PDA

View Full Version : Do Statistics Matter?

NJChiefs
12-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Don't mean to harp on the negative, but I need to find a way to respond to all my friends claims that the Chiefs are nothing more than a lucky and opportunistic team who have just have not been exposed yet. We are near the bottom of both the offensive (24th) and defensive (27th) categories in terms of yards, and far below the Titans in both (7th offense) categories. Yet we sport a 10-3 record. Other than last weeks game it primarily has to do with points off turnovers. Isn't this somewhat of a "lucky" category. So thinking about this "objectively", what say you guys?

Justin5772002
12-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Don't mean to harp on the negative, but I need to find a way to respond to all my friends claims that the Chiefs are nothing more than a lucky and opportunistic team who have just have not been exposed yet. We are near the bottom of both the offensive (24th) and defensive (27th) categories in terms of yards, and far below the Titans in both (7th offense) categories. Yet we sport a 10-3 record. Other than last weeks game it primarily has to do with points off turnovers. Isn't this somewhat of a "lucky" category. So thinking about this "objectively", what say you guys?

I say the Chiefs have had one of the toughest schedules in football. I say that they've beaten playoff contender after playoff contender. The Chiefs beat Oakland not once but twice. There's 3 games left and one more win punches our ticket to the playoffs. I don't see how anyone can doubt how good our Chiefs really are we have the 2nd best record in the league. Go take a look at the Cowboys full schedule and tell me they are a better team than our Chiefs. They've had a significantly easier schedule than us.

TopekaRoy
12-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Do stats matter? Some of them do. Won-Loss record, point differential, and turnover margin are the most important.

The Chiefs strength of victories (.481) is the 2nd highest in the AFC behind only San Diego (.492). Our turnover margin is 3rd (+11) and take-aways (25) is tied for first in the NFL. Our red zone defense is among the best giving up mostly field goals instead of touchdowns.

But wins and losses are the most important stats and really the only one that REALLY matters.

ctchiefsfan
12-18-2016, 11:39 AM

Jersey....You bring up 2 statistics that should be of some concern to all Chiefs fans. Those stats can not be laughed away or pooh-pooh'd. But those stats are not the only stats there are. Here are a few more.

Only team to beat the Raiders TWICE. In fact only 1 other team has managed to beat the Raiders even once!

First in what is considered to be the toughest division in the AFC.

Undefeated in our division.

We've beaten most of the "best" teams in the AFC.

We've beaten most of the "best" QBs in the AFC.

Second in the AFC in turnover differential.

Lastly....a famous old saying..."There are liars, damned liars and then there are statistics. Years ago, I took a college course in statistics. D'you the single most important fact I learned in that class? Simply this....you can "massage" and "twist" the numbers to make them "prove" almost anything you want.Final important statistic....Every professional pollster had statistics that PROVED that Donald Trump was going to get his butt whupped. But love him or hate him his title is now "President-Elect".

So yeah, those statistics you mentioned are enough to cause some worry. But they don't change a few simple FACTS. #1 in the AFC West. 10-3. Currently #2 seed in the AFC.

NJChiefs
12-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Well said guys. Watch out Steelers / Pats or whomever we meet in the playoffs.