breed. We both live in an area with 3 teams to choose from. Pats, Giants and Jets. The Pats have been the dominant team in the NFL for what seems like forever. If we could become Fans of one of the "local" teams we could talk with our co-workers about our team, there would be pages and pages to read about our team in the local newspapers and on the TV news. Our team would be on TV every week. But NO! We are Chiefs fans! We choose to be fans of a team that is over 1,000 miles away. Our co-workers think we are weird. Nothing in the local papers or on TV about our team. Yet we remain Chiefs fans.

Somehow losing a game we should win affects us all differently. We see people get mad at the coach. Others get mad at the QB. Others get mad at the whole team. I don't get mad right now because after all the disappointment I've had as a Chiefs fan the turnaround since Reid and Dorsey came to town has just been so much fun for me. The losses still hurt--especially the ones that we should have won. But I just can't get mad about it. But that's just me. Like I said...us out-of-area fans are a weird breed. :smile

GO CHIEFS!!!

Kcman
11-21-2016, 07:29 PM
Yea slc i dont know that.. im not saying he doesn't need step up i agree but also the play calling been at its worst sense the good OC gone to eagles.. i love this team i want a superbowl like the rest and i get out of control sometimes C4l and ctc always manage get me back to earth lol but im very pationate about this team i have faith in all the guys and i promise you we beat denver sky the limit for this team!! Me and ctc called the denver win last year when all thought we were crazy i have another great feeling this Sunday night !!

Chiefs4life24
11-21-2016, 07:49 PM
Hey guys all I'm saying is it could be worse, we are 7-3 and control our fates, we could be subjected to and suffer through the Browns season

ctchiefsfan
11-21-2016, 11:13 PM
Yea slc i dont know that.. im not saying he doesn't need step up i agree but also the play calling been at its worst sense the good OC gone to eagles.. i love this team i want a superbowl like the rest and i get out of control sometimes C4l and ctc always manage get me back to earth lol but im very pationate about this team i have faith in all the guys and i promise you we beat denver sky the limit for this team!! Me and ctc called the denver win last year when all thought we were crazy i have another great feeling this Sunday night !!

Hey Kcman....I'm really glad you have a "feeling" about the Donkey game!!!! I don't one way or the other yet. It's going to be the most important game of the year so far for our Chiefs. A win puts us right back in the hunt for the AFC West. A loss sets us back to hunting for a wildcard slot. THERE IS NO DOUBT that we are a better team this year. NONE AT ALL. But it will take a TEAM EFFORT to beat the donks. It's not a game we can win with just our Defense. The Offense needs to pull their ship together and BBQ up some Donkey meat Sunday night. Whupping some donkey butt Sunday night would get us back on track after 3 games where we just didn't play as well as we can. This one is a MUST WIN! DEAD DONKEYS IS GOOD DONKEYS!!!!

SR22
11-22-2016, 12:36 PM
The offense simply has to step it up. That starts with Alex Smith.

I agree, but can we realistically expect Alex Smith to be any better than he has been the past 3 1/2 years? He is what he is, but at this point he's probably slightly less than what he used to be.

One of Smith's best attributes has been his ability to scramble when needed, pick up 1st downs with his legs and keep drives alive. Now at 32 years old with injury concerns, that part of his game will only decline. He's now going to have to trust his eyes, arm and pocket passing skills more, and unfortunately that's not his strength.

Chiefs4life24
11-22-2016, 01:15 PM
The Offense has to step up and that Starts completely with ANDY REID!!!

NJChiefs
11-23-2016, 10:35 AM
After the first game, I thought we were seeing the new and confident Alex Smith that could take the reins of the offense. But he has slowly crawled back into his conservative shell. Hopefully he can break back out and lead us deep into the playoffs. This week will speak volumes.

Kcman
11-24-2016, 11:52 PM
Ive put alot of thought in this alex does make some bone head mistakes sometimes but not as much as others but i rly think it comes down to play calling its just been awful im sorry alex shouldnt haft keep dealing with 3rd in long before he thorws down field it would be nice if ried just once not call a game were we have 10 screen play for - yards lets get back in shotgun run some damb routes !! And draws and some pistols!! Think its time to move away from the cute jet sweeps ! And screen plays.. lets blow defense mind !! Wow kc didnt run one screen there attacking us with slats and deep routes and some hb counters plays .... i rly dont think its all alex at all from the alex i see now pulling the trigger is a way different alex ive seen before.. reid offense and play calling been around a long time teams have years of it in film room.. think he just needs to start changing things up .. and i feel andy very smart coach and i know deep down he knows it to and I believe this donkey game he going bring something different to table something donkeys haven't seen all year and were going to blow denver up!!... thats my hope .. now my fear he to stubborn to relize he needs chang things up and stays with same ole crap thats not working at all im not a dc and i know if i was going play kc were going watch for screens and jetsweeps 1st..now on other hand there been alot of droped balls this year very very disappointing.. something they need to clean up and O-line needs to play with gritt again so we can run some!! This team can be superbowl contenders!! We have the talent!! If cowboys can go 10-1 with rookie qb and rb we can win the afc west!!

Chiefster
11-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Hey Kcman....I'm really glad you have a "feeling" about the Donkey game!!!! I don't one way or the other yet. It's going to be the most important game of the year so far for our Chiefs. A win puts us right back in the hunt for the AFC West. A loss sets us back to hunting for a wildcard slot. THERE IS NO DOUBT that we are a better team this year. NONE AT ALL. But it will take a TEAM EFFORT to beat the donks. It's not a game we can win with just our Defense. The Offense needs to pull their ship together and BBQ up some Donkey meat Sunday night. Whupping some donkey butt Sunday night would get us back on track after 3 games where we just didn't play as well as we can. This one is a MUST WIN! DEAD DONKEYS IS GOOD DONKEYS!!!!

...This!

That is all.